Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Completed:
2005-04-20
Words:
2,716
Chapters:
3/3
Kudos:
17
Hits:
1,843

Rest In Peace

Summary:

Feedback: yes
Rating: FRC
Disclaimer: Only Morgan, Rain and the story belong to me, the rest belong to Joss and Mutant Enemy. Grr Arg.
Distribution: Sweet Delusions, anyone else ask first
Summary: Set about 21 years in the future. After getting a vision, Morgan Oswalt must help Doyle rest in peace.
Notes: I know that there isn't any C/D in this part but be patient, it's comming

Chapter 1: Part 1

Chapter Text

Rest In Peace
by Calandra

 

She didn't react when her bare feet touched the wet grass. Her pace didn't change at all. She raised her deep blue eyes towards the full moon. Her eyes widened and her mouth opened as she was taken over by a sort of holy rapture. She looked as though she was trying to kiss the sky.

She paused for a moment, never taking her eyes from the full orb. The wind blew through her thick, dark hair, caressing her soft skin. She let herself spin with the air currents. Her feet beat to the tempo of an ageless song.

She let the energy flow through her, control her movements. Her dance accelerated and laughter escaped her lips.

She never slowed her wild dance or joyful laughter, even when she heard more footsteps joining her own. Pounding the soft earth beneath them rhythmically. Red hair flashed in front of her vision and a delicate hand took her own, raising it towards the sky in tribute to their Goddess. They started to spin, joining both their hands. They giggled loudly, heads thrown towards the sky, twirling ever faster.

She suddenly felt her strength leave her. Her legs collapsed beneath her, no longer able to support her weight.

"Morgan!" her companion cried out, trying to slow her descent but only succeeding in being pulled down as well.

Morgan sat down on the ground, trying to calm the pounding in her head. The exhilaration of her sabat came crashing to an end with the scalding migraine.

Images flashed through her mind. People that she didn't know reaching for her, pleading. Somehow, for an instant, these people looked familiar. A dark haired woman caught her eye and her lips formed an unmistakable "help us". As quickly as they came, they left again.

Only when she had completely overcome the dizziness did she feel the arm surrounding her shoulder. She turned towards her friend, meeting her green, sightless eyes.

"Thanks Rain."

"What was that sister?" The other young witch asked, squeezing her shoulders.

"I... I think it was a vision."

"Against your will? Morgan, maybe we should talk to mother about this." Her words were soft as usual but her movements made it clear that this was not a request.

Morgan winced at the thought. "Would you believe that I did it intentionally?"

Rain would hear none of it and led Morgan towards the house; the later was still too weak to resist. Her steps were halting and for the first time she noticed the cold that assaulted her through her thin white dress.

She shivered and pulled herself close to Rain though she didn't know if this was due to the cold or the memory of her vision.

Morgan allowed herself to breathe more calmly when the house closed around her. She made Rain pause for a moment so that she could bask in the energy that permeated Willow Wood. She patted one of the walls affectionately; the protection spells that their mother had woven into their home lent her a sense of security that she sorely needed.

Rain started to pull her along again but Morgan shook her head, stopping her with a touch.

The simple motion sent pain flashing through her mind. She closed her eyes and swallowed. "No, I'll go alone. Go check on father; Xander always falls asleep. You'd probably make a better look-out."

She said the last lightly, trying to make her sister smile. Rain was quiet and shy, her sister's teasing seemed to be the only thing that brought a smile to her lips. Her pale face remained impassive this time however.

Rain's blank eyes bore into her, questioning. She rose a hand and gently caressed Morgan's cheek. Then, silently, she took the younger woman's hand and pressed the triple moon tattoo, which she knew to be there without seeing it, to her lips. Morgan returned the gesture and moved silently away. Some things went beyond words.

She heard their father growl as Rain great him and 'uncle' Xander startled awake. Satisfied, she slowly made her way to her mother's inner chamber.

She stopped in front of the door. It was intricately carved with runes of all types, she stared at them, unable to bring herself to knock.

There was one word that would open the door without invitation, she knew. Her mother had taught it to her before reminding her that it was only for an emergency. The spells cast in that room were vitally important to the survival of Sunnydale.

She spoke the word.

She didn't know why she had done it, why it seemed essential but she didn't flinch when she found herself starring into her mother's eyes. She knew she had done what was right.

Tara, Amy and Michael glanced at her but didn't move. Only her mother stood. At 40, she was a beautiful woman; her form was lithe, her hair flaming red and her smile easy unlike her stoic husband and daughter. But then Willow Rosenberg had always been beautiful.

"What is it Morgan?" She asked softly, an athame cradled in her hands.

"I had a vision." She didn't remember a time in her life when she had been so to the point; Xander must have been a bad influence on her.

Her mother nodded as if she had been expecting this for a long time. She didn't seem at all concerned and started to sit again.

Something within Morgan protested this simple dismissal. It raged, causing the pain in her head to flare up again. She lowered her eyes to collect her thoughts but suddenly they were snapped up again.

"Who is Cordelia Chase?"

Her mother froze at the question and the three other witches shifted uncomfortably. Willow stood up and glanced at the others, seemingly overcome with panic.

*** Willow carefully wiped the young woman's forehead. She was sweating and groaning with effort. Her yells of agony drowned out even Rain's cries.

She was young, still recovering from her own pregnancy not even a year ago, she didn't know how to help her friend. She felt so helpless watching this beautiful face twisted by unspeakable pain. Rain's birth had been nothing like this.

She watched the mid-wife work for a moment. The woman smiled, trying to look confident and reassuring but Willow could tell the smile was forced. She was as worried as the young witch. She turned when she felt a hand closing tightly around her own. She found herself staring into two dark, desperate eyes.

"Please, take care of my baby." She gasped painfully.

"Hush, Cordy, you'll be fine." She smoothed the wet hair and closed her eyes. She didn't understand how motherhood had created such a tight bond between the two formal enemies.

But Cordelia didn't hear, the only sound was the newborn's cries. ***

She nearly knocked over the candle arrangement in her hurry to stand. She crossed the room and stood before her daughter, wringing her hands.

"Cordy... Cordelia was a... well, friend I guess. We haven't seen her in years... it isn't important." She smoothed the hair out of Morgan's face and smiled, a shadow of her usual bright smile. "Your gift will improve, don't worry... What did I do to deserve two such wonderful daughters?"

A few instants later, Morgan found herself staring at the door once more, not reassured in the least. Something about her mother's attitude was off. An unfamiliar voice nagged at the back of her mind that she should not give up so easily.

She shook her head and tried to forget.

"Morgan Oswalt, you're jealous of your sister's healing touch so you have to become a psychic buddy?" She chided herself with a bitter laugh.

TBC