Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
886
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
4
Hits:
1,057

Dead To Me

Summary:

This is a response to Peja's challenge, Dead To Me. I've never tried this type of challenge fic before. I have to admit I normally find these type fics very funny, but I was hard pressed to find humour here and Peja wanted angst. I also find it hard to write since the words dictate the story sort of. I think I'm gonna try her Halloween challenge.
This is non slash
Use the following words:
"You're dead to me, have been for weeks..."
depressed
blood red moon
coyote's howl
cyclonic winds
desperate (desperation)

Work Text:

Dead To Me
by Snickersmobo

"You're dead to me, have been for weeks." I am not usually so hard on a woman, but Janie makes my blood run hot and cold.

She's a spitfire of a woman. Sun-kissed red hair, green eyes, slim hips. She's nearly as tall as me. She's beautiful.

We did enjoy a few weeks together and if I could have I would have proposed to her which is why her betrayal hurt so much. I don't take to a woman so fast, but Janie had been special. Intelligent, funny, kind and loving.

She took to me just as hard. She hadn't taken to the Kid though. I suppose we hadn't been together long enough for her to know that Kid and I were a package deal. Janie hadn't wanted to share me so she set up Curry to be caught by the sheriff.

The betrayal hurt. I hadn't had time to mourn our relationship because I was desperate to save Kid at first. After I rescued him and we high-tailed it from Canyon City, I pretended she was dead. Seemed easier that way. A month later and Janie had tracked us to River Junction.

"Oh, Heyes, it was a misunderstanding." Janie said coyly. She looked lovely in the green dress that matched her eyes. The skirt was shorter than most and I wondered if she sewed the hem up on purpose before finding me.

I stared hard at her the way I do to Wheat when he acts surely. "Misunderstanding? You turned my partner in."

Janie flinched as I spoke the words. As much as I wanted to touch her, to hold her, and make love to her, the one thing I couldn't do was trust her.

I left her no chance to speak. "Janie, I want you to go away. Go back to Canyon City. Whatever we had is gone. What you did is unforgivable."

My words were having the right effect for she gave me one last look before picking up her skirts and running for the station.

I stayed there as I watched her board the train, the inside of me hurting a little more.

I don't know how long I stared at the retreating train before I felt a hand on my shoulder. No need to turn since I knew it was the Kid.

"Want to get a beer?" Kid asked.

I'm sure Curry caught the entire exchange. Even if he didn't he'd know what I'm feeling. Sometimes it was unnerving that we knew each other so well.

It's a credit to him that he doesn't push when situations get difficult. He could have ended up in jail for 20 years due to Janie and he never got mad at me.

"No, Kid, I think it's time to move on." There wasn't a town in site for two days a ride, but I couldn't stay either.

"You go saddle the horses and I'll get our things." The hand left my shoulder and for a moment I felt alone. Janie still hurt inside. Kid understood that. Had we been in each other's position, the outcome would be the same. We have to stick together.

"Kid, you ever been in love?" I asked as we climbed the rocky mountain. The moon was blood red and we should have stopped for the night, but I wasn't tired. Kid was more or less letting me have my way without a fight. He understood what I was feeling.

"Yeah. Once or twice. It's hard on a wanted man." Kid words hit dead on.

Kid always had the right words. I felt a little better knowing I wasn't alone.

We stopped at the peak as a coyote howled in the distance. It was cold and it felt like we were alone in the world. The entire day left me depressed.

I watched Kid build a fire. I couldn't seem to muster the energy to help. I should have, but I couldn't. I stared into the open for a long time.

Kid threw a blanket at me and that's when I became aware that the wind had picked up.

"Thanks." Kid gave me a concerned look, but said nothing. I hadn't said more than ten words to him since Janie left. I smiled back at him knowing he wouldn't be fooled by it. Strange that sometimes our patience is sorely tested and at others, we let it go. Kid let me be and for that I was grateful.

I woke to cyclonic winds and nearly being blown from the mountain. Kid moved as fast as I did. We needed shelter and fast. I followed Kid's lead since I hadn't paid attention to the entire ride.

Kid grabbed my arm and threw me under a large overhanging rock. My eyes widened in disbelief as the horses whinnied and then stopped. The noise was incredible. Kid pushed me farther in and climbed on top of me in the tiny space.

I closed my eyes knowing we were in a wind storm with no real shelter.

The End