Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Character:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
6,679
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
13
Hits:
1,524

Hidden Dangers

Summary:

Disclaimer: Characters don't belong to me. They belong to whoever has rights to V. No copyright infringement intended.
Distribution: The archive; otherwise please ask.
Timeline: This story takes place a year after the end of the series. Mike and Julie live in Los Angeles with Shawn; Kyle and Elizabeth are living in the mountains; and Robin is living in Chicago and working for Ham and Chris.
Background: The Resistance has disbanded and humans are living in peace with the visitors. However, Kyle has begun noticing some changes in his girlfriend, Elizabeth. She isn't acting like the woman he fell in love with. The story opens at their home in the mountains.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

Hidden Dangers
By Dayna

"I don't have time to go into this again Elizabeth."

"You never do. It obviously doesn't matter to you that this is the five year anniversary of my father's murder."

"Quit calling it murder. You know it wasn't like that."

"He was locked in a tube and she poisoned him. I call that murder. He never did anything but love her."

"God, Elizabeth. You know that's not true. He was one of Diana's assassins. He never loved Robin, she was an experiment, you were an experiment. Your mother did what she had to do to protect you."

Elizabeth turned away from him.

"Look, I've got to go and make these deliveries. I'll see you later."

Elizabeth watched Kyle leave then went to the phone.

"Do it."

After placing the call, Elizabeth went back to the window.

"Goodbye Kyle."

*

Several hours later Kyle was driving back home when he was run off the road. Luckily he was able to get out of the pickup before it exploded.

Hiding in the trees, he was able to see the men from the other truck. Dressed in jeans and t-shirts they looked like anyone else, but the sunglasses were a dead giveaway.....Visitors. What the hell is going on?

I've got to get to Elizabeth.

Kyle reached the house and noticed the vehicles. Sneaking in through the bedroom window, he approached the partially opened door and listened to the conversation going on in the living room. As he listened, he tried to ignore the things he was hearing.

"Are you sure he's dead?"

The voice belonged to Diana, the one person he'd ever really hated.

"Yes, the car exploded on impact."

"Very good. You're excused."

Turning to Elizabeth, she smiled. Elizabeth returned the smile.

"Well, my dear, that's one down. Any regrets?"

"None. Now that he's out of the way, we can get on with the more important issues."

"Be patient. First we destroy Donavan and his little family then we take care of your 'family issues'. Now, are you going to have a problem setting up Mike and Julie?"

"No, but we should wait a couple days. Knowing them, once they learn about Kyle, they'll invite me to stay with them and that'll be perfect timing."

"Excellent. First stop L.A. Then we'll get to Chicago."

"The time for revenge is almost here."

Diana and Elizabeth drifted towards the kitchen and Kyle exited through the window and headed into the trees. I can't believe this! What's happened to Elizabeth? She wanted me dead and now is planning to kill her friends. Kyle reached the highway and hitched a ride with a trucker. He had to warn Mike and Julie.

Kyle was trying to make sense of something he heard Elizabeth say. Time for revenge....then Chicago...Oh, my God, she's after Robin too. She's going to kill her own mother!

*

Kyle arrived at the Donavan house and could hear splashing in the backyard. Going around the house, he saw Mike and Julie froliking in the pool. They looked up in surprise when they heard Kyle.

"Kyle! What happened to you?"

"Mike, we got trouble."

"Come inside. You look like you could use a drink."

After getting into the house, Kyle related to them everything that had happened..... Elizabeth's behavior, the attempt on his life, and the conversation he overheard.

"I guess we never considered that there could be other changes. We always assumed it would just be the physical. Obviously we were greatly mistaken. There were hidden dangers that are just now developing."

"What are we going to do?"

"You said they think you're dead, right?"

"Yeah, Elizabeth and Diana were both very pleased about that."

Mike and Julie exchanged a glance. They knew this had to be difficult for him. To discover that the woman you love is trying to kill you can really destroy a man.

"That gives us the advantage. First things first, we call Ham so he can keep an eye on Robin. Then we pack up and head to Chicago. We need to regroup and Ham has supplies stored up for just such occasions."

