Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
6,870
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
22
Hits:
1,345

Advice Given

Summary:

Daniel gets some much needed advice from someone surprising. Jack/Daniel

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

Disclaimer: I don't own Stargate or any of the characters. I do not make any money off this story.

o-------o-------o-------o

ADVICE GIVEN

By Betsanne

o-------o-------o-------o

"Hello, Daniel," the glowing figure said.

Daniel blinked rapidly for a moment before replying hesitantly, "Er...hello."

"It's nice to see you again," the figure commented.

Daniel blinked once more before realizing that the glowing figure was actually male. He frowned thoughtfully as he gazed at the floating figure. It was an Ascended being. Why would an Ascended be visiting him? The only ones that he'd had any contact with before was Oma and Anubis.

"Do I know you?" Daniel asked softly.

"Ah, yes. I had forgotten that you've lost your memories of your time among us. My name is Will," he offered.

"Nice to meet you again, apparently. I'm sorry that I don't remember you, but that seems to be part of my punishment for being human," Daniel replied a little bitterly.

The glowing being coalesced into the shape of a man. He had brown hair and brown eyes. He reminded Daniel of someone. There was sense of familiarity, a vague sense that he knew this person and that he liked him, trusted him.

"I always told you that you were a maverick. You didn't respond well to the non-interference rule. I knew that the day would come when you would break the rules. I can't say that I was surprised," Will said, amusement lacing his voice.

Daniel shrugged. "Yeah, well, I hate following stupid rules. You were all too worried about the rules. You could've taken care of Anubis long before he became a problem, but no, you had to teach Oma a lesson. Thousands of people died because of him, but still you did nothing. I couldn't sit back and do nothing. Still, it took Oma finally having enough and taking care of Anubis herself before he was no longer a threat. It made me realize that being Ascended is nothing special, especially if you lose that part of yourself that makes you human, like your compassion. If that's what it's like to be an Ascended, then count me out," Daniel responded.

There was quiet for a moment and then Will chuckled. "You always were passionate in defending your actions," he said. He sighed and uttered softly, "I wish I had taken the opportunity to help, but I haven't been ascended that long, myself."

Daniel looked at him curiously. "Really? How long have you been ascended?" Daniel asked.

"It's going on ten years now," Will replied proudly. "Of course, it was a surprise when I found Oma standing over my death bed, giving me a choice whether or not to ascend. I have to admit, it wasn't a hard choice. I love an adventure and this has to be the ultimate one, and I got the chance to be among the stars. I've always loved the stars. My grandson takes after me," he uttered softly, his gaze absent.

"Grandson?" Daniel asked.

"Yeah, my grandson. A real rascal he is. He was always getting into things, asking questions, begging for stories of adventure. He took after me, I'm afraid. My son never really did know how to handle him. I was always proud of the boy. In my eyes, he could do no wrong. I wanted him happy. Even after I ascended, I stayed around and watched him. I watched him go through many things, horrible things and good things. I'm still quite proud of him," Will declared.

Daniel looked at the beaming man and sighed. He reached up to rub the bridge of his nose. Why was this being here? Daniel had been in the middle of a translation when he had seen a flash of light in the corner of his eye. It was never good when an Ascended being came to visit. It could only mean more trouble. Great, he thought to himself, this is just great. He hadn't been in a very good mood for the last couple of weeks. Jack had told him that Hammond had recommended him for a job in Washington. General Hammond wanted Jack to take over the Homeworld Security position. Jack hadn't made up his mind whether to go or not, and Daniel had to live with the thought that he would lose Jack. Not that Jack was actually his. He had been in love with the man for years, but he had never told him. He had watched with despair as Jack and Sam began to have feelings for each other. He knew that Jack would never love him, but watching them had killed what small hope, however incomprehensible, that he'd had left.

He had a feeling that if Jack took the job, it would clear the way for him and Sam to finally get together. Sam had broken off her engagement to Pete in favor of waiting for Jack to just take the chance. Daniel shook his head in resignation. He was going to lose Jack, one way or another; he was going to lose his best friend. He had been thinking about finally visiting Atlantis. He didn't want to be here when Jack and Sam got together. He didn't think he could handle the pain.

