Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
3,052
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
8
Hits:
1,183

The Mother’s Day Gift

Summary:

A Mother's Day Gift for Debbie doesn"t get the responds expected.
Archiving: WWOMB, ckos, ATP
Disclaimer: All characters and situations from Queer as Folk are
owned by Russell T. Davies, Ron Cowen and Daniel Lipman, Showtime,
and others.
Author Notes: Thank you Shirin for being a great beta.

Work Text:

A Mother's Day Gift

I'm sitting in the last booth at the back of the diner as has become my habit in the last few months. As a budding writer I found it the best place to sit and watch life go by. I soon found after arriving in Pittsburgh that Liberty Avenue was the center of the gay community. And Liberty Diner is the heart.

My dream has always been to be able to take a couple of years off to write a book. I was never sure of what the book would be about until the story of the mayor's race upset came over the wire at the newspaper where I was working. It was that very day that I received noticed of my grandfather's passing. My grandfather had been the only one in the family to accept me after I came out. He had setup a large trust account for me as well as transferring some of his stocks over to me. But an illness had overtaken him before he could notify me. It did finally come out at the reading of the will. And that is how I came to be here in the diner, living my dream.

I have always dreamt of writing a book that makes people stop and think about their own actions. I found it in the story of a Police Chief, a long shot, running against a politician, the sure thing. The polls flipped almost overnight when the Police Chief started a campaign to clean up the city by targeting a small select group. Then small factions of the group started to fight back. This did change the polls some, but it is the end that really fascinated me, a group out of nowhere that flooded TV screens with an ad that not only moved the targeted group to act by voting, but caused a large population to re-think their position. The end results? The Police Chief lost.

I arrived in Pittsburgh about two months after the election. I jumped in with both feet to learn all about the election campaign and the players involved. This is the one time that being from a "cops" family has helped. My story soon was jumping onto the pages as I wrote of Stockwell and of Brian Kinney, who spearheaded the campaign. It was hard to fill in all the pieces without talking to Brian but no matter what I did he wouldn't talk with me. I tried everything that I could think of, including money. I even tried approaching him on bended knees and bare-assed, but his only response was, "I don't fuck reporters."

Stockwell, on the other hand, was very open to me--after all, I am the son of a police chief--until the investigation of Jason Kemp's murder and the cover-up was reaching its critical climax and his lawyer shut him down. The investigation ended with Stockwell resigning as Chief of Police and heading for a trial. Some cops where open and talkative at first until they saw that a change was about to hit the police force.

Over several months, I became like a fly on the wall as I sat at the back of the diner. I sat and observed, learning of the community, especially Brian and his strange family. Debbie talked and talked, telling me tales of the group when she found out about my book. It is through her that I got a first glimpse of what Brian must really be like. She loves him like a son, despite everything that he has put Michael and her through. I realized that while Debbie sees all the boys of Liberty Avenue as hers, Michael, Brian and Justin are the ones whom only she is allowed to say anything bad about, a mother protecting her cubs.

But on Mother's Day an earthquake rolled through Liberty Avenue.

The next morning found me sitting, as usual, in the back booth. I could hear the whispers running through the diner. Debbie was practically throwing food at the customers. She gave no smiles, no jokes. It was so unlike her. When someone came in with the latest issue of Rage, Debbie totally lost it. She stormed out the back door, not returning until it was almost time for the lunch rush.

I sat in the booth watching the next shocking scene play out.

Michael and Justin walked into the diner to get some lunch. The place came to a harsh quiet. All eyes in the room turned, watching as the two men sat down at the counter. I had the feeling that they could feel the eyes in the room drilling into them but they didn't acknowledge it. I'm sure they knew that all of Liberty Avenue had heard of the problem with their Mother's Day gift.

Debbie walked over to them. The slight smile she had faded away with the drop of the noise level and the first glimpse of them. She coldly asked, "what would you like? TO GO!"

Debbie was so angry that I don't think she trusted herself to say anything else to them. We watched as she took their order, hooked it onto the ring, and then turned it in for the cook to see. Most in the room returned to their own world as she reached out to pick up the orders that were ready to be delivered. The noise in the diner returned to normal as she continued to work. She moved throughout the diner, talking with all except the two men.

