Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
642
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
13
Hits:
1,350

Believe It Or Not

Summary:

You might think that Yami isn't afraid of anything. Well, you'd be wrong... Believe it or not, Yami is afraid of...

Work Text:

Believe It Or Not

"I don't believe it," Yugi said flatly. "Believe it." "I don't believe it," Yugi repeated. One eye twitching, Yami repeated, "Believe it, Yugi." "I just don't believe it," Yugi said again. Irked beyond belief at the circular turn this conversation seemed to be taking, Yami said, tone just as flat, "Whether you believe it or not, Yugi, doesn't make it any less true." "B-but...you can't be!" Yugi declared, sounding more as if he was trying to deny it than that he was sure of his position on the matter. Sighing, Yami pinched his nose between his thumb and forefinger, something that was supposed to stop an incipient headache. Like all those old wives tales, it didn't work. "I am, Yugi. And you need to accept that fact and move on," Yami stated plainly. "I just don't believe it," Yugi said dazedly, dropping down to sit on his bed. Looking up at his other, he said slowly, each word measure in an even tone, "You...are afraid...of cats?" Yami nodded. Jumping up from his recently sought perch, Yugi strode over to Yami, got right up in his face, arms waving wildly, and demanded, half-beseechingly, half in an almost blind rage, "YOU'RE AFRAID OF CATS?! I thought you were supposed to be some kind of extremely powerful ancient Pharaoh who controlled Shadow Magic and the powers of darkness! How can you be afraid of cats?" "I just am," Yami replied Sounding as if he was pleading with him for it not to be so, Yugi said, "You're Egyptian; didn't they worship cats?" Mouth twisting up in a grimace, Yami said, "Oh, and people have never feared 'the almighty wrath of the gods'? Bastet may have been a fertility goddess, but she could be one vengeful bitch when she was pissed off." Dropping to the floor and burying his head in his hands, Yugi implored any deities that might have been listening - feline or otherwise - "Why me?" Shrugging as if disaffected by his hikari's pain - and really, Yugi was being much more dramatic than the situation warranted; it wasn't the end of the world, after all - Yami said, "Life's a bitch." He gave a dark laugh and added, "And then you die. Like me." Whimpering and rocking back and forth, Yugi mumbled, "Not only is my yami a scaredy-cat - literally - but his sense of humor borders on the sense of the darkly ridiculous!" "I'm a yami; you were expecting light-hearted humor?" Yami asked, smiling slightly. Resisting the urge to glare at his smirking other, Yugi said sweetly, "Oh, look. There's a kitten behind you." Yami's eyes bugged out; the crimson orbs rivaled an anime character's for size. He tensed, and seconds later had climbed Yugi's bookcase and was perched precariously on its stop, six feet from the floor. "WHERE?!" he demanded, simultaneously trying to look in every direction at once and squeeze his eyes closed from the horrific sight he was sure to see. Needless to say, it wasn't working. A slow smile spread across Yugi's face as he watched his Yami whimper in terror as he clung to his wooden life preserver. This could be fun... Because, believe it or not, Yami wasn't the only one who liked playing 'games' with people...