"Look, Will, this is all very fascinating, but what do you want with me?" Daniel asked impatiently.

Will looked at him gently and replied, "I'm here for my grandson." Will walked over to the couch and sat down next to Daniel.

Daniel was confused. "All right, so why are you coming to me?" he asked.

"Because you are the one person who can bring happiness to my grandson," Will said.

"How?" Daniel asked, confusion written on his face.

"By telling him of your feelings."

Daniel blinked. "Er...excuse me? I don't even know your grandson," Daniel exclaimed. He paused a moment then asked, "Do I?"

Will chuckled. "Yes, Daniel, you do. You know him very well."

Realization hit Daniel like lighting. That was who Will reminded him of. That was why there was a vague sense of familiarity. It wasn't because he remembered meeting him before, but because Will reminded Daniel of his grandson.

"Jack," Daniel replied faintly. "Jack is your grandson." Daniel sat down on the couch, shock written on his face.

"Yeahsureyabetcha," Will piped up mischievously.

Daniel groaned. "God, that's where he got it from," he muttered.

Will grinned. "When you got it, flaunt it," he said, amused.

Daniel's head whipped up as he remembered the reason Will was here. His face went white and despair filled his eyes. He shook his head. "No! There's no way I can tell him!" Daniel commented harshly.

The amusement faded from Will's eyes and he sighed mournfully. "You have to, Daniel. He needs you."

Daniel snorted bitterly. "He doesn't need me. He hasn't needed me in years. He has Sam now. I'm not about to interfere with them. They have a chance to be together now. If Jack takes this job, then he can finally have everything he ever wanted," Daniel finished, the hurt showing in his eyes.

Will looked at him with compassion. "That's where you're wrong, Daniel. He won't have everything he wanted. He won't have you. You're his best friend, his conscience, his touchstone. You are what makes him a better man. Colonel Carter, nice gal though she is, can't do that for him. He needs someone with an open heart and an open mind. He needs you."

Daniel stood up from the couch and began to pace. "No, he doesn't need me. I've seen the looks; I can feel the tension when they get together. It's been building for years, even before I ascended. I can't tell him about my feelings. He never knew and he doesn't need to know. It would only make him uncomfortable. He's straight, damn it, and military. There's no room in his life for me. Not anymore," Daniel whispered painfully. Tears pricked his eyes. For years, he had been repressing the pain, trying to be a friend to Jack. He didn't want to lose the man's friendship, so he said nothing. He acted no differently around him. Even if Jack didn't have anything against gay people, he would still be uncomfortable with Daniel having feelings for him. No, it was easier to keep it to himself.

"Daniel, please. He isn't happy. He hasn't been happy for years. This thing with Colonel Carter is a misguided, last ditch effort to find happiness. He doesn't want her and he doesn't want the job in Washington. What he wants is you!" Will exclaimed.

Daniel took a step back in shock. "What?" he whispered.

Will sighed. "I've been watching over Jack since I ascended. I hear him speak in the middle of the night, when there's no one around to hear him. I know all his fears and his dreams. Trust me; Samantha Carter is not the person he cries out for at night. She is not the one whose picture he stares at when things are tough. She is not the one that Jack takes out for a night on the town, and then watches over during the night. I've seen him sit on your bed in the guestroom when you stay over. He watches you for hours. He wants you and he loves you, but he doesn't think he has a chance in hell," Will explained, compassion filling his eyes.

Daniel shook his head in denial. "No, no. Just...no. There's no way that he loves me," he said, trying to wipe surreptitiously at his eyes. "I don't know why you're doing this to me. Is this some sort of delayed punishment for breaking the rules?" he asked painfully.

"NO! Daniel, this is not a punishment. I'm trying to help you, both of you. You can't remember how excited I was to finally meet the man who had drawn my grandson out of his shell after the death of Charlie. I ached at the inability to help him. Did you know that Jack was contemplating suicide before they asked him to be part of the Stargate program? You remember what a closed-off person my grandson was when you met him. I watched as he opened up to you on Abydos. He found something in you that sparked life in him again. After he came back from Abydos, when things got too tough, he would gaze up at the stars and talk to you. In a few days, you had become his best friend and he missed you. You can't imagine the joy and sorrow he had felt when he brought you home that night, a year later. He stayed up all night, watching over you. It pained him that you had lost your wife, but it had filled him with joy to know that you were back. He had gotten back the one person who made him feel human," Will explained.

Daniel stood in the middle of the room, his eyes wide with wonder. He hadn't known any of this. Jack had never told him just how important Daniel's friendship was to him. He had to sit down. He walked over to the couch and sat down next to Will, his gaze absent as he went over the last nine years. With a new perspective, he could see the things that he had missed before. The glances, the touches, the yearning looks. There were the small insignificant presents, nights over at Jack's house where they did nothing but just be together. Things had been different after he descended. There was a distance there that hadn't been there before. Daniel had taken it to mean that Jack's emotions were caught up in Sam, but what if there had been another reason for the distance?

"If he needed me so much, then why did he pull away from me?" Daniel asked.

Will sighed. "I'm sorry."

"What? Why?" Daniel asked, fear filling him.

"You didn't get all your memories back from before you were ascended. When you said nothing, Jack assumed either you suppressed it or you wanted to forget it ever happened. I don't think he ever realized that you never remembered. Why you didn't, I'm not sure, but you didn't, and that's when everything went wrong," Will replied.

Daniel was shocked. That seemed to be the theme for the night. He had memories that he still hadn't gotten back. Why? Why didn't he remember them?

"What? What were they? Tell me," Daniel pleaded.

Will smiled. "I can do better than that, I can show you. If that's what you truly want," he added gently.

Daniel nodded his head, eager to hear. "It's what I want. I need to know what I'm missing. If there is even a chance that Jack..." he trailed off, swallowing past the lump of emotion that had filled his throat. The thought of Jack having feelings for him both exhilarated him and terrified him. He was close to having what he had always wanted, but was he strong enough to take it?

Will stood up and hauled Daniel off the couch. "I need to share with you. Stand there and wait a moment while I get ready for you."

Daniel nodded nervously. He watched as Will began to glow and he lost his human form. Will floated over to him and gently surrounded him. Daniel gasped as a remembered sensation of sharing flowed over him. He had done this before. He had the memory sense of being embraced within Will's glowing arms. He felt safe, and loved. Daniel smiled softly as his eyes closed. He could feel Will's affection for him and laughed as Will tousled his hair with a gust of wind. Flashes of memories were flickering fast through his mind. They were too fast to figure out. Then the flashes stopped, and a memory long forgotten took over.

Daniel was sitting on his couch, reading Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. It was a guilty pleasure that none of his friends knew about. He knew that Jack would love nothing more than to tease him about reading a children's book, but he couldn't help it. He loved the series and watched the movies. He had them all on DVD and couldn't wait for the next one to come out.

There was a knock on his door and Daniel jumped. He looked at the door and was debating whether or not to answer it when he heard Jack yelling to open up. Daniel sighed as he hid the book under the cushions of his couch. Harry and company would have to wait until Jack left before he could read more.

Daniel got off the couch and made his way towards the door. He opened it up and looked at his friend. "Jack," he said shortly.

The man in question grinned at him. "Hey, I was bored and I thought I would come over and spend some time with you," he said cheerfully. "Can I come in?"

Daniel looked at him, biting his lip thoughtfully. "I don't know. I don't just let anyone into my apartment," he managed with a straight face. Daniel squinted distrustfully as he looked Jack up and down. "What makes you think I should trust you?"

Jack rolled his eyes, annoyed. He lifted a bag up and grinned slyly. "Crème filled long johns and some really expensive, really too strong ground roast," Jack said as he held up another bag.

Daniel's eyes brightened. "Well, then, you're welcome into my home." He grinned impishly as he grabbed the bags and headed to the kitchen. He heard the door shut as Jack came into the house. Jack was always good about bringing him doughnuts, food and coffee. He enjoyed the little presents that Jack always brought.

