Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
882
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
4
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
1,234

Reunion

Summary:

Fandom: NCIS
Pairing: Gibbs/DiNozzo
Archive: Yes to WWOMB; others ask first.
Disclaimer: Not mine, belong to others, no infringement intended, no money being made.
Warnings: SPOILERS for Honor Code
Notes: I know rebecca used Elizabeth as Gibbs' daughters name in a couple of her recent fics; however, I have also used it, in a fic for a post Weak Link piece called "Light" and I'm using it here, as well...these two pieces can be vaguely linked together. Just so ya'll know!
Submitted through the NavyNCISslash mailing list.

Work Text:

Reunion
by Stacy L.A. Stronach

Gibbs watched as Zach ran over and hugged his father, the joy on both their faces a wonder to behold. A small smile played over his face while he remembered his time with Zach. The boy was truly precious and Gibbs' was pleased that his gut and the boy's stomach had both been right. His father was the victim, not involved with the crime at all.

He barely supressed a gasp as Zach's image in his mind was replaced with that of his own sweet daughter, Elizabeth, his Little Bit. Closing his eyes, he remembered building another boat, in another workshop, so similar to the one he had now. Jethro could hear her delighted laughter as he showed her, so patiently, how to sand the boat. He could smell the scent of her hair, feel the softness of it against his face as he wrapped his arms around her body, his hands covering her so tiny ones, guiding them.

The ache in his chest couldn't have hurt more if his heart had been ripped out and shown to him, still beating. It didn't seem to matter how many years passed, how long ago it had happened, he still missed her. Even as he wondered if it would ever ease, he knew, deep down, he didn't want it to. If his pain over his little girl let up that would mean he was forgetting her. And Jethro never wanted that. Never.

Something made Tony look at Jethro; he seemed to have a sixth sense when it came to his lover and pain. He was certain he knew of what the other man was thinking. Tony walked over, standing in such a way that his actions were blocked from the view of those around them. He reached out, discretely sliding his hand under Jethro's jacket, stroking his lower back. Knowing the reaction he'd get, Tony wasn't upset when Jethro pulled away and glared at him.

"What the hell are you doing, DiNozzo?" he practically growled, taking a swig of his coffee before walking away.

"Nothin' Boss, just thought you might want to get the reports done," Tony replied, completely casually. He wasn't hurt by Jethro's reaction, he'd been with his lover long enough to have expected it.

A little over two hours later, Tony pulled his car into Jethro's driveway, glad to see his car was already there. The outside light was on, so Tony went in and was unsuprised to see the only light on in the house was in the basement. He made his way quietly down the stairs, and found Jethro sitting inside the empty skeleton of his boat, legs crossed, head in hands, staring blankly at the wood of the boat.

"She loved helping me with the boat, you know. Not this one, of course. It was the second boat I'd tried to build. Donna thought I was crazy, building a boat in my basement. But Bit loved coming down here and having me show her how to do the different things, how to build..." Jethro was silent for a few moments, climbing off the boat, and getting a drink of bourbon in his chipped white cup. Leaning against his bench, he turned to face Tony. "Seeing Zach being reunited with his dad, I remembered how nice it was to have spent time with him, showing him how to help me with the boat. Then I remembered her, realised that I'll never see her again. Christ. It hurts, Tony, so fucking much."

Tony didn't speak. He walked over and then pulled an unresisting Jethro into his arms. Jetho slid his arms around Tony's waist, holding him tight, his head resting against Tony's shoulder as the younger man held him. Tony placed a soft kiss on Jethro's cheek before laying his own against Jethro's.

After a few minutes, Jethro pulled back a little, but not out of the circle of Tony's arms. "Thanks," he whispered, wounded blue gaze capturing Tony's hazel one.

Tony stroked his hand down the side of Jethro's face, cupping his cheek. "Never a problem," he replied, smiling.

"Sorry, about earlier."

Placing a finger against Jethro's lips, Tony shook his head. "It's okay. I really do understand, you know. It's okay," he said. "Do you want to work on the boat or would you like to come upstairs and we'll get something to eat, then go to bed?"

"Not hungry...I think I'll work on the boat tonight," he said.

"Okay, lover," Tony said, giving him a quick kiss on the lips. "I think I'll go up and watch a little TV." He let go of Jethro, before turning and heading upstairs. He was on the landing when Jethro spoke.

"Thanks for...well...everything. I love you."

Tony grinned, "Yeah. I love you, too. And you're welcome," he replied, finishing his trek up the stairs.

Gibbs drained the cup of bourbon, picked up the planer, and as it touched the boat, he felt the softness of her hair against his face, gentle as a memory.

//**the end**\\