Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
832
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
3
Kudos:
7
Bookmarks:
2
Hits:
1,407

Well-meaning Interference

Summary:

Website:nyet
Permission to archive: yep
Fandom(s): House MD
Genre: pre-slash
Pairing/Characters:H/W
Rating:FRT-13
Summary:James has a very interesting conversation with Greg's folks
Warnings: spoilers for Daddy's Boy
Submitted from the House MD Slash Mailing List

Work Text:

Well-meaning Interference
by Belladonna

John House always felt like he was the slightly confused Duck parent of the elegant Swan when he was around his son Greg. He sighed as he got into the rental car. His wife got into the passenger seat and sighed herself. "It was nice to see Greg."

John nodded. "I wish..." it was a familiar wish and he knew his wife understood. They both wished it, wished that their son was happy, not in pain, content.

"I wish you hadn't teased him," Blythe chided quietly.

A little embarrassed, he sighed again. "I don't why I did it."

There was a comfortable silence, then a tentative knock on their window. John jumped slightly, then smiled as he rolled it down. "James, how are you, son?"

Wilson smiled at House's parents. "I'm fine, did you get to see Greg?"

"Yes, we ate with him in the cafeteria. We're sorry we missed you," Greg's mom said.

"I was involved in the same case, I'm sorry dinner didn't work out. I know Lisa Cuddy and House's ducklings were interested in meeting you."

"Ducklings?"

Wilson smiled wryly. "That's what we call House's staff."

John and his wife chuckled. Then Blythe smacked him on the arm. "That pretty brunette you teased him with was probably one of them."

"Well damn, how was I supposed to know?" John winced.

James sighed inwardly. Damn. The dinner must have been a little tense. "He'll get over it, a little teasing won't kill him."

"So, when are you going to make my son happy?" Greg's mom asked as she peered up at him.

Wilson's eyes widened and he stammered slightly. "Um, well, I'm still married."

John House, old school, former Marine pilot and World War II vet, shook his head at him. "You'll never get a chance to be happy if you're with the wrong person, James. Greg's mom and I have been married for more years than I shake a stick at, and we're still happy."

Stunned, all Wilson could do was stare.

"Look at him dear, I think he's surprised. And don't think I missed that you couldn't remember how many years that we've been married," Blythe said smugly.

John looked at his watch. "Whoops, look at the time. James, we have to go. Think about what we said."

Wilson watched, and waved automatically as Greg's parents drove off. He made it into the hospital without remembering the walk and ended up in Greg's office, collapsing in a chair, still in shock.

"Dr. Wilson, are you okay?"

He looked up to see Cameron watching him with concern. "Um, I'm fine." To get a little more privacy he went to the balcony and stared out into space. Thoughts raced through his head, his wife, their broken marriage, House and his leg, the fact that Greg's parents had given their blessing for he and Greg to get together, something he hasn't even realized he wanted until now. And that brought up the fact that they were not surprised, and that meant that Greg...

"Hey, Cameron said you looked like you'd been hit by a double-decker bus. Are you alright?" House limped up to frown at his best friend thoughtfully.

"I just said good-bye to your parents," Wilson said as he turned around.

House eyed him. There was a shell-shocked look, and a sparkle in James' eyes that made him raise his own eyebrows. "Well, that would you give you that look. That or constipation."

Wilson smiled. "And they gave me their blessings."

Alarm bells belatedly started to ring in House's genius brain as Wilson moved closer to him, grabbing his lapels and pulling him in for a heart-stopping kiss.

When the need to breathe became absolutely necessary, House lifted his head and stared. "Did you say my ~parents~ said that this was okay?"

"I know," James laughed softly. "Color me surprised."

House gave him a look for understatement of the year. "Yeah, surprised would be one way of putting it. They ~do~ know that you're married, right?"

"Your dad, and yes, I said ~your dad~ said I'd never be happy if I was with the wrong person."

A little shell-shocked himself, Greg shook it off and grinned. "We get to tell your folks next."

"Oy vey," was all James said as he rested his head on House's chest.

fin