Daniel opened the bag of coffee and sniffed appreciatively, and then dumped out his coffee pot, even though he had just made it. He set the coffee up to percolate, then walked back into the living room where Jack was sitting on the couch, looking down at something in his hands. Daniel walked around the couch and groaned as he realized that Jack had found his book.

The man looked up at him and grinned. "I figured you would be beyond reading a child's book," he said humorously.

"All books are a blessing," Daniel said haughtily.

"Mmm...if you say so. But, Daniel, Harry Potter?" Jack asked archly.

"I happen to like Harry Potter," Daniel said reprovingly.

Jack nodded. "Personally, I think Severus Snape is a very misunderstood character. I think he's more interesting than Harry Potter himself," Jack declared decisively.

Daniel was aware that he was gaping at Jack, but it shocked him that Jack read Harry Potter, let alone that he was admitting to it. Jack looked at him, amusement written on his face.

"What? Did you think I was going to make fun of you?" Jack asked, his brown eyes twinkling merrily.

Daniel nodded once, and Jack shook his head, affection filling his face. "Daniel, I wouldn't make fun of that. I would find something better to tease you about. Do you know how many soldiers at the SGC read Harry Potter? Did you know they have a Harry Potter fan club that meets once a month? No, I wouldn't tease you about that," Jack smiled.

"Oh. Well, all right then," Daniel managed to get out. He paused and looked at Jack thoughtfully. "Jack?" he asked.

"Yeah?" Jack answered absently as he skimmed through the book.

"How do you know about the fan club?" Daniel asked innocently.

Jack's head whipped up, face a little pink, and he stuttered, "Er...I heard about it," he said.

Daniel stared at Jack a moment longer and noticed the man beginning to squirm. He arched an eyebrow and watched as the man caved with a big sigh, replying, "All right, I might be a member. Why? You going to tease me?"

Daniel grinned slyly. "Not if you let me know when the next meeting is," Daniel replied.

Jack snorted. "I can do that," he said.

"Good, now come into the kitchen and get some coffee. There's a couple of long johns that are screaming my name." With that said, Daniel got up and led the way.

Jack followed, and poured himself a cup of coffee. They talked for several hours about inconsequential thing, eventually moving back into the living room, and sitting on the couch. Daniel was sprawled out -- his legs resting on Jack's -- and he was giggling as Jack told him a story about his Grandfather, William Jonathan O'Neill. There was a man who Daniel would've loved to have met, but he had died years before. Daniel could see the love on Jack's face as he talked about his Grandfather. William O'Neill had been the only one, besides his mother, who had understood Jack. William was Jack's hero, the one person who he had never disappointed, no matter what he had done. Daniel could tell that Jack missed him terribly.

Jack sighed wistfully as he gazed into the darkened room. "You know, if there was one person I could tell about the Stargate, it would've been him. He had a love of stars that was insurmountable. He used to take me to the cabin and we would spend all night gazing at the stars. He told once that it was man's destiny to make their mark among them. He would never know how right he was," Jack said softly.

Daniel sat up, reached over and grabbed Jack's arm, squeezing it gently. Jack turned towards him, his face open. As he gazed at Daniel, an expression came into his eyes that made Daniel's heart race. He licked his dry lips and watched Jack's eyes dilate as his attention went to Daniel's mouth. Daniel froze, unsure of what to do. Jack leaned towards him and kissed him gently. Daniel gasped softly and closed his eyes as he felt the warmth of Jack's lips. The kiss was tender and loving, and Daniel melted into Jack.

He groaned as Jack's arms surrounded him and pulled him closer. The kiss grew more passionate. Their tongues dueled, and Daniel groaned as Jack's hands wandered underneath his shirt and caressed his skin. Daniel pulled back, his neck arching as he tried to catch his breath. Jack trailed kisses down his throat and Daniel uttered a deep groan.

"Jack," Daniel whispered hoarsely.

"Feels so good, Danny," Jack said thickly, arousal lacing his voice.

"Mmmm...you too," Daniel replied.

They continued to kiss for several minutes, harsh breathing and moans filling the air. The ringing of the phone startled them and Daniel groaned in annoyance. "Let the machine get it," he whispered.

