Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 2 of Aftermath
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
1,957
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
6
Hits:
1,297

Life Signs

Summary:

D'Argo makes a surprising discovery and help can come from the most unexpected directions.

Work Text:

Aftermath 2: Life Signs
A "Farscape" story
Written by Alison M. DOBELL


D'Argo was in shock. Zhaan had to explain it to him again. Slowly. Still he found it hard to take in. They were in Moya's command. Rygel and Chiana listening in silence as Zhaan tried to explain what had happened.

"You mean to tell me that Crais is here? On Moya?"

She nodded. "Yes, he came with Talyn. When they heard about Aeryn both of them wanted to help."

D'Argo sneered angrily, shook his head, his tentacles flying as he fought his rage. "How could you be so stupid, Zhaan? To trust Crais of *all* people?"

Zhaan held her temper in check. "Crais has changed...."

"Yes, and I have become a Tertian Holy Man of the Tenth Circle. Be sensible, Zhaan. Since when has Crais ever offered to help us?"

"I know D'Argo, and I admit it is a very unusual position to be in but Crais is not technically helping us and neither is Talyn."

Rygel sat up a little straighter. "What do you mean, Zhaan?"

"I mean, they are helping Aeryn."

Chiana tilted her head. "Isn't that kind of splitting hairs?"

"Yes, but you must remember Crais was Aeryn Sun's Captain when they were both Peace Keepers. Some of that has got to have affected his decision to help."

"Maybe he just wants to get a foothold on Moya." Said D'Argo.

Zhaan shook her head slowly. "I don't think so..."

D'Argo was about to fly into another tirade but Zhaan held up a hand. "I think before anyone says anything else you should all come and see Aeryn. If I am wrong I will ask Crais and Talyn to leave."

The others exchanged cautious looks then nodded. Zhaan led them to Aeryn's chamber. D'Argo paused at the door, his step arrested by the sight of Bialar Crais leaning over Aeryn's bed, his cheek wet with tears as he spoke softly to her. One hand brushing the hair out of her face as he watched her whitened face with concern. D'Argo cleared his throat noisily. Crais turned away long enough to dry his face then spun round to face them.

"Whatever kind of trick this is Crais, it's in poor taste even for you."

Crais frowned at Ka D'Argo but did not rise to the bait. "I can appreciate how you feel..."

"Can you?" He sneered back. "You had me hunted down for a crime I did not commit."

"I already explained that was not my doing."

"How convenient for you."

Zhaan walked through the door, her expression angry. She stepped between them and glared at them both. "That is enough. Have you forgotten why we are all here?"

They stopped quarrelling and looked away. D'Argo took a couple of deep breaths. "I'm sorry, Zhaan."

She nodded and looked at Crais. He moved tactfully to one side so D'Argo could approach the bed in which Aeryn Sun lay. He was amazed to see that she appeared to be sleeping. Albeit a cold and premature one, she was definitely breathing. A look of awe stole over his face. Chiana approached carefully and stopped next to him. She tilted her head as she looked down at Aeryn. "Hey, she's just sleeping D'Argo."

He nodded. A gentle hand touching the hand that clasped his qualta blade. The hand was cold but not icy. He fancied he detected a faint pulse. Rygel quietly drew near on his throne sled. He gazed down at Aeryn for a few microts and looked across at Crais. "What did you do?"

"I did nothing. It was Talyn."

Rygel looked annoyed. "Alright then, what did Talyn do?"

He looked at Zhaan then looked at Rygel. Everybody had looked up now, waiting to hear what he had to say. "He linked with Moya. You must understand, Aeryn had a special bond with Talyn..."

"Yes, yes," Said Rygel impatiently. "Get on with it."

Crais gave Rygel an irritated look then cleared the expression on his face. "He wanted to help. So he allowed a direct link to be made from his systems to this chamber."

D'Argo's eyes widened with alarm. "What? You allowed him to have access to Moya's environmental controls?"

"It was necessary, D'Argo," Interjected Zhaan in a hurry. "Aeryn was dying."

D'Argo glared at her then at Crais. "Better an honourable death than to be tied to the Peace Keepers again."

"I am no longer a Peace Keeper. When I fled with Talyn I became a fugitive like you."

"Not like me," Said D'Argo angrily. "I left with my honour intact which is more than can be said for you!"

Before anyone could say anything else a stir from the bed turned all heads and thoughts back to Aeryn. To Zhaan's joy and surprise her eyes flickered open. She squinted in the harsh light, confused by the figures crowded around her bed and the muzzy feeling inside her head. Frell, he felt like dren.

Zhaan stroked her hair gently. "Aeryn, it's good to see you again."

"Zhaan? What happened?"

D'Argo looked at her gently, tears in his eyes. Everybody seemed affected. "You were in your prowler, you had an accident."

