Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
1,368
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
21
Hits:
2,782

Buffy/Xander round robin starter

Summary:

Um... no title but "The Buffy/Xander Round Robin" so far. Um...Oh, I'm mental blanking. Any suggestions??
Author: Round robin. This part by Chris Kenworthy
Category: B/X, Round robin
Rating: PG-13.
Summary: Um, let's see... it's after the fourth season ends... Xander's going to see Buffy and Willow... warrior demons attack... that's all that's happening so far.
Disclaimer: Not our characters! All bow before the Mutant Enemy.
Distribution: Distribute anywhere you like, will be put up at Tales of the scooby gang somewhere - http://www.lavender.fortunecity.com/apocalypse/640
Feedback: If you like it, please tell me or join the round robin! (Go to http://www.egroups.com/group/BX_Fanfic/ to join.
Spoilers: all four seasons of Buffy.
Submitted through the 0oBuffyXanderFanfictiono0 mailing
list. This list can no longer approve new members posts, please join us at
0oBuffyXanderFanfictiono0-2
If you would like to participate in this Robin, post your section either on the list or directly to me at makebelievearchive@yahoo.com. Be sure to include the robin name and part number.

Work Text:

Buffy/Xander round robin starter.
by Chris Kenworthy and....

Part 1
by Chris Kenworthy

Xander Harris stepped restlessly out into the hot summer night.

He had kind of expected to be hanging with Anya again tonight, but she hadn't shown, so Xander had lain around in the basement for an hour before deciding to go visit Buffy and Willow. They were pretty busy, studying for finals, (everyone's attention having been focused for the past few weeks on Adam, his vampire/demon army, and plans of eventual cyborg servitude for everything in Sunnydale. There hadn't been that much time left over for schoolwork.)

But they wouldn't mind Xander dropping in for a short visit, would they? Everybody needs a study break, huh? (Unless they had just had study breaks, with Riley, and Tara... Xander shook that thought away. No good came of dwelling about the people that his two best friends in all the world had chosen for romance. As much as Xander might not like them, he didn't have a say.)

As Xander walked down the streets of Sunnydale towards the university campus, actually, he found himself thinking about Anya. They had been interacting, one way or another, for quite a long time... gone to the prom together - that would be more than a year ago, wouldn't it? Their first date. Post-date teasing the next week had been brought to an abrupt halt when Anya skipped town, afraid of the Ascension. Then she came back that fall, threw herself at Xander without her dress on, and seduced him, (without many complaints on Xander's part, to be sure.) They had their first date the next week, to the Halloween party from hell, (which they really didn't get to spend much time together at, but hung around at Giles' place after,) and were boyfriend and strange girlfriend by Thanksgiving.

But, considering how long he'd been with Anya, in one way or another, Xander still didn't really know anything about her, post-Demon at least. How did she support herself? (She'd quickly learned the womanly art of squeezing her guy for presents, gifts, surprises, and other 'pretty things,' but those were all luxury type things, and she tended to keep them. He was sure that he wasn't supporting her with the basic needs of life.) She couldn't have living parents, after all, she had been a demon for eleven hundred years. Or had she managed to fool some poor couple into *thinking* that she was their daughter? Did the lower beings offer their failed Wishmistresses a cushy retirement package? That seemed unlikely.

Xander didn't even know where Anya lived, or what she did with the days where she wasn't always hanging around, going to whatever job site he was working at. She came and went at her own whim, and she always found Xander, never the other way around. It was... it was downright spooky, when you thought of it.

Buffy, and Willow... they were probably just as happy not knowing anything about Anya, Xander realized. However much he disliked or resented Riley and Tara, they probably felt the same way about Anya. Willow moreso, perhaps, since Anya had duped Willow into casting a magical ritual that loosed a vampire double of herself into the world, and then teamed up with the vamp doppleganger against Willow. Buffy seemed a little less vehement, just disliking Anya on a personal basis, rather than carrying old grudges. Maybe it was because, as a Slayer, the grudges she carried were so much bigger that Anya's crimes didn't compare.

As for Xander himself, well, he still wasn't quite sure how he felt about Anya. They weren't your stereotypically perfect couple, definitely. Then again, would any stereotypically perfect couple even *have* a schlub like him in it? Just seeing Anya still made Xander hot, even after all this time. He liked how she took an interest in his life, which even his friends didn't seem to do. She was sweet, and funny, even when she was being demon-y, and she'd never seemed to express any interest in any other guy. Anya took care of him when he was in trouble, like when he got sick at Thanksgiving, or when he was so depressed about the fight with his friends that he had laid in bed for two days. She told him she loved him a lot, and she had sex with him a lot.

The question that he had shoved to the back of his brain was - is all that enough??

Xander was making his way across the open space between Sunnydale town and Sunnydale U now, and a particularly warm wind was blowing down from the direction of the farming fields. Okay, enough Anya reflectage. What else should I think about? Hmm... whatever you'd like to think about. I can't think of anything. You can't think of anything? Come on, there has to be something that you can think of to think about!! My brain is full already, can I go home now??

The dream-siege. Okay, yeah, that's something good to think of. Xander couldn't really make heads or tails of it, but it was certainly good material for ponderin'. As Willow and Giles had worked it out, last night they had been stalked as they slept by the spirit of the First Slayer, who had been awakened by a reference to 'The power of the Slayers' in the spell they had cast to merge and call upon the deep magic so that Buffy could use it to destroy Adam.

Once her interest had been roused, this first Slayer, (a really skanky and ugly animalistic cavewoman type creature, Buffy had said,) had examined Buffy's life, in particular her friends, and decided that they had to go; that any way Buffy deviated from her own prehistoric way of life had to be wrong. And there had been no friends back then. (Personally, Xander was kinda disappointed by the whole thing. If the first slayer had to be a cavegirl, he would have hoped that at least she would be like the cute ones you saw in the movies.)

But the First Slayer stalking them hadn't been the only thing weird about those dreams. Willow had wondered if the Slayer's spirit had managed to loose the hidden fears, desires, and confusions of each of them, to confuse them and set them up for the kill. And also this weird cheese guy who had done cameos in each nightmare. (Personally, Xander thought that if his dream represented his hidden fears and desires, he was one confused guy.) Giles had actually mentioned the possibility that the whole experience had even channeled a current of prophecy from wherever it was that the First Slayer had come from.

With a start, Xander realized that he was at Stevenson hall. Casually, he strolled in, and wandered about the foyer for a moment, enjoying the ambiance of anycollege, USA before going up to the room.

Suddenly, he caught sight of a whole bunch of big moving things down the hall. They almost looked like... oh, my god, they were demons! Big, ugly demons, carrying weapons, clubs, spears, one with a sword. "Aaah!" he exclaimed reflexively. Immediately every single fiend turned to stare at Xander. "Oh, great move, buddy. Attract the attention of the scary demons."

And then they were heading towards him, and Xander charged off at a run. Down the other hall, up the stairwell two steps at a time. He tried for three with a bound, and stumbled, almost falling into the arms of the monsters chasing him. Scrambling to his feet, Xander rushed along, a lead of only a few seconds seperating him from the warrior demons. But he was up the stairs now, and rushing down the second floor hall, he thought he was actually managing to increase the distance. At Buffy's room, and he braked to a sudden stop, pounding on the door...

TO BE CONTINUED! (by someone else, hehe.)