Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
535
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
13
Hits:
999

A Total Lack of a Look

Summary:

Fandom: Due South
Pairing: Fraser/Ray V
Rating: 2 uses of a swear word [I'll let you guess which one.]
Summary: Ray misunderstands.
Dis: Not mine. Lied.
Author's Notes: For the 15minuteficlets challenge on lj. And for zen_of_punk, who writes a great little ficlet herself.

Work Text:

A Total Lack of a Look
by Perpetual Motion

He had that lack of a look in his eyes again. It was the one he got when things got tough, or something went wrong, or when something so *city* happened in the city that his non-existent town mind couldn't deal with it. He'd answer questions and provide a little conversation, but his words were as vacant as his eyes, and Ray hated him when he was like that.

"Benny?"

"Yes, Ray?" So painfully polite and proper. Like he was when he first fell into Chicago on the trail of the killers of his father. He only sounded like that around Ray when something was off. When his eyes were off. When the light behind his eyes was off.

"What's up?"

"Nothing Ray. I'm merely thinking."

"Sure." Ray tightened his grip on the steering wheel and pulled into a parking space with extreme care. He killed the engine and turned to face Benny. "I'm calling bullshit."

"There's no need for such language, Ray."

"Yeah, Benny, there is. You're sitting right there like a dead man in a funny uniform, and I want to know what's wrong,"

"Nothing's wrong, Ray."

"And I'm calling bullshit again, Benny. Something's up with you. I want to know what it is."

"Nothing is 'up', Ray." Benny held up a hand to keep Ray from responding. "I am merely considering my circumstances."

"Yeah?"

"Yes."

Ray tried to wait quietly for Benny to elaborate. He lasted all of thirteen seconds. "*And*?"

"And what, Ray?"

"You are the-" Ray cut himself off. Getting frustrated wasn't going to solve anything. He spoke through clenched teeth to keep from going off the handle. "And what have you discovered while considering your circumstances?"

"I have discovered," Benny looked down at his lap, at his hat, and fingered the brim. "I have discovered," he said again, "that I'm in love with you."

And Ray wasn't sure what to do about that, because Vacant-Benny didn't say things like that. Vacant-Benny would speak quietly of home, of snow that stayed white, and of the way he could smell a cook fire from half a mile away when he was out in the wilderness with Dief. Vacant-Benny never admitted feelings. At least, he never had.

"Ray?"

"Yeah, Benny?"

"Could I possibly bother you for a response?"

"Response?" Ray blinked.

"To my announcement. I understand if you're thrown, Ray. I was aware that the news might surprise you. It was the reason I've been so quiet. I couldn't decide if the surprise would be good or bad. I know that you and I have spent time together, and enjoyed one another's company, and even 'necked' as you called it, but I wasn't sure if my feelings for you were purely phy-" Benny was cut off when Ray kissed him. When Ray pulled away, Benny nodded. "I see."

Ray grinned and watched the way Benny's eyes lit up, the way the vacancy disappeared with one soft, half-smile. "Yeah, me too."

end