Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
959
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
9
Hits:
1,211

Blowin' in the Wind

Summary:

Status: Complete
Date: 13 July 2005
Category: Not sure, but this is what it isn't. It's not Adventure, PWP or AU!
Spoilers: None
Season: None
Sequel: None
Pairing: Jack and Daniel
Rating: FRT-13
Content warnings: None
Summary: Daniel hits forty, and thinking about the people he's known and lost, he knows there's someone he wants to keep in his heart forever.
Archive: Here, there, anywhere but please ask first, thank you.
Posted to A52, The Cartouche and the Alpha Gate.
Disclaimer: SG-1 is not mine (though I wish otherwise) and neither are any of the other Stargate SG-1 characters. I haven't made any money doing this, and I haven't got any of my own, so don't bother suing. The characters have just come out to play for a while and when they've had enough I promise to take them home, and give them tea. After that they go back whence they came until next time.
Author's Notes: This is my response to the FDAS `Daniel is forty' challenge. Thanks to Imagine for the once over.

Work Text:

Blowin' in the Wind
by Gateroller

Daniel dipped his head and smiled. Today was his fortieth birthday and his friends had dropped by to help him celebrate. His office had become very crowed all of a sudden, with his favourite people vying for a space. General Hammond was there, having dropped in from Washington on his way to see his grandchildren. Sam was there, along with Teal'c, and even Ry'ac and his wife. Daniel was pleased to see Brat'ac too. Smiling to himself, he thought Sergeant Siler should be on duty with a fire extinguisher. When all those candles got lit on his birthday cake, it could turn into a fire hazard.

God, he was forty years old. The big four-oh. It didn't seem all that long ago he was a passionate geek immersing himself in the academic studies that he loved so much. Then somehow along the line, an older woman had sought him out and changed his life forever. Before he knew it, he had been sucked in by the machinations of the military. Was it really over ten years ago that he'd met Sha're? He'd nearly forgotten he was ever married to her, and that for just a year he'd lived with her on Abydos, and now even the planet was gone. He knew he could get really depressed if he thought too much about it, which he usually did.

As his guests helped themselves to sandwiches, dainty delicacies and other party food, Daniel looked around him. There were so many people he would have liked to be here today. There was Sha're of course, Skaara and Kasuf. He knew at least two out of the three of them weren't exactly dead, but for all intents and purposes they might as well be. He could understand how Jack must have felt when he'd ascended.

There were other people who were no longer around, like Martouf, Eliot and Nareem. As Daniel started to think about all the people he had known who had been sacrificed in the war with the Goa'uld, it was like everything slowed down, and between all of those who were in attendance, those who were lost appeared to him as well. Standing on the edge of the party, he saw them, all those other people who had once been close to him, or with whom he'd had significant contact, and they were looking back at him.

Sha're smiled, and spoke his name, softly. Others like Kawalsky grinned or winked or even waved at him. They were speaking to him in a whole variety of different forms, and they were wishing him a happy birthday. Blinking he glanced at Sam and Teal'c, to check if they were seeing the same thing. Judging by the way Sam was tucking into her blue jell-o and Teal'c was ploughing through a mountain of sandwiches and fruit, he guessed not.

No, the visitors were just for him, and it made him feel weird. Why would so many ghosts from his past want to be there in his present? He ached to see them all, disconnected but there just the same. He suddenly felt ashamed that he was alive and they weren't. It was his fault.

"Don't blame yourself, Daniel," Sha're whispered. "No, you did nothing wrong," chimed Kawalsky. "You cared," Skaara said earnestly. "Your life has always been important, good son," Kasuf added.

Daniel folded his arms around himself and chewed his lower lip. He'd had a similar conversation with Oma, and with her help, had come to realise his own worth. It was good to have this reminder, though he still regretted not being able to help those whom he had lost.

He could see how packed his life had been, how exciting and adventurous he'd been, particularly over the last ten years. He would never have believed in a million years that so much could have happened to one person who had only just reached the age of forty.

Relaxing, he smiled at the ethereal figures around him, and yet still his heart ached. There was one person who was not in the room, and it was his presence that Daniel missed the most. He was the first person Daniel called for when he was in trouble, it was his name that ghosted over Daniel's lips on lonely nights; he was the one who'd kept him going when all seemed lost.

Gradually, Sha're, Skaara and the rest began to dissolve in his vision. "Don't go," he said plaintively. "Not yet."

"Whaddya mean, Daniel? I've only just got here!"

"Jack! Thank goodness," Daniel breathed.

"Who were you talking to?"

"Everyone I ever knew," the archaeologist replied enigmatically.

"Huh," Jack stated, slightly puzzled.

For a while, both men stood side-by-side saying nothing. Then it was time for Daniel to blow out his birthday candles and make a wish. Everyone applauded loudly and enthusiastically at his efforts as the flames were extinguished.

When the slices of cake were being handed out, Daniel stood by and watched.

"What did you wish for?" Jack hissed.

"The usual," Daniel replied.

"Great, see you at my place in an hour. I've got a special gift for you."

"You have?"

"Yeah, but you'll have to get on your hands and knees and beg for it," Jack said, his voice low and dangerous

"Ooooh, great! I love Bondage nights!"

The End

E-mail: Constructive feedback and criticism only please, flames will be laughed at. gateroller@hotmail.com or my site:
http://www.geocities.com/gateroller_sg1/home.html