TITLE: What sound does a breaking heart makes?
AUTHOR: Willie J aka Lemonychocolate
EMAIL: wmj166@yahoo.com

ARCHIVE SITE(S):
http://parrot.nearheralways.com/index.php,
http://www.brain-insane.com/beyondcanon,
http://www.adultfanfiction.net

FANDOM: Buffy the Vampire Slayer/Angel the Series

PAIRINGS: Buffy/Angel to start, then progresses to Angel/Xander

RATING: R for now then NC-17

DISCLAIMER: I don't own any part of Buffy et all, not Angel the Series.

FEEDBACK: Oh please send me feedback, privately or through the list

DISTRIBUTION: List Archives

SPOILERS: Btvs S3

BETA'D BY: James & Kris (Fabulous people! Simply marvelous!)

SUMMARY: Giles tells the group of a coming horde of demons that to defeat them will require Buffy to be much more than a ordinary Slayer. There's a spell that will allow her to become such a Slayer, but there's a price to be paid.

A/N: Very much A/U...Faith never slept with Xander; the mayor's ascension will NOT be happening.



What Sound Does A Breaking Heart Make?
By Willie J aka Lemonychocolate


Xander splashed cold water on his face in the boy's bathroom, then regarded himself in the mirror and wondered if he looked as dispirited as he felt. And one glance gave him the answer: Hell yeah!

He sighed and shook his head sadly. Well Harris, when you wanna screw up, you certainly don't wanna waste too much time, do you? He sneered into the mirrored brown eyes. Now cover up that beaten down look, march out there and show Sunnydale High that Xander Harris is still on top of his game. Then he gave a firm nod to the unsure boy and waited.

Right! I'm gonna march up to Ms. Cordelia Chase...and keep right on walking rapidly past her, with a wry grin before pushing away from the sink.

And grabbing his books, he made sure his clothes were adjusted properly. After all, no need for anybody to see the most recent bruises darkening his arms from last night's little rumble or better known as getting his ass royally beat down. Maybe I could try to see if Giles has time now to teach me the fine art of self-defense. Or better yet, maybe I should con Queen Margaret, I mean, Wesley, to teach me some moves. I need to start calling him by his name or I might just slip and it’s Bye Bye Bruce Lee, Welcome Back Gumby. And with a sigh he headed for his fourth period class just as the bell rang outside.


Pausing briefly outside the library doors, he strongly resisted the urge to slink into the room when he saw Oz and Willow at the table. Bursting into the room, he grabbed a chair and gave them his best winsome smile.

“Howdy folks...” he tossed off a smirk and saw Willow smile briefly before a cool glance from Oz made her smile wither and cast confused eyes down at her laptop.

“Hey Xan, missed you at patrol last night,” Faith nodded at him with an amused smile.

“Sorry, I had to stay home.” He replied briefly and his lips tightened for a second as he met Oz's unreadable expression before he looked away. Straight at the sight of Buffy and Deadboy canoodling up the stairs by the racks of books.

God somebody really needed to hose those two down, preferably hooked up to a nice fountain of Holy Water. They were so sickening sweet it was enough to turn his stomach and speaking of stomachs....

“Hey G-man, you got anything to eat in here beside tea and scones?” he looked around as Giles and Wesley came out of the elder Watcher's office.

“Xander, please don't call me that...” Giles requested with long suffering patience and Wesley hid a tiny grin behind his hand. Faith didn't bother to hide her chuckle.

“And no, I don't have anything to eat. Why don't you go and get us some donuts or something?” Giles requested as he pulled out his wallet. He missed the brief flicker of hurt cross Xander face, but Wesley and Faith frowned.

“Donuts? Did somebody say donuts? Xander, if you're going to get donuts, could you make mine one of those powered jelly one? With raspberry filling?” Buffy pulled away from Angel's lips to call down to him.

Willow looked up from her computer. “Mmmm, donuts! Get me anything chocolatey!” she exclaimed eagerly.

“Xander, why don't you make a list? You don't want to forget our orders,” Oz slid a his words in smoothly watching Xander flush with anger.

“Yeah, why don't I just do that?” Xander sneered at the shorter boy.

“What a capital idea, Oz!” Giles looked enthused at the young boy's suggestion.

Wesley looked at the senior Watcher in mild disbelief before looking away. “Why don't I accompany you Xander? I still would like to get acquainted with your charming town.”

“Yeah, I'll go with,” Faith jumped off the table and grabbed her jacket.

Giles looked up and protested, “No, you two are needed here. I have something I need to discuss on a prophecy that I recently ran across.”

Xander froze for half a second before continuing to rise from his chair. “That's okay you two. Maybe you can come on another donut run with me.” And there was a slight note of bitterness to his words that made Angel look at him sharply.

“But I insist upon accompanying you.” Wesley voice was firm as he walked to the double doors.

“What he said,” Faith added, smoothly sauntering after them.

“But we need to discuss this prophecy.” Giles took off his glasses and rubbed tiredly at his eyes.

Faith shrugged her shoulders, unconcernedly. “Well, if it's that important then I guess them donuts can wait, ya think?”

And something, some unnamable emotion flashed in the dark Slayer's eyes caused Giles to flush.

“Yes, yes, of course you're entirely correct,” Giles replied hurriedly and unnoticed Oz's eyes shifted to wolf then back to human.

Unnoticed by all except Angel, who regarded the young werewolf thoughtfully.

And he was growing increasingly disturbed by the anger he smelled. From Buffy he had heard about Xander and Willow’s rendezvous when Spike had kidnapped them. But he had also thought the two friends relationship had begun to mend from it’s near fatality, especially considering the endless amount of amusement Buffy seemed to find in the situation. From the things she said it was simply a cause of enjoyment and both sets of couples were doing okay.

But now that he thought about it, the sharp-tongue cheerleader hadn’t been attending the meetings in the past few months after recovering from her near fatal plunge. And from the smell Oz was giving off, the slight boy hadn’t definitely hadn’t forgiven Xander. Angel shook his head, perhaps he needed to mention the werewolf’s hostility to Rupert, since it may prove to have disastrous consequences for the annoying boy. A were's anger towards a human was not something to ignore.

And resolved to have words with Giles, he took his seat around the table as Giles began to speak.

“I've not been able to decipher the entire prophecy due to it's rather obscure language. However, what I have been able to piece together is this prophecy refers to some sort of Super Slayer being created from the union of a Protector...meaning you Buffy. And considering the advent of the Gn'aesh demons, this couldn't come at a better time.” And Giles peered at his Slayer indulgently, who flushed with pleasure.

“And, of course, the dark Champion. A demon warrior...meaning Angel.” This time his voice flattened disagreeably despite Buffy's squeal of joy.

Wesley frowned and hesitantly spoke. “Are you sure that the prophecy relates solely to Buffy? How sure are you that it doesn't refer to Faith?” Not that he would have his Slayer involved with a vampire. He shuddered, that was just...wrong!

Giles took off his glasses in exasperation, he was becoming heartily sick of the young man constantly questioning his methods. “Because the prophecy refers to each one of us: The demon Champion of both light and dark; the Witch of new beginning-Willow; the Seeker of Knowledge-me; the abandoned Heart-I would imagine refers to Xander; the manbeast would be Oz; and the hidden Protector-meaning Buffy, of course.”

Buffy clutched at Angel's arm. “Does this mean were going to be together, like forever?” She looked at Giles in hope, hardly able to believe that she and her honey could be together. Forever.

“And what about my curse?” Angel looked embarrassed to speak of such a private matter, despite the fact that everyone knew about Angelus.

“Apparently, there's some provision of some sort within the prophecy. Which is why I feel this prophecy relates directly to our group.” Giles regarded Wesley with a stern look though with a secret, tiny smile of triumph. There could be only one powerful Slayer at a time and he intended to make sure that Buffy was that one Slayer!

“We simply must research until the prophecy is deciphered. That is where mainly I will be needing the services of both Wesley and Angel since you two are the most adept at ancient languages. You children will be pressed into service, hunting down books, scrolls and so forth for us.”

Xander looked sourly at Buffy and Deadboy. After everything Angelus did to them, they get to be happy?! What about his happiness?! Didn't he get a chance too? It was official: the universe was definitely out to get him. A couple of lousy, well not exactly lousy but a couple of kisses with Willow and it beat down on Xander year. Yet Buffy allows Angelus to kill, torture, terrorized the entire town; AND she runs away, comes back, hides ole Broodboy, lies and STILL gets to be happy! There absolutely no freakin' justice in the world.

“Xander doesn't appear to be happy about something,” Oz voice was low and quiet but Xander flushed as everyone's eyes turned to him.

And Xander quickly plastered a fake smile on his face. “Nah, I was just thinking about my Chemistry test two days from now. Oh, that reminds me, Willow could I borrow some of your notes? Like, maybe all of them for some seriously intense cramming?” And he gave her his best puppy dog eyes.

“Oh, but I was gonna ask to borrow them!” Buffy immediately protested, turning pleading eyes on their red headed friend.

“Hey there missy, get in the back of the line and besides, I asked her first!” Xander replied sharply. “Anyhow, you can always get G-man to help you cram before your test, your's ain't for another three days.”

Willow looked torn and bewildered at the twin pleading expression on her friends faces. While Wesley's was simply puzzled.

“Well....Buffy really needs the help,” she said hesitantly and immediately felt guilty at the flash of disbelief on Xander's face. Then a blankness descended on his face and she wanted so badly to take back her words, but Oz squeezed her hand warningly. And Willow looked down at the table to avoid the triumphant look on Buffy's face as well as the look of betrayal on Xander's.

Angel's brows rose in astonishment at the slight Willow gave to Xander. Obviously things had gotten far worse between Willow and Xander.

“Excuse me Miss Rosenburg, while I do realize that these are your notes, but Giles does your Slayer really need that much time to prepare for a test?” And his tone casts serious doubts on the intelligence of the blonde Slayer.

“You go too far, Mr. Wyndham Price,” Giles stated frostily while Buffy frowned. “At least my Slayer is getting an education and attends school,” he added waspishly.

“Hey, that was an insult, wasn't it?” Buffy demanded to know.

Angel got up from the table, briefly assuring Giles that he would start researching tomorrow night and left the warring group.

Xander jumped up from his chair at seeing the younger Watcher flinch and Faith get to her feet threateningly. “Dudes! It's okay! I'll get through the test okay! Seriously.”

Wesley looked at the young man consideringly. “I must say, I did rather well while at school, I’m pleased to say. I am quite sure that chemistry follows the same rule here in America as England. I would be honored if you would allow me to help you prepare. I know of some mnemonics that may prove invaluable tools.” He offered tentatively and was glad to see the slight smile cross the boy's face. When he first arrived, he didn't think he would fit in with the Sunnydalers, they appeared to be such a cohesive unit.

“Where do I sign up?” Xander laughingly, slinging an arm over Wesley’s shoulders as they walked away.

“Hey, what about me?!” Buffy pouted, looking extremely upset.

“Hey B, you got Red's notes, so use 'em,” Faith gave her sister slayer a cheerful glance over her shoulder and sauntered after the two males.


Xander, for the first time received a B+ on his exam; Buffy received a D-; Oz managed a B- while Willow soared with an A.


He burst into the library, flushed with triumph and success. “Ladies and Gentlemen, drinks are on me! Wesley, I got Geometry and Biology that I'm seriously in extreme need of help.” He grinned cheerfully.

But Wesley looked regretful as he shook his head. “I'm truly sorry but I really must begin training with Faith.”

Faith raised a brow at the flicker of disappoint on the Xander’s face and felt a spurt of guilt. “Hey, why don't you train with me? Then after, you two can do all that schooling shit, ya know?” she drawled out huskily, flipping a stake end over end.

Giles heard Faith’s offer as he came out of his office. And seeing Wesley nod in agreement, he made his way over to the younger Watcher. “Do you really think that is wise?” he spoke quietly and at the man's blank look clarified his words. “Splitting your resources and attention away from your Slayer.”

Wes blinked, then his brows rose, “You don't train them in self defense?”

“Certainly not! I find it difficult enough just to get Buffy to pay attention and to train.” Giles snorted and then frowned at the look the younger man gave him as if he had somehow disappointed the junior Watcher in some way.

“Perhaps I've misunderstood things,” Wesley replied without his usual hesitant manner. “These young people risk their lives on a nightly basis with your Slayer. A female endowed with superior reflexes, strength as well as rapidly healing powers. While they are purely mortal, with all the usual human frailties and you don't train them how to protect themselves?!” and his final words rose in a near shout before he spun away angrily.

“Xander, Faith let's go! The atmosphere is here has become quite stifling,” and with a final blistering glare at the flummoxed Giles he hustled the two away, muttering about ‘doddering old fools’.


And air between the two Watchers became decidedly frosty after that, especially after Giles tried again to dissuade Wesley from teaching Xander self-defense. Then Buffy decided to stick her nose into the affair, naturally taking Giles side, while Willow hesitantly tried to smooth the strained atmosphere rising between everyone.

Even when Xander regretfully stopped taking lessons from Wes to ease the situation, it still did little to lessen the mounting tension. Which erupted one day when Buffy accused Xander of starting the trouble in the first place. Unfortunately, she did this in front of the dark haired Slayer who proceeded to tear a strip off the blonde Slayer. Which led to the two Slayers settling in a knockdown, drag out fight. A fight that Xander and Angel, who had just arrived, found themselves strangely in tune with each other as they attempt to pull the warring females apart.

“What the hell is going on?!” Angel yelled at Faith.

“Why don't you ask little Miss I Gotta Be Number One!” Faith roared back.

“Me?!” Buffy screamed, and only Angel's arms prevented her from attacking the dark Slayer again. “All I said was the truth: that Giles and Wes are pissed off at each other because of Xander. If he hadn't ran whining to Wes to teach him how to fight instead of Giles then they wouldn’t be fighting. Which, I might add, is the Damn Truth!” Buffy yelled breaking away from Angel and getting into Faith’s personal face.

To which the dark haired slayer responded by shoving the smaller girl back. “You're such a fuckin' idiot! Who the hell did you think he would ask first?! The Tooth Fairy? Of course, he asked your lameass Watcher first, but he's too busy training your stubborn ass to help Xander!” Faith shouted back angrily.

“Well, of course he's helping me first! I'm his Slayer so naturally he would want to train with me first. And besides, why the hell would Xander want to learn how to fight? That's my job!” the blonde whirled around to storm at Xander.

“Our job, you mean!” Faith said coldly. “And besides, we fight demons not humans at least that's what they tell me.”

And by this time Xander was sure that running around school naked would be less embarrassing especially with Deadboy...he blinked, puzzled. Hey, did Deadboy just look at me sympathetically?

“Buffy ENOUGH!” Angel roughly shook her when she went to take a swing at Faith. And his expression was unmoved at the look of shock on her face when she whirled around to look at him.

By this time, Giles, Wesley and the others had entered the library.

“Angel?! Surely you're not taking their side?” Buffy gasped in astonishment.

Angel sighed wearily. “All I'm saying is that if Xander wants to learn how to defend himself and Wesley has the time to teach him, it's their business. Not yours, not mine. THEIRS.”

“But it's making Giles look like he doesn't care!” Buffy voice rose in protest and Giles flinched as Angel flicked a cool sardonic look at him.

“Buffy we all know that Giles cares and where his priorities lie.” Angel's voice was quietly noncommittal but the diminutive blonde relaxed and smiled up at him.

“I'm glad you agree,” she stuck her tongue out at Faith, who made a disgusted face at the two of them. A Slayer and a vampire, for Chrissakes!


It took several more days of intense researching and deciphering by the older members before Giles felt that they had the whole prophecy deciphered.

Sitting at the library table late one night, while wolfOz sleep in the cage, Giles exclaimed softly, drawing Angel and Wesley's attention.

“That's it...” and the librarian scrambled on the table for a book. Flipping through it and writing something down, then studying what he had written.

“Come on, man, speak up!” Wesley burst out impatiently.

And Giles at first smiled then frowned unhappily before he reluctantly spoke.

“Essentially, the prophecy states that the oldest must join with the youngest and untouched among our group. Meaning Angel, who happens to be the oldest must have sexual congress with our youngest virgin. The joining will father a power that will produce some sort of Ultimate Protector.”

Angel choked and rasped out hoarsely, “I have to have sex with a virgin?!” His voice rose in horrified disbelief then he and Giles exchanged very unhappy looks: Buffy was definitely not going to like this.

“Unfortunately yes, which rules out Buffy,” Giles replied sourly and Wesley hid a smile of unholy amusement. The blonde Slayer was going to have kittens over her precious vampire getting a leg over someone not her!

“So that only leaves Willow, I believe...” Angel sighed softly. And in the cage, wolfOz eyes slowly opened.

And Giles joined him in looking depressed, though of course Angel had much more practice at looking brooding. “I very much fear so.”

“And once we have s...this thing is done,” Angel couldn't even say the word 'Sex' and Willow in one breath. “So once it's done, how will the power be transferred?” he managed to choke out. He was not liking this part of the plan at all and he was becoming increasingly unsure whether he wanted to be joined with Buffy. Especially for eternity.

Giles rummaged through the papers littering the table until he found the one he sought.

“Ah...here it it,” and he thrust the paper at the two other men.

Wesley frowned heavily just looking at the components of the spell. “Giles, while I am more than happy to help but this spell requires a great deal of power for a single person to handle.”

“Not if there were two or more people casting the spell.” Giles replied smugly with a significant look at Angel.

“Willow?! But she's just a novice. Are you sure she's able to handle this amount of power?” Angel asked softly with a frown.

“Quite sure. I've been working with her for months to increase her spell casting abilities. They tie in quite nicely with Buffy's slayer powers,” the senior Watcher replied as he began gathering up the papers.

And the younger Watcher’s face was unreadable as he looked at Giles. “But you didn't have time to teach Xander self-defense?”

“He had no useful...” Giles began to reply absently before he caught himself. “I mean to say...I don't have to answer to you, Mr. Wyndham-Price!” Stiffening his back at the twin glares he received from the two men.

Angel looked at the senior Watcher in disgust and simply left, growing more uneasy by Buffy and her Watcher.

“I'm quite sure we both know what you meant to say, Mr. Giles.” the younger man retorted icily before he left as well.

Leaving Giles to storm into his office and noisily slam the door.

And there was a look of cold, calculated intelligence gleaming in the werewolf eyes before he closed them again.


“Oz! What's all this for?!” Willow exclaimed in pleased surprise when she walked into his house. He had caught her before her third period class and asked her to meet him at his house after school. She knew by the look on his face that whatever he wanted to tell her was serious.

But candles...flowers?! She gazed around her in open-mouthed awe.

“You like?” he smiled at her as he pulled her forward into the living room, where the table was set with uncommon elegance.

“Oooo, I definitely like! Is it for me?” she asked hesitantly, peering at him.

“Of course...” Oz kissed her gently, then harder as her mouth parted willingly.

And for Willow, it was truly a magical evening. One full of laughter and teasing kisses then slowly followed by rapturous joy. It was almost everything Buffy told her it would be and afterwards she lay panting breathlessly, heavily.

“Wow...”

Oz stroked his fingertips down a bare shoulder. “Wow? That's all I get?” he asked teasingly.

“Well, I would say more but...” and she blushed furiously, unused to pillow talk.

“Then maybe we should try again...” Oz breathed huskily before settling over her. And by morning, Willow had definitely increased her vocabulary skills.


Walking down the hall she ran smack into Buffy. Taking one look at Willow, the blonde Slayer hurriedly pushed Willow into the girl’s bathroom. Squealing with excitement.

“Omigod! Tell me you didn't do what I think you did? Tell me that blissed out look isn't what I think it is?” Buffy peered intently into Willow's instantly red face...”OMIGOD, YOU HAD SEX WITH OZ!!”

“Will you keep it down?!” Willow shrieked in protest as a couple of girls gave her amused looks and a few 'Way to go Willow!'

“How was it?” Buffy asked eagerly. She was nearly dying from sexual frustration. If it wasn't for Mr. Pointy being good for something other than staking vampires, she didn't know what she would do. She couldn't wait for the spell to kick in for Angel. She sincerely hope that her vampire sweetie tied her to the bed...and she flushed.

Willow sighed, her eyes dreamy. “He had candles, flowers and he even fixed my favorite meal. It was soooo romantic!”

The blonde regarded her friend with jealous eyes. “You lucky dog...”

“Don't worry Buffy, when we get this soul thingie done with Angel, you'll be the one getting...” and Willow voice trailed off in a furious blush as the other girl laughed at her embarrassment.

“C'mon Miss Priss, let’s get to class. And later Giles got something to tell us about the prophecy.”

“Oooo d'ya think...think that it could be about you getting pumped...pumped up to Super Slayer?” Willow asked in a breathless rush.

Buffy grinned modestly. “Yep, Giles told me a some of it yesterday. But apparently you had better things to do with your time.” This was said in a lofty tone that had Willow stammering apologies before she realized her friend was joking. And laughing she gave Buffy a smack on the shoulder before continuing to their classes.


On the other side of the school, Xander screwed up his courage once again and tried to approach the imperious Cordelia Chase.

She had reclaimed her position as leader of Sunnydale High fashion mavens, the most elite of cliques and her title as the most popular girl. And she had no intention of ever stepping back into Loserville again. Once was more than enough she thought with a shudder.

As Xander came closer, she tossed her hair over her shoulder. Then making sure that he was near enough she started speaking, “Orange checkered shirts are so....passee. Only losers or someone that does their shopping in the rummage bin of the Thrift Store wore...things like that.” Obligingly her Cordettes tittered on cue as they looked pointedly at Xander's orange checkered shirt.

And out of the corner of her eye she could see him slink away, like the dirty rat-bastard he was. Denying the twinge she felt in her chest at the closed, beaten look on his face. She blamed the pain she felt on her injury an injury caused by him at that slutty Willow. She was still trying to figure out a way to get back at that little tramp, Little Miss Innocent. HA!

With a final sneer at Xander's retreating back she stalked away with the long-legged grace of the super confident and chattered brightly with her scurrying entourage.


Xander darted into the boy's bathroom. Ignoring the other guys casting him sidelong glances of amusement and entering a stall, he simply withdrew inside himself. Trying to gather his already shaky nerves for another round of ignore the Zeppo. His mouth quirked, yeah despite his secret little adventure with Jack and the Zombies, why did he still feel so fuckin' useless? He proved that he could stand on his own so why the worthless feeling...better yet why in the hell was he talking to himself in the boy's bathroom? Then taking a few, unfortunately deep breath and grimacing at the icky smell he flushed the toilet and exited. Glad to see most of the other guys were gone but feeling uneasy at the sight of Oz washing his hands.

“Oz...” he nodded warily to the smaller boy as he washed his hands also. Wondering about the flicker of amusement on the other's face.

“Xander...” Oz replied smoothly. Struggling not to laugh at the confused look on the idiot's face. It took a great deal of self-control not to rip Xander's face to shreds but he managed, he wanted a better way to destroy his rival. Something that would haunt the other until the day he died...something the equivalent of pissing all over his enemy. And two nights ago he had found it, or he had overheard it. A way to totally destroy Xander, a way that would last forever in his rival's mind.

Perhaps when he was done, he would kill Giles as well he mused. The old fool thought him a tame wolf, to beg and sit up at his command. But soon the tweed man would slip and he would find that a werewolf's teeth were just as sharp as a natural wolf's and besides he was getting really tired of the old man yapping about his precious Slayer. Always wanting her to be the best, to be better than anyone else. Well, if the stupid bitch, no he wouldn't insult his canine sisters by calling Buffy a bitch. She was a slut, a little tramp that couldn't be bothered to pay attention to what was going on around her. All she wanted to do was party or dance the night away. If she paid more attention to working out, learning to identify demons instead whining about going to the Bronze then maybe she would be that somebody that people could point to with pride. But as it was, if he was lucky then Buffy the Vampire Layer would get killed by one of the demons she hunted so enthusiastically.

If it wasn't for Angel's presence she would probably have her legs spread by some stranger in the alley. She fooled everyone else, but he still had the senses of a wolf and he smelled all sorts of different men whose scents mingled with hers. Almost a different one every night ever since she came back from where ever she ran off to, but Angel's arrival put a stop to her party days.

“Uhm...Oz? Dude you okay...?” Xander asked hesitantly when the other became even more laconic than usual. But at least he was smiling a little, the taller boy thought. A weird smile that made you want to run away, a smile that was showing waaaaay too many teeth, but still it was a smile right? Right.

“Sorry...” Oz forcefully dimmed his smile.

“That's okay it's just good to see you smiling..” the other grinned. “Wonder what G-man all twigging to tell us, huh?”

“See me quiver...” Oz answer briefly as they strolled into the library.


Willow looked up with a smile that widened to see two of her favorite people talking all friendlylike. She felt like pinching herself even though Xander grinned and gave her the thumbs up behind Oz's back. And she also felt guilty because despite the way Oz treated him, Xander never told anybody that the last kiss, the one that almost killed Cordy was her fault.

To finally have the boy that she had spent so much time crushin' over to actually want her back, and slapping Cordy secretly in the face at the same time, was more than she could resist. No matter how Xander had protested, she had begged shamelessly for one last kiss, knowing that he wouldn't, couldn't refuse her. If they were going to part then she wanted one more delicious, forbidden Xanderkiss.

But they were found by the two people they never wanted to find out: Oz and Cordy. Though if she wasn't with Oz she wouldn't have minded Cordy seeing them like that but she didn't want the girl hurt. Emotionally hurt like the other had made her feel in the past but not physically hurt.

And when her vampself came to visit, she almost jumped for joy when she found out her and Xander were still together, though in a crazy vampirey kinda way. Though it was sorta scary to see herself as a vampire, but heck not many people could actually say they knew what they would be like twisted and evil.

She came out of her reverie at the sound of chairs being scraped as everyone sat down. Briefly puzzled at Angel even more broodyness. Sheesh! Does he ever stop?!

Angel had never felt more uncomfortable in his unlife. The only thing he could safely predict was that either Xander or Oz would seriously try to put a permanent end to his life or facsimile of a life once they heard what Giles had to say.

Giles cleared his throat unnecessarily as the attentive faced focused on him. “Well, we've finally deciphered the prophecy. And it appears that apparently part of it concerns Angel having sexual intercourse.”

There was absolute silence before Xander raised his hand. Giles sighed, he should have know that it would be the boy that would be the first to speak.

“I'm sorry but for some crazy reason, I thought you said Angel got to get a happy and considering how well that worked out last time, what with the terrorizing of folks and trying to destroy the world, I can pretty much say ARE YOU FUCKIN' NUTS?!”

Yep, right on time, Angel glanced at his wristwatch. Mt. Xander is starting to rumble.

“Oh, but there's more,” Wesley couldn't help but to add in an acid tone before Giles could speak. “He gets to have sex with a virgin: your very own Willow.”

“Oh, fuck me...” Faith breathe, her eyes growing wide, darting between Willow and a frozen face Angel.

Buffy's mouth dropped open in shock while Willow looked as if she was going to faint any minute now. The only two young people that were calm, oddly enough, were Xander and Oz.

“Excuse me...” Xander murmured politely, pushing back his chair. And there was something about the eerie calmness that had everyone's attention riveted to him...as he stepped into the weapons cage and selected a crossbow and arrows.

Buffy scrambled to her feet and over to him. Knocking the crossbow out of his hand with a hard blow.

“Are you out of your mind?!” she shrieked at him and shoved him hard against the cage. “I'm just as pissed as you are but do you see me trying to kill Willow? She's my best friend!”

“Sorry, but Angel's no friend of mine...” came his icy retort.

“You've always hated him and you'd like nothing better than to see him dead wouldn't you?!” she growled.

Xander looked down into her face. “I cannot tell a lie...” he intoned with mock solemnness. “And here's a new flash for ya...HE'S ALREADY DEAD!” he shouted at her then angrily shoved her back as well. “Just because you wanna be Ms. Super Slayer of 1999 it gives you no fuckin' right to sacrifice Willow's virginity on the altar of your holy cause.”

Then he switched his angry attention to a sputtering Giles. “So, I suggest you find another way that DON'T involve Willow to get Buffy her goddamn power boost!”

Angel looked closely at a white-trembling Willow then flicked a cold, deliberate glance at Oz. “They'll have to, Willow's not a virgin anymore,” he stated calmly.

Willow wanted to crawl under the table in sheer mortification as everyone's attention slowly turned to her. God, if she had known her de-virginized state would be the topic of conversation then she definitely would have waited...until she was at least 90 years or older.

“Willow, say it ain't so...?” Xander gasped in disbelief. And he skimmed his eyes over her as if he could see some visible evidence of her experienced status. Buffy swung around slowly as the bathroom conversation and Giles shaken expression finally filtered through her mind.

“Oh shit...” was all she could think to say as Giles sighed.

Then in the silence Oz spoke, “Does the virgin have to be a female?”

Giles snapped without thinking, “Of course it d...” and his eyes narrowed as he met Wesley, then Angel's eyes. Then six pairs of eyes rested on Xander. And one by one eyes slowly focused on the dejected looking boy.

Well, we can't keep them from growing up, Xander thought with a heavy sigh. Then he looked up and jumped out of his chair in surprise at all the attention focused on him.

“What...” he looked nervously around.

Giles decided to be blunt. “Have you had sexual intercourse with a female or a male?”

Xander blushed fiery red, “Well, I can definitely say 'Hell No!' to the male part of your question but being the gentleman that I am, discretion forbids me from naming names.” he replied winking at Giles, man-to-man.

“He's a virgin...”Oz stated flatly and his glittering eyes hidden behind lowered lids.

“What?! Are you kidding? I...I...uhm...I've...well, so what if I am?!” Xander retorted defiantly. “Just because I'm waiting...” and Oz's words sank with horrifying slowness just as Angel exclaimed 'Oh, hell no!'

And the room erupted in a furious uproar. Wes yelling at Giles; Buffy and Faith in a screaming match; Xander raging about perverts and child molesters which got Angel to finally starting sniping at the boy, his eyes golden in rage. The only ones not raging were a calm Oz and a terrified Willow.

She finally managed to find a coach whistle and blew it piercingly. Drawing everyone's attention and forcing a silence on the enraged participants.

“N...n...now let's...a....all s....settle down and...and discuss this...c...c...calmly and rationally.” She stammered under the weight of their eyes.

“Okay, I am extremely calm and very rational when I say my ass is not going to be used to give Buffy a power boost. End of discussion. Thank you and y'all have a good night.” And Xander's voice was absolutely flat. There was not negotiating when someone spoke in that frozen, level tone. His mind was closed, locked down and the key deliberately thrown away.

But still Buffy and Giles tried.

...they played on his desire to live...

He would move to another town.

...they played on the fact that Buffy saved his life...

He countered with that nasty case of drowning she had came down with when she was 16.

...they kept hammering at him; questioning his loyalty, his willingness to help; to fight the good fight and Buffy and Giles could see he was wavering as the others' looked on in stunned horror.

And Wesley finally came out of his shock. “Have you two gone totally mad?!” he yelled in sheer disbelief. “You two are trying to force him to have sex with Angel despite his repeated cries of refusal. Do you understand that what you are doing is tantamount to rape? Admittedly, you are not the one doing the shagging but you are still trying to pressure him and disregarding his protestations.”

“Buffy, I have no idea what the hell is your problem, but I am really starting to wonder about you,” Angel interjected quietly when Wesley paused for breath and Buffy looked as if she was going to blast the the younger Watcher.

Buffy twisted to look at him, her blue eyes wide in stunned wonder. “Angel...I'm doing this for us... for us to be together for always. Isn't that what you want? To be with me?” And tears gathered quickly in her eyes before she bravely fought them back. But Angel was unmoved.

“Buffy, what I want and what you apparently want are two different things. If the price for your increased strength is my raping someone, then I'm afraid that you're gonna be shit outta luck and you're going to have to remain a normal Slayer. I've come too damn far for my redemption to lose it again. And I won't, not for you, not for anybody. The price of being with you is a little too steep. Would I die a permanent death for you? Yeah, more than likely I would, but rape an unwilling person...a person that's is supposed to be your friend?! All for the sake of increasing your strength? Are you that that confused between me and Angelus?!”

Angel shoved his chair back angrily from the table and looked coldly at the distraught blonde Slayer and her Watcher. “When you have another idea give me a call, until then I think it will be best for me to stay away from you two for now.” Then he silently strode from the library.

“This is all your fault!” Buffy whirled on Xander, her tears drying up instantly.

“MY FAULT?! Because I refuse to peddle my ass so you can be Super Girl?”

“Xander if you would just be reasonable about this whole situation, I sure you come to see...” Giles began in his most soothing manner and came to an abrupt halt as the boy's face seem to turn to stone.

“Giles, you're been a man that I've respected for some time. Someone that I've looked up to and admired a great deal, but if you finish that sentence, I swear to God, I'll punch you dead in your face!”

“And I'll hold him for you,” Faith added fiercely to Xander.

“You stay out of this bitch!” Buffy snarled at the dark haired Slayer. Rounding on the other female and ignoring Willow's shocked 'Buffy!'

“Bitch?!” Faith leaned forward and hissed, “Bitch is a name I'll wear with pride rather than PIMP!”

“Tell me Giles, should something else comes along that requires another one of your charges to sacrifice something for Buffy's benefit what will you do?” Wesley asked in a voice of ice, coldly damning the older man.

Giles looked away and sighed. “Buffy enough! We simply must think of another option before the Gn'eash demons arrive,” he spoke wearily as he sat back down and slumped in exhaustion.

Buffy whirled around with a look of startled consternation on her face and a stammered “But Giles...” Giles met and held her eyes before she nodded almost imperceptibly.

“Xander, Wesley...you are both absolutely correct and I must sincerely apologize. My behavior today, my very words were all totally unacceptable. While I fear that I could easily attribute anxieties and my harsh words to the imminent arrival of the Gn'aesh but that is no excuse for my lack of judgment. I do hope that you will accept my most humble apologies.” Sincere regret was in his voice as well as his eyes.

Xander blinked, flushed with success at standing his ground. “Uhm...that's...that's okay. We all do and say things in times of stress that we don't really mean.”

He looked earnestly at the dejected looking Buffy and the remorseful Giles. “Look, I'm sorry that I was harsh with you but I have to draw the line somewhere. And my ass is where I hafta draw the line because I probably didn't mention this earlier or even tell you guys a long time ago but I'm not gay. I just never thought I would need to mention it. I mean, I'm gay in the sense that sometimes I'm really happy and usually laughing but not gay in the sense...that I really don't want to get into in front of the girls.” He blushed as he finished speaking.

“And you Wesley, do you also accept my apologies?” Giles questioned the other softly.

Wesley regarded him with no expression on his face. “Of course, I accept your apology in the spirit that it was given.” And Faith looked at her Watcher with narrowed eyes before turning her attention to the tweed Watcher.

I need to find a way to get rid of the interfering little git, Giles thought dispassionately. Once he's gone then we can re-apply pressure on the boy.

“Thank you...” he murmured before signaling that the meeting was over.


And it took him about five days to concoct an excuse to get rid of the younger man and his trampy Slayer. Then he and the others turned their attention to Xander.



Xander bounced cheerfully into the library, slowly down slightly at the cool looks that were directed at him. 'What did I do?' was his first panicky thought as he sidled into a chair.

“Ah Xander my boy, perhaps you might be good enough to fetch us some refreshments before the meeting?” Giles asked him calmly and disappeared into his office, returning with a small list that he gave to Xander.

“Uhm...sure...okay,” Xander replied uncertainly, getting out of his seat. He cast a beseeching look at Willow, silently urging her to look at him, but she kept her attention resolutely locked on her monitor.

And with dragging feet he left the library. When he returned 20 minutes later, they were still there but clearly whatever the latest big bad was had already been discussed and taken care of.

This became the pattern for the next several days as he was slowly but surely pushed out; made to feel invisible and unwanted. He tried calling Willow but she would just brush his worries aside before hanging up. Then he found it increasingly difficult to get ahold of her at home or find her at school. And Buffy, he shivered...there was definitely something wrong in that neck of the woods. There was just something...off about her. Her voice, her eyes...her attitude were really starting to freak him out.

But on the plus side, he was steadily progressing on the Cordelia front...Yea me! He was able to now get within three feet of her before she moved away AND her insults were losing their biting intensity. He rubbed his hands with glee...a couple more months of groveling and all would be right in the Xanderland.


A day later as he traversed the hallway to his next class he started getting an uneasy impression that something was decidedly out of place on him. A quick discrete check revealed that, yes indeed, pants were zipped, shirt was buttoned but still...

And he saw Willow at her locker and he hastily ran up to her before she disappeared.

“Willow, buddy, compadre...how's it hanging?” he asked with feigned cheerful enthusiasm

Willow started and silently cursed. Ooooh, they're gonna be mad at me, she groaned silently before putting on a smile. Distant, keep the smile distant, she admonished herself.

“Oh, Xander, I sorry I didn't see you...”

He looked at her with wide reproachful eyes and she had to steel herself not to give in. “Well, have you been getting my messages?”

“You know the routine...Oz, some afterschool stuff my mom got me down for...” she trailed off vaguely.

Oh thank God, she nearly yelled at the sight of Buffy and Oz approaching rapidly. This cloak and dagger stuff was just not something she was good at.

Xander's expression eased. “Oh...oh well then...what I wanted to asked you was...” then Buffy and Oz were on them.

And this time he was absolutely certain that Buffy was wintering in Iceland if the look in her eyes was any indication. Unnerved by her slightly frosty eyes, he stammered 'Hello' to the two. There were a few moments of silence and he wondered whether either would answer but then a greeting was reluctantly dragged out of them.

Then before he knew it, Buffy had slid between him and Willow, and Oz was disappearing rapidly around the corner with the red-head and then Buffy turned her back and was gone.


They just left him without even a word of goodbye and Cordelia frowned at the Scoobies increasingly odd behavior. Wondering what the hell was going on as she listened with half attention to the gossip Harmony was gleefully imparting to the group. But her attention was abruptly caught when the vapid blonde mention Xander.

“Back it up. What did you just say about him?” Cordy looked in total confusion at her friend.

Harmony quickly faked a sympathetic expression. “Oh, I'm sorry to have to be the one to tell you this. It's all over school: Xander's gay!”

And eagerly she waited for Cordy's reaction. However, peals of uproarious laughter wasn't exactly the response she was looking for.

“Omigod, that was a good one Harm! I haven't laughed like that since Trudy Stillwell wore that green mini-skirt two seasons out of date. The day I believe Xander is gay is the day that the entire Paris fashion show disappears in a giant sinkhole.”

“But it's true...” Harmony insisted turning to a couple members of the clique for support. And two members nodded their heads reluctantly.

Again Harmony put a sympathetic expression on her face and touched Cordy supportively. “I know that you probably don't want to believe it but...”

Angrily Cordy shook her hand off. “Personally I think it's somebody spreading a bunch of lies. They must have seen you coming and figured they had found their carrier pigeon.” And her voice was harsh with disgust.

Dear God, was this really what she wanted? To be back among these back-stabbing, fake-smiling wanna be? At least when she hung with Xander and the Scoobies, though she never could stand Queen B and that red-head slut, at least she knew they made a difference in peoples lives. But these, and her lip curled as she regarded her vapid followers, the only difference they made was in fashion. She eyed Harmony's outfit, and not a very good difference either.

“That skirt makes your hips look way too wide.” And she stalked away. She had some serious thinking to do.

Harmony blinked and closed her mouth. “She just lashing out,” she remarked sagely and the others nodded wisely.


But by the next day of people eyeballing him in the halls Xander had found out what was going on. And sick fury roiled nastily in his stomach as he stormed into the library.

“So, because I refuse to let your boyfriend, your undead, soul losing boyfriend fuck me, you're spreading rumors that I'm GAY?!” he shrieked at them.

Willow's head jerked to Buffy in shock. That wasn't part of the plan! Avoiding him, silently letting him know that he would be welcomed back with opened arms if he would just...just...do IT was the plan. Nobody said anything rumors and the spreading of said rumors of gayness.

“One: I have no idea what you're talking about and Two: I haven't been spreading rumors that you're gay!” Buffy began calmly enough but ended up shouting. Pissed that she hadn't thought of the idea. Because when he did...the deed with Angel he definitely was going to have to leave Sunnydale High or better yet just leave Sunnydale itself. Because there was no fuckin' way was she going to tolerate him in the same school much less the same town as her and Angel.

“Oh yeah?! Then it's a coincidence that when I refuse to have sex with Angel these rumors start floating around, huh? Yeah, right! You think I'm that stupid? That I don't know what's going on with you and your little silent treatment and avoiding me? I'm perceptive guy or did you forget? And my answer is still gonna be the same: No ass and no fuckin' POWER!” and he stormed out the library with one burning glare of fury at Oz and Buffy, then a final glare of complete disgust at Willow.

After he left, Willow had to ask. She had to know. “Buffy are you sure we’re doing the right thing?” She had been so sure when Buffy, Giles and Oz had presented the idea but now…

“Baby, don’t you remember what Giles said about the Gn’aesh? About how they breed? They’ll turn this town into their own personal hatchery and thousands of Gn’aesh will be loose on the Earth. So Buffy needs the power to stop them. This is for the greater good what we are doing so we don’t have time for Xander’s hangups, valid as they may or may not be. Not if we want to survive.” Oz’s voice was low and earnest, giving more power to his words.

Willow nodded, shuddered and refocused her attention on her laptop. And Giles met the young werewolf’s eyes. He never said anything about Gn’aesh overrunning the world, they would more than likely return to their home dimension once they had depopulated Sunnydale. And he realized the young man had his own agenda against Xander. That in spite of his seemingly laidback exterior, the boy seethed with hatred and animosity for the other boy.