Mike called Ham and told him the situation. Ham's response could be heard on the other side of the room.

"Okay, we're all set. He's going to talk to Robin and will be expecting us. Julie, why don't you get some stuff packed and I'm going to go get Shawn. Kyle, stay here. We'll leave when I get back."

Once he was alone, Kyle stood looking out the window. How had everything gotten so screwed up again? One thing he knew for sure was that the woman he loved was gone. He had seen Elizabeth's eyes and they were a mirror image of Diana's......cold and unfeeling. And he was now faced with a new reality. He would have to fight against Elizabeth in order to save Robin.

Because he knew in his heart that 'his' Elizabeth would want him to protect the mother she loved. I couldn't save you from the alien inside you but I will do my best to make sure your mother is kept safe. Goodbye, my love.

Mike arrived with Shawn and they immediately left for Chicago. They had all thought that the war was over and they could finally live in peace. But now someone close to them had betrayed them by joining with an old enemy and the fight for survival began again.

Chicago.....the basement under Ham and Chris' security business

"Well, Donovan and the others should be here shortly."

"Then what?"

"Then we make plans."

Both men looked over at the woman standing silently against the wall. She hadn't said a word since Ham had told her about Donovan's call. "Robin?"

The woman didn't respond. She had withdrawn into her own little world.

"Is she going to be alright?"

"I hope so Chris. But it's gotta be tough knowing that your daughter wants you dead. Maybe once the others get here, she'll come around."

A noise upstairs alerts them to new arrivals. Looking in a video cam, Chris checked to see who had arrived. "They're here."

Ham and Chris headed upstairs, leaving Robin alone.

*

"Well, it's about time, Gooder."

Mike turned toward the voice he hadn't heard in a long time.

"It's good to see you Ham. Just wish it was under other circumstances."

"Yeah, me too."

"How's Robin?"

Ham looked towards the young man who had spoken. God, he looks like hell.

"Not so good. She hasn't said a word since I told her what happened. She's a tough woman and has been through more then any one person should experience, but this is worse. Knowing that someone you love wants you dead must hurt like hell."

"It does."

Ham looked at Kyle and saw the same haunted look in his eyes that he had seen in Robin's.

"Robin's downstairs. Maybe you should go down and talk to her. After all, you two are in the same boat, so to speak."

Kyle nodded his acknowledgement and headed downstairs.

"It's going to be hard on those two. They both loved Elizabeth and now they're going to be fighting against her."

"Well, Gooder, it's not going to be easy on any of us. But we have to remember that she's one of them now. Not the same girl we all knew. And as for Kyle and Robin, they're going to have to be there to give each other support. Their physical and emotional survival depends on it."

"You know Ham, sometimes you can be downright phylisophical."

"Yeah, but don't tell anyone. Come on, we've got work to do."

Ham, Chris, Julie, Mike, and Shawn headed into a back room. They all knew that Robin and Kyle needed this time alone together.

*
Kyle silently watched Robin. What do I say to her? How do I explain something I don't understand myself?

"Is it true?"

Kyle walked over to stand beside Robin.

"I'm afraid so. She's one of them now."

"Why did this happen? I've lost everyone I ever loved because of Diana and her people. Now they've destroyed my daughter."

Kyle took the young woman into his arms.

"How do I fight against my own daughter? How can I destroy her?"

"Robin, you have to remember that no matter what happens, your daughter loved you very much. This 'new' Elizabeth may look the same but she's not. Keep reminding yourself that this person killed your daughter. Our Elizabeth is gone and she's not coming back."

"It's too hard Kyle. I don't think I can do this."

"Yes you can. You survived before and you'll survive again. We'll help each other."

They stood there embracing, neither able to say or do anything that would ease the pain they were both feeling. But both knew that in order to survive, they must bury their feelings for the woman now lost to them.

Being able to count on each other and their friends was the only way they would survive.

"Come upstairs with me. I know Mike and Julie are anxious to see you."

Robin looked into Kyle's eyes. This was the man that she had loved for so long, and she knew they now had to depend on each other.

"I'll be right up."

Kyle looked at Robin with concern.

