Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationships:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
2,258
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
8
Hits:
1,220

Second Chance Lost Forever

Summary:

It was Mac and Mic's engagement party.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

Second Chance Lost Forever
By Red Falcon

Voices mingled and tried to keep up with other conversations going on. It was Mac and Mic's engagement party and they appeared to be happy. Renee was ecstatic with this, hoping maybe that finally she would have Harm to herself. Mic was preening like a rooster, grinning like a fool over his victory. Mac appeared to be happy but wasn't commenting, to anyone, on what she was really thinking.

For his part, Harm was trying to stay as far away from Mac as he could. He kept cursing himself for letting her get away and not having the sense to do something before she agreed to marry that insufferable jerk. Harm had a special gift for her but didn't really want to give it to her with everyone watching. He was hoping to get her alone for a few minutes but the way Mic was holding onto her it didn't look like he was going to get the opportunity anytime soon.

Harm made his way along the fringes of the guests to the place where all the wedding gifts were sitting and left his where his Sarah would find it. He continued along the way he had been and managed to sneak out without anyone noticing. He just couldn't stay and watch Mac make the biggest mistake of her life and he really didn't want to deal with Renee at the moment.

Harm drove off into the night, leaving everyone and everything behind. He was hoping for a few hours of peace to deal. His drive found him at the Leesburg field where his other 'Sarah' lived. Harm was very careful as he prepared for takeoff that night. He knew he needed the freedom of flying to center himself and be able to handle the upcoming wedding without doing something stupid.

Once off the ground and flying through the night, Harm began to feel calmer, almost serene. Nothing could touch him up here.

*

Mac was looking around for Harm and was mildly disappointed when she couldn't find him right off. "Renee, have you seen Harm lately?" she asked the video princess.

"No but don't worry about it, I'm sure he's around here somewhere." Renee said.

Mac began to feel apprehensive, like something was about to happen. She became desperate to find her flyboy, praying he was still at the party and not off getting into trouble.

*

The cold night air blasted through the open cockpit, keeping Harm awake. Harm flew over the Virginia countryside and he even over flew the admiral's house. He circled the house a couple of times, smiling at what he saw. Harm knew his other Sarah was down there happy and not even thinking about him anymore. That thought made him a little sad but he knew he lost his chance a long time ago and now had to make the best of it.

Harm continued to fly for several more hours before turning back for Leesburg to land. Half way back, Harm ran into trouble. Something in the engine began to sputter. The propeller began to falter and slow down. Without warning, the steering gave out and the control stick became loose in his hand. Harm knew he was in trouble. There was no place to land and he had no time to find one, he was going to crash.

Harm fought the controls for as long as he could but in the end it was no use. The last thing he saw was a stand of trees coming up to smack him.

*

Mac's search was finally rewarded. She went outside to the deck and found Harm standing there looking up at the stars. "There you are. I've been looking everywhere for you. Are you all right?" she said.

"Yeah, I just needed to get away from Brumby's gloating. If I didn't I would likely have smacked him." Harm said.

"He's not that bad." Mac said, a bit of laughter in her voice. / Something isn't right. He's too distant. / Mac thought.

"You're probably right. For the millionth time in the last few months I have been wishing this was our party. I know I blew it in Sydney but I was hoping you'd wait. When you didn't I knew I lost my chance. I am sorry I let you down, Sarah, really I am." Harm said.

"Oh, Harm, why didn't you say something sooner? I would have told Mic no, I still can. Nothing is set in stone." Mac said.

"No, Sarah, it is finally too late, for both of us. Maybe next time around we'll get our chance. I've got to go now. Always remember that I love you and I will be watching over you. I'm going to miss you, ninjagirl." Harm said.

He disappeared into the night leaving Mac standing there stunned. "There you are luv. I was wondering were you got off too. Was that Harm I heard? Where did he go?" Mic asked.

"I don't know. One minute he was there and the next he was gone. Something's wrong. I've got to find him. I'm afraid he's going to do something crazy and hurt himself." She said.

"He's a big boy, Sarah. He can take care of himself." Mic said but he didn't try to stop her. Instead, Mic went inside and made their apologies and when with her. He too felt something was not quite right and wanted to be with her, just in case they were too late.

*

Something deep inside her had Mac heading for Leesburg. She knew that when Harm wanted to be alone and to take time to think he went to the airfield and spent time with 'Sarah.'

"I just hope she's there." Mac muttered.

"Who?" Mic asked.

"Harm's other 'Sarah.' When he needs time to himself he spends time with her."

"Who's this other 'Sarah'?"

"You'll see, I hope"

As they reached the half way point to the airfield, they drove passed an accident scene. Mac almost drove by but when Mic spoke she had to stop. "What a mess." Mic said.

Mac turned to look and noticed the Navy markings on what was left of the bi-plane. "Oh god, that's 'Sarah'" she wailed.

She pulled out of traffic and after jumping out of the corvette, she rushed headlong into the flames. Mic managed to grab hold of her but she was struggling like mad. Neither of them noticed the ambulance as it left the scene.

"Hold on there, miss." A police officer said.

"The pilot, where is he?" Mac demanded.

"They just took him away. The paramedics said it doesn't look good." Another officer said.

"Oh, god. Where did they take him?" she demanded.

"Leesburg Medical."

