Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
945
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
3
Kudos:
8
Hits:
1,152

Losing the bet

Summary:

Xander loses a bet. You'll see.

Work Text:

Pairing: Xander/Surprise

Disclaimer: Not mine, yet.

Thanks to Edi for the beta.

Summary: Xander loses a bet. You'll see.

AN: Willow and Oz are still together. So are Riley and Buffy. There is minor Willow bashing in this.

 

Losing the Bet
by Caliadragon

 

Xander cleared his throat and looked around uneasily. Smiling, he stepped up to the mic. "Hi, I'm Xander and I lost a bet. So you all have to listen to me sing one song. Sorry." The crowd laughed at his sheepish and embarrassed words. His friends were among those laughing. Xander turned to look at Oz, who was smirking. Devon lounged on a nearby speaker and grinned foolishly at him. Xander sighed and nodded at his so called friend.

He had gotten to pick the music at least. No one knew, but Xander was a writer and loved music. He had given the band the music he had written and now had to sing, before the crowd. Even Deadboy, Cordy and their crew had come down to Sunnyhell to witness his humiliation. It was bad enough that he lost the bet abo! ut another demon wanting to fuck and kill him before the week was out. No, Buffy had to go and call everyone in. Even Riley and some of his friends were there.

Xander closed his eyes and let the music wash over him. He had no idea of the picture he made; how beautiful he was. He swayed slightly to the music and a half smiled crossed his face.

"Do you see the real me
Do you see the man that I am
Or am I what you see in memory
Do you know the way I am

Do you ever wonder
What I dream of
Do you ever care
What I cry about

Maybe it's easy to
Just pretend I am
The man you think I am
Maybe you finally see

I'm so much more
Than you want me to be
Words have power
At least over me

 

But baby that power
That you had has died

Tonight I'm my own man
I'm not weak and I don't need
Anyone to protect me
Tonight I'm my own man

 

You broke my heart
So many times
Chose others to be kind
I was just someone to use

When you were left behind and abused
I've changed for the better
Don't worry baby, no I'm not bitter
I've got someone now

He loves me and that's alright
You may think I'm a fool tonight
But I'm coming out of the closet
Yeah, that's right

I've been seen as a fool
The Zeppo, the useless
Been used as a tool
But I've found the future

And if you can't deal
My lover and I can find
Someone who will

Yeah words have power
And I guess you see
I'm more than you
Want me to be"

 

As the song ended, Xander opened his eyes and looked at his lover. There were tears in his eyes, and Xander could see that he was touched. In the background, Anya smiled at him sadly and looked at the Scoobies. Surprisingl! y, it was Willow who looked angry. Xander didn't care.

He had found what he needed in the arms of a man he never thought would want him. Someone who was far more than others thought he was. They had turned out to have so much in common. Xander no longer cared what his friends thought of him, or if they approved of who he loved. Smiling at the shocked look on Oz's face and Devon's knowing smirk, he calmly walked off the stage. The room had erupted in screams and clapping as soon as Xander had finished singing. As he walked through the crowd, people took the opportunity to tell him how much they liked the song.

As he passed her, Willow scowled at him and Buffy grinned. He saw acceptance and humor in her eyes. Angel merely raised an eyebrow, and Giles shook his head at the young man. Only Xander would use a bet to 'come out'.

When he reached Anya she kissed his cheek and pushed him into the arms of his lover. They both laughed at her, and Xand! er allowed himself to be drawn into a passionate and loving kiss.

"Wes?" Cordy asked in a shocked voice.

"Yes, Cordelia?" Wes murmured, a bit shocked by what he was seeing.

"Do you see Spike laying a lip lock on Xander?" she asked.

"Yes, I do," Wes murmured.

"Good. For a minute there I thought I'd lost my mind," Cordy answered, then burst into laughter. She threw her arm around Wes and Gunn's shoulders and looked over at Angel. He looked as stunned as she was. He moved to stand beside his friends.

"I certainly wasn't expecting this," Angel murmured. He looked over at the Scoobies and could all but see the steam coming off of Willow and Giles. Surprisingly, Buffy wasn't angry. Instead she seemed pretty amused and pleased by the whole thing.

Angel caught her eye and they shared a smile. He missed her, but they had both moved on. He knew that she loved Riley, and he was in love with Wes. He wouldn't ! have expected Xander to fall in love with his wayward Childe. Though now that he thought about it, the two were a lot alike. Both of them were shy and covered it up with jokes and cutting barbs. Angel wished them happiness.

 

The End