Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Character:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Completed:
2006-01-20
Words:
3,518
Chapters:
7/7
Kudos:
17
Hits:
3,387

Passing the buck

Summary:

Let's say that in the emergency episode "Kidding" Johnny and Roy had switched jobs and Cap finds out about it.

Chapter 1: Page 1

Notes:

Pairing: N/A
Archive: Yes
Summary: Let's say that in the emergency episode "Kidding" Johnny and Roy had switched jobs and Cap finds out about it.
Content Warning: Harsh Language.
Copyright: May 2001 By Robin R. Neher
THIS STORY IS WRITTEN FOR PLEASURE AND IS NOT INTENDED TO INFRINGE ON ANY PREEXISTING COPYRIGHTS THAT MAY BE VIOLATED. FEEL FREE TO SHARE WITH FRIENDS, BUT NOT FOR PROFIT.
THIS STORY IS FICTIONAL, A WORK OF THE WRITER'S IMAGINATION. THE CHARACTERS AND INCIDENTS USED IN THIS STORY ARE PURELY FICTIONAL AND ARE NOT BASED ON ANY PERSON AND/OR PERSON'S ACTUAL EXPERIENCES.

Chapter Text

Passing the buck
by Robin R. Neher



John Gage and Roy DeSoto stood at attention as Captain Hank Stanley paced in front of them.

"I thought I could trust you guys." Cap began. "I thought that when I gave an order, it would be obeyed, instead, I find out that Roy conducted the school tour while Johnny put the squad in the shop. That's a real stab in the back!"

"Cap, I just thought that since I had kids, it would be better if I did the tour." Roy explained. "Johnny has no experience with kids."

"Roy, that's all well and good, but the trouble is, I ordered Johnny to do it!" Cap yelled. "I wanted Johnny to get the experience! Thanks alot, guys! Nice to know that you all trust me!"

"Cap, you shouldn't have volunteered me in the first place!" Johnny yelled.

"Okay, fine! I won't volunteer you for anything anymore!" Cap yelled. "You just do whatever the hell you want! Just keep passing the damn buck! Get the hell out of my sight, both of ya!"

Roy and Johnny hung their heads as they left Hank's office. After they left, Mike entered.

"Why did I become a Captain?" Hank asked. "How can I have any authority here after the stunt that DeSoto and Gage pulled?"

"Cap, I think Roy was the better choice for that tour." Mike soothed. "Roy has kids and knows how to deal with them, John doesn't. On the other hand, Johnny probably could've related to the kids better."

"Mike, it's just that I need to know that when we're on a call, that I can trust you guys to carry out my orders." Cap told his Engineer. "How can I trust that now?"

"Cap, I think that this happened because you ordered Johnny to do it instead of asking him if he'd like to do it. You know Johnny doesn't like being made to do things." Mike replied. "Cap, you'll have to rebuild their trust."

"Mike, I don't think that's gonna happen." Hank sighed. "I'm stepping down as Captain, effective immediately."

****

A few minutes later, Cap made the announcement to Roy and the rest.

"Cap, if this is because of what we did, we're sorry!" Johnny sobbed.

"John, I'm doing this cause after what happened, how can I have any authority here?" Cap told the young man. "You guys don't take me seriously. Bye, Guys."

All the guys watched as Hank cleaned out his office and his locker, then left the station.

***

Two days later, Johnny and the rest arrived at the station and encountered their new Captain.

"Hi. I'm Captain Chuck Daniel." The new Cap introduced himself.

The newly promoted Captain was five feet four with honey blonde hair about the same length as Johnny's and also sported a goatee.

"Hi." Roy grinned, "I'm-"

"I know, Roy DeSoto." Cap Daniel smiled. "I'll get you know ya'll in time. I think you all should know I don't believe in a bunch of formalities. I'd prefer if you'd all call me Chuck, not Cap or Sir. Those titles make me feel old."

"Okay, Chuck." Mike agreed. "I'd better go check the engine."

"Mike, relax. I'm sure the engine's fine." Chuck laughed. "I'm sure the squad is too. What do you say we just lighten up?"

"Chuck, Chief McConnikee's coming for an inspection." Roy said. "We have to get ready."

"Roy, don't you think the Chief could better inspect us on the job?" Chuck asked. "I think McConnikee could get a better idea of how we do our jobs that way. I mean, the station's just a building, why does he need to come here? So, I've arranged for the Chief to observe us during a run."


TBC........


end part 1