Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
599
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
5
Hits:
961

Lights Out

Summary:

Something happens when the lights go out. Response to an Unbound Improv Challenge. First and last lines given with a thousand word limit.

Work Text:

Disclaimer: I do not own CSI, or any of its characters. CSI is owned by Alliance Atlantis, CBS, & Anthony Zuicker. I would however like to have Gary, Eric, George, & Billy under 'contract' :).

----------

Sara blinked at her styrofoam coffee cup, unsure exactly how to respond.

"What's going on between you and Grissom?" Catherine asked.

"What exactly are you getting at Catherine?"

"Well, for the longest time you two were really close friends. Then you two could hardly stand to be near each other. Lately, you seem to be ignoring each other completely.

"Don't you think you're exaggerating a little?" Sara asked.

"No I don't. You two barely even look at each other anymore."

"That's ridiculous Catherine."

"No, it's not." Catherine insisted.

"If you won't believe me, maybe you'll believe a few impartial witnesses."

Catherine turned to the other occupants of the break room.

"Oh no, don't look at me." Said Nick. "I am not getting involved."

"Warrick?"

"Sorry, Cath, but I'm with Nick on this one." Warrick said. "Besides, Sara & Grissom's personal lives, or lack there of, is none of our business."

Everyone looked over at Greg.

"Me?" Greg squeaked. "No. No way. Forget it."

"Be reasonable Greg." Said Catherine.

"I am being reasonable. There is nothing you can say or do to me that would compare to what Grissom would do if he found out I was gossiping about him. I'd be stuck in the lab until I'm 80."

"If you children are done, we have work to do." Grissom said as he strode into the room.

He tossed Catherine a folder.

"Catherine, you and Warrick have pair of floaters in the swimming pool at the Sands."

Another folder hit the table.

"Nick, you have a home invasion robbery. Take Greg with you."

"Alright!"

"Focus Greg."

"Sorry Grissom."

"Sara, you're with me. We have a smash and grab at a jewelry store."

Sara expected Grissom to comment on the break room conversation, but he was mostly quiet until they were driving back to the lab.

"So, what was Catherine saying that had you so uncomfortable?" Grissom asked.

"Was it that obvious?"

A slight smile pulled at Grissom's lips. "Only to everyone in a 5 mile radius."

"She asked me why we were ignoring each other. She thinks it's suspicious."

Grissom just sighed as he pulled into his parking space.

"Catherine thinks everything is suspicious."

Nothing more was said as they grabbed their kits, and headed back into the lab.

Later, Sara went to Grissom's office to continue the conversation.

"Catherine's right you know." Sara said as she strode into his office.

"You have been ignoring me at work. Why is that?"

"Well, it's just that I'm afraid that if I look at you, I'll start grinning like a love struck fool."

Sara smiled and moved toward him until they were only inches apart.

"And are you a love struck fool?" She asked.

He smiled into her eyes. "Of course I am, but they don't need to know that do they?"

They were interrupted by a loud thump as all the lights in the building went out.

Grissom seized the opportunity and pulled Sara to him for a passionate kiss.

The world seemed to drop away and neither of them even noticed when the lights came back on. Nor did they see Catherine standing in the doorway in shock as the clock on the desk blinked twelve o'clock.