And the two males shared a grim smile before Giles returned back to his office. As long as the boy didn’t interfere with Buffy receiving her rightful due then he would allow Oz to continue. He had no doubt that the boy was the one behind the scurrilous rumors. Soon, combined with the alienation of the boy and the rumors spreading about him, they would have Xander right where they wanted him: on his knees before Angel.


It took almost three more days of constant torment, jeers and lewd insults before Xander started really feeling the effects of the intensified silent treatment. Walking alone through the halls, he had never felt more terrified in his life, not even when Angelus brought his unique blend of terror to Sunnydale. He never knew when or where an attack would come as he stumbled over deliberately outstretched feet, shoved into lockers, pushed into cement walls or even punched viciously within a crowd.

He had even taken to bringing an extra set of clothes after some asshole threw a balloon filled with urine on him. Each day, the abuse got worse, stepping up in intensity. He drew in a deep shaky breath and fought back tears. God, all wanted was to be and feel safe again. And the only place where he found some measure of peace or security was at school or with Willow. He never knew how much he had depended on his friend to keep him going, or how the school had become a haven for him…but now, neither were safe places to be.

He didn’t dare go to gym class anymore, and he shuddered as he sat in his darkened bedroom, remembering the jeering faces, the hard punishing hands, the sea of sneering contemptuous faces…and the pain of meeting the wall with his face. Again and again before he managed to escape.

Unfortunately, the longer he resisted Buffy’s and Giles silent demands the harassment was only going to get worse.

Then he stiffened abruptly, straining to hear…was that a door slammed downstairs? Shit! He scrambled hurriedly under the sheet as he heard stumbling footsteps coming up the stairs.

“Boy in da bed?” he heard his father slur and began his silent litany of pleas and prayers: please let him go straight to bed…please God, let him forget he has a son…please God, don’t let him be mad...please don't let him have had a bad day at work…endless pleas that all too often fell on deaf ears and were never answered. Resulting in heavy skin-breaking blows with that long belt.

“Yeah, the lil bashard been up der alls day,” his mother muttered drunkenly before chortling at something his father did to her.

“Lil bashard betta get a GODDAMN JOB! I ain't payin’ for no fuckin’ freeloader,” the senior Harris roared and punched the wall. And in his bed, huddled under the covers Xander waited with terrified eyes. Once again reduced to a scared six year boy.

By day six, Xander was almost ready to give them whatever they wanted. He was so damn tired. He hurt in so many places and with bruises to match. It had gotten so bad at school that now he refused to go down the stairs if there was someone behind him. Especially after some anonymous person had almost managed to push him down the flight of stairs. And yet somehow, not one teacher ever saw a thing.

Condoms fell out of his locker, used and unused. ‘Fag’ and ‘cocksucker’ were written on numerous slips of papers and shoved into his locker, falling around him like confetti whenever he opened it. He almost had a heart attack when his mother yelled that he had someone on the phone. Thinking it was Willow or even Buffy calling to say they were sorry, he had ran down the stairs eagerly, only to slam the phone down again at the filthy, vicious words spewed from the other end. Then came the screams of laughter from the boys in the background. And his mother was steadily getting more pissed at the escalating calls, unfortunately being a recipient of one herself.

Then to see his name and phone number scrawled on the bathroom wall and written below ‘For a good time call Xander Harris, the cocksucker’ he had almost lost his lunch. He fled school for the dubious comforts of home, silently enduring his mother’s drunken rage and slaps before he was able to escape to his room.

He couldn't go anywhere at school without something, someone hurting him. On the way to school, rocks and used condoms were flung at him; he was slammed into the boys’ bathroom wall so he made sure never to visit any of them no matter how urgently he needed to go.

And he just…he couldn’t…he didn’t want to do what they wanted him to do, he just couldn’t! He wasn’t gay but if he did THAT with Angel, then he would be gay so he couldn’t do it but he had to do it if he wanted to be safe again. He knew that if he did...if he did what they wanted that it would stop, and he wouldn’t have to be alone anymore. But since he wasn’t gay, maybe the one time wouldn’t be the same as being gay so if he let Angel…do THAT to him it wouldn’t really mean that he was gay? Would it?


And Cordelia, coming back from a couple days in Vail almost didn’t recognize the thin, haggard boy he had become when she passed him in the hall.

“Xander…?” she half whispered, stunned by the changes of only three days. The white translucent skin, the nervous twitching eyes as if afraid of some unseen spirit, and considering that they lived on the Hellmouth, she was sure that it was entirely possible. Then her eyes narrowed on Buffy and Willow at the other end of the hall. The guilty look on Willow’s face, the cool look on Buffy’s face as they gazed at Xander, who had frozen at the sight of them. And she saw the tremor that seemed to ripple through him before his head shook and Buffy’s face became even harder before she grabbed Willow and walked away. And she almost missed the worried look Willow threw over her shoulder as she was led away from Xander. Then all three were lost in the crowd of students passing between her and them.

Whatever was going on, those two little bitches had something to do with it, and I’m gonna find out what it is. Nobody but me has the right to torture him, she thought grimly, stalking in the direction she saw Xander take.

But to no avail.

Exiting behind the school, Xander groaned and tried to run back through the door.

Too late!

And then they were on him, pushing him, shoving him brutally into the brick wall. Laughing at him, jeering as he fell to the harsh unforgiving cement surface with a stifled cry of pain from a heavy shove. And he felt the skin on his cheek scrape painfully against the ground.

He tried to get up and felt a foot come down hard on his behind, shoving him back down with a whoosh of escaping air. Gritting his teeth and ignoring the mocking, sneering faces surrounding him and he tried again to escape. Then, to his horror hands were fumbling at his pants, clawing at skin, pulling them down and he tried even more frantically to escape….

“Hey Harris, is that why you wear baggy pants? Makes it easier for you to take it up the ass, huh?” chortled one of the large boys encircling him, holding him down as he begged them to let him go.

Xander flailed about desperately, trying to get away as he felt his pants tugged to his knees and in numb disbelief he tried to deny what he knew the laughing crowd were going to do...

And never in his life was he more happier to hear Principal Snyder’s nasal voice screaming at everyone.


Sobbing for breath, he got shakily to his feet…only to meet Synder disgusted eyes.

“Understand this, Harris! The law says we have to let your sort into school but that doesn’t mean that I have to tolerated your disgusting practices. And if I ever see you behaving in such a fashion, corrupting decent God fearing boys with your filthy perversions, then not only will I have you expelled from this school but I’ll have you banned from every school in the county. DO I MAKE MYSELF CLEAR?!”

“But you…can’t….you don’t believe that I…” Xander tried to say, feeling sickness rise in his stomach.

“I know what I saw!” Snyder snarled into the boy’s face. “You on your knees with your pants halfway down your legs! Now get to class,” he harshly said and watched the kid flee with dark satisfaction. Then a nasty grin crossed his face as he marched back into his office. And pulling Xander's file, he called the boy’s father at work explaining exactly what he had seen and the consequences to Xander should he ever witness such an event on school grounds. Adding that perhaps the parents should look into a private school for their son.

There was an almost harsh silence at the other end before Mr. Harris responded. “I’ll take care of it and see that it doesn’t happen again.” After he had hung up, Snyder wondered about the look of terror in the child’s eyes, then shrugged it off. Mr. Giles had assured him that the boy was becoming increasingly unstable.

Xander ran home, struggling to control himself. He almost wished that he had given in to Giles and Buffy’s demands. The silent treatment was working extremely well, he giggled almost madly. Wasn’t he the one that told Jack that he liked the silence? Oh God, what was he gonna do? What was he gonna do? And he fell on the his bed, tears at last falling down his face.

There was no way that he could do what they wanted and hold his head up. But he also couldn’t take the hostile silence and their accusing eyes or the harassment anymore. And battered by the whirling emotional storm, the attempted rape at the school he cried himself to sleep.

And PAIN lashed him to full consciousness! Unrelenting pain flailed at him and he fell off the bed, curling up in a ball as searing agony flickered on his back. Again and again his back, arms, and legs felt the harsh caress of the leather belt his father brought down on him. He heard the hoarse panting words of fury his father kept shouting at him, “No, good faggot! I’ll beat it outta ya.”

Then the belt was abandoned in favor of a tried and true methods of punishing his son: fists.

For the first time in his life Xander tried to fight back, tried to defend himself. But he was fighting a loosing battle against both his father and that terrified little boy crouching in the corner of his mind. Whimpering in fear and trying desperately to protect himself from Daddy’s mad.

And finally Xander gave up, when something broke within him, that shattered into pieces as he simply curled up in a ball as fists and kicks thudded into his sides, legs and any part of his body left unprotected. Then the room was silent except for the senior Harris' harsh breathing.

“That’s probably why ya been hanging with those fuckin' girls all the time, cause ya ain’t nothing but a little pussy yerself! Well, not here and not in my house ya fuckin’ piece of shit! I shoulda beat ya outta ya momma when she first told me she was knocked up. I didn't want no damn snot nose lil brat running around behind me.”

He wiped his nose with a beefy forearm then pointed a thick finger at his cowering son. “But I’m gonna make a man outta ya if I hafta break every bone in yer fuckin’ body. No son of mine is gonna be some goddamn little fairy. I kill ya with my bare hands before I let that happen.” He turned and stomped out of the door, slamming it behind him.


And Xander simply layed there, in the corner, as he struggled to breath past the agony in his body, in his soul before inch by inch he gradually straightened himself. And nearly blacked out from the pain he felt in his back and sides. But slowly, as tears of pain fell unnoticed down his face, he made it to his feet. And with robotic remoteness, he lurched to the bathroom, pushing the pain back…far back into his mind. Holding on to the wall for support, he stepped into the cold enameled tub.

But no trace of pain showed on his pale face, frozen in shock. Right now he was beyond pain, beyond caring of everything. He just only wanted it to end.

He just wanted it all to...stop.

And with bemused eyes, he watched as the bloody water gradually became clear as pain slowly began to work itself from his tight stranglehold and back into his throbbing body. He whimpered through clenched teeth at the burning in his body from the belt and realized that he was only seeing out of one eye. Touching his cheek gingerly, he thank God that tomorrow started the weekend. He could rest.

Then by Tuesday, he would be safe from Buffy, from Giles…from everyone.


Harmony came running up to Cordy as soon as she drove up mid-morning on Monday at Sunnydale High.

Barely allowing the dark-haired girl to get out of the car, she exclaimed, “Did you hear what happen on Friday? Of course you didn’t you left early.” Harm laughed easily, moving back as Cordy swung her legs out of the car.

And strutting up the stairs, the high priestess of fashion attention was caught by Xander slowly coming up the sidewalk to the school. But there was something about the group of boys eyeing him that made Cordy…uneasy for some reason and she just wished that Harmony would shut the hell up! She eyed the stiff way Xander was walking...and what was up with the shades? Disturbed, she changed course to intercept him, remembering what she wanted to ask him on Friday and left Harmony with her mouth agape to tell Cordy her fascinating news. Huffing angrily, she scurried behind Cordy whose as long legs swiftly closed the distance between the fashion maven and Xander.

“Anyway, Buffy apparently beat Xander up Friday. Word has it that she caught him trying to put the moves on her boyfriend,” she chortled happily.

And Cordy froze. “Okay, now I KNOW that whoever is starting the rumors is lying. Xander would sooner see Angel permanently dead…HEY you leave him alone!” she screamed and took off running to help Xander up. Gentling her helping hands when he cried out hoarsely, and abruptly remembering the last them he said he threw his back out. Glaring all the while at the assholes that pushed him Xander and threw a poisonous, contemptuous look at Buffy, Oz and Willow who stood watching the whole thing.

“You low-browed, inbred, motherhumping bastards! You want to fuck around with someone I suggest you start with the Three Stoogies over there!” she yelled, pointing furiously at a suddenly angry looking blonde slayer.

“Yeah, that’s right, you dumbass bitch! Some of us actually use our brains and I know damn well that your lame asses is behind all of this shit!”

“Shut the hell up Cordy and stay outta this!” Buffy snarled, striding forward as finally Cordy got Xander to his feet.

“Or what?! Whatcha gonna, huh? Tell me, Buffy whatcha gonna do out here in broad daylight, with all these people around, huh? Yeah, I thought so!” And she smiled nastily at the frustrated rage on the Slayer’s face.

“And you, you little red-headed slut! You’re supposed to be his best friend! Let me guess, Buffy told you to treat him like shit and voila! You eagerly went along with her stupid ass idea like always, didn’t ya? God, you’re disgusting! I bet if Buffy told you to lick the shit outta her ass, you’ll have your face so far up there that’ll it be stained brown!

“Cordy don’t…” Xander voice was weary and he just wanted to get away from the gathering crowd.

“You don’t understand…” Willow whispered painfully, with tears in her eyes.

“Understand?! What the fuck is there to understand?” Cordy screamed at Willow despite the warning growl from Oz. “Xander is your friend. F. R. I. E.N. D which is something that your big brain shouldn’t have a problem spelling or understanding. BITCH!” With that last hiss of rage, she pushed her way through the crowd carefully towing the injured boy. Very much aware of Giles storming towards her and Xander with a furious expression. And with a sinking feeling, she knew that whatever was going on, he was involved too.

“Ms. Chase, you will report to Principal’s Snyder’s office immediately! Xander, you will report to the library AT ONCE!” Giles shouted as he finally reached them..

And Cordy flicked a glance behind the furious Watcher…

…to Buffy with a look of smug satisfaction on her face…

…to Oz’s whose lip was curled in a vicious grin…

…to Willow with her nervous, worried eyes...

Then her eyes lifted to the horrified gathering of Cordettes.

“Let me go, Cordy…” Xander pleaded quietly. Cordy twisted to look up at him and her eyes widened, his shades weren’t nearly dark enough, she thought distractedly.

“Xander honey, Mr. Kinnison doesn’t like shades to be worn in his class,” she replied absently still studying his face…and the bruised skin barely visible on his left cheek.

“That’s okay, I wasn’t going to be in his class anyway.”

“I’m waiting Ms. Chase,” Giles said coldly, his arms folded sternly.

And Ms. Cordelia Chase, without a flicker of regret burned her bridges. “You can kiss my Gucci ass, you English, tweed loving bastard. Now fuck off!” Then she carefully steered Xander to her waiting car, leaving a dangerously enraged Watcher behind.

“Where too…? Or are we doing the Thelma and Louise bit, cause I’m am so NOT driving my car off a cliff!” she stated emphatically as she peeled out of the parking lot.

“And you know that I want to know what the hell is going on, right?” she added, driving recklessly through downtown Sunnydale.

“Take me to the mansion,” Xander replied softly, leaning against the cool window and closed his eyes in quiet despair.

“Mansion? What mansion? You know somebody that lives…” and she broke off, remembering exactly who Xander knew, who they knew lived in a mansion…

“Take me to Angel.”



Chapter 2

Faith groaned at the sight of yet another magic shop. “C’mon, Wes, we’ve been traveling for six days looking for that damn Toucan root. Can’t we just, I don’t know, REST for more than one night? Can we possibly make it for two days? Dude, I’m even willing to settle for a day and a half of rest.”

And as Wesley spared her a glance over the roof of his car, his face softened. True, she was a Slayer but at the pace they were traveling, it would take far more that simple Slayer reknown stamina to keep up with the brutal pace. He regrettably had it much easier than she. All he was required to do under the Council’s edict was watch and take notes as she faced her demonic foes. Night after night.

She needed rest, they both needed rest in all actuality but she more than he needed to recuperate. And the only way for her to do so was by taking the time to rest.

“Why don’t you stay in the car while I inquire within…” he said soothingly. Smiling slightly at her look of refusal. “Really Faith, I shall be quite all right inside.” He smiled at her and saw the acquiesce in her weary eyes.

“Well, if you’re sure…” she replied slowly, looking at the lines that exhaustion had carved in his face. He needed to rest almost as much as she.

“I’m sure, now get back into the car while I see to the proprietor within.” And he watched as she got back into the car and tilted the seat as far back as it would go and closed her eyes.

Wesley sighed as he followed yet another dead end to find the, and his lips quirked, the Toucan root as Faith liked to call it. Then he sobered up, he really hated leaving Sunnydale. Leaving the boy all alone. He could only pray that he did the right thing, but then again what could he have done? Disobeyed the Council’s legitimate request?

Clearly there was an over abundance of Slayers in Sunnydale and it did make sense for he and Faith to traverse the countryside. Hunt down the various demons that were disturbing the local inhabitants. However, that wasn’t to say he had to like his order. He was…it just felt like too much of a coincidence that he received orders so quickly after that rather nasty quarrel in the library. He simply couldn’t shake the feeling that Giles hadn’t abandoned his plan. That the senior Watcher was still scheming to, as Xander put it, make his Slayer Supergirl.

He looked up as the elderly shopkeeper toddled towards him. “Good morning, sir. By any chance would you have Toupacan root?” he asked with little hope of a positive response.

And the old man smiled. “Why yes, I just got a shipment in this morning. I haven’t even had a chance to open the box yet.” He wheezingly laughed at the look of joy that transfigured the young man’s somber face.

“That is a bit o’luck!” Wesley exclaimed. Now he and Faith could return to Sunnydale. That was the only agreement he was able to wring out of the Council. That once he located the Toupacan root for Giles, he and his Slayer could return back to Sunnydale to continue ‘studying’ the methods of the existing Watcher/Slayer team.

The old man slowly shuffled into the back room, shortly returning with a medium size sealed box. “See, haven’t even opened it yet.” He announced waving a box cutter.

“Yep, not much call for Toupacan root,” he continued chattily. “Good thing it has a long shelf life, eh?” he eyed Wesley with knowing eyes. “This here is powerful stuff. Ya just don’t get many needs for Toupacan root. Why, I remember back in ’39…”

And Wesley sighed, well used to the routine after six days of visiting various magic shops…the older the owner, the more stories they had to tell.

He tuned back in, nodding at the right moments as he helped the old man open the box. Exhaling in relief at the unique sight of Toupacan root. Knarly, twisted about itself and colored quite vividly of dark maroon and a dark mustard yellow. After paying the man, he politely snatched the bag and swiftly headed out to the car.

Faith sat up with a jerk when Wesley tapped on the window and held up a brown paper bag. His eyes were glowing with triumph, they could go back to Sunnydale! She hurriedly unlocked the door and eagerly dragged the bag from Wes’ grasp.

Quickly readjusting her seat back to it’s proper position, she peered into the bag as Wesley turned the car around.

“That’s it? This is what we’ve been stressing out over?” she asked slowly, pulling the weird shaped plant out of the bag.

“Yes. Now it’s back to the hotel to pack our bags. Tomorrow it’s back to Sunnydale,” he replied with immense satisfaction.

“How come we just couldn’t use the one Giles has?” Faith turned the root over, trying to figure out which end was the top.

Wesley froze. “I beg your pardon? What did you just say?” And his words were very precise as he spoke.

“Why can’t we use Giles'? Is the one he has less…unusuable?” she glanced up at him, and was startled at the dark glitter in his eyes.

“That bloody rotter!” he snarled and slammed his hand on the steering wheel in rage.

“Uhm, I’m gonna take it that you’re pissed at the Tweed Man?” she looked at him warily.

“Toupacan root has an average shelf life of about 20 years,” came the cold precise answer and Faith blinked before her eyes narrowed.

“Those fuckin’ asswipes wanted us out of Sunnydale…to get to Xander.”

“Precisely...” His voice was icy with mounting fury.

He snatched his cell phone as they arrived at the hotel and quickly dialed a well familiar number, while Faith left hurriedly to pack her things. And when she returned, he was sitting on the bed, holding his head in his hands. The picture of despair.

“Wes, you’re starting to freak me out,” she exclaimed nervously. Wesley was always calm, while she knew that she was frequently much more volatile.

“We’ll keep each other company,” he said without lifting his head. Then sighing heavily, he looked up and Faith's fear increased twofold.

“Apparently there’s no indication that the Gn’aesh will be visiting Sunnydale anytime soon,” he spoke dryly before springing up and began shoving everything into his bags without a care.

“For some reason, I’m thinking that’s not a good thing though?” Faith started pacing.

“Very perceptive of you. Perhaps you should be a Watcher instead. While the Gn’aesh are not scheduled to put in an appearance, their long standing ancestral rivals, the Zynesh will be in Sunnydale to greet the Gn’aesh with bared swords.”

“But I thought you said the Gn’aesh weren’t going to Sunnydale?” she looked at him as they hurried down the stairs after checking out.

Throwing their bags into the car, Wesley said nothing for a few minutes.

“Zynesh do not like to be deprived of prey.” He finally replied.

And Faith’s eyes widened. “They’ll slaughter every last person in Sunnydale,” she whispered in horror.

“Most decidedly, and while Giles’ methods were deceitful and underhanded, we will need the Protector Buffy will become in order to live though this,” he sighed quietly.


They drove through the night, each taking turns driving until both ere literally shaking with exhaustion.

Wesley didn’t bother trying to call Giles again. Actually he couldn’t, after having broken his cell phone in a fit of rage earlier. He was still infuriated at the smug superior air the senior Watcher had taken with him, when he called to let him know that they knew what he was planning.

Gritting his teeth as he recalled how he had wound up destroying his cell phone.


Dialing to the library with fingers stiff with rage, he waited with seething impatience for Giles to pick up the phone.

“Rupert Giles…” came the quiet resonant voice over the phone.

And it took all of his strength not to fly into a blistering rage. “Ah Giles, it’s Wesley Wyndam-Price,” he instead replied smoothly, aware of Faith’s quick look before she refocused on getting them closer to Sunnydale.

“Wesley?! Yes, yes of course! How goes the slaying? Have you found a Toupacan root for use in the spell?”

“A rather amusing story, that. It seemed like every store we ventured to were all out,” he answered, gripping the phone tighter.

“All out you say? My word! I should have expected such an event considering the rarity of this particular plant.” But Wesley was able to hear the note of pleased satisfaction in the other’s tone. “I fear that you must continue searching, as it is one of the main ingredients in the spell.”

“Oh but, we don’t!” Wesley exclaimed with false cheer and Faith smiled.

“You…you don’t?” and this time he heard the surprise in the other man’s voice, he could practically see the look of consternation widening Giles' eyes.

“No, we just found it in a rather out of the way store. The shopkeeper just received it today! Isn’t that absolutely fabulous?!”

“Smashing…” Giles replied sourly.

“The funny thing is, that we wanted, that is Faith and myself wanted to know is why didn’t you use the one you already have? Faith recalled seeing it a few months ago and considering its potency life of about 20 years, it would seem highly impractical to have us chasing Toupacan root down if you already have a ready supply.”

And there was a harsh silence at the other end.

“Or perhaps there was another reason why you wanted us out of Sunnydale, hmmm? Could it be, perhaps you are still trying to boost up your Slayer’s powers? At the expense of a young boy’s innocence?!” By now Wesley was screaming into the phone.

“You bleedin’ pillock…you are barking mad!”

“How dare you speak to me like that!” Giles snarled.

“How dare I? How dare I not?! You know that I have you bang to rights, you smeghead! You are sacrificing an innocent in your lust for secondhand power. Xander has repeatedly, at great length, expressed his strong desire NOT to become Angel’s little bumboy. Yet you, in your almighty wisdom, decide you know best. “

And at the sputtering noises Giles was making, Wesley shouted into the phone, “Oh, give over! It makes me wonder if the prophecy called for you to spread your bum for Angel to dip his wick would you be so eager?”

“You go too far, Mr. Wyndham-Price. I have the Council’s authority…”

“Bollocks!” he snapped.

There was a short outraged silence. “I beg your pardon?!”

“You think you’re such a clever dick! But you will be begging a whole lot more from me if I find Xander in dire straits from your machinations. And further more I have no doubt that you may have concocted some sort of story to get the Council’s sanction…” he began.

“And if you interfere, they will make you regret it…” Giles growled over the line. And Wesley heard the clear warning and he stilled in his seat. Then he spoke and Faith shivered at the icy finality in his voice.

“Mr. Giles, if the Council is fully aware of your doings and has sanctioned your actions then I will deal with them at my leisure. As for you, if that young man is hurt, because of you, by you or at your direction…I will beat seven shades of shit out of you.”

There was a cold silence at the other end before Giles breathed, “I’ll be waiting for you.”

*Click*

Wesley’s hand spasmed involuntarily on his phone and too late, he heard the ominous crack of the plastic.

“Ponce!” he growled.

“Faith, we need to hurry. I believe Mr. Giles and his silly bird will accelerate whatever they are doing to coerce Xander’s agreement.”

“You’re paying the tickets,” she replied grimly and the car shot down the highway.


And a journey that took six day was reduced to four. It was amazing the distance one could travel if you sacrificed sleep.

They coasted into the parking lot with bleary eyes and shaky limbs, just in time to see Cordelia face off against Giles before the girl hustled Xander to her car. Wesley focused his weary eyes on the young man and sighed heavily. By the stiff and halting way the boy was walking, something had already happened.

“Follow her or do we go kick some Watcher/Slayer ass?” Faith asked hoarsely and Wesley glanced over at her. She needed rest more than anything but in her exhausted eyes, fire still burned.

“Follow. Xander and Cordelia had an adversarial relationship previously, but she appears to be protecting him now. She could use some help...” Wesley said as he followed after the sleek sporty red car.

Then Faith began frowning in puzzlement as they traveled some distance. “Wes this...this ain't good. I think she's taking him to Angel!”

“Bugger...!” he snarled, thinking furiously. “Very well. When she comes to a stop, I'll grab her while you get Xander. Don't worry about me, just get him away...is that clear?” his voice was cold iron as he spoke.

“Five by five...” she replied reluctantly. “Where should I take him?”

“Anywhere, just don't tell me where you are going,” he answered her softly and Faith hissed, finally understanding what may happen.

Wesley gave her a brief smile. His Faith was everything he dreamed a Slayer should be: strong, proud and fiercely loyal to those she considered a friend. Xander could have no better guardian protector than she.

He only wished he could be around to see them, but if the Council sanctioned this...travesty, then he had no doubts as to what would happen to him. Losing Faith would be the least of his worries. Buying the two time to flee would be his top priority.

Despite the...vampire's protestations he was as much of a bleedin' sap as Giles for that incompetent Slayer. Instead of giving her the guidance she needed, they gave her what she wanted. Giles allowed her to be weak in order to preserve his control over the Slayer, and Wesley's lip curled in disgust, though he kept a tense watch on Cordy's flashy car. And he sighed as Faith's prediction was spot on. The bloody fool betrayed Xander as well.

And his eyes grew immeasurably colder as he stopped some distance away. “Just stick to the plan,” he gave his final order to Faith, who nodded as they opened the door. Splitting up, they crept silently up to Cordelia's car.


Cordy cut the engine and twisted to look at Xander. “Xander please tell me what's wrong...” she pleaded once again. She had been begging for the last 20 minutes of the ride but he stubbornly refused to tell her.

“Okay then, tell me what's going on between you and those other bunch of losers?” she switched tactics and saw him flinch.

“Dammit, Xander you owe me..!” and she was practically in tears. She wanted to help but how can you help someone when they won't tell you what's wrong?

And when he went to unlock the door, she pressed the Master lock on her side, relocking the door. She was adamant: he wasn't leaving this car until he told her why he was at his favorite enemy's house. And if she didn't like the answer, then he was coming home with her. She was starting to put the puzzle together. The long shirts, the bruises she would sometimes glimpse, and the silent, fearful tension that seemed to fill him when she dropped him off at his house in their dating stage.

When Xander turned to look at her, she gave him her fiercest glare. “You are not getting out of this car until I get some answers, buster.”

Xander sighed wearily. He didn't need this...not now. Another person that pretended to care about him, only to leave him or worse, betray him. Just like THEY did. He hadn't expected much from Faith or Wesley, he hadn't known them that long...but Willow. And he inhaled slowly, feeling something trying to stir within the cocoon of mist that enclosed him.

All he wanted to do right now was end this...to let Angelus out of the bag and get on with the killing. Starting with his sorry carcass. His father was right...he was a waste of space but soon he wouldn't be.

Soon he would be free.

He pressed the power button for the windows. Cordy pressed her Master control switch, forcing the window back up.

Xander unlocked the car again...

...and Cordy locked them back.

Anger was trying to burn through his sweet numbing fog as he glanced at her. And he was startled to see her glare at him...and something else in her eyes. Tears. Why was she crying? And puzzled, he asked her and felt his comforting fog thin slightly at her fierce response.

“Because I know something is really bad and is wrong with you and you won't let me help!” she screamed at him and then finally burst into harsh racking sobs of frustrated fury.

And slowly she felt arms enfold her. “I hate you, Xander Harris! You're always making me cry and hurt over you. I'm Cordelia Chase, damn you! I'm supposed to be the one that does the hurting and making people cry. And you're making me ruin my makeup,” she hiccuped, sniffling as she got herself under control.

“Xander please, whatever it is, I can help! Just...just please tell me. Give me a fuckin' clue,” she begged, peering up into his shaded eyes.

Xander’s thoughts moved slowly. Ever since Friday, it felt like he was moving in slow motion. Everyone was moving at Warp 9 but he was still riding in a hot air balloon. He felt almost disconnected from everything around him, like either he or the world didn't exist in the same dimension...like he was moving through a fog. Everything felt so...unreal.

And looking at her, into the glistening eyes he vaguely remembered that he once cared for her, he offered her one word...

“Run.”

Then tried to open the door again but she locked it absently. Frustrating Wesley and Faith who were crouched by the doors, ready to snatch Xander away.

“What do you mean run? What's coming that I need to run...?” she asked warily.

“Get out of Sunnydale and keep running, Angelus is coming,” he replied quietly. “Will you let me go now?”

“Does Angel know what's going on?” she demanded to know. And if the dark vampire was involved, well she still had the stake Xander had given her for a present under her seat.

He cast a confused look at her. “Of course he does. How else would Angelus return except through him?”

He blinked at the look that settled on her face. And if he could feel, he would probably take to the hills as fast as he could. But as it was, he merely shrugged her icy, vicious smile away.

“Yessss...let's go see dear Angel,” she hissed as she reached under her seat for her stake. Buffy had her Mr. Pointy and she had the Equalizer. And she unlocked the door...screaming for Xander to run before quickly turning her attention to her attacker. Quickly recognizing Wesley, another fuckin' Watcher! She couldn't believe that she swapped spit with him.

Wesley found himself hard pressed to defend himself against Cordelia's whirlwind attack. Her initial scream for Xander to run confused him, this wasn't what a betrayer would do. So he struggled to contain her against the car and suffered numerous blows before he jerked her arms behind her back and forced her against the car. Ignoring the breathless curses and insults spewing from her mouth as they both panted for breath.

And Wesley wound up looking into Faith's astonished eyes over the car's roof, as well as Xander's expressionless face. Dear God he just prayed that it was only the shades that made the boy's face so blank.

“Whoa...good thing the princess ain't a Slayer, huh Wes?” Faith tried to laugh but she was pretty sure it was weak at best. She was disturbed by Xander. This wasn't the same boy she had seen almost two weeks ago.

“Xander...” she softened her voice. God knows she didn't want to spook him as she touched his face gently.

And Cordy snarled, jerking her head back to try hit Wesley. “Get your hands off of him, you...you Slayer!” she yelled and almost managed to wiggled free of Wes' tight grip.

Faith ignored the screaming cheerleader, focusing only on the still boy in front of her, not wanting to believe what she was swiftly coming to see. Someone was going to pay.

“Xander...it's me and Wes. Xander, can I...” and slowly, giving him enough time to react, she gently pulled his shades down before she carefully replaced them. And when she turned to look at Wes and Cordy, the struggling girl stilled her efforts to get free.

“Who...” Faith breathed, forcing herself past her own dark memories of an abusive childhood and just focused on the icy rage that filled her.

Cordy lifted her chin defiantly and simply glared furiously at Faith. “Why don't you ask your goddamn, buddy! I'm sure Giles and Buffy would love to tell you what the FUCK is going on. But I DON'T KNOW SHIT! All I know is Xander is hurt and in trouble. And I'm gonna get some goddamn answers from Angel. And if I don't like his answers...” and her smile was as vicious as Faith's.

But while they were yelling insults, Xander moved purposely, making his way down the pathway to Angel's front door.

“Ladies, while understandably fascinating, Xander is headed for Angel's front door...” the young Watcher exclaimed to the hissing women before releasing Cordy and sprinting after Xander. Not understanding Faith's shout, “Don't touch him, Wesley!”

And as soon as he grabbed at Xander's shoulder he had the boy backed up against the wall screaming and crying. Wesley simply stared at his hand in horror, “All I did was just grab his shoulder...” he muttered to himself.

“I know...” Faith patted him on the arm as she slid past him. Both she and Cordy approached Xander left and right.

“Xander honey...it's Cordy. Just Cordy and Faith...” she whispered soothingly, ignoring the opening door and the vampire standing just out of reach of the sunlight.

“That's right, Xan...it's just me and Cordy. Nobody's gonna hurt you, we won't let them...” Faith crooned softly as she and the other girl crept closer. All their attention focused on him.

Angel opened his mouth, puzzled as to why these people were outside his home. He had been tempted to ignore the shouting between the two females. But when he heard screaming, curiosity over came him. He frowned angrily at the glare the Watcher shot him, then the almost overpowering smell of sheer terror hit him and involuntarily he growled. The delicious aroma of fear and the sweet scent of terror had awakened his demon, but both he and Angelus were astonished to find it coming from the boy.

“Xander...?” he whispered in shock, but the young man's head had already jerked to him when he had growled. And the fear/terror smell increased.

Cordy whirled around with a growl herself and raised her stake.

“Angel, what the hell is going on? And you better start talking fast because me and the Equalizer are just itching to hurt somebody, especially a dead somebody.”

“I have no idea what the hell you're talking about,” he replied absently but more than half his attention was on the trembling youth. “I've been out of town for almost a week, chasing down information about the Gn'aesh. Their strengths, weakness and ways to defeat them.”

He reluctantly put the puzzle of Xander aside for more pressing matters. “Wesley, we might be in more trouble than Giles realizes. Apparently the Zynesh are coming to this little party as well,” he said grimly.

And he blinked when the man began chuckling hollowly.

“Oh, it's much worse than you think...” Wes retorted as he noted that the women had Xander corralled and calmed between them.

Angel stepped back, gesturing them into his home. “How much worse can it possibly be?” he snorted, sipping at his coffee once everyone was seated.

“How about Giles lied about the Gn'aesh arrival?” the other said coldly.

Angel raised his brows in disbelief. “Lied?! But...but...but why...?” Then his eyes hardened when the Watcher's eyes drifted significantly to Xander.

Slowly the vampire got up and approached the boy, his eyes fixed on the young man's face. Crouching in front of Xander, he inhaled deeply, his eyes half-closed as he sorted through the scents intermingled with the young man's normal ones. Then his eyes opened and both Cordy and Faith tried to pull Xander back from the dangerous glitter of hot gold lurking deep within Angel's eyes.

His hand trembling, Angel slowly reached up and carefully removed the boy's shades. And his jaw tightened visibly while Wesley gaped in shock at the swollen black and purplish skin that darkened Xander's left eye.

“Oh dear god...” Cordy whispered, but Angel wasn't quite done. And he knew, now, that something was horribly wrong with the boy. Especially for Xander to sit still while he touched him. He lifted up the young man's shirt and wanted to howl in fury at the lurid bruises and bleeding welts that darkened the boy's torso.

“Ohgodohgodohgod...” Cordy could not stop whimpering, as she in turn lifted the back of her ex-boyfriend's shirt and saw the livid welts and split skin that liberally covered his back.

“Somebody had better start talking fast, or the only one left alive will be Xander.” Angel voice was more terrifying for the extreme evenness in his tone. Hot primitive rage lurked just below the surface. Waiting to erupt.

Xander spoke...

“Will you fuck me now...?” he asked the enraged vampire calmly.

And everyone froze, before Angel slowly eased to his feet in horrible understanding.

Cordy gasped, and not being a part of the meeting, she glared at Angel. “NO, he most definitely will not 'fuck' you! If he puts any part of his body on you, or in you, I swear I will cut it OFF!”

“But he has too...it's part of the prophecy. He has to fuck a virgin so Buffy can become the super Slayer Protector,” he replied in a very calm, reasonable tone.

And it took everything Faith had not to throw up. She tried to draw in a shuddering breath through the huge lump in her throat as hot tears blurred her vision. Blinking rapidly, a quick glance at Wesley revealed he looked as sick as she felt.

Cordy frowned, still not understanding. “What prophecy? And why would you hafta *fuck* Angel...why can't the bitch do her own fucking?”

“Cause the prophecy says that the oldest must have sex with the youngest virgin and Oz, very conveniently, took Willow out of the running.” Angel's voice was heavy as he backed away and slumped in a chair.

“So what does that ha...oh Hell no you don't!” She began impatiently, then dark knowledge had her surging to her feet. “Xander, we are so outta here! Angel, you tell that bitch of yours that if she wants a taste of what power feels like, have her come see me! And I'll put my foot so far up her ass she'll finally know what Prada feels like!”

“But I can't...Angel has to do it now!” Xander protested, feeling a sense of urgency building in him that tried to slip through his cocoon and he frantically thickened his walls.

Angel buried his head in his hands.

“Xander, look at me...” Faith said softly and when he did, she continued. “Why does Angel have to *fuck* you now?” Please God let me be wrong, please...she begged desperately.

Xander frowned slowly, a vague look in his eyes. “Cause when those boys try to de-virgintize me again, daddy's gonna kill me. So if Angel does it, then he can kill me instead cause daddy said he was gonna break all my bones if I was gay and I just know that'll hurt a lot.”

Cordy ran outside and threw up. She was swiftly joined by Faith while Wesley desperately wished he could join them, but stayed behind, uneasily regarding the motionless vampire.

Slowly the two pale, trembling girls stumbled back in and sat like guardians on either side of Xander. Glaring at Angel.

Cordy patted his hand, “Honey, Angel's not gonna kill you.” At least she hoped not, well remembering the hostility they seemed to have towards each other.

And Xander felt the embers of panic start to burn through his nice safe fog. “But...but he has too! I...I don't think...I can't take another beating and dad...he'll...and those boys...they'll...they'll....they tried...and I couldn't...they almost... ” then he turned to Angel. “I lied when Buffy went to kill Angelus. She was supposed to stall while Willow restored you...but I got scared and lied.” He looked expectantly at Angel, who slowly raised his head.

There was a moment of absolute silence before Cordy jumped in desperately. “He was only trying to protect us! Nobody would listen to us when Willow asked Buffy if she should do it. He didn't want her to do the spell and frankly neither did I. But you know Buffy just had to get her own way...he was scared, I was scared.” And she stared nervously at Angel.

“And when...when you had Myhnegon's glove, Xander told me that you didn't bash Giles over the head and steal it, but I didn't wanna listen,” Faith added.

But still Angel said nothing. And looking into Xander's calm face Angel realized something: Xander just wanted to die. It wasn't about Buffy getting more power, the boy didn't believe the spell was going to work and that Angelus would make a surprise appearance.

“So are you gonna fuck me know?” Xander repeated patiently when the vampire didn't respond to his question again. And he tilted his head to gaze solemnly at Angel with his good eye.

Angel blinked, coming out of his moment of reverie, then slowly shook his head at what had been done to the boy to make him this...this caricature of himself. Taking a deep unneeded breath ,he plastered a sad expression on his face.

“Xander, I'm sorry but I....” and he cast a feigned look of embarrassment at the two girls and Wesley before continuing. “I haven't been feeding enough these last few days for the flag, to be raised if you get my drift.”

And slowly Xander frowned as the words filtered through his mind. Blood? Flag? Then comprehension dawned.

“Oh...OH!” He looked sorrowfully at the chagrin on Angel's face as Wesley caught on to what the vampire was doing.

“Oh, I say! Hard cheese!” he exclaimed with a false air of sympathy. He turned to the confused Faith. “Do you remember me telling you about....” he looked at her meaningfully.

But she didn't know what the wanted her to say so all she could do was nod and snap her fingers. “Oh yeah! But I forget what you called it.”

Wesley allowed a look of embarrassment also to show on his face. “It's called Vampire Erectile Disfunction. It's recorded in the Watcher's journal that sometimes it takes days of a steady diet of quality blood before a vampire could recover.” And he shook his head sadly, hiding a smile at the look of annoyance that crossed Angel's face.

Xander's expression remained a little blank. “Uhm...I have...” and he tilted his head slightly to the side, exposing his neck.

“Sorry Xander, but since I usually drink my blood from a cup, my fangs have become...” again Angel paused, “Weak.” And again he glanced at Wesley and the two girls with a look of shame on his face.

And Xander shook his head. Poor Angel, can't get it up and can't get 'em in.

“How long...” he searched for a way to ask his question.

“How long before I'm back at full...strength?” Angel bluntly finished the sentence. “Maybe two, worse case, three weeks,” he added, wildly picking times frames out of thin air. One week would give them a chance to at least get a handle on how to help the boy, though two weeks would be ideal, he thought grimly.

The others remained tensely silent, hardly daring to interrupt. Angel was buying them some time, that was all that mattered. Time.

“That long...?” Xander felt dismay trying to creep through the walls, but he managed to thicken the foggy barriers. He needed to find someplace to stay. If he went back home, he knew his father would most likely beat him again.

“Maybe you could stay here...” Angel said overly casual and looking around, “Why don't you all stay?”

“I don't know...” Xander frowned.

“Xander, I'm doing you a favor by killing you,” Angel looked at him reproachfully. “The least you could do is stay and keep me company until I'm ready.”

“Well..” the boy hesitated and Wesley jumped in the pause.

“Xander, I must say, I quite agree with Angel. You want him to do something for you and yet you're not willing to extend the same courtesy? Bad show!” and the Watcher made tsking sounds accompanied by slow shakes of his head.

And outside the fog that encased him, something was screaming faintly for his attention. He tried to hear but the fog was too thick.

