Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
1,841
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
8
Bookmarks:
3
Hits:
2,059

Memories 2: Remembering Memories

Summary:

Fandom: NCIS
Pairing: Gibbs/DiNozzo
Rating: PG - This part, next Part will be higher rated
Series: Memories
Category: Drama, Angst
Summary: Tony has amnesia... now what?
Spoilers: Maybe, not really, I don't think so, but if there are, they are for Season 1
Disclaimer: I don't own them... Duh! If I did this would be happening on screen not on my computer.
Notes: Okay so I've only seen 6 episodes, but when the heck has that ever stopped me, I've tried to keep it purposely vague any actually details, so there are as few mistakes as possible... I hope...
Also in part one, I wrote Morrow instead of Marrow, I'm a dunce, *shrug*, thanks to fanficwriter101 for pointing it out to me
Warnings: I don't think so, no, this part has a happy ending... (mainly because Kel threatened me with harm if it had anything less than.)
Word Count: 1,827
Date: 03-01-05
Beta: Nope
Archiving: Yeasureyabetcha

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

Memories 2: Remembering Memories
by Kez

 

"Do I know you?"

The words stung deeply. Gibbs had to physically restrain himself from being sick. It was like he was in the twighlight zone.

"Hi Tony..." Kate stepped in, taking up the slack where Gibbs had gone silent.

"Ah..."

"Kate. We're friends, we work together." She said, smiling at him as assuring as she could be.

"Oh Hi... sorry I... the Doctor told me I'd hit my head I... I was at work, at the PD, and we were interrogating a suspect and then... I was here..."

"Tony you've been working with us at NCIS for three years." Kate explained.

"Three years... I... who..." Tony pointed in the general direction of the others.

"Oh of course, sorry. Jethro Gibbs, he's our boss, Abby Sciuto, and Donald Mallard, but we call him Ducky." Kate introduced each of the others.

"Hi... I guess." Tony said, apologetic.

"I don't want Mr DiNozzo over loaded with information all at once, so perhaps you'd best all come back tomorrow." The doctor said.

"Ah... Kate..." Tony called as the Doctor lead the others, including a still silent Gibbs, from the room.

"Two minutes." The doctor warned.

"I... that guy Gibbs, you said he was our boss?" Tony asked.

"Yeah." Kate confirmed.

"We... were we..." Tony sorta shrugged and nodded in what Kate assumed was his way of asking if they were anything more than just co-workers or friends.

There wasn't a person at NCIS who by now didn't know of Gibbs and DiNozzo's relationship, but unlike most of the gossip mongers, Kate, and the others knew the truth... but it wasn't her place to tell Tony anything.

"I think you should asked Gibbs about that." She told him, giving him a brief hug before she left... it occurred to her that Tony hadn't seemed uncomfortable with the hug, even though he didn't remember her... maybe the memories were there below the surface, and he just couldn't reach them yet... she hoped so, and she hoped he'd be able to reach them soon.

~~~~~

Once Gibbs forced himself over the initial reaction of Tony's memory loss, he began to really think about what it could mean... it could be a clean slate... Tony would never have to know what a cad Gibbs had been... but of course Ducky put that idea out to pasture by pointing out that Tony needed to recover his memory to adequately do his job, or he'd only be in further danger if any old enemies were to show up.

"Jethro, be there for him, that is all you can do, when and if Tony regains his memories it will be his choice what to do about your relationship, but for now just be his friend." Ducky suggested patiently.

And damn Gibbs hated that he was right, but he was, Ducky always was, Gibbs was sure he did it just to annoy him.

~~~~~

Tony was, within a week, and for the most part, aside from the obvious confusion and frustration of the memory lose, well enough to be released from the hospital, but the Doctor was reluctant to send him back to an empty apartment.

They had all spent their free time here over the last week, telling Tony about various cases, things that might job his memory, Abby had even brought in a few pictures, but nothing seemed to job his memory.

Gibbs managed remarkably well, given that he hadn't been eating properly, and only barely sleeping, but he managed to act reasonably normal around Tony.

He told Tony about some of the cases they'd worked together, told him how his favourite sports teams had been playing, wining and losing, and brought him mostly up to speed on world events... very carefully leaving out all references to their more personal relationship... it wasn't that he didn't want to tell Tony, it was that he didn't want to have to explain the break-up, and his own insecurities, and realizations that he'd been a complete and utter cad.

So when the day came the Doctor was finally willing to, under supervision, release Tony, Gibbs volunteered.

