Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 5 of Aftermath
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
2,390
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
13
Hits:
1,107

The Lion's Den

Summary:

Crichton takes a gamble while his friends hold their breath.

Work Text:

Aftermath 5: The Lion's Den
A "Farscape" story
Written by Alison M. DOBELL


They were approaching the landing bay. Bialar Crais walked behind the repulsorlift bearing Crichton. Ka D'Argo and Chiana walked in front to guide the repulsorlift to where Talyn was docked to Moya. Zhaan and Rygel had already given John their good wishes and now watched from command, their eyes glued to the monitor Pilot had activated for them. Aeryn was walking beside Crais, her expression determined. Lips pressed together in a tight stubborn line. An expression he knew well.

"This is not a request. I am coming with you."

He shook his head. "No, Aeryn, it's too dangerous."

"I am not afraid."

"Not dangerous for you," He explained. "Dangerous for John. My plan hinges on my ability to convince the medtech crew that I am acting under Scorpius's instruction. That this is a top secret mission. You on the other hand are supposed to be dead."

"You forget you are wanted."

He nodded. "Yes, but it will be easier for them to believe that I have been working undercover for Scorpius all this time, than believe that I betrayed them."

"It won't work."

"Yes, it will." He paused, his voice dropping further. "It is also John's best chance. Or would you rather leave him like this?"

They had reached the docking area. Crais nodded to D'Argo and gave a nonverbal command to Talyn to let him load the repulsorlift pallet with John on it. Chiana accompanied him. Crais hung back, his eye on Aeryn. "You know I'm right, Aeryn." He added softly.

She looked at him with sad eyes, glassy with emotion. "You had better be right."

Crais nodded. "I *will* look after him, Aeryn. You have my word on
that."

She looked at him and read the sincerity in his voice and his eyes. She nodded then watched him board Moya. D'Argo and Chiana walking back to join Aeryn. Chiana looked as if she wanted to cry. Aeryn sighed. "I hope we're not making a terrible mistake."

D'Argo nodded. "As do I."

* * * * *

Once aboard Talyn, Crais made sure that Crichton was settled. He took a few moments to update Talyn on what was happening and what he intended to do. The ship was anxious, not keen on heading back into Peace Keeper territory. Crais nodded. "I know, Talyn. It will be a risk for us all but if we don't do this he will die. Not quickly but a microdench at a time. That, I would wish on no one."

Talyn's lights flickered as his anxiety ran the length of the ship. Crais did not show any alarm, his voice calm and soothing as he spoke. Full of confidence. Talyn settled and agreed to do as Crais asked. The former Peace Keeper Commander inclined his head a little. "Thank you."

He set the co-ordinates to the medical ship then went to check on his guest. Crichton was awake, staring straight up at the ceiling, calmed by the the way the organic ship changed colour. It was strangely soothing, as if the ship was trying to ease any trauma he might be feeling. But that was impossible, right? For the journey he had been connected up to Talyn's environmental systems, so in effect the ship was in charge of his well being. He did not know that of course. It was not like anyone had asked him. But little hints leaked through his consciousness. When he felt the onset of depression it was like a gradual influx of endomorphins flooding his system, and then there was this weird thing, like a heartbeat throbbing gently through his veins in a kind of hypnotic fashion. It steadied him and made him believe that they could really bring this off. Really save him. Or. Maybe he was just going plain old nuts.

He looked at Crais. What did you do to me, Crais? What the hell am I hooked into anyway?

Crais had his head slightly tilted as if he was listening before answering. "It was Talyn's idea. You're connected up to him. He is monitoring your life signs, ensuring your well being. You are perfectly safe." He paused and gave a look suspiciously like that of a proud father. "You are highly honoured."

Crichton was not really listening to how wonderful Crais thought Talyn was. He was staring at him. You can hear my thoughts?

He shook his head and touched his chest. "Not I. Talyn. Because of my link to Talyn what he feels, hears and senses, so do I."

Are you saying when he pumps whatever he pumps into me to keep me alive, you can feel that too?

Crais smiled at his description. "Crude but accurate."

Crichton was fascinated by Moya's offspring. He had been aboard Talyn before but that had not been in the best of circumstances. At the time he and Aeryn had been trying their best to keep Crais from having any contact with Talyn. That worked like a charm He thought. He could only hope their luck would be much better than that. For some reason he was feeling more confident that it would be. He watched a smile creep over Crais's face and realised he could probably pick up the thought through Talyn. Traitor He thought to the little ship. Something trembled through his veins and he closed his eyes a microt. When he opened them again Crais had a little look of concern on his face which quickly fled when he saw Crichton looking back at him.

"Another advantage." Said Crais slowly. "Is that we can communicate."

Or not Thought Crichton.

Crais chuckled. "You should sleep now, John. It is a long journey."

He was going to argue but no sooner had Crais expressed the wish for him to sleep than Talyn acted on it, secretions flitering through his body that made him feel dizzy and increasingly disorientated.

Or maybe I will take a short nap He mumbled in his mind. Eyes closing. Will seduced into a mind numbing parody of sleep.

Crais watched him for several microts. Thinking about all that had happened between them. The crazy casual violence of a rage he had not been able to hold in check, passions that had almost destroyed not only Crichton but himself. Now here they were. Unlikely allies. It amazed him the peace he felt and knew the reason was Talyn. His link to this leviathan had changed his life utterly. Remade him into the man he wished he had been not the one who rose up through Peace Keeper ranks intent on being the biggest bully in the galaxy. No. His needs were simpler now. His appetites easier to satisfy. By helping Crichton he could lay some of his own ghosts to rest and perhaps, just perhaps, remember his brother without pain.