Finally understanding the ruse, Cordelia put in her two cents. “Alexander LaValle Harris! I'm shocked, didn't you learn anything from me? If you want something that someone else has, you gotta act nice to them until you get what you want!” she exclaimed with a feigned huff of impatience.

Wesley and Angel frowned at her, both feeling something teasing at the back of their minds.

Xander turned his attention back to the vampire.

“I apologize. I will be happy to stay with you.” And he still spoke in that awful distant tone. But Angel hoped with the time that he had bought that hopefully Xander would be back to his old, annoying self. Realizing with a bit of disbelief that he missed THAT Xander...the one that almost always had some mocking comment to make, or an acid retort dripping from his lips.

“But there's only one problem,” Angel said slowly, wondering if his next lie would be caught. “I only have three bedrooms with beds so I think at least two of us will have to share a bed.”

“Oh...” was all the boy could say. Then slowly, “Maybe I could sleep...”

“...with me?! Good idea, Xander. That way if I start feeling stronger, you'll be right there for me to fuck and then kill you,” Angel interrupted with desperate enthusiasm. He was going to slowly roast them all over hot coals, was his savage thought. But then Angelus whispered a much better idea to him.

Xander nodded as if that was what he was going to say. “Can I rest now?” he gazed at the vampire.

“Yes you can rest now...” Angel said huskily and eased the boy to his feet. Guiding him to the bedroom, he shook with rage at the marks that crisscrossed the too slender body as he undress the boy. All the while Xander just stood motionless while Angel stripped him naked.

“In the bed with you now...” the vampire said gently as he eased the warm body into his bed. He watched with brooding eyes as the bruised face seemed to ease slightly in sleep.

As he stepped back into the living room Wesley opened his mouth but closed it at the savage glance Angel shot at him.

“Wesley if it doesn't involve gutting all four of them slowly, or roasting them over an open fire or Angelus personal favorite, ramming a hot metal spike up their arses, please shut the hell up.”

“Angel, Giles said that the hidden Protector will be joined to the Dark Champion, did he not?”

“If you think I will willingly shackle myself to that bitch, I will...” Angel left the threat unvoiced as he literally vibrated with the hot need to rend the flesh from her bones. Dark pleasure swirled through him as the Watcher paled and swallowed hard.

Wesley turned to Cordy. “What is Xander's Christian name?”

“Alexander LaValle Harris...why?”

And Angel began to laugh as he met Wesley's eyes in perfect understanding.

“We must get that scroll.” The Watcher had a cold dangerously intent look about his eyes. But still he shuddered at the twisted, vicious smile Angel flashed at him.

“Cordelia, if you're planning to stay, I suggest you run home and grab some things. If you plan on going back to school, be careful: Giles won't allow you to get away easily. One way or the other he'll try to strike back at both you and Xander.” Angel's voice was calm as he planned on how to protect his little group. He was going to need help, he thought reluctantly.

Cordy gave him a haughty, superior look. “Better yet Giles is going to get an old fashioned lesson: Money and power mean I can do any fucking thing I want. You do NOT fuck with the Chase's in this town! I think it's time to call in the reinforcements and I got something else planned for daddy dearest,” she tossed venomously over her shoulder as she stalked out of the mansion.

Pulling out her cell, she got into her car and zipped off. “Hey Mom? Could you put Daddy on the phone…uh huh, thanks…. Dad? Yeah, I had a little incident at school...” And she explained the situation to her father. She may not have the best parents in the world, but nobody was allowed to mess with the Chase name. Not even her.

After listening, Mr. Chase replied coolly. “Very well Cordelia, I'll have our lawyers get on it at once. I'm quite sure that once we've spoken with the School Board, neither you nor that Alexander boy will suffer any negative repercussions over this trifling incident. However, both your mother and I warned you before that that boy would get you into trouble, did we not?” He nodded to his assistant when the man came into the room with papers for him to sign and scanned a business contract while talking to her.

“Dad, his father beat him,” Cordy protested heatedly as she turned the wheel sharply and screeched around a corner.

Mr. Chase paused as he was about to sign off on a business deal. He leaned back in his chair and raised a brow, ignoring his assistant. “Well, perhaps the young man deserved it. While I've never believed in corporal punishiment...”

“He's still bleeding,” she interrupted him flatly, and there was a frozen silence on the phone.

“Would you care to borrow Michael and Jonathan? Perhaps, for a belated birthday present? I'm sure they would love a 'visit' with the boy's parents..” he spoke coolly and finished signing the contract.

“Have I mentioned that you're the best Daddy in the whole world?!” Cordy laughed. While they might not be the best parents in the world, she knew that they did care about her.

“Frequently...especially when you want something,” he responded dryly before saying goodbye.


Far away, deep within a hidden town in Brazil, Spike and Drusilla ceased their arguing over why she won’t leave her Chaos Demon lover, and come back to him.. And as one they turned in the direction to the words that whispered in their minds: 'Come'.

“Daddee...?” Dru looked prettily confused.

“No luv...it's still the ponce.” Spike sighed and started to walk away. He stopped and looked back with a wicked glint in his wild blue eyes, “Comin' pet?” And he stared challengingly at Dru's lover.

And her look of confusion settled into a sulky look of annoyance as she also stood up.

Her lover looked down at her in confusion. “Sweetheart, where are you going?” the demon asked, casting an uneasy glance at the blonde vampire.

“Daddee calls and we must answer,” she replied with a pout and shook her head regretfully when he said that there was a telephone inside.

“Not that kinda answer,” Spike threw out, lighting up a cigarette.

“Uhm...you want...can I come with?” the Chaos demon wanted to know, while Spike forced himself not to rub his hands in demented glee.

Drusilla shook her head regretfully. “Sorry, my love. This is a family matter.” And she touched his cheek gently, ignoring the dripping ichor from his horns.

He sighed in turn. “You'll come back?” Silently begging her to say yes.

“I don't know,” she answered vaguely, already drifting away from him. “The stars haven't been singing lately.”

And Spike gently took her hand, easily recognizing the unfocused look on her face. “C'mon luv, we need t'hurry.” And the Chaos Demon drew in a shuddering breath at the look that softened the sharp features of his rival. He knew that somehow, if the vampire had his way, Dru would never return to him.


Meanwhile as the days progressed, they each tried to reach Xander, trying to bring back the merry, acid tongued, mocking boy that each treasured in their own way. Nothing worked, and Angel finally realized that no amount of coaxing was going to force Xander to return to them.

Save one.

“It's been almost five days,” Angel snarled in frustration to Wesley. The two girls had gone grocery shopping while Angel kept an eye on Xander and Wesley continued to research the prophecy. Neither male, human or demon, looked their best. Angel's hair was sticking up in spikes, he had a nasty burn on one hand that was slowly healing from when Xander had tried to wander outside. Only a hasty grab, that mercifully didn't set off a screaming fit prevented the vague youth from leaving. Inside they could keep him safe.

And Wes, he looked no better. Surviving on coffee, tea and toast. He hadn't shaved in days or bothered to comb his hair. Eyes bloodshot, with heavy dark circles underneath and caffeine tremors shaking his hands. Numerous calls to the Council had yet to yield any results; only 'don't call us, we'll call you'.

He threw down his pen in exasperated rage and simply sat holding his head in his hands. “I just know there's more information out there, information that I can't BLOODY well find!” And surging to his feet, he angrily upended the table he was working at. Eliciting a cry of alarm from Xander, who had just wandered into the room.

And instantly Angel was at the boy's side. Pulling him gently into his arms and crooning softly, while Wes directed a guilty look at the pair. They had quickly found that while Faith and Cordy could yell and scream at the top of their lungs, however when he or Angel raised their voices…it was male voices that caused Xander to react with fear.

Holding and rocking the trembling boy, Angel was pleased to feel the tremors ease and the young man gently push against him in a silent bid for freedom.

Xander frantically ran around and patched the holes in his warm cocoon, but he had the despairing feeling that it was a losing battle. The screaming outside his walls was getting louder and he could sometimes make out a word or two but they didn't make any sense. He was getting the impression that the screaming voice wanted him to leave his hiding place, but why would he want to do that? Outside was pain and hurt, inside it was safe...he sneered at his walls. Nope, not gonna come out!

Finally freed of the encircling arms he wandered back into the bedroom and got back into bed, feeling safe among the familiar smells of the sheets and comforted for some odd reason.

Angel sighed watching as Xander disappeared into their bedroom. “There's only one thing that we haven't tried that might work,” he said with clear reluctance in his voice.

“And what pray tell would that be?” Wesley whirled around and snapped at him. Then he covered his eyes and held himself still, struggling for control. “I apologize. This stress...this damnable situation is a bit wearing on my nerves. I just wish the Council would call me back.”

“Now then, what's your plan?” he said briskly, smoothing down his hair. “What haven't we tried that...” and his voice tapered off at the look of embarrassed hunger on the vampire's face.

“You want him...” was said flatly, accusingly.

“Want doesn't even begin to describe what I feel for him,” Angel spoke ruefully, sinking into a chair. “Every night, lying beside him, holding him in my arms...there's this sense of possession that comes over me. And all I can think, is this boy belongs to me. He is MINE! And this, I might add, is confusing the hell outta me. I want to protect him, but I also want to...”

“...claim him so that no one can take him away from you,” Wesley interrupted Angel softly. He paused as the vampire nodded in agreement. “But most of all you want to love him.” And his expression was shrewd.

Angel continued nodding as he thought on the man's words...then he surged to his feet, “Wait a minute! Who ever said anything about love? I don't remember saying anything about love!” He yelped in protest as he backed away from Wesley. “Uh uh...nope, oh no no no no, I just want ...” and he faltered helplessly.

“...to love him.” The other man again said.

“To love him...” Angel repeated in a stunned voice, then started banging his head against the wall. “Dear God, haven't I suffered enough for Angelus' crimes?!” He looked imploringly heavenwards.

“You don't want to love him?” Wesley regarded the vampire with a steadily darkening look. “You just want to shag him and toss him aside?!” he asked harshly.

And Angel gave him a hard look in return before speaking slowly. “May I remind you that we are speaking about Xander Harris. A boy that affectionately calls me Deadboy for no other reason than to get my goat; someone that would possibly throw a 'Hurray! Deadboy's Dead’ party when I'm dusted; someone that would playfully fill up a Supersoaker with Holy Water in a water fight with me...or are you perhaps thinking of some other Xander currently unknown to me? When he's back to normal, he's gonna hate me even more!” he said stonily, refusing the look of appalled sympathy on the Watcher's face.

Wesley sighed in returned. “You're absolutely right. So what do you purpose to do?” he inquired heavily and felt reluctant admiration for the vampire at the answer...

“Make love to him, of course...”



At the grocery store Cordy and Faith chatted quietly about Xander and how he was coming along.

“If it wasn't so pathetic, I'm almost tempted to smack Xander myself, hoping that'll bring him back,” Cordy said despairingly.

And as usual, she looked like money, lots and lots of money. Makeup perfectly done. Hair elegantly put up in a modified French twist anchored with a long silver pin. She was the picture of elegant beauty in a pair of tight, dark brown pants. A brown shirt just a fraction lighter than the pants, completed her attire. Silver glinted discretely at her ears and around her neck, while her boots were of distressed brown leather with a silvery toe and spiked heel.

“Except for the fact that you know who would probably rip your throat out about two seconds later,” Faith snickered at the rueful look the other girl gave her. They were always careful about mentioning Angel's name in public.

Unlike Cordy, she was dressed almost the complete opposite in casual disarray. Sexily frayed tight, dark blue jeans with cut out holes marching down the outside of her legs, showing a glimpse of firm tanned flesh. And a dark blue silk halter top completed the wardrobe, showing a flash of a tanned belly with every shift of her hips. Like her companion, silver also accessorize her outfit. Huge silver earrings dangled from her ears while her neck was encircled by a long thick silver chain. A silver rope was wrapped around her waist, with the excess left to dangle at her side.

Drawing the male (and a few females as well) eyes unerringly to her hips. Palms just itching to feel how they moved in the throes of passion.

Which was not to say that Cordy didn't draw an equal amount of attention. They would kill to see that look of haughty pride cast aside for a look of hungry pleasure while they rode between her long legs.

But with the ease of long practice, the two girls ignored the drooling in their wake as they tossed food into the cart.

“You know what the worse thing is? Those stupid bitches that pretended to be his friend. Man, I want to ...” she stopped abruptly as they turned left at the end of the aisle.

Right into Willow and Oz.

And Oz's eyes were blank. He had heard every word the two girls said while in the next aisle. Giles had them all looking for Xander and these two knew where he was.

They had initially tried Xander's house but a helpful neighbor told them that both Harris' were in the hospital. Adding in a scandalized whisper, “Somebody had beat, whipped and broken numerous bones within Mr. and Mrs. Harris' bodies. It was a miracle that they were both still alive. I heard the police say that they were bound and gagged with underwear so they couldn't cry out. And this is such a nice neighborhood!”

They had thanked the helpful lady and quickly departed to report this to Giles. And the librarian had made one ill-fated attempt to contact Cordy's parents and was told in a very soft voice by Mr. Chase that 'Should he every attempt to contact them again, he had better make sure he had a lawyer present'. And that was the end of that.

And to make things even worse, when Giles attempted to get both Cordy and Xander expelled one week before the school year ended, they found the Chases' lawyers waiting. It seemed that the Chases' had contacted the School Board and now Principal Snyder was under investigation. An investigation that intensified when Xander's locker was opened and dozens of lewd, filthy notes poured out along with clearly altered pictures of the young man having sex with different males.

Principal Snyder had denied all knowledge of what was going on, but he was immediately suspended until it was determined if he did, in fact, have knowledge of the sexual harassment that was taking place within the school.

That's what they were calling it: Sexual Harassment. It had the whole school buzzing, and sympathy immediately switched over to Xander. Cordy was hailed as a heroine for managing to get him away from...and eyes slid slowly over Willow, Buffy and Oz.

But eyes lingered especially on Willow.

Every kid at Sunnydale High had practically grown up together. Jesse, Willow and Xander lived in all their minds. If you saw one, you would soon see the other two. But then Jesse became a casualty of Sunnydale and the group shifted, becoming Willow, Xander and that new girl. But still it was Willow that had been a part of the original trio. The red-headed girl had been part of his life since they were in kindergarten.

Willow Rosenburg.

And some of the kids, being the good little brainiacs that they thought they were, managed to put two and two together. Though they came up with the number five, they still were on the right path.

Some of them were good Christian kids as well and they remembered their bible...


On the last day of school, Willow found five silver dollars on her desk in her first period class, three in her second class and two in her third. And puzzled, she had asked Buffy if she knew why someone was leaving her money. But with a shrug of unconcern, the blonde impatiently told her to just spend it before the Slayer darted away.

In her fifth period class there were eight silver dollars.

Ten in her sixth period class. And by the end of the day, she had become aware of the cool looks she was receiving from over half the school population.

And with heavy steps, she approached her locker. She also knew her bible as well and was not in the least surprised to see an envelope sticking to it.

With Buffy and Oz at her side, she shakily plucked the envelope off and found two more coins. And written on the front of the envelope was one word....

JUDAS.



Chapter 3

Oz refocused his attention on the two dark-haired girls with a cool expression before his eyes flowed smoothly to very wolfish gaze.

“Ohhhhh, how cute, Faith! Wolfie got himself a little bitch!”

Faith snickered and leaned forward slightly. “Dogfood's over on Aisle 6. I hear they're having a sale,” she told them helpfully then both she and Cordy broke out in uproariously laughter.

And Willow shrank back. “You don't understand!” she burst out. “With the Zynest coming it's more important that the prophecy gets fulfilled,” she exclaimed tearfully. “We NEED Buffy to become the Protector.”

“You make me so fuckin' sick with that 'Woe is me' attitude! All big eyes and breathy catch! What you need is my size eight up your collective asses,” Cordy sneered at them. She sighed and continued more softly. “You wanna know something, Willow? There was a time that I actually envied you. Because of Jesse and Xander. The three of you had something special, something that I, with all my money, beauty and popularity didn't have: you friendship. And all I had was a bunch of ass kissers pretending to be my friend.”

“Then Buffy came along and replaced Jesse. But still you and Xander were tight. Yeah, I admit, I was jealous. Not a lot, of course, cause I am Cordelia Chase. Beautiful as well as fabulously rich, which did kinda cancel out my jealousy quite nicely, thank you. But still there was this slight feeling I had whenever I saw you and Xander.”

“Then I became part of your little circle and I saw a widening crack between you and Xander. And it really puzzled me why. It took a bit of actually looking past the surface but I saw where the division was coming from: Buffy. Inch by inch, she picked apart the little threads that bound you and Xander together. And I saw the last thread snap when you sided with Buffy over that damn Restoration spell. I think that was what started his infatuation with your skinny little ass. He was so desperate to get you back in his life that he didn't even think about the consequences to all four of us.” Then she snorted and gestured to Oz and Willow's clasped hands.

“Now you got your little fuzzy-wuzzy back to keep you warm at night and you left Xander out in the cold. So from one bitch to another, Welcome to the club! Though I gotta say, that if you continue to dress like an escapee from a nunnery, they'll rip up your membership card!” She said with a scornful look at Willow's attire.

And Oz growled warningly, growing tired of Cordy's yapping. Then he blinked as a familiar scent tantalized his nose and his eyes widened fractionally before his lip lifted, revealing lengthening teeth.

“You know something Cordy?” Faith casually asked her companion.

“What's that, Faith?”

“I wonder if the legends about werewolves and silver are true...” she mused thoughtfully. She and the other girl exchanged wicked smiles.

“Let's find out!” the other smirked and pulled out the long pin from her hair, then one-handedly unhooked her silver necklace.

Oz's eyes narrowed uneasily and he backed away from the girls. He pulled Willow with him and darted a horrified look at Cordy's boots then back to her face.

“You like? I had them specially made with you in mind. Stylish yet able to kick a little wolfy ass,” the girl answered his unspoken question as Willow gasped in understanding.

“Why the hell do you care about him anyway? You turned your back on him first!” she cried angrily as guilty rage surged through her.

And her long-standing nemesis looked at her in disbelief. “Oh no, you did NOT just go there! Let me explain the rules about breakups: if it's by mutual consent and there's no hard feelings, you can easily remain friends with each other. But if you catch your honey locking lips with some red-headed little tramp, fall through some funky old steps, get impaled on a re-bar then you are allowed to act as nasty as you wanna be! It's in the Breakup for Dummies Rule Book: Page 94, Number 44.”

“Let me give you some advice: you better read the book real soon. You're gonna need it!” and with that parting shot the two girls sauntered away.

“C'mon I need to find Giles.” Oz pulled Willow urgently out to his van.

“Why?”

However he had no intention of sharing his information with her. Her wavering emotions and loyalty had him almost trusting her as much as he trust Buffy and Giles. And he trusted them enough to know that they would screw him to the wall as soon as they could. Maybe he could casually mention to Buffy that she needed to have another talk to her 'friend'.

“Tell ya later...” he replied absently as they sped towards her house. Quickly dropping her off, he hurried to Giles.

Ushered in, he was pleased to see Buffy lounging in a chair, although with a sulky look on her face. And at the moment he couldn't really decide which one of them he despised more: the Watcher of the Slayer. Then he shrugged, it was a tie.

“I think I know where Cordy took Xander,” he said without preamble. And Buffy immediately bounced to her feet.

“Yeah? Let's go then...” she exclaimed, perking up considerably. Slaying was no fun anymore without her Angel around. She sighed missing the times they would hide in crypts and makeout like bandits, but her honeybunny was still all growly with her. She respected that, she just wished he would hurry up and get over his mad. It was all Xander's fault, all he had to do was let Angel fuck him ONE time for God's sake! Was that too much to ask? And he called himself a friend, she snorted in disgust. If anyone should be upset, it should be her. While it wasn't exactly cheating, but it was still sex with someone other than her...

And she tuned back in time to hear Oz say “...Angel.”

“I'm sorry what did you say?”

The werewolf boy dearly wanted to know if he shook her would he hear rattling? Sternly he controlled his desire to bite her as he carefully repeated what he said and turned his attention back to the Watcher.

Giles paced back and forth, harshly telling Buffy to be quiet and let him think. And muttering to himself he thought furiously before he came to a decision.

“Very well. We shall leave Xander in place for now,” he began calmly but was interrupted by his Slayer's loud screech of dismay.

“What?! What's wrong with you...we have to go get him and...oh.” Buffy began her tirade then quieted down realizing where they would have to take Xander: to Angel.

“Precisely.”

“So you think they will go through the spell?” Oz inquired doubtfully.

“But of course. They may not wish to proceed but they have no choice, not if the Zynaest are coming,” Giles replied, wincing internally at the blistering reprimand he received from Travers. Despite their antagonistic attitude for one another they both wanted the same thing: Power. Travers wanted in on the inner circle of the Watcher's Council while he simply wanted more power than his Slayer. He had grown increasingly tired on her rather mocking put downs, and her purposefully-accidental hits when they sparred.

Ultimately, both he and Travers realized that by working together they could both achieved their goals as there was one thing he had yet to tell his Slayer. She would not be the recipient of the power. He would be the one to received it. The Protector's power was expressively forbidden to be housed within a Slayer, Travers had told him. And the older man had people researching the whyfor of such an edict. But in the meantime Giles was to proceed with the current plan.

“So we just leave him? But how will we know when he's no longer a virgin?” Buffy demanded. And for some reason the look that had flashed in Giles' eyes made her a little uncomfortable but she shrugged it off as a trick of the light.

Giles smiled, “All we need is something that belonged to him, plus a bit of hair. There's a rather simple spell that can be cast to tell us.”

And smiling slightly to himself, Oz hurried to his van and drove to the street the Harris' lived on. He carefully parked his car some distance away and snuck around the back. Slipping under the crime scene tape, he broke into the house and cautiously proceed up the stairs to Xander's room. Entering the room he was assaulted by the stinking reek of despair. And pinching his nose shut, he pawed one-handed though the room. Stealing a brush and a blood streaked shirt and hurriedly departed.

After casting the spell on a small clear globe, Giles slumped down wearily into a chair. Lines of exhaustion etched finely on his face.

“It's down, now all we do is wait until it turns red, then it will shatter. That will indicate that Xander is no longer a virgin and we can remove the power from him.”

“YESSSSS!” Buffy exclaimed whirling around giddily before collapsing into chair. Daydreaming of her and Angel. Together forever.

“She's a fool, you know...” Oz's voice was low as he spoke to Giles.

“True but she's the only Slayer we have...” Giles remarked sotto voice as they both watched Buffy.


Wesley prepared the spell ingredients. His ears were still ringing from Cordy's shrill protests over what he and Angel had decided to do. Though he was quick to point out to the furious girls that it was Angel's idea in the first place. They two were clearly taking an unfair advantage in that THEY could scream and yell at them while he and Angel had to keep their voices down.

But fortunately Angel finally convinced the young women of the plan. Pointing out that Xander was rapidly retreating from the world and soon no one would be able to reach him. This was the only way.

Cordy had immediately demanded that Wesley then be the one to have sex with Xander. But the young Watcher was no fool. He heard the threatening growl from the vampire and moved casually away, making sure he had something solid between him and everyone else when he gave his answer: NO.

Adding that Angel had more experience at same sex relations than he. He sagged in relief to see the angry glares disappear from the girls as they turned very interested eyes on the now discomfited vampire. Which served him right, Wesley had thought self-righteously. Next time he'll think twice about growling at people.

“Gay?! Omigod, you're gay!” Cordy had begun to laugh and was soon joined by Faith, her new comrade in arms. “Boy, Buffy's gonna shit bricks when I tell her!”

“NO! She can't know until we're done!” Angel immediately replied, stifling a little chuckle at the sulky look that appeared on the two girls' faces. “After we're done and everything is completed, you can tell her then.” And maybe it was something in his voice that had caused Faith to look at him sharply.

“You don't think it's gonna work? You think you're gonna turn into Angelus, don't you?”

And Cordy looked at Angel with narrowed eyes. “Yes and that's why you and Cordy won't be here. I figure that it'll take a few hours or so before we'll know either way. Wesley will remain behind to look after Xander and...deal with Angelus,” he said softly.

“You mean kill Angelus, don't you?” Cordy quietly said and she didn't need Angel's lowered eyes to know the truth. If Angelus returned, there would be no restoration spell, only dust.

Later that day something else had occurred to her as she watched Angel take handle Xander. And if there was a God that looked after lost children, she prayed that he would look after them all, especially Angel and Xander.


Wesley tapped on the bathroom door when Angel was making sure Xander finished his bath. They had found that left to his own devices, the boy had a remarkable tendency to get lost in himself and they frequently would return to find him in the same position as when they had left.

“Angel, are you ready?” Wesley called softly, stepping back as the vampire ushered the drowsy looking Xander to the bed.

“Yeah,” Angel sighed heavily as he gently urged Xander to sit down. “The girls are gone?” he inquired, wanting to delay this moment. This time of peace and tranquility where Xander trusted him, let him hold him close. Soon would come the time when he was regarded with disgust and barely hidden fear. But even a sneering, mocking Xander was better than this automaton.

“Yes, they left about fifteen minutes ago,” the other replied sympathetically . No matter how they looked at it, Angel would lose Xander: either the Angelus' hand or by the boy himself reacting with horror and disgust.

“I will be waiting outside,” Wesley murmured softly. Quickly making sure that the manacles were securely fastened to the walls on either side of the bed before departing.

Xander tilted his head to gaze incuriously up at the motionless vampire, but in his foggy world it was beginning to roil and seethe around him, making it hard for him to maintain his footing. The patched holes were looking a little frayed around the edges from the unsettling motion. Then he he scooted back in the wide bed and smelled that wonderful aroma. A scent that promised security and safety. A combination of rich fertile soil and an coo refreshing breeze and his inner world settled. He was still safe, nothing could hurt him not now, not surrounded by the smell of security.

Angel frowned as a disturbed expression seem to settle on Xander's face and he was torn between happiness and sadness. Joy that Xander seemed to be revealing some sorta of emotion that would hopefully lead back to the real world and sadness that he wouldn't get to love him. Then the boy slid further back on the bed and that familiar vague look came back. And sighing softly, Angel shucked his robe and crawled after the slender figure.


“What are you doing?” Xander asked curiously as he lay back on the bed at Angel's gently urging. Lifting his hips at the vampire's prompting, the towel was unfastened from around his waist. His legs were bent until his feet rested flatly on the bed and Angel knelt between them. He restlessly shifted his head on the pillow as his inner world quivered softly.

“This?” Angel gestured to the leg he held in one hand and in the other he held a small plastic bottle. “I'm just gonna give you a massage,” he softly reassured the boy and flipped the top, inhaling the delicious scent of vanilla.

“Oh...”

Pouring a small amount in his hand, Angel swiftly closed the cap and began to knead the scented oil into the slender leg he held between his palms. Slow and steadily his hands crept up the long leg, digging his fingers into the muscles with frequent glances at the boy's face hoping to see some spark of awareness of his actions. But still Xander's face remain unchanging, gazing up at the ceiling.

Gently dropping the boy’s leg, but he made sure that the foot remained flat on the bed. Then he switched to the other leg and treated it to the same thorough attention. His hands crept higher until he reached the muscled thigh. And he saw the lengthy organ begin to involuntarily swell. Encouraged, he pulled Xander into a half sitting position and sank back on his heels, drawing the boy into his lap and adjusting Xander's legs around his waist.

Grabbing the bottle again, he poured another small dollop into his palm before snapping the lid back down. Then he began firmly pressing his fingers into the long back, lightly kneading the muscles into relaxed compliancy. All the while keeping his attention focused on the vague eyes. And finally he saw something, a spark of awareness deep within the dull chocolate eyes.

Xander brows slowly drew down into a frown. Something…this wasn’t…what was wrong? Something was wrong, he looked around his cloud kingdom in puzzlement as a blush of color began flowing through the misty world.

“Angel…” he looked, really looked at the man holding him. He wasn’t afraid because he knew that he was still safe, but something…something wasn’t right. Something was disturbing his nice, safe world and he wasn’t sure he liked it.

“Shhhhh….” Angel whispered softly, stroking the rippling back. Soothing the slight look of distress in the those wide eyes. “Shhhh, just let me…it’s just me. It’s just Angel. Your Angel touching you….no harm. Shhhh…” And he watched the distress eased. Fade as the long lashes drifted down.

He almost cried out as the boy involuntarily arched into his gentle caress and a tiny sigh came from the softly parted lips.

By now, he had reached Xander’s shoulders. And he had the young man completed encased in his protected embrace as he lowered them to the bed. Lulled into pliancy the the boy allowed him to do whatever he pleased with only a soft questioning murmur.

He shifted them to their sides. Then slowly, he drew his hand down a flexing thigh, slid it over his hip and rocked into the warm space provided.. Still continuing his soothing motions. Circling his palms against the undulating back, alternating the heel of his hand then his fingertips to augment his soothing kneading actions.

Once again, he reached for the bottle of oil and squeezed a thick line of fluid on the writhing hips, gritting his teeth as their naked hardness rubbed against each other. Relishing the slight hitching sounds Xander made.

His hands moved lower to the bend of Xander's waist, then to the base of the boy's spine...and lower still...

And Xander's eyes snapped open.

...as Angel finger gently caressed and circled his bottomhole.

“Stop that!” Xander cried, as Angel ran his tongue in a long, slow caress up his neck, straight to his lips. Silencing his protests. Drawing back and licking an wet arousing stroke across his lips.

“You don't like this....” he purred against a fragrant neck. Tender, pulsating skin was now gently being suckled into his cool mouth. And when those thick, sable lashes of Xander's lifted to meet his focus straight on, Angel couldn't resist diving back into the honeyed sweetness of the warm luscious mouth.

And Xander's misty world was being shredded by a cool rushing wind. Ripping apart his safe cocoon. Leaving him with no place to him.

“Angel no! I don't...please...I don't want to do this...it hurts...they'll hurt me again...please stop!” Xander cried, hot bitter tears spilled from his eyes. But he continued to arch into the intoxicating caresses that the vampire was giving him. He rocked forward with a short cry when Angel crooked his finger and brushed against a something that caused him to see stars.

“I can't baby...if I let you go you won't come back to us. Xander, trust us...trust me! We won't let them hurt you again. But you have to come back to us,” Angel pressed thick, seductive kisses to the pouting lips. Moaning as he slipped inside and drank thirstily at the succulent heat within. Twining his tongue around the shy, supple muscle within. Teasing it to a erotic duel while slowly introducing a second finger into the sultry back channel. Groaning at the incredible tight heat that blistered his fingers.

“I won't...I promise I won't...I'll stay...I promise I'll stay...,” Xander babbled out as tears poured down his face. “I won't go away...oh...oh...ohhhhhh...ah ah ah...ANGEL!” came the low passionate cry as Angel gently brushed against...something deep within him.

Xander gazed forlornly at his tattered misty world. There was no place to hide from that cool wind that twisted and swirled playfully around him. Teasing him, tugging at him, pushing him to the edge of the cliff. Promising safety. No harm....

And he leapt.

Angel sank into the aroused need of the boy as the lithe body pressed hungrily against him. Their lips slid, touched with an erotic, beguiling rhythm. All that was heard in the room was heated sighs, hungry moans as need...desire spiral higher.

Abruptly, Xander managed to pull back. Away from those arousing lips. Fully back in the real world. And what a world he was in. He gazed up into Angel's shadowed face.

This can’t be real…maybe he was still in another world. A crazy dreamworld because this was Angel...Deadboy that he was swapping spit with, a Deadboy that had his fingers up his ass. He can't be feeling this way about...he can't be feeling pleasure.

“Kiss me...” Xander demandingly moaned. He had to prove to himself that this wasn’t real. “Right now.”

Angel paused for only a second before he he bent forward and brushed cool, silky smooth lips over the soft, lush feel of the boy's warm intoxicating lips. It was incredible. It was tender.

And it nearly blew Xander’s socks off.

He stretched up slightly and reached up to cup the back of Angel’s head. Feeling like Angel was towering over him even while they were laying down. Moaning breathlessly into the cool heat of the mouth drinking deep from his. And helplessly, he parted his lips wider. Succumbing to the intensely sensual need Angel's lips invoked. Hungrily. Pressing against the firm body greedily. Using his leg to draw them closer...closer still. Writhing on the fingers that played so deliciously, wantonly within his spasming flesh.

Clasping Angel’s shoulder and upper arm, he drew himself deeper into the cool embrace, absently noting the sleek, muscular strength flexing beneath his curious wandering hand. And he slid anxious fingers up the strongly corded neck, sinking them recklessly into the depths of the silky dark locks. There was something incredibly sensual about touching Angel, the feel of cool flesh touching him. It was unlike anything…

And he felt Angel tremble. Marveled that he, Xander the Zeppo, could cause such a reaction and realized that he was hard. Drippingly hard....they were hard. And he wanted Angel with hunger that was fast driving him insane.

This kiss, their kiss was endless. Wet, lush and deep. And his body eagerly responded, pressing against the huge stiff rod. Their hard erections gliding, sliding against one another, fitting against Angel, undulating in a mating dance that was heightened by the feeling of his lover intimately exploring his simmering ass with those long, thick fingers.

Angel rolled them over, settling firmly between the splayed thighs. His fingers still intimately sliding into the honeyed warm sheath with greedily fingers. Reveling in the soughing moans and the harsh groans of passion pouring from wet, trembling lips. And swiftly he moved down the undulating body and sipped from the towering staff before enveloping Xander's length deep within his mouth.

Xander gave a startled cry....it was too much and he tried to back away from that voracious mouth. But Angel wouldn’t let him. Xander tried to steel himself against the sensual assault the vampire was waging on his body. And against his will, he felt his body give over to a decided awareness of Angel’s ministering, sensual hand. His very experienced hands. And he was moaning with pure ecstatic joy, watching Angel, watching as his dick disappear and appear within the wet luscious silk of the dark immortal's cool mouth as he suckled him and played erotically in his ass. Gasping and moaning he rocked back and forth, torn between the twin carnal caresses.

And that mouth, that ravenous mouth that pulled such…rapturous sensation from him that he was totally helpless against the heated anticipation that surged through his body. Felt his body come alive as tantalizing tremors shivered down his length and through the rest of his body.

Angel felt the reaction that the boy couldn’t possibly hide nor contain. And he pulled Xander tighter, deeper into his mouth. Nursing greedily at the warm length that pulsed between his lips. He really was going to love teaching Xander the passion that seethed within that slender, pliant body. Watching it rise slowly, relentlessly until it overtook him. Overwhelmed him...overwhelmed them both.

And a picture of Xander sprawled across the bed came into his mind. Golden skin softly brushed by waning sunlight, gleaming with dewy moisture. Hot skin, a dripping stalk arching proudly in the air, waiting impatiently for his lover to join him as he shifted restlessly on the rumpled sheets.

And he wanted to be that lover. To be the one that ignited the passion that burned deep within that lean supple body. Wanted to be the one that Xander wait for...that he hungered for...that he watched with greedy possessive eyes...

He pulled his fingers almost roughly out of their warm nest. Ignoring Xander cry of bereavement, he gently touched the head of his aching shaft to the spasming circlet. Just kissed the head of his organ to the loosened muscle ring and simply waited.

“Angel...”

And he plunged into the molten heat.

“Ahhhhh....” his eyes nearly fluttered close, it felt so...so damn good.

Easing his hips back, smiling tightly at the distressed whimper Xander made before he slid his length inside. Heat...blessed caressing heat. And so tight...so fuckin' tight.

And then Angel began a scorching, plowing rhythm that pinned Xander willingly to the bed.

“Omigodomigodomigod,...” he moaned as Angel fucked him with an almost savage force that nearly took his breath away.

He couldn't move...wasn't too sure he wanted to move; all he could do, wanted to do was accept Angel's mouth, that insatiable tongue filling his mouth, and that huge cock as Angel moved with dark, sinful grace within him; powerful hips writhing and undulating, ramming, thrusting into him...plunging to his very core. Withdrawing and starting the primitive drive into him again...relentlessly. Over and over. And it only got better when Angel wrapped his hand around his shaft and began working his cock, ruthlessly pulling at his throbbing length. Swiping his thumb over the wet, drooling head.

All he could do was feel; gladly feel again. And he wrapped his arms around Angel's neck and hung on for dear life; gasping short cries of encouragement as his dark lover surged into him, muttering thick words of lust, of desire against his lips while plunging feverishly within his spasming channel.

He was helpless against the vampire's strength even while he gloried in it. He was pliant under the weight of Angel, and he reveled in the cool naked body covering him while a mouth devouring his, and that hard jutting shaft continued to pleasure him

And Angel rode the gasping, squirming body in a hot torrid claiming of Xander. Claimed by sex, claimed by the most rapacious and virile part of him. He rode the lithe, writhing body until Xander was near senseless with agonizing pleasure each time he rammed his considerable length into the hungry, wrinkled pucker. Stuffing himself deeper into the honeyed flesh with every licentious flex of his hips. And he gloried in every loud needy cries of 'More' from his lover.

He moved, Xander groaned. Every sensation seemed magnified by his leaking cock in the velvety sheath, slippery with his juices and wet with Xander's own natural secretions. Making the most seductive, salacious sounds imaginable.

The lush supple body surged in erotic cadence with his every move; he took Xander with long powerful strokes with the rhythmic movements of a very experienced lover. Angelus tenure in their shared body finally standing him in good stead. He found an almost inexhaustible reserve of stamina as he possessed Xander. He thought he could go all night, endlessly plunging into the wet heat of the tight gripping passage and

Xander wound himself tighter around the dark immortal and gave Angel his mouth. As the intensity of the thrusts increased, he lost himself willingly in the icy hot kisses and in the torrid sensation of pure lust. And then it was over, in a sudden paroxysm of white-hot, electric, sizzling that burned through him. Swelling into a ravishing unfurling sensation. One moment it was there, he was there. Climbing, soaring to a capricious crescendo of excitement...and next...

“Come for me, Xander!”

...and he exploded in a heart stopping eruption of pleasure.

“Oh God....ANGEL....!”

And when he felt Xander clenched around him, squeeze him tightly during that long ecstatic moan of shattering release, he knew he wouldn't be long after as sweet, fragrant boy juice erupted over his hand. And Xander met his every thrust, snapping his hips against his, rolling his body wantonly to his cadence. Building the feeling, building the intensity until his final...glittering surrender. He didn't want to, but it took him almost by surprise; and gritting his teeth jammed himself deeper into the luscious warm passage.
Chanting Xander's name like a benediction he jerked his hips roughly against the boy, then let loose with an almost anguished howl of pleasure.

His face shifting, teeth lengthening before he buried his teeth in Xander's tender neck. Drinking deeply from the fountain of life. Headily spiced with the sweet ambrosia of lust, pleasure unending. Hearing the low whine from the frantically undulating body beneath him as his cum spat out, spangling against Xander's prostate with every pulsating foamy bullet. Making his lover work his needy hips hungrily before Xander shot his load again and he flooded Xander's fluttering ass in the volcanic geyser of his climax. And blunt human teeth sank deeply into his shoulder, forcing a second orgasm from him, taking him by surprise and he again flooded the ravenous bottom mouth with his cum.

Sighing in orgasmic satisfaction, his ass still twitching around the thick rod still buried within him. And as Angel sank down onto his limp body so tightly, so deeply, he felt as if he was bound to Angel... forever.


And waiting outside, Wesley began the spell. Each word meticulously pronounced, there was no room for error and he felt the magic grow. Pressing, swirling around him with furious intensity, forcing him to his knees. But he still continued to chant out the spell, casting the material components into the brazier as the pressure built. Until he finally shouted out the last words of the spell, gasping for breath on the floor as coils of smoke wafted through the air with almost sentient intelligence before undulating to the bedroom door, and seeping under it.

He winced at each increasingly loud pleasure filled moan from both Angel and Xander. Unfortunately, he was becoming rather turned on as well. Gritting his teeth, Feeling thankful that they seemed to be winding down, he stepped away from his post for a last ditch effort to control his arousal: and ice pack. Fortunately, the couch was there to catch his fall when he received a call from the Watcher's….correction the Shadow Council. And he waited with trembling knees as he was connected directly to the Shadow Council.

Rumors abound about the Shadow Council. Most Watchers could count on one hand the number of people they knew that had seen a Shadow Council member. The Shadow Council existed, it was they that had formed the Watchers Council and if any of the original Council of Watchers knew who the Shadow members were, that answer died with them. No one knew what they looked like, no one had ever SEEN a Shadow member except for the five heads of the Watchers Council. Well, actually four heads, considering the other recently passed away. And by tradition, there were always five ruling Council members.

People were brought before them for questioning, but still they never saw the Shadow Council's faces. Only heard their voices. And the rumor mill insisted that some members of the Council walked among them as ordinary people.

And while he tried not to listen to gossip or rumors basing his evidence on fact not conjecture in his short time as a Watcher, he had only rumors an gossip to credit a Senior Watcher's disappearance to the Shadow Council.

He later found out that the Watcher had been guilty of selling secrets about the Watchers Council, resulting in five potential Slayer and fifteen Watchers falling to the hands of a demon clan.

He jumped as a smooth, quiet voice filled drifted through the receiver.

“Wesley Wyndham-Price, is that correct?”

“Y..yes...yes Sir,” he managed to quaver out before firming his voice. “Yes Sir, this is Wyndham-Price. To whom may I ask I am speaking too?”

“You may address me as Mr. Seven. As to your calls to the Watcher's Council, be advised that you are on a speaker phone so please make your answers and questions clear and succinct.”

“Yes, Mr. Seven...”

“Now it is our understanding that you have been attempting to gather information regarding the Protector and the use thereof, correct? If so, we have an...interest in why are you inquiring on this matter.”

