Actions

Work Header

Santa's Little Helpers

Summary:

It's Christmas and time for the Marine Corps Toys for Tots program to swing into high gear, with the help of some well-meaning elves

Work Text:

Jethro looked at his watch. The Monday morning staff briefing had run over, as usual. He was glad that he had planned a little extra time into his schedule. Today, of all days, to run late. He could have sworn that Jen had purposely run the meeting over the allotted time just to piss him off. She just didn't understand. She could be selfish at times, especially when she didn't get her way. And this was one of those times. As he rushed for the stairs to the bullpen, he was surprised to see Tony standing at the bottom of the stairs, his garment bag in one hand, a steaming cup of coffee in the other.

Tony smoothly handed over the coffee and fell into step with his boss as they headed for the back of the office. "Everything is tied up here, boss. No pending cases, no pending court dates. Robinson's team will be covering if anything does come up. They've been completely briefed on the cases you've outlined. You've got about 15 minutes to change and grab a sandwich before the others will be ready to leave. There's a ham and cheese on rye on your desk. Staff Sergeant Williamson called to confirm that half a dozen 20-foot U-Haul trucks were delivered this morning. He also reported that two refrigerated trucks arrived along with two trucks with non-perishables. He has his volunteers scheduled to meet us at Quantico at 1500 hours."

"Four trucks?" Jethro goes into the men's room, waiting near the door when Tony enters after him. Looking around the small room, it is obvious that they are alone. He locks the door, which earns him a raised eyebrow from his subordinate.

"Getting modest now, boss?" Tony chuckles. "Perhaps I'd better wait outside?"

"If you've got to take a leak, do it now, DiNozzo," Jethro growls as he begins to get undressed. "You won't have time this afternoon."

"You're all heart, boss," Tony says as he moves over to one of the urinals.

"Did the messenger arrive yet?" Jethro asks as he unzips the garment bag to reveal his Marine Corps Dress Uniform.

Tony finishes his business, zips up, and moves the sink to wash his hands. "Not yet, boss," Tony answers as he keeps eye contact with his boss in the mirror. "Do you think they'll show up this year?"

"You would know that better than me, Tony." Jethro turns to meet Tony's gaze directly.

As Tony is about to comment there is a knock on the door. "Boss, the messenger is here," McGee calls out loud enough to be heard through the thick door.

"Go sign for it, Tony," Jethro says. "I'll be out in a couple of minutes."

"You know they won't allow any other signature but yours," Tony reminds him as he moves toward the door.

Jethro watches as Tony beats a rapid path to the door. "We will talk about that, DiNozzo," he says to himself as the other man slips into the hallway.

When Jethro returns to the bullpen, he is in full dress uniform. He sees Tony and Ziva chatting amiably with the waiting courier. The courier instantly stands straighter when he sees Jethro approach. "Gunnery Sergeant Jethro Gibbs?" he asks respectfully.

"I'm sorry to keep you waiting," Jethro says. "You have a package for me."

"Several, sir," the courier says, pointing to the boxes stacked on Jethro's desk. "Would you please check them off against my manifest and ensure the security seals are not broken, sir."

Jethro is surprised to see more than one box on his desk. He checks the manifest and the seals then signs for the delivery.

"I'm a bit confused," Ziva says. "Why the top security for a couple of boxes? Evidence?"

Jethro looks at Tony who shakes his head. "The packages are addressed to you, boss. You explain it."

Jethro watches as Tony backs slightly away from the desk.

"Every year, on the 2nd Monday in December, a courier arrives at precisely 1315. He usually has one box and one envelope for me to sign for. They are donations for the Toys for Tots Program," Jethro explains as he removes his knife from his pocket. He carefully slits the security seal on both boxes and then the envelope. He scans over the letter in the envelope then looks at the attached checks and vouchers.

"It started about 6 years ago," Jethro explains, seeing Ziva's curiosity increase even as McGee, Abby, and Ducky join them. "In the past, the courier has delivered a box containing 100 Wal-mart Gift Cards each worth $100.00 along with a check for another $10,000.00 plus purchase orders for Wal-mart and Toys R Us for another $50,000.00 each. The courier will only accept my signature on the release. The letter states that they are to be used for the Toys for Tots program as well as for one of the local homes for handicapped kids. The gift cards go to the kids at the home."

"Over $100,000 for needy kids," Ziva says. "You have a very generous benefactor there, Gibbs."

Ducky puts his hand on Ziva's shoulder. "There's more to it than that, my dear. The mysterious benefactor also sends along a truckload of turkeys with all the trimmings as well a several trucks for carting the goodies around."

"WOW!" Ziva says.

Jethro shakes his head. "This year, they've doubled up on everything," he explains.

Abby puts one arm around McGee and one around Ducky. "Each year, we all take this week off as part of our vacation time and donate it the Toys for Tots program. Then on Saturday, we get together with the kids to take them Christmas shopping. There's a big gift wrapping party and BBQ afterward too."

"I am really impressed," Ziva says. "That is really generous. I'm really touched."

Tony glances at his watch. "We gotta get moving, boss, or we're gonna be late. Staff Sergeant Williamson is waiting for us. The snow is gonna slow us down a bit."

Gibbs leads Tony, Abby, Ducky, and McGee toward the elevator. As they are about the leave the cubicles, Abby turns around to look at Ziva. "Come on, girl," she says with a smile, holding her hand out. "You can ride with me. Do you know any of the American Christmas carols?"

Gibbs is the last to board the elevator, following Tony onboard. Leaning toward Tony, he quietly whispers. "Thank you, Tony."

Tony gives Jethro an innocent smile. "I don't know what you are talking about, boss." And this time, he doesn't even make a sound when he's slapped on the back of the head.

 

If you would like more information on the Toys for Tots Program, please visit this link: http://www.toysfortots.org/home/index.html