Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
2,227
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
11
Hits:
1,067

A Blast From The Past

Summary:

Starbuck goes on patrol and finds someone from his past...

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

Disclaimer: Don't own them.The song belongs to 'Angel' so don't sue.

A Blast From The Past
by Jade Kirk

 

Prologue

The Present time.

Lt. Starbuck checked his duty roster while he was running towards his viper. "Oh Frack not another survey mission. Where to now? Oh, an uncharted planet. Hmm hmmm..." Humming the tune that was stuck in his head, he bumped into Apollo who was heading towards the Captain's
viper. Starbuck jumped back about 4 metrons. "Wagh!!!" he yelped in suprise.

"In a hurry, Lieutenant?" Apollo inquired. "The planet isn't going anywhere." He looked at Starbuck in surprise. "The tune you were humming... what was it? Where did you hear it?"

"Er, well..." Starbuck muttered. *Oh Frack How can I tell him that this song in my head is one I learned back in the old days on Caprica,* he thought. *Need an excuse to move on.* He saw his viper in front of him. "Ah ha! There's my viper!" He ran towards it, leaving Apollo looking puzzled.

Apollo shook his head. "Weird!"

Starbuck leaped into his viper and put his helmet on. He heard a voice on the unicom counting down the launch. When it was cleared he pressed the turbo button and launched. He looked behind him to see Apollo's viper come out of the lauch tubes. They steered their vipers towards the green/yellowy planet.

Starbuck switched his unicom on Apollo's viper frequency. "Apollo?"

"Yeah?"

"I'm picking up human lifeform readings on the planet. Should I hail them? Or will you?"

"Yes. Do it. It might be a lost civilisation."

Starbuck switched his unicom to broadcast. "This is Lieutenant Starbuck of the Battlestar Galactica. Please respond." There was no reply.

Apollo tried. "This is Captain Apollo of the Battlestar Galactica. Respond." Still no reply. "Maybe the scanners had malfunctioned."

"Maybe... but why would both our scanners malfunction at the same time? There is definately life on that planet."

Five centons later his unicom crackled and a strange male voice said, "Hey, Starbuck mate. We meet again.You alright, mate? You know it's kinda lonely on this planet."

Starbuck asked, "Who are you?" He thought to himself *That voice sounds familiar. Where have I heard that voice before?*

"Don't you know me? I'm your guardian Angel."

"Who is this?" Apollo asked.

"Hey!!!! You must be ol' Captain Apollo. How's it hanging?"

"Hanging?"

Never mind. Bucko mustn't have told you about me. I'm his guardian Angel." The voice said sounding slightly hurt.

"What are you called?" Apollo asked.

"I can't tell you my name but it isn't Noel or Liam of the Gallagher clan. Bucko knows. Don't you Bucko?" The voice said.

Starbuck froze as he remembered where he heard that voice before. *It can't be,* he thought. He asked, "Who are you?"

"My God, Bucko! You've forgotten me," the voice said. "Tell me Bucko, do you remember the song I made you sing?"

 

Part 2

"Uh... no."

"Starbuck, who is that? How does he know you? What is he talking about?" Apollo asked.

"I'm his Guardian Angel. No pun intended." The voice replied. "I made him sing a few songs." The voice hummed a few bars of a song. "Remember this one?"

"Not that song. I don't remember that one."

"What is going on?" Apollo asked. Starbuck didn't answer. "You, Angel. Explain." He demanded to the voice.

"Hey! I don't know Buffy. I wish I did. Hubba! Hubba! Sorry, I went kinda off track then... Well it was long ago..."

 

Umbra, Caprica 20 yahrens ago.

A boy of 11 yahrens old runs to his room. He is short, fair haired and has bright blue eyes. Six older boys are chasing after him. "Starbuck, we're coming to get you," their voices jeered. "Then
when we get you we're going to flush your head down the turboflush."

The oldest boy, whose name was Reese, caught up with him and pinned him to the wall. "Now Starbuck, we all saw you get that extra mushie at dinner. We think you don't deserve it."

The boys grabbed Starbuck and picked him up and dragged him towards the turboflush.

