Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
1,491
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
5
Hits:
841

Saving The Day

Summary:

Xander/Anya: Up to Graduation Day then I'm in my own little world

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

Xander/Anya

Spoilers: Up to Graduation Day then I'm in my own little world

Disclaimer: If I owned it, I wouldn't be writing fan fic

 

SAVING THE DAY

By Mary

Anya: Are you really going to be that much help to them? You'll probably just get in the way.
Xander: Your stock's plummeting here, sweetheart.
Anya: Fine, I hope you die! (Xander shrugs and walks off) Aren't we going to kiss?

Those were the last words Anya had said to Xander before he headed back to the library to help his friends try to stop the ascension. Friends, that was a foreign concept to Anya.

Being a demon for over 1000 years didn't put you in a position to have friends. Anya slowly started to walk out to her car yet something was telling her to turn back and go to Xander. Having spent so long listening to women tell her how awful men were actually liking one felt strange. Her mind was telling her that Xander was a guy and all guys did was hurt women. Yet there was this strange feeling inside her, that barfy feeling she was telling Xander about, that made her want to go and stand by his side and together they could get through this. When she reached her car Anya couldn't open the door, she just couldn't make herself leave.

Anya just leaned against her car and sank to the concrete and sat to think.

This love thing was both the worst and most wonderful thing Anya had ever experienced. Every time she was around Xander she wanted to touch him, somehow have contact with his body. The irony of the situation hadn't been lost on her either. Here she was, falling for the guy who was responsible for her being in Sunnydale in the first place.

There had been times in the last few days when she caught herself being thankful that Xander cheated on Cordelia and that Giles had destroyed her necklace. She had dreams about Xander, very happily ever after dreams. The kind of things that made her question everything she had ever thought about men. Anya was beginning to understand why, no matter how much it hurt, women couldn't stop themselves from falling in love.

Just then Anya heard some voices on the other side of her car. This being Sunnydale she stayed very still and just listened.

"So who's inside?" Anya heard a male voice say.

"Just the Slayer, the Watcher and some guy. With a good sneak attack we should be able to at least take the two guys out."

"Good, the Mayor will be pleased. Let's regroup around back and head in."

Anya listened till she couldn't hear their footsteps anymore. Without thought to her personal well being she ran towards the school. The only thing going through her mind was that she had to warn Xander. She wanted to start screaming as soon as she entered the school, but thought better of it. Anya didn't want to alert the vampires to her presence. She ran as fast as she could to the library and threw herself through the doors. Xander, Buffy and Giles looked up in alarm as Anya crashed through the doors and fell to the floor. Xander ran over and helped her up.

"What's wrong? Why are you still here?" Xander asked. He couldn't mask the concern in his voice.

"I was outside," Anya gasped out, "at my car thinking about things. I heard these voices, vampires. Sneak attack to kill you and Giles. NOW!"

Without stopping to question Anya, Buffy went to the cage and grabbed some weapons. Xander helped Anya up and tried to lead her to a chair.

"No, no time to sit down. They said they were regrouping in the back and they were coming in. They hoped that the surprise would give them time to get you and Giles while Buffy was too busy. We all need a weapon. They could be here any minute."

With that last statement Anya took a stake from Buffy and looked at Xander. Buffy threw Giles a stake and a crossbow and Xander took a stake. They all migrated to the center of the room forming an unconscious circle with their backs facing in. No one spoke, they just listened for any sound which might indicate where the vampires were coming from.

"They're in the stacks!" Buffy called out just before 8 vampires jumped the library railing and advanced on them.

Four of the vampires immediately went for Buffy, separating her from the others. As the remaining four vampires circled Xander, Anya and Giles they obviously weren't prepared for their victims to attack. Giles quickly dusted one with the crossbow while Xander got another. One charged Anya, knocking her to the floor. Just as it was about to sink it's fangs into Anya's neck Xander appeared above her and staked it, the dust exploding all over Anya.

By this time Buffy had staked all four of hers which left only one. He quickly left the way he came.

"Well, that could have gone badly," Buffy stated.

"Yes," Giles agreed. "Thank you Anya."

Anya nodded to them as Xander helped her up and she tried to brush off the dust that now coated her body.

"What did they say outside?" Giles questioned. "Did the Mayor send them?"

"Yeah, that's what they said. I was sitting next to my car and heard two of them talking about how the Mayor wanted you and Xander dead to throw Buffy off for the Ascension. They said they had scoped the place out, knew who was here and just needed to regroup and attack. As soon as they got far enough away I ran in to warn you."

"Well," Buffy said. "Thank you very much."

Anya just nodded again, she wasn't sure how to handle this situation. Gratitude was new to her. Anya glanced over at Xander. He hadn't said a word since the attack.

She smiled nervously at him, wondering what he was thinking. Xander, for his part, was a little confused. Anya had a tendency to run hot and cold, but that could be due to her lack of experience in matters of the heart. He wanted, no needed, to talk to her, but he didn't want to do it in front of an audience.

Xander slowly walked up to Anya and gently put his arms behind her and guided her in the direction on Giles' office.

"We'll be right back," he said to Buffy and Giles. "Yell if anything else happens."

Once inside the office with the door closed behind them Xander turned to Anya.

"So," he said softly, averting his eyes from hers. "What brought you back?"

Anya paused for a moment. There was this strange energy in the air. You could almost hear the air crackle between them. They were both very nervous, like thirteen year olds on their first date. Anya decided to take the direct approach to this. She walked right up to Xander and looked directly in his eyes.

"You. You are what brought me back. You are what kept me from leaving. I had been sitting outside beside my car from the time you left till I came back into the library. I couldn't make myself leave. I decided whether I lived or died, I wanted to do it with you."

Xander just stared back into Anya's eyes. As the seconds ticked on Anya began to feel very stupid. She had just put herself on the line and was getting nothing in response. She now knew first hand the rage a scorned woman felt. She turned to go, stepping around Xander to the door. Anya's movement seemed to jolt Xander out of his shock. He had known that Anya had a crush on him, but he hadn't let himself see the extent of her feelings.

Regardless of everything he said, he did enjoy her company. He was definitely attracted to her. She was funny and intelligent. Before she could leave the room he grabbed her by the arm and pulled her into a kiss.

Anya was stunned. One moment she was storming away from Xander, the next she was in his arms kissing him. This was her first kiss and it was amazing. She had never known that such feelings existed. As Xander's arms encircled her waist Anya wrapped her arms around his neck and ran her finger through his hair.

Xander kissed her with a passion he never knew existed. This was different from Cordelia and Willow, they weren't doing it because it was forbidden. Xander and Anya were kissing because they cared about each other, respected each other. It was both dangerous and safe, calm and exciting.

Each knew that this was the most perfect feeling in the world. Whatever happened with the Ascension, they would get through it together. They could do anything together.

THE END

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Mary.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.