Wesley took a deep breath. While the smooth silky tone did not change he had the unmistakable impression that his guts would decorate the mansion if his answers did not please the caller. And carefully he began explaining the situation. Neither adding nor embellishing the truth, simply laying out the facts of the matter and what steps that were forced to take. “...and now the Dark Champion has mated with the boy. We didn't quite know what else to do, with the Zynesh imminent arrival.”

“Correct me if I'm wrong, but from your words it appears that the Senior Watcher of Sunnydale tried to coerce, Alexander into a relationship with the child despite the boy's protests. Now you seem to be condoning this...this relationship.”

And Wesley blinked rapidly at the aura of menace that silkily purred through the telephone. “No Sir, it was not condoned...but it was necessary to bring Xander back to us.”

“I beg your pardon, how does involving sex bring the boy back to you? Was he lost? It was our understanding that the child were with you.” the voice spoke sharply.

“Sir, I'm sorry but I was not here to witness the events. All we have, all I have is just conjecture. Not facts...” Wesley replied helplessly.

“Then conjecture for us if you will...”

“We believe that Xander was forced out of the group; we believe that rumors that he was gay were deliberately spread throughout his school; we believe that he suffered a great deal of sexual harassment and physical assaults while at school, and at least one attempted rape; and then he was badly beaten by his father. As a result, he retreated in his mind. He had been hurt so badly and betrayed, that he refuses to come out. But please sir, these are just conjectures, we do not KNOW that these events are true facts as yet.”

There was absolute silence on the phone before Mr. Seven began to speak Explaining precisely what a Protector was, what it was use for and why no Slayer could house such a force. And Wesley face was chalk white by the time Mr. Seven was done and all he could think was: Oh buggery!

“We will be sending a representative along with additional information that is to be given only to Alexander. His duty is solely to Alexander. You will not interfere with this representative in any shape or form. Have I made myself clear?”

“Yes sir...uhm who is this representative...so we'll know who to expect,” Wesley said hastily.

And at the answer, the young Watcher couldn't help his low groan of dismay.

“Good day Mr. Wyndham-Price.”

*CLICK*

“Oh, this is absolutely bloody marvelous...” the Watcher groaned, slumping back against the couch. Blinking at the quiet, then jumping up with an exclamation of shock as he rushed to the bedroom door.

#############################

London, England

Quentin Travers studied the reports the field Watchers had sent, frowning heavily at one written in an almost illegible hand. Wondering when they would announce the fifth head of the Watcher's Council, he could only pray that it would be after that ridiculous fool Giles had retrieved the Protector from the boy. While he was ahead in the running, he wanted a bit of insurance in case he was not chosen as the fifth.

However, he was very much aware that Giles would try to betray him, however, without the additional documents on controlling the Protector, having the Protector's power would be a lesson in futility. The little airy-fairy would likely blow himself up the first time he used the power.

He snorted, Giles was a bloody arsehole to actually think he could outsmart him. He was the one that had taken all the risks. The bleedin' documents regarding the Protector was guarded by so many seals and locks that it had taken him months to get through them all. Endless bribes to Sheldon, the vault custodian. And he grinned mirthlessly. Al-most endless bribes to him. Another silly fool...seeking to blackmail him! What rotten luck Sheldon had to be attacked by a rogue demon. At least that was the word that was floating around the building.

Travers smiled again. Sheldon was most unpleasantly when he had shown up and began clawing at him with the modify gloves. Blubbering and pleading for mercy before the begging stopped with one swift grab at the pathetic fools throat.

He patted his combination locked briefcase containing the all important documents...but once Giles had the Protector's power, together they could dictate the terms in the Watcher's Council. Perhaps instead of five Council members there should be only...one. One head, one vote...one vision on the direction of where Slayers and Watchers should focus all their attention: the extermination all demons.

He shrugged, should the Council heads bestir themselves over this, all he need do was explain...and he became aware of one figure standing in his doorway.

“Yes, may I help you?” he asked curtly, but was uneasy at the woman's blank expression.

“Mr. Quentin Travers...?”

“Yes, yes what do you want?” he inquired impatiently.

“I've been sent to tell you that the Council wishes to speak with you. At once.” And she gestured slightly to the hallway.

Hmmm, are they perhaps going to make a private announcement that I am to be the fifth
head, he mused as he followed the elegant woman. Hardly, old boy, he snorted to himself in amusement. Obviously something else has captured their attention....as he was led through the labyrinth maze of corridors and hallways...

“Your pardon, but this isn't the way to the Council,” he protested quietly, starting to feel a bit uneasy about the entire situation.

“But of course it is,” the woman answered him pleasantly as they entered an elevator. She withdraw a key card and slid it into a slot just above the floor numbers. And they the elevator was swiftly move downwards.

And a fission of fear skittering on tiny feet down his spine. “Young lady, I tell this is most emphatically NOT the way to the Council Chambers,” he snapped angrily to hid his burgeoning fear.

“I'm sorry, perhaps I was a bit imprecise in my words. The Shadow Council requests your help in clearing up a small matter of some importance.” The odd woman smiled once again.

This time he was not reassured by her pleasant, calm demeanor. “What is your name? And who is your superior?” he demanded swiftly, blustering to hid his sudden attack of nerves.

And the doors opened into a darkly lit vast room. In the center on the circle of light sat a comfortable chair and desk, just beyond the lit were a semi circle of desks and chairs. He could just make out shapes and forms, the brief glowing red ember of a smoking cigar that a figure or two smoking and waving carelessly about. Not even hearing the woman's reply to his question.

“Ah...Mr. Travers, please have a seat. We would like to thank you in advance for your prompt willingness to help us in a troubling inquiry that has us a bit...concerned. “ A quiet voice from the shadows spoke politely.

And with knees that had a disturbing need to shake, he made his way to the chair indicated and waited with a racing heart for the questions to begin. Sternly cautioning himself not to panic. He had covered his tracks extremely well, there was nothing that they would be able to find that could be traced back to him.

They questions started innocently enough, even though he dared not allow himself to lulled into a sense of complacency still he answered them honestly.

“It was mention in passing that there's a situation going on over in the America. Perhaps you might ease our curiosity regarding the matter?”

And Travers mentally heaped curses on both Giles and that damn Wyndam-Price's head even while he smoothly told them of the happenings in Sunnydale. What the power of the Protector would do to bring order to the world.

“Just think Sirs, of what could be accomplished with the Protector's power housed in a mortal body. We wouldn't have to depend on rebellious, independent minded Slayers any longer. We would have someone dedicated to our cause, loyal to our belief. The current Slayers are both rebellious females. One is even in love with the vampire that is the Dark Champion. Can you imagine that? Absolutely ridiculous, of course! She is a Slayer, her job is to kill their sort!” he snorted in disgust.

“No doubt you are proposing that you be the one that would house the Protector's power?” came a dry whispery voice from the shadows.

And Travers mustered a faint modest smile. “Oh no Sir. I do not feel that I'm qualified for such a difficult task. However, there is another Watcher....a Rupert Giles that I feel is uniquely qualified for the honor.”

“No doubt, eh?” and there was something in that particular gravelly voice that had him wanting to be on his feet. Perhaps with a thick wall between them, maybe even several walls along with a dozen guards.

“Of course I have doubts that he would be able to do the job, naturally. I'm not that big of a fool. However, he believes that demons should be exterminated. That is what the Watcher's Council was set up for, to train Slayers who would destroy demons.”

And there was a murmur of voices, whispers before one voice spoke calmly.

“Well, fortunately for you that will no longer be a concern. Once the Protector has been awoken in the mortal boy you will not be able to remove it.”

“What?!” Travers couldn't help but exclaim, his mind racing. Scrambling mentally over the various purloined documents he had secured in his briefcase, that couldn't be true. Almost all the papers indicated that...and with frozen horror he listened as the voice continued.

“Yes, Mr. Travers. We were quite aware of your theft of the documents relating to the Protector. You see, we deliberately seeded the vault with these falsified papers many years ago, waiting for someone. Someone clever enough to conceive of such a scheme. someone ambitious enough to bribe the vault custodian. Someone vicious enough to kill to achieve his or her goal.” And the lights slowly began throughout the room.

“And do you know, Mr. Travers that in over 10, 000 years you are the first person to do so,” Sheldon quietly added, his lips quirking in cold amusement at the horror on Travers' face.

“H...how? Wh....why?” the man stumbled out of his chair, backing frantically away. Seeing for the first time exactly who, or rather what also presided over the Watchers Councils.

Demons.

Sheldon smoothly got to his feet. As one of the ranking member of the Shadow Council, the majority of them enjoyed an extremely long a healthy life. Illness, disease or injury were no longer fatal. Thank God his tenure would soon be up and he could go to that Final Sleep. He looked at the three original members and shivered. Wondering how could they continue to go on and silently shook his head in awe. These men, these ancient warrior mages took their duties to the Protector very seriously.

“Allow me to tell the true nature of the Protector,” he began. “Many, many years ago when the world was young. Demons freely walked the land and preyed on the weak. Their kind as well as humankind. The two PTB's reluctantly met and after much discussion, created a defender, a Protector. It was created not only to protect humans from demons, but also demon from demon as well as demons from human. But after a millennium of near constant battle it became tired and felt the need to Rest.”

“And in order to rest, it had to create another Guardian. So it sent its acolytes to find a young girl and it imbued her with a fractional part of its essence. Creating the First Slayer. These men,” he gestured to the motionless African magus, “Served as her Watchers and one became her mate while the other two in turn took other mates. The Slayer/Watcher pairing produce 15 daughters in total, fifteen potential Slayers...only one of which would be activated upon her mother's death. While the other two men produced 29 sons between them. And all the children carried a specific...gene, I guess you could call it. When the male and female genes combine together it would produce either another potential Slayer or a Watcher. With the exception of the fifteen girls, this is how potential Slayers come to be.”

“My God...” was all that Travers was able to breathe in wide-eyed amazement.

“And now that you know part of the true story, it's time for you to leave.” Sheldon continued calmly.

“Y...you..you're letting me go?” the other stammered, almost weak with relief and then he felt a stinging pain in his chest followed by something against his back. Fearing a heart attack, he was puzzled as to the line that seemed to....

“NO!” he screamed in horror as the cord was jerked out of his chest, the barb end ripping through his heart as well.

“Silly old git,” Sheldon snorted and nodded in thanks to his fellow Council member who was licking at his bloody hand where the barbed coil was just sliding back into his slitted palm. Demons sometimes had the most amazing physiology.

“You heard?” First acolyte spoke in an almost soft papery whisper and a dark form glided out of the shadows and bowed.

“Yes, my lords,” came the cool reply from the still figure.

“The boy must be protected,” and unspoken was the fact that terrible things would happen to him should he fail. .

“I will do my best,” he vowed and shivered under their ancient regard. Once again cursing that fuckin' arse Ripper for the mess that he was left to clean up. He just KNEW all this could be laid at the feet of that pompous bastard.

“You will need more than your best to succeed. Your primary focus will be to try to ward the boy until the Protector is fully awaken and at that time you may return back to England. You are not to have any contact whatsoever with Rupert Giles, is that clear?” the Second acolyte spoke, with a dark gleam of amusement in his eyes at the sulky expression that immediately flash quickly across the mage's face.

Dammit! Will I have no fun on this assignment? The dark magus silently grumbled but bowed his head in acquiescence. “Yes, sir.”

“You will tell the vampire that we will draw away as much as many demons as we can, but he will need to garner protection for both himself and the boy,” the Third spoke this time, a clear note of warning in his gravelly voice.

“By your will....”

##################

Back in Sunnydale, specifically Angel's bedroom, the two lovers lay slumped in sated pleasure, both breathing raggedly.

Moaning softly, he gently pulled free from the possessive sheath that clung to his length. He rested on his back for a few seconds before reaching for the bowl of water and cloth, and began gently washing the white pools of cum from Xander's still heaving chest and belly. Firmly ignoring the slight hitch in the boy's breath when he touched him. Finished he allowed the younger man to roll over on his side, though he firmly restrained the boy when Xander tried to crawl away.

Spooning against the shuddering back, he pulled the warm body into his arms as he rested his chin on top of the tousled locks and softly began purring. Feeling his eyes tear as well from the broken sobs the boy tried manfully to suppress.

“Why…?” Came the bewildered wail of confusion.

“Because we were losing you…” Angel replied quietly, stroking the soft hair away from the flushed face.

And Xander tried to understand. He really tried but he couldn't understand. He wasn’t bothering anyone, he wasn’t hurting anyone.

“But I was safe there!” And he finally broke into racking sobs. “And…and no…body was gonna….hurt me…there!”

“I know, baby. But it wasn’t a good place to be. There's plenty of people that love you right here…that’s been waiting for you to come out of hiding. You’ll be safe, we’ll make sure that no one hurts you again.” Angel whispered soothingly, softly stroking the overly warm body.

“Why do you even care?! You don’t even like me,” Xander muttered petulantly, his breath coming in hiccups.

“I care…” came the quiet whisper in his ear and he twisted trying to wiggle out of the vampire's embrace. Stilling as a sharp stab of pain laced through his neck and his eyes widened incredulously.

“Hey, you bit me!”

“You bit me back!” Angel muttered as he helped Xander twist around.

“I so did NOT!”

Angel merely gestured to his throbbing left shoulder and Xander flushed at the evidence of what he had done. Then his face turned absolutely white, causing Angel to sit up in alarm at the wheezing noises the boy was making.

“Xander! Xander, what’s wrong?!” he asked urgently.

“You….me….bed….” Xander choked out. “Omigod, I’m naked and I had sex with you! And I’m still naked! I’m gay! And you must be gay…” And he looked like he wanted to start crying again.

Angel manfully restrained his laughter. He pulled the shrilly protesting boy into his arms. “You humans have a lot to learn about sex. Xander, if anything you may be bi-sexual. But baby, it would have taken more willpower than you have right now to have resisted what I was doing. Not that I’m sorry, but we needed you back among the living.”

“Or a reasonably facsimile of one…” the boy couldn't help smirking back, then quickly remembered his naked state and hastily grabbed a pillow to cover himself. Just in case Angel got anymore funny ideas about…and a furious blush covered his face.

Angel smiled, “Now that's the Xander that we know and love.” And dearly wished he could take those words back. No need to frighten the boy more than necessary. He averted his eyes hastily, making a big production of putting on his robe to avoid the searching look Xander cast him.

“Xander, you need to understand that there are people that care about you. Faith, Cordy…Wesley and want to help.”

And Xander hid his hurt that Angel didn’t include himself in those that cared about him. Not that he wanted the vampire to care about him, he reminded himself hastily. Because in that direction lay gayness and his eyes narrowed, just waiting to pounce on him.

Then he felt himself getting angry…he wasn’t kinda baby that needed protection and he vehemently said so.

“We know that. But it’ll soothe Cordy’s ruffled feathers if you pretended that you needed her. She’s changed a lot in the past couple of days, looking after you. And I can tell you right now, that no one wants to mess with Ms. Chase at this moment,” Angel said in such an admiring tone that Xander grinned.

“Yeah, she can be pretty fierce when she wanna be,” he admitted with a smile that slowly faded. He looked down, plucking nervously at the cloth covered pillowcase. “I still don’t need anybody to protect me, though,” he muttered softly.

“I know and I never said anything about protecting you.” Angel replied evenly. “You are fully capable of standing on your own two feet. You just need a little help right now. All I’m saying is let them take care of you, until you’re strong enough to stand on your own.”

“And what about you? You obviously don’t wanna be around me, I guess all I was to you was a quick fu…” Xander began to sneer and found himself quickly flat on his back. He squeak was muffled by the large hand covering his mouth and he froze at the narrowed golden eyes glaring down at him.

“Don’t even say it, boy…” Angel growled down into the frightened eyes before he sprang from the bed. “Wesley is waiting outside for you,” he stated harshly, turning his back on Xander.

With shaky limbs, Xander crawled from the bed, wincing at the pain in his.okay we will NOT be completing that particular thought, he ordered himself sternly.

And he never once took his eyes off of Angel as he gritted his teeth and stooped slowly to grab his towel. Halting as his eyes fell on the manacle laying on the floor. He followed the thick links all the way up to the wall in disbelief before switching his widening gaze to the other wall and the matching manacles. They didn’t use to be in the bedroom…that much he remembered.

And he swallowed heavily, despite what Buffy and Giles thought about him, he wasn’t exactly stupid. One manacle plus one manacle equaled one enchained dangerous pycho vampire: Angelus.

“I’m sorry…” he hardly dared whisper as shame overcame him. Here he was bitching about his virginity and Angel was going to go bye bye.

“I don’t need your pity,” Angel hissed spinning around and snarling. But for once his fearsome face failed to terrorize the youth.

“Then would you be willing to accept my gratitude?” Xander asked with a somewhat shaky smile and felt shy pleasure course through him at the slow smile Angel gave him in return.

“Wesley is waiting for you outside,” Angel repeated, but with a softer look and reluctantly Xander headed for the door, clutching his towel firmly around his waist. Then another thought struck him.

“Angel?” he called just as the vampire fastened the cuff around one wrist. Angel looked up and waited. “Uhm…what…what will happen if Angelus doesn’t make a surprise appearance?”

And his face turned red, “I mean…I can’t imagine you losing your soul over…” gesturing helplessly at the rumpled bed, looking anywhere but the vampire sprawled on the bed.

“Xander, I’m surprised that I’ve lasted this long in talking to you. If Angelus doesn’t make an appearance then we’ll face that tomorrow, okay? Now go and don't come back until morning,” Angel ordered gently, smiling at the embarrassed look of pleasure that claimed the boy’s face before the young man hurriedly limped from the bedroom.

Omigod, I am so screwed! Xander shrieked silently. You idiot! Don’t think sex thoughts, he yelled to himself. And he began thumping the back of his head repeatedly against the door.

“Xander? Are you okay?” Wesley asked cautiously, a bit alarmed at the myriad of rapidly shifting expressions on the young man's face.

Xander peeked up at Wesley, exhaustion suddenly weighing his limbs down. “Don't know...sleep now?” he softly pleaded.

“Yes, of course...” Wesley darted forward and escorted the boy to his, now Xander's room.

Yawning mightily, he slapped the Watcher's hands away from his towel. Clutching firmly at his only covering, he backed away with wide eyes. “Don't tell me I have to have sex with you too?!” he screeched and Wesley literally jumped back with a horrified look on his face.

“Absolutely NOT!” he exclaimed. “I just thought you would be more comfortable...”

“...sleeping naked in your bed? Ewwwww! I have no idea where your body's been,” Xander yelped, feeling a surge of adrenaline. “You might even have coodies. And what the hell are cooties anyway, ya know? I mean it's something that I used to yell at the girls when I was a kid but I never exactly knew what they were...do you think they are germs and do you know why we called them cooties?” he exhaled his question in one long breath and the older man just stared at him.

“Perhaps it would be best if you were to simply lie down now,” Wesley carefully avoiding giving an answer, when he wasn't quite even sure of the question.

“K...” that simple word combined with the look of sleepy innocence made Wesley smile helplessly.

And climbing into bed, the boy was restlessly asleep within seconds.

Wesley went to check on Angel.

“Is Xander okay?” the vampire asked anxiously.

“Yes, he's in quite fine babbling form,” Wesley wryly replied, forcing a laugh out of the enchained man. “And you, how are you doing?”

“Well, so far HE seems to be quiet...which is making me very uneasy.” Angel tried to laugh and even to his ears, it sounded false.

“Do you know how long it will take before we are sure?”

“Well one way or the other, we'll know by morning,” Angel sighed, rolling his head restlessly on the pillow. “You and the girls keep an eye on Xander. And until this is over, I don't want him in here, you understand?” Turning, he looked the Watcher in the eye and saw the acknowledge in the other's face.

“As you wish...” Quietly Wesley left the room.

Shortly then after Faith and Cordy came back, quietly inquiring on both Xander and Angel. Peeking in on the vampire and gifting him with cheerful, encouraging smiles that swiftly faded away as soon as they shut the door. Then they peeked in on Xander, hoping to see him awake but disappointed to see him still asleep. Sighing they shut the door softly before retreating to the living room to wait out the night with Wesley.

And as soon as the door was shut, Xander's eyes popped open. Exhaling a shaky breath and wincing slight he sat up in the strange bed. He was feeling too ashamed to see Cordy or Faith, two girls he had almost became seriously involved with. They knew what happened between him and Angel, they knew! And he felt the cloudy fog start trying to form in his mind. He grew more terrified with each passing hour that he was going to get lost again. And he fought the cloud, trying to hold on to Angel's promise of safety.

Every creak of the mansion had him jumping, every sigh of the wind against the windows had him cowering. He couldn't rest, he couldn't get comfortable. Nothing was the fuckin' same! And he angrily punched the pillow. It wasn't even his damn pillow! That's what the problem was: he needed his pillow to really get to sleep. And carefully, with a stealthiness that only he and Batman could pull off, he snuck back into his room. Sniggering at the three sprawled out on the couch.

“Xander, what are you doing in here?” came the harsh whisper that made him yelp and fall back against the door.

“Can you be any more louder?!” he sharply whispered back, then got lost in the splendor of Angel's body spread-eagle on the bed....

“Oh my...” he softly murmured before quickly giving himself a mental slap. Stop looking at him! Sure, he looks good...good enough to eat...a great big smorgasbord of vampirey goodness. But I don't eat men, I only like the girls. Quick think of breasts! Big, bouncy breasts. Nice wide pecs with fat nipples...leading to a pale washboard stomach, and that thick dick...

“GAH!” Xander moaned softly banging at his head.

“Xander, are you okay?” Angel watched the boy with confused eyes, sure that for half a second he smell Xander's arousal singeing the air.

“Yeah, yeah I'm okay...” he responded breathlessly, averting his eyes quickly from the pale body chained to the bed.

“Okay, now tell me what the hell are you doing here? I thought I told you not to come back into this room until morning,” Angel said harshly.

Xander shot the vampire an indignant look. “Hey pal, you're not the boss of me! I'm not even the boss of me! Just because we made lo...” he abrupt shut his mouth with a snap and carefully looked away. “I...I...couldn't stay asleep...because uhm...I...I wanted to...to take shower! Yea, that's it! A shower!” He darted into the bathroom quickly and turned on the water, hopefully to drown out Angel voice.

Quickly washing and drying himself, he dithered for a month before peeking out around the edge of the door. And met Angel's eyes head on. He sidled warily out of the bathroom, to the dresser drawers and withdrew his pajamas. Hiding behind the chair he dropped his towel and pulled on the bottoms with nervous fingers.

“Are you quite done...?” the other asked through gritted teeth.

Xander's head shot up and his eyes narrowed. “You know, for a person with chains wrapped around his wrists, helpless to defend himself...you're being awfully mouthy.”

Angel dropped his head back on the pillow, muttering something too faint for Xander to catch. And the boy's mouth tightened, that's MY pillow he's got his head on! Marching over to the bed, he yanked his pillow from under Angel's head, drawing a surprised grunt from the vampire.

“MY pillow!” Xander snapped at the open mouthed expression on Angel's face. “MY blankets and sheets, too!” Eyeing the bed, trying to figure out a way to get the vampire off his bedding so he could take them. He just knew he would be able to sleep real good if he just had his nice comfortable sheets. Reaching a decision, he began tugging at the sheets determinely.

“Xander, what is wrong with you...?” Angel asked in honest bewilderment gazing up at the boy.

“Wesley dumb ole sheets smell funny, they just don't smell...right,” Xander retorted, trying to understand what was it about his bed, his pillow that made him feel safe. He yawned mightily. The hot shower, combined with restless sleep slammed into him.

Smell? Smell! And understanding dawned in Angel's eyes. It was against his better judgment but Xander clearly needed to rest. “Why don't you lay down? I think I'll have enough time to wake you in case anything goes wrong.”

And the blinding smile that lit the boy's face made him grateful for this one last opportunity to be close to Xander. Feeling his breath catch in his throat as youthful figure clambered over him eagerly and slid under the covers. Plopping his pillow on Angel's outstretched arm, Xander settled down easily and was sound asleep.


Hours later, as dawn approached Angel drew in a hissing breath. His eyes flashed gold, then brown...features rippling, shifting from human to demon as a low sound rumpled through his chest, awaking Xander who was resting against the broad chest.

Twisting up, he met the savage deadly gaze of Angelus and drew back fearfully. Then Angel reappeared, his face one of agonizing pain but then Angelus returned, eyes promising death. And the chains rattled, groaned as the deadly vampire began exerting tremendous strength to what bound him.

“Where's the key, boy? Where is it! Get me the damn key!” he roared, hissing with rage as the human slithered rapidly off the bed.

“RELEASE ME, BOY!”

“WESLEY!” Xander screamed, racing for the door and was almost knock in the face when the others outside ran into the bedroom.

“Xander, what the hell...” Cordy began, when the figure in the bed starting screaming, body arching tautly on the bed. Writhing as if caught in vise, crying out hollowly in a voice filled with unbearable pain. Again and again, the muscular body arched in agony, bellowing in anguished rage.

Helplessly the four waited, drawing together for comfort and safety. Touching Xander gently on the shoulder, Faith regretfully offered him a stake. And with a shaking hand, he took it, turning back to the bed and prayed.


Angel and Angelus ripped into each other with increasing brutality. Both males were evenly matched in size, but it was Angelus rage that made him such a deadly opponent, but it was Angel intelligence that made him an even deadlier adversary. The could be only one outcome to this last battlefield. And Angelus grinned viciously he knew what awaited him on the outside, but at least he would destroy his despised soul first.

And with a roar of fury, he leapt with surprisingly quickness on Angel. Driving the other to the ground and pounding his fists into his twin's face. He loathe the sickening love the other felt for the walking food containers; the goodness that lurked within his souled self. He boiled with fury at how it made him feel...all icky. First that stupid blonde Slayer, now the boy. Though he must admit Angel did show a bit of amazingly good taste in his latest selection of bedpartner. His moment of distraction proved costly as Angel swiftly flipped them over and began choking his longtime nemesis.

How he hated his demon self. The sickening rage that would surge through him at time; the lust to rip the throats of the ones under his protection; the contempt Angelus felt for the humans. He seethed with rage at how it made him feel...all slimy. He knew that if he destroyed Angelus, that he would be effectively destroying himself. But he had to protect the others. He had to protect Xander.

Angelus managed to punch him in the face and scrambled away.

//Your affection for these humans is your weakness. But the boy....oh the boy is your true weakness!// Angelus sneered, circling his opposite self.

//Oh, like you don't fancy him yourself!// Angel spat, keeping his eyes on his adversary.

//True, but I can live without him.//Angelus smirked.

Angel snorted //Oh, haven't you heard? Denial is a river in Egypt.//

Angelus slowly straighten, his eyes narrowing, thinking swiftly. //If we join, IF we merge, we both will get what we want...freedom and the boy.//

//How do I know if I can trust you?// Angel retorted suspiciously.

Angelus smirked. //Now, would I lie to you?//

//Hell yeah!//

Angelus smiled wickedly. //You're not as dumb as you look.//

His smiled faded as he stared evenly at Angel. //We both want the same thing...freedom and the boy. If you kill me, you die. Without me, all the years this body has existed will catch up within an instant. If I kill you, your little pets can't allow me to roam free and I can't afford to let them live. Except for the boy, of course. But together we can survive as one individual. One mind, one body the way it was intended to be. It's still be the same, I think. Just more.//

//How can I trust you?// Angel groaned, badly wanting to trust his demon self. But the consequences would be too great.

//How can you not? My needs are simple: freedom, blood and Xander. Your desires are a little more complicated than mine but still the roots are freedom, blood and the boy. We both win, don't you understand you fuckin' idiot!// Angelus snarled, growing tired of trying to convince the other of the plan. He was very much surprised to hear Angel's quiet agreement.

//You agree?! Oh course, you agreed...it is after all a brilliant plan if I do say so myself...and I do.// Angelus smirked.

//So how do we do this?// Angel sighed, far to used to his demon counterpart's crowing.

Angelus held his hands up, palms facing outward. //We start like this. I bite you, and you bite me. And we'll begin to merge.//

//How do you know all of this?// Angel asked warily even as he approached the other.

Angelus rolled his eyes. //Why do I even bother with you?// he muttered.

//Look, did you bother to pay attention to that spell the Watcher cast...oh yeah, I forgot. You were a trifle *busy* at the time with our boy.// And he licked his lips lewdly.

//Will you just get on with it?// Angel retort through gritted teeth.

//If you bothered to listen to the spell been whispering how to merge for the last couple of minutes.//

Blinking Angel refocused his attention and indeed heard the whispering, echoing words repeated over and over.

//Then why the hell were you fighting with me?// he yelled.

And Angelus roared back, //Because I wasn't sure you would be willing to share. Your only thought has been to keep me locked up and away like some dirty little secret! What the hell did you expect me to do? Besides, I wanted a little payback for you getting to fuck the boy first. This way we BOTH get him and protect him, agreed?/

//Agreed.// and Angel stepped forward.

Pressing his palms against Angelus, he leaned into the other and felt pain blossom in his neck a half-second before he bit deeply into his demonic counterpart. Drinking down the rich blood, feeling himself being drained. They sank to their knees, leaning gratefully against each other for support...and slowly Angelus toppled over, and Angel fell into the other's body. Feeling himself draining away...

Xander crept forward, despite Wesley restraining hands as Angel stilled on the bed. The tortured cries finally becoming silent. Slowly he slithered up the foot of the bed, his eyes fixed on the pale face.

“Angel...? Angel, you're starting to scare me and you promised you wasn't gonna try to do that anymore, remember? You promised me! You better come back right now! You promised...you promised me! And who's gonna make me eat healthy foods? Cause...cause you know that I don't like eating that nasty stuff...I like twinkies and...and chocolate, but you...you make sure I eat that good stuff. And...and...and you promised that we was gonna talk in the morning and it's morning and I wanna talk. I wanna talk, damn you! So...so you gotta wake up and talk to me! If you wake up, I promised I'll be good, I won't make fun of you anymore, I won't call you names or...or anything. You said you'll help me be strong. Please, Angel I wanna talk.” He curled over Angel's chest, his throat thick with tears, rocking back and forth.

“Angel, I wanna talk...please Angel, please wake up...pleasepleaseplease,” his words were barely understandable, hiccuped through his tears.

Faith and Cordy both drew shuddering breath at the anguished pain in Xander's voice. And they sniffed back tears of their own, while Wesley's jaw tightened to control his feelings as he stepped forward to retrieve the grieving boy. He stopped abruptly as the manacles gently unlocked from around Angel's wrists, then began coiling silently away before being lowered to the floor.

And slowly Angel's arms closed around the trembling boy. “Shhhh, I'm awake...I'm okay. Me and Angelus just had something to discuss. Shhhhh, baby...it's okay...shhhhh, c'mon Xander, you're gonna make yourself sick,” he murmured, stroking soothingly over the shuddering back.

“An...Angel?” Xander looked up with a tear streaked face then punched Angel in the gut. “Don't you ever do that to me again, do you hear me?! You had me scared half to death, and that's NOT a good thing to be, you know, not with living on the Hellmouth! You idiot! You knucklehead! Ooooh, somebody give me a stake! You lousy stinking...umpf,” his words were cut off as Angel flipped them out and cut off the venomously spewing words with his mouth. Chuckling lightly as the angry lips softened and parted for him, allowing him to drink deep from the lush interior.

He lifted his mouth slowly, dimly aware that the other three had left the room. “I just want you to know that I'm still not gay,” Xander informed him solemnly before yanking Angel back down to his hungry lips.




Chapter 4

Giles stumbled down the stairs, yawning. His yawn turned into a howl of pain as he stepped on broken glass.

Muttering furious curses he hobble-walked to the stairs and sat down to pick out the sharp pieces of glass. Angry at those reckless children for...

He looked sharply at the glass fragment...the very *red* glass fragment. And he jumped to his feet with a shout of triumph, forgetting momentarily of the glass that was still imbedded in his foot. He sat back down hurriedly as pain flared brightly in his afflicted appendage.

After picking out the glass splinters, he doctored his foot upstairs before making his way back down the stairs. And trembling with excitement he vacuumed up the shattered globe before contacting Buffy and the others.

At last he would finally receive his due!

He tried contacting Quentin again, however it seemed that Travers was incommunicado. At least, according to his secretary. And Giles dismissed his erstwhile nemesis from further consideration with a twisted smile. Once he had the Protector's powers, he would deal with Travers. The older man wasn't the only one with hidden sources, he thought coldly, patting a bulging, tattered folder on which was written a single phrase: The Protector.

Soon after, Buffy and the others arrived. Each filled with a different emotion: for Buffy, it was hope and excitement; for Oz, it was cold satisfaction; and as for Willow, she was filled with nervous dread. And once again, she was troubled by nagging doubts about the wisdom of their actions.

But Xander had to have agreed since he got all groiny with Angel, she argued to herself. She just couldn't imagine Angel raping her friend...

Her friend.

She turned the word over in her mind. Xander was her friend, so why was she doing this to him? Her eyes fell on Buffy and Giles, talking quietly with Oz. And felt, not for the first time, a bit left out of all the little meetings they always seemed to be having without her.

Why was she doing this to Xander? A voice questioned softly in her mind. Then Giles, Buffy and Oz turned and smiled at her.

For the greater good, she thought, and hurried over to take her part in the spell.


Thirty minutes later, they stood in a loose circle in a glade just outside the town. Buffy and Oz regarded their muttering companions with uncomprehending eyes. Because of their unique natures, they could *feel * the magic happening around them, but they had absolutely no idea what the two magic users were actually doing.

Willow and Giles stood facing each other, while Buffy hurried over and occupied the center, she was so ready to received the power of the Protector.

“Are you ready?” Giles asked the red-haired witch, to which he received an almost eager nod. This was more magic than he had ever allowed her to try.

“Then let us begin...” And raising their voices, the two magic users began to chant.


Angel was stirred to half wakefulness at a restless movement from the bedmate resting in his arms. Coming fully awake, he stroked a hand fondly down the narrow chest. After last night, he never thought that he would again have Xander in his bed, much less in his arms but things...and he frowned as the boy gave a short cry.

“Xander?! Xander...wake up! You're having a bad dream,” Angel softly ordered the youth only to be met with a much louder cry. This time, one of intense pain.

“Omigod!” Xander curled around the pain. He felt like someone had huge hooks into his heart and was trying to yank it out.

Angel sat up hurriedly and tried to roll Xander over when the young man let out another piercing scream.

And blood began trickling from his ears and nose.

“WESLEY!” Angel bellowed, picking up the writhing figure and running for the bedroom door.

Wesley sat up and fumbled for his glasses as he scrambled out of bed at the sound of that panicky shout.

And stumbling out of their rooms, the three humans raced to the sound of the anguish screaming. Only to stop abruptly at the sight of Angel kneeling in the middle of the living room trying to restrain Xander's struggling body. And when Xander screamed again, they rushed to him.

Dropping to his knees, Wesley gasped at the sight of the blood on Xander's face.

“Dear God, they're attempting to do the spell!” he nearly shouted in horrified understanding.

“How can they?! They don't even know where he is,” Angel snarled over Xander's continuous screams. He held Xander tighter as the pain racked boy tried again to scramble away from him.

“It was my fault...” Cordy whispered, a dazed sick look in her eyes as she watched Xander writhe uncontrollably.

“NO! It was both of us,” Faith exclaimed sharply and turned to the angry men. “We ran into Oz and Willow at the store a couple of days ago, and me and Cordy was about to throw down on them. We said shit, they said shit back. But I don't know how they found us!”

“We never even mentioned you or where we were staying! And even when we were out we always checked to make sure no one was following us,” Cordy mumbled, still watching her friend twist and squirm in agony.

“Oz...it always comes back to that mangy puppy! I bet that little fuzzlebucket heard us that night discussing the prophecy. That runty, little bastard’s been playing all of us!” Angel growled savagely, rocking Xander in his arms.

“That clever little dick...” Wesley breathed hoarsely, his eyes burning with rage. “But he was in wolf mode at the time,” he protested.

But whatever Angel was going to say was cutoff as Xander gave a horrific, anguished scream. His body arched torturously despite Angel's restraining arms. And all they could do was watch with wide eyes as a glowing ball of energy emerged partially from Xander.

PAIN! That was what his world consisted of...nothing but sheer agony ruled his mind..his senses. No matter what, he couldn't even begin to attempt to get a handle on it and ride it out the way he did when his father beat him. It was everywhere, there was no where to go, there was no where to hide as agony invaded every hiding place. Every nook, every cranny was filled by the monstrous waves of pain.

And then a....window seemed to open. He could hear voices chanting, calling to him...one that even sounded like Willow's and he wanted to laugh and shout for joy. Good old Wills, he knew she wouldn't turn her back on him! She was trying to help him, so he held on. For her...for his Wills.

Then he was puzzled as a ...shape sorta drifted past him...from somewhere behind him. And he realized it wasn't help that Willow was giving him as his eyes rested on both Giles and Buffy in the circle with her.

“Willow...for God's sakes STOP! You're killing me...!” He couldn't help but to scream as pain seared through him again. By the jerk of her head, of all their heads he knew they heard him. They fuckin' HEARD him. But still they continued...continued trying to kill him.

And his shocked disbelief changed, hardened as grim determination kindled in him. Gave him the strength to resist their pulling whatever that glowing ball was, from him. If they wanted whatever this...this thing was, then he intended to make them pay. What the hell...he knew he was dead either way.

And he began systemically shutting down everything that wasn't essential to his survival at the moment. He put everything he had into holding onto the Glo-ball. Twitching as agony lacerated his exposed nerves and he hastily snipped off that part of him. He refocused his attention to holding on to the Glo-ball for as long as he could. He wanted them fuckin' drained by the time they killed him. And if he was very lucky, they wouldn't be able to move by sunset. Good thing we live on the Hellmouth with such helpful vampires always willing to extend a helping hand. Or a fang.


In the clearing Willow's head jerked as she heard Xander's scream of pain and she looked helplessly first at Buffy, then at Giles.

“For the greater good...!” Giles shouted over the howling wind that had kicked up in the wake of the spell. And sadly she nodded, continuing the spell. Giles promised her that this would hurt Xander, a lot really...but it wouldn't kill him. She knew that once Buffy was powered up, Xander would soon come around and things would go back the way they used to be: her and Xander supporting Buffy in her fight against the demons.

Once she, Buffy and Xander sat down over a nice big pile of Twinkies, chocolate chip cookies and Rocky Road ice cream, things would be worked out. They would sit down, talk, laugh and cry but they would be okay. They would be stronger after this...
misunderstanding.

Everything would be okay...once Xander forgave...she flinched and hastily corrected herself, once Buffy forgave him. Everything would be back to normal. It had to be, she thought desperately before she returned all her attention to pulling...retrieving the Protector from Xander.

And Xander continued throwing everything he had into the struggle. Wesley, Angel, Cordy and Faith didn't fight to bring him back only for him to give up at the first sign of trouble. If Giles and Buffy wanted the Glo-ball, then they damn well had better be prepared to pay for it.

The nearly silent struggle went on. And when he felt them pulling with all their strength, he...simply let it go with a scream and a grim inward smile as he saw all three blasted out of the circle.

Angel looked down in disbelief as a glowing ball of energy shot out of Xander with that last shriek of agony. He wondered at the tight smile of satisfaction on the boy's face before he noticed the fixed stare.

“Xander? Oh shit, Xander! Don't you dare do this! You're stronger than any of them! Don't give up...don't!” He yelled furiously shaking the boy, but knowing already that it was too late. Far too late.

Cordy raised a trembling hand to her mouth as tears fell down her face, while Faith blinked rapidly to control her tears.

“This can't be...” Wesley mumbled in disbelief as he gazed at the still figure in Angel's arms.

“Oi! Looks like Peaches got himself 'nother little boy to play with. Hold up! Good for ya, ya finally offed that annoying...” and Angel was snarling savagely in Spike's smirking face. Which completely disappeared as he saw the true extent of his grandsire's rage and instinctively cast his eyes down. Inwardly shivering and fearing the return of Angelus.

“Daddee...!” Drusilla squealed excited, then a sulky look settled on her face. “Not Daddee...it's only him,” she added in a vague dismissive tone. Her eyes grew brighter at the sight of Faith drawing Wesley and Cordy to their feet. The Slayer put herself in front of the two defensively.

“Look Spike, dinner!” and she vamped out, her eyes glowing with hot, sadistic humor.

“Stay away from them...” Angel ordered to his childe without taking his eyes off Spike, who was much smarter than Dru. Especially in her current state of madness.

She flickered a glance at her sire and hissed. “Bad man, you're not my dadd...” and Angel removed his attention from Spike long enough to brutally backhand her across the room.

“Is that enough of your 'daddee' for you to understand when I give you a goddamn order, you will OBEY?!” he roared at the shaken vampiress. “And just for the record, I'm not Angelus!”

Seeing the situation was well under control, Wesley dropped back down to Xander’s side. Continuing to stare in puzzlement at the still body, as did Cordy and Faith in sorrow.

Meanwhile, in the glade the three humans picked themselves slowly off the ground from where they had fallen.

Buffy groaned then shouted in triumph at the glowing sphere floating in the middle of the circle.

“Giles, it worked! It worked!” she screamed jumping to her feet. She grinned impishly. “All ready and willing to be powered up, Sir!” She snapped off a mock salute to Giles.

Giles groaned as he used the very helpful tree that broke his fall to get to his feet.

“I'm afraid that I have some rather distressing news,” he winced and placed a hand to his bruised back.

“Giles, I can tell ya right now that if this involves me not getting my Angel back and not becoming Wonder Slayer, I'm gonna seriously reconsider nominating you as Watcher of the Year,” she warned him solemnly.