Memories blurred in her mind, she frowned. Something to do with Crichton. She tried to sit up but Aeryn restrained her gently with a hand on her shoulder. Aeryn looked at Zhaan. "Crichton?"

"Rest first." Advised Zhaan.

Aeryn frowned but she was so tired. Maybe she would close her eyes for just a few microts. Zhaan waited until she had settled back into a deep sleep and looked at the others. "We should let her rest."

They nodded. One by one they left the room, Crais hanging back to speak to Zhaan.

"Thank you."

She frowned. "What for?"

"Allowing Talyn to help."

Zhaan smiled gently at him, knowing it was not just Talyn but him. She knew he had a soft spot for Aeryn. He could hide his feelings from the others but not from her. A Delvian priestess knew many things. She wondered if any of the others even suspected his true motivations.

As they left Aeryn's chamber, Crais asked a question that he had been reluctant to ask in front of the others. "How is Crichton?"

Her expression changed to one of pain and sadness. "He is not good. I don't know what to do for him. I know he can hear me, understand me, but he can't communicate and I can't complete the surgery. I don't have the skill to put him back together again."

Crais noticed the tears in her eyes and spoke gently. "May I see him?"

Her eyes flickered up to meet his. Surprised he would want to.

"I have long since realised he was not to blame for my brother's death."

She nodded slowly and led him to Crichton. He was shocked by what he saw. Moved to see how much this man had suffered at the hands of Scorpius. He was not sure he would have endured what Crichton had endured. He looked at Zhaan. "Does he know?"

She nodded and wiped a silent tear from her face. Crais walked slowly up to Crichton. He must have heard him because his eyes opened and for a moment the shock of recognition was etched into his face with pain. It made Crais flinch. Zhaan had already warned him that his speech centre had been ripped apart. He was a mess, parts of his brain missing or damaged. The top of his head open and clumsy suture marks where Zhaan had been trying to put him back together again. Crais swallowed hard and tried to concentrate on keeping eye contact.

"I'm sorry about what happened to you. What Scorpius did."

Crichton just looked at him, his eyes locked on the former Peace Keeper Captain. Crais glanced at Zhaan, his voice soft. "May I have a moment alone with him?"

She considered for a microt and inclined her head graciously.

"Thank you."

He waited until she had left then took a seat next to Crichton. "I wish I could do something for you," He began. "I know you don't believe I've changed and I can't blame you. I know what I put you and the others through but that man is gone now. Since being linked to Talyn I've discovered the person I always longed to be. I have freedom and for the first time I am happy..."

His voice trailed off and he considered Crichton for a microt.

"I won't lie to you, Crichton. We will never be friends but there is no need for us to be enemies either. I had hoped to share my new life with Aeryn." He saw the tiny flicker on Crichton's face and knew he was following the conversation closely, even if he could not contribute to it. "She refused me. Of course."

The attempt at humour did not quite hide the pain of rejection.

"She loves you, you know. I think she fell in love with you the first time she saw you...."

Crichton raised an eyebrow, a lone tear trailing from his eye. Crais tried to hide how much that moved him.

"I wanted you to know that whatever happens from here on I don't blame you and I have no hard feelings towards you. There is also one more thing."

Crichton waited. He could do very little else. Crais leaned close so he could whisper. The words the only intimate thing that had ever been between them. "In my travels I have met a man. He is perhaps the most incredible surgeon in all of the Unchartered Territories. I told him something of your condition. I think he could be persuaded to help..."

He watched to see how the idea was received. Crichton closed his eyes. Crais was not sure what to do. Had he said too much? Hurt him too deeply? Then the eyes opened again, glued to his with a silent plea.

"I know you can't speak, Crichton....John, if I may call you that. But you can blink, can't you?"

Crichton blinked. Slowly. Once. Crais smiled gently, speaking as if to a child. "Good. That's good John. I want you to blink once if you agree with me, and twice if you don't. Do you understand?"

He blinked once. Crais took a moment to keep back his emotions. "Do you want me to ask this surgeon to see if he can help you? I do not promise success but...."

Crichton blinked once. Crais felt tears form in his eyes. He gently brushed the tears from his face. "I will go now. See what I can do."

He left quietly and went to find Zhaan. Crichton lay and stared up at the ceiling thinking of all that had happened. For the first time in monens there was no Scorpius in his head. Here he lay as close to death as he had ever been, every microt he survived a minor miracle in itself. And here was his former enemy offering to find someone to help him. If he was not so damn screwed he would have thrown back his head and laughed. But the funny thing was he believed Crais. Believed he was telling the truth, that he really did want to help him. And for the first time he realised that Aeryn was right. People really could change. Even someone like Bialar Crais...



********** T H E E N D **********

Series this work belongs to: