Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
1,272
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
7
Hits:
938

If I was the one

Summary:

Amanda injured.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

If I Was the One
By Rachel Crawford

 

AJ paced back and forth of the hospital waiting room, anxiously waiting to hear news Amanda's condition. He wasn't sure what to think. Amanda was his best friend and he wasn't there to protect her from her boyfriend Ted, who was a raging alcoholic. AJ felt so guilty on what had happened. He was out with his friends at a club when he got the call from Amanda's roommate that she had been taken to the hospital because Ted had gotten into a drunken rage and beat her badly. She was taken into the hospital in an ambulance, unconscious and bleeding heavily. He couldn't believe that something this had happened. There was nothing more frightening to him than losing one of his closest friends.

He sighed loudly as he sat back down in his seat. His hands shook as he looked at his watch. It was nearly 4 AM and no one had informed him of any news in over two hours. He hated waiting...it was killing him inside. He wasn't looking for any information in particular. It didn't matter if it was a small prediction on her condition, anything was better than waiting and worrying the way he was at that moment. He closed his eyes and placed his face in his hands and tried to hold back the tears that were beginning to well up in his eyes. AJ was a complete wreck. There had to be something that could be done about this situation. All he could do was pray that someone would come soon and tell him something.

Everyone else that had been waiting to hear something had already left and gone home for the night. AJ just couldn't bring himself to leave. He wanted to be the first one informed of Amanda's condition. He looked at his watch again...only 4:05 AM...the time was moving much too slow. AJ wasn't sure how much longer he could deal with this tension. After much hesitation, he decided to step out for a smoke.

AJ walked out to the smoking section outside the hospital. The air was cold and slightly breezy. He could almost see his breath as he reached in his jean pocket for his lighter and cigarette. He had to concentrate hard to keep his lighter steady as he lit up his cigarette. He sighed deeply as he drew in the first drag and slowly blew it out. AJ decided to walk around a little, steadily taking drags and flicking off the excess ashes. He found a vacant bench and sat down as he continued to smoke. The thought of missing the doctor kept running across his mind, but he knew if he didn't take a break away from the waiting room he would drive himself crazy. He leaned back and relaxed on the bench as he flashbacked to the conversation he had with Amanda earlier that day.

"Are you sure you're going to be okay?" AJ said as he hugged Amanda.

"I'm positive. You go and have fun tonight. I'm not worried about Ted. I can handle him."

"Amanda, you know how he can be when he gets pissed."

"Yeah, but it'll blow over. We had a little fight. We've had a million of them. You know that."

"Yeah, but you know I worry about you. We both know how mean he is when he gets drunk. I'm scared he'll do something terrible to you."

Amanda laughed softly and cupped her hand under AJ's chin. "You worry too much."

"I can't help it. You mean a lot to me. You and I have been friends forever. I can't help it if I worry. I just want you to be safe."

"Don't worry about it, AJ. Ted will probably come home drunk and pass out on the couch before anything can happen. That's always what happens."

"Yeah, except for last New Year's Eve."

Amanda rolled her eyes. "AJ, that was a year ago, and it wasn't even that serious."

"He hit you," AJ said sternly.

"Yes, he did, but it was one slap on the face. It was over before he could get really mad anyway."

"What about the time he tried to choke you."

"He never tried to choke me," Amanda said flatly.

"That's not what Karen said."

"Karen tends to exaggerate. You weren't here, so you don't know what really happened, but he didn't try to choke me."

AJ sighed and shook his head. "You're so fucking stubborn."

Amanda opened the door and lightly pushed AJ out the door. "Alex, I'll be fine. Go have fun tonight and I'll call you tomorrow."

"All right," AJ said, surrendering to her wishes. "But call me if you need anything."

"AJ--"

"I'm serious. I don't care what time it is, just call me, okay?"

"Okay," Amanda said with a smile. "I will do that."

"Okay, good night," AJ said then left.

AJ came back to his senses and looked around, almost startled that he was still outside the hospital. He looked his watch again. It was 4:55, he had been outside longer than he had intended. AJ quickly dropped the cigarette and stepped on it to make sure it was put out. He walked back to the waiting room as fast as he could. The room looked the same as it did when he left. He was the only one in the room and the TV was turned down low to the Weather Channel. Hospital employees quickly moved in and out, bouncing from room to room. He nearly lost his cool...the waiting was going to drive him insane. AJ was about to go to the main desk and demand for information on Amanda's condition, but he was stopped by the doctor.

"Mr. Mclean, I'm sorry we kept you waiting so long. It's been a busy night."

"I understand," AJ replied, halfway lying. "How's Amanda?"

"It looks as though she's going to be fine."

AJ sighed of relief. "Really?"

Yes, it took a little while to stop the bleeding, but she's now conscious and stable. We're going to keep her for a few days, just to be sure everything is going okay."

"That's a relief," he said quietly. "Is it possible for me to see her?"

"I'm sorry, visiting hours are over."

Tears were forming in his eyes. "Please, just for a minute. I promise I won't be long."

The doctor thought long and hard. "All right, but make it quick."

"I will," AJ said softly.

He followed the doctor to Amanda's room and slowly walked in. He stepped over to Amanda's bed and couldn't believe what he was looking at. She didn't even look like the same person. Her face was bruised up and swollen, there were bruises up and down her arms, and the side of her forehead was bandaged up with a visible blood spot in the middle. Tears fell down his cheek and looked down at her. He softly touched her cheek and traced her lips with his thumb.

"I'm sorry I wasn't there," he whispered, knowing she probably couldn't hear him. Amanda's right index finger lifted up and brushed across his hand. "Amanda?" he said with a quivering voice.

Amanda opened her eyes slightly. "Alex?" she said very softly.

AJ smiled as the tears continued to roll down his cheek. "You're going to be okay, Mands. Just rest." Amanda didn't say a word, she just closed her eyes and laid limp on the bed. AJ bent down and kissed her forehead. "Good night," he whispered then left the room.

 

END PART 1

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Rachael Crawford.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.