"Okay, but I'll be right upstairs."

After Kyle left, Robin collapsed on the floor. God, Elizabeth....how could this have happened? What happened to my sweet, innocent daughter? How am I supposed to fight you?

Robin wiped at her face and headed upstairs to join the others. Doubts and questions racing through her mind.

*

Robin tossed and turned in her bed. The group had talked and planned into the early morning hours. Ham had left to contact some former Resistance members and talk to some of his contacts. The others decided to try to get some sleep while they could. They knew that the coming months would be difficult. Robin had drifted into an uneasy sleep.

"Mother?"

Robin startled awake. Elizabeth? Robin looked around the room and saw a light from the corner.

"Elizabeth, is that you?"

The light moved forward. It was her daughter.

"Mother, I don't have much time. There's so much I want to tell you."

"Is it really you?"

"Yes and no."

Elizabeth walked over to the bed and sat next to Robin.

"I had to come to you....to try to make you understand."

"Understand what?"

"That you must destroy me."

"NO!!!"

"Mother, please. That isn't really me anymore. It's a shell of who I used to be. But in order for me to be free, you must destroy that shell. Because if you don't, she will destroy you. I can't let that happen. I love you too much."

"I love you too."

"Then do as I ask. She's evil....don't let the fact that she's using my body confuse you. She's already destroyed me, I can't that happen to anyone I love."

"What do you want me to do?"

"I want you to fight her with everything you have. Remember that she's not me. Can you do that for me?"

Robin looked at her daughter.....her real daughter. "I'll try."

"I know you can. And there's one more thing."

"What is it, Elizabeth?"

"I want you to take care of Kyle. I love you both so much that I need to make sure you'll take care of each other. You need to work together to defeat Diana. And you need to help each other heal."

"I promise."

The light began to fade.

"Goodbye mother.......I love you."

The light disappeared. Robin laid back on the bed.

"I love you too, Elizabeth. Goodbye." Robin whispered to the darkness.

Then Robin drifted into a dreamless sleep.

Down the hall, Kyle experienced a similar experience. And he also made the promise to protect Robin and to take care of her, before he too, drifted into a dreamless sleep.

Elizabeth, The Star Child, smiled sadly as she looked in on her mother and the man she loved. She knew that Robin and Kyle would need each other's love and support. She had to push them together by making them promise her that they would be there for each other. Because she wanted nothing more than for the two people she loved most, to find happiness together. However, she knew that first they would need to face an enemy that had the power to destroy them. And she could do nothing to help them. Goodbye to both of you.....I'll be watching over you both.....I love you always. Then the Star Child disappeared.

*

A new dawn was approaching, and with it the knowledge that another battle with the Visitors was about to begin. The Resistance had been reborn.....with some old friends and some new allies. This battle had already hit close to home and had already left scars that would never heal. But the new Resistance was determined to succeed....they had done it before, they now prayed they could do it again. Because the battle for Earth, and for their own survival, just became personal...................

*

It had been several months since the war against the Visitors began again.

Mike, Ham, and the others found an abandoned storage facility to use as a base. And as word spread about Elizabeth's defection, more of their former comrades found their way back to the fight. Willie had been one of the first to return, but he didn't understand what had happened.

Finally, Robin had to take him aside and try to explain why the young woman he had watched grow, and whom he loved, must now be destroyed. Once he was able to understand that Elizabeth had become like Diana, he understood, and agreed to do anything he could to help.

Julie had watched Robin closely the past few months, and was growing more and more concerned about her. So far, Robin had only faced Elizabeth once, but that single encounter had nearly destroyed Robin. Elizabeth had resorted to tormenting her mother, taunting her about how she couldn't kill her own daughter. Only Kyle's quick response had saved Robin's life.

He hadn't been able to kill Elizabeth, but he had distracted her long enough to get Robin out of harm's way. Since then, Robin had closed herself off from everyone....especially Kyle.