"Huh," Jack grunted as he caressed Daniel's chest. He had taken the shirt off a few minutes earlier and he leaned down eagerly to suck at Daniel's nipples.

"Daniel, this is Sam. Our mission for tomorrow has been moved up. We'll be leaving at seven in the morning instead of nine. I tried to get a hold of the Colonel, but he isn't at home and he isn't answering his phone. I hoped he had come over to see you. If he does stop by, let him know about the mission. Be sure you go to bed tonight and get some sleep. Don't stay up too late working. I'll see you later." The machine turned off as Sam hung up the phone.

Daniel sighed mournfully. They both had to come back to reality. It had been wonderful kissing Jack, but it was also a surprise. He had had no idea that Jack even wanted him. Was there something going on? Daniel's heart began to fill with doubts. Why now? Why was today the day to do something?

He pulled back and looked at Jack. "Why did you kiss me?"

Jack looked at him in surprise. "You didn't seem to mind," he replied.

"I didn't, I'm just surprised. I never knew you wanted me. You know, being military and all," Daniel shrugged.

Jack sighed. "Daniel, you're not the first man I kissed, hell, you wouldn't even be the first man I had sex with," he commented.

Daniel blinked at him in surprise. "Huh. I never knew that," Daniel said.

Jack grinned. "Well, you obviously did some of your own experimentation," Jack commented impishly.

Daniel looked at him nervously. He bit his lip and said, "Er...not so much." "What?" Jack said in surprise.

Daniel shrugged. "You're the first man I've ever kissed. I never wanted to kiss any other man but you."

"Oh," Jack breathed.

"Is that a problem?" Daniel asked hesitantly.

Jack shook his head. "No, it's not a problem. We should probably take it slow, though. I don't want to scare you off," he said gently. "I love you too much."

Daniel drew in a shocked breath. The room was quiet as Jack began to squirm uncomfortably. "You love me?" Daniel asked wondrously.

Jack bobbed his head. "Yeah, you know," he replied awkwardly.

"Oh, Jack," Daniel sighed. He reached over and grabbed Jack's hand. He brought it up to his mouth and kissed it. "I love you, too. I just never thought I would get the chance to say it. I thought you and Sam were getting closer. You know, now that you care for her more than you should," he ended in a tentative whisper, using the words floating around the rumor mill.

"Danny, I care for all of my team more than I should. We're all close, but it's not what you think when it comes to Carter. She seems to think that it meant more, but I talked to her not long ago and told her that there was nothing there. She's a good friend and a fine officer, but that's all. You're the one that I love. I've loved you for years," Jack explained.

Daniel smiled joyfully. "Really?" he asked.

"Really," Jack answered him with an equally joyful smile.

Daniel leaned forward and kissed Jack, then pulled back and whispered, "I'm not quite ready for the physical part of this relationship. Give me a little time. We can talk more after our mission tomorrow. For now, I want to spend some more time kissing," Daniel said naughtily.

Jack leered. "All right, but after we get back from Kelowna, you're mine," he said.

"Deal," Daniel muttered before he pounced.

Daniel blinked as he became aware of his surroundings again. He looked at Will in despair. "I died. I died and we never had a chance to talk some more. I can't believe I forgot that. He loves me, he has for years. Oh, God, what he must be thinking? He has to think that I never wanted it. I suppressed the one memory that would've made my life so much better. Why?" Daniel shouted in anger.

"I'm not sure, son, but now that you know, you need to let Jack know. He's lost hope of you ever returning his love. He thinks it was fluke, a momentary aberration on your part," Will explained. "My boy needs you. Go and make him happy, and yourself as well. Oh, and don't tell him about me, would ya? I'm not quite ready to face him yet."

Daniel smiled. "You know, whenever Jack told me a story about you, I always thought that I would've loved to have met you. I'm glad we spent some time together, even though I don't remember it. Why haven't you appeared to Jack yet? I know you can," Daniel asked. "He would love to know that you're out there among the stars."

