Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Character:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Completed:
2004-12-29
Words:
8,946
Chapters:
11/11
Kudos:
24
Hits:
6,604

Friends With Benefits

Summary:

RATING: FRC now, FRT-13 to FRM later.
CLASSIFICATION: Buffy/Spike, Buffy/Angel friendship, alt reality; also Anya/Xander.
SUMMARY: Buffy gets to relive one event knowing what she knows. But does it really make a difference?
SPOILERS: The series finale of BtVS; the corresponding season finale of A:tS. This alt universe now takes place the day before the ep "Crush" takes place.
DISTRIBUTION: Any sites with my fic up; you all have unspoken permission. I write it, you can post it. Everyone else just keep my name on it and let me know.
DISCLAIMER: If you don't recognize it, chances are it's my own creation. If you do, I don't own it. Joss Whedon, Kazui Sandollar, The WB, UPN, et. al. most likely do.
FEEDBACK: Please send it offlist and let me know it's feedback; I do rapid delete on my account due to a lot of spam.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: Answer to challenge to #288 at the now archive only You Got The Stones (http://www.four-am.com/stones - but it's still awesome so check it out). Previous parts at http://www.panthermoon.com/sct/unfinished.html

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Chapter 1: Part 1

Chapter Text

Friends With Benefits
By Ragna
(writingGoddess@aol.com)

 

Buffy tried so hard not to stare behind her as she ran up the stairs. He was down there killing himself, making himself one firey sacrifice for her and all the Slayerettes. Did she even deserve it? She knew they did, but did she?

She wanted to stop and stare and let that fire consume her too, or go back and grab his hand and tell him to fuck off, that she'd be there with him in the end. She didn't want to leave him.

But he told her to go. She was going to go. Maybe she'd see him again.

Doubtful. But as long as there is hope, there is...hope.

***

364 days later

***

"That's still one big hole."

"It's creepy, that's what it is." Willow rubbed her arms. "I'm just glad everyone got out of there okay, you know?"

"Yeah," Xander said. He laid down the bouquet of roses he'd brought with him.

"I'm sorry," Willow said hastily. "I forgot..."

Xander shrugged. "She's probably in heaven annoying the angels or in hell irritating the Devil, but I like to think either way she's happy. It helps."

Willow grabbed his hand and turned towards the third member of their rememberance trio. "Buffy? You okay?"

It was Buffy's turn to shrug. In the last year she'd withdrawn even more than when Angel had left. This was a new Buffy, one who was tough and a taskmaster on the outside, training all the new Slayers that came to her. Faith even broke her jaw and Buffy didn't flinch. She just put a hand out, stopped training, and walked to the mirror to asess the damage. Then she went back to training.

But on the inside she was a hollow shell. She wouldn't even open up to Angel, as much as he tried. He threw all the resources he had at his disposal to help the remaining Slayerettes, setting them up in Los Angeles to work with him and his crew, and as much time as he and the others could to get the others to heal physically and emotionally. But while Buffy was as strong as ever, she was closed so tightly nothing was going in or out.

They all knew what caused it. No one mentioned his name, though. As much as it must have killed Angel, he never pressed for information about the two of them so he could help her. Everyone, eventually, just left her alone.

"Buffy?" Willow called. "We're ready."

Buffy looked up. Her hair was dark brown now, cut short again. Buffy wanted a change, and this one was severe. "In a second."

She finished writing the words in the sand, then scuffed them over with her boot. She'd written what amounted to the largest question in her life: why?

"Good-bye, Spike," she said softly, kicking some of the sand over into the gaping hole as she turned to leave.

"I don't think so, love," she heard softly in her ear.

"Spike?" she asked, whirling around.

"Say something, Buffy?" Xander asked.

"No. No, no...nothing."

TBC