Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Character:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
1,254
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
15
Hits:
1,316

Long Night

Summary:

More Alfred/Lucius

Work Text:

Alfred had no desire to watch the home he'd lived in for so long burn to the ground. The blaze was going strong and he knew there would be no stopping it. The fire department arrived in good time but the damage was too far gone and the most they could do was keep it from spreading from the house to the surrounding structures.

Bruce had already slipped into his Batman persona and went off to stop Ra's Al Ghul from destroying Gotham with that neurotoxin. Alfred went to Wayne Industries to see if he could help Lucius with the anti-toxin. He was no sooner in Lucius's office in the bowels of the massive building when Lucius hurried up to him.

Lucius saw Alfred's disheveled state and could smell the smoke lingering on Alfred's clothes. He didn't bother with his usual restraint in public and wrapped Alfred in a tight hug. "I saw the fire on the news. Are you all right?"

Alfred leaned against Lucius, grateful for the support. "Fine."

Lucius rubbed Alfred's back. "What happened?"

"I'm not sure. One moment, I was seeing the guests out. The next, the dining room was on fire and Bruce was on the floor, under a wooden beam."

"Is he okay?" Lucius asked quickly.

Alfred sighed. "He's all right. I hope he stays that way."

Lucius nuzzled the side of Alfred's head. "I won't ask where he is. I'm probably better off not knowing. Let's hope he succeeds in whatever he's doing." He led Alfred to the chair by his desk. He turned down the radio sitting on desktop. "Sit down."

Alfred did as he was told and kept a hold of Lucius's hand. "I couldn't stay there and watch the old place burn."

Lucius perched on the edge of the desk near Alfred. He grinned and squeezed Alfred's fingers. "It's a shame. We had a lot of fun in that house," he said lightly in an effort to break some of the tension.

Alfred couldn't help but smile back. "That we did, Luv."

"Remember that summer when we did it in every room of the house?"

Alfred laughed. "How could I ever forget? It took me years to convince Bruce that there were no monsters living in his closet."

Lucius grinned unrepentantly. "He was supposed to be away at summer camp. Was it our fault that he got sick or that his father decided to pick him up without telling you?" He smirked. "Of course, it didn't help that you tend to get vocal when you're excited."

Alfred's cheeks flushed an appealing shade of red. "We were lucky we got out of there without being caught." He paused and cleared his throat. "And I seem to recall howls of delight coming from you from time to time."

Lucius felt warmth flood his face but at least his skin hid the effect. "Guilty as charged."

Alfred touched Lucius's knee with his free hand. "You were the one who almost got us caught in the dining room."

Before Lucius could reply, news came over the radio, mentioning water pipes bursting and the water escaping as steam. The much needed moment of levity was over. He turned the radio up to hear the rest of the report. "That would release the poison into the atmosphere."

"How are you coming with the anti-toxin?"

Lucius grunted. "It's slow going because the chemicals take time to synthesize."

"Is there anything I can do to help?"

"Yes. I could use another set of hands in the lab. We're probably going to need as much anti-toxin as we can make." Lucius stood. "Are you ready to get to work?"

Alfred got to his feet. "Just tell me what I have to do."

Alfred and Lucius worked steadily for the next few hours. The radio reported riots in the areas where the water pipes burst. They heard the explosions when Sergeant Gordon used the bat mobile to destroy the train's lines and when the train crashed.

Through it all, they kept on until a group of police scientists sent by Gordon came to take over. While Lucius was explaining the process to the newcomers, Alfred found a seat. He was exhausted and could tell from Lucius's posture that Lucius was as well.

Lucius came to stand next to Alfred and held out his hand. "Come on. You're coming home with me tonight."

Alfred took the offered hand and climbed to his feet. "You'll get no argument from me."

The scene outside was still chaotic. The remains of the train and rail littered the ground. Smoke from numerous fires across the river cast a pall over the entire city. Unfortunately, Lucius's vehicle was one of the casualties of the fight.

At least Alfred's car survived intact. An officer arranged for it to get through but the trip to Lucius's house took three times as long as usual. Alfred parked in the driveway and the two trudged to the front door.

Lucius let them in and locked up behind them. They immediately started for the bedroom. Both knew the house so well and had no need to turn on the lights.

Alfred was the first one in the bedroom. He went to the stand and turned on the small lamp. "I need to borrow your shower, Luv. There's no way I can sleep like this."

Lucius nodded. "Go ahead. I'll join you in a few minutes."

Alfred left his jacket on the bed. "All right."

Lucius watched Alfred disappear into the bathroom. He went over to his closet, kicked his shoes off, and put them inside. Suddenly, he heard Alfred's cell phone ringing.

Lucius sat on the edge of the bed and took the phone from Alfred's jacket pocket. The caller ID showed that Bruce was calling. He decided to answer so Bruce wouldn't worry. "Good evening, Mr. Wayne."

"Lucius?" Bruce asked in surprise.

"Yes."

"Where's Alfred? Is he all right?"

"He's fine. He's staying with me tonight," Lucius said casually.

"Oh."

Bruce sounded so bewildered and Lucius bit his lip to keep from laughing. "What about you? Are you all right?"

"A little worse for wear, but I'm good."

Lucius nodded to himself. "I'm glad to hear it. I'll tell Alfred. We were both worried about you."

"Okay. Tell Alfred I'll see him tomorrow."

"Will do. Goodnight, Mr. Wayne," Lucius said politely but firmly.

"Good night."

Lucius laughed quietly, flipped the phone closed, and went to join Alfred in the shower. He couldn't wait to see the look on Alfred's face when he told him about his conversation with Bruce. They would have to tell Bruce about their relationship now and somehow he didn't think Bruce would mind.