“Well, Angel is your responsibility, detestable as I may find your relationship to be. Unfortunately the Protector's powers are unable to be transferred to a Slayer. Which leaves only Oz and myself as the next logical choices since Willow will need to cast the spell,” he explained calmly and surreptitiously cast a look at Oz. He noted how the boy whispered softly in Willow's ear and snorted. That foolish girl's feelings were always visible for anyone with eyes to see.

He suspected that Oz told her to ensure that he was the recipient of the power. Foolish boy, as if he would ever allow a werewolf to be the possessor of such fearsome powers. He had already made sure that the words Willow unknowingly spoke would transfer the power directly to him.

Buffy cast a dark look at Giles, pissed that he waited until *now * to tell her this. Despite what people thought, she was not quite as dumb as they thought she was. She saw the scared look Willow gave Giles and had a feeling that wolfie was about to pull the ole double-cross. Her lips twisted in a cold smile. Too bad the rules about not killing humans didn't exactly apply to werewolves.

Once this was done, she hoped to have wild monkey sex with her sweet Angelcake. She knew her juices would definitely be flowing once she got rid of Faith, Cordy and Wesley. And especially Xander. He definitely had to go... he should be grateful that she was going to allow him to leave without kicking his faggoty, little ass.

She and Giles exchanged cool looks...Watcher and Slayer were united.

Willow took an unhappy, shuddery breath. This was so not of the good. She would even go so far as saying this was like the Hindeberg disaster. Why did Oz put her in this mess? Whispering that if she loved him she would make sure he got the power instead of Giles. Of course, she loved him! But was it the best decision?

Her ruminating thoughts were cut off by a bright flash then unimaginable *PAIN* slammed into her. Her eyes, wide and startled, were locked on the glowing sphere as three other bright streaks of lights stabbed into Buffy, Oz and Giles. Forcing a scream of pain from all four.

And they screamed, high and loud in agony as they were lifted into the air, anchored to the energy source. Higher and higher their spasmactically, jerking bodies rose...four feet...six feet...eight feet...ten feet as their minds and souls were invaded, seized in a iron grip.

And an unnerving, cold intelligence examined them with relentless thoroughness. There was no place they could hide from that searing search light that illuminated the darkness of their souls.

All Willow could do was scream and scream in horror as her every thought, feelings of insecurities, all her negative shameful thoughts were brought to the forefront of her mind.

She was released and heard a succession of screams from the others and could only assumed that they were receiving the same ruthless treatment. And she heard the muffled thuds as their bodies hit the ground and lay on the leaf strewn ground sobbing, her voice grown hoarse from screaming.

There was silence except for her muffled sobs and the gasping moans from the others as the pain eased slightly.

~YOU ARE NOT WORTHY~

Those words echoed in their minds with cold precision before they were blasted into unconsciousness by that icy, remote voice.


“Angel!” Wesley shouted as the bright sphere flashed back and slowly sank back into Xander's body.

Forgetting about Spike, Angel was back at Xander's side. He carefully lifted the boy into his arms, hardly daring to believe as he saw the chest rise once...twice...three times in rapid succession. And looking up, Angel smiled shakily at Wesley, then looked back down to see dazed, brown eyes flutter open.

“Am I a vampire? Cause I really thought I was dead about a minute ago. For some reason, I always imagined the waking up part would be less painful and more grrrr, ya know,” he rasped out weakly. Then his eyes widened in amazed horror.

And in a hoarse, audible whisper, “Angel, the Gruesome Twosome are here! Kill them quick!” He didn't quite get why Angel and the others laughed at him. And hurt, he tried to move off of Angel's lap...he squeaked and hurriedly tried to escape the vampire's encompassing embrace. He flushed in embarrassment at being seen in such a position. What he and Angel did in the bedroom was their own damn business but he knew...he just knew that whatever they did in full view of everyone somehow became Everybody's business.

Then Spike and Drusilla glided closer to them and he reconsidered his decision to escape his Angel's embrace...and since when did Angel become his property?

Gah! He was definitely on the verge of crossing that fine line into gayness, he thought unhappily.

“Oooh, it's the lil'l dark kitten. Bad Angel, you hurt my sweet lil'l kitten! There shall be no tea or biscuits for you!” Dru scolded her sire angrily. Her face was pulled in a stern frown. Then her mercurial mood switched to one of concern as she hurried over to the bloodstreaked boy.

“Must clean your face,” she patiently explained as she held Xander's face still and wiped away the blood from his face with her shawl. She settled back on her haunches with a look of childish satisfaction on her face at the mortal's now much cleaner face. “There! Isn't that better? You may kiss him, now,” she said, waving a hand imperiously between Angel and Xander.

Angel merely groaned, recognizing that Dru had slipped into one of her more prevalent fantasises: one of being perfectly normal.

“Yes, Angel do kiss him…” Cordy snickered at the horrified look that was on Xander's face. He looked like he didn't know whether to scream or run away. She bit her lip hard and tried to control her fit of giggles at the annoyed look Angel shot her. Then her eyes narrowed at the other person stepping into the mansion even as Wesley came smoothly to his feet with a grimace of distaste.

“Ethan Rayne…” his name was said flatly by the young Watcher and Ethan smirked.

“My, my, my but what do we have here? A Slayer, A Watcher, three vampires and two humans. Congratulation Angel, it appears that you're forming quite a collection of...individuals.”

Angel stood up slowly, easing Xander from his lap. He remembered only too well the last time Ethan was in Sunnydale and his eyes became a mixture of shifting colors. One moment gold, the other moment brown before finally settling on gold.

“Angel wait!” Wesley grabbed at the lunging vampire, a fine tremor running through him at the savage visage that was turned to him. “I didn't have time to tell you last night. I received a reply from the Council…the Shadow Council as a matter of fact,” he continued steadily. Ignoring for the moment the two girls muttering behind his back about ‘nobody ever tells them anything’.

“Ethan Rayne is here on behalf of that Council,” he added with a half-hearted sigh of regret.

Ethan gave him a sour glance. There was a look of extreme vexation on his thin, fox-like face. “Must you deprive me of my only source of amusement?! I'm under strict orders not to bedevil Rupert and now you ruin my other avenue of amusement. Bloody tosser!” he muttered under his breath. Spike grinned, he had a feeling that perhaps he and the gent would have an effing time plaguin' his bleedin’ grandsire.

And with Drusilla’s dubious help, Xander managed to get to his feet. However, he was constantly slapping away Angel’s hands as the vampire was determined to push the boy behind him in an effort to keep him safe.

Wesley regarded the unequal duel with bemused eyes as Drusilla got into the game of slapping hands. There was a look of pure childish delight that transformed her pale face into a thing of beauty. Sighing, the young Watcher shook his head before speaking, “Angel he's here to help.”

“Help?! How? Oh, I know! when our backs are turned he'll change Xander into a demon or something,” Angel retorted sarcastically. He finally won the war and forced the boy firmly behind him.

“Actually, old boy, were I to try something like that at this very moment, I'm quite sure the Protector would take great exception to my feeble attempts. I am quite unwilling to risk jeopardizing myself for a rather harmless bit of fun and I assure you that I am extremely fond of my skin,” Ethan drawled evenly before going down on one knee and bowing his head.

“My Lord, the Shadow Council begs your forgiveness for not greeting you in person. However, with your awakening, many of the more fearful demons will seek to exterminate your host body. The Shadow Council has disbanded and no longer guides the Council of Watchers. Your Shadow Warriors walk among the world to ensure your safety.” Finishing, Ethan extended a large package and Xander was finally able to step from behind a frozen Angel to accept the offering.

But it wasn't Xander that spoke next, however.

“My thanks to the Shadow Warriors. I realize that it was a most difficult task I entrusted them with. They have more than proven my faith in them,” came a cold precise voice from Xander's lips.

“Whoa....Xander, Cordy whispered in disbelief. Even the way he stood was different. Ramrod straight, confident self-assurance radiated from him.

He turned towards her. And glowing white eyes flickered over the frozen mortals and immortals alike. “Not quite. I am the Protector. So created to maintain the balance between the Dark and Light. I am the final arbitrator among demon wars, human battles and the wars between humankind and demonkind. I am the Guardian of this dimension, this world against otherworld invasion.” Then the expression abruptly changed…

“Is it cool or what?!” Xander exclaimed excitedly then his expression became remote again as control shifted back to the Protector.

“But…but I thought you were just a weapon,” Angel stammered, looking increasingly bewildered.

“I AM a weapon, inasmuch as your hand can be classified as a weapon,” came the cool retort.

“Your acolytes bid me to say that your awakening created a rippled effect in the material world. It was strongly advised that the vampire seek out allies for your protection until you become stronger or the boy is better able to protect and defend himself.” Ethan rose smoothly to his feet before continuing. “I believe that between young Wesley and myself we will be more than capable to hold off any magical attacks, however, there are also the physical attacks that will inevitably penetrate our defenses.”

“You know, I am so not liking this,” Xander shook his head slowly and backed against Angel. The vampire sighed and looked slightly dismayed.

“Oi! Now, I think I’m gonna enjoy this,” Spike remarked with a malicious smug smile. He knew of only one place Angel could take Xander for safekeeping.

“There's someplace where we can go,” Angel announced reluctantly. “But it's in New York and we’ll be lucky if we don’t get killed for going there,” he added grimly, already planning on how to get his charges to New York City without getting himself, along with Dru and Spike, killed.

“Where…?” Wesley regarded the vampire with puzzled eyes.

“House of Aureli,” Spike replied with grim humor. If Peaches was able to pull this off he would kiss his bloomin' arse a thousand time.

“First up, how the hell are we gonna get there with members of the Undead Society riding shotgun?” Faith demanded, gesturing to the three vampires.

“I think I might have an idea,” Cordy answered slowly. “Let me go get dressed. Then I'll call Dad and see about the camper,” she tossed over her shoulder as she started back towards the bedrooms.

“And what about Buffy and the others?” Faith asked quietly, throwing an apologetic look at Xander. “They ain’t gonna give up you know, especially once they find out the spell didn’t work and kill Xander.”

“They already know…” Xander interrupted her harshly, wrapping his arms around himself as if for protection. “She knew and Giles knew what pulling Astroboy from me would do. I think Oz kinda knew but Willow…I think she suspected what would happen but she went right along with the fuckin’ plan like the good little witch she is. Oh yeah, they knew. They fuckin’ knew!” And a bitter laugh came from his lips before he turned and looked up at Angel.

The one that looked after him, the one that did everything in his power to help him, to protect him from his so-called ‘friends’…and Xander swallowed hard.

“It wasn’t true what Cordy said,” he began abruptly. “When she said I was trying to protect her and everybody…it wasn’t exactly the truth. Yeah sure, that was part of the reason but another part was because I was jealous as hell of you and hated you for making me feel weak and worthless.” He drew in a shuddering breath at the blank look that descended on Angel’s face, but he forged on.

“When you first started hanging with us, I was pissed as hell. You were big, strong and obviously far more manly than me. Than I ever could be, actually. All that nobility and brooding shit. I could see both Willow and Buffy falling for you. And you had no idea how happy I was when I found out that you were a vampire. All I could think was AHA! Buffy will never completely fall for you, you're nothing but a goddamn bloodsucking fiend...you were one of the demons that she was supposed to be defending us poor, helpless humans from. But oh nooooo, not Ms. Buffy Summers. She marched to her own little beat...she always had to do the unexpected. Man, she was so strung out over you that even when Angelus came to pay his respects to Sunnydale, she was still blinded by you and your ‘Angel charms’.” His lips jerked almost uncontrollably in a morbid grin. A mere stretch of his lips, totally lacking of any type of humor.

“And, ya know...I still wasn’t good enough in the great Buffina’s eyes. Not that I wanted her or was strung out on her anymore, cuz, like, I had Cordy. But I was still tired of always coming in fuckin' last!” He almost shouted, blinking back the hot, bitter tears that threatened to fall.

“The only time she ever seemed to need me was when she wanted donuts, or a rocket launcher or just plain needed someone to do something for her that SHE didn't want to sully her hands with. In order of importance was herself, her mom, Giles, Angel, Willow and then came little ole me. Hell, even Angelus came before me.”

“So, when Angelus came along, I thought that this would be my chance to prove myself to her, to everyone that I wasn’t some pathetic little jester that she kept around...ya know, just for laughs, ya see? I had skills and I thought that, at last, people would see me as…as…as some kinda…uhm…knight protecting Queen Buffy and the kingdom of Sunnydale from the evil forces that would destroy it.” Tears were now spilling freely down his face as he gazed up into Angel’s stony face. Cordy, having re-entered the room, also listened without a visible trace of emotion.

“And ya know what the funny thing was? That the only one that ever called me that was Angelus. Angelus the fuckin' psycho. He called me Buffy’s White Knight in the hospital when she was sick. God, I was so scared that he would get past me and kill Buffy! But he didn’t, cuz I made him back off. Me! Xander Harris made one of the Scourges of Europe back down. And she didn’t even know how close to death she came that night. But I kept her safe! I protected her that night! And what did I get in return? A broken wrist when Willow tried to re-soul you, because Buffy wanted her Angel back!” He spat out with venom, angrily pacing back and forth, lost in his memories of that night.

“Angel, Angel, Angel…all Buffy and Willow could care about was you. I was the one that tried to protect Cordy, Willow and her but she wanted her precious Angel back, no matter who had to pay the price for the sake of her happiness. Kendra died that night, did you know that? Giles was kidnapped and tortured, Willow was in a coma and I had a cast on...all for the sake of Buffy getting her boyfriend back.” Here he paused and refused to look at his horrified listeners. Even he was appalled at the level of bitterness he had harbored towards Angel.

He cleared his throat and continued huskily. “So when Willow told me to tell Buffy to stall, I lied. Part of it was to keep everyone safe but another part of me wanted Angelus gone. Gone forever from my life and everyone else’s life. I wanted Angelus to pay for scaring us, for hurting us and so many other people. For killing Jenny. And I wanted you gone for making me feel like I was nothing, like I was a worthless piece of shit…for being everything I was not. And it was only when I got Giles out that I realized that the second I lied, I BECAME that worthless piece of shit. But it was too late…you were gone and so was Buffy.”

“And that summer, I tried to be like you, tried to be the man you were. I tried to hold us together…in remembrance of you. I was going to spend the rest of my life defending the Hellmouth, just like you and Buffy. It wouldn’t bring you back but it would be my way of finding redemption. I figured that I had a whole lotta karma to go through to make up for what I did to you. Just because I was a weak, worthless jackass wasn’t a reason to send you to hell.”

“I wasn’t even pissed at you when you returned...I was more pissed at Buffy for keeping you a secret. And when Faith’s ex-Watcher whacked Giles across the head? While I wasn’t exactly sure why you would try to kill him, but I was willing to give you the benefit of the doubt. Hell, there were times I wanted to kill him myself,” he shrugged, looking down at his feet.

“I can…I can understand if you didn’t want to have anything to do with me anymore,” he continued hoarsely. “I just…just hope that maybe you’ll give me another chance,” he ended quietly, gazing up at Angel with a tearstreaked face.

He flinched slightly when Angel touched his face. “Do you know how many times Spike has tried to kill me and yet still I allow him back into my home? He is the Childe of my Childe.”

“Does that mean you forgive me...?” Xander asked hopefully, his face falling when Angel slowly shook his head.

“No forgiveness…at least not yet, but we can get past this. You’ve tried to correct your mistakes and have tried to redeem yourself. If I rejected your efforts at redemption, then what does that say about me?” He asked quietly.

“So it’s like a two for one deal, huh? We both work towards our redemption,” Xander suggested, giving the other a hesitant smile.

Angel smiled in return. “I can live with that.”

“Okay now that this little Hallmark moment is over,” Cordy said caustically, striding further into the room. “We have a camper that Daddy bought a couple years ago for a little,” and she did the bunny quotes, “Family bonding. We didn’t even make it out of the driveway before we started arguing. Too much family togetherness can really tear a family apart.”

“Anyway, daddy’s letting us take it, the only thing we’re gonna have to worry about is fueling it and food for everyone,” she glanced around the room in satisfaction.

Xander glanced at her then Faith, and as one they screamed…

“ROADTRIP!”

“And what about Giles and the others?” Wesley interjected as the voice of reason.

“Astroboy knocked them out and they’ll be out for a good couple of hours,” Xander grinned cheekily then his expression abruptly changed.

“Child, I am the Protector or Guardian if you need another name to address me. I am NOT Astroboy…and do not even think of voicing the name Glo-boy out loud,” the energy warned Xander sternly, ever mindful of the smiles the others were trying to suppress. But it had a feeling that this may be a battle it would not win.

“Wesley, Faith, you two come with me to pick up the camper. The rest of you, I suggest start emptying the cabinets of food and blood. And we’re gonna need cash not credit cards. I have feeling that Willow and her computer are an extremely dangerous combination,” Cordy said heading for the door.

“Ya gonna listen to that silly bird?” Spike had remained silent for long enough. His eyes were wide as he watched everyone scramble to do what the girlie told them to do.

“You got a better idea?” Cordy swung around with a challenging look at him.

“No but…” he began sulkily.

“Then shut the hell up! We need to get the hell out of Sunnydale. One thing I do know is that a moving target is extremely hard to hit. Not impossible but hard. And if Dr. Strange,” she gestured at Ethan who raised a cool brow in amusement, “Is right, then were gonna have a lot of company trying to find us.”

“Us…?” Xander asked softly.

Cordy swung her attention to him. “Somebody’s gotta go with you bunch of dweebs to add a bit of class to this little trip and make sure that Angel continues to treat you right,” she replied briskly. Trying to make sure people didn’t suspect that she actually cared.

Angel nodded wisely, willing to go along with her lie. “Yes and you need to protect the camper.”

“Exactly!” She looked triumphantly around the room and scowled. “Why is everybody still standing around?! We’re on borrowed time people, so chop-chop!”

And within four hours, they were headed out of Sunnydale. Angel brought along a stash of cash, amounting almost to $50,000 while Wesley and Faith procured enough quality blood for the vampires for several weeks. That was assuming Angel would forbid the younger vampires to hunt. And with a cool look at the childer of his line, Angel assured everyone that the two would maintain ‘table’ manners.

The only time there came a problem was when Angel insisted that Cordy, Faith and Ethan take Xander shopping. Xander naturally resisted, claiming that his clothes were good enough and that was enough to start a blazing, roaring argument before Xander stalked away into their bedroom with a stiff angry back. Actually fled would have been more accurate.

“Why won’t he let me buy him new clothes?” Angel asked in bewilderment. “I’m just trying to show him that we can fix things between us.”

And there was an uncomfortable silence in the room before Wesley sighed. “Because you threaten him.”

“The hell I did!” Angel shouted in shock.

“As a matter of fact you do, old boy. Not physically, but his belief in himself. If I’m not mistaken, the boy is what…17, 18 years old? He has, perhaps, never had one thought about a same sex relationship in his life. But here he is, in a quasi relationship with a male and a vampire, to boot. You are one of the creatures he’s been in battle with for almost a year. And now you appear to be forcing him into a submissive role. Boys at his age are very touchy about their masculinity, perhaps feeling as if the world views them as children still. You come along and offer to be his ‘daddy’. He doesn’t understand where this will lead him, if he allows you to buy his clothes…to take care of him.” Ethan’s voice was somber as he spoke.

“And besides,” Faith spoke up into the quiet pause. “ He wears those shirts for a reason, same reason why I always wear pants.” She smiled tightly at the looks on the humans faces before she walked away. Cordy blinked remembering the scars on her roommate's legs and really wished she had the ones that put those marks on Faith in front of her.

Angel knocked quietly on the bedroom door then entered. He stood there simply watching Xander throw his meager belongs into a plastic bag.

“I’m not your little fucktoy or your pet, so I don’t need you to play my Sugardaddy,” Xander said harshly without looking at the vampire.

“I know and understand that. All I was trying to do was show you that I’m not precisely mad at what happened or that you lied. I know that you may not believe me, but Xander I want to start this thing that we have…that’s growing between us…I want to begin a fresh page. I would like to be your friend, someone you can count on, someone you could perhaps come to love,” he whispered huskily as he drew closer to Xander, who was looking at him with a softening expression. “And I want you to be that same person to me. Through necessity, we had the sex first which confuses the hell out of shit and now we need to go back to the beginning and just…talk.” He leaned down and kissed Xander softly.

“And kiss…” he breathed softly, nibbling gently at the luscious lips until they parted willingly under his.

“…and touch…” His hands trailed up and down a warm back.

He slowly drew back. “But most of all we need to talk.”

Xander shuddered. How was it possible that Angel could get him so revved up? He went from 0 to 120 in little over two minutes!

“Talk…yeah I can do talking…kissing too! So talk…friends…then sex?” he asked hopefully, his eyes bright.

And Angel chuckled at the eagerness on his boy’s face. “Most definitely…” he replied tenderly.

Then Xander frowned. “And the clothes?” He asked suspiciously.

The other man lost his smile. “You’ve been wearing Wesley’s clothes for almost two weeks. I just…I just wanted you to have something I provided you…something of your own that was new…” Angel gestured almost helplessly.

“And something that wasn’t...Wesley's?” Xander shrewdly guessed with a flash of insight that people didn't often suspect. He knew he was right at the discomforted look that flickered on Angel’s face.

He sighed. “Alright...how much money do I hafta spend?” If this…thing between them was gonna work he had to some compromising too.

“No, you don’t need to do this. My problem, I’ll deal with it,” Angel protested firmly.

“Friends help friends deal with their problems. What kinda friend would I be if I wasn’t willing to help out a friend?” Xander poked at Angel’s chest. Then daringly, he stretched up and kissed Angel, his face flaming a bright red. He dropped his eyes then he smiled contentedly when Angel drew him into a cool embrace.


Cordy, Faith and Xander had a wild, fun time shopping while Ethan trailed behind them. His foxy face twitched in distaste at some of the garish colors on the multitude of racks. Wondering for the hundredth time what lunatics would actually wear these loud colors. Then his eyes grew cold as a trio of demons began heading their way.

“We need to go…NOW!” He barked and grabbing Xander, he began hustling them all away. Snarling at the two girls to 'get a move on it!'. Cordy gasped when she looked back, hearing screams erupting behind them as the demons shifted forms.

“SHIT!” She raced after the other two with Faith bringing up the rear. The four charged at breakneck speed through the mall and finally reached the outside. Throwing the bags into the backseat, they scrambled in and roared off just as the demons exited the shopping mall.

They made it back to the mansion, quickly explaining the situation and they were soon heading for New York City.


Around sunset, Willow slowly came conscious. Vividly aware of the various aches and pains surging and rippling through her body. She hurt in places she didn’t even know existed until now, and she hardly dared to breathe. Then she became aware of arguing voices and a slight frown disturbed her face.

“.…hell didn’t it work?!” Buffy demanded to Giles angrily, however, he was just as angered as she.

“If I knew the answer, don’t you think I would tell you?!” He whirled on her savagely. His eyes glittered with a cold almost terrifying fury that made both Oz and Buffy step back warily.

“Not knowing the answer,” Oz nodded rapidly. “We get it.” He maintained a careful watch on Giles, though.

Buffy took a deep breath to control her futile rage. It wouldn’t do any good to piss Giles off, no telling what her Watcher might do as mad as he was. And she eyed him uneasily, having never seen this side of him before.

“Okay, let’s all take a moment and figure this out,” she said authoritatively and began pacing.

“First, the spell seemed to work and the Protector was here…then it, or something electroblasted us…then I remember hearing the words 'You’re Not Worthy'?” She said the last doubtfully.

“What the hell does that mean…?” She turned a puzzled look at her Watcher.

Giles shook his head with a sigh. “I heard the same thing and as yet I still don’t understand what happened or who could have interfered. At first, I assumed it was Xander, however by all rights he should have died once the Protector was pulled from him.”

“Okay, so Xander is dead right? We don’t have to worry about him anymore?” Buffy asked, feeling a little relieved that Xander was now out of the picture.

“Jealous?” Oz smirked at her.

Buffy snorted in contempt. “Of that little queer? Please! Like Angel would prefer Xander’s faggoty ass over me!” She replied in a voice rich with derision.

“Children, if you please!” Giles snarled, rubbing at his temples in annoyance. “We must focus on why the spell did not work and where is the power of the Protector.”

“Wesley? Faith….Cordelia?” Buffy tossed out names tentatively. Her face falling at Giles’s quick head negation.

“While excellent guesses, had it been any of them, I seriously doubt we would still be alive,” Giles replied ruefully.

“Then where…” Buffy stopped when Oz grabbed at her arm. She gave him a furious look, then noticed his attention was directed behind them.

Willow lay still on the leafy forest floor and slow tears leaked from her tightly clenched eyes. And her body quaked with her need to muffle the scream of denial that wanted to erupt from her mouth.

NO! This can’t be happening! She kept screaming over and over in her mind. Buffy didn’t want Xander dead…neither did Oz or Giles. She had to have heard wrong. She had too!

She became aware that the arguing voices had stopped. Willow opened her eyes as Buffy turned to face her with a blank look in her eyes and a wide empty smile on her lips. And she finally allowed herself to see the cold look that was deeply rooted in Buffy’s eyes…the look of deceit in Giles’s face and the hatred in her boyfriend’s eyes for Xander.

“All lies…it was all lies that you told me. Everything that you told me…” she whispered brokenly, slowly gaining to her feet. She swayed drunkenly, but kept her disbelieving eyes fixed on them.

Buffy glanced up at Giles, then back to Willow. “Not everything was a lie…a virgin still needed to be used to retrieve the Protector.” She shrugged unconcernedly to her horrified friend.

“But Xander…” Willow held her ribs as she tried to talk around the godawful pain in her side.

“Well, yes, Xander would have been a casualty in the spell. However, it was for the greater good,” Giles replied coolly. There was no remorse in his eyes at all for the mortal boy.

Willow swallowed heavily as she looked at Oz. “And the flowers…the dinner…that night we…that night you and I…” And she thought she would throw up as she recalled that night. Her dream night was now a nightmare of betrayal.

Oz raised a brow eloquently but remained silent.

“But he’s our friend; he loved and trusted us…” she finally wailed.

“And this was his chance to prove his love and loyalty. Obviously he failed,” Buffy retorted harshly before she turned to Giles.

“That’s the only thing I can think of…maybe Xander wasn’t a virgin anymore when him and Angel…” she broke off. She didn’t want to think of what her beloved Angel had been forced to do with Xander. She was definitely going to have to find a way to make it up to him. And a lustful gleam began flickering in her eyes.

“Of course!” Giles exclaimed, looking relieved. “Clearly he must had have had some type of intercourse, perhaps with one of the girls and neglected to tell Angel of his non-virgin status.”

Oz grinned mockingly at Buffy. “Oops!”

All three were ignoring the sobbing, betrayed red-head during the discussion. Giles looked up at the sky and started. “It’s almost sunset! We need to get indoors as soon as possible,” he quickly said.

“Hey Wills, let’s go. Ooooh, you guys wanna go to the Bronze tonight?” Buffy called to the distraught girl.

Willow looked at them angrily. “My God! Don’t you feel anything? Shame? Guilt? SOMETHING?!” Her voice was a shriek of pain as she regarded the trio in horrified disbelief.

“Uhm, nooo….” Buffy replied slowly, looking puzzled.

Oz simply rolled his eyes.

“You betrayed Xander…he was our friend!” Willow shouted as her eyes glittered with rage.

“Not mine…” Oz replied coolly. “Besides, you were in the thick of things yourself.”

And her mouth worked soundlessly as Giles and Buffy looked on. “But I didn’t know…you didn’t tell me what…” she burst out desperately, looking wildly at them.

“Please!” Oz retorted succinctly. “You tried to close your eyes to what was going on! But you knew…you knew what that spell would do…what it was intended for and what it would do to your precious Xander. So don’t give me any of that ‘I didn’t know' shit!”

“Bronze now?” Buffy asked plaintively. All this spelling and stuff had her motor going, then a new thought occurred to her.

“Hey, Giles, do you think the spell for Angel’s soul worked?” She turned eagerly to her Watcher. Her face was bright with joy and excitement.

Giles rolled his eyes. He was always disgusted by his Slayer’s barely restrained desire for her vamperic lover. “More than likely, yes…” he sighed.

“C’mon guys, let’s get the hell out of here! I got plans for tonight!” Buffy exclaimed cheerfully, nearly bouncing in place in her eagerness to get to Angel.

“What?! Do you really think I want to be around you three…after what you…after what we did?” Willow exploded in disbelief.

Buffy turned slowly to face Willow, her face hard and cold. “Where else are you gonna go?” She asked quietly, holding the other girl’s eyes with a chilly stare. And she extended her hand calmly to the red-headed girl.

Willow looked at Giles and Oz, finding equally frosty looks on their faces. She swallowed, fear trembling in her limbs at the prospect of being without no one in her life. Oz was right, she thought in despair…all she had to do was open her eyes. She knew what they were doing was wrong, but still she went along with the plan because she wanted to belong. And with Buffy, even with Xander…she had someone to belong to, a group to belong.

She honestly thought that Xander would cave in and come back to the group. She never figured that he was strong enough to make it as an outsider when he took a stand against Buffy. She, Jess and Xander had been part of each other’s lives for so long that she didn’t know what it was like NOT to be part of a group.

And while their little group was small, they were together. Even when Jesse was…gone, her and Xander remained together, desperately shoring each other up. She was his shield against the world and he was her rock to lean on. And she knew that if she removed herself as Xander’s shield that he wouldn’t last more than three days, he needed her too much to stay away from her that long. But he surprised her.

As Willow looked at Buffy’s outstretched hand, she came to a stunning conclusion: Xander was her shield as well…

...and she took Buffy’s hand.

Why couldn't Xander be weak...why did he have to leave her alone?




Chapter 5

Angel and Spike drove at night while Wesley and Ethan drove during the day. Xander shifted his waking time to keep Angel company during the night hours of driving. Finding a certain comfort in being next to the vampire.

Sometimes they just shared a bed during the day or simply relaxed in front of the TV or just listened to music. However Angel did put his foot down with Cordy and Xander about school. They were both required to study for at least two hours per day. He had no intention of allowing the two to have to repeat a grade. Then his eyes turned speculatively to Faith, he was going to have to figure out what to do about her as well. Because he had no intention of letting such an amazing mind languish in darkness. He saw the wistful gleam in her eyes when her two friends were studying.

They made infrequent stops along the way, allegedly to stretch their legs which was just a thin, pitiful excuse to just get away from each other. Or they would accomplished what the hunters after them dearly wanted. Fortunately for them, they were only discovered by the demons hunting them five times, but they managed to escape or kill their attackers.

And it was during one of their stops, Wesley decided to take the opportunity to, hopefully, get some answers from Ethan. Both he and Angel had come to the conclusion that they needed all the ammunition on Rupert Giles as they could possibly find. And who better to give them answers than Ethan Rayne? Of course, they realized that the man would undoubtedly lie, but they felt up to the challenge of sorting truth from the lies.

Ethan lay sprawled on the picnic table, idly smoking a cig he had bummed from that blonde vampire. His lips quirked upwards in wry amusement. Despite Spike’s clearly very much dead status, the caustic vampire had more life in him than their fellow countryman, Wesley.

They were both having quite a rousing good time needling their respective puffed up targets, he to Wesley and Spike to Angel. He chuckled in amusement at how the lean, wiry vampire would behave in the most annoying, infantile fashion. It was driving Angel barmy, it was. Spike had a most uncanny knack of knowing when to stop needling Angel and allow the fuming vampire to settle down before re-applying the pressure once again. Somehow, he managed to keep his grandsire at a nice simmering boil of frustration.

Ethan choked back the guffaws that were trying to escaping, managing to reduce them to snorts of amusements. If Spike asked Angel one more time 'Are we there yet?' he was certain the senior immortal would attempt the impossible...he would try to strangle the annoying blonde. What was even funnier, something that he didn't think anyone other than Spike and him noticed, was in the watchful, dark eyes of the children...they were furiously taking notes. And written at the top was 'How to annoy Angel in twelve easy steps'.

He felt a profound sense of admiration for the wiry vampire. Not many vampires would willingly continue to mock or sneer at a vampire of Angel’s caliber. Even if the dark vampire was a bit of a twat.

At hearing footsteps coming from his right, he turned his head to see that annoying git of a Watcher coming towards him. He had been aware for several days of Wesley's nervously contemplative look and the questions the other man was almost dying to ask him. Ethan lip curled upwards and a dark look crept into his eyes. The silly boy should be careful of what he wish for and considering that they were traveling with three vampires, he might just might get his bloody wish. He grinned at the play on words.

And taking another drag from his cigarette Ethan sat up, he regarded the dogged look on the younger man’s face with a sardonic eye.

“Well? Get on wit’ it…” he finally drawled out looking vaguely annoyed.

Wesley started, blinking rapidly in confusion. There was just something about Mr. Ethan Rayne that was severely off putting, to say the least.

But he screwed up his determination and proceeded to his self-appointed task. “Ah...
uhm...you seem to have a rather extreme dislike for Mr. Giles…” he began hesitantly.

Ethan raised a brow as a cool look descended on his face. “Is that your question? Because, frankly my dear chap, this will be your only opportunity to ask me whatever you wish. I feel myself in a rather magnanimous mood.” And he stretched lazily. But beneath hooded eyes, he watched the young man eyes trail up and down his body. Amused and charmed a bit, that the younger man found him attractive. He wondered how he might turn this to his advantage.

“I have a question,” Angel interjected quietly as he came up behind the Watcher. He ignored the startled jump the other gave as he allowed all his senses to come into play. Giving a quick, sidelong look at Wesley before refocusing his attention on Rayne. One way or the other, he was determined to get some answers. He was responsible for too many lives to sit by idly while an unknown quality was introduced into their midst.

“I have a question,” he repeated and narrowed his eyes on the Chaos mage. “What's between you and Giles? The first time you attacked him, it was indirectly during Halloween; the second time your attack was aimed directly at him. So what the hell is the problem?”

Xander, Cordy and Faith drifted up to Angel and Wesley's sides. They studied the Chaos mage with suspicious eyes. “Yeah, like what's up with the Wrath of Khan 'tude?” Xander added his voice to the inquiry.

Ethan studied the vampire with cold, expressionless eyes. He flicked his attention behind Angel as the others drew closer, sensing some sort of confrontation. He knew that the only reason why they allowed him within their little charmed circle was because of the boy. Not that he really gave a tuppence for their soddin’ opinions. If it weren’t for the bindings on him, he would just as soon chuck them all into the river and be done with the lot of 'em. However, the bindings the magus’ put on him weren’t worth his death. At least, not yet.

All of them were nothing but a bunch of silly fools playing at being heroes. Although there were times he felt a grudging admiration for them, especially the children, whenever he happened upon them reminiscing about this battle or some other battle. But still, they were little too old to continuing believing in their little version of Good and Evil. By his tally, there was no such thing as Good and Evil…there was only idiotic men making foolish choices.

He narrowed his eyes on the children…they were the ones most vulnerable, the ones most easily deceived by men pretending goodness. He glanced at Angel and Spike. But the two vampires understood evil. Evil wasn’t some obscure demon…evil was a man walking on cat's paws.

He began abruptly. “I, like many in my neighborhood, very much wanted to be like my older brother, Jacob. Back then, he was the epitome of what passed for coolness among us. He smoked, swore and didn’t give a rat’s arse for conventions or rules. Our flat used to shake with the godawful rows between Jacob and our Da, until finally, the silly old git, kicked my brother outta the house. But he was still my brother and he still always made time for me. I looked up to him and wanted to be just like him, a fact that caused him great concern. He wanted me to make something of myself, to be someone important and not like him. I didn’t listen of course. I continued hanging with his gang of friends. They were a rough sort, but they treated me proper. I was proud to call them my friends and they certainly made use of my ‘book learnin’ as they liked to call it.” And a wry grin briefly transformed his face. Giving his spellbound audience a rare glimpse of what a young Ethan Rayne must have looked like, a far cry from the cold, disdainful mask he usually presented to the world.

“And one day, I introduced a boy I rather fancied to them. Back then, Rupert was considered quite a catch. Beautiful and incredibly rich. It was a combination that had many of the boys at our school making sheep's eyes over him. But it was his looks, his bearing that impressed me, that drew me to him like a moth to a flame.” Ethan looked down at his burning cigarette, not wanting his fascinated listeners to see the self-hatred in his eyes. After all these years, it still made him squirm in revulsion at how he had been so gullible.

“We exchanged a few kisses, shagged a couple of times…and I fell head over heels in love with him. I imagined that he felt the same for me, such a fool I was. So, proudly did I trot him off to meet my brother. However, I introduced him simply as my ‘friend’. Gods above, I was so bloody eager to show Jacob the love of my life and yet I feared his reaction to the notion that I was queer.” He stubbed out his cigarette viciously on the table, wishing it was Rupert's head instead.

“Rupert took one look at Jacob and tossed me aside. And naïve fool that I was, it took me a fortnight to discover the truth. But by then my brother had also fallen for Rupert as well and was rather hesitant to tell me.”

“I finally got up the courage to tell Jacob of Rupert and myself. I went to the gang’s hangout, only to find my brother buried balls deep into Rupert's ass! I tore out of there in a flaming hurry and refused to talk to my brother for days. It was too bad that our friends didn't agree with my decision. They tackled me and carried me to Jacob. While he was absolutely horrified by their actions, he chose not to waste this opportunity to talk to me. I could see the tears in my brother's eyes as he tried to explain to me…and I realized that he didn’t even know about my sordid little affair with his lover.”

He looked up with a mocking, twisted smile. “I was such a silly git back then, you know? I loved my brother enough to keep my mouth shut and let him be happy with Rupert. Oh, I was still in love with the little arsewipe, but I loved my brother more. How does that saying go…'If you love somebody, set them free’, eh? Perhaps I was subconsciously wishing that Rupert would come back to me?”

“As Jacob got more deeply involved with Rupert, he began to change. It was a slow gradual process that I truly didn’t take heed, until it was too bloody late. When he yelled or shouted at me, I simply passed it off by saying he had a rough day. I think it was about that time the silly little prat took to calling himself 'Ripper' and wearing a leather jacket, jeans and such. He also began carrying a switchblade, trading on my brother's reputation as a rough sort in order to build up his own rather lackluster street personae.”

“But finally I did notice when the others began changing and there was this…this look about their eyes that was alarming. And then I found a book under Jacob’s bed---a book of black magic. Some of the things within the book horrified me, yet there was this secret part of me that was thrilled by that horrid book. Still I felt it was my duty to talk to my brother about my suspicions. I confronted Jacob about it...and was soundly thrashed for my concern.” He swallowed and looked away from their sympathetic, horrified eyes. His jaw resembled stone, it was so tightly clenched.

“This time our estrangement lasted for almost a month before Jacob rang me up late one night. Asking if I would come over as he had something he wanted to tell me and like a fool, I went. You see, I had no intention of giving up on my brother. I used our time apart wisely and researched that dreadful book. I was always an exceedingly clever student. I delved deeper into the dark, mystical realm, where I found to my surprise that I had a bit of an aptitude for the dark arts. It was rather amusing in retrospect. Here were these idiots trying to summons demons for larks and kicks while the demons came easily at my bidding.” He let out a black, morbid chuckle, though the others did not share his amusement.

“But I digress from my tale. Against my better judgment I foolishly went over to Jacob’s flat. And gathered there were at least three of my former friends plus a unknown boy. However, there was a look about my erstwhile friends eyes that was frightfully unnerving. And it seemed as if my instincts were spot on when my brother proceeded to explain that they needed a seventh member to summon Eyghon and poor Georgie was sick.”

His lip quirked as he looked at Wesley's horrified face. “You can imagine my extreme reluctance to take part in this. Despite what you may think of me, I am no fool. In my research into the black arts I came across the name Eyghon, and I knew just how dangerous it was. Rupert choose to remain silent when I frantically tried to talk them out of their mad scheme but to no avail. Though I knew this was exceedingly stupid, still I allowed myself to be coerced into it especially when Jacob swore he would never do this again. This was my brother and I loved him.”

Ethan took a deep breath, his eyes faraway and lost in dark painful memories.

“We drove out of town and into a small clearing. We marked ourselves according to the ritual, and formed the proper circle of protection. With Rupert and Jacob giving me strict orders NOT to break the circle…under no circumstances must I break the circle.” He looked sardonically at the half-circle of avid listeners. “You hear the emphasis on not breaking the circle? Excellent! Because as long as the circle remained unbroken, Eyghon couldn't harm us.”

“Everything went according to plan. I watched as Sally, followed by Andy and then Phillip allowed Eyghon to pass through them. While the ecstasy that transformed their faces was tempting, I knew better. And I was proven horribly correct, for as soon as that foul creature approached the strange boy, he screamed and ran off...breaking the circle. And Eyghon attacked.”

“I hastily cast a ward around my brother, Rupert and myself. And I screamed to them that they must not break my wards. But I don’t think they were listening to me. Their attention was primarily focused on the demon as it ripped to pieces the rather slower member of the fleeing youths. And when it took over the body of the stranger kid, Rupert’s nerve broke. He ran…shattering my wards. And the demon leaped upon my brother before I could do anything.”

He blinked rapidly, inhaling deeply as he recalled the screams his brother made. “Jacob begged me to help him as the demon rode his body. Screaming in horror at things only he could see. I didn’t know what to do…or how to help Jacob. This was my brother and the only help I could possibly give him was death, but I couldn’t kill him. And I saw the demon shining out of his eyes as I got closer and I knew that the instant I dropped my protective wards, that it would ride me just as viciously as it was riding Jacob. Then it began speaking to me, with the most malicious smile imaginable. It told me how Jacob knew of me and Rupert long before he took him to bed. It mockingly informed me about how they laughed at me. Then it forced Jacob to tell me the ‘truth’ that he did indeed know about the two of us. And again, my brother begged me to kill him.”

