Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
3,218
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
8
Hits:
1,017

Close Encounters of a Sunnydale Kind

Summary:

Xander finally meets a nice girl (sort of)

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

Status: WIP (finished up to part 4)

The rest of my stories can be found at
http://members.xoom.com/liliaeth

 

Close Encounters of the Sunnydale-kind

by Lore Krajsman

Fires started up all through the ship. Kai held on to one of the bulkheads as the ship took another hit. All around her circuits were flipping out as bursts of energy flashed through them. She noticed how the De Segra tried to get things back online, but even the technicians' fiercest efforts seemed useless.

About as useless as the alarms that kept yelling, "//Danger//" When she finally reached her post she tried to make the weapon array work, but the thing simply refused. The group leader looked at her, a worried look in his eyes. Kai knew she was the only kassai in the group, the youngest on board.

He turned to her.

//Get to the cryo-units.// Kai wanted to refuse. She had to hold her post but she knew it would be useless as soon as she looked at him. She wasn't a child. How could he treat her like one? But his eyes stood determined and she quickly got up, offering him one last pleading glance to let her stay. He didn't respond.

Kai grudgingly stepped in the machine. Relaxing herself for the onset of the cryo-fluid. She watched as one of the Dendora-healers sealed the hatch. Before long she could feel herself stiffen in the cold and fall to sleep.

Part one

Xander kicked against the wheel. He'd only driven a few miles and already the car had broken down. He tried to look under the hood, like the guys in the movies did, but he didn't see a thing wrong.What did he expect. He'd never known the first thing about cars. He'd always been happy enough if they rode at all.

Hopeless!

He leaned back against the door. Mumbling about his bad luck with women, with schools and now with cars.

Defeated, he sat down, looking at the sky. Just in time to see a falling star. He quickly made a wish to finally meet a nice normal girl for at least once in his life.

****

Kai woke up trembling in the cold night air. The cryo-unit had broken as she crashed. Her body felt sore, her sight was still hazy and she generally felt dizzy. She was careful in getting up as her head pounded at every move. Slowly she got out of the site of the wreck. She investigated the surrounding area, listening carefully for any threat, her eyes ready to pick up anything suspicious. She tried to find the radio set but it was as ruined as the rest of the ship. She hoped the ship had had the time to send a last transmission. If not she'd be lost forever. Force to live her life out on an alien planet. Alone.

This place scared her. It was so dark and cold. It felt like she was back underground or on one of the spaceships. No primary stars to warm people with their light. She suspected the planet must have some form of light. How else could there be life? And what life there was, she could hear things crawling all around her. There were plants in the weirdest forms and colors. All under the sky without protective covering.

It wasn't until she looked up in the sky that she noticed a second thing that was odd.

Before leaving home she'd never realized just how many stars there were. Sure she'd known there were more stars than the three primary stars that surrounded Nada, but she'd never seen them with her own eyes. But here ... All over the sky there was a canvas of lights. Sort of like a blanket covering the planet. It was scary and incredible at the same time. Then she noticed a larger illuminated form, she wasn't sure what it was. It had a weird form, almost circle- like, but not completely so. Parts of the circle were missing. She couldn't help herself from looking and looking again and then taking another look. She couldn't help but be overwhelmed by it. She wondered what it would be like to see this all the time, but hoped she would never have to find out.

She strengthened herself and went onwards, keeping her ears perked for the merest sound, knowing that even little thing could be hostile. It was then that she picked it up, some kind of roaring sound. It didn't last long but it was loud enough to grab her attention. She heard it one more time and listened how it faded into nothingness almost instantaneously. It didn't sound like any kind of animal she'd ever heard of.

For a moment she stood trapped in indecision. She didn't know the place and there was no way to know what dangers awaited her. But if she didn't check it out, how could she ever find out about anything? She decided to go after it.

What she found surprised her. It seemed too small to have made that kind of noise.

The being didn't look like any species she'd ever seen before. Sure the basic form was the same. Two upper- and two lower-appendages, one head, ... but almost everything else was different.

****

Xander was just about ready to give up. He took his coat and keys and got ready to walk Then he stopped. He wasn't sure what it was, but something was wrong. He couldn't say what, not really. It was like something in the back of his eyes. Just out of his scope of view. As if someone (or more likely, something) was watching him. He didn't doubt his instincts for a second and jumped back in the car, trying desperately to get the ignition started. He hadn't survived Graduation to get eaten just as he was about to leave Sunnydale behind him. He cursed as the car refused to take the hint. Hitting the steering wheel, he jumped up, not even bothering to open the door. He just ran off ... in the wrong direction.

He could barely stop himself from running into it. Knowing his luck, it was probably some kind of demon. It was white-scaled covered with spikes from head to toe. Well he couldn't be sure about the last part since the thing was dressed, but it was a fairly accurate guess since there were spikes visible through the fabric of its pants. He didn't stop to think about the fact that the demon was wearing clothing, too scared to do anything but stare.

