Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
574
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
11
Hits:
1,134

Comfort Series

Summary:

I don't hurt Blair much in this story, he's just suffering from a bronchial infection as a result of drowning in the fountain. And of course Jim is there to help him through it.

Work Text:

Comfort
Debbie Tripp

Jim Ellison sat by the bed, holding on to Blair Sandburg's hand. Jim needed to feel Blair and holding his hand was the best way. Jim had been up for hours now. He wasn't sure how many. It didn't really matter. Not when it came to Blair. Jim had administered the dosage of medication a short time ago, having to disturb Blair's rest. But it had been necessary to treat the infection. It made Blair restless and it was hard for him to get back to sleep. That's why Jim sat by Blair's bed.

Jim took his other hand and ran it across Blair's forehead. The fever had inched up a few degrees higher in the last hour. Jim reached behind him and wrung out the washcloth that was in the bowl of water. He took the washcloth and gently ran it over Blair's face and neck. There was a soft sigh from Blair. But Jim knew that Blair wasn't really awake. But Blair was aware that Jim was by his side. Jim leaned over close to Blair's ear and whispered.

"It's okay, Chief. It always gets worse before it gets better. I'm right here to help you."

Blair leaned towards the voice and towards the touch when it came again. Jim ran the washcloth over Blair's face and neck and this time over his chest also. Earlier, Jim had stripped Blair from the waist up because the shirt he had on was just soaked with sweat from the fever. Jim sent up a silent prayer that the fever broke soon. It was such torture to see Blair suffer like this. It had been like this ever since the drowning in the fountain whenever Blair would get a bronchial infection. This was by far one of the worst episodes they had gone through. And they had gone through them together. If Blair was suffering, Jim was right there with him enduring the suffering also. Jim was grateful Blair was still alive to suffer through such things. It didn't make going through such episodes any easier, though.

Jim placed the washcloth back into the bowl of water. He'd have to get some cooler water later. Once Blair drifted deeper into sleep. Jim pulled up the blanket to cover Blair's upper body. Just so he didn't get the chills on top of the fever. Jim kept hold of Blair's hand. Unexpectantly, Blair opened his eyes. He let a tired half-smile come across his face.

"J... ji... im..."

"Hey. What are you doing awake? You should be resting."  Jim tried to sound upset, but was failing miserably.

"th-than... yu..."

"Sh-h-h, buddy. It's okay. Go back to sleep."

But Blair kept his eyes open, continuing to look at Jim. Jim had been there ever since the onslaught of the infection. A real trooper. Blair knew he'd have to make it up to Jim. Even though Jim would never expect a payback for being a friend and staying by his side.

Blair decided, as he closed his eyes and drifted off to sleep, to treat Jim to dinner at an upscale restaurant. Once he was back on his feet. Blair let his smile widen somewhat as he drifted off, giving in to Jim's ministrations and the medication Jim had given him earlier. He squeezed the hand that was holding his. It would all be okay.