* * * * *

Chiana was cross with just about everybody. Even D'Argo could not carry a conversation with her. In frustration he stopped her from walking off as he was trying to talk to her. "You are going nowhere until you talk to me!"

"Oh yeah? Think again!"

She dodged and almost got by him, so quick and nimble was she. D'Argo only just got hold of her, pushed her gently but firmly against the organic bulkhead and stared at her. "Will you just stand still a microt? What in hezmana has got into you?"

He saw there were tears in her eyes. "How could you do it?"

"Do what?"

"Let Crais take Crichton?"

He sighed. "My heart is heavy too, Chiana, but it is what he wants."

"How do you know? How do any of us know? So he blinked his eyes. Big frelling deal. What's that supposed to mean?"

"Chiana..."

She shook her head. "No, D'Argo. I know I went along with everyone else and I know there was little choice but don't ask me to like it. To feel good about myself."

"I understand."

Chiana paused, looked down a microt, getting her emotions under control. She had always had a soft spot for Crichton. He was the first person who had ever shown her compassion, ever tried to make her feel she could fit in, be part of this crew. He was like a brother to her and now she felt they had somehow abandoned him to his fate. She looked at D'Argo, her head tilted so she was looking up through her eyelashes at him. "I feel as if I'm never gonna see him again."

"Don't talk like that."

She straightened. "Why not?"

"Because it's not true."

"You don't know that, admit it."

He opened his mouth to throw her words back at her but he could not do it. She was right. He did not know. His face fell and she was sorry. Her hand drifted up to touch his face. "What happens if Crais keeps him?"

"Why would he do that?"

She shrugged, slowly drawing her hand down his face and along his tentacles. He felt physical emotions begin to stir. "Chiana. What are you doing?"

She leaned in to him, licked his chin slowly. Watched his eyes start to close with the bliss of it. "What do you think I'm doing?"

He opened his mouth to protest but no words came out as she sidled up against him, wanting to lose herself in his embrace. Warm the cold icicles invading her heart with his warrior's heat.

"Chiana, I..."

He never finished the sentence. Chiana's supple body moulding to his own as she writhed slowly up against him, stroking, kissing and invading all his senses. Giving in he kissed her and she wrapped her legs around him, hooking the ankles into the small of his back as she egged him on, increasing the sensations that would drive him mad with passion. On some level he knew why she was doing this but his body did not care. Too many cycles alone had not been good for him. When a starved man saw food he did not stop to look for knives and forks, he just tucked right in.

* * * * *

Crichton was still asleep when they came upon the medtech ship's position. Crais went to see him before initiating contact with them. He looked down at his sleeping form, watched the nutrients flow into his body through the organic tubes Talyn had connected up to him. It seemed a shame to wake him. To subject him to more trauma but it had to be done. It was also only fair to warn him about the probes. Wake him, Talyn. Gently

A gentle humming sound like the sound of power thrumming through a waveguide insinuated itself through the ship. Slowly Crichton stirred, waking to find Crais watching him. His expression was a mixture of projected calm and tension. It took a few microts to realise that Crais was as nervous as he was. That surprised him. Hey, my man Crais. What's happening?

Crais nodded cautiously. He never had understood the human's odd choice of vocabulary. We are nearing the medtech ship

And you're worried I won't be able to keep my mouth shut, is that it? Relax. My lips are sealed


He frowned, not appreciating Crichton's sense of humour. I wanted to warn you. They will conduct a thorough examination

Crichton picked up on the peculiar emphasis on the last word. How thorough?

Excruciating

He winced. Ouch

Crais nodded.

Why did you tell me?

So you could prepare yourself


If he could have, Crichton would have laughed. Prepare himself? How the hell was he supposed to do that? He couldn't move, could hardly string two words together in his mind without getting the shakes and now he was supposed to prepare himself.

Crais was concerned. There was not much time and he needed the human to understand but Crichton had closed his eyes, was in some kind of fugue of his own blocking him out. He touched Talyn's thoughts with his own. Tell him, Talyn. Make him see, understand. But be gentle with him. He is too fragile to stand much pain. We must protect him if we can

Talyn slid another organic tube up towards the human. He was lying flat in one of Talyn's pod bays, tubes and suckers attached to him and keeping his lifesigns stable, feeding his bodily needs and monitoring him closely. Now a new tube snaked up towards his neck, a sucker fastening and taking hold gently but firmly. Crichton's eyes snapped open in a panic but Talyn soothed him. He stared at Crais with red rimmed eyes, fighting to remain calm. Crais reached out and touched his cheek, his thoughts adding to the leviathan's soothing heartbeat. Be calm. You would not listen so Talyn will teach you, guide you. When I take you aboard their ship you will be as prepared as we can make you. The rest is up to you

He saw total panic in Crichton's eyes. Something thick and sluggish was injected into the side of his neck. His eyes widened as it entered his system creeping slowly and steadily towards his brain stem. His mouth opened and something unintelligible staggered out, unrecognisable as words in any language. Crais shook his head gently urging him not to resist and stroked Crichton's cheek. He watched him close his eyes as the invasion swept through his nervous system forcing calm and compliance. Acceptance. Crais regretted the use of force however minimal but their situation was critical. They could afford no margin for error. He waited until his eyes flickered slowly open again. The focus was all shot to pieces but he was calm. His mind open and unresisting. Crais delved into his mind. They did not have much time for finesse. In a couple of arns they would hail the medtech ship and prepare to dock with them. If they did this right, one day Crichton would thank him. Now it only remained for him to hail the ship. As Crichton would have put it, it was time to enter the lion's den...

END

Series this work belongs to: