Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
633
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
9
Hits:
1,163

Drabble: Ground Zero

Summary:

small scene based on ep "Ground Zero"

Work Text:

Danny hated hospitals. Everything from the smell, the bad coffee, and to the hard plastic chairs annoyed him. Plus, his presence there always meant that someone he cared about was hurt. "Damn it," he muttered again.

Joey stood next to Danny, with his hands hammed in his pockets. He knew exactly how Danny felt and was just happy that Mike's injuries didn't appear to be serious. He looked from Danny to David and Nate sitting across form them and Walter standing on Nate's other side. "How did Taglia escape from protective custody?"

Walter grunted. "Those marines fell asleep on the job."

Nate shook his head. "What I don't understand is why Taglia helped Luca again. Taglia was so damn mad that Luca raped his girlfriend, I thought he really loved her. He wanted to cut a deal with us just to get revenge on Luca."

David took off his glasses and pinched the bridge of his nose. "I think the prospect of a second trial got to him."

Danny rubbed the back of his neck. "And where did he take Luca? Luca was shot at least twice but there's been no sign of them at any of the area hospitals."

"Maybe we'll get lucky and Luca'll die," Nate suggested.

David slipped his glasses back on. "I don't think we'll get that lucky."

A middle-aged, balding doctor in a white coat approached them. "Gentlemen, I'm Dr. Bennett. You're here with Lieutenant Torello."

"Yeah, we are," Danny answered first.

David and Nate stood. "How is he?" the former asked.

"He'll be fine." Bennett put his hands up to stall any more questions. "We removed the bullet in his leg without any difficultly." There was a collective sigh of relief and he continued, "He's resting now and I suggest the rest of you go home and do the same. You can see him tomorrow."

Danny nodded. "The doc's right. It's late. We should be getting out of here."

Bennett gave a small smile and turned away. "Good night, gentlemen."

The group quietly made their way outside to the parking lot. David, Nate, and Walter piled into one car and Danny and Joey into the other. Danny waved to Nate, who was driving. Nate nodded and pulled away.

Danny put the key in the ignition but didn't start the engine. He touched Joey's shoulder. "You all right?"

Joey sighed. "Yeah, it's just that..."

"What?"

"We've been so close to nailing Luca but he always manages to get out of it." Joey looked at Danny plaintively. "What do we have to do to finally put him away? How many more of us have to get shot?"

Danny's hand slid up to cup the back of Joey's neck. He pulled Joey closer and rested his forehead against Joey's. "You heard the doc. Mike's gonna be fine."

"I know. But you took one in the shoulder right after we got to Vegas. And now, Mike's taken one in the leg. Next time, we may not get so lucky. Remember what happened to Jack Claymore."

Danny shared Joey's anger and fear, but that wasn't ever going to keep him from doing his job. "Claymore knew the risks. We all do."

Joey brought his arms up around Danny. "I hate Ray Luca, Danny. I've never hated anyone before."

Danny gave Joey a soft kiss. "It's okay, Joey."

"It doesn't feel okay." Joey buried his face in Danny's neck.

Danny knew there was nothing he could say to make Joey feel better. He kissed the side of Joey's head. He simply held on until Joey was ready to let go.