Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Completed:
2005-05-04
Words:
14,215
Chapters:
5/5
Kudos:
14
Hits:
2,179

Shred of Evidence

Summary:

The new head of the Sci-Crime Lab meets Assistant Director Skinner in a most unusual way.

Chapter 1: Chapter One

Chapter Text

August 10,1997 Monday

Deputy Director Marshall sat in the Director's plush office discussing issues of concern from the ten units he had authority over.

"What's the word from the trenches?' the Director asked.

"Aside from the usual grumbling about budget cuts, the only consistent complaint comes from agents and AD's alike. Ever since Agent Pendrell's untimely death, the Sci-Crime Lab has been left to go to seed."

"Why wasn't this seen to sooner?"

"Sir, it happened before I became Deputy Director and I guess it just slipped through the cracks."

"Check at Quantico. See if we have a qualified cadet."

"Sir,with all due respect the position requires experience."

The Director was quickly losing patience.

"Then recruit from the field offices. Surely we have someone to fit the bill!" he thundered.

Shortly afterward he ended the meeting and Marshall slunk back to the sanctuary of his own office.

He began his search of the field offices, cross referencing with applications made shortly after Pendrell's death and the position was posted nationwide via e-mail. He found a match in the Chicago office. Claudia Martin had made an application in April 1997. She was a trained field agent who had worked three years at the Northern Illinois Crime Lab before entering the academy. She sounded perfect for the job and he wondered why she hadn't been snapped up immediately. When he made inquiries into the matter he discovered it had less to do with her qualifications than her gender. To put his suspicions to the test, he submitted her application to the AD's under his command listing her as Claude Martin, rationalizing it could be sloughed off as a type-o if necessary. Much as he suspected, the feedback was largely positive, with one response glaring in its absence. That of Assistant Director Skinner whom he learned was on a rare vacation. he thought .

August 24,1997

Agent Martin aced her interview and was given control of the Sci-Crime Lab. Her first assignment--aside from organizing her department--was to process the crime scene of the latest in a series of brutal murders matching MO's from others committed from Washington State to Maine, making it federal and under the jurisdiction of the FBI.

Before they had the opportunity to br formally introduced, they met by chance at the DC crime scene. Agent Martin had taped off the bedroom and was down on the floor taking shoe impressions. Skinner was there to talk with his two SACs on the case but, they were nowhere to be found. He heard scuffling sounds from the end of the hall, followed them and found a figure, female as far as he could tell. She was completely sheathed in protective gear from the cloth cap that covered her hair to the elastic booties that covered her shoes, bent over her work. He was about to enter the room when her arm shot out, catching him across the shins.

"You can't come in here." she stated from behind her mask.

"Do you know who I am?" he asked tersely.

She stood, coming almost to eye level with him.

"I don't care who you are! One more step and you'll contaminate my crime scene."

"YOU'RE crime scene?" he seethed.

"Yes. I've spent." she consulted her watch. "The last three hours gathering evidence, documenting the scene but, I'm not finished and I'm NOT going to have it compromised to satisfy your curiosity."

He thought about introducing himself but, changed his mind, turned and left.

Back at the office he talked with Marshall who told him the Director snapped up Agent Martin because of her qualifications and the fact the forensics department had slid into oblivion in recent months.

"We've needed that department up and running for a long time now." Marshall said.

Skinner nodded in agreement.

"I almost met her today."

"What do you mean?"

"She wouldn't allow me in the crime scene."

"That was the proper thing to do you know, securing the scene." Marshall teased.

"Yeah, I know."

"I think we're going to see a lot of changes in the Sci-Crime Lab." Marshall noted.

"What makes you think so?" Skinner asked.

"After her interview, I took her around. She made a lot of notes."

After Marshall left, Skinner arranged a meeting with his SACs and e-mailed Agent Martin to have a presentation of the crime scene ready for the following afternoon at 3:00 PM.

Claudia thought

She worked diligently from her notes and photos till she was satisfied she'd left nothing out. When she got home that night, Claudia combed her closet for the perfect outfit which she found in the form of a navy blue suit. She chose her accessories and went to bed feeling confident about her first meeting as head of the Sci-Crime Lab.

Claudia spent the morning working on an outline for the changes she proposed for her department, then tried to eat some lunch.But she was too nervous. She had heard how formidable Assistant Director Skinner was and she was determined to show she could handle this job just as well as her former classmate, Danny Pendrell had. She double checked everything and called Kim Cook to make sure the equipment she asked for would be in place by this afternoon.

Now all she could do was wait.......

2:50PM Skinner's Office

Kim was putting the finishing touches on the conference table. A screen for Agent Martin's presentation was positioned so everyone could see it. Copies of documentation of the related crimes nationwide was at each place along with a note pad, pen and glass. Carafes of ice water were placed at intervals in the center of the table. When she was satisfied, Kim asked Skinner if there was anything else.

"No." he smiled at her efficiency "Looks like you thought of everything."

The participants were just filing in as Kim came out to her desk. Agent Martin was at the rear. As she entered the office, its occupant was talking with some of his agents. Claudia noticed the pinstriped jacket the leather desk chair wore matched the trousers of the only man in the room she hadn't met yet. Agent Riley came over to her.

