Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
356
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
14
Hits:
1,528

Unexpected

Summary:

Jeannie's sister's plan to marry an astronaut doesn't work out the way she'd expected.

Work Text:

Jeannii gazed into the mirror with disgust. How could she have let this happen?

It had only been meant as a ploy, a plot to steal Major Nelson away from her sister. But things had gotten out of hand before she'd realized it -- of course *he'd* wanted to, and she'd only done it because, darling, everyone was doing it these days. It was the Swinging Sixties after all. It was expected, if one was already engaged.

She considered her options, the most appealing of which was to take out her anger on her sister, Major Nelson, and Major Healey. Especially Major Healey. After tutoring her dimwitted sister in how to marry an astronaut, she'd been the one who'd almost managed it, although not with the man she wanted. And as part of her plan, she'd done everything typical of a girl about to be married, except for actually going through with the ceremony. (Not that it hadn't been fun, but Major Healey wasn't exactly her type.) At the time, she hadn't thought much about the consequences.. and she was regretting it enormously now.

Although, she mused, this might not be such a bad thing after all.

It could serve as a means of control -- human guilt was human guilt, and she could exploit that. And as long as her former fiancé wasn't planning to 'do the right thing', this could work out very well for her. If she wasn't going to marry him then, she certainly wasn't going to marry him now.

She might even be able to twist this around, and use it to get Major Nelson.

But it was a little too early for that. So she would bide her time, and wait patiently until things had progressed to their natural conclusion. And then she would blink herself back to Cocoa Beach and show them her unexpected surprise.

She looked back into the mirror, her hand resting on her belly, and for the first time since she'd realized what had happened to her, she smiled.

The baby was kicking again.