If Michael or Justin said anything to Debbie, she acted as if it was the first time they had been in the diner--and she hoped it would be the last. As if they were two straight men who had walked in uninvited. She placed their drinks in front of them then ran off to wait on anyone else. The men silently sat drinking while waiting for their food. No one in the diner dared talk or go near them for fear of Debbie's wrath.

The cook hit the bell to announce their order was up. Debbie reached up and pulled the two orders down. She worked quickly, placing them in the take-out containers then into a bag. She walked over and handed the bag and bill to the men, who hurriedly paid the bill and left. Everyone still in the diner turned their attention to Debbie as the door shut.

"Those assholes have some nerve coming in here after what they did. Brian never did anything as bad as that. I'm taking a break!" With that, Debbie walked out the back.

I pulled out the copy of Rage that I had picked up on the way to the diner. Now that Debbie was out of the diner again, I felt it would be safe to look at it. This is what the problem was supposed to be about.

I turned page after page until I reached the first one with Zephyr's mother on it. Michael and Justin had used Debbie as the inspiration for it. You could see that with the first frame. The woman had been drawn with the wild red hair that we all have come to love. The outfit could easy be taken for what she had on today. The buttons and mismatching of colors were just right. I continued to read.

In the story, Zephyr, Rage and JT try to give flowers to Zephyr's mom for Mother's Day, but the bad guys steal them all, Zephyr's Mom had gotten some flowers to take to a friend in the hospital. The bad guys stole them from her, too. Next, she is shown shrieking and running after them. The way the next few frames are drawn causes everyone to laugh, a good to the soul kind of laugh. But then Rage and Zephyr come to the rescue while JT comforts Zephyr's Mom. Of course, in the end the boys make dinner and bring the flowers to her after locking up the bad guys and saving Mother's Day.

Setting Rage back in the bag, I realized the noise in the diner had once more returned to normal. People had returned to their lunches, but no Debbie could be found. As I stared out the front windows, I could see the news of the latest incident hit the airwaves. It had made the afternoon Liberty Avenue Gossip Hotline, and by evening it would be all over the community.

Just after Debbie's second return, Brian walked into the diner. He glanced around, checking for the guys, then headed for the counter. I watched as Debbie walked over to him, leaned down and gave him a big kiss on the cheek as he sat down. Of course the noise in the diner dropped once more, so it was easy to hear their conversation.

"What would you like, sweetie?"

Brian glanced uncomfortably at Debbie "Turkey on wheat, no mayo. To go"

"Brian," Debbie cooed, "you can stay right here and enjoy your lunch." She sat a cup of coffee down in front of him and smiled at him expectantly.

"Debbie," Brian sighed, "I need to get back to work. Please, may I have it to go?"

Brian wore a look that said, *how long do I have to put up with this? How long is it going to take you to understand they didn't mean to hurt you? You were begging for your own character. You're fucking driving me crazy.* But all he did was smile and let her fawn over him. He was acting like how one thinks a son should, so very unlike the Brian I've heard of.

Debbie came back in no time with Brian's lunch. He took the bag and handed her the money. Once he was out the door, the Liberty Avenue Gossip Hotline went into full force.

It wasn't long before the diner settled down to the post-lunch crowd and noise. Debbie sat down with her lunch at my table to eat and talk. I often find Debbie at my table for her breaks and lunch or dinner.

Quietly, I started: "Debbie, can I ask you something?"

She nodded, having just taken a bite of her salad.

"Please don't get mad--I'm just trying to understand. Why are you so angry about Rage?" I leaned back as she looked over at me. I thought about running for my life but, to my surprise, her eyes softened slightly.

"They made me look like a joke," she said, deflated. "There's no respect in the way they show me in it. Zephyr's mother looks like some clown. And the way she acts seems as if she has no control over herself. The bad guys come after other people on the street, but she's the only one who's shrieking and chasing after them. She just looks out of control. Like a wild woman! It's embarrassing!" The redhead pursed her lips, on the verge of tears. "I wanted something I could be proud of. You know--show it off to everyone, not feel like I need to hide it."

I reached deep inside for the strength to tell her what I thought, hoping to still be alive afterwards. "Can I tell you what I saw in Rage?" I asked, not sure if I would need to run for the door or just fall to the ground and beg for mercy. But she just nodded for me to continue.

"I think Michael and Justin are trying to show you how protected you make them feel. You're always there to defend them, to defend us all. Sometimes you do get a little crazy--at least that's what you've told me. I see three men in the story trying very hard to show this woman how much they love her. Even when she is wild and out of control they love her and want her to know that. I think it's a wonderful way for them to tell you Happy Mother's Day. And remember this isn't just some little card that only you will see but a great big one for all the world to see."

I could see in her eyes that she really was thinking about what I said. Her eyes brightened and a smile started to appear. And I was still alive, so I went on.

"Have you looked in the mirror today?" I continued. "I think you should, then look at the comic. I hope you will see the wonderful, supportive woman that all of us lost boys see. The one person in the world that we would all go to if we needed help. Even when we know it means a lecture and being yelled at first. We all see you as a mother in a way, the one person in the world that accepts us. Hell, Debbie, you treat me better than my mom! After I came out she disowned me. I am so envious of Michael, Brian and Justin. Think about it, and think about Brian. He let you get away that wild display today."

Debbie considered for a moment. "You're right. Brian did let me mother him today. That's really not like him, except when he's protecting someone." As she stood to leave, she leaned down and planted a kiss on my check. "Well, lunch is over for me. Thanks for talking, showing me a different picture. And you're still alive." She winked at me as she left the booth.

I watched as she returned to work. Something about her seemed to have changed. Soon I saw the "normal" Debbie: back throwing jokes, comments and smiles. I wanted to believe things would be ok now.

I was about to pack up and leave when the door opened and in came Ben. He was carrying flowers and walking with determined steps.

"Debbie," her son's partner said. "I'm here to take you to dinner." He handed the flowers to her. The look in his eyes was defiant, as if he wouldn't take "no" for an answer.

"That would be nice." She smiled, as she took the flowers and smelled them. I think he almost fainted.

At that moment, I saw Brian standing with the door to his 'vette open. He was right outside the front door and looked as if he was waiting to kidnap someone. I think Brian would have fainted too, if he hadn't been leaning on the car as Ben and Debbie walked out of the diner, arm in arm.

"Thank you, Brian," said Debbie as she neared him. "I would love to have dinner with you both. The flowers are beautiful." And with that, she sat down in the car.

The two men just hurried to the other side and got in. I watched as the three left for what promised to be a very interesting evening. If only I could be a fly on that wall. I left and headed down the street for home.

The next day, Debbie told me how Ben and Brian took her to the loft. The following is her story.

*They sat me on the couch, and then sat down on chairs, facing me.

They looked like they had a big speech worked out. One in which they would make me see that Michael and Justin had only meant to do a good thing for me. I just couldn't let them continue like that.

I smiled a big smile and asked, "where's Michael and Justin? Won't they be joining us for dinner?" I acted as if nothing had happened.

Those two nearly fell off their chairs! Then they just kept staring first at each other then back at me. I don't think I've ever seen Brian so confused in all the time I've known him. And Ben--well that was priceless, the big professor with no clue what to say. While I tried my best to keep a straight face, I just didn't want to lose the moment. It's not often that you can make Ben and Brian totally lose their composure! Finally I just let out a big laugh because I couldn't hold it in anymore.

When I finally stopped laughing I explained how you told me what you saw in Rage. I explained that seeing it though your eyes helped me realize that Michael and Justin really did a sweet thing. They had given me the character that I had been asking for. Then I grabbed them both and gave them each a big kiss.

Next they took me to the comic book store where Michael and Justin were waiting. I went in by myself. The two of them looked up as I came in. They looked so sad and miserable that I just I ran over and pulled them into a big hug. I told them I was sorry--but could they make Zephyr's mother more glamorous next time? We all laughed at that and they agreed that they would dress me up next time. All five of us went to dinner and had a great time.*

Debbie returned to her work then, thanking me again for sharing my views with her. I watched as the good news passed from booth to booth. The Liberty Avenue Gossip Hotline picked up the update and started it on its way. Debbie had made peace with the boys and the family was ok once more.

I finished my food and packed to leave. I waved to Debbie on my way out. I had walked about two blocks when Brian pulled up and called out to me.

"Hey--do you want to talk?"

THE END

Happy Mother's Day