Its eyes were glowing yellow and stood on both sides of its elongated face. It had weird movable ears, that seemed ready to hear any sound. Especially the ones coming from him. Its hands were clawed and its teeth seemed razor sharp, and it was as if the moonlight made them glitter. It didn't seem as big as the average demon, about his height, and was dressed in some kind of formfitting blue pants and a black vest. It also wore a belt holding some kind of knife in a strange form. Its arms were bare and Xanders eyes were once again pulled to the spikes covering the outside of the arm. He wasn't even sure if he was seeing right. The thing apparently had two elbows. In between those were larger spikes. Even its face was spiked, where the hair was supposed to be, all over its nose. He almost fainted but decided to make a run for it instead, all the time screaming his lungs out.

(2)

Kai stayed in the shadows for a few more moments before showing herself. All of a sudden the creature almost ran into her. It stopped only a few inches away. She stared at it for a short while. Whatever it was, it was about the same height as her. Bipedal. It seemed to have some kind of fur covering its head and a minor variation of the same on its upper appendages. At least what she could see of them since most of it was covered under the creature's clothes. It stood still in front of her and she noticed its wide-open eyes.

They were white with green irises. There was some sort of softness in it all. She could see its hands hanging at its side and noticed a total absence of either weapons or defenses. The creature's face seemed flat with the eyes side by side in the front part of it. But Kai didn't want to be lulled into false security and kept both her ears and eyes ready for the first sign of attack. Then the being in front of her made a high pitched sound and ran.

******

Had she done something wrong? If the creature was intelligent, wasn't it her duty to try and attain contact? Especially since she had to wait a while before the rescue-unit would get to the system. The creature didn't seem to get far. It was still in her line of sight when it stumbled over some kind of plant root, tripped over and fell right on its face. She hurried over, ready to offer assistance if necessary.

******

Xander was beating himself up for his stupidity. Not to mention the pain in his foot. He'd probably sprained it when he fell. He quietly whispered a final prayer. He couldn't imagine how much more he'd been praying since first meeting Buffy. As the demon came up to him he was starting to hope it would end fast. He closed his eyes as the thing kneeled down beside him, expecting it to do whatever demons did to their victims.

But it didn't do anything like that. Instead he could feel its cold hand touch his leg, brush over it soothingly. Its touch sent shivers throughout his entire body and sent his heart thumping in his throat. The pain faded a bit, it was still there but not as bad as before. He looked up at the demon's face and really made eye-contact. Its yellow eyes glowed in the darkness, but there was something in them.

Something that was missing in the eyes of most demons he'd been unfortunate enough to face. Something called a soul. He knew he was right, but it was almost too incredible to believe.

******

Kai carefully checked out the injury. Not that she really knew what to do, it's race was something she'd never encountered before. She carefully touched the leg and noticed that the strain seemed to lessen as she touched certain stressed points. It was hard to believe how easy it was to sense the nerve points, the way they were obvious through the skin. She gently rubbed it, so the blood flow could continue. It seemed to help as the creature relaxed somewhat. It suddenly surprised her, by looking up right in her eyes. She could see the being was still scared, but less so than before. It's heartbeat seemed to lower somewhat. She hoped that wasn't harmful to the species. She tried to talk to it in several languages she knew of, but he didn't seem to understand any of them. It looked at her oddly.

Then it said something. She wasn't sure what. Its eyes narrowed and repeated the word: "Xander". Once again it repeated the word, this time patting on its chest while doing so. "I'm Xander. Who are you?" Suddenly she got it. She knocked on her own chest and stated her name, "//Kai//"

It's upper lips lifted and he once again repeated the gesture. "Xander." Then pointing at her "Kai." It seemed to become agitated at that, suddenly pushing one of it's upper limbs at her, grabbing her hand and shaking it profusely. Kai quickly pulled back, startled by the sudden move.

*****

Seeing the reaction, Xander quickly pulled his hand back. The being, Kai, seemed as spooked by him as he was by it. It made him wonder. Did he look that scary to it? He tried to be soothing, talking as calm and softly as he was able to but he wasn't really sure if it was working. If only Giles were here, he'd know what to do.

He tried to get up, slowly as not to hurt his foot. When the creature saw this, it came closer again and helped him. It was careful, but almost casual in the way that it tried not to accidentally spike him.

Xander went to his car and picked up a pair of Twinkies. He opened one for himself and offered the other one to the creature with him. It didn't seem all too sure what to do with the bar so Xander made a show of eating it.

