Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationships:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 3 of Moving Day
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
1,102
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
17
Hits:
1,979

Roses are red

Summary:

Gibbs seeks parental approval

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

Moving Day - Part Three - Roses are red
by fanficwriter101

Saturday morning...

Tony groaned, turned over and blinked several times. The shower was... he looked at the clock and sighed. `Gibbs it is six o'clock!'

After a few minutes during which he tried and failed to go back to sleep, Tony heard the water turn off and the various sounds of Gibbs getting ready for the day.

Finally, he emerged, towel around his waist. `Hey.'

`It's still dark!' Tony protested.

`Yeah. Go back to sleep.'

`Every Saturday unless we're working, then it's Sunday. Where do you go?' A million and one scenarios, none of them good, flitted into Tony's fertile, if sleepy, brain.

Gibbs locked eyes with Tony for a long moment. `Can you be ready in fifteen minutes?'

Tony shot out of bed so quickly Gibbs thought there might be a hole in the sheet from the friction. He smiled and went downstairs to make coffee.

******

`Where the Hell are we?' Tony had drifted into a semi-conscious doze about an hour or so into the drive and when he woke he didn't recognize any of the road signs.'

`There.' Gibbs said, pulling the car sharply into a turning and slamming to a sudden stop.

Tony wondered what the heck the colonial-style building was. An hotel perhaps, or a...he stopped wondering when Gibbs got out of the car and strode towards the stone steps in front of the building and he had to hurry to keep up.

******

`Hello Mr Gibbs.' A woman Tony guessed was about forty approached and hugged Gibbs as if they were old friends.

`Hello.'

She smiled kindly at Tony and he looked quickly from Gibbs back to the woman, still clueless as to where they were. Or why they were here. `Hi.'

The woman nodded at the French windows. `Your Momma's already in the garden. You know how she gets as soon as it turns cold. She wants to make the most of the sunshine.'

Gibbs smiled. `Thank you Marcie. This is Tony.'

The woman chuckled. `Your Momma's talked about nothing else since you said you'd be bringing someone special.' Dark eyes appraised Tony until he was sure he was being x-rayed. `You mind your manners now honey.'

Tony gulped. `Yes Ma'am.' //Gibbs mother. I'm being introduced to...//

Gibbs slipped his hand gently around Tony's waist for a brief second, squeezing gently. `Ready?'

Tony nodded, words failing him.

The rose bushes were almost bare, just the occasional splash of faded pink or speckled cream showing they had been magnificent in the height of summer. A lone wheelchair, its occupant wrapped in a warm blanket and dressed in a thick jacket sat, book in hand, turned towards the doors they had just walked through.

`Momma?'

Jethro's mother looked up, her face lighting up as she closed her book marking the page with a bookmark. `Hello son.'

Tony felt a stab in his gut as he saw the affection the elderly woman - Tony guessed she was at least seventy - showed for her son. If his own parents had shown even a fraction of that he might have...

`Momma, its too cold to sit out in October.' Gibbs chided gently, leaning down to hug his mother.

Marcia Gibbs chuckled. `I knew you wouldn't be long. And it's not cold. Its crisp Jethro.' She regarded Tony intently, eyes narrowing. `Jethro, I left my other glasses in my room. Bring them would you please?'

Gibbs only just managed to restrain the groan at how blatantly his mother was getting rid of him. `Yes Momma.'

When the were alone, Marcia Gibbs asked calmly: `So you're the young man my son has taken a month to introduce to his mother, hmm?'

Tony forced his nerves down. `Yes Ma'am...Tony...uh...Anthony...Dinozzo.'

Marcia sighed. `Three wives, heaven knows how many...friends, and finally, after all this time, he has you. How long has it been? Two years?'

Tony frowned. `Two years?'

`You've worked with Jethro for two years.' Marcia's voice held just a trace of impatience.

`Oh, yes Ma'am.' Tony's mind drifted to the idea that Gibbs had been interested in him for...

`He spoke about you almost the first day you arrived. But my eldest son is...careful. He takes a while to get round to...things.'

Tony nodded, stunned by this revelation. `Yes Ma'am. Um...eldest?'

`He's the oldest. I have three other boys.' Marcia said, eyes watching Tony carefully. She knew why he had asked the question. Jethro didn't give anything away without a fight. Well, it wouldn't hurt to give the young man something Jethro clearly hadn't.

Tony smiled. `He never tells me anything.' Settling onto the bench beside the wheelchair, Tony wondered how far it was to Mrs. Gibbs' room. Quite a way. With any luck.

******

Gibbs wheeled his mother back to her room and she looked across to the young man walking beside her. `Anthony...I think I left my book outside. Would you see if you can find it please?'

Tony nodded. `Yes Ma'am.'

When they were alone Gibbs reached under the thick blanket covering his mother's legs and pulled out the novel. `Momma!'

Marcia Gibbs laughed. `If you saw it, he did too Jethro.'

Jethro helped his mother into the chair beside her bed. Unable to wait a moment longer, he demanded: `Well?'

Marcia looked up at her son, so anxious for her pronouncement. `He has nice manners Jethro.'

Jethro huffed crossly, folding the blanket he held. `Momma!'

Marcia reached up, taking her son's hand. `Are you happy darling?'

Gibbs smiled, looking down at her. `Yes.'

`Then you have my blessing.'

He smiled happily, leaning down, hugging his mother gently. `I'm sorry we won't give you grandkids.'

Marcia locked eyes with Jethro as he straightened up, frowning. `Do you really think that's what I care about? You should know better Leroy Jethro Gibbs.'

Chastised, Gibbs shook his head. `Sorry Momma.' He smiled suddenly.

`What?'

`Tony says I only call him Agent Dinozzo when I'm pi...uh...mad at him.'

Marcia Gibbs smiled. `What does he think of the boat?'

Gibbs sighed. `That I should pay someone to build it.'

Marcia smiled. `Do you let him touch it?'

Standing outside the door, Tony blushed at the question he had overheard. He relaxed when he heard Gibbs' answer. `Nah...he just gets to watch from the staircase. He watches TV and drinks beer and talks while I work on it.'

Marcia's eyes closed. Tiredly she whispered: `Bring him next time.'

Gibbs hugged his mother gently, dropping a soft kiss on her pale forehead. `See ya next week Momma.'



End

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author fanficwriter101.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.

Series this work belongs to: