Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
1,086
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
6
Hits:
887

Seeing Something

Summary:

By FemailoftheSpecies
cafedemonde@yahoo.com
Disclaimer: Joss owns them
Distro: Mystifying Dreams, WWOMB, my Live Journal
Written for Swan-a-thon
Pairing: Spike/Faith
Summary: What happens if Buffy got called to go to the hospital before coming home and finding them in the basement?
Thanks to Jenni and Kat for the beta...you guys rock!
I hope you like, but won’t know unless you tell me. So feed me please!

Work Text:

'Don't even tell me little Miss Tightly Wound's been getting her naughty on?" Faith asked in disbelief.

Spike took a drag on his cigarette, shaking his head slightly. "Not of late."

"Wow...Everybody's just full of surprises," Faith mused.

"Including you."

She turned to him, licking her bottom lip. "Nothing surprising about me. What you see is what you get."

Spike let that thought marinate in his head for a while, enjoying the relative ease with which they spoke. The sound of a glass breaking upstairs jarred him from thoughts unbecoming to his soul.

"So what's really going on in the City of Angel?"

She shrugged. "My oh-so-wise, ex-watcher did the dumb and let Angelus out of his cage."

The blonde choked on the smoke he was inhaling before remembering his undead status and settling down. "The poncy watcher shagged Peaches?" That Angel could find perfect happiness in a male of the species was not very surprising. He had been perfectly happy with William for decades. He just never figured the brooding prick would do it with the soul.

Faith shook her head. "Not likely. I mean, don't get me wrong, I could easily see Ole Wes riding the bologna pony. But not Angel." She glanced around looking for a place to put out the cigarette.

He reached down on the side of the bed and handed her an ashtray, using the motion to cover his amusement at her naivety. For all her talk and seemingly wild experiences, she was just a baby, not unlike the rest of them upstairs.

"So..." He raised an eyebrow, waiting. She was still sitting under him, very close, and he took in her scent, so much about her revealed so easily in that one action.

She looked up, half-expecting someone to come to the door, finking to her because their real leader was gone. When no one did she sighed and faced him, suddenly looking into eyes that were too alert for her liking and remarkably blue. That he barely registered on her relatively weak slayer sense did not go unnoticed.

"I...uh..." She licked her bottom lip and shook it off. "We had to hunt him down and catch him. I'm big on the hunting part." She grinned, confidence back in place.

Spike nodded, knowing just what she meant. His hand going up and moving her hair from her neck startled her. Jerking away, she found herself caught in a grip steelier than she had imagined.

"And this..." his finger trailed over the bite, "...this is you being the prey, then?"

She shoved off of him, angry, but not enough to get up, move away from him. "Things got...crazy."

"As they usually do when you throw Angelus in the bloody mix," He affirmed. She was holding something back, but they weren't bestest buds so he was not in a position to call her on it.

"So why'd Giles try to kill you? I mean you are de-chipto now. No revenge for the big bad?"

"He did it because he loves her. Now she doesn't trust him." Spike smiled, looking upward. "I think that's punishment enough...for now." The last words were said as his gaze settled on her. Something in it had her wanting to go tell Giles...what, she was not sure. But certainly this vampire was not done with Buffy's watcher.

Then there was something else in his gaze that kept her right where she was, despite the small part of her that understood he was, perhaps, a threat.

"So you're all turning the other cheek," she joked, slapping his arm playfully. "Trying to earn your halo?"

Spike laughed at that. "Hardly. I'm just over it. And more patient than I once was."

There was the vague threat again if her mind worked that way. She got up, needing the distance from him for a moment, using the need for another cigarette as her excuse. Inside her jacket pocket she found the objects of her desire and lit one up, offering one to him. He shook his head, watching her puzzle things out.

"What was it like, when you killed that slayer...Wood's mom?" And that was something else for her to mull over, a slayer that had a kid. She sat next to him again. It was her way of convincing herself that she was unconcerned, about his past or her safety.

He had to give it to her. She was good at keeping him from getting to deep into her.
"It was heaven, perfection, death wielded by my hands." He took her hand in one of his murderous ones. "I enjoyed it all. The dance, finding her, befriending her, seducing her, and then terrorizing her. She was an amazing creature."

Their eyes were locked and she had to tear herself away, forcefully, painfully. Had he done all those things to Buffy as well, intent on killing her, but had fallen in love instead?

He continued despite her discomfort. "I'm not so sure how I feel about it now. I still feel the urge to kill, her, Buffy...you."

"So what stops you?" She refused to rise to the bait. That was a different Faith.

"Who says I won't, eventually, after the world is saved and all of us are in our proper roles again?"

The smile on his face was of little comfort.

"Why the game?"

"No game, pet. I'm invested in this." His arms motioned to the room, implying the house in general, implying their lives. "I have...passion for some of these people."

She tried, but could not turn away as he leaned in to her, his head tilted in that way that usually meant that he was curious, confused or concerned. She did not know any of these things, his quirks; she hardly knew anything about him that wasn't ugly and twisted and vile, but now she saw something in him and as he closed in he was becoming all she could see.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~
end