Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
694
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
2
Kudos:
6
Hits:
882

The Denial Twist

Summary:

Because Warrick is a damn fool, thinks Catherine. (Spoilers for 5x24-25 and 6x01)

Work Text:

Disclaimer: not mine; no money made, no harm done
---

She couldn't believe it. Seriously, she couldn't.

Right now she felt like cursing, shouting, hitting something hard. Or better make that someone.

Warrick had gone off and married some chick named Tina. Whom neither of them had met before. He hadn't even told anyone about it before or afterwards. Just came to work like nothing had happened, nothing changed. It had taken Vega seeing the ring and asking about it for Warrick to come clean. Vega, who wasn't part of the team. Which wasn't really the point but it didn't exactly make her feel better that she hadn't noticed it herself.

Damn that man. What had he been thinking?

Oh, yes. He had told her. What had happened to Nick made him realize how short life is. Well, shit! They dealt daily with the dead and he had noticed that only now?

But she had decided long ago that Warrick was slow on the uptake. Stupid and blind. Now she added cold hearted to that mental list.

Not seeing what was right in front of him. Which had hurt bad enough. But then he had to throw salt into the wound as well.

She thought about killing him. Burring his body so deep not even Grissom would ever find him.

Digging his grave, now that would be true poetic justice. Right what that bastard deserved for what he'd done.

Though as good that'd feel to her, it wouldn't make things any better for Nick.

When she had told Warrick that he'd destroyed her fantasy, she hadn't been talking about herself getting together with him. She knew that was what he was thinking now, let him, it was too late anyway. No, in truth, it was Nick she had meant. Nick and Warrick. She had had hoped for them for so long. Knew they'd have been perfect for each other and no doubt about it.

She'd need to find something to cheer up Nick with. Not only had he gone trough that horrible ordeal of being buried - and almost eaten - alive, now he'd to see the man he loved hook up with some woman, with rings and oaths and all.

At least Warrick had spared Nick watching the actual ceremony, hadn't asked him to be is best man. Small blessings. But not enough.

With more force than necessary Catherine slammed the door of her locker shut and stormed off. She needed a drink - and a shovel.

+++

"So did you talk to Catherine?"

"Yeah. Yeah, I did."

"And? What did she say? Did she tell you why she was so angry?"

"As a matter of fact she did."

"Warrick? Man, how bad could it have been? Quit stalling."

"It's kinda weird. She told me that it sucked that her fantasy couldn't be possible come true now."

"Wow."

"Yeah."

"Catherine said that? Really?"

"I'm telling you, man! The face I must have made then. Good thing she left the room right afterwards."

"I can imagine."

"No, you can't."

"Probably not. Catherine. Wow. Who'd have thought."

"Not me, that's for sure! I mean..."

"... she was always so motherly. Right?"

"Yeah. That's what it felt like, at least."

"And she always invited the both of us. For a drink or to grab something to eat."

"I told you, it's weird!"

"Good thing she doesn't know the whole truth, then."

"Don't. I don't even want to think about how she'd taking that."

"Me neither. Damn, but I feel bad about her."

"She will get over it. I might acquire some new bruises over the next time, but eventually she will get over it."

"Hm, no, the only one allowed to leave marks on your body is me."

"Oh, now you getting territorial on me?"

"Don't tell me you don't like it. And shut up and come to bed. I know better things you can do with that mouth of yours."

"Yes, master."

"Don't tempt me."

End