Ethan gave his horrified audience a cold smile. “And so I did. I killed Jacob in such a way that Eyghon couldn't use his dead body. I found out later that Jacob was as much of a dupe as I for our duplicative lover. Rupert ran back to his family's posh house and apparently threw himself on his father’s mercy. He was swiftly enrolled in the Watcher’s Academy within a few days of this event. Putting himself temporarily beyond my reach.”

“But I swore that night I would have my revenge on Rupert. You see, we bore the Mark of Eyghon, we were it's callers and one by one it would find us. I had held it off as long as I could. I wanted Rupert to finally have something that he valued, a life that he would do anything not to lose.”

He looked sourly at Xander and Angel.

“Interfering little bastards!” he snarled.

“Yeah, if it hadn’t been for us meddling kids…” Xander sighed, though a brief grin flickered on both his and Cordy’s faces at his remark.

And Ethan resumed his usual expression of cold disdain. “And there you have it my friends, my sad tale of woe. The reason for my undying hatred of one Rupert Giles and how I hope to someday piss on his grave!” He spat on the ground and walked away, leaving an uneasy silence in his wake.

“And there goes one angry man,” Cordy remarked quietly.

“Angel…” Wesley questioned the vampire, his eyes intent on the vampire.

“You know, I certainly don’t want to be in Rupert’s shoes when Ethan finally gets a hold of him,” Angel remarked instead, staring thoughtfully after the mage.

Xander looked at Angel in surprise. “Ah, man…he was telling the truth? Damn, Giles is, like what, making a career out of fuckin’ people over?!”



And after his little confession, Ethan found to his surprise, a little more tolerance from his traveling companions. He had to chuckle when Xander, with great solemnity presented him with a tin foil crown. Summarily electing him as President of the ‘I hate Rupert Giles Club’. Confiding that it was only fair since he was the founding member.

He smiled fondly. He had forgotten sometimes just how twisted a female mind could be and he would be quite grateful to Miss Cordelia Chase for her rather brilliant suggestions on how to drive Rupert barmy.

The Council said he was not to have 'direct' contact with Rupert, so....

....“For God's sakes, Buffy stop banging...” and Giles words were lost in the spray of water from the broken pipe in his kitchen...

....Giles looked up in sheer horror at the hornet's nest in his bedroom before he fled the angry buzzing in his room, draped in a sheet...

....The Watcher hurriedly spat out his mouthful of whisky in disgust. He sniffed the bottle and made a moue of disgust. Why did it smell like horse-piss?...

Ethan sighed in satisfaction. It wasn't enough but it was a start.


As they travel cross-country, Angel was seriously regretting his no sex policy about Xander. And from the frustration evident in the boy's dark, bewildered eyes, Xander was in almost worse condition. With a gloomy sigh, he knew it wasn't as if there was anything they could do about it, especially not surrounded by six other people. He regarded the smirk on Spike's face and dearly wanted to rip it off, then he eyed his peacefully sleeping childe resting in the blonde's lap and his face softened. Regretting as always the madness that he had driven Drusilla into.

He started as a warm hand settled into his. He glanced down into warm, understanding brown eyes.

“What was she like?” Xander whispered softly, drawing Angel into the partitioned bedroom which was empty for once. He crawled into the bed and waited until Angel was settled in a reclining position before he eased into the waiting arms.

“She was so beautiful. Not that she's not right now...but back then, she had a quiet intelligence shining in her eyes. She was magnificent. And she wanted no part of me. I was enraged at her refusal but still, I probably could have walked away if it wasn't for Darla. Dear God, how she laughed and mocked me! Jeering at me constantly. Sneering, claiming that I was a love sick fool over a little mortal girl. That I was not a demon, not a vampire...I was nothing but a little puppy, cringing away at the first hint of rejection. For weeks she harped at me about Drusilla. And in hindsight, I think she was under the impression that I was in love with Dru and she was jealous.”

Angel looked down gravely into Xander's upturned face. “Between Darla and I, it was always a battle for dominance, despite her Siring me. I think that what she hated most was that I was almost her equal in strength and will....yet I was still her Childe. A Childe that by all rights should not be quite as strongwilled as I was. Once I set myself against her, only total brutality could force me to do her bidding. She hated that was almost the only way I would do whatever she ordered me to do. She was my Sire and I should have automatically rushed to do whatever she wanted, yet if I refused to follow her orders it would take her days, if not weeks for beat me into submission.”

“So one night I snapped. I had finally enough of her harping and viperish tongue. I set out to prove just how much of a true demon...a vampire that I really was. And with each rejection from Dru, my temper became fouler especially after having to listen to Darla's poisonous words. And I snapped. I decided that for every rejection, Dru would lose a member of her family.”

“To prove my 'love' for her I presented each kill to her. I would place the bodies in an areas where she would be the first to discover it. I would whisper to her in the darkness that because of her, because of her intelligence, her beauty that I was enchanted by her. And each day as I 'courted' her, she grew more insane. Believing my words...my lies. But I didn't see the insanity that was flickering in her eyes as I was only focused on winning this sadistic game with Darla. A game that was coming to a close as I sensed Dru's weakening. And I would strut back to Darla, crowing that I was the master of the Dark Kiss.”

“And a few days later, I found Dru by a small stream just after sunset. To this day, I have no idea what drew me there. But that was where I found her. Just barely alive...she had slit her wrists. And I realized then, just how far I had driven her. She was to be a Bride of Christ and yet she tried to commit suicide. And for half a second, I felt joy that I had beaten both Darla and Dru at their little game. Then she open those big eyes and I saw the madness lurking within them. I realized just how far I had driven her.”

“So, I drained her and gave her back a semblance of life. Darla, of course, was furious and tried to stake her but this was MY Childe, my first childe. And I fought Darla to a standstill when she attempted to put an end to Drusilla's unlife. My sire was enraged at my defiance. So she decided to punish me and ordered me to destroy Dru. I refused...
and no matter how badly she beat me, scalded me with Holy Water or burned me with crosses...I still refused to destroy my beautiful, dark Childe. She was mine and I would take care of her now. And when Dru tried to Turn Spike, I had to finished the act. She was too broken to function as his Sire. I taught him as Darla taught me, as her Sire taught her. I knew of no other way to teach Spike how to be a vampire.” And Angel wondered if Xander would see the connection.

Xander sat up slowly and drew his knees to his chest, his brow furrowed in thought. Cycles...that's what Angel was talking about. You teach by what you know.

“I remember my dad talking about how he was disciplined by his father. He once showed me a scar on his arm from a beating his dad gave him. He told me that I was lucky that he didn't do to me all the things his dad did to him. But with a couple of broken ribs, I really didn't consider myself 'lucky'.” His mouth twisted in a bitter, self mocking grin. Then his expression changed. “Do you think I'm gonna be like him...if I ever have children?” And he waited tensely for the answer, hardly comforted by the hand rubbing his back.

“No...” came the low reply and Xander turned to look at Angel.

“How do you know that?” Though his voice was soft, his eyes were still wide and fearful as he searched the vampire's dark gaze.

“A couple of reasons. You're a male and unless things have changed a lot since I've lived, men are simply not equipped to have children. And vampires are either barren or sterile. Neither an egg nor sperm has ever produced a child,” Angel replied intently, pulling his warm mortal back into his arms. Though darks thoughts of their future, of Xander's future was stirring in his mind.

Xander blinked, a pleased light growing in his eyes at Angel's reply. “So we’re talking long-term here?” He asked tentatively. And a happy smile flourished on his face at Angel’s soft ‘For as long as you live.’

In that case, he planned on living for a very long time.

And with slightly frayed tempers, they reached their destination. The human members of the group gaped in awe as they pulled up to the gates just after sunset. Beyond the ornate, detailed gates was a huge mansion that sprawled in a quiet, ostentatious display of wealth.

The vampires exchanged uneasy looks and Dru firmly put Spike behind her. Somewhere in her addled mind, danger was screaming, the heavens were shivering and even the stars were in hiding. She knew Spike belonged to her, the way she belonged to Angelus and she remembered a time when he protected her from her second Mummy when she was…new. She trembled, recalling the screams of agony that filled the home.

Spike made one aborted attempt to put Dru behind *him* and he had a snarling Sire in his face. He decided to stay where he was.

Angel leaned over Wesley, and announced himself into the speaker. “Angel, Childe of Darla, now Head of the Family of Aurelius begs leave to meet with the Master of Aureli.”

“Who’s the Master of Aureli? Aren’t you the Master?” Wesley asked in confusion. A state shared by the other humans in the large vehicle.

“No…” Angel answered shortly, nervously tapping his fingers on the dashboard. “If we are allowed entrance you'll see a side of vampires that the Watchers don’t know exist. What Watchers understand about vampiric society could fill a 30 page pamphlet. In reality we are a 200 volume encyclopedia.”

“When humans are Turned, knowledge and skills are passed along as well as the demon. What Slayers kill are Revenants. Revenants are the vampires that have the demon in full control of the body. And the myth that we lose our souls is just that, a myth. The truth is that the demon's personality is so overwhelming that it temporarily suppresses the soul. However, if the soul is strong enough, it will gradually work itself back into the foreground after about 300 or so years and the demon will absorb the personality of the soul. Of course, there are demons that do not re-integrate with the soul.” He stopped and stared broodingly at the huge edifice as the gates slowly began to open.

“When we get inside, you do nothing, say nothing. And Xander, Cordy I’m especially talking to you two.”

“HEY!” Both young people yelled indignantly while the others suppressed chuckles of amusements despite the danger they would soon face.

“Look, we are on dangerous ground here. While all Revenants have the right to seek protection from the Master of the Line, most of them prefer to stay as far away from them as possible. Revenants egos are fragile,” Angel remarked dryly as Wesley put the camper into gear and slowly drove up the winding driveway.

“Then why are we here?” Wesley asked quietly.

“Because the soddin’ wanker ain’t a Revenant no more,” Spike replied to Wesley. He studiously refused to even look in his grandsire’s direction, while Dru sulked and looked away as well. “And he wants to take his rightful place among the elite…forgetting about the rest of his own…OW!” Spike yelled, rubbing angrily at his head as the camper jerked to a stop.

“The next time you start acting like a spoiled brat I’m gonna turn you over my knee, and wallop you but good,” Angel warned him ominously. His eyes glinting with a cold, golden fire.

“Why in the hell would you think I would forget my own Childer? I created Dru, but you I taught the Hunt. That makes you more MY Childe than Dru’s. And if you think that I would abandon you…” his words were low and icy with rage, but Spike refused to back down. Not this time. He had been through this once, long ago.

“You did before…” he reminded Angel quietly, a wellspring of hurt hidden behind his traditional sneer.

And Angel studied his two childer. One he created and the other he shaped. He sighed with regret, not for the first time cursing both Darla and his darker self.

“I was…different then. Things were different for me…for all of us,” he began, picking his words with care. “As demons, as vampires, we feel no remorse or guilt about taking the lives of our prey,” and he threw an apologetic look at the fascinated humans.

“But when I was cursed, my soul was now in charge and it was half-mad with guilt at all the human lives that were lost, that were taken. You and Dru reminded me of what I was, and what I no longer could tolerate to be. Every time I looked at the two of you, I saw the hundreds of human lives that we fed upon. And the guilt, the remorse was destroying my mind. I couldn’t bear to look at you and my beautiful dark childe....”

He gently caressed Dru’s face, smiling at the soft purring she made as she rubbed her cheek into his hand.

“...and only see monsters,” he stated with little emotion.

And both Spike and Dru became motionless. Angel nodded slowly at the horrified look they gave him.

“I couldn’t take it any longer. The demon in me found you achingly beautiful, darkly sensual while my soul screamed in horror every day and it was literally destroying what little sanity I had left. And with my sanity in serious jeopardy, it was best that I leave before abhorrence overcame me and I would do something I would have regretted. So I fled. ” He met Spike’s frozen blue stare gravely.

And Spike abruptly recalled one night he had woken up, sensing danger to Dru and him. But opening his eyes, it was only to see Angelus standing over him.

Just standing there and watching them with cold, glittering eyes.

With one hand tucked behind his back.

And the next day Angelus was gone and Darla had been in a tearing rage for months after that.

He blinked as he met Angels eyes, hissing in recognition at just how close he and Dru came to be dusted that night.

Angel nodded slightly before turning to the others. “When we leave the camper, you will be on your best behavior. If you see me do something, no mater how ridiculous it is, DO IT! One false move and we will be out on our asses. This is the safest place for us to be. Xander will be safe here.”

After their reluctant nods he indicated that he was the first to exit the vehicle. “Cordy, Wes and Xander I want you three in the middle; Spike, Dru you’ll cover our rear; Faith, Ethan you’re on either side and I’ll take point. Remember, let me do the talking and try to avoid eye contact with those inside.” With those final instructions, he signaled Wes to continue to the mansion doors and they exited the camper. Arranged to Angel’s satisfaction, they moved towards the waiting sentries.

Spike shivered as he passed under the guard’s cold, emotionless eyes. Understanding for the first time the difference between how he and Dru were taught and how other Revenants were reared. Despite Angelus brutality towards them, they knew they were loved. And he felt a cool hand clasp his. He met Dru’s darkening gaze, seeing the vagueness recede somewhat from her eyes before she returned her attention forward.

And Dru's bearing was that of a queen. Cool, regal and utterly ruthless. And by the flicker in the Revenants' gazes they recognize a permanent death in her eyes.

Cordy and Xander trembled as they trailed behind Angel. They gave each other terrified looks before they cautiously, yet with eyes carefully lowered, studied the indolent creatures sprawled among the furniture in the huge foyer. Cordy was eerily reminded of large, hungry cats. Sleek, ruthless and deadly in their hunt for prey.

Guess who’s coming to dinner? Xander firmly repressed an hysterical desire to giggle at the thought. Both he and Cordy were almost treading on Angel’s heels by the time they entered the study. He could still feel the other vampires eyes boring holes in his neck.

Behind the large mahogany desk sat a coolly composed man. Inky black hair was styled in the latest of fashion and even Xander was able to recognize that some serious dinars went into the making of that suit. And there was one fact that was starting to piss him off: why did all the demons have to look so damn cool?! That's probably why he didn’t look cool, they were hogging all the coolness. Yeah, that was it! There was probably only a limited supply of coolness going around and as soon as you were demonized, Whammo! Instant coolness was acquired. Life could be so fuckin’ unfair to the average human, was his sad thought.

Cordy darted a quick look at Xander and sighed softly, recognizing the blank look: Ladies and gentlemen Xander has left the building, she wryly thought. She surreptitiously glanced around the room while ignoring the insanely beautiful people that graced it. She studied the the discrete signs about the room that seemed to whisper: 'Yes, I am quite fabulously wealthy...and you're not'.

And she eyed Angel with a sense of betrayal, like he couldna casually dropped the fact that his Family had money?! Dumbass!

Angel regarded the numerous people calmly watching them. He easily recognized a few from Darla’s angry description.

The jade eyed man could only be Pascal, the Enforcer. Those eyes provided a startling contrast to the deep white gold coloration in the bald man. Huge, broad and utterly relentless. He was in charge of security, a task that the cold and ruthless vampire was exceedingly good at.

MaryAlice. A vivacious, merry red-headed with vibrant blue eyes. She had a passion for games. Unfortunately, her games were usually rough and resulted in the deaths of dozens of human and non-humans alike.

Kyle, second in command. He looked the weakest of the four, with his mop of strawberry blond curls and dancing gray eyes. Putting one in mind of summer clouds. Soft, gentle and giving no hint to the destructive thunderstorms lurking within. Rejar trusted no one more than his first lieutenant, who was rumored to be a bit of a prankster with a ready laugh. But he was far more deadly than even Pascal.

And finally, his eyes rested on Rejar el Dorchan. Smooth, sleek and lean, skin the color of cocoa with just a hint of milk, eyes like aged brandy. Master of the House of Aureli for over 3,000 years. It was said that he had singled-handedly hunted and exterminated a nest of Revenants BEFORE he was Turned. All for killing a servant under his protection.

He was known as Rejar the Ruthless...and he was one of the most feared vampires in all the nation.

Angel went down on one knee and bowed his head respectfully. From the muffled thumps behind him, he knew the others were obediently following his lead.

“Ahhhh, my dear Angelus or is it Angel?” Rejar waited calmly for the other to indicate which personae he was before continuing.

“Angel, now to what do we…what do I owe this visit...with, let me see…two humans, a Watcher and oh my…a Chaos mage and do my eyes deceived me, but is that a Slayer gracing my humble abode?” He remarked with smooth aplomb, which was merely the calm before the storm.

“Now, before I have you dusted, perhaps you will be good enough to tell us why you dared to bring a Slayer and three unMarked humans in my home.” Rejar asked with a terrifying mildness. A hint that spiked chains and buzzsaws were soon be pulled out to deal with an annoyance.

Xander and Cordy squeaked, and knee-walked closer to Angel for protection.

“Forgive me, my Father, but we seek your protection. The Protector has awoke and the Shadow Warriors walks among us.” Angel replied in a low voice.

Rejar froze and his eyes flared an almost white-gold color as MaryAlice lost her mocking smile. Kyle and Pascal’s faces became blank in response to Angel's words. But a deadly, watchful stillness was in all four vampires.

“Nonsense!” Snorted one of the handful of vampires off to the side. “The Protector is but a dream. A myth that demon parents tell their children in order to make them obey. That is all the legend of the Protec...” his voice stuttered to a halt in astonishment as Xander looked up with white glowing eyes and rose smoothly to his feet.

“A myth made flesh,” the Protector announced in a chilling voice as it strode past Angel. Sensing the boy’s companions rise also to their feet as well as the door opening behind them.

It continued in the wake of the stunned silence. “I am the balance between Day and Night; created by the First Powers to be their Voice, their Eyes, and should it become necessary, their Arm. And if that Revenant does not release Cordelia Chase, you will find out just how strong my Arm CAN BE!” It’s voice was a sibilant hiss as it turned around with eyes glowing with a hellish white heat.

And the room began to grow hotter.

Paul, one of the few Revenants allowed to roam about the mansion freely merely sneered while his companions easily restrained the other vampires and humans. The delicious smell of terror from the wildly struggling female was only whetting his hunger for fresh human blood. And smirking, his face shifted. Keeping malicious eyes on the boy, he slowly lowered his face, then stopped at a choked cry from his left.

Puzzled, he looked in that direction and saw only the Slayer, then came a succession of oddly choked cries and he blinked rapidly as dust irritated his eyes.

And Cordy took the momentary distraction to stomp viciously on his instep, slam her elbow in his jaw before she whirled around and yanked his head brutally into her upraised knee then she jumped back, breathing hard.

“You goddamn piece of shit!” Paul yelled, holding his bloody nose. “Just for that, I’m gonna slowly rip your guts out.” He laughed coarsely, ignoring MaryAlice’s frantic pleas for him to shut up. He was her youngest Childe, and usually he got away with a lot of things. But today was his unlucky day.

“No, what you will do is die,” came the cold response from the weird looking kid. Paul opened his mouth…and exploded into dust.

Slowly Rejar rose to his feet and bowed his head grudgingly. “My Lord Protector, how may the House of Aureli serve you?”

“Dude, you really think we can trust them?” Xander asked the Protector anxiously. “I mean, Angel, Spike and Dru we already know. But I dunno about Joe Cool, yeah he’s the Big Man but I dunno, he’s just too slickity. And that red-headed woman looks just about as crazy as Dru. You can see it in her eyes! Actually, I think it'll be a tie-in about who’s got the most screws loose and to tell ya the truth, I don’t think Dru will win. And that big dude?! Obviously he has size issues. Look how big his muscles are! Nobody needs muscles that size…and I’m talking out loud, right?” Xander finally became aware of Angel’s despairing expression as well as the blank look Rejar’s face. Spike turned his back, his shoulders shaking as he struggled to control himself.

“Uhm…not that I have a problem with crazy people, per se, it’s uhm…just that…ah…
with the leather catsuit…not that it doesn’t look nice on you by the way….Growl…and
…and hot damn! and all that, was it painted on or what?! And…uhm…dude, muscles it’s just envy talking, yeah that what it is with me, cause I ain’t got none, ya see. And I can tell you definitely come in handy whenever they need a train…” his nervously babbling words were cut off by, oddly enough, by Dru who pulled him firmly to her side.

She sternly held a finger to his lips. “Shhh, lil’l boys should be seen not heard and kittens should tumble and play, n'ver makin' a sound. Shhhhh..listen to the stars sing to you,” she murmured swaying from side to side, her eyes half closed.

“My apologies, Master Rejar…” Angel murmured with a quick, dark look to an embarrassed Xander.

Rejar blinked, coming out of his Xanderdaze. “Please tell me that the Protector is NOT in the body of a child?” His voice was faint with horror.

“Hey, buddy, I ain't no child! I’m seven…ow!” Xander rubbed his head, glaring murderously at Dru.

So she hit him again before putting a finger to her lips again in a gesture of silence. When his mouth opened again, she raised her hand. He promptly closed his mouth, eyeing her uneasily. Drusilla nodded approvingly.

“Sacre bleu!” And Rejar continued swearing for a full minute. Kyle and Pascal’s eyes growing wider and wider at the lurid curses spewing from his mouth, then both their shoulders began to shake in stifled amusement. They couldn't remember the last time Rejar was so unsettled. It was unfortunate that Rejar’s sharp eyes caught their betraying movement.

“So, then Angel what is it that you wish of me?” He asked briskly, regaining control of his temper.

Angel hesitated for a half second. “As you can see, Xander lacks guidance which I will provide,” he said in a hard voice looking around the room challengingly before continuing, “Unfortunately he, along with my other humans, need training in self-defense as well as finishing their education.”

Kyle brows rose curiously. “So why can’t you train him?” Then blinked as Angel stretched back an arm and pulled the boy to his side. And at the blush that crossed the child’s face, he understood that Angel couldn’t be objective in teaching him how to defend himself.

“Very well. You will occupy the East wing. However, you will need to mark your humans while here.” Rejar began before he paused. And with a poisonous smile he added, “Kyle and Pascal will train your charges.”

“REJAR!” The two vampires yelped, whirling around looking at him with horrified eyes.

“I’m in charge of security, so I really don’t think it would be wise idea to have me work with the humans,” Pascal remarked and he shook his head sadly. “I can just see the chaos ahead if I’m not in control of your security.” He was smugly certain that Rejar would see reason.

“Oh? Like what for instance…” Rejar sat down and leaned back in his chair, eyeing his two lieutenants with a cynical eye. Wondering what ridiculous claims would spring from their fervid imaginations.

“Uhm…you remember that explosion a few years ago? Well, it could happen again!” Pascal folded his arms defiantly, glaring at Rejar who raised brow.

“I presume you mean the one that took place about 100 years ago?” Rejar replied sardonically.

“See?! And just think of what those clever little monkeys been concocting all this time!” Pascal exclaimed triumphantly. “There’s absolutely NO telling what they’ve managed to come up with in a 100 years. You know they won’t be satisfied until they blow themselves up. “

“And you know how live humans make me break out in hives!” Kyle exclaimed.

Rejar looked at the two men and snorted. They were actually serious. Kyle had even gone so far as to start scratching at his arms as if to validate his claim of hives.

“Well, gentlemen you know my feelings on forcing people to do things that they truly don’t like,” he murmured quietly but with an inward smile at the looks of dismay on their faces. Oh, they knew his feelings alright…he loved watching them squirm in discomfort at doing things they detested. But it was amazing the majority of them actually found themselves grateful to him for forcing them.

“However, inasmuch as I really feel that it would be to your advantage to do this small favor for me, I will not force you. Although, you two are reputed to be the very best fighters in the House of Aureli, are you not? I am inclined to believe that any other vampire would not possibly impart the necessary skills and training the humans need, and should they managed to do so…well, one can only imagine what others will say about your style and quality of skills?” He looked at them with a raised brow before he sighed.

“But if you are quite sure that your skills are not quite…up to teaching the humans…
well, I’m sure that the entire House of Aureli will understand.” And he shook his head with a feign look of sympathy.

“The entire House…” Kyle whimpered in dismay, his eyes rounding at the thought.

Rejar nodded silently, a tiny smile playing on his coldly, impassive face.

Pascal and Kyle looked at each other before sighing and reluctantly agreeing.

“Excellent…I’m most honored that you both agree with me,” Rejar allowed his tiny smile to broaden, looking approvingly at his two lieutenants.

“How much time do they have to train your monke…your humans?” He turned and asked Angel politely.

“Three months,” came the reply and both Kyle and Pascal moaned softy.

“Rejar…” came Kyle’s plaintive wail.

Pascal stiffened his shoulders determinedly. “Kyle, it’s only for three months! We can do it, besides they’re only humans, how bad could it be?” he shrugged in unconcern.

And Cordy, Xander and Faith's eyes narrowed at his dismissive tone. They exchanged looks, then wicked smiles formed flashed across their faces. Wesley and Angel stiffen then merely shook their heads and eyed the two trainers sadly.


A week later the door burst open violently, startling both Rejar and Angel who were playing chess. They looked up in with surprised faces as Kyle stormed into Rejar’s office.

“REJAR! I demand to be allowed to kill the humans and Spike!” He roared, then began pacing angrily back and forth. They could just make out the dire threats he was making about what he was going to do to ‘those damn kids'.

“And you…” he turned and frowned darkly at Angel. “I loathe Spike! I hate the very ground he walks upon. I hate all your humans, but especially Cordy and Xander.

“Do you know what they did? DO YOU KNOW WHAT THEY DID?” he shrieked.

“Uhm, no?” Angel replied tentatively, darting a quick look at Rejar who shrugged. He had no idea what had Kyle so upset.

“They made us drinks!”

“And that would be bad because…” Angel tried to hazard a guess.

Kyle threw him a silent sneer before continuing. “It was with Holy Water, you low-brow cretin!”

Both Angel and Rejar gasped, coming instinctively to their feet. Rejar looked at his first lieutenant in horror. “You didn’t drink it?!”

“Would I be standing here if I did? Don’t be insane…besides, our drinks weren’t laced with Holy Water,” Kyle snapped irritably. “I said they’re idiots not stupid. They just wanted to see our reactions! Besides, it was Spike’s idea in the first place. Talk to your humans or I won’t be responsible for the consequences!” Kyle finally stormed out, leaving an alarmed Angel behind.

“Be at ease, youngster. Kyle will not harm your humans. Embarrass them to hell and back, true, but he will not harm them,” Rejar replied to Angel’s worried look.

“How do you know that?”

“Because I know my Family. And there is the fact that I have forbidden the death or harm of your humans. I have given you my word that the Family will help train the children. And none of the Family will dare to sully my honor.” He coolly raised his eyes to meet Angel’s gaze.

And Angel shuddered as he met that demonic, ruthless gaze. He realized that while the soul and demon were merged, it really didn’t mean the demon side was totally eradicated.

“No…no…of course, not,” Angle carefully resumed his seat and began playing again.


And the war of pranks began..

Kyle mixed up a nice batch of Ex-lax bars as a gift for the humans. Presenting them to Cordy and Xander for doing such a wonderful job of learning a particularly difficult move…

Cordy responded by spraying Kyle's mug with garlic…

Kyle made them drink raw egg yolks, allegedly to ‘increase their strength’…

Faith, Cordy and Xander retaliated by rigging Kyle’s bedroom with a powerful light, mimicking the deadly rays of the sun, just without the burning effect. His screams echoed throughout the mansion…

Spike kept switching sides merrily until finally Angel, fearing the safety of his childer, sent the blonde, Ethan and Dru back to Sunnydale to keep an eye on the situation there. And at the slight flare of relief in Spike's wild blue eyes, he belatedly realized just how uncomfortable his blonde childe felt around true vampiric Masters.

And Rejar finally had enough and forced them to a cease fire. Unfortunately, the four pranksters were having far too much fun to stop. Joining forces, they turned their diabolical attention to bedeviling the rest of the house.

Rejar decided to wear ear plugs and lock his study door against the increasing parade of vampires yelling about the five demons plaguing them. But sometimes a sharp ear could hear peals of laughter from behind his locked door.



Angel woke out of a sound sleep with the unnerving sense that someone or something was in the room with him.

“You realize the boy does these things, these pranks, in an effort to capture your attention,” came a cool voice from the shadows.

“Protector? What are…” Angel sat up in bed and stared at the being with confused eyes.

“Xander sleeps…and I decided to take this opportunity to speak with you. He is unaware of what your Claim Mark actually means. Because you spend most of your time with Rejar and the other Masters he believes that you regard him not. That you see him as nothing more than a foolish boychild, not worthy of your regard. In truth, he is much confused as to what he wants from you. He believed you and he were 'friends' and as such, he has subconsciously resulted to juvenile tactics to garner your interest again. If you do not wish to remain mated to the child, then I will vanish your Claim and permit him to seek another mate.”

“You can’t do that!” Angel had listened to the other speak with an dropped jaw look of shock. However he did manage to get himself under control and protested Protector’s last remark furiously.

“I can and I will. The boy is my host and I will not allow your uncertainty to jeopardize his happiness. Either you treat him accordingly as your true mate or you WILL set him free.” And it’s voice was cold iron, ringing with icy finality.

Angel dropped his eyes. “I…I do want him, but he has his whole life ahead of him. I practically raped him.”

“You saved his life and set me free. Had he remained much longer in his dreamworld, he would not have returned,” came the flat response.

“But still he’s young,” Angel protested, his voice was far quieter now. “There’s so much I want him to see of the world before truly committing himself to me. And if I treat him as my mate, I might not have the strength to let him go in the future. There’s so much that I want him to see and experience before he’s…no longer in my life,” he finished in a near whisper.

Blinking, Protector studied the vampire’s words. “You fear death will take him from you?” It asked Angel slowly.

A miserable nod from the vampire was the response.

“Perhaps I may be using the phrase incorrectly but I shall try: ‘Are you freaking almonds?!”

And despite himself, Angel felt his lips twitch. “Nuts…it’s 'Are you freakin’ nuts!' ” he corrected the other politely.

The energy being paused in what it was going to say. “Isn’t an almond a nut?” It asked, allowing itself to be momentarily sidetracked.

“Yes, but the phrase is still ‘nuts’,” Angel replied firmly.

“Humans…” the other sighed. “Be that as it may, it is far more likely that you will die before Xander. United with me, it will take some time before a full merger of our selves is completed and he will age at a much slower rate.”

“How slow?” Angel asked suspiciously, but hope was rising in his chest.

“We finally agreed on the age of 30. Once he reaches that age, then he will no longer show any physical effects of time,” the Protector announced briskly. “For some odd reason, he is very determined to look older than you. Now would you want to be at his side for at least a hundred of the human years? He has agreed to serve as my host for at least 10,000 years and we will negotiate for additional time afterwards. But time would go much faster with a companion at his side to ward off the loneliness,” it asked persuasively. Or at least as persuasively as possible for it didn't really understand emotions too well.

Angel was still grappling with the fact that Xander was practically an immortal. That they could be together for a very long time. And slowly a broad grin settled on his face.

Somehow, ‘together’ sounded perfectly natural with Xander. There was so many things he wanted to show his Mate…to watch pleasure and awe fill those beautiful chocolatey eyes.

“Ahhhh....I see by your smile that the thought of many years with Xander is not displeasing to you,” Protector murmured dryly.

“I would suggest, however, that you speak with him as soon as possible before his stubborn nature reasserts itself and overcomes his common sense,” it tossed over a bare shoulder as it left thought the adjoining bedroom door.


The next day, late afternoon found Xander in the training room, practicing his moves. And trying, with limited success, to avoid thinking about a certain blockhead vampire.

“Shit!” he exclaimed as he tripped over his feet…again. He threw a dirty look at a couple of vampires that remained in the salle with him. Glare for glare he met their looks before dismissing them from his sight.

This was all Deadboy’s fault, he silently groused as he began his sequence again. No matter what Cordy and Faith said, that stupid vampire obviously didn’t want to…didn’t care about him, and he certainly wasn’t in love…no, not in love, Xander thought carefully. He was simply *hurt * that Angel didn’t at least want to be friends with him. Yeah, that was it, he was upset because they weren’t becoming the friends he thought they were becoming. And felt his spirits lift considerably. Yeah, they were becoming friends and not anything else that would get him beaten up.

And in a decidedly more cheerful mood, he sauntered over to his boombox and turned it on, knowing that the music bugged the hell out of the vampires sharing the room with him. At the heavy beat of a Jody Watley song, he smirked and returned to practice the new moves Pascal and Kyle were making them learn.

Slamming his foot repeatedly against the muscle bag, Xander focused on getting his blows perfected and building up his strength. He grinned slightly and began timing his kicks and blows to the pounding beat…

(When i first lay my eyes upon you)
(I knew right then and there you were the one)
(Eyes so deep you send me melting)
(Then you smiled as if to say 'oh yeah')

And when he spun to deflect an attack by his imaginary opponent turn, his eyes fell on Angel, just standing there….right in the doorway of the gym. Looking all cool and mysterious, and Xander faltered slightly. BASTARD! And he had the nerve to show up with Rejar. Of course, it was the older vampire’s house but still…

Xander’s eyes clouded over at the presence of the Master of the House. Now that Angel was ‘friends’ with Rejar, why in the hell would he want a scrawny ass human kid as a 'friend'.

(But then you seemed to change your mind)
(You looked away like you were oh so shy)
(Is the game you playing hard to get)
(Won't you tell me, oh oh)

Damn Angel for being so fuckin' nice and stuff; making people fall in lo..care about him. But more importantly, damn him for making him think he was good enough to be a friend. And Xander felt despair trying to pull him down but he wasn't having none of that. He was strong and he wasn't going to give in. Fuck Angel anyhow.

(Want me...don't you want me)
(To touch you and to hold you tight)
(Don't you want me...like I want you)
(To kiss and love all through the night)

He determinedly turned his attention back to the bag, attacking it with fists and feet. Drumming furiously into the forgiving exercise equipment. He was NOT going to look at them. Nope, not gonna look. So what if Angel didn't want him, there were plenty of people that wanted to be friends with him. Plenty.

(Are you looking for a new love, baby?)
(I'm looking for a new love)
(Please don't tease me)

(I'd like to know more than just your name)
(Did you come here alone or with someone)
(If only you would open up)
(And let me know just where you're coming from)

He gritted his teeth and moved faster, letting his body take over. And his movements became sharper, as each blow landed with deadly precision. Everything Kyle and Pascal had been teaching them, teaching *him*...seemed to click for the first time…to just flow together. Maybe it was his subconscious, maybe it was just him but Xander found himself stretching his body to the limit. Unconsciously trying to show Angel all that he had to offer.

(Are you looking for a new love?)
(Or does commitment seems to bring you down)
(Is that a look of yes or is it no)
(Please don't tease me)

Angel drew in an appreciative breath as he watched the sweaty human twisting about the salle. Weeks of training sessions with Pascal and Kyle had definitely increased Xander's muscle mass. He could definitely see firm muscles gliding sleekly just under the skin. Now there was a clearer delineation of strength and power lurking under the glistening, increasingly toned body.

(Want me...don't you want me)
(To touch you and to hold you tight)
(don't you want me...like I want you)
(To kiss and love all through the night)

“Beautiful...” He was unaware of the whisper that escaped his lips.

But Rejar heard the soft word and smiled as he silently admired the play of muscles beneath Xander’s gleaming skin. It was about time the foolish boy got his head out of his ass.

Xander flicked a look in Angel’s direction despite his determination not to look that way. Dammit, he WAS good enough! And if Angel couldn’t see that then…then…the hell with him anyway. He could even use his return ticket to Hell, probably got frequent flyer miles on it anyway, Xander groused to himself. There was someone out there that would appreciate what he had to offer, he wasn’t a Zeppo.

Not anymore.

He was through begging for affection. He was through chasing after people to love him and he was damn tired of being the last one picked for basketball. Not that anybody played around here basketball or any other kinda sports, but the point was, the point *was*, he was tired of being last.

(Want me...don't you want me)
(To touch you and to hold you tight)
(Don't you want me...like I want you)
(To kiss and love all through the night)

Xander dropped his stakes deliberately and let them clatter noisily on the floor as he calmly stalked towards the door. His plan was to simply ignore the two vampires.

Angel stepped in front of him.

“Would you have dinner with me tonight?” Angel asked softly, his eyes intent.

Xander blinked. Okay, this is good…just be calm and slightly distant. You can do it…this is what we’ve been waiting for. Now, just be cool, he sternly admonished himself, rubbing his hands with devilish glee. Act reluctant, like maybe you have…

”Okay!”

…other plans? Huh? Wa…wa…wait a minute…what the hell just happen?! Didn’t I say to act cool and play hard to get? He’s supposed to be on his knees begging for my company. Am I that desperate for Angel’s company that I’m willing to settle for anything?

He took a long look at Angel.

Oh hell yeah.

“Good…is 7 pm okay with you?” Angel smiled and wondered why the hell did he ever hesitate to pursue Xander. He just hoped that he was worthy of the love that glowed so brightly in the wide brown eyes.

Xander nodded eagerly and bounced happily away to find Cordy and Faith.

Both the vampires regarded the youth galloping off. “It takes so little to please him,” Rejar murmured softly.

“Because he’s had very little in his life,” Angel replied equally quiet. “The only people that he felt gave a damn about him, betrayed him. He came to me seeking death, he had been hurt so badly.”

There was a moment of silence as the two men thoughts dwelled on the youthful exuberance the young humans brought to the House of Aureli.

“If you should cause the boy harm or distress in any way there is a place in the basement that will be awaiting you,” Rejar informed Angel coolly before he swept away.




Chapter 6

Xander managed to track Cordy, Faith and Wesley down and explain his slight dilemma to the three. Then waited patiently for them to tell him what to wear to wherever Angel was going to take him. Lord knows, he really didn’t want to embarrass the fashion clothes horse that the vampire was.

Wesley had time for a quick ‘Thank God’ before he was rushed to Xander’s room with the two girls over his loud protests.

Cordy and Faith ruthlessly went through Xander’s entire wardrobe before pronouncing that nothing was suitable for their needs. Xander and Wesley sat beside each other and regarded the two females with puzzled eyes, totally bewildered as to the secret language that the girls suddenly developed.

What was wrong with his clothes in the closet? Hell, he hadn’t even worn most of them, he thought indignantly. All he needed was a shirt, pants and shoes. And maybe a belt to hold up his pants. Not for him was the baggy look.

Huh? Was accessorize an actual word? Assemble…no they said ‘ensemble’. Were ensemble pants? A shirt? What?! Inquiring minds needed to know!

“What the hell is a ‘look’?” Xander whispered to Wesley out the side of his mouth.

“I don’t know, but were I you, I would remain very still and silent. Try not to draw undue attention to yourself until they are finished discussing how to dress you,” the other replied in a grim whisper.

Finally the two females smiled. Both Xander and Wesley shivered at the sight, drawing back in alarm. Wondering if they would be able to make it out of the door before either Faith or Cordy caught them.

Faith and Cordy decided to combine their taste in clothing to create an effect…a ‘Look’ they wanted for Xander. They decided not to bother Xander with the details, he was already nervous enough.

Cool dignity meet ‘Fuck me, big daddy!’

Ordering Wesley to practice Xander’s table manners, the two uberbitches stormed NYC for the right night wear for Xander’s date with Angel.

Which he quite loudly denied having. Claiming that it was merely one *friend* taking another *friend* out to dinner. And he flushed at the scornful looks that appeared on Cordy and Faith’s faces before they left.

“Well, that’s my story and I’m sticking to it!” He announced stubbornly to Wesley’s disbelieving gaze.

Several hours later, the two girls returned, loaded down with bags from exclusive clothing stores. Expensive clothing stores. Very expensive.

How expensive?

The names of the clothing store was discretely embossed on the bags. In very tiny letters. At the bottom of the bag. Hell, you needed a magnifying glass to read the name of the store, Xander finally decided in disgust. This was definitely NOT gonna be the type of shop *he* patronized.

He tossed a mental sneer at Giles…see, I was paying attention when you used those big words.

The two girls hurried because they had a bare three hours in which to get Xander dressed. He was pushed, shoved and tugged around like a rag doll before they finally stepped back and announced they were ‘pleased with the results’.

Xander was too afraid to look in the mirror, terrified that he wouldn’t recognize whatever they did to him. He whimpered slightly. They hurt his head with the comb and brush.

And Wesley could only stare in awe at what the two girls accomplished with Xander. Poor Angel. He didn’t have a prayer. Xander would be lucky if they made it to the restaurant before his vampire was all over him.

Sleek black pants caressed long legs. The material shimmered subtly as light fell on the cloth. And paired with the pants was a matching cropped jacket that just brushed the narrow hips, drawing attention to the well shaped ass cupped in the black pants.

A blue shirt completed the outfit. Dark satin cuffs and collar peeked from the sleeves and the neck of the jacket. The suit looked perfectly respectable. Elegant yet with a latent sensuality was evoked by the shimmering cloth, leading a body to simply want to touch the material. To feel if that shimmering effect made the material harsh, but if it was harsh then how could the boy wear it so easily…so casually.

So very respectable. At least, until the jacket was removed and the shirt was revealed in all it’s sinful glory.

But for the dark blue stripes that scored the front and ONLY the front of the shirt, the material was totally sheer. Xander might as well not have bothered wearing a shirt it was so transparent. And combined with the carefully disheveled hair, Faith’s doing he had no doubt, the dark haired boy was a walking pheromone inducing body.

“Well, what do you think?” Xander asked nervously of Wes. Sulking slightly cause neither of the girls would let him look in a mirror. He sighed at the other man’s silence. He obviously looked like something the cat dragged in and threw up by the stunned look in Wes’ eyes.

“Poor Angel…” the Watcher muttered and shook his head with a tiny smile. Serves him right for practically ignoring Xander for the past two weeks.

“That bad, huh…” and Xander turned to the girls to force them to let him change clothes. Not that he thought he would have much success. They hadn’t been listening to him before.

