Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Character:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
949
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
9
Hits:
955

Seeking Comfort

Summary:

E-mail: soo@slashaholics.org
Website: http://soo.slashaholics.org
Characters: Gil, Nick, Lady Heather
Summary: Sometimes comfort is sought in unusal places.
Archive: The Crime Scene, my website
Disclaimer: As much as I would like to, I don't own them.
Notes: Extra special thanks to elynross who listened to me carry on forever about this fic and edited it as well.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

Seeking Comfort
by soo

 

Nick forced himself to smile at the new doorman and shook his head. He knew the way to Lady Heather's rooms, and she was expecting him. Cringing at the sound of screams, he took the stairs two at a time.

It had been a rough couple of nights; it always was when children were involved. The feeling of helplessness -- almost hopelessness -- was just about overwhelming. Gil in particular always had a tough time fighting it off, and this week it had been doubly hard, because the case involved deaf children.

They had pushed through the night into the day, pulling double shift after double shift to find more than enough evidence to convict the suspect and put him away. Nick had just been finishing the paperwork when Lady Heather called, and what she said sent him flying through the hallways, nearly running over Sara in the process, and out the door. Traffic from the crime lab to the dominion had been bad as usual, and his anxiety skyrocketed.

He knew he shouldn't be anxious. Heather was a professional -- one of the best -- and Gil had a safe word. Even so he always felt this way and he suspected that he always would, because he didn't understand the appeal. Logically he should compare it to the release he felt after a strenuous workout or the exhilaration of a rollercoaster ride, but he just couldn't wrap his mind around it.

Nick paused at the door and scanned Lady Heather's rooms. Gil's clothes were scattered around haphazardly. He went over and folded them neatly.

He smiled as he saw the high tea set up in the nook. The tea was still warm. His fingers trembled as he picked up the third cup and saucer off the sideboard. Carefully, he poured himself a cup of Earl Grey and took a sip. The warmth spread out and soothed him.

The click of Lady Heather's heels alerted him, and he looked up. She looked calm, cool, and collected, and he didn't know how she did it.

"Hello, Nick."

"Lady Heather."

She gently took the cup out of his hands and placed it on the table, and then her arms were around him, and he sank into the embrace. "He's fine. It was a short but intense session." She stroked his hair. "I gave him hell for not telling you."

He sighed and pulled back from the embrace. "Can I see him now?"

"Of course." She stroked his cheek. "You can put the Arnica ointment on him, if you'd like." She took his hand firmly, but reassuringly, and led him to her bedroom.

Gil was stretched out on her bed. His back was a bright red, and Nick could see the marks left by the riding crop. The sight caused him to stumble, and he crawled onto the bed. He pulled Gil into his arms, careful not to cause him more pain.

"Nick?" Gil asked hesitantly.

Nick swallowed hard. "Yes." It always hurt to see Gil like this -- fragile, almost -- even though Nick knew that it helped him.

Gil cuddled closer. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you."

"It's okay." He tipped Gil's face up so he could look into his eyes. "Just tell me next time." Nick leaned down and kissed him softly, then gathered him closer and closed his eyes. For the first time that week he felt himself relaxing.

He had known early on that being involved with Gil wouldn't be easy. Gil was a very private man, set in his ways. He'd been surprised to find out about his relationship with Lady Heather. Nick had known that she fascinated him -- it would've been impossible not to notice -- but he never thought Gil would act on it. At first he'd been jealous of their relationship, that he could tell her things, share things with her, that he couldn't with Nick. He slowly came to realize that she provided an outlet that Nick couldn't give him.

The edge of the bed dipped, and Nick opened his eyes. Lady Heather had sat down on the edge of the bed and was warming up the ointment in her hands. He watched her gently massage it into Gil's back, and he could tell from the noises that Gil made in his sleep that it felt good. Once again he marveled at how those hands could inflict both pain and pleasure.

How would they feel on him?

He shook his head. He knew how they would feel -- she was always comforting him through touch.

She rose from the bed and put away the ointment and crop. "I have to get back to work. Feel free to stay as long as you want."

Nick blinked in surprise. She always stayed with them. "I...We...can leave."

"No, you've both had a hard week. Stay and rest a while." She pulled the comforter from the foot of the bed up and over them.

He reached out to stop her. "Stay."

"You don't need me here."

Nick opened his mouth to deny it, but closed it just as quickly. He looked up at Heather. She was right. He didn't need her -- not like Gil did. But he wanted her to be here, and he said so.

She nodded and kicked off her heels. He slid under the covers, and with a little bit of maneuvering, his head was pillowed on her breast with Gil still curled in his arms, asleep.

"Thank you," he said softly.

"For what?"

"For being a friend."

She stroked his hair. "It's my pleasure."

Nick nodded and closed his eyes. The gentle thrum of her heart relaxed him, and he fell asleep.

 

1/1

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Soo.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.