"Let me introduce you to the Assistant Director before we get under way."

They approached him just as he turned to take his place at the head of the table.

"Sir, may I introduce Agent Martin?"

Claudia froze. "Oh shit." She'd never be sure if she whispered it or just thought it but, either way she wished the floor would open up and swallow her. The man she strove so hard to impress was the same man she'd mouthed off to yesterday.

"Sir." she managed to choke out as she offered her hand. He shook it, leveling her with a piercing gaze.

she thought.

After a somewhat stilted start, Agent Martin warmed to her subject as agents asked her questions. It was only when Skinner asked that she felt challenged. But,after what seemed an eternity it was over. As the room cleared she quickly packed up her laptop, hoping *not* to be the last one out. She thought she'd made a clean escape when she heard his voice.

"Agent Martin, a moment please."

"Sir?"

"Are you still analyzing the evidence?"

"Yes Sir."

"When you get something definitive--anything, bring it to me ASAP."

"Of course Sir."

"And I don't mean dropping it off with Kimberly. I want it, OK?"

"Yes Sir." she nodded as she slipped out the door.

Skinner sat at his desk going over his notes from the meeting. He found himself thinking about Agent Martin. Not so much about her presentation, which was thorough but, about the woman herself. Big bruising field agents quaked at the thought of incurring his wrath so it was no surprise she was nervous about today after their first encounter. He certainly hadn't made it any easier for her. He had asked the tough questions of a stern taskmaster. He didn't usually make people squirm unless he had good reason. And if he got right down to it, she had acted correctly in not allowing him in the crime scene. So, why had he behaved that way? He had no answer, except the resolve to make it up to her the next time he saw her.

 

August 27, Thursday

His chance came a few days later. It was 6:00PM when Claudia brought a folder jammed with the results of her meticulous research. Kim had left for the day and the connecting door between their offices was open. Claudia came over and knocked on the frame.

"Agent Martin, come in." he stood indicating the sofa. She sat down while he took the matching chair. She set the folder down and started to open it. He stopped her.

"Before we go any further, I'd like to talk about that day at the crime scene."

" Uh oh,I was waiting for the other shoe to drop." she said closing her eyes.

"Do you think I'm angry with you?" he asked.

"Aren't you?" she returned.

"No, and you were right. I shouldn't have gone any further."

She visibly relaxed.

"That's not all. I knew who you were when we were introduced. You had no way of knowing I was the same person from that day. I should have said something. Your presentation was difficult but, you did a good job on short notice and I should have told you that then."

"Why are you telling me now?" she asked, a little confused by what sounded like an apology.

"Because I don't want you to feel uncomfortable around me."

He asked if she wouldn't mind staying and going over the information she'd brought him.

"No Sir, I don't mind."

"This is quite a lot. I told you to bring me whatever you had."

"I know but, one thing led to another and I realized none of it would make sense unless you saw all of it."

"So you've solved the case." he said smiling,hoping to put her at ease like he should've at their earlier meeting.

"No. I can only prove what happened and how. You and your agents have to provide the who and why." she smiled back.

The time passed quickly as they reviewed the material. Skinner stayed in the chair but, leaned toward Claudia as much as possible.

He checked his watch. It was almost nine.

"You haven't had dinner, have you?" he asked.

"No."

"Then would you like to get something to eat with me? I'm starved."

"Yes, I hadn't thought about it but, I'm hungry too."

"Good, let's go."

He grabbed his jacket from the chair and they walked around the corner to a coffee shop where he was greeted with familiarity.

"Come here often?" she asked.

"I have more dinners here than I do at home."

"Sounds like too many late nights to me."

"Story of my life." he laughed.

The waitress appeared and took their orders.

"What made you choose forensic science for a career?"

"I always liked detective stories as well as science and art. Now what other field could I have gone into that would combine all three?" she asked.

"None that I can think of."

"What inspired you?" she asked.

"Inspector Erskine of the FBI."

"Who?"

"Nevermind." he shook his head, happy their food had arrived cutting off the need to explain.He just wanted to enjoy the novelty of company with dinner. They talked in generalities as they ate. The waitress filled their cups repeatedly till Walter noted the time--it was past 11:00PM-- and asked for the check. Claudia reached into her purse for her wallet.

"What do you think you're doing?" he asked.

"Paying for my dinner." she replied.

He shook his head "I asked you out."

"OK it was your idea but, that doesn't make it a date." she argued.

"If it were, would you have gone?"

"I don't know, maybe."

"Well then, I'm asking you on a date for next Friday." he said,taking advantage of the opportunity.

"OK" she said.

That settled, they walked back to the JEH Building. In the lobby Walter pressed the down button for the elevator.

"I'll walk you to your car." he said in a voice that brooked no argument.

"You're not going back to work are you?" she asked, a note of worry in her voice.

"No, I'm going to lock up and go home. We can finish going over the files tomorrow at 10:00 o'clock."

Claudia eased her car out of its slot and as she turned toward the street, she caught a glimpse of Skinner before the elevator doors closed. He was smiling. She smiled back,waved at him through her sun roof, and disappeared into traffic.

End of Chapter One