Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
361
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
5
Hits:
903

The Real Heroes

Summary:

This sequel to the Emergency episode, "Above and beyond...Nearly" follows John and Roy after their dinner with the Chief at the station as they deal with the aftermath of learning the commendations were given to them in error. Roy also reminds Johnny what a hero really is.

Work Text:

The Real Heroes
by Robin R. Neher


After dinner, Johnny Gage wandered out back of the station and sat on the stoop. He sat staring at the sun as it sat in the California sky. A few minutes later, Johnny's paramedic partner, Roy DeSoto joined him outside

"Junior, you okay?" A concerned Roy asked.

"It just stinks, Roy!" Johnny yelled. "One minute, we're heroes, the next, oops it's all a mistake!"

"I know how you feel, Partner, but those commendations belonged to squad 15." Roy soothed, sitting down beside Johnny on the back stoop.

"Roy, one minute, we were special!" Johnny sobbed. "Now, we're just dumb Paramedics again!"

"Johnny, look at me!" Roy commanded. "We are special! We always have been. That hasn't changed. Johnny, a real hero doesn't have a bunch of medals and commendations. The real heroes are us."

"Huh?" Johnny asked, wrinkling his brow.

"Johnny, heroes are everyday people." Roy explained. "Real heroes are the ones that aren't recognized. Answer me this. In twenty years, do you think people will remember those commendations?"

"I don't know." Johnny sniffed.

"Chances are, they won't." Roy answered. "The only people who will remember them are those Paramedics on squad 15. It's more likely that our people in LA will remember us cause we were the pioneers of the Paramedic program."

"I never thought of that." Johnny sniffed.

"Johnny, next time you save a kid, look into his or her eyes. Feel when they hug your neck and say thank you or when any other victims say thank you and smile at you." Roy said.

"That does make me feel good." Johnny smiled.

"Johnny, just think of those moments when one of us gets a medal or commendation. Feel good about the job you've done." Roy advised. "It doesn't take a medal to feel good about the lives you saved."

"Roy?" Johnny asked.

"Yeah?" Roy answered.

"Thanks." Johnny grinned as the tones sounded.

"C'mon, Partner, LA County's calling us again." Roy grinned.

"To the squad cave!" Johnny teased as he and Roy ran to the squad.


THE END