“Angel’s not going to know what hit him…” Wesley chuckled softly.

“So, I…uhm..I look okay?” The young man turned back around, his face lighting up with a look of hope.

“Xander, you look bloody marvelous.” The older man assured the anxious boy solemnly, smiling at the shy smile the other gave him.

“Cool!” Xander had a delighted grin on his face as he darted out the door. He bounced cheerfully down the hall with Faith, Cordy and Wes in careful attendance. The other three couldn’t wait to get a look at Angel’s face when he saw Xander.

As for the other residents in the house, word spread quickly about the two. It was amazing just how many people had 'something' to do in the foyer of the mansion. Most of them didn't even bother to pretend they weren't waiting to catch a glimpse of the usually rumpled child. There were a couple of bets going on in the background as to what he was going to be wearing.

And at his appearance, one vampire sprayed blood out of his nose, which caused another vampire to jump back in alarm and he slammed into another who knocked over a priceless Ming vase. Two females fell down the other staircase, crashing into four males who were gawking at Xander. Sending all six into a sprawling tangle of arms and legs.

Rejar, coming into the foyer, came to an abrupt halt at the groaning mass of demons littering the floor. His mouth opened and closed several times, a look of sheer disbelief on his face. Then shaking his head, he turned and walked back into his study. And locked the door. Whatever was going on out there, he didn't want to know about it.

Cordy and Faith sighed in satisfaction at the chaotic scene. Success! And somberly the two girls shook hands with each other.

Xander didn't see anything or hear anything as he came to an abrupt halt at the sight of Angel, standing at the foot of the stairs talking to Kyle. His mouth became dry as he gazed down at the two vampires.

Oh, he was so freakin' gay, he moaned low in his throat. Why else would he want to jump Angel's bones right here and now? But a little voice in the back of his mind shrilly insisted that he was not GAY!

Angel was quietly conversing with Kyle about the situation brewing in Sunnydale. Between Rejar's weekly meeting as well as Spike and Ethan's phone calls, the group felt that they had a sufficient handle on things. Ethan assured them that things were okay...for now. Though Spike told them they had better step up the pace and get their asses back. Being the creature of chaos that he was, the platinum blonde could see the stirrings of unrest throughout the town.

But at the sound of glasses shattering on the marble floor the dark vampire broke off his conversation. Angel looked around and frowned at the stunned looks on several vampires. Then following their gazes upwards, his puzzled look shifted to a look of stunned wonder.

And when Angel met his eyes with an intent whisky brown stare, Xander felt many interesting things begin to shift and move in his body as that irritating little voice was abruptly silenced. Then it groaned...we are so fuckin' gay!

As he slowly headed down the stairs, Cordy sniffled lightly. “I feel like my baby's all grown up; almost like a Fairy Godmother.” She paused. “But with the fairyness on Xander's side, of course.”

She thought for another moment. “And definitely not with that sparkly, poofyish dress on. God, can you imagine how big my hips would look?!”

Faith snickered but had to admit she was feeling a little misty-eyed as well. Though she would punch anybody that said anything about her looking all teary. After everything they had been through, both Xander and Angel deserved at least a bit of happiness.

She turned and glanced back at Wesley...so did all of them. She hoped her Watcher reconciled with his views on vampires and pursued Spike. Otherwise, Wes was gonna have some stiff competition from that Ethan dude. Though she still felt it was so ... ewwww to be fucking a dead guy.

Xander came to a nervous halt next to Angel. He was so jittery that he could barely stand still or look either of the two vampires in the face. The looks the other vampires were directing at him didn't even register on his radar as for once he decided that silence could be a distinct blessing.

Angel cast a speaking look at Kyle before the two parted company and he slid his hand into a warm, sweaty palm. Tugging gently, he pulled Xander out to the waiting limo and ushered his hauntingly, beautiful mortal into the back seat, and slid in after Xander. A smile formed on his lips as he observed the determined way Xander peered with fascinated eyes at the telephone poles that flashed outside the rapidly moving vehicle.

“Isn't it amazing how they grow them? Especially with all those wires and cords. Fascinating...” he murmured into Xander's ear, chuckling softly at the muffled squeak the boy gave. His smile faded at the wild look of panic in Xander's eyes when the mortal turned to him.

“Xan, we go at your pace. If you're not comfortable with anything we're doing, that I'm doing, I can and do recognize the word 'No'. I may not like to hear it, but I do understand it and in several languages.”

Xander let out a shuddery breath and nodded unhappily. “I know. I'm just a little...” he paused and looked at Angel with uncertain eyes.

“Nervous? Scared? Terrified...” Angel asked softly, tangling their fingers.

“Is there an 'All of the above' box that I can check?” Xander looked ruefully down at their enjoined hands. He scooted closer to the reassuring bulk of his vampiric companion.

“You wanna know a little secret?” Angel whispered, pulling his boy closer to him. “I'm nervous, scared and terrified as well.”

“Yeah, right!”

“It's true!” Angel replied at the disbelieving look. “When you care about someone, you get that funny shivery feeling in the pit of your stomach. You don't want to disappoint them and you're terrified that you'll do something absolutely ridiculous or disgusting that they'll never want to see you again.”

“Whoa! How did you know that's how I'm feeling?” Xander gasped with wide astonished eyes.

“Cause I feel the same way about you,” was the quiet reply and a soft kiss was placed on the warm mortal lips.

Xander smiled and leaned comfortably against Angel's solid frame. He simply basked in the moment. Omigod, he had a boyfriend!

Thank God they arrived at the restaurant before he really did that ridiculous thing that Angel was talking about and totally embarrassed himself.

And following Angel's lead, Xander tried to act as if fawning waiters and maitre'd' were an everyday occurrence but he had a sinking feeling that he wasn't too successful. At least not according to the looks a couple of the waiters were giving him. He started lagging behind Angel and watched as a couple of the pretty boys flitted between them. And self doubts began creeping in.

Why would Angel want to be with him when he could obviously have any one of the waiters with a snap of his fingers. The young man eyed the bevy of waiters practically wiggling with excitement when Angel happened to glance their way. Hell, he didn't even need to snap his fingers, all the vampire needed to do was point and they would be on their knees...

Angel stopped abruptly and looked back. “Xander?” He held out his hand, blinking at the blinding smile the boy gave him. Xander hurried forward and slipped his hand in his.

Xander followed confidently in Angel's wake. A mature person would rise above the occasion, he silently told himself. Fuck that, I'm only seventeen! And he stuck his tongue out at the more aggressive of the waiters, making faces at them.

“Uhm, Xander...” Angel prompted the boy softly, puzzled as to why Xander was making faces at the suddenly wooden-faced waiters. At the boy's start of attention, he silently indicated their table.


An enjoyable meal, lively conversation amid laughter completed their dinner. With Xander discovering Angel's sense of humor was almost as ridiculous as his and the vampire found the youth had a surprisingly intelligent mind that he rarely allowed to show. And when asked why, all Xander would do was shrug and change the subject.

A discussion of books led to music then to a rousing, cheerful argument about the merits of music old and new. But all too soon it was time for them to return home and they climbed back into the limo for the return journey.

“Had a good time?” Angel asked indulgently at the drowsy look in Xander's eyes.

“Mmm, yeah. Sleepy now, though,” Xander yawned hugely and leaned his head wearily on Angel's shoulder.

“Sleep then...I'll wake you when we get home,” he heard a soft whisper as his eyes closed.


The next thing he was aware of was the sensation of being carried. Blinking sleepily, he gazed up at a pale face as he was lowered to the bed.

“Stay...” he murmured and Angel hesitated. “Please...” adding enormous puppy eyes to the request.

“I don't wear pajamas...” Angel warned Xander softly and saw the look of hesitation in the dark eyes.

Xander coiled to his knees before Angel. And taking a deep breath for courage, he pulled Angel's head down and breathed softly, “Maybe I don't either.”

Drawing back, he slithered out of his coat and shirt. And with trembling fingers he began unbuttoning Angel's shirt, getting frustrate at the stubborn buttons that were determined to ruin his evening. Finally when he had enough of the annoying buttons, he solved the matter by ripping the shirt open. And vaguely aware of the buttons flying across the room, but he was more focused on the broad expanse of chest revealed to his admiring eyes.

Xander gazed in awe at the gleaming pale ribbed flesh. He felt an irresistible urge to touch and caress the marbled chest. Damn, but Angel was ripped! And hardly aware of what he was doing, he leaned forward and licked at a pebbly hard nipple. He smiled in delight at the shiver that overtook Angel before he decided to see what else he could do that would make the other shiver.

Angel gazed down in a bemused state of lust at the lascivious look on Xander's face. Just before the warm mortal lips latched onto his other nipple, Angel grabbed Xander's hair and pulled him away.

“Xander...Xander, listen to me,” he huskily began, locking onto the dazed, aroused brown eyes. He groaned at the sight of the wet, glistening lips and his head was bending for just a taste...one simple taste of that luscious mouth. One taste...that was all he wanted. And almost without his knowing, his hand gentled its grip. Tilting Xander's head up that fraction of an inch upwards for his to touch.

And he groaned for a different reason now, as reason reasserted itself in his Xanderdazed mind. Talk...that was what he was going to do. Talk. His libido sat up and looked at him in disbelief.

//Are you fuckin' insane? Just look at the boy! Look at how primed and ready he is for you! Fuck him already!// It screamed at him.

//Yeah? And what if he regrets this? I sure as hell don't want to wake up in the morning with him hating me or regretting loving me!// Angel reminded his libido sharply, effectively silencing the nagging voice.

“Xander....” he sighed. And changing directions, he rested his forehead against the boy's forehead.

“Do you know what you're doing?” Angel asked the boy gently.

As that soft question penetrated his lustful daze, Xander came back to himself with a thump and trembled in reaction. You stupid idiot! He screamed at himself, drawing back from Angel and lowering his head in shame.

And Angel cursed himself at the scent that suddenly poured from Xander. He forced the lowered face up to his and kissed the drooping lips with all the burning passion he felt for Xander. And he got lost in the intoxicating lips, the hungry moans he was pulling from the lusciously, firm body that squirmed delightfully against him. He lowered them to the bed and settled them onto their sides. Dipping again and again into the sweet mouth that parted for him eagerly as he pressed his leg between the muscular thighs and rocked against the hardening package he felt.

Then slowly he pulled his lips from the warm, mortal one with a slight sound and pulled Xander's head into his chest so he wouldn't be tempted.

“Never doubt that I want you. Never doubt that,” he whispered hoarsely. “But I don't want you to regret anything in the morning, Xander.”

Xander gazed into Angel's face. “I won't regret anything. I just...I just want...I...want...” and he heaved a frustrated sigh before attacking Angel's lips again. Wiggling with excitement at a cool interior inside, then as a sleek and wet tongue began playing with his.

And between nibbling kisses, Xander managed to toe off his shoes, absently kicking them off the bed. He parted his legs, whimpering softly as Angel settled hungrily into the warm cradle. He hissed when his pale lover deliberately rocked against the bulging erection tenting his pants. He drank down the cry of delight the boy gave and repeated his actions until Xander was rocking upwards against him with increasing desperation.

He turned them back over on their sides and trailed his hand down to the hardening cock straining Xander's pants. Cupping the cloth covered shaft in his hand and squeezing gently, relishing the passionate cry Xander made at his move.

Holding Xander's eyes, he deliberately unfastened first Xander’s then his pants and shoved them down, along with their briefs. And the young man let out a startled cry when he was flipped over onto his front.

Angel palmed the fleshy cheeks of Xander's ass before grinding his thick shaft meaningfully against the warm globes.

“This is what I want,” Angel rasped. “I want to be buried deep inside you. I want to bathe in your cum, drink you down, love you until you are too hoarse to scream. And when you finally cum I want to feel you squeezing me so tightly, hurting me so sweetly, that all I can do is scream your name.”

Xander's eyes were dazed as he fought to breathe at the sensual pictures Angel was building in his mind. And for half a second he wanted to protest.

“God, yessss....” Then Angel allowed him to twist back around. Xander gazed down at the thick jutting shaft and trembled in fearful anticipation. He felt his ass spasm involuntarily at the coming invasion from that hard organ.

And he whimpered slightly when Angel blanketed his body with his own much larger, cooler body.

Xander stared at the shadows shaping Angel's cheeks, at the thick blue-veined flesh held in a pale hand. He glanced back up at his would be lover’s face, searching the shadowy darkness of Angel’s eyes. Then he allowed his eyes to rest again on the engorged red crown that seemed to lengthen even as he gazed at it. And his eyes inevitably ended in the thatch of curly brown hair.

He swallowed hard, his eyes darting up to meet Angel’s eyes questioningly.

“I'm just over 10 inches long when erect,” the vampire whispered softly, kissing the love swollen lips reassuringly.

Angel leaned over and grasped Xander's hands. “Remember...”

And Xander’s arms were stretched gently over his head. His fingers guided to silky smooth wood. He closed his fingers tightly around Angel’s, locking their hands together around the intricately scrolled headboard. Gasping as Angel rocked into him. He involuntarily arched upward with a short cry of need.

“Remember, my love...” Angel murmured again, trailing his tongue over the warm whorls of his mortal lover’s ear.

Angel’s words were a brief puff of air against Xander’s ear. And he shivered at the cool caress of words, feeling his limbs tremble at the wet shaft that trailed a line of moisture on the inside of his thighs.

“I’ll remember.”

And slowly he felt the larger man sink down again over him, blanketing him with cool flesh. A hard broad chest compressed his, a rippling stomach molding his, their thick turgid shafts pressed together while hips sank between his thighs.

“Don't ever forget who I am,”...a cool scorching tongue filled his mouth, rimmed his lips.. “or what I can do.”

Xander could see every pore in Angel's marble-perfect skin. He felt as if he could count every eyelash framing his lover's eyes. It seemed like he could feel every nerve stretching outward towards the thick penis that pulsed between their bodies.

Angel lifted himself up, drawing a mewling cry from the writhing body below before rolling them onto their sides. His hard aching shaft continued leaking a steady dribble of pre-cum as he slid his shaft between Xander's legs and rocked into the shimmying body. He took lascivious delight in the flushed, hungry look on his Xander's face before he lowered his mouth again to the passion swollen lips. Delving greedily for that warm, agile tongue.

Xander sagged against Angel as the wet cool heat invaded his mouth. His body writhed as spiraling need escalated with a single flick of Angel's tongue. And he opened his mouth wider, begging for more of the thick, luscious kisses.

Angel lifted his mouth again and pulled Xander’s head backwards. And delved deeper into the heated depths as his tongue mated with the slick flesh. His other hand trailed erotically down warm shimmering hips, edging over the silken, flexing ass to the heated entrance. Briefly he pulled his hand back and slid his fingers between their bodies, scooping up copious fluid from their drooling cocks before returning to the quivering rosebud. Circling the spasming wrinkled flesh with teasing fingers. Enticing the muscle to a state of blissful relaxation.

Circle, press inward gently and he kept repeating his movements, slowly introducing two fingers into the supple flesh. He continued covering Xander’s mouth with thick, biting kisses. He eased his fingers out, scooped up more of the precious fluid and returned to the heated sheath, gliding his fingers a little more easily into the grasping channel.

Xander whimpered, arching harder into Angel. His eyes widened and he couldn’t help the whimper that came from his mouth. Omigod….Angel was way…WAY thicker than his fingers.

Angel felt Xander relax again as he returned his fingers to the quivering entrance. Stroking slowly, teasingly each time he thrust into the little bottom mouth. Until finally with three fingers, he was stretching the puckered opening even more.

And Xander’s breath caught in his throat. He was lost in the dark, narrowed eyes that gazed down at him.

“Take me,” Angel voice was hoarse as he brushed against the sensitive nerve nodule, grazing his fingers across it beguilingly. Smiling tightly as Xander arched frantically upward into him. He wanted their second time to be far better than their first. That was about necessity...this was about love. About need.

About them.

He took the warm thick shaft in hand and slowly pumped it, while he eased his cock into the warm opening.

Xander squeezed his eyes shut, his mouth opening wide. It felt like a fist prodded him, impossibly large...and then it was impossibly lodged inside him.

Angel tightened his hand on the pulsating organ, light, hard, slow...

Pain. Pleasure...

Xander felt himself loosen, opening impossibly for more. More pain. More pleasure...

And the pain was gone...but the pleasure continued to grow. Surround him with steady cool, pulsating heat.

Harsh breath filled the room, and slowly Xander opened his eyes. He pulled Angel down into a warm hungry kiss, tentatively wiggling on the thick muscle resting within him.

The rigid length lodged inside him remained still; but the hand encircling his shaft certainly had no intention of remaining still. It slipped down...testing the tightness of the thin ring of flesh circling the iron rod, glided back up, slippery wet...he needed Angel deeper...

He convulsed and cried out. “GOD!”

And the large plum-shaped crown, that stretched him almost beyond bearing, sank even deeper into his hungry flesh. His body yawned wider as jagged sensations ripped through him when Angel slid deeper inside him.

He panted for air.

He throbbed. He could feel IT throbbing. Thick and hard as iron bar inside him.

He clenched the bedspread tightly in his fists, struggling to accept more.

“Oh, God”...was ripped from his throat again...”Angel...I...I can't ....Angel...”

“What, Xander? What can't you do?”

Or not to do...

But he didn't want to stop Angel.

“I...omigod...” came out almost as a high shriek when Angel pulled back, then glided thickly into him. “I need...” he gasped, his eyes were dazed and turned inward. Seeking out the source of all the sparkling joy searing through his soul..

“What do you need?” Angel purred hoarsely, his eyes a glittering gold as he wrestled with his need, trying to stop himself from just shoving deeply into the warm opening. So hot. So good.

“You....” Xander sighed. It was true...he needed Angel.

And Angel lost his battle for control. He slammed into the hungry pucker, drawing a startled shout of pleasure from Xander. And he swallowed the next cry that came from the mortal as he lunged repeatedly into the narrow sheath. The mattress dipped as he hungrily possessed the warm, frantic mouth that feasted on his. Groin grinding into heated groin. Cool, hard hips banging at the heart of heated flesh, the mattress a squeaky symphony to the loud moans and slick sounds of sex.

He licked at Xander's tongue; he nibbled at the warm succulent morsel. He suckled at the sweet muscle as if it were all that kept him alive. More powerful than blood. This....this was bliss beyond death. Pleasure unending. Xander.

Xander tore his mouth from Angel's and screamed when the hard tunneling flesh seemed to lodged inside his throat. He felt like the breath was being knocked out of his lungs with each plunging stroke. Pleasure was Angel...his tongue, his lips, his hands, his cock that was slickly slamming into his shuddering body.

His back bowed. His legs climbed the hard, muscled flanks as his heels rested on the flexing asscheeks while his opening kept spasming greedily, taking Angel deeper...

“Open your eyes, Xander.”

Open? Huh? When did I close them?

So, with extreme difficulty he did so, eyes dilated with pleasure. Only to have stormy, golden eyes waiting for his. And reflected back at him deep in Angel's eyes was a stranger, with a drugged passionate face. He was beautiful in his need, of open-mouthed bliss...desire transfigured his face. It was him. The stranger was him!

He cried out. His eyes were wide and shocked at the raging feeling...the volcanic force that was rushing through him. He could feel the burning...the aching need for release with each pulsating jab into his core.

“Oh...oh...OH!...Omigod...omigodomigod!...Oh God, ANGEL! Angellllll....” he screamed, his eyes dazed at the scorching pleasure building...coming...closer...

Angel was braced on one arm, as he continued to pull at the angry stiff shaft while he thrust furiously into the sweet, tight channel. That look of dazed passion on Xander's face, the breathy moans of hunger...the gyrations of the lithe body twisting wildly on his cock only intensified his need, his desire for him. For Xander.

And when Xander's expression shifted to a look of startled wonder he could no longer hold back his own scorching release. He pumped fiercely into the quivering sheath, groaning each time Xander bore down on him. His hand glided slickly over the wet, pulsating organ as creamy emission poured over his hand when he pulled the boiling cum from his mortal lover. The scent, oh that heady aroma from the thickly spewing cock drove him to a higher level of culmination.

“Oh, yes...! YESSSSS! XANDER...” he bellowed. Then came his final wild plunges into the burning, spasming core. Feeling ecstasy sparking his nerves to a shattering release. Five pumping thrusts into the clinging pucker drove him into a final, gushing cum. And he flooded the warmly gripping entrance, that held him so tightly, so sweetly with a fountain of cum.

He collapsed heavily onto his side, unwilling to let Xander bear his much heavier weight. Dragging a ragged moan from them both at the loss of intimate contact.

“I...I...I think you broke me,” Xander gasped out, staring up at the ceiling. “Is that what sex is supposed to feel like?”

“No, but love is...” Angel rasped out, pulling the boy closer to him and tiredly pulling them both from the bed.

“Angel, I really don't think I'm up to walking just yet. Give me another week or better yet two weeks and I'll probably'll be good as new.”

Angel chuckled hoarsely and picked him up. He knew Xander was exhausted or he would have immediately protested such a move. His lovely boy was very touchy about his perceived version of manliness.

Swiftly he strode through their joined bath and entered his room. Bracing Xander, he swept back the sheets and eased the exhausted boy into the bed before spooning against his back. And feeling the stickiness on Xander's stomach and chest, he muttered and wearily got back up again.

Fetching a warm cloth, he cleaned them both and grinned at the smug, sated smile Xander still wore.

Spooning tightly behind his lover again, Angel fell deeply asleep.


And then after, nothing separate the two. Oftentimes, one or the other would be simply waiting in their now shared bedroom. Naked and hard, hands idly busy at either a hard drooling shaft or a quivering ass. Stroking, teasing themselves to a state of hard readiness for the other.

Too many times Xander had walked into the room after a training session only to have his eyes fall on Angel's towering erection. And in a daze of lust, he would be discarding his clothing and running eagerly over to the bed. Crouching over that huge shaft, impatiently waiting for Angel to finished preparing him before he slowly lowered himself over that tower of power. Gasping and moaning with delirious joy at the burning stretch that would oftentimes accompany the thick, fat shaft entering his narrow passage.

He didn't know whether he loved riding Angel, being the one in control or having Angel pound his ass into mush while flat on his back, or on hands and knees or bent over something. But he decided he really didn't give a damn just as long as Angel fucked him until he couldn't walk straight.

Then he found a new obsession and clothes became optional in the room, then were discarded outright as too distracting once Angel taught him the pleasures of giving head. Sitting and watching television on the couch in their bedroom, he would frequently bury his head in Angel's lap and have a swiftly rising shaft deep in his mouth. He loved having the cool shaft between his lips in its softened state, it was usually the only way he could stuff it all into his mouth. Easing off of the growing length as it increased in girth.

And he would wiggle with pleasure, because by then Angel would be playing in his ass. Thrusting a hard finger into his honeypot and stirring it around. He would suck and get delightfully fingerfucked to his heart's content and for doing such a good job...he got to ride Angel's cock for another shattering orgasm.

To make things even easier, he had taken to slicking himself up morning , noon and night just to be on the safe side. Too often just after a training session, Angel would be waiting for him and would drag him outside into the overgrown maze. He loved how the outside was shaped, just about everywhere was sheltered in some way from the sun.

And once outside, he would turn his back, push his pants down and drop to his knees, and groan at the thick fingers parting his cheeks then the big, plum topped shaft would be splitting his ass apart. Fucking him with a thoroughness that was devastating. The harsh groans, his name chanted like it was some sorta holy word. The sighing moans of pleasure...the thick, pistoning shaft stroking across his prostate blew his mind every time. He loved having Angel fucking him outside, especially during the day.



Six Week Later...

Upon upon the roof top a dark figure crouched easily in wait for his prey. And save for the gleam of light on his dark skin, one could mistaken him for a trick of light. The dark clothes, his very stillness blended with the shadows. Even the pattern of tattoos alongside his bared neck, broke up the play of light on him. Easily lending to his camouflage in the shadowy darkness.

He was still motionless even when he heard the sound of voices, arguing voices really, coming from the mouth of the alley. Then an almost imperceptive quiver ran through him and his eyes narrowed ominously at the sight of two dark-haired Caucasian children entering the wide space below. And if he could hear them, he was sure his prey could also. The corners of his lips barely curved upwards in icy amusement, perhaps this would be easier than he thought.

“Are you sure this is the way?” The girl cried out in exasperation.

“Uhm…yeah…of course it is,” the boy said with some indignation. Though there was a slight note of hesitation underscoring his tone.

And below, the girl’s eyes narrowed furiously. “We’re lost aren’t we?!” Her voice was flat with the beginning of incipient rage.

“No, we’re not lost! All I have to do…uhm…I have to just…just…uhm. Aw fuck it! We’re lost…” the boy groaned in dismay as they both turned in a helpless circle.

Golden eyes flashed in the shadows around them and the hunters eagerly licked their lips. But they were still wary. Not only had rumors spread that Blade was in town and hunting, but there was a new bunch of hunters in the city. And word on the street was that one of them was the Slayer. So they were cautious as they surveyed the children. Very cautious.

“And I just bet you didn’t bother to tell Rej where we were going did you?” The girl yelled almost demandingly.

The boy drew himself up defensively. “What would be the fun in that? The whole point was to show them that we can handle shit ourselves! When we go back home, we can prove that we can handle ourselves, BY ourselves!”

Her eyes narrowed even further. “Phone home E.T!”

“I’m a man, I don’t need to ask for some damn directions!”

“Don’t make me hit you!”

“Bring it on Sister Sledge!”

The dark warrior on the rooftop eyes widened in astonishment as the two began to scuffle in the alley. Didn’t they see the vampires creeping up on them or were they that oblivious to danger?

Two minutes later he received his answer and he settled back down with narrowed, cold eyes to watch.

The first vampire was poised in position. He nodded to his five companions and received short nods in return. They were ready as well.

Unfortunately, Cordy and Xander were ready for them too. Each slid effortlessly past the other and quickly staked a vampire, leaving only four vampires to fight.

And using every move they had been taught, they fought grimly. Back to back, springing apart as needed, using the walls of the buildings as springboards and everything they could find to put a serious WWF smack down the two vampires. Brutal punches, kicks, stakes and trashcan lids were their forms of attack and defense.

Cordy threw a trash can at one of the vampires, neatly decapitating him before launching a flurry of rapid kicks at her other opponent. While Xander on her other side was putting a serious hurting on his two antagonists with hard hitting kicks and a rock held clenched in his hand, adding impetus to his punches. And he managed to punch his fist right through one of his vampires before blocking his other attacker with a raised forearm.

Now it was two on two and the two remaining vampires fought on with deadly focus, grimly determined that only two would be walking away from this alley. And it ain’t gonna be the humans. They lit into Cordy and Xander furiously, pulling out every bit of knowledge they had been passed down by their Sire.

Blade watched the fight with raised brows, reluctantly impressed by the way the two kids were fi…and he froze, straining his hearing, his senses about him.

~Crunch~

He spun around, bladed weapons at the ready…and blinked at the sight of two dark haired people sitting calmly watching the fight. And him as well.

Faith pulled another potato chip from the bag and popped it in her mouth. “Want some?” She extended the bag of barbecue chips to the man. “They’re the good ones.”

Angel nudged her. “He’s a half breed.” He opened his thermos and poured a little blood into the cup and extended it silently to Blade. Frowning slightly at the motionless man. “It’s okay, it’s not human.”

Blade studied the two almost as intently as he had studied the two below. What the hell were they? The girl made him tingle almost like she was dangerous to him in some way, while the man, he was positive, was a vampire.

“Who are you?” He demanded with little show of emotion. But he had already evaluated them quickly and he knew where his weapons were. He barely twitched at the yell of pain from below, though his eyes narrowed interestedly at the flicker of awareness in the two facing him.

“Name’s Faith, he’s Angel,” Faith jerked her thumb at her vampiric companion. She hurriedly wiped her greasy hand on her thigh just in case he wanted to shake her hand. MaryAlice had been teaching her manners and shit. This would be a perfect opportunity to use them. Wasn’t often that she got to meet strangers.

“Vampire?” Blade looked quickly at the pale dark-haired male.

“Yep…” Angel sipped at his blood, sitting up to look over the other man’s shoulder at how well Xander and Cordy were doing. He smiled broadly as Cordy finally dusted her opponent. He nudged Faith again, directing her attention downward.

“You go, girl!” Faith yelled down to her friend and received a triumphant wave in return. “Uh oh, Kyle, Pascal and Wes is down there and I don’t think they look to happy with them,” she said worriedly to Angel. She jumped down from her perch and made a wide circle around the dark man to peer down at the action below.

Angel, however, kept his eyes on the dark warrior. He heard rumors about a vampire slayer. A half-breed named Blade of all things. He snorted softly, who would have thought a vampire and human could create a child?

His eyes flashed gold as the man seemed to make an abortive move towards Faith, who spun around casually to face him.

Blade kept part of his attention directed at the man, but was reevaluating his initial impression about the girl when she got closer to him. Every instinct was screaming danger and to kill her quickly. Then he realized what she was…

“A Slayer…” and his lip curled in disgust at her close proximity to Angel.

“Yeah…you got some sorta problem with that, Leatherboy? Angel, who the hell is he and can I kill him? He’s got me all tinglylike and not in a good way, if you know what I mean.” Faith demanded, pulling a stake from her jacket and tapping it irritably.

“Hmmm, don’t know if the rules about half-breeds would cover him,” Angel replied thoughtfully. He didn’t miss the way the man tensed at the word ‘half-breed’.

“Sorry,” he apologized with a slight grimace. “It’s just that I always assumed that a Daywalker was some kinda myth.”

Faith relaxed slightly and sniggered softly. “Dude, you shoulda known better. We’re having all sorts of myths coming outta the closet,” she said confidingly to the other man.

She turned to look at the half-ashamed look on Xander and Cordy’s faces and shook her head pityingly. She told them not to be so fucking showy when they fought, but did anybody listen?

Blade backed away slightly then cast a look downward. Unless he was mistaken the two kids were human as was the other man below. But the four others screamed to his senses: Vampire! Something was decidedly wrong with this scene. Best to retreat until he and Whistler found some answers. Besides there was always Club Sunset if he decided he needed some action.

So with a swift movement, he dropped off the roof, landed on the fire escape below and quickly made his way from the area.

“Rush…rush…rush…that’s all people do these days!” Faith complained, annoyed by the man's need to hurry away. He didn't even bother to introduce himself. He was a mannerless boob. She frowned or did MaryAlice call it 'mannerless boor'? Probably was boor, MaryAlice didn't like using the word 'boob'.

Angel stared in distance, just able to make out the deadly warrior’s motorcycle as the man sped away in the distance. “Don’t worry, I’m sure we’ll come across him again.”


Xander beamed happily as he ran into the bedroom and jumped on Angel. “Did you see us?! Did you see me and Cordy kick some serious demon ass?! Me and Cor went all Star Trek-y, the original that is, on them. I was doing a mad Captain Kirk on my guys!” He crowed excitedly, pumping a fist in the air. He kissed Angel in pure triumph before jumping off his lover. And breaking out into a song he began dancing around the room.

“We are the champions! We are the champions….OF THE WORLD!” He screeched the last words out.

And Angel sat up slowly, a wide smile on his lips as he regarded his dancing, excited boy. Xander had literally blossomed under the close, indulgently watchful attention of the House of Aureli. All his humans had flourished under the careful scrutiny of the vampiric house, including Wesley. Even the Watcher’s attire had morphed into clothing more suitable to his occupation, that of hunting the big nasties.

They had even managed to talk him into wearing contacts! Something that the man had been stridently against until he realized it improved his vision considerably. And after explaining that slightly more tighter clothes was invaluable in a fight, he easily went along with their suggestions without knowing it was a bald-face lie. So engrossed was the Watcher in the research library that often times he would forget to shave. Since he looked so incredibly good with dark stubble along his jaw, no one bothered to remind him to shave.

Angel smiled and braced himself as Xander catapulted himself back into his beloved vampire’s arms. “We did good?” He looked hopefully at his lover, wanting reassurance of how well they did. Kyle, Passy and Wes were always stingy with the praise, he grumbled to himself.

“You did really well,” came the soft response and he nodded, relaxing in the cool arms that cradled him tenderly.

Angel stroked tousled hair away from Xander’s face as his eyes drifted over the golden-skinned boy. Despite the bruises darkening his face, the black eye and the split lip, he thought Xander never looked so beautiful or wonderful.

“Though you did sorta leave yourself open to that other vampire with that overhand blow. He coulda slipped easily under your guard since you extended yourself a bit too much,” the vampire added in a grave voice.

“Yeah, that’s what I thought too,” Xander sighed. “Boy, did Kyle tear a piece off my ass for that!”

“He did? Where? Let me see,” Angel replied playfully. He spun his lover around and pulled down his pants.

“Mmmmm, looks like your ass is still all here,” he continued huskily, kissing a bruise darkening the tanned flesh. He gently parted the cheeks and laved his tongue between, wetting the flexing muscle that seemed to pulse eagerly for his attention.

“You’re just saying that ‘cuz you wanna fuck me,” Xander gasped, pressing back for more of the wet caress. He cried out as a cool tongue burrowed into his suddenly aching hole.

“True…” came the muffled response and he groaned, bending and bracing his hands on his thighs.

And long, endless minutes passed as Angel made sure that Xander’s ass was still ‘attached’ while the boy tried to hold himself steady against the waves of pleasure raging through him.

Xander sagged and felt himself flipped faced down on the bed. Crying out hoarsely as a cool tongue found its way back between his trembling ass cheeks.

Angel dove back into the snug, dark interior. Teasing the quivering hole with sweet, beguiling kisses. Encouraging the tight ring of guardian muscle to a state of eager pulsating attention. He tickled the silky pucker with the tip of his tongue, enjoying the moaning he was wringing from his lovely boy as the wrinkled flesh seemed to unfurl hungrily against his lips. He stiffened his tongue and lingeringly swiped it up and down the silken track of Xander's lovely crack. And reaching under, he felt for that thick boyish cock that was rising high and hard against a now muscled stomach. Angel wrapped his fingers around the rigid shaft and gradually eased it back between the strong corded thighs, forcing the dangling balls up and against his chin.

He rubbed his thumb against the sensitive area of Xander's dick, right below the drooling, dripping head, and his boy squirmed excitedly. Pressing his wanton butt back against him, driving his mouth, his tongue even deeper into the musky hole.

So moist. So delicious.

He hummed eagerly into the wrinkled hole, smiling at the anxious bucking that caused. He continued reaming Xander's hot ass with his tongue, eating it, gnawing at it with blunt teeth, probing the slicken interior with his tongue. Groaning at the intoxicating taste. He had yet to stop rubbing the throbbing cock with his thumb, loving the wiggling flexing butt against his mouth. He popped his tongue out of the twitching, gaping hole and began teasing distended balls and the thick turgid shaft. He washed the underside of Xander's dick with broad swipes of his tongue and eagerly collected the salty drops of cum that dripped from the broad head of the sweet shaft.

After savoring the drizzling precome, Angel returned back to his second favorite activity, tongue-fucking Xander to a state of mindless bliss. He loved hearing Xander begging for him to fuck him, the dirty words that came from the trembling lips only spurred him to more excesses. Finally when he felt Xander's asshole running with cool spit and clenching desperately at his tongue he knew Xander would start babbling, begging for his well-deserved fuck.

“Angel, please…! Fuck my ass already! I need you fucking me bowlegged! Put it in me! Fuck me damn you! Ram that big cock up my ass, I want to feel it in my throat...” Xander finally begged his lover brokenly and he found himself flat on his back. He felt his shoes come off and his pants practically ripped off. But who cared about clothes at a time like this.

He arched up with a strangled yowl of pleasure as Angel took him deep in his throat. And he hungrily pumped his hips into the cool liquid embrace, his eyes dazed at the sensation raging through him.

“Need you…” he panted hoarsely, tugging at the dark spiky locks until Angel finally released his organ with a wet sucking sound. They kissed frantically as Xander wrapped his legs tightly around Angel’s waist, their naked members gliding…rubbing against each other. Then he seductively turned over and slipped a pillow under his hips. And casting a coy look over his shoulders, Xander wiggled his ass enticingly.

Angel couldn't help but smile at his lover's wanton antics. He reached down, directing his cock at Xander's entrance and slammed home with one hard powerful thrust. He hissed softly as the heated, opening tightened excitedly around his shaft and the long drawn out howl Xander gave at his sudden entrance. He always seemed to lose all his hard fought control when he was deep inside Xander. His lover was so hot and tender, so defenseless inside...it was almost impossible to describe the way it felt to be balls deep inside that fluttering channel. He drove deep into the blistering passage, hunching his hips as he powerthrust into the hot, wanton core. He drew out slowly, not stopping till Xander’s sphincter caught the flaring rim of his cockhead. Growing even harder inside the constricting heat at the mewling cries that spilled from his dark kitten as Xander writhed around the iron rod of flesh jammed so deep in his silky ass.

He pulled Xander's ass up and just concentrated on the wrinkled fleshy hole, and just hammered at the prostate buried deep within while Xander shouted and bucked greedily under him.

He trailed his hand between their legs and fondled the stout length that was Xander's cock, pulling back and feeling those luscious balls drawn tightly up on either side of the hungry shaft.

His urgent need for Xander seemed to increase with every pistoning stroke into the wet tightness of his boy's ass. And when Xander's quivering channel started to spasm wildly around his aching cock, he lost it...he utterly, fuckingly lost it. He reared back and bracing his hand on Xander's hips, he rode that twitching, flexing ass hard and as fast as he could. Their harsh screams and cries, echoed the squeaking and thumping of the bed. Their moans ecstatic pleasure rose accordingly as they both started the climb to an orgasmic release.

And finally, they came together.

Angel could see, he could feel the strong contractions racking Xander's muscular body as his boy pumped steaming cum into the pillow. And his cum gushed out of him as if it would never stop, blasting deep into Xander's asshole, filling the wanton hole to the brim with his lifeless cum.

While Xander whimpered and spasmed involuntarily as each shot grazed across his sensitive nerve nodule.

“Dear God, does it get better?! Cause I think I might have a heart attack next time,” Xander gasped when he had recovered his breath and Angel chuckled. He knew the feeling and just was thankful that he was dead.

He slid out of the still fluttering hole, gritting his teeth when Xander seemed to want to cling to him. He rolled over to his side, pulling Xander around to him, dipping his fingers into the wet heat again and again. As always, delighting in touching the loosened flesh and feeling the cum drenched core. His cum. Only his cum would ever fill Xander's ass.

They were exceedingly sticky. The pillow was soaked, Xander was soaked and had cum oozing from his ass. But right now, Angel really didn't give a fuck. He wanted, no...he craved sleep like he needed blood to live. He lifted his head to tell Xander and found the wide, brown eyes gently closed; a tiny snore coming from his exhausted honey. Angel smiled and joined Xander in sleep, briefly wishing that even in this state they could be together. And in his sleep his arm tightened protectively around his mate.


Three weeks later, Xander, Faith and Cordy entered the club and surveyed the thronging crowd with wide eyes. At least Cordy and Xander's eyes were wide as well as their mouths had dropped open in sheer astonishment, while Faith just began dancing to the house mix.

“Now that’s what I’m talking ‘bout!” Faith screamed to her companions over the loud music. “Welcome to my world!”

All three were dressed in their best club dancing clothes. Cordy stalked down the stairs in a pair of thigh high, snakeskin boots. A micro dark green skirt, paired with a backless black shirt had many of the men oogling the subtle sway of rounded hips. Face was expertly made up, lips an inviting dark crimson and eyes sparkled with a challengingly haughty stare whenever she caught someone’s eye. She looked the epitome of a good girl that stumbled into the seedier parts of town.

Faith in marked contrast looked entirely like she belonged among the jumping crowd. She was poured into a pair of thin red leather pants, so thin that it was obvious that nothing came between her and her leather. A thin, wispy low-cut, ruby red top flowed easily downward from her shoulders, cascading to her knees. Respectable until one noticed that there was absolutely no back to the shirt, only a single tie that criss-crossed between her breasts held the shirt on. And few people eyed the tie on her back, speculating what would happen if someone just happened to ‘accidentally’ pulled the string. Faith casually glanced around, a crooked smile on her face whenever she caught someone's eye. But there was something dark about her inviting eyes that gave a few men pause.

Xander simply ignored the looks he was receiving. Since it wasn’t Angel, or anybody else in his ‘family’ he really didn’t give a shit about them. Besides, Faith and Cordy were still dressing him so he didn't see the big deal. Shirt, pants, shoes. Whoop-de-doo. He still wasn’t entirely too sure if it was legal to be wearing leather pants this tight, but Faith said it was so he had to go with her advice. Especially considering that between MaryAlice and she, they were keeping the leather industry extremely happy, he figured that maybe she knew something.

He had some doubts about his shirt, but Cordy insisted. Like what’s up with the bare shoulders? Did the idiots that made the shirt run out of material or something? Next time, he was going shopping for his own clothes! Damn’t, he wanted some nice Hawaiian shirts to wear!

He glanced to his right, then left and smiled at the one item that all three now wore. Thick, golden collars. They were assured that no one would bother humans with collars on. It signaled that these particular humans belonged to a House.


“Do you see the guys?” Xander yelled into Cordy’s ear and at her quick head shake, he asked Faith who also indicated that she didn’t see the men.

Faith grabbed Xander by the hand, and he in turn desperately grabbed a hold of Cordy as they made their way through the crowded club.

He pulled them to a stop halfway in the middle of the crowd. “Don’t you think we need to find out where they’re sitting so we can get to them?” He yelled/asked them reasonably, and at their nods, he tried not to let how uneasy he felt with all these people around him. Crowding him, touching him. He jumped as he felt a hand ghost across his butt and he glared venomously around.