Will shrugged. "At first, it was because the pain was still too fresh. He didn't need to see me then. Afterwards, I guess it was just habit. I just watched. I didn't want to interfere in his life and explain what had happened to me. Even now, when he knows about ascension, I still find it difficult to face him. I keep thinking he'll be mad at me for waiting so long," Will said quietly.

Daniel nodded. "Maybe, but you know how tickled he'll be to find that you're still around."

Will looked thoughtful. "Yeah, he would be, wouldn't he? I'll think about, but for now, you need to leave. Go before he makes that decision on the job. The SGC needs him here, not in Washington."

"Thank you, Will," Daniel said as he grabbed his keys off the table and made his way to the door. He turned back to say something and saw no one there. With a grin, he left.

o-------o-------o-------o

Daniel knocked on Jack's door. It was midnight, but he couldn't put this off. He needed to let Jack know that he remembered, that he still loved him, and that he didn't want Jack to take the job in Washington; he needed Jack here, with him.

Daniel frowned as he heard no movement coming from inside of the house. He knocked once again and waited, but nothing. Daniel grumbled softly under his breath. "Why can't the man be home? I need to talk to him?"

"He's not home, ya know," a voice said behind him.

Daniel whirled around and sighed with relief as he saw a grinning Jack looking at him.

"Funny, Jack. I really don't want to die of a heart attack. A little warning the next time, please. What are you doing outside so late?" Daniel asked with a frown.

Jack rolled his eyes. " Kettle, meet Pot. Pot, meet Kettle," he muttered.

Daniel flushed. "Er...right. None of my business," he replied.

Jack looked at him in concern. "I was out for a walk. I needed to clear my head. You all right?" he asked, unlocking the door to his house.

"Yeah, I need to talk to you. It's important," Daniel said nervously.

Jack gave him an intent look before nodding his head slowly. He opened the door to his house and walked in. Daniel followed and looked around idly.

"You want something to drink?" Jack asked as he made his way to the kitchen.

"Water would be good," Daniel said.

Jack stopped, turned and stared at him intently. He walked back to him. "All right, what's going on?" he asked.

Daniel licked his lips nervously and watched as Jack's gaze fell to his lips. God, it was like déjà vu. "What do you mean?" Daniel asked.

"You never ask for water. Coffee yes, wine yes, tea now and then, juice maybe, beer once in a while, but water...no, you never ask for water. So, something must be going on. Now, talk," Jack demanded.

"Don't take the job in Washington," Daniel blurted out.

Jack's eyes widened in surprise. "Daniel...," he began.

"No, listen to me," Daniel cut in, and he began to pace. "You don't belong in Washington. I know it's a great opportunity for you, but the SGC needs you, not some Commander who has no clue as to what's going on. Your people need you, Teal'c needs you, Sam needs you, I need you," Daniel finished softly.

"Daniel," Jack said gently.

"You can't just leave!" Daniel yelled. "I thought I could let you go. I thought you would be happy. I thought you and Sam would finally be able to be together and I could just step aside and let it happen, but I can't. Hell, I won't!" Daniel whirled around and stared at Jack. "You. Are. Not. Going. To. Washington," he bit out.

Jack blinked rapidly. "Okay. Are you done now? Can I talk?" he asked sarcastically.

Daniel crossed his arms, frowned and said, "If you have to. But if I don't like what I hear, I'm going to stop you."

Jack shook his head, amused. He walked over to Daniel, grabbed his upper arms, and massaged them gently. Daniel relaxed at Jack's touch and sighed.

"I already called Hammond to let him know that I'm not taking the job. You're right, the SGC needs me at the helm. I wasn't ready to leave my friends or my home for another desk job that I know will bore me within a week," Jack explained.

"Oh...er...sorry," Daniel said sheepishly.

"No, it's all right. It's nice to know that you would miss me if I left," Jack said with a lopsided grin.

"Right," Daniel commented.

"Is that all? Is that why you came over tonight?" Jack asked as he took a step away from Daniel.

Daniel swallowed hard. He had been motivated and revved up on the way over here. He had been excited by the knowledge that he had learned from Will. Now that he was here, he was nervous. Did Jack still love him or was he tired of waiting after all these years? Will said he did, but how much was the truth and how much was wishful thinking?