"No! No!"Stabuck pleaded. They entered the turboflush. Starbuck knew what was coming next.

Reese laughed meanly. "Pleading isn't going to get you anywhere." He grabbed Starbuck by the hair and put his head in the turboflush pan. Starbuck spluttered as the water went up his nose, in his mouth and his eyes. He could hear the other boys laughing. He felt himself blacking out when suddenly he was dropped on the floor. He lay there gasping for air when this shadow loomed over him. He looked up, saw the boys had gone, straight into an unfamiliar face. The owner of the face was dark haired with grey eyes and was wearing black trousers with a white vest.

The face leaned forward and said, with a strange accent, "Are you okay? What have they done to you?" Starbuck cringed and shrunk away from him. "Hey, hey hey I won't hurt you. I just saved you from drowning, didn't I? Those bastards."

Starbuck asked quietly, "Who are you?"

"Huh? Oh you mean my name. Never mind that. Just call me Angel... and no, I don't know Buffy."

"What?" Starbuck said weekly. 'Great. I was saved by a insane person.'

"Sorry, Buffy The Vampire Slayer reference, I forgot I'm not on Earth any more." Angel said. "Now I'm going to teach you how to defend yourself and to be confident.."

"I can't. I'm smaller than them and there are a lot of them," Starbuck said quietly. Tears ran down his face.

"Hey stop that." Angel ordered. He fished in his pockets and fished out a hankie and wiped Starbuck's eyes with it. "I was told by a friend of mine that if you know the martial arts it doesn't matter what size you are."

Starbuck looked at Angel with moist eyes. "Really?"

"Really. Now before we do anything. Tell me one thing. What's your name?"

"Starbuck."

"Well... hi Starbuck." Angel reached into his back pocket and pulled out a cassette. "Now onto business. Here is a song that I wrote." He points to Starbuck. "and I'm going to teach you the words."

"Oh I can't sing,"Starbuck said shyly.

"Rubbish. I'm sure you can sing. It's just 'cause you don't have the confidence to do it. Well I'm here to give you confidence. Now where the hell is the cassette player?"

 

Part 3

Angel reached up into the air, and a cassette player suddenly appeared. A self satisfied smile played on his lips, as he turned it on. A song reverbated throughout all of the turboflush and Angel started to sing.

At first Starbuck was flabbergasted. Who was this guy anyway? And why did he seem so bent on helping him? He shrugged though and started to sing.

He covered his mouth and a horrorfied expression stood there. He looked around but nobody was there. So he started to sing again. Hearing him sing Angel's face turned into a huge grin. He slapped Starbuck on the back, and said, "I knew you had it in ya, Mate." Starbuck smiled a little and started sing again...

 

Back to the present.

Starbuck shook the memory away. *Surely he isn't the same Angel?*

Angel replied as if he was reading Starbuck's mind. "The one and only Bucko. By the way, can you get me off this dust heap?"

Angel started humming the same tune that was playing on Starbuck's mind. "Hey Starbuck! When we get back to wherever it is you came from, Can you sing again? For me and old times sake?"

 

Part 4

Starbuck threw his Viper into gear and raced towards the planet. He didn't hear the radio again, until Angel's voice penetrated his thoughts. "You know Bucko I know you have a certain love in your life. This song could also be for them. A sort of congratulations from me to you two."

At first Starbuck was stunned. How did Angel know about he and Apollo?

"I know almost everything about you, Bucko. I am Angel of course. Been keeping tabs on you."

Starbuck sighed and thought. *Of course you have.*

"Now get me off of this dust heap before I melt. It's hotter then blazes here."

He'd almost reached his destination when Apollow got on. "Be careful, Starbuck. I don't want you lost on that planet."

"I'm always careful Apollo. I'll see you in few hours." With that Starbuck landed on the planet, and he hopped out of his Viper in search of Angel. The planet was indeed very hot. Starbuck started sweating. He was hoped Angel was nearby. He saw him sitting uncomfortably on a rock. Angel looked the same. Angel looked up and saw Starbuck aproaching.

