Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
1,275
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
9
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
1,384

Case Closed

Summary:

The case was closed - Eric reflects

Disclaimers and Beta list can be found on my author's info page.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

~*~

With the final click of the mouse Eric had closed the case. He sat back in his chair staring at the computer screen, watching the little line blink at him. Then it hit him, everything – the pain, the grief, the loss.

The case had been stressful, difficult to put together, suspects, accusations; keeping them all straight had been difficult. It had kept him busy, kept him from thinking of the events that had taken place during the case. He had refused to go to the morgue, he just couldn't face what – who was there.

The shiver ran through him, the emotions that were once held back had coming to the fore front. The anger over what had happened, why it had happened. The feelings of betrayal that he had failed – he wasn't there; he didn't save him. The fear of what was to come. The pain of loosing someone close, closer than anyone had thought. No one would be there to comfort him, he was just a friend.

The case was solved, the victim spoken for – justice served. The criminals were behind bars, they would pay for their crimes, for the lives they had taken. But those affected were still left to pick up the pieces; pieces of shattered lives – lives that would never be the same no matter how much one wished or prayed.

He knew IAB would investigate police shootings and they tend to make people ask a lot of questions. He would not have 'his' name disgraced because someone asked too deep of a question. His secret would be safe with Eric.

Eric slumped in the chair, a tear making its way down his cheek. He wiped at it angrily, he refused to cry, not here, not now. Maybe later, when it was dark and he was alone. Then he could mourn…

"I can't believe you killed me!" The angry voice came from behind him.

Eric turned in his chair in shock to see Speed standing at the office door, "What?" He wiped away the shed tears.

Speed's voice softened, "Are you crying?" He stepped further into the room

"NO!" Eric stood up abruptly. "What are you doing home? Don't you have criminals to catch?"

"Came home to check on you," Speed explained, laying a hand on Eric's forehead. "You had a fever last night, and I wanted to make sure you were getting rest and drinking plenty of juices, and where do I find you?"

Eric looked guilty, "I was resting, just got up to check my email. Does Horatio know you’re here?"

"I can see that," Speed looked over at the computer, "You were playing that stupid forensics game that Tyler came up with, the one he added our likeness to."

"It's addictive," Eric mumbled as he headed out of the office.

"You're a CSI, you solve crimes every day and you want to sit on the computer and solve more?" Speed followed him down the hallway into the bedroom. "And don't think I'm letting go of the fact you just killed off my poor SIMS look alike."

Eric dropped his head another tear falling, "I didn't mean to, he didn't clean his gun."

Speed sighed, "I clean my gun, Eric, and you know this. You watch me every first of the month."

Eric nodded, tired and emotional. He had been sick for two days now and everything was just out of whack. "I know."

Speed pulled the younger man into his arms, "I'm here."

Eric leaned into his embrace, embarrassed by his emotional response to the stupid game, "I'm sorry, just the thought and then the game showed your autopsy and I …"

Speed smiled at him, "You're tired and sick – you're allowed to have slip ups such as getting me killed and emotionally loosing it."

Eric laughed as he got under the covers, "Would it make you feel better knowing that Horatio shot the bastard for shooting you?"

"I feel so much better," Speed leaned sat on the bed looking down at the Cuban. "Though seeing you all upset over my death is kinda touching."

Eric rolled his eyes at him, "So you have the rest of the day off?"

"Sorry, but no," Speed tucked him under the covers. "I told Calleigh I was getting lunch."

Eric laughed, "How many traffic laws did you break to get home?"

"Don't ask," Speed stepped out of the bedroom and headed for the kitchen.

He grabbed a bottle of water out of the fridge, and Eric's medication before he headed back into the bedroom. The two men had been in a relationship for over a year now, and only a few people knew about them – basically Horatio, Alexx and Calleigh. He had worried about Eric when he had gone into work; it was rare for Eric to be so sick.

So he basically snuck out of the lab to come and check on him, under the dguise of getting lunch, he would have to remember to grab something on the way back.. He had expected to see Eric on the couch either taking a nap or watching TV.

When he had come home to see Eric slumped in the office chair, hearing his harsh breathing he became worried. He then saw the computer game, it was showing a funeral – the words Rest In Piece Timothy 'Speed' Speedle ran across the screen. He couldn't believe Eric was a) playing the game and b) had killed him off. He was upset, but was more concerned over Eric's emotional response.

Speed set the water on the night stand, "Eric, come on you need take your pills."

Eric groaned, but sat up in the bed. He took the pills and downed the water. He set the bottle back down on the table, "I'm sorry."

Speed gave him a small smile, "You can make it up to me when you're feeling better."

Eric moaned his head hitting the headboard, "I hate being sick."

"Get some sleep, I'll be home later. Hopefully Horatio won't notice I was missing," Speed helped him back under the covers. He leaned over kissing Eric softly. "No more of that game, unless of course you want to kill off Stetler."

Eric chuckled, curling under the blankets, "My luck I'll get Horatio shot."

Speed laughed, "I promise I won't tell him." He kissed Eric on the forehead, "I love you."
Speed grinned at the mumbled returned endearment.

Speed closed the door behind him as he left the bedroom. He stepped into the office and turned off the computer ignoring the tombstone with his name on it. As he left the house, his cell phone rang.

"Speedle," Speed answered as he headed down the walkway to his bike. He blushed slightly, "I could have sworn I told Calleigh I was going out for lunch…Really over an hour…" Speed laughed, "He's resting now…I caught him playing that game Tyler designed, he had worked himself up…Seems my SIMS look alike was killed in the line of duty, he didn't take it very well…But on the bright side you shot the bastard who shot me…" Speed looked down at his bike. "Thanks Horatio that means a lot to me…I'll be back in thirty minutes…yes, with food."

Speed shut his phone and set it in his pocket. He started up his bike, and with one last look at the quiet house he took off down the road back to work. Because the sooner he got to work, the sooner he could get back home and Eric.

~*~

Author's Note:
I was actually playing the CSI: Miami PC Game when this small bunny was born.

 

 

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Bj Jones.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.