*****

Kai held on to the food bar the being had given her. She saw how he placed the thing in his mouth and started eating it. Well it wasn't as if she wouldn't have to try out the local food sooner or later. She was careful to free the strange food of its binding and bit into it. She couldn't quite place the taste. It wasn't like the protein bars the Nagai used. Still most cultures considered it impolite to refuse offered food so she was careful to finish the bar.

She wasn't sure what Xander wanted of her next. The being itself didn't seem all to sure either. It went to the metallic object and opened a front component of it. It seemed like some kind of primitive combustion engine. Xander didn't really seem to be pleased by the reaction it got out of the thing. She pointed at it and then to herself. The creature quickly got out of the way and let her handle it. She'd always been interested in simple mechanics.

Within a matter of moments she had it operating. Again the corners of Xander's mouth turned up. She presumed it had something to do with the species method of expressing comfort or positive emotions. It was hard to know since she had absolutely no idea about the local language or customs.

Xander offered her a place in the car. Kai didn't really have anything planned so she agreed. At least she knew this one wasn't hostile

(3)

 

Kai was easily fascinated by the plants surrounding the path. There were so many of them. The machine was noisy and scared of most of the animal-life but still she could see some of them along the path. Then they seemed to arrive in an inhabited part. Stone complexes were placed alongside the path. These beings homes? Xander didn't seem to feel like stopping, but seemed worried as she stood to much in sight.

She guessed it had to do with the race's inexperience with other races. The Nagai had been travelling the stars for centuries and yet they'd never met being quite like these. They seemed primitive to her, but she decided to delay her judgement until she knew more.

She wondered how Xander's race called itself. With their hairy bodies and defenselessness she was inclined to compare them with Rachito's, a big seemingly intelligent Rachito.

*******

Xander was starting to get worried. Kai, whatever he or it was didn't seem to have any idea of discretion. He tried to get him to duck down, to stay out of sight but how to explain the danger they were in. Especially in Sunnydale where demons were all around.

He wondered how he should call it's kind. There was a kind of reptilian form, slick and scaled, well with a lot of spikes. Maybe they were some kind of evolved dinosaur?

At first he wasn't sure where to take his guest.

Kai, as friendly as she seemed would still scare most people. He couldn't go back to his parents place. After the way he'd left, he doubted they would welcome him back. Not that he wanted to go there anyway. The library was out? There was nothing left of the school. And Giles ...No. Who knows what Giles or Buffy would think if they saw Kai. They would probably consider him a demon. Aside of that the former watcher was in London, replacing his precious books.

Angel's old place would be best, but first he needed to see to some food and find out how to talk to Kai. But where?

Finally he decided on going to Willie's. The bartender was used to dealing with demons, maybe he knew Kais race or could at least give some ideas. Let's just hope he wouldn't tell Buffy.

*******

When they finally stopped in front of a big stone dwelling, Kai looked at Xander inquiringly. The big Rachito took a piece of clothing out of his machine and handed it over to her. When she pulled it on, he helped her with a metal piece in the front and with pulling a piece of its fabric over her head. Her eyes opened up wider, pleased with his friendliness.

As she followed Xander in she looked around her. Weird, she thought, I must have been wrong, there are more than one intelligent race on this sphere. Several different kinds of beings were sitting there. Most looked like big Rachito's like Xander did, but others looked strangely enough more like herself. But no, there weren't any Nagai amongst them. All looked up strangely when they noticed them come in.

Xander immediately headed for the construct in front of the reflecting glass.

******

Xander's heart was beating mercilessly as he went up to Willy. This wasn't the first time he'd come here, but still. He hoped Kai was staying close to him. Oh my god there are even more demons and vampires here than the last time, he remarked as he saw some of them sitting there in their Gamefaces. He swallowed noticably and stopped at the bar. "Well well. If it isn't the Slayer's friend." Willie said out loud, he didn't seem to notice the boys non-human companion.

To intent on the part of his customers that looked up at hearing the statement.

"What can I do for you?"

"Information if you don't mind."

"Hey I don't know nothing about nothing."

"Shut up Willie. Meet Kai." Then he pulled his companion up front.

Kai pulled away its hood and Willie looked directly at the strange face the being held.

"You don't happen to know what he is? Do you?"

Willie swallowed heavily at the sight of the demon in front of him. It didn't look like any demon he'd ever met, but considering that there were thousands of demon races that wasn't all that suprising. "How would I know?" he said while backing away from it.

*******

Kai noticed Xanders weariness. He didn't seem to feel himself at home in this place. Beings all around her looked at her weirdly, she opened her eyes widely and kept her hands in sight as they started approaching them.

Xander seemed to back off almost immediately. She wondered why. Especially since several of them looked a lot like Xander did. Her height, but hairy. Maybe it was because they seemed harder, their faces slightly different looking, wrinkled instead of smooth like Xanders. Others seemed to have a different profile as well, with large bumps on the frontside of their bodies.

continued in part 4

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Lore Krajsman.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.