Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Character:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
765
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
12
Hits:
877

Fury

Summary:

Ficlet written for 'fubbery' drabble challenge
Status: Complete
Category: Drama, Angst
Pairings: None
Spoilers: S6, 'Abyss'; S8
Season: Early Season 8
Content Level: C
Content Warnings: Jack's temper, and therefore language!
Summary: Jack is not happy after a mission ends in disaster
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Stargate (II) Productions, Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. This story is for entertainment purposes only and no money exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author. This story may not be posted elsewhere without the consent of the author.
File Size: 4.95KB
Archive: Jackfic

Work Text:

Fury
by Diana
(July 2005)

'Damn, those fubbery Tok'ra!'

'Jack, is that a real word?'

'Of course, it's a word, Daniel! Why? Think I made it up just to amuse everyone?'

'OK, Jack, there's no need to bite off my head!'

'I thought *you* were the damned linguist, Daniel! Don't you know anything? Ultimately, "fubbery" derives from Middle English, "to fob", as in "fob off", and I'd be *so* grateful if you'd do that. Right now!'

'OK, Jack, I'm going!'

Daniel turned to go, and didn't dare to look back. When Jack was in this kind of mood, no-one could reason with him, and he was better left well alone.

'Jacob, why the Hell didn't they tell us they had undercover agents on that ship?'

'Jack, you know we can't reveal everything to you?'

'Why the Hell not, and what's with the "we", changed sides have ya?'

'Jack, Selmac would resent that remark. You know I, we, as in Selmac and I, do not agree with all of the High Council decisions.'

'I know, Jacob, but you could at least have warned us of what they had planned. SG-11 would then still be alive!'

'Jack, the SGC doesn't tell us everything either. We didn't know SG-11 were going to gate onto the ship. Our explosives were already set. There was nothing we could have done to stop them from detonating.'

'So, I see it's "we" again. Just where do your loyalties lie, huh? You just tell Tok'ra bloody High Horse Command, and I mean "bloody", as they *so* have the blood of SG-11 on their hands, that they can't expect any future co-operation from me, or the SGC. They can stick that ultimatum and shove it wherever they like.'

'Sir, the Tok'ra are our allies, not our enemies.'

'Are they now? Can't say it always seems that way to me, Carter.'

'And Sir, remember a Tok'ra saved your life.'

'No, Carter, first and foremost the Tok'ra wanted information from Kanan. I just happened to be the most convenient available fool who could be snaked. What did I get? Betrayal. Left behind. Left to a so-called life that was an horrific, sickening, never-ending living nightmare. Oh, the Tok'ra have been fubbery from the first day we met them, Carter. Where the Hell are they now? Have they come to explain themselves? Will they say they're sorry? Oh No, they'll always take everything they can from us, but never give anything freely in return.'

'Jack, I'll ask someone from the High Council to come and speak to you.'

'Don't bother, Jacob, I don't think I'd allow them to leave here in one piece!

***

Having dismissed everyone from his office, Jack threw his pen across the room, sat down heavily in his chair, and sat staring through the Stargate map into the empty Briefing Room.

It had only been five hours since he'd sent SG-11 on the reconnaissance and intelligence-gathering mission.

Five hours since Colonel Laura Baum had smiled at his lame joke about the giraffe.

Five hours since Lieutenant Jim Johnson had saluted so smartly, and been so excited about his first opportunity to board a mother ship.

Five hours since scientist Brad Jenkins had 'done a Carter' and tried to explain how the SGC would benefit if they could find out how the new hyper-drive fitted to this ship worked.

Five hours since Sergeant Tim Pearson, who had only been with the SGC for a month, asked whether the intel was good, and whether the Tok'ra contacts could be trusted.

They are our allies, of course they can be trusted, I said.

A lie.

I lied.

I had to lie.

Couldn't let a new recruit be corrupted by my personal distrust of the Tok'ra.

Couldn't undermine the confidence of the team. If they didn't feel secure, errors in command decisions might be made out in the field.

Damn stupid decision, Jack.

Who am I kidding?

Why didn't I tell them just what I thought?

They would have been more wary.

They might have realised the Tok'ra had a 'hidden agenda' for this mission.

They might have made better decisions.

They might still be alive.

Five hours.

Four lives.

One General who has to write to their families.

end