*

Kyle watched Robin as she sat out by the tree. She had been avoiding him since her encounter with Elizabeth. He had respected her unspoken wish to be left alone, till now. Damnit, I will not sit back and watch someone I care about destroy themselves because of Diana and her flunky. He had found it easier to fight against Elizabeth when he didn't associate her name with what she had become. Elizabeth was the woman he'd loved, not the monster that he was fighting.

"Robin, we need to talk."

"Leave me alone."

"No. I'm not leaving until we talk about what's going on."

Robin glared at Kyle, but he didn't move. Instead, he sat down next to her.

"How about starting with why you've been avoiding me?"

Robin turned to stare off in the opposite direction, but Kyle gripped her chin, turning her to face him. Robin knew that she couldn't hide from him forever.

"I needed time to myself. To make myself stronger."

"You call this becoming stronger?"

"I meant mentally stronger. I had to learn to control my emotions.

After what happened, I nearly got everyone killed because I froze. That can't happen again, I promised Elizabeth."

"What are you talking about?"

"My daughter is dead, but I will destroy the ones who murdered her."

Kyle was shocked. That was the first time he'd heard Robin admit that Elizabeth was gone. But, he was even more stunned by the change in her attitude. Something had happened to give Robin the strength to fight, and whatever it was had created a strong protective shell around Robin's emotions.

"But that doesn't explain why you won't talk to me. We need to help each other."

"I know that, but it's been too hard to deal with you and everything else."

"Why?"

"Because I still love you."

Robin regretted her words as soon as she'd spoken them. Without looking at Kyle, she got up and ran back inside the building.

Kyle sat stunned. Sure, he had known that Robin liked him back when they first met, but he never realized that her feelings had gone that deep. I wonder if Elizabeth knew. Of course she knew. That's why she made me promise to always watch out for her mother. The vision of Elizabeth had made him promise, and now he understood why. Elizabeth wanted him and her mother together. My God, my dead girlfriend is playing matchmaker. Trying to push me together with her mother. That was enough to blow his mind.

As he walked back inside, Kyle began thinking about Robin. What were his feelings for her? He didn't know, everything was so confusing. The one thing he did know, was that he cared about Robin, and would do whatever he had to do to make sure she was safe. He had finally grieved for the loss of the woman he loved, and he knew he'd always love Elizabeth. But, she was gone, and Robin was still here. He knew it was what Elizabeth would want, but he didn't know if it was what he wanted. Could Robin and I have a future together?

Any more thoughts on that subject would have to be put on hold, as Kyle looked up to see Shawn running towards him.

"Kyle, you have to come quick."

"What's happened?"

"Another attack. Dad and Ham are in the conference room."

All thoughts turned from love to war. A small team was dispatched to find out what had happened. Willie, Robin, and two other members made up the team. Kyle got an uneasy feeling as he watched Robin prepare to leave.

"Robin."

"What?"

Kyle walked over to her, and whispered in her ear.

"We need to talk when you get back."

Robin nodded, but refused to meet his eyes. Then she was gone. Kyle left to rejoin Mike and Ham.

*

Kyle was trying different strategies on the computer, when he heard a commotion in the hallway. He caught a glimpse of someone being carried in. What the hell? He got up and rushed to the med room.

"What happened?"

"The recon team was ambushed. It was a trap, Kyle. They walked right into it."

Kyle turned to Mike, the older man's face was pale.

"Who was brought in?"

"Willie. He's in bad shape."

"And the others?"

Kyle couldn't bring himself to say Robin's name.

"David and Aly were killed, we found their bodies. And Robin....."

"Robin what!?"

Mike looked at the young man. He's suffered so much, how do I tell him this? Mike knew that Kyle and Robin had been having some problems, but he also knew how much they cared about each other.

"Mike, tell me what happened to Robin."

"She's missing."

"What do you mean....missing?"

"We didn't find her body, and she wasn't with Willie. We're assuming Diana took her."

Kyle leaned back against the wall, dragging his hands through his hair.

"If that's true, then we have to get her back."

"We will, Kyle. But first, we need to know what happened. And the only one that can tell us that is Willie."

Just then Julie walked out.

"How is he?"

Julie leaned against her husband.

"It doesn't look very good. He's slipping away, and I don't know how to save him."

