Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
729
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
6
Hits:
1,450

One cute thing

Summary:

for Peja's "he has the cutest little" challenge

Work Text:

Title: One cute thing
Author: Angelgirl
Email: Angelgirl_browning@yahoo.com
Permission to archive: WWOMB, otherwise just let me know where, please
Fandom(s): Dead Zone
Pairing/Characters: Johnny/Bruce
Warnings: Some slashy suggestion only

One cute thing
By Angelgirl

 

Johnny was distracted from Bruce and Roscoe's conversation by what he would call giggling, but Sara and Dana would call 'laughing softly'. The two still weren't what anyone would consider best friends, but since the 'bonding' during Johnny's kidnapping they had seemed to find some kind of common ground. When Johnny mentioned it, though, both women just gave him the same secretive smile. It was a little unsettling and Johnny didn't mention it again. He turned slightly from his position leaning on the backyard fence and looked around the backyard to try and spot whatever was amusing the two.

It was a gorgeous Saturday afternoon and Walt had decided to grill out. Crime in Cleaves Mill was in a lull and the weather had been continuously nice for a solid week. Everything seemed to be lazing away the summer at it's own pace, so Sara had decided if Walt was willing, it would be a perfect opportunity for everyone to get together. Johnny had received an invitation by phone, then in person, then reminded by Walt who had been ordered by Sara to follow-up, then Bruce had been tagged to go to the house and bring him by, just in case. And he'd been planning to go anyway!

Smiling at the thought, Johnny took a sip of his beer and nodded again to whatever story Bruce was regaling Roscoe with. The three of them had drifted over to the fence on the right side of the backyard, out of the way of the main flow of traffic from grill to tables. Walt was closer to the back, presiding over his grilling domain with satisfaction. Two picnic tables were set up closer to the house. Other friends and neighbors were scattered around the tables and the backyard in small groups, chatting, eating and generally just relaxing together. J.J. was leading a yelping, laughing crew of hyperactive kids in a game Johnny didn't recognize; involving a blow-up beach ball and lots of running and jumping.

Everyone was having a great time, just unwinding in good company. Even Johnny felt lighter than he had in a while. No impending storms of any kind, no pressure to change anything; just a sunny, comfortable afternoon. The soft snickers came again, accompanied by his own name, and drawing Johnny's attention back to the 'girls corner' behind him. Bruce and Roscoe were involved in an in-depth discussion of the new engine of a car Johnny'd never heard of, so Johnny risked tilting his hearing to the voices drifting his way.

"...Johnny was...and when he..." "...and he has the cutest little..." "...and then..." More laughter followed. Then a call from Walt drew Sara away and Dana moved to join the conversation at the picnic tables. Johnny frowned, briefly considering the ethics of using visions to eavesdrop after the fact. Probably not a good idea. 'Those who listen at doors' and all that.

A hand on his shoulder startled him. He turned back to laughing brown eyes. "Man, you were a thousand miles away." Bruce's grin drew an answering smile from Johnny. The psychic noticed Roscoe had joined Walt by the grill, leaving himself and Bruce alone by the fence. "You have a vision or something, John? Where were you?"

With an embarrassed shrug Johnny ran through the partial conversation he'd overheard. Bruce laughed again and Johnny tried to ignore the heat rising under his pale skin. "So", Johnny started, more to interrupt Bruce than anything else. "What do you think they were talking about?"

Bruce drank from the beer in his hand and gave Johnny a smile that was way more heat than amusement. "I think I need another beer. Wanna come with?" Johnny swallowed hard, but followed Bruce's lead into the kitchen. And into the upstairs bathroom.

 

Twenty minutes later-
"Well, Johnny. I'll admit it's cute, but it's not that little."

End