Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
269
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
11
Hits:
883

Daughter Of The Swarm

Summary:

tiny spoiler for _DISTANT DRUM_
note: this is a summary of something that's been floating in my head ever since the season finale first aired.

Work Text:

Daughter Of The Swarm
by rodlox

Tyr woke up. That was the first surprise: he was still alive, with no feel of larvae squirming within him.

The other not-quite-a-surprise was that he was surrounded by Magog . . . but they were keeping their distance, as though wary of something.

Focusing his eyes, he could see another person in the empty circle with him. Not Harper - it was Yvaine.

"Where's Harper?" Tyr wanted to know.

"Chatting with Breyon," Yvaine answered him.

Tyr narrowed his eyes, as though suspecting a trap. "I thought you said you'd never leave Midden."

_Where do you think you are now?_ Yvaine wondered. _Midden converted back to its original form - and the Drago-Kazovs were eaten alive._ "I couldn't let you die." _Besides, I have sisters who could stand in for me._

A Magog stepped up to them, and hurried away when Yvaine turned on it. Impressed, "You're going to have to show me how you did that," Tyr remarked.

Yvaine smiled. "In time, I promise."

~~

Yvaine watched him sleep.

There was a reason the Magog kept out of her way. A very good and simple reason: she was one of them.

The gods that her kin and basal Magog worshipped, they had seen how Magog stood out; and they had made ones who blended in. Camoflaged among the humans, among the others.

She, Yvaine Gwennensdottor, had nearly told Tyr the last time they were together. Almost, but not quite. Even so . . .

She would protect him, this Nietschian that she loved.

end.