 

Part 5

Getting off the rock, Angel approached Starbuck and slapped him on the back. Momentarily knocking the air out of him. "Sorry mate, didn't mean to do that to ya. Are you okay?"

Starbuck nodded but didn't say anything until his lungs were full of oxygen again. "Hi, uh, Angel. Nice to see you again. Nice sunglasses."

"Oh, these old things? I had to put these on when I got here. Too hot to be looking at anything else. And besides I look very cool in 'em." Angel added.

"Right." Starbuck said. Confused by the language he was speaking. It sounded foreign to him still. "Well are we going to stand here and melt together, or are we going back to Galactica?"

"Right. Galactica." Sputtered Starbuck. Usually he wasn't at a lost for words, but meeting up with someone from your past whom you hadn't seen in years, would certainly throw you for a loop. He led the way back to his Viper.

Settling himself down comfortably, Angel started humming the haunting song again. And unconsciously Starbuck hummed along.

About twenty minutes later, Starbuck and Angel landed on the Galactica. Angel climbed out of the viper and said quite loudly. "Whoa! This is the size of Newcastle."

Starbuck nodded, even though he had no idea what Angel was going on about.

Angel turned to Starbuck and said, "Now you are going to sing for me, aren't you?" Angel gave Starbuck a look.

Starbuck gulped, "Okay. What song? As I recall you taught me a lot of songs."

"That song that I think suits your current relationship." Angel said with a grin.

Starbuck grinned back as Angel's grin was so infectious.Angel started humming the tune to the song and Starbuck found himself also humming along.Angel started singing."Me no bubbletious."

Starbuck joined in after an amazed silence,"Me smoke heavy tar."

Angel grinned as he waved his hands and the backing tune sounded out of every intercom in the fleet."Me be groovin' slowly where you are"

"Notify your next of kin"

"'Cause you're never coming back"

"I've been dropping beats since Back in Black"

Angel and Starbuck joined voices in a renedition of the chorus.

"And we'll paint by numbers
'Til something sticks
Don't mind doing it for the kids

(So come on) jump on board
Take a ride (yeah)
(You'll be doin' it all right)
Jump on board feel the high
'Cause the kids are alright"

Angel sung."You've got a reputation"

"Well I guess that can be explored "

"You're dancing with the chairman of the board"

"Take a ride on my twelve cylinder symphony"

"But if you got other plans"

"The purpose of a woman is to love her man"

"And we'll paint by numbers
'Til something sticks
Don't mind doing it for the kids

(So come on) jump on board
Take a ride (yeah)
(Doin' it all right) Jump on board feel the high
'Cause the kids are alright

I'm gonna give it all of my loving
It's gonna take up all of my love
I'm gonna give it all of my loving
It's gonna take up all of my love
I'm gonna give it all of my loving
It's gonna take up all of my love
I'm gonna give it all of my loving
It's gonna take up all of my love"

"Come down from the ceiling"

"I didn't mean to get so high"

"I couldn't do what I wanted to do When my lips were dry You can't just up and leave me"

"I'm a singer in a band"

"Well I like drummers baby"

"You're not my bag"

"Jump on board Take a ride,
yeah (You'll be doin' it all right)
Jump on board feel the high, yeah
Jump on board Take a ride, yeah
(You'll be doin' it all right)
Jump on board feel the high,
yeah"

"I'm an honorary Sean Connery, born '74"

"There's only one of me "

"Single-handedly raising the economy"

"Ain't no chance of the record company dropping me"

"Press be asking do I care for sodomy "

"I don't know, yeah, probably"

"I've been looking for serial monogamy"

"Not some bird that looks like Billy Connolly"

"But for now I'm down for ornithology"

"Grab your binoculars, come follow me."

After they'd finished singing, Angel said, "Well done Mate.You sound really good."

Starbuck asked, slightly out of breath."Thanks.......Who wrote that?"

Angel replied,"Oh a talented, handsome, singer called Robbie Williams."

"Who's that?"

"Me."

 

The End.
(A/N: So what do you think. Should I write a sequel?)

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author jadekirk.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.