"Can he talk?"

Julie looked to Kyle. She knew that Robin was missing, and they needed to know what had happened to her.

"He's in and out. We can try, but I can't guarantee that he'll be able to respond."

Kyle rushed into the room, and stood next to Willie's bed.

"Willie, can you hear me?"

Willie's eyelids fluttered before opening.

"Kyle?"

"It's me, Willie. You're going to be fine, you just need to rest."

"Robin." Willie whispered.

"What about Robin, Willie? Where is she?"

"Robin...help Robin."

"I will, but you need to tell me what happened."

"Hurt...she's hurt...help her."

Kyle looked to Mike, he was becoming impatient.

"Willie, it's Mike. We want to help Robin, but you have to tell us where she is."

Willie looked from Mike to Kyle, then he reached over to Kyle. Kyle extended his hand to Willie, but yanked it back when Willie pinched his skin and pulled.

"Ouch!!What the hell are you doing?"

"Had to be sure...not a trick."

Kyle didn't understand, but Mike did.

"He wanted to make sure you weren't a Visitor."

When Kyle realized what had happened, he reached over and gripped Willie's hand. The alien had been protecting Robin, and he was grateful for that.

"Tell me where she is."

"Hiding...Diana and Elizabeth tried to take her....Robin hurt....We hid her."

It took a while, but they were able to piece together what had happened.

Once the recon team was ambushed, they soon realized that it was Robin that the Visitors were after. Willie and the others insisted she run, but Robin refused to leave the team. During the fight, Robin had been grabbed by Elizabeth. David had attacked, and gotten Robin free. But, he was killed and Robin injured. Willie had carried Robin to a hiding spot, while Aly covered them. Then Willie had gone back to fight. Robin should still be where they left her.

*

Kyle, Mike, and Ham arrived at the werehouse, and followed Willie's instructions. After moving the boxes out of the way, they found Robin, curled up in a crawl space. Kyle reached in and gently pulled her out.

After reassuring himself that she was alive, Kyle picked up the unconscious girl, and they headed back to camp. Kyle sat in the van, holding Robin in his arms. The front of her shirt was drenched with blood, and she hadn't moved since they found her. Kyle was scared to death that she would die.

"Don't you die on me, Robin Maxwell! You have survived too much to give up now."

*

Mike and Ham watched the two young people. They had seen enough action to know that Robin's injuries were serious. It was a very real possibility that she could die.

"I don't think he could handle losing another person he loved." Mike whispered.

"Do you think he loves her?"

"Just look at him."

Ham turned to look at Kyle.

"I guess he does. Wonder if he knows it yet."

"Nope." Mike answered.

Both prayed that Kyle would have the chance to realize his feelings. And that Robin would survive to hear them.

*
Kyle carried Robin into the med room. Julie quickly cut away Robin's shirt, and began cleaning off the blood.

"Kyle, you have to leave now."

"I can't."

Julie led the young man to the door.

"You'll only be in the way. We need to concentrate on saving Robin's life."

Mike led Kyle into one of the other rooms. The young man sat down on the couch, and put his head in his hands. Seeing Robin near death had finally opened his eyes. He loved her. It wasn't the same as his love for Elizabeth, but it was just as strong.

"I can't lose her Mike."

"I've known Robin a long time, and she's a strong woman. She'll come back to us.....to you."

Kyle looked up at Mike, and saw the understanding in the older man's eyes.

"How'd you know? I just realized it myself."

"It takes a fool to know a fool. I was the same way with Julie."

*

Several hours later, Julie came out. The room had filled with people worried about Robin. Mike, Shawn, Ham, Chris, and even Willie--who's condition had improved to the point that he was just a little weak--waited with Kyle to hear news on Robin's condition.

"She's out of surgery, but her internal injuries were extensive. I've fixed everything I can, it's now up to her body to heal. We will continue to monitor her, and make sure she doesn't get infection, but it's a waiting game now."

"Can I go see her?"

"Kyle, maybe you should wait. She's not conscious, she wouldn't even know you're there."

"I don't care. I need to see her. Please Julie."

"Okay, go ahead."

After Kyle left the room, Mike approached his wife. He noticed the tears in her eyes.

"Is she going to make it?"

"I don't know, Mike. I just don't know."

Mike pulled her into his arms, and she cried. The others all sat back down, fear evident in all their faces. Robin had become a very important person to all them. She was like their sister...daughter...friend...and they were scared to death that they were going to lose her.

*

Kyle approached Robin's bed slowly. The first thing he noticed was how pale she was. He carefully picked up her hand, and held it in his own.

Bending down, he placed a kiss on her forehead.

"Robin, you're safe now. You just take your time, and get stronger. You just need time to heal, then you'll be back to normal. Then we can have that talk. I need to tell you how much I love you. How much I need you."

Kyle let the tears fall, and he began praying to whoever would listen.

And as his fear of losing Robin grew, so did his anger. He had no doubts that either Elizabeth or Diana had been the one to shoot Robin, no one else would've risked it. They would pay for hurting her, and they would pay dearly.

"You've got to survive, Robin. Don't let them win. Remember all the things Diana's done to you, all the people she's destroyed. Use those memories, and that anger to fight you're way back. Then, when you're healthy again, I swear we will destroy that bitch together. Together we will be stronger than she is. Elizabeth knew that. She made us promise to be there for each other. So don't you dare leave me alone."

Kyle sat next to the bed, and refused to leave. He wouldn't leave Robin's bedside until she regained consciousness. She needed him, and he was going to be there for her.

*

Mike told Julie to leave Kyle where he was. After all, if the places were reversed, no one would've been able to move Mike from Julie's bedside either. Kyle needed to be with Robin, and that would probably be the best medicine for Robin, too.

*

Robin's condition remained critical, and Kyle remained by her side. He refused to give up on her. While he maintained a vigil in the med room, the others stepped up their attacks on the Visitors. They were fighting for everyone they had lost, and those they might still lose. All the Resistance was fighting towards one goal......the destruction of Diana and Elizabeth.

*

Mike entered the med room, and observed Kyle. The young man had barely left Robin's side since she'd been brought in. He needed to get some rest, or he'd collapse.

"Kyle?"

Kyle looked up at the older man. Mike saw the exhaustion on Kyle's face.

"You need to get some rest. Robin needs you strong."

"I won't leave her alone, Mike."

"She won't be alone. I'll stay with her. You go take a shower and get some rest."

"But, what if her condition changes?"

"Then I'll send someone to get you. Until that happens, you need to keep yourself healthy. Now go."

Kyle knew Mike was right, but he hated leaving Robin. He was afraid that if he left, she wouldn't be there when he got back. Reluctantly, Kyle left the med room and headed to his quarters.

After Kyle left, Mike sat down next to Robin's bed. The anger he had felt earlier only intensified. He had known Robin almost from the beginning of this nightmare. He had considered her father his friend, and he had watched Robin survive everything Diana had thrown at her. Robin's love for her daughter had never been questioned, even though everyone would've understood if she'd rejected the child. Robin had proved stronger then anyone thought.

"Robin, it's Mike. I want you to listen to me, okay. You need to come back to us, Robin. We all need you, especially Kyle. The kid is practically a walking zombie because he doesn't want to leave your side. Come back, and help us destroy Diana."

*

Mike was still sitting by Robin's bed when he heard one of the machines beeping. He jumped up and grabbed Robin's hand. He could've sworn he felt her squeeze his hand, it was very weak but he knew he felt it. "Robin?"

Robin's eyes flickered open, then closed again. Several moments passed, and then she opened them again. Her eyes moved from side to side, and she blinked to try to focus her vision.

"Robin, can you hear me?"

"Mike?" It was barely a whisper, but it was enough. Mike yelled for someone to go get Julie and Kyle.

"You're safe, Robin. Now you're going to be just fine."

Julie was the first to enter the room.

"Oh, Robin, thank God. How do you feel?"

"Tired, and sore."

"That's to be expected after the injuries you had. But, you're awake, and you will continue to get stronger."

Julie walked over to give Robin some water, and nearly jumped when Kyle came storming into the room.

"What's happening?"

Julie moved aside, with a smile on her face. Kyle found himself looking into Robin's eyes. He rushed to her side, and gripped her hands in his own.

"Oh, God, Robin, you're awake. Are you okay? Can I get you anything? Are you in pain?"

"Down boy, how can she answer you if you don't let her get a word in edgewise?" Mike teased.

"I'm sorry. You had me scared to death you know."

"Why?" Robin sounded genuinely confused.

Mike and Julie both discreetly left. This should be a private discussion.

They went off to find the others, and tell them the good news.

"What do you mean why? You nearly died."

Robin didn't say anything, just stared at him.

"It wasn't the first time, and it probably won't be the last time."

"Damnit, Robin! Don't you dare talk like that. I won't let anything happen to you."

"Why do you care?"

"Because I love you! And I nearly went nuts when I thought I was going to lose you. I can't...won't let that happen again."

Robin reached for Kyle's hand, finally allowing the love to show in her eyes.

"You can't protect me forever Kyle. Things happen in war. If something happens to me, you will go on. You will continue to fight."

"I don't want to have this talk with you right now. The memories of seeing you covered in blood are too fresh. For now, let me believe in my dream, okay?"

Robin nodded. Both of them knew the dangers they would face, but for right now they wouldn't think about that.

"Robin, who shot you?"

Robin tried to turn her head away, but Kyle stopped her. He knew the answer before she spoke.

"Elizabeth."

"We'll find a way to destroy them. I promise." Kyle said.

Robin began drifting back into sleep. Kyle sat beside her until he was sure he was asleep. Then he left to find Mike.

*

"Mike, I need to talk to you."

"Sure thing, how's Robin?"

"Better, she's sleeping right now."

"So, what's up?"

"Elizabeth was the one who shot Robin."

"I know."

"What?"

"Kyle, we've found out some information since the ambush. You had enough to deal with, so we didn't mention any of it to you."

"What information?"

Mike motioned for the younger man to sit. Then he began to pace.

"The ambush wasn't a random attack, Kyle. It was a deliberate plan to get to Robin."

"Well, it didn't work. They failed to kill her."

"That wasn't the plan."

"What do you mean?"

"They had no intention of killing Robin. It was meant as a message. Diana's plan is to kidnap Robin and use her in some more of those experiments."

"That doesn't make sense."

"Kyle, of all the experiments that Diana has conducted, only Robin was successful. When she was paired with Brian, Elizabeth was conceived. Diana was hoping the same thing would happen with John, but he was killed before Robin became pregnant. So, now Diana wants or actually needs to try again."

"Why, she has Elizabeth?"

"Not exactly. We've found out that the powers Elizabeth possessed were tied to her essensce, to her soul. All she is now is a body, a shell of The Star Child. She doesn't have the abilities our Elizabeth had."

"Diana needs Robin to create a new half-breed."

"Yes."

"NEVER! I won't let them touch Robin again."

"Neither will we, Kyle. None of us will let that happen."

Kyle left to go back and check on Robin. If Diana and Elizabeth wanted Robin, they'd have to go through him first. He knew Diana was afraid of losing the war. She may have Elizabeth's body, but not her powers, and that made them weak. The real Elizabeth had told them that together they'd be able to defeat Diana. Maybe Diana sensed that, and that was another reason she wanted to take Robin. To seperate the two that she knew were destined to destroy her. "It won't happen, Diana. Robin and I will destory you!"

*

Mike watched Kyle leave. From the information they had received, Diana believed that Robin was capable of destroying her plans. And that meant that Robin was going to be the main target. They would all have to take measures to make sure she remained safe. Because, it was very possible, that Robin was the key to the Visitors destruction.

*

What none of them knew was that Robin and Kyle had been blessed by The Star Child. Elizabeth wasn't able to interfere in anything that happened anymore, but she had been able to gift the two people she loved. During her visit to them, Elizabeth had given them a power that would bond them forever. And it would make them strong enough to destroy Diana and put an end to her evil plans. It couldn't keep them safe, but it would keep them strong. The rest they'd have to do on their own.

