Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Character:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
581
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
8
Hits:
1,311

Forty Years

Summary:

Alfred Pennyworth/Lucius Fox. Yes, you read that right. Just a small scene between them. It wouldn't leave me alone until I wrote it out, so I gave in.

Work Text:

Lucius administered the anti-toxin to Bruce. He was satisfied with Bruce's even breathing and left the young man to sleep it off, confident that he'd be awake in a day or two. He wasn't sure what dangerous activities Bruce was doing in his spare time but had a feeling that they were important.

Lucius would continue to support Bruce in any way that he could. He just hoped Bruce could avoid the more serious injuries. He liked the young Wayne and didn't want to see him hurt. Plus, if anything did happen to Bruce, he didn't know how Alfred would deal with it.

Lucius would never forget the sound of Alfred's voice when Alfred called him about Bruce. He'd heard strain in that cultured voice before but Alfred sounded like he was keeping himself together by sheer force of will. He knew of Alfred's quiet strength and that Alfred didn't hesitate to share a friend's burdens but even the stout Englishman had his limits.

Lucius went downstairs to the kitchen. He found Alfred sitting slumped at the table. He saw that his friend's hands were shaking and went to stand behind him. "Alfred."

Alfred looked over his shoulder at Lucius. His eyes were red with fatigue. "How is he?"

"He'll be fine with rest."

Alfred sighed wearily. "Good."

Lucius leaned down so he could wrap his arms around Alfred. He reached out to still Alfred's hands with his own. "How are you?" he whispered.

Alfred squeezed Lucius's fingers. "I'll live."

"I should hope so." Lucius kissed the side of Alfred's head. "Forty years hasn't been near long enough."

Alfred surprised Lucius by laughing lightly. "I doubt either of us will make it another forty."

"We can always try." Lucius ran his hands up Alfred's arms and started kneading Alfred's tense shoulders. "Can I stay tonight?"

Alfred tilted his head back to rest against Lucius's stomach and closed his eyes in pleasure. "I would like that," he murmured.

Lucius patted Alfred's shoulder and urged him to stand. "Then, let's go upstairs and I'll give you a proper massage."

Alfred winced at a sharp crick in his back. "I'm falling apart, Luv."

Lucius rested his hand in the small of Alfred's back and the two started for the stairs. "Nothing's wrong with you that a good night's sleep won't cure."

Alfred stopped in the doorway to flip off the light. "I'm surprised you didn't find yourself a younger lover years ago."

They started climbing the steps. "You know you only get this way when you're cranky," Lucius replied. He was serious but his voice had a teasing edge to it. "I'm almost as old as you and why would I want someone else when I've got you broken in? Besides, I've loved you all these years. It's a habit I don't think I can break."

Alfred smiled warmly. "The feeling's mutual."

Lucius's only response was to grin back until they got to Alfred's room and he made good on his offer of a massage.