Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
1,421
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
17
Hits:
981

Tea Leaves

Summary:

This is somewhat of a prologue to a planned story.

Work Text:

Tea Leaves
by S

Ducky sat across from Gibbs, calmly sipping at his cup of tea when he suddenly blurted out, "Jethro, I'm thinking of resigning."

Gibbs almost choked on the coffee he had just swallowed. "Why?"

"It's either that or put Mother in a care facility. Last night I found her wandering the neighborhood when I went home."

Gibbs stared at the man who'd been his friend for over twenty years. "What about a live-in helper? If it's the money. . . ."

"With the alimony you pay? No, dear boy, it's just a decision I hoped I'd never have to make, and now I must."

Jethro Gibbs stood up. It was time to go back to work. "Coming, Duck?"

His blue-eyed friend didn't look at him but continued to stir his tea. "Not right now, Jethro, I think I'll finish my tea and then
call Mother before I go back."

Gibbs shifted from one leg to the other before quietly saying, "I'm sure you'll make the right decision, Ducky."

"Thank you, Jethro. I always knew this day would come; I just hoped that it would be awhile longer."

Gibbs just nodded and then turned to walk off.

G/DG/D

Gibbs walked into the large office which comprised NCIS. Moving with military precision towards his cubicle, he could hear Todd and DiNozzo at it again. Normally, he could ignore their bickering, but not today. Silently, he walked over to where the two were continuing their never ending one-upmanship. "Todd, DiNozzo, I believe you both have work to do so let's try to cut the crap and get me those reports!"

Tony gulped and sat down at his desk, "Whatever you say, boss." Kate just flushed and sat down and started typing at her keyboard. Unfortunately, the monitor wasn't even on yet.

From the other cubicle came a snicker. Gibbs glared at McGee who quickly returned his focus to his computer.

For twenty minutes that particular area of NCIS gave every appearance of being busy beavers. No one said a word except for Tony who uttered a profanity when one of his sources pooped out.

Two minutes later Gibbs took to his feet, walking toward the elevators. "I'll be in the autopsy room if you need me. I expect those reports when I return."

Kate looked at Tony who looked at McGee who looked at Kate. All three shrugged.

G/DG/D

Exiting the elevator, the ex-marine walked in expecting to find Ducky in his familiar gear, but instead only Jimmy Palmer was there looking at some x-rays.

"Ducky here, Palmer?"

"No, sir. Dr. Mallard had to go home. Something about his mother."

Gibbs stalked out. Flipping open his cell phone, he put in a call to McGee who picked up immediately. "McGee, I have to go out. Have Tony and Kate put their reports on my desk when they're done. If you need me, call my cell, but try not to need me!" Without another word he clicked off.

With just the hint of a stammer, McGee relayed the message to his colleagues then returned to his own work, content that Gibbs had chosen to call him instead of the others.

Driving in his usual life-threatening manner Gibbs made it to Ducky's house in record time. Pulling up to the curb, he was relieved to see that no ambulance was present.

Knocking quietly at the door, he waited but there no answer so he turned the knob to let himself in. In the direction of the kitchen, he could hear voices so he headed straight there.

To his surprise he found Ducky and his mother sitting at the table drinking tea.

"Jethro?" Ducky asked in surprise. "What are you doing here?"

"Palmer told me there was. . .a problem. I thought. . . ." He stopped.

Mrs. Mallard's piercing eyes were focused on him.

"Donald, who is this man and why did he walk into my house?" Her lip trembled slightly.

"Now, Mother, that's Jethro Gibbs. Remember I've mentioned him to you before."

The woman sniffed. "Oh him." After sizing up the grey-haired man, she asked, "Would you like some tea, young man? I'll read your fortune for you."

Gibbs glanced over Ducky, but the physician coolly replied, "That's a good idea, Mother. I'm sure Jethro will be impressed with your skill."

The woman blushed, a becoming pink hiding the wrinkles and lines. "I am rather good at it if I say so myself."

Without another word, Ducky picked up the Brown Betty teapot to pour out a cup for their visitor. "Milk or lemon?" he inquired.

"It's fine the way it is." Gibbs never drank tea.

After thirty seconds passed, Mrs. Mallard rapped the table in front of Gibbs. "Well, drink up. I haven't all day you know!"

Gibbs took a swallow, two swallows; it wasn't really that bad but it wasn't coffee. Putting the cup down, he shoved it over to the old woman who looked down at the remaining tea leaves, twitched her nose and sighed. "Just as I thought." She hesitated for a moment and then asked, "Donald dear, I'm very tired. Would you mind helping me into my room for a little rest?"

"Of course not." Helping her to her feet, he allowed her to rest most of her weight on him. "I'll be right back, Jethro. Help yourself to some more tea if you like."

Gibbs just sat there. It had not been a good idea to just show up. He should have called. Ducky could certainly take care of his mother and himself. He wouldn't appreciate Gibbs being a mother hen.

"She's almost asleep already."

The NCIS agent looked up at his friend. "What happened?"

"One of the Corgis got out and Mother. . .panicked. Fortunately, one of our neighbors recognized the dog and brought Contessa back. When I called, Mother was still quite upset so I felt I should come home."

"So she's all right?"

"Until the next time."

The two men sat together without speaking for some moments and then Ducky inquired, "Do you know what my first conscious memory of my mother is?"

Gibbs shook his head.

"I must have been only a lad, but I can remember her standing up to a man in the street. He'd kicked his dog or something like that. She ripped into him and made him apologize. I was scared to see her so angry, but she put her arms about me and told me that I must never be afraid to stand up for those who can't stand up for themselves. I think that's one of the reasons I decided to be a medical examiner. The people on my examining table can't speak for themselves so it's up to me to give them a voice."

"You do it very well," Gibbs commented with a hint of pride in his friend's skill.

"Thank you, but now it seems that I have to stand up for my mother. I've been thinking about what you said. I think a live-in helper or at least one who can be here during the day might postpone the inevitable for another year or so. That way I can be here at night. It just means finding someone who my mother will tolerate. Do you think Tony might want the job?" Ducky smiled questioningly.

"You're welcome to ask him. I have a feeling she can get more work out of him than me at times."

"Ah, Jethro. Have you forgotten what you were like when you were his age? Which wife were you with at that time?" When Gibbs just scowled, he continued, "Never mind it's not important."

"I'd better get back to the office then. I have some reports to read."

"Of course, I understand. It's just. . . ."

"What? Is there something I can do to help?"

"No, not exactly. I. . . my mother told me what she saw in your tea leaves."

"Bad news?"

"I don't know. She said you love somebody."

Gibbs sighed deeply and then announced, "I'm not looking for Number Four, Duck!"

"I know. I told her that, but just before she closed her eyes, she whispered, 'I didn't say he loves a woman.'"

The End