*

Kyle walked into the med room, only to find Robin standing by the window. She was so deep in thought she didn't hear Kyle enter. Kyle walked up behind her, and pulled her back into his arms.

"You should be in bed. You need your rest right now."

"I'm fine, Kyle."

Kyle turned Robin to face him. The expression on her face worried him.

"What's the matter?"

Robin looked at him. She loved him so much, she didn't know if she could handle losing him.

"I don't know how to say goodbye to you."

"What are you talking about? You don't have to say goodbye."

Robin pulled away from Kyle and walked back to bed. She sat on the edge of the bed, refusing to meet Kyle's gaze.

"Yes, I do. As soon as Julie says I'm strong enough, I'll be leaving here. Mike thinks it'll be better if I hide out for awhile. Especially since it seems I've become the prime target."

"Fine, then I'll come with you."

"No, Kyle."

Kyle walked over to Robin, and pulled her into his arms.

"Why not? Did Mike say no?"

"No." Robin whispered.

"Then why?"

"Because I couldn't bear to watch you die. If Diana finds me, she'd use you to hurt me. I don't want to be responsible for getting you killed."

Kyle held the shaking woman tightly in his arms. He understood her fears, but he'd be damned if he'd let her leave without him. They were in this together.

"I'm not letting you leave without me. Besides, I stand more of a chance of being killed here, then I would going into hiding with you. And you aren't responsible for my safety, Robin. I'm a big boy, you know."

"Kyle, please...."

"I'm sorry Robin, but I refuse to let you out of my sight. I love you too much to let you go."

"Damn you for being so stubborn." Robin said, burying her face against his chest. "I love you, too."

They stood like that for several moments before Kyle convinced Robin to get some rest. He didn't leave her until he was sure she was asleep.

Then he went to find Mike.

*

"I take it you'll be going with Robin." Mike asked.

"Did you really think I wouldn't?"

"No, I knew you'd want to go with her. But, I decided to leave it up to you to convince Robin."

"Well, I did. Now, what's the plan?"

Mike pulled out a map and pointed to a secluded area.

"There's a cabin here, out in the middle of nowhere. No one knows about it so you and Robin will be safe there. We've secretly been taking supplies up there the past couple months. As soon as Robin is strong enough, we'll take you guys away from here. For right now, that's the best we can do. The rest of us will continue fighting here, and trying to figure out how to destroy Diana. Robin is the key to that, now we have to figure out how. Until then, she has to be kept safe."

"I won't let anything happen to her."

"I know that."

*

Several weeks later, Robin and Kyle said goodbye to their friends. They knew it could be awhile before they saw them again, and it was possible some of them wouldn't be there when they came back. Everyone was in tears as they watched Kyle and Robin leave. It had been especially hard on Willie, but he'd put on a brave face for Robin. Robin's safety was their number one priority, because without her, they were lost.

*

The next few months passed the same as any others. The Resistance was no closer to finding a way to destroy the Visitors then they were before.

So, they continued fighting and planning. Limited contact with Kyle and Robin let them know the two were safe and hadn't been found. Life went on as it had since the Visitors arrived. Each person had to take life one day at a time and pray for a way for the war to end. More and more former Resistance members continued to make their way back to help, and Mike hoped that he'd be able to find Phillip. If they were lucky, maybe Phillip had the answers they were looking for. But Mike had no way of knowing if his friend was alive or dead, but he had people searching for him anyway.

Kyle and Robin were making the most of their seclusion. Learning things about each other that they never knew. Their thoughts and prayers were constantly with their friends, and they prepared for when they would be called back to fight against Diana. Robin would never admit it to Kyle, but she was glad he had come along. She was still afraid for him, but at least they would be together, no matter what happened. Their love for each other and their friends was what was keeping them strong. They would need that when the time came to fight. Both prayed Mike would be able to find Phillip or some of the other Fifth Column that had helped them before. Because, the stakes had been raised, and the Resistance needed all the help they could get.

It may be days or weeks or even years till they came up with a way to destroy Diana. Until then, they had to wait....wait till Mike called them home......to fight for their futures.

THE END!!

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Dayna.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.