Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
579
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
7
Hits:
951

Open Doors

Summary:

I read Vesper's dark, dark fic last night and when I woke up this morning this was sitting in my head waiting to get written.

Work Text:

Open Doors
by Mandy Green


Harper was on his way to medical for his weekly check up when he heard the noise coming from the gym. Peering warily into the room he saw Tyr working out. *Trying to kill the equipment more like*, he thought as Tyr threw down, with one hand, a weight Harper wouldn't have been able to lift with two.

*Oh-kay*, thought Harper, backing quietly away from the door, *I think today would be a good day to stay well away from Tyr*. He continued on his way to medical, hurrying his pace a little: he was late already and he didn't feel like listening to Trance tell him about the need for regular check ups again.

Harper was about to stroll through the door and announce his presence when he heard Trance sobbing. *Crap! What's up with Trance?* Harper didn't like dealing with people when they were upset. He wasn't good with emotions. Deciding that Trance was a friend and that the owed it to her to try to cheer her up he moved towards the door. Only to stop short when he heard Beka's voice making comforting sounds.

Sighing in relief he moved away. *I'll come back later and flirt with her a bit. She can giggle and brush me off and it'll make her feel better*. Harper thought. He was at a loose end so he decided to go to the command deck to see if Dylan wanted anything done. He passed Rev meditating in the observation deck and waved. Rev had his eyes closed and must have been deep inside his own mind because he didn't react to Harper's presence.

The sight that greeted him as he stood in the doorway of the command deck sent a hot spike of pain into his stomach. Dylan and Rommie wrapped in each other's arms. Dylan's arms around Rommie's waist, her head buried in his chest as he whispered into her ear.

Harper retreated to engineering, he didn't feel like working so he sat in the X-1 and brooded. He knew Rommie was in love with Dylan, and he knew he'd never had a chance with her, but. it still hurt. Brooding got boring after a while, *I dunno how Tyr and Dylan can spend so much time doing it,* he thought, pulling himself out of the X-1.

Deciding to find out what had upset Trance he made his way back to medical. The lights were dim and Harper could see that there was no one there. He was about to leave when he saw the covered shape on the bed. A shape that looked too familiar, and horribly wrong somehow. Harper reached out a hand to pull back the sheet from the face of the body, but before it had got even halfway there a small hand wrapped around his wrist.

"Don't Sae, you don't need to see what's under there."

Harper looked down at the girl by his left side. "Siobhan?"

"You know what's under there anyway. Don't you?" Declan's voice came from his right.

Harper sighed, "Yes, I know. So what happens now?"

Siobhan slipped her hand into his as Declan rubbed his arm. "It's time to come with us."

"Where?"

"Just through this door." Siobhan smiled again and pulled Harper into the light.



The End