"Any idea how it happened?"

"FAA is going to investigate. Does she know the pilot?"

"Yeah, he's her partner at work. They're both lawyers at the Judge Advocate General's office in Falls Church. His name is Commander Harmon Rabb." Mic said.

Despite everything, Mic has always respected Harm. He may have not liked that his fiancée worked with him and went out of town a lot with him but there was always respect. / It's going to kill her slowly if he dies./ Mic thought. He rushed to catch up with her.

*

The drive to the medical center was a blur but they did make it without an accident. Mac rushed into the emergency area looking for someone to tell her about Harm.

"Excuse me, I'm looking for information on a plane crash victim." Mac asked the person at the desk.

"They're still working on him. Are you his next of kin?"

"I do have his Power of Attorney, will that do?"

"Yes, you need to fill out these forms."

"Could you please get someone to tell him I'm here." Mac said.

At that moment a doctor came out of a curtained off area. "Is there a way to find a Sarah MacKenzie? This guy is not going to make it through the night and he wants to see her before the end." The man said.

Mac dropped the forms she was filling out, "Oh god, no."

"You're Sarah MacKenzie?" he asked. Mac nodded. "come with me. We've done all we can but the damage is too extensive. He crashed into a tree and was impaled in several places. The damage and blood loss is too great. I am sorry."

The doctor left her alone with the dying man and left orders that they not be disturbed. All the machines were already off, since they were useless anyway.

"So this is what you meant when you said it was too late for us. But how could you have been on the admiral's deck if you . . . ." she said.

"I . . . don't know. I had . . . . to think . . . . . . to get away from everyone." Harm said. His breathing was very labored as he tried to say what he needed to say before it was over. "I will always love you, my Sarah. . . . . . . Be happy, live a long and fulfilling life. . . . . . . . . . I'll be waiting for you, my beautiful Sarah." He said as he breathed his last and was gone.

For what seemed like forever, Mac sat there with Harm's body, not truly believing he was actually gone. / I'm never far away. Think of me and you'll know. / the ghost caress of Harm's voice danced through her mind.

Finally, Mac stumbled out of the alcove and over to where Mic was sitting. What he saw in her eyes, he knew that Harm was gone.

"We need to tell the others. Do you think they're still at the admiral's?" she said even as she took out her cell phone.

*

The ringing phone was finally noticed by Renee and she picked it up. "Chegwidden residence." She said.

"Renee, good, is everyone still there?" Mac asked.

"Yes, what is it?"

"Just as the admiral to keep everyone there. Mic and I are coming back. Something's happened and I really don't want to repeat it more than once." She said.

*

Mic drove them back to the admiral's house. Mac was deep in thought and torn by grief. "I can't believe he's gone, not like that." She said.

Mic, wisely kept his thoughts to himself. He knew she would have to work through her grief on her own and may never get over this. "We can delay the wedding if you want." Mic offered.

"No, I don't want to wait. I wasn't going to do this but, I'm going to put in for a transfer. Maybe to the embassy in Sydney. I don't think I could stay here with all these memories. I just want to get on with our lives." Mac said. "I want to live that full life I promised him."

They soon arrived at the admiral's house and went inside. "What's happening, Colonel?" A.J. asked.

"Harm crashed his Stearman this evening. Apparently he sneaked out of here when no one was paying attention and when flying. They aren't sure yet why it happened but Harm crashed into a stand of trees. His injuries were too severe, the doctors couldn't save him. Sir, Harm is dead." Mac finally said.

"No, no you're wrong." Renee said.

"I wish I was. I didn't know anything was wrong when I saw him out on the deck earlier. But it wasn't him. He's gone Renee. I was with him at Leesburg Medical Center when he died. I am sorry."

Everyone was stunned. No one could believe someone like Harm could be dead. He seemed so full of life and ready to take on the world. The admiral knew that Mac wouldn't be staying either and was sad for that loss as well.

Mac wandered passed the gift table and saw one she didn't recognize and one that wasn't opened yet. She picked it up and took it outside. Mac needed some space to get a handle on her grief. Tears filled her eyes when she opened the box. Nestled on a blue velvet cushion was
the most beautiful ruby and emerald rose pendant she had ever seen. / It pales in comparison to your smile, the light in your beautiful eyes, Sarah. I won't be too far away. I do love you. / Harm's ghost voice told her.

*

ONE LIFE HAS ENDED AND A NEW ONE BEGINS



Epilogue:

Mic and Sarah Brumby did live a long life together. She finally let herself love him for who he was. Mac never forgot her lost flyboy and every now and then Mic would catch her staring off into the clouds with a smile meant only for him, her lost soul mate.

They had many children together and they even named one after Harm. True to form that young man went into the Australian Navy and was one of their best pilots.

After living a long and full life, some sixty years down the road, Sarah fell asleep one night and found herself in a place of peace. She looked around.

"I told you, so long ago, I would be waiting for you." He said.

Sarah turned to the voice. She ran to him and was swept up in his arms. "I have missed you so much. But I did as you asked. Mic and I have lots of kids, grand kids and believe it or not great grandkid."

"And now, we can be together again. We'll get another shot down there eventually but I need you now." Harm said.

They fell together into a fluffy cloud.


THE END
(you want anymore you write it)

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Red Falcon.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.