"Daniel?" Jack said, confused.

"No, that's not all. I um...something happened tonight. I...er...remembered something that happened before I ascended. I thought I had all my memories, but apparently I didn't," Daniel replied softly.

Jack froze and his gaze became intent as he stared at Daniel. Daniel could see the hope flare up in his eyes. For the first time that night, Daniel relaxed. He was sure that everything would be okay, that Jack still loved him.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Daniel asked softly. "I didn't remember that night. For some reason, that was the one memory that I never regained, but damn it Jack, I still love you. I didn't forget that. I've waited for years for a sign from you, anything, to let me know that you wouldn't be opposed to the idea of a relationship with me. I never saw anything. How do you think I felt when I saw you and Sam getting closer? It was tearing me apart, but I did nothing because I thought that's what you wanted. All along, you knew that I loved you. Hell, you told me that you loved me too. Why, Jack, why didn't you say anything?" Daniel asked painfully.

Jack swallowed hard and his eyes shined with emotion. "You had just come back and you were confused. I didn't want to add another burden onto you. When you told me that all your memories came back and yet you said nothing about that night, I thought you wanted to pretend it never happened. I thought it had just been a fluke on your part. You had never shown any interest in me before that night or since. It was only later that I thought that maybe you hadn't remembered that night. I assumed it was something that you wanted to forget."

Tears filled Jack's eyes and Daniel sucked in a breath. He hated to see Jack in such pain.

"It hurt," Jack admitted. "God, did it hurt, but I figured if that's what you wanted, then that's what you would get. I tried to be a good friend to you, even though I put some distance between the two of us. It was hard being the only one to remember that night. I'm sorry, Danny. If I had even thought that there was a possibility that you still wanted this, I would've told you. Instead, I tried to make myself love Sam. I used her crush on me to make myself feel better. I hurt her in the process by unconsciously promising her something I was never going to be able to deliver. I thought leaving for Washington was the perfect opportunity to put you and the SGC behind me. It was hard pretending that I only cared for you as a friend. I was getting tired of the denial. As the deadline got closer, I realized that I couldn't leave you. You're my Danny. I can't let you go. I figured if you needed me as a friend, then I would be the best friend you ever had. I went and told Sam the truth," Jack explained.

Daniel's eyes widened. "You told her that you loved me?" he asked, shocked.

Jack chuckled. "Not hardly. I just told her that I didn't have those kinds of feelings for her, and that I was staying at the SGC. I know she had hopes that we could be together if I took the promotion, but it just wasn't going to work out. She can't really see past the General aspect and all I'll ever see her as is an officer. She wasn't happy, but she understood."

"Ah," Daniel said.

"Danny? Do you still love me?" Jack asked in a small voice.

Daniel looked at Jack thoughtfully. He had never heard such a tone from Jack before. The Jack he knew wasn't that insecure, that timid. Perhaps years of denial and repression had had its effect on the man.

Daniel walked over to Jack, leaned forward and kissed him. Jack whimpered and pulled Daniel in close. They kissed hard, passionately, lovingly. Their tongues dueled relentlessly and Jack groaned when Daniel bit his lip gently. Daniel pulled back, reached up, and caressed Jack's face.

"I have loved you for years, Jack, and I always will. Even when I couldn't remember you, I knew that there was a connection between us. You're my best friend, and the center of my heart. You give my life meaning. So, yes, Jack, I still love you," Daniel confirmed softly.

"Danny," Jack said brokenly.

Daniel pulled the man into a hug and held him as Jack shook with the release of long-suppressed emotions. "I thought I had lost this," Jack whispered. "I thought I would never have a chance to feel this with you. For once in my life, I'm glad that I was wrong."

Daniel chuckled. "I am too."

They stood there together, basking in each other's presence. Daniel reveled in Jack's smell, the sensation of his skin, Jack's hair against his cheek. He felt safe in Jack's embrace. He felt like he had finally come home. Jack pulled away and leaned in for a kiss. It was gentle and loving, and Daniel sighed with contentment.

When the kiss ended, Jack grinned mischievously. "So, Danny, I have to ask, do you still want to go slow on the physical?" he asked.

Daniel snorted. "Not hardly. I've waited for you for years. There is no such thing as slow when it comes to us," he said impatiently. He grabbed Jack's hand and pulled the laughing man down the hallway to the bedroom. It was going to be a night they would never forget.

o-------o-------o-------o

EPILOGUE

Jack woke up suddenly, certain that he wasn't alone in the room. He waited silently and listened. Daniel was on a mission with the rest of SG-1. He had made sure to let Mitchell know that if something happened to Daniel, there would be hell to pay. He liked Mitchell, but he didn't trust many people to watch over Daniel.

"I know you're awake, John boy. You might as well get up," a male voice said.

Jack froze in disbelief. There was no way in hell that was who it sounded like. The man was dead. He had been dead for ten years now. Jack should know. He missed the man every day since his death.

The voice sighed. "John boy, I swear to you if you don't get up, I'm going to show you what I learned since I died," Will said impatiently.

"Grandad?" Jack asked hesitantly. He sat up in the bed and stared in shock at the faintly glowing man that was standing at the end of his bed.

"You're dead," Jack said woodenly.

"Yes, son, I am. Well, my body is, but my soul has ascended to a higher plane of existence," Will exclaimed whimsically.

"Ascended?" Jack squeaked.

"Ascended. I know you know what that means. I was watching when Daniel died, when he ascended. Good boy, that Daniel. Never was one to listen to the rules," Will said proudly.

"Grandad," Jack said, his voice emotional.

"Ah, John boy. It's all right. Daniel was right. I should've visited you a long time ago," Will commented sadly.

"Daniel knew that you were ascended?" Jack asked, his voice filled with outrage.

Will snorted. "Knock it off, John boy. He had his reasons for not telling you. First time around, he forgot all about me. I just had to meet the man that my grandson had fallen in love with. I must say, boy, you have good taste. If I wasn't ascended and well, straight, you might have yourself some competition. That Daniel of yours is a mite purty youngun," he said cheerfully.

"Hands off, old man, he's taken," Jack snarled. Will chuckled and Jack sighed at his grandfather's antics. One of his few regrets was that his grandfather never got to meet Daniel. Well, it looks like that not only had his grandfather met Daniel, but he had spent time with him as well.

"And the second time?" Jack asked.

"Huh?" Will inquired absently.

Jack rolled his eyes. Even dead, or ascended as his inner voice told him, his grandfather was still the same.

"Daniel's reason for not telling me?" Jack prompted.

"Ah yes, the second time, well, I told him not to tell you. I have to admit, I was afraid that you would get mad, knowing that I had ascended and not told you. At first, it wasn't a problem, but as soon as you found out about ascension, I should have visited you, but I didn't. I guess even being on a higher plane of existence doesn't mean you gain more wisdom," Will said thoughtfully.

"Why were you visiting him a second time?" Jack asked.

"Simple, my boy. I have been watching you since I ascended. I knew you were unhappy and I knew that Daniel could make you happy. I helped him remember what he'd forgotten. You wouldn't have been happy in Washington or with Colonel Carter. You needed Daniel and he needed you. I wanted you to enjoy life, not crawl through it without any happiness."

Jack looked at him gratefully. "You always were looking out for me. Thank you, grandad. I don't know how much longer I could've gone without him," he admitted.

William smiled cheerfully. "Just tell me that you're happy."

The grin on Jack's face grew into a joyful smile as he replied, "I am, grandad, I really am."

Will nodded. "Then that's all that matters."

"So, tell me, how are things on the ascended plane?" Jack asked impishly.

"Oh Lord, John boy, let me tell you, when you watch over other beings, the things you see. Let me tell you about the time I found two women, a goat, some berries and a...." Will began.

Oma watched them talk and smiled, pleased. She would be there when Daniel and Jack's mortal bodies ceased to live, and she would help them to ascend. Will, Jack and Daniel were going to be a breath of fresh air in a sea of stagnation. They would shake up the Others. Things would never be the same again.

She couldn't wait.

The End.

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author betsanne.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.