Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
1,907
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
13
Hits:
1,519

Physician's Touch

Summary:

Set between the Second and Third Seasons, a short interlude where Data is sent to shuttle Dr. Beverly Crusher back to the Enterprise as she rejoins the crew after her year of absence working for Starfleet Medical.

Work Text:

Title: Physician's Touch
Author: Poodle
Rating: PG
Summary: Set between the Second and Third Seasons, a short interlude where Data is sent to shuttle Dr. Beverly Crusher back to the Enterprise as she rejoins the crew after her year of absence working for Starfleet Medical.

 

 

Physician's Touch
By Poodle~

 

~*~*~*~*

Stars glimmered against the backdrop of space. Beverly Crusher's eyes traced their silver trek, but her thoughts soared miles from the shuttlecraft she traveled on.

"Home," she breathed.

"What was that, Doctor?" Lieutenant Commander Data turned from the shuttle's controls and faced her.

Had she spoken aloud? "I was just thinking to myself, Data," she said softly. "Sorry." Their eyes met, but he held her attention only briefly before her thoughts again drifted toward their destination - the Enterprise.

"I experienced a similar phenomenon once." Data's gentle voice weaved into her reverie.

"Excuse me."

"The verbalization of a passing thought intended only for myself. I found the experience most intriguing." His eyes lit at the confession as if revealing a secret.

The innocence of the moment caused her to laugh.

His brow furrowed in confusion. "You find that amusing?"

"No. The proper emotion is endearing." How easy it was to slip into old patterns of behavior, almost as if she had never been gone. She smiled at the android then gazed back toward the stars. "How much longer?"

"We shall rendezvous with the Enterprise in two hours forty-seven minutes." He returned his attention to the controls and the muffled hum of the shuttle engines cloistered them in companionable silence.

After several minutes her sigh cut the hush. "Has it changed much?"

"In the short time you have been gone the ship has experience minimal alteration. Geordi has increased engine efficiency by--"

"The people, Data!"

He seemed puzzled. "They have aged, but not to any discernible degree."

She laughed. "You certainly haven't changed."

The corner of his mouth tipped in a crooked grin.

The doctor shook her head. It was amazing how much she missed the android's quirks -- how much she missed everything. "And Wesley. How's he doing?"

"Has your son not maintained a steady correspondence?"

"Of course, but I want to hear it form you. If I believed everything Wesley said, I'd be calling him *Captain* Crusher, by now."

Data sat for a moment pondering her words, then his face brightened. "Ah! A joke. I'm still quite slow with humor."

"But a bit better with contractions, I see."

He gave her a slight smile. "Wesley is progressing well beyond his chronological years. His advancement is exemplary."

She allowed herself the luxury of a grin. That's my Wesley. "And, Jean-Luc...I mean, Captain Picard, does he ever mention me?"

"Mention"

"You know, does he ever say anything about missing me?"

The android thought for a moment. "He has not elected to discuss your absence with me, but I did note one particular comment."

"Which was?" She leaned toward him in anticipation.

"It was not his intent that I should hear the remark. Quite possibly he underestimated the proficiency of my auditory capability. Or perhaps he--"

"Data! Whom was he speaking to?"

"It was the verbalization of a passing thought intended only for himself."

"Jean-Luc was talking to himself?" She chuckled softly.

Data nodded. "He appeared somewhat exasperated at the time. His exact quote was, -If that *woman* remains aboard this vessel one more second I shall lose what is left of my hair. Damn Starfleet Medical for enticing Bev Crusher away.'"

A frown creased her forehead. "'That woman?'"

"I believe the comment was in reference to Doctor Pulaski. She had been aboard the Enterprise only twelve hours thirty-six minutes at the time."

Beverly burst into laughter. "Good ole Kate Pulaski. My replacement. She's never been known for diplomacy."

"It was not one of her more evident qualities."

"I heard she was assigned to the Enterprise when I left." She laughed softly to herself, feeling a bit smug. "So she and Captain Picard became quite close, did they?"

"Actually, he expressed more than a passing regret at her departure."

"Oh?" He voice lowered several decibels. She turned back toward the window. "I trust he won't be *too* disappointed at my return."

"Quite the contrary."

She again faced him.

The android continued. "His comments concerning your efficiency have been exceedingly profuse."

"Efficiency," she grumbled, her eyes once again studying, but not seeing, the distant stars. "You're not the only one who hasn't changed, Data." Her words trailed into silence as her thoughts turned inward.

Kate Pulaski aboard the Enterprise?

She stole a glance in Data's direction, and found his frozen profile, solemnly lit by the panel's light, unwavering from the task at hand. He did not appear to notice her scrutiny. The subtle light enhanced the brushed gold features, the sensitive lips, the startling but expressive eyes. Everything about his appearance screamed android. It was difficult to imagine that such an unassuming form housed a mind capable of assimilating information at a rate beyond her comprehension, while still puzzling at the intricacies of a sneeze. It might have been amusing had it not been almost tragic. A machine who longed to be Human.

Kate Pulaski aboard the Enterprise?

"I know Katherine Pulaski." She broke the silence. "And I must admit, I was somewhat surprised to hear she'd been assigned to the Enterprise."