After all he had a house, with three bedrooms, and plenty of room... at least that was the logic he gave the doctor, his other thought was that his house might jog some of Tony's memories, memories no amount of pictures, or stories would jog.

~~~~~

Kate drove with Gibbs to get Tony, but she quickly declined the offer to come in, saying she had to get back to work.

Gibbs just shrugged. He wasn't all that bothered honestly, but the back-up would have been nice because he had a horrible knot in his stomach, that wasn't going away.

Tony looked around Gibb's living room, and kitchen, he had a nagging sense of the familiar, but he'd been getting that all week, familiarity, but no clear memories. It was beginning to drive him a little crazy.

"I'll make dinner." Gibbs said.

"You can't cook." Tony replied.

Both men froze... it was like déjà vu all over again.

"I... how... I don't know that, but I..." Tony gasped confused.

Gibbs gave an unsure smile.

"Well your right, I can't cook, and you do know that, or you did, before you took your head-dive."

"I remembered that... I remembered something." And Tony was grinning and it was the first real smile Gibb's had seen since he'd woken up.

Tony was so damn pleased with himself he hugged Gibbs.

Gibbs bit his lip and used every last piece of willpower he had to stop from going to far... the feel of Tony hugging him though was almost too much to handle... it had been only a few weeks but it felt like a life time since he'd felt the other man so close and it drove him to the very edge of his control.

"I'll cook." Tony announced letting Gibbs go, and practically bouncing around the kitchen in search of food.

Gibbs went as far as the living room couch before his legs gave in he crashed down, trying to regain control of himself.

Tony for his own part wasn't immune either, he may not remember anything, but he knew, he just *felt* that their hug wasn't the first time they'd been that close... and maybe closer.

Gibbs was glad Tony had cooked, because Tony wasn't wrong when he said Gibbs couldn't cook, at least nothing more complicated than a microwave could manage.

It was almost funny, he was as technologically defunct as they come but he lived out of his microwave.

Gibbs was relieved when Tony finally tired. He pointed him up the stairs, and told him to take the third room on his right... it was Gibbs own room, but it was the only one with a queen sized bed, the other room had a twin bed, so he was taking the guest room himself which Tony was here.

Tony got his sense of Déjà vu again when he went into the bedroom.

He'd been here! Damn it he knew he'd been here, why couldn't he remember!

Tony spent a few minutes looking around, hesitantly poking around in the drawers as well.

Nothing jumped out at him, and he was tired, so he finally gave up and stripped down to his underwear, falling asleep as soon as his head hit the pillow.

/"Oh God... just... oh."

"So good..."

"Yesssss!"/

Tony woke up, sweating, and hard... he'd just dreamed... oh God, what a dream... about Gibbs. Was it real? Was he just desperate and horny? Damn it he wanted to know, he needed to know!

Getting up Tony forced himself to calm down, waiting until the action in his boxers had lessened before he left the room.

It was almost all dark in the house but there was still a dull light coming from the living room.

Tony found Gibbs sleeping, sitting up, head back and tilted to one side, on the couch, infomercials playing on the TV that was the only light source in the room.

Tony forced back a gasp... of all the things that would bring back his memories, the sight of Gibbs sleeping on the couch, mouth open, and five o'clock shadow, was the one thing he'd never have imagined, but it was the one thing that worked.

It was like lightening and Tony had to clutch the back of the couch to stop from falling.

His movement woke Gibbs, but Tony was so deep in, invaded by a million flashes of memory all attacking him at once, he could barely breath. Gibbs grabbed him, forcing him to sit, holding in close and trying to talk him back to reality as best he could, but it was a good ten minutes before Tony was cognisant enough to speak.

"I... I remember..." he murmured, his voice was shaky and he was still buried against Gibb's neck where the older man had been holding him.

Gibbs just nodded, but didn't let go, waiting to see what Tony would do now.

"You dumped me." Tony finally said. It wasn't anger, or hurt speaking, just fact.

"I'm an idiot." Gibbs responded.

"Why?" Tony asked.

"Why did I finish things with you? Or why am I an idiot?"

"Both." Tony said.

"I'm an idiot because I finished things, and I finished things because I'm an idiot." Gibbs voice was almost wry.

"Tony I don't know what to say. I guess I got scared, and I acted like an idiot. When you got hurt... Tony I don't want to loose you, and it scares me that I might some day, and that I might be the one to send you out some day and you might not come back. I know it's the nature of the job but it doesn't make it any damn easier to stomach." Gibbs said.

"I'm a big boy Jethro, I chose this job, I knew the risks, and I chose you, and I knew the risks of that too..." Tony said.

"I'm sorry." Gibbs sighed, because he was tired, because he knew that right here right now was the time and the place and if Tony walked away from him it was all on his own shoulders, none of the blame could be placed on the younger man, because it was Gibb's own stupidity that had led them here.

"Jethro... I love you." Tony murmured, kissing the side of his neck softly.

And that was it, that was all he needed to hear, because Gibbs knew he was an idiot, but Tony knew that, Tony remembered that, still loved him anyway, and forgave him for being an idiot.

"I love you too." Gibbs said, moving until he could reach Tony's mouth, and kissing him, just enjoying the moment, and the feelings, and he knew that possibility was still there, that one of them could get hurt, one of them might not come home again, but they had now, and that was something.

 

TBC... (no it's not finished... haha... you wish :-P)

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Kez.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.