"She requested the transfer the moment your departure was confirmed."

"That would explain it." Katherine was quite renowned within medical circles. It was unlikely any such request would be denied. "Still, Starfleet usually maintains more stringent psychological evaluations. They generally attempt to strike a more harmonious balance between crew members."

"I noted no disruptions among the crew because of her presence."

"Oh?" Her eyebrows rose.

"Her socialization was well within established norms."

"It was, was it?" Her eyes cut in the android's direction. "And what about her socialization with," she paused, "you?"

She saw him visibly stiffen and wondered if it had been cruel to bait him. She knew about Pulaski's distrust of machines.

His head cocked. "With me?"

"She did attempt to get along, didn't she?"

"We worked together on numerous occasions. I found her to be a most accomplished physician, she--"

"But did you *socialize*?"

He paused, thinking. Several minutes passed before he shrugged. "We played poker, but little else. Is that significant?"

"Significant!" Surely he hadn't been oblivious to Pulaski's attitude. "Didn't you notice anything about her even the least bit unusual?"

"I did find it odd that someone of such exceptional mental capacity should find it difficult to retain the correct pronunciation of a name."

"Whose?"

"Mine. She seemed unable to retain it for any length of time."

"Oh, Data." She groaned. "She was slighting you. Didn't that bother you at all?"

"Should it"

"Didn't you feel anything?"

"I possess no emotions. I am unable to feel." His head snapped back to the console.

Beverly threw up her hands. "You say that as if you believe it." Had Kate Pulaski in one short year been able to unravel the fragile tapestry of his ego? "Didn't anything during her stint as chief medical officer bother you?"

His attention remained riveted on the panel. He thought for a moment before responding softly. "I did find it somewhat disconcerting to be treated for injuries in engineering rather than sickbay."

"What!" The doctor stiffened in her seat. "Doctor Pulaski treated you where?"

"Doctor Pulaski appeared reluctant to administer medical treatment to me anywhere. Perhaps she felt unqualified to do so. In any event, she often sent me to engineering."

Beverly Crusher suppressed a gasp. She would never have considered relinquishing control of a senior officer to anyone. Much less an officer with such unique specifications. Data was unlike any patient she had ever treated. He was remarkable, not only in his anatomical make-up, but in his psychological make-up as well. Whenever possible, she'd always made it a point to treat him in sickbay. To do otherwise only proved to reinforce his feelings of disassociation from the rest of the crew. A good physician's touch healed not only the body, but the soul as well.

Kate Pulaski should have known this.

Her temper flared. Data's psyche was more volatile than most people realized. She could still recall the almost timid manner in which he had revealed his "on-off switch" then sworn her to secrecy. Such patient-doctor confidence was not easily gained. It angered her to think another doctor might have compromised the bond she worked so hard to establish.

"Query."

"Yes, Data."

"Are the environmental controls set to a level appropriate for your comfort? I notice a distinct flush in your cheeks."

"I'm all right. I just experienced an increase in blood pressure," she said dryly as her frustration grew. "Damn it, Data, didn't you notice Pulaski's attitude at all?"

The android's golden eyes remained fixed ahead. His response came slowly. "Are you referring to Doctor Pulaski...disliking me?"

"Yes."

"The doctor explained it was not so much a dislike as a disinterest. She once commented, -Some people elect to hold conversations with the main engines. Lieutenant LaForge is such a person. People in ancient times held conversations with automobiles. I am *not* such a person."

"I can't believe she said that!"

"Geordi *does* talk to the main engines." His eyes sought hers. "Do you believe this is why he talks to me?"

"You're not an engine. Geordi talks to you because he likes you."

"The debate concerning my sentience still rages in some quarters."

"Not in my opinion," she stormed. "And not in *my* sickbay."

Silence descended.

She gazed toward the stars, Data's words still haunting her mind, * I possess no emotions. I am unable to feel.*

After several minutes his soft voice interrupted her thoughts almost tentatively. "When my brother was aboard the Enterprise..."

She turned. "Lore?" Data seldom spoke of his "brother."

"When it became necessary to compare our circuitry to assure Lore's proper assembly, you preformed the surgery yourself, with minimal assistance from Chief Argyle. I," he hesitated, searching for the proper words. "I appreciated that."

A smile softened her anger. "I insisted upon it." Leaning toward him, she squeezed his arm. "And I always will. Besides, do you honestly believe I would allow anyone else to touch a patent of mine who'd been written up in a bio-mechanical text?"

His expression brightened. "Several."

She laughed, then slowly sobered. "Data, I want you to answer a question."

"Yes, Doctor."

"Do you desire to be Human?"

His head cocked in surprise. "Doctor Crusher, I have never endeavored to conceal my wonderment of what it is to be Human."

"I know that. Just answer my question. Do you *desire* to be Human?"

He glanced aside. An awkward moment passed before he responded. "Yes."

"Then there is something I want you to remember." She leaned near, gazing into the golden light of his eyes. "It is impossible to *desire* if you cannot *feel.*"

His eyes widened, and his head snapped forward facing the front. He blinked.

"Data, are you all right?"

He nodded, unable to speak.

"Then say something."

A tentative smile weaved its way across his lips. "Welcome...home."

 

~*End