They all stretched, then stood on tiptoes but they still couldn’t see over the jumping crowd of dancers. Then Cordy got an idea. Motioning to her friends, she quickly clambered into their palms and allowed them to raise her above the crowd, spotting Kyle and crew easily before she jumped down. Her face screwed in disgust at some of the activities a couple of vampires were engaged in.

“Omigawd! And in a Dolce original too!” She shuddered in revulsion, feeling almost faint with disgust. “....ewwww. They’re cutting open that girl’s back…without taking off her dress. If it was a few years ago, I wouldn't say anything. But that's last season's fashion! God, they are EVIL.”

Xander and Faith rolled their eyes behind Cordy’s back. Trust Cordy to begin with the unimportant and end with the crucial information.

Standing in a darkened corner, shadowy eyes watched the three dark-haired children slide through the crowd.

“That’s them?” Came a hoarse whisper from a whiskery man to his companion and he received a silent nod in response. The other never removed his attention from the three young humans. And not for the first time Whistler cursed his laconic friend. Would it really kill him to spare a couple of words?

Blade’s eyes narrowed fractionally as he spotted a couple of vampires moving to intercept the children and his eyes drifted over to the corner where the three younsters were heading. He settled back to watch what would happen. He easily recognized the House of T’oncata vampires cutting through the crowd like hungry sharks. Only fools and overconfident vampires brought their humans….his hand darted out to the side and slammed a stake through a vampire that was reaching for Whistler…into this club without protection.

He glanced at Whistler’s unconcerned face, a slight softening in his hard obsidian eyes before he returned his attention to where the three Masters had now intercepted the three children. This should prove to be quite interesting, he thought as he then began to spot almost 20 members of the House of Aureli in among the throng.

“Well, well, well…what do we have here?” Purred a blonde-haired vampire as he prowled around Cordy, Xander and Faith. His eyes gleamed with a lascivious lust as he gazed at both the dark haired girls.

“Humans….mmmmm. And you all stink of Aureli,” Jordan glided counter-clockwise to Marco while Lydia stood facing their prey with icy, dead eyes. This maneuver never failed to unnerve their opponents into unwary movements. And these creatures would be no exception.

Vampires began sliding away, forming a circle around the six people. Their eyes alight with hellish excitement.


INTERLUDE....

For over 2,500 years the House T’oncata had long seethed with hatred for the House of Aureli ever since Rejar bested James in a fight for supremacy. There was only one remaining seat on the Council and it was decreed that the seat would go to James as the more worthy despite the whispers about his unsavory appetite for human flesh. Not blood but the actual flesh of humans it was rumored that he enjoyed consuming.

But no one could prove the allegations until James made the mistake of abducting a human servant in Rejar’s household. A mere child, in fact. One that had barely left her mother’s breast.

James, it was rumored, always felt that he was above conventional vampiric customs and that all humans were merely prey for them. He had the utmost contempt for the lesser Houses, of which Aureli was among. Many of the minor Houses had lost human servants to T’oncata’s rapacious appetite, but all were too fearful of the larger, more ruthless House to do more than try to hide their servants better. James had always felt that by favoring them with his attentions, he was merely increasing their stature. It was not often that such a proud and noble House such as T'oncata took an interest in the lesser, smaller Houses. And he decided to ‘favor’ Aureli with his benevolent attentions.

It was the first mistake that the elegantly, beautiful vampire would make.

Rejar was relatively new to ruling the House of Aureli and very much into protecting the line of Aureli and it’s honor. And when the servant was abducted, he turned almost the entire society of vampires upside down in the hunt for the missing child. All the rumors that were whispered like the breeze about James’ appetite were now being screamed like a gale force wind.

And no one…not James, not the Council, nor the many ‘associates’ the House of T’oncata had…could silence the screams of outrage as more and more Houses took courage and came forward with their tales of abducted servants and Pets.

James second mistake was in challenging Rejar to a duel, seeking to silence the loud outcries calling for his removal from the Council. For even members of the Council were shying away from him in revulsion. His first and second lieutenants had advised him that the best way to stop the yells for his removal was to destroy Rejar and his associations.

It was the last mistake James would make as Master of T’oncata. It had been several hundred years since he had last fought anything other than a mock battle, while in the House of Aureli all sparring matches were fought as if you were defending your unlife.

Rejar literally ripped James apart with cold, relentless efficiency. He ignored all wounds to himself and simply focused on removing the elder vampire’s heart. And by the time James realized how badly he had erred, it was too late. Much too late.

The Master of Aureli tore into his torso and removed his withered heart. James crumbled into dust amid the silence of the watching Houses.

And the empty Council seat was immediately offered to Rejar, earning the House of Aureli the long lasting hatred of the House of T’oncata at their fall from grace.

Rejar became the tacit head of the Council, in fact if not in name. Observing, sitting quietly. He made little effort to interfere, but when he spoke…he cut through all the extraneous matters like a finely honed knife. Clearing through clouded issues and forcing the other 10 members to look with new eyes at the evidence and facts brought before the Council.

His voice carried weight and authority. And those that thought to trade on his name, even members of his own household were swiftly disabused of that particular notion.

Houses high or low were now equal in eyes of the Council.


END INTERLUDE

In the club, Faith stood on Cordy’s right side, with Xander on the fashion diva’s left side. And waited for the signal to start kicking ass with no expressions on their faces.

Typically, Cordy went on the attack. She gave Jordan a once over. “That's just nasty. Seriously, a piece of advice I don’t know who told you that rhinestones were back in fashion, but take it from me, they are NOT!”

Jordan stopped and blinked at the dark-haired girl with the vicious tongue. Why wasn’t she running and screaming?

“And you,” she turned to Marcos. “You really need to lose that strawberry blonde hair. You’re still too freakin’ dark, even as a vampire, to pull that off. You look like Bozo the Clown. No, sorry my bad! You look worse” She turned towards Lydia, then solemnly shook her head in despair. “I’m sorry but there’s just no hope for you.”

With a snarl of rage, Lydia attacked. And Cordy put a boot in the attacking vampiress’ face, meeting the woman’s nose with a wet, cracking sound.

Lydia reeled back, her eyes wide and astonished at the pain from her shattered nose hit her brain. Her hands flew instinctively to her damaged appendage as the crowd looked on in wide-eyed amazement.

Marco whipped his head around, his face shifting into demon mode but Xander was ready for him. He backhanded the strawberry blonde demon across the face. Faith didn't bother to wait for an attack. She leaped in the air and planted her size 8 ½ in Jordon’s chest. And had he been human, her blow would have broken several ribs but as it was, he merely shook it off and came at her again.

Lydia screamed like a wounded animal, her eyes bestial with angry humiliation and she leapt at Cordy. Who responded with a combination of blows. Hands and feet slamming with deadly force against the attacking vampiress. While Xander and Faith easily held their own against the other two vampires.

Then they whirled and switched targets. Taking the watching and attacking vampires completely by surprise. And sharp wooden stakes were pulled from pockets, boots and concealed slits and rammed into their opponents chests.

Cordy flipped her stake mockingly and blew at the tip before sheathing it in her boot.

Xander made sure his back was to both Faith and Cordy as they regarded the silent crowd. Their eyes were narrowed as they waited for the next attack.

And the crowd watched the humans with uneasy eyes. These were not the usual brand of humans that one usually ran into. Then another uneasy shiver ran through the crowd. Didn't Jordan say that the humans reeked of the House of Aureli? The House that really didn’t know how to share their humans with their fellow vampires? And a few of the club goers swiftly began counting just how many Aureli were among the crowd and abruptly lost interest in pestering the sweet, little humans. Music resumed and they returned to dancing like their unlives depended on it. And a careful glance to a motionless Aurelian revealed that their unlives definitely depended on them ignoring the humans.

Faith and Pascal exchanged looks then slipped away, something else had caught their attention.

Cordy stalked up to Jeremy and punched him in the gut. “You said that with the collars on nobody was gonna mess with us. Do you know I broke a nail on that skanky bitch’s face!” She yelled at the groaning man, waving her broken fingernail in his face.

Jeremy stood up and tried to jump her in return, but was restrained by Angel while Kyle grabbed Cordy.

“Look I’m getting sick and tired of dragging you two apart!” He yelled at them. “Next time I’m gonna lock you two in a room and wait until one of you either kills the other or you two fuck your brains out.” He eyed them both sternly, silently waiting.

Both Jeremy and Cordy looked at each other and made disgusted faces. “Truce…” Jeremy reluctantly extended his hand.

Cordy sighed and extended hers. “Truce.”

“That was a nice move you made, putting a boot in her face,” Jeremy added hesitantly as they sat down.

Cordy’s face lit up. “You like that?! I’ve been practicing a move I saw Passy make sorta like that.”

Xander rested against Angel’s more solid bulk, watching the dancing crowd in between watching his friends. “You did well out there,” Angel whispered into his lover’s ear. He smiled approval when his boy looked up with pleased eyes before ducking his head shyly.

With everyone else, he could accept compliments but somehow from Angel compliments just…just meant so much more to him.

Xander twisted up again and kissed his vampire softly in gratitude.

“Hmpf, wonder if that kid knows that guy’s a vampire?” Whistler remarked softly to Blade.

“He knows,” came a cool voice from behind them. Blade whirled around, his hands slicing down in a vicious blow. A blow that Faith caught easily.

“Look man, don’t start none and there won’t be none,” she warned him softly. No longer was she club goer, now standing before Blade and Whistler stood a Slayer. One born and bred to hunt the demons of the night. And as far as she was concerned, Blade was a card carrying demon.

In her eyes, darkness settled and cooled. Blade faced her with an equally cold, dark expression on his face. Then his shoulders tensed almost imperceptibly at a tingling presence at his back and his jaw tightened, and his eyes flashed with a dark fire. A feint that’s what the girl was and he fell for it.

“So what’s gonna be,” came a low voice from just behind Whistler who yelped quietly when an iron forearm encircled his neck. Blade spared one cold look at his partner and best friend, and he knew he had no choice in the matter.

“What do you want?” His voice was low and grudging when he spoke.

“Nothin’ much,” Faith grinned in relief. “Just a bit of your time, that’s all. And we’ll even pay you for it,” she added generously.

Blade regarded her suspiciously. “Where?”

“House of Aureli.”

Both Blade and Whistler froze. One in excitement the other in terror. Whistler’s eyes darted to Blade’s, an imploring look in his eyes that the other ignored. And Whistler closed his eyes and silently prayed for the boy, that save for their blood, he considered his son. In all the hunting for vampires, with all the challenges that Blade faced he lived to face his ultimate opponent:: Rejar el Dorchan, Master of Aureli.

Why? Because in meeting with the elder vampire, fighting him would prove that he was NOT inferior to vampires. But Whistler knew that if Blade faced the Master of Aureli in single combat it would prove only one thing: that Blade...that his son was still simply a man. A man that could be killed.

And no matter how much pleading or persuading he did, nothing had changed over the years. His son still had that hard, unyielding look in his eyes.

Now all he could do was just pray.

“When?” Blade looked at the dark-eyed girl in cool contempt. She was the Slayer or at least one of the Slayers, he heard there was two. Though it still puzzled him as to how there could be two living Slayers. But still she was a Slayer and she was consorting with vampires.

Faith’s eyes hardened with a flat, dangerous stillness. There was a time when somebody looking at her like that would have resulted in them getting a swift pop in the mouth. But MaryAlice said that ladies always acted like ladies…and waited until the men got their pants around their ankles before you kicked their dumbasses.

She could wait. MaryAlice and Rejar had been teaching her patience. And it was surprising just how much patience could hurt, she thought ruefully.

“As an example of our good *faith*,” Pascal grinned at Faith who rolled her eyes in disgust at his little pun. “We will even allow your companion to be our guest so you know our motives are pure.”

At that Whistler angrily tried to struggle from the iron band around his throat. “Get your goddamn hands off me, ya lousy bloodsucking piece of shit!”

“Ooooh, I like him, can we keep him?” Xander exclaimed, his eyes wide and bright with laughter. Angel popped him in the back of the head as they came up to the quartet.

Cordy snickered. “Damn but he sounds just like you, Xan!”

Faith smiled teasingly at the big, dark man. She was definitely enjoying the frustrated rage in his eyes, but she abruptly lost her smile at the cool look of reproof in Wesley’s eyes.

“Pardon my companions' ill-tempered remarks, however, it is quite true that the House of Aureli desires your company and knowledge. Actually, it’s primarily your companion's knowledge that we require,” Wesley stated quietly. But his eyes were equally as cold as Blade. No one was allowed to insult his Slayer especially not a soddin’ jumped up wanna-be.

Blade raised a brow at the glittering look in the man’s eyes and abruptly recalled that all Slayers had Watchers and this must be Faith’s Watcher.

“Do you have the address?” And at the vampire hunter’s reluctant nod, Wes continued briskly. “Excellent, then we will see you, shall we say at noon tomorrow?”

“I’ll be there. And Whistler had better be in excellent condition when I arrive or I’ll tear down the House of Aureli even if I have to blow it up!”

“See, what did I tell ya?!” Pascal glanced around triumphantly. “Humans are always talking about blowing shit up!”


The journey back to the mansion was one of furious silence on Whistler’s part. He glared angrily at the big vampire, cuddled with the boy across from him. His lips curled in disgust. Angel’s eyes slowly faded to a pale shade of gold at the look and the smell from the old man, but Xander rested a hand on his knees.

Whistler blinked at the change in the vampire. For half a second he was sure he was about to meet his maker by the look in the vampire’s eyes, but then the boy touched the man and he visibly seemed to calm down.

“Hi, I don’t think anybody thought to introduce us. My name’s Xander Harris, that’s Cordelia Chase and Faith McDaniels, my two best friends. This is Angel, he’s just my husband,” he said offhandedly about Angel.

“Just your husband? What do you mean, just your husband? I’m your sun and moon, boy! I’m your heart’s desire! Just your husband,” Angel snorted in pretend anger at the wicked laughter dancing in Xander’s eyes while Cordy and Faith collapsed in laughter against each other. Even Wes fought back a tiny smile at Angel’s expression.

“Just for that, no video games for all of you,” Angel remarked stuffily and he was attacked by all three of the laughing trio. Whistler looked on in startled amazement.

“All right, you can play video games,” Angel yelled in protest, huddled in his seat.

“He’s such a good boy,” Xander remarked to Whistler, patting Angel on the head.

They pulled up to the house and got out. Striding up the stairs, Wesley explained to Whistler that Rejar would be meeting him tomorrow morning. He escorted the man to a room and watched as the old man surveyed the room suspiciously.

“Fat lot of good it does me to lock the damn door,” Whistler muttered under his breath. “It’s their goddamn house.”

Wes smiled and chanted a minor spell. Smiling at the yelp Angel gave when he went to enter the room.

“Can you WARN me the next time you do that damn spell?” The vampire said aggrievely. “Anyway, Faith wants to know about their grades on the test they took yesterday. Did they pass or what?” He leaned against the outside doorjam for the answer.

“Oh, sorry I think I left their grades on my desk. You can tell them that they all did wonderfully on the test,” Wesley smiled at the screams and shouts down the hall.

Angel rolled his eyes. “Why did we promise them that they could each have a motorcycle if they passed the test?” He muttered to himself before wandering away.

“What the hell did you just do?” Whistler asked shakily, squinting narrowly at the dark-haired man.

Wesley looked at him coolly. “I simply cast a spell to ensure that you would be able to sleep in comfort knowing that no vampire will be able to enter this room.”

“Magic?!”

“Surely, you’re not going to tell me that you don’t believe in magic?” Wesley raised a skeptical brow.

“Well...not when you say it like that,” Whistler muttered before limping over to the bed.




Chapter 7

The following morning, Rejar sat in his study, gazing at his silent, morose lieutenants. They all read the report and he was unsurprised at their extreme reluctance to act on the report findings. He, rather they, had grown increasingly fond of young Angel's protégés, especially the Twin Terrors, as Xander and Cordy were affectionately known. The young female with her caustic bon wits and astringent nature. It was all carefully designed to protect her soft inner self. He found her motto very amusing…‘Do on to others, before they get a chance to do you’.

And the boy. He was a mixture of tarty, sweet innocence that concealed a courageous spirit. All three of the young humans were not afraid to speak their minds. And it was a refreshing change from the usual kowtowing from the much younger members of the House.

He had watched the clean lines of Xander developing. He thoroughly approved at how well the boy had shaped up in just a few months. All three of the human children had unexpected depths. And it only took a very patient mind to bring their best qualities to the surface.

Cordelia with her sharply focused mind. Once locked onto a target she was single-minded and relentless in achieving her objective. Be it an opponent or, and his lips quirked upwards, the latest in designer wear. And he possessively stroked the lapels of his new suit.

That child was a marvel at ferreting out secrets and brokering deals. Were it not for the Protector's adamant dictates, he would gladly Sire the child and keep her at his side until she matured. Cordelia Chase would make another worthy heir to the House of Aureli.

Were it not for the Protector, he would gladly Turn all four of the humans. With Xander and Faith providing security and Wesley providing the knowledge, Cordelia would raise House Aureli to new levels of being. It was regrettable that Angel was fixated on Xander or otherwise he would have tried to mate Cordelia and Angel to rule over the line of Aureli. With Faith, Xander and Wesley at their sides, the House of Aureli would reach a golden age unparalleled to the vampiric nation.

As for Xander, the boy had became a most formidable adversary in the mock battles Pascal insisted upon conducting. Hidden behind that disarming smile, lurked an inventive and cunning mind. Many of the younger vampires learned the price of underestimating him. With his growing assortment of defensive skills, had any of Pascal’s staged attacks been real, the House would be less five Master vampires.

The Slayer and her Watcher. Separately the pair were dangerous. However, combined they were twice as dangerous. When they first arrived, he sensed some initial hesitation between the two, but now working together…and his smile widened slightly, they were deadly.

Faith, with her deceivingly lush body. A body that hid a warrior's instincts and abilities. 15 vampires had already learned the cost of believing only what they saw. And Wesley, the young Watcher. Always thinking...always planning. He was like an ocean, smooth, calm and disturbingly neutral…but underneath lurked the strong, dangerous undertows. And if a body was not careful, it was extraordinarily easy to be fooled by his seemingly, bland exterior. A Watcher of his caliber had not been seen for over a hundred years. A Watcher capable of ‘watching’ as well as slaying.

Wesley, Xander and Cordy had shaped up to be deadly fighters, while Faith on the other hand had simply needed to learn how to think instead of allowing herself to react, to focus and plan. She needed to learn how to rechannel her energies into other avenues instead of channeling her energies inwards and becoming self-destructive.

Separately, all four humans were dangerous, but united…they were deadly. And backed by the power of the Protector…they were a force of nature.

Unstoppable.

Destructive.

MaryAlice firmed her lips and blinked rapidly. No more of her and Cordy making fun of the fashion disaster movie stars. Nobody would understand clothing like Cordy and Faith did. Who was she going to go shopping with? There would be no one to make catty comments about the salespeople and those stupid women pouring their big asses into too small clothes. Telephones weren't the same.

Kyle sighed softly, his lips turned down in a mute look of sorrow. He had already figured out why Rejar forced him to deal with the humans. He was over 1,524 years old yet he still underestimated what humans were capable of. Rejar wanted to teach him a lesson…a lesson of caution and knowledge.

So he watched. And he understood. He relearned how the humans thought, how they reacted, how they fought. Because as long as vampires walked the earth, humans would be their adversaries...and some would become their allies, reluctant or otherwise. While there could be friendship between the two, it required an effort on the part of the vampires to look beyond the blood that sang to them. It required them to see humans as ‘non-food’.

He exchanged a look with Pascal, seeing similar emotion in his friend’s gaze. They would both regret seeing the young ones leave. Kyle would miss them, he would even miss Cordy’s cheerful insults. By now he recognized them for what they were, her version of saying that she cared. He would truly miss Wesley. The long talks about demons, theology and other esoteric ideas…all gone. He would miss that look of delight in the young man's eyes and the joy that lit the blue eyes.

Pascal looked away from Rejar’s probing eyes and his mouth tightened. He had already argued that his ‘children’ weren’t ready. And he knew his protests were just lies. Despite himself he grew fond of them, especially Faith. Her seemingly laid back approach to life was strangely refreshing. And Xander…who was gonna watch Star Trek with him and explain to him why Spock did whatever the hell he did when the boy was gone? Who was gonna debate with him the mysteries of Star Wars and help him grow his comic book collection?

Rejar tossed the report on his desk and steepled his fingers. And a quiet silence settled in the room and upon it’s inhabitants. He met Kyle and Pascal’s eyes in turn, seeing a look of solemn regret in their ageless eyes. It was time for Xander and the others to go home.


Whistler eyed the silent group of people narrowly. If he didn’t know better he would think somebody had died. And a tiny smirk made it’s way to his lips as his eyes rested on Angel.

Angelus. One of the four Scourges of Europe. Sitting here. Right across from him, in fact. A remorseless killer. Sitting right at the table with him, offering him coffee…

“No, I’m good, thanks.” He put his hand over his cup and took another appreciative sip. And damn good coffee, too. Whistler watched as they all picked at their food, the vampire was barely drinking his breakfast. They all had glum expressions like their daddy just told them their puppy was dead.

Whistler looked up gratefully when Blade was announced. At least when the vampire hunter didn’t say anything, he knew the reason why.

Blade’s face barely shift from his usual stoic expression, but inward he was surprised. Usually when vampires saw him, they reacted in one of two ways: running away screaming or trying to fight. He always killed them anyway, but still he wasn’t quite used to them calmly strolling around, sipping coffee…his eyes narrowed…and reading the funnies.

He glanced at Whistler, long association having taught the older man the subtle clues in Blade's non-expression. And Whistler shrugged helplessly, he too was at a loss about these particular bunch of vampires.

The day walker’s hands flowed smoothly to his weapons when a servant quietly entered and informed them that Rejar was waiting for them in the study. He blinked slowly at the resigned looks that appeared on the others as they silently rose to their feet and filed past him.

Rejar looked up at the knock on the door. And with a quiet sigh that was almost echoed by the others, he called for them to come in. He could tell by the tightness around their eyes…they already knew it was time.

So he began without preamble. “Obviously you all know what I’ve called you here for.” He met their eyes, one by one and allowed his approval to show. He ignored the puzzled look on the daywalker and the old human. This was about his family.

“Cordy. Fierce, proud and tenacious. With your tongue alone, you would be able to defeat your enemies. Were it not for the Protector’s dictates, I would gladly Turn you and groom you as the Heir to the House of Aureli. You would have made such a beautiful dark Childe.” His voice was wistful as he gazed at her.

Cordy cleared her throat. “I don’t know whether to be grateful or run away screaming.” And tears swam in her eyes before she regained control. She leaned against Angel in sorrow.

“And now we come to you. Whistler, I do not know if you’ve heard the rumors that G’neash and Zynaesh demons will soon be invading this dimension.”

Whistler nodded uncertainly, flickering a glance at the solemn people around the room. “Well, yeah…but not too much considering that I ain’t no demon or vamp, ya know. I’ve heard about ‘em. Hell, who ain’t heard of ‘em. But that’s just all it is…rumor. Uhm…
right?”

“No, the rumors are entirely correct in this instance.” Rejar stated calmly, his eyes still and watchful of the old human male.

“Oh shit…” the old man said quietly, his blue eyes held a stunned look. Blade looked at him, uncertainty disturbing his usual stoic expression.

“Whistler? What about G’neash and Zynaesh demons that got you so upset?”

“Zynaesh and G’neash are hereditary enemies. They have a very nasty tendency to destroy everything in their path in their war against each other. How did this happen?!” The old human demanded getting creakily to his feet.

“A Watcher wished to gather the power of the Protector and instill it into his Slayer. By spreading rumors of G’neash coming, he hoped to convince all parties to go through with a summoning spell. Unfortunately, as a result, the Zynaesh got wind that their enemies were going to Sunnydale.” Wesley reported quietly. He watched as the man paced angrily back and forth.

“You?!”

“No, the Watcher of Sunnydale,” came the cool response. Both Blade and Whistler froze.

“That’s where a lot of the the vampires and demons live,” the man said shakily. “Is he a damn fool or what?”

“We kinda think so,” Cordy remarked wryly, leaning against Angel.

Whistler paused and looked at the kids. “Look, kids, I know you think you’re all bad and stuff but you need to stay the fuck away from that Sunnydale place. It’s bad news and it has a Hellmouth underneath it as well. And believe you me, it ain’t the place for you all to be…hell, I’d be worried if Blade went there.”

Blade nodded soberly, an uncharacteristic display of concern on his face. “You don’t want to go there. Like Whistler said it’s not a very good place for humans. And yeah, I know that there are some idiots that live there but they’re just food.”

Cordy and Xander started chuckling. “Yeah, that’s exactly what Spike called us. Walking McMeals. Anyway, it’s not so bad. You just hafta watch out for the occasional psyhco vampire, apocalypse and world-ending shit every now and then. Other than that, it’s just like any other small town. Except for the vampires.” Xander grinned at the shocked look that were on the two men faces.

“And demons,” Cordy chimed in.

“Don’t forget about werewolves and evil witches,” Faith added.

“And wannabe demi-gods.”

With a wicked glint in her eyes, Cordy slyly looked at Xander. “Well, clearly preying mantis lady won’t be havin' any use for you.” And laughing she ducked the mock swing Xander threw at her.

“If I find out where they took that invisible girl, I’m gonna give her your address,” he threatened her playfully.

Whistler and Blade were still looking a little shell-shocked at the revelation that these kids came from Sunnydale. “Uhm…and how long have you three lived in Sunnydale?”
The old man asked hesitantly, almost afraid of the answer.

“Well, these two bumbling idiots were born there,” Angel interjected from his position between the mock fighting taking place between Xander and Cordy. They instantly settled down, wilting a little under Rejar’s stern eyes.

“And after Kendra died, Faith showed up as the second Slayer,” Angel continued, stroking Xander’s hair. Letting him know he was just teasing the boy. And knowing his efforts were successful at the crooked smile Xander gave him.

“There’s two slayers?! When? I mean…aren’t there supposed to be only one,” Whistler stammered, looking around the room.

“Yeah, but the nitwit just had to go and save the damn bitch’s life,” Cordy interjected in disgust, slapping Xander playfully on the thigh.

“Don’t make me look for invisogirl,” Xander warned her. And laughter glittered in his eyes.

“I’m lost,” Whistler said simply, turning to look at Blade.

“Just accept the fact that there are two Slayers walking the earth,” Xander replied with a shake of his head.

Rejar stepped smoothly into the pause, regaining control of the conversation.

“Whistler, you are considered to be one of the smarter humans when it comes to using technology on vampires. We need you to build a weapon that will be able to contain a significant amount of energy. “

“Yeah, like what kind…” the old man replied. His curiosity was tickling almost unbearably at him.

“This type of power,” came a cool voice on his right. He looked and jumped away from the sight of the kid with white eyes. And there were two glowing spheres balanced on either hand. His mind was stuttering in confusion. First it's a goofy-looking kid, now he's a....a...what the fuck is he?

“In Sunnydale there is currently a situation that will more energy than I am capable of producing at one time. I can produce the energy, store it and regenerate the depleted amounts. And upon regeneration, I will grow stronger with each discharge.”

Blade stood frozen for half a second, before sweeping Whistler slightly behind his back and drawing a sword.

“What the hell are you?!” He refused to show fear before this…this…and he spared a confused glance at his friend. Hoping that the other would know what the kid was.

“I am the Protector. I am the Guardian of this dimension. A dimension that will soon be invaded by Zynaesh seeking Gn’aesh. I am extremely old and Xander has graciously allowed me to share his body. Is there anything you would like to know?” And an ironic brow subtly indicated the absolutely useless value of the sword the vampire hunter was holding.

“Blade…put the sword up now,” Whistler said tremblingly, his eyes wide in fear. “You really, REALLY don’t want to mess with it.“

Blade’s lips curled in a silent sneer at the intent look on everyone’s faces. He was aware that he was vastly outnumbered, but it wasn’t nothing he hadn’t faced before. He tightened his grip on his sword…and it was wrenched from his hand by some unseen force.

His eyes narrowed on the kid now holding his sword.

“Interesting. It is quite fascinating that you carry so many weapons while a Slayer generally relies only on stakes. Perhaps it’s time for a slight modification in the way they are trained. They are demon hunters as well...” It said, glancing at Wes. Though he paled slightly at the hint of reproof in the Protector’s voice, the young Watcher nodded in compliance.

“Excellent. We have much work that needs to be done if you all intend to join the battle for Sunnydale. Should we fail, I fear the Zynaesh will appear in force on this world.”

“It’s much worse,” Rejar interjected quietly. He indicated the report on his desk. “I took the liberty of sending a few agents to Sunnydale to also keep an eye on things. No insult to your grandchild's powers of observation, but my people are far better trained. So far there has been over 2,000 refugees arriving in this world from the other dimensions that the Zynaesh are jumping into. Buffy and her group have managed to kill a little over 90 of these individuals, mainly children and non-fighters, as a matter of fact.”

“What is making the situation even more perilous is the fact that word is reaching back to the individuals still behind. And when the arriving demons come to this world they are naturally more fearful than ever. Now whenever they jump to this world, they immediately slaughter any human they see, fearing that all humans are the same. Which is causing a rather predictable reaction in the Sunnydale Slayer.”

“I've had my people searching for other exits from this world and until they are able to locate a suitable exit, we are shifting the incoming people all over as best we can. But I fear that this is simply a stopgate measure.”

Whistler blinked, then his eyes narrowed. “How much time do I have?” He said demandingly. He ignored Blade's restraining hand.

“Old man, what the hell are you doing? These vampires are the enemy,” the dark hunter whispered harshly to his friend.

“Hey, not a vampire over here!” Faith called to the two men, waving her hand at them.

“Me either!” came Xander and Cordy's cheerful voices.

Blade coolly ignored the children save a brief cold glance that effectively shut them up.

He turned back to Whistler with the beginning stirring of anger in his dark eyes.

“Excuse us for a moment,” the old man tried to smile charmingly at the blank faces and limped away. Forcing Blade to follow him over to the far side of the room. Whistler opened his mouth...

Rejar gently cleared his throat.

Whistler looked sharply at him, then at the expectant look on all the vampires' faces he stomped out of the study and into the large entranceway.

Blade hesitated then followed after the older man.

And Whistler's eyes gleamed with a cold, ruthlessness reminiscent of Blade's more terrifying scowls.

“Listen up, kid, cause I really didn't think I would need t'tell ya this. Was kinda expectin' ya to come to see this all on yer own. But here it goes: 'SHIT HAPPENS!' Sometimes ya gotta work with whatcha have in order to survive. Now the Zynaesh is about as nasty as shit could be, and that Protector creature in the kid could pretty much kick the snot outta them with one hand tied behind it's back IF IT WAS AT FULL STRENGTH! You understand what I'm tellin' ya? Right now, it *can't * stop the Zynaesh. Not by itself. Not alone. And if you think I'm gonna let a bunch of school kids whoop my ass and do this alone...well, I guess I ain't taught you shit!” Whistler's voice was harsh as he glared into Blade's startled eyes.

And the air between the two men crackled with tension. Angry determination in one set of darkened eyes and deep-rooted fear in the other's dark eyes. Both were unwilling to give in. Both felt they were in the right, and perhaps they were each correct in their own way. But fierce pride was the downfall of kings and queens. And pride stood between them as well.

Blade knew Whistler was making a mistake. He would get himself killed for helping vampires. And his mind was racing frantically, seizing then discarding options with unnerving speed though his face remained expressionless.

How could Whistler do this? Do this to him? But when he gazed into the fierce eyes, still sharp even with the number of years the old man carried, he could see pride...and fear in Whistler's eyes. The old man was no fool and he needed to stop treating him like one. This was the man that had made him what he was...a vampire hunter.

“So...is this what you feel every time I go out hunting?” Blade instead said wryly. A tiny quirk curve his lips in a half-smile.

“Every time. Every fuckin' time.”

Blade sighed in angry resignation. “And I suppose I can't talk you out of this?”

“Nope.” Whistler was starting to grin cheerfully at the disgruntled tone of his adopted son.

“Damn. Stubborn old man,” was muttered in a disgruntled tone.

And Whistler's smile slowly faded as he looked at the grim expression settling on his young friend's face.

“There's an old saying that you better remember if you're ever in this kinda situation: 'Keep your friends close and your enemies closer'. Think about it.” With that, the old man limped quickly to the study doors and slipped back inside. Leaving a stunned vampire hunter shaken and for the first time unsure of his place in Whistler's life.

And a brief smile glittered in his dark eyes. Clever, old man, very clever. Distract me and slip away before I can stop you. He turned and glided back into the room, flashing a rare grin at his mentor. Fight, disagree, whatever they did...Whistler was as close to being necessary to him as he would allow. And Protector or not, if the old man got hurt somebody was going to pay.

Rejar studied the dark vampire hunter and imperceptibly nodded to Kyle. The child would bear close scrutiny in the future. He turned his attention back to the planning of the defense of this dimension.


And for almost two solid weeks, Whistler and the Protector worked on developing some mechanism that would be able to house a portion of the Protector's energy. Time and again the lower part of the house would rattle with the muffled sounds of their failures. But grimly, he, Xander and the Protector would resume their experiments, working long into the night. And the others would find the two men collapsed in exhausted heaps while tools and other utensils moved silently over the workbench as the Protector continued to experiment in building the storage units.

However, Blade noticed that all motion would stop the instant anyone ventured too close to the sleeping men. And a deadly watchfulness then filled the air. He had the disquieting sensation that one false move from anyone other than Xander's friends would result in immediate termination. No exception. He wasn't even allowed to retrieve or even make his friend more comfortable on the floor. He was treated as a threat.

Any other time that would have caused him secret amusement, but it was *Whistler* that he was viewed as a possible threat to...his friend. Whistler was his mentor...the closest thing to a father he had ever had and the Protector saw him as a potential menace. All he could do was watch helplessly as both Whistler and Xander trudged on. Working frantically to find a possible solution before their time ran out.


Whistler rested his tired eyes on his latest prototype. He sighed, almost in defeat before he even activated the damn thing. If he just had more time he knew he could find a way. But if the head honcho was shootin' straight, time was in real short supply on this little mission.

He gave a hopeful look at the kid and received a weary grin in return. For the kid's sake he hoped that this thingie worked. After spending almost two weeks cooped up with him and El Protecto, he figured if its' plan didn't work and stop the Zynaesh, the kid wasn't gonna survive whatever Glowy would be forced to do to permanently seal the Zynaesh from this world. Though by the way that Angel dude was always touching the kid, he suspected the vampire and Xander both understood the consequences.

That look of growing desperation in the vampire's eyes was the complete opposite in the boy's eyes: a deepening calmness as if the kid had already accepted his death and was prepared to make one hell of a big bang before he left. And a corner of Whistler's lips curled up in reluctant admiration. He snorted almost silently. The boy...all those kids had guts, he had to give them that.

Whistler refocused his attention on the tiny silver box. He sucked in a deep breath and slowly let it out. He could feel the tension radiating from the kid...this had to work or they would all be in deep shit. He inhaled once again and let the air trickle out of his lungs.

Then with nervous fingers, he pressed the release mechanism...

...and nothing happened.

“FUCK!” He slammed his fist on the table, his scowl deepening with futile rage.

Xander sighed. His eyes were almost as bloodshot as Whistler's as they regarded their last and final prototype. “You tried...” giving the old man a crooked grin. Then they both froze, staring at the small object.

*Click*

The box had a thin line bi-secting all four sides.

*Click Click*

A sliver of light glowed from the seam.

*Whirl*

The seam widened as the top portion slid upward and rotated twice. Then a piercing white light exploded from the levitating object as it lifted and spun on one corner.

Xander and Whistler screamed and began hugging each other in giddy relief. And their yells of joy brought the others running, only to add their shouts to the two dancing men.


Later that day, Rejar once again sat behind his desk. Surreptitiously, he studied Xander's exhausted face, marveling once again at the changes in the child in the three months he had been here. Despite the weariness that was visibly dragging at him, the boy's face was wreathed in a beatific smile as he leaned against Angel.

“Now that the weapon is completed, perhaps you would care to tell us exactly what you intend to do with so many? Unfortunately, I fear I shall not be able to provide you with as many warriors as you may possibly need.”

He subtly stiffened when Xander straightened and knew the Protector was in the driver's seat.

“It will not be necessary to supply any of your people for this battle. It was never my intent to draw away your valuable resources in this war.”

Kyle glanced at Pascal in confusion and leaned forward in his chair. “Then who's gonna help you fight the Zynaesh? No insult, but I hope you're not thinking of using just them,” he said, gesturing to the Sunnydalers.

“Not at all. I plan on using the Slayers,” came the calm reply. And everyone exchanged puzzled looks. But when it explained its meaning, their looks cleared to one of uneasy acceptance.


Sunnydale...First day of school

Buffy heaved a sigh as she, Willow and Oz met early in the Library with Giles. The look on her Watcher's face was extremely confusing. It was a curious mixture of fear and uneasy speculation that was causing the caterpillars in her stomach to hatch into nervous butterflies. Any time Giles got that look on his face it usually meant really bad news for her and if he started making that damn clucking sound she knew she was gonna be in some serious deep doo-doo.

This had to have been the WORST summer of her life. This even beat the summer working as 'Anne' in that greasy diner. Getting pinched, taking people’s orders, trying not to beat the hell out of her boss when he fired her.

Giles sighed and removed his glasses. Unaware that the children were leaning forward with dread in their eyes as he began polishing them. Absently he made a soft tutting sound as he recalled the devastating news he had just heard this morning...Buffy, Oz and Willow paled alarmingly. The portents had filled him with a horrible understanding at how badly he had underestimated the situation.

“I received confirmation this morning that Quentin Travers is dead,” he began abruptly. Silently he cursed himself for his hesitation and the relief he felt when he had first called Travers and the man didn't return his call. But it was only after three weeks without the older man contacting him, did he begin to feel uneasy. Another call only netted him the information that 'I'm sorry, but Mr. Travers is away on business for the next two weeks....' and some other nonsense. All said in such a chirpy voice that one couldn't help but feel nauseous at the silly chit and wonder why someone hadn't strangled her already.

However, it still took him several more weeks to finally chase down the whispers he had begun hearing from sources still at the Watcher's Council. That some great event had taken place and that Travers had been involved. Had being the operative word.

“And we are not making with the happy dance because...” Buffy asked in confusion.

“Because I fear that foul play was involved. And in addition to that information, the Shadows are walking the earth.”

Willow remained quiet, letting Giles, Buffy and Oz's words pass over her head. She was merely typing desultorily at her laptop and trying her best to simply avoid attracting their attention. Unknowingly, she was in agreement with Buffy: this had to have been the worst summer vacation she had ever had in her life. And she included the summer she wound up in the hospital with the flu and a broken leg. She grinned fondly, remembering how Jesse and...she flinched inside before she continued...how Jesse and Xander had escaped their houses and crept into the hospital just to keep her company. Rolled up in sleeping bags on the floor by her bed so she wouldn’t be alone.

Her lips twisted bitterly...so she wouldn't be alone. And she cast a look at her bickering 'friends'. Despite Buffy best efforts, she had never felt more 'alone' in her entire life. .

All summer, ever since Buffy found the mansion empty, her 'friend' had practically glued her esteemed Slayer self to her side. Apologizing for the 'misunderstanding' the day of the spell. Talking rapidly to convince her of Xander's duplicity. They had all suspected that Faith, Cordy, Wes and Xander had ganged up on Angel, staked him then ran away. And Willow suspected the only reason why Buffy was hanging with her was the Slayer thought Xander would eventually try to contact her. His best friend. Willow snorted to herself...and so did she. But as the days had turned to weeks, Willow had a terrifying suspicion that Xander wasn't going to be contacting her...not now or ever again. She had a horrible feeling that her best friend was dead or he would have found some way to get in touch with her!

~So you can betray him again?~ whispered a dark thought deep in her mind, shocking her to a loudly voiced “NO!”

Startling the others into regarding the trembling witch.

“Uh...'No' what? No as in we don't need to patrol on the first day of school, an idea that I am personally fond of or No, we need to trudge through another useless patrol?” Buffy asked with a furrowed brow.

Willow stammered in confusion, her face flushing a bright red in embarrassment, before she ducked her head. Red hair flowing, shielding her from their curious eyes. And Oz eyed his trembling girlfriend with puzzled wolfish eyes. But like Buffy, he soon dismissed the red-head from his mind.

Soon after, with Giles in the lead, they strolled and talked desultorily among themselves. They made their way through the throng of chattering, new and returning students. And Willow was silent as she trailed behind the trio. Then their eyes were caught by a cheery red sports car pulling into the parking lot. Buffy's eyes fell on the license plate, easily reading the 'Queen C' in bold letters. And her eyes flashed angrily, then she was striding purposely toward the car.

Students scattered like leaves, no one wanted to get between the returning champion known as Cordelia Chase and Buffy Summers, the would-be contender, for the throne of Sunnydale High. Both females were each deadly in their own areas of expertise, but more people were terrified of Cordy than the tiny blonde. Despite the fact they knew Buffy was freakishly strong, still the worst she could do was hurt you. And in a couple of weeks, you'll be good as new.

But Cordy, she could destroy a soul and spirit without even raising her voice or lifting a hand. By the time she was finished with you, you would gladly kill your own self.

Buffy was still moving, getting closer to the parking lot. But she came to a complete stop when two of the last people she ever thought to see, exited the car along with Cordy.

Sparing a brief glance at the flummoxed Slayer, Cordy continued her conversation with Xander and Faith.

“So anyway, I told MaryAlice that if that dress was an original Miska, I would personally kiss Beverly's imitation Italian leather shoes. 'Cos those were fake too! As old as she is, she ought to know better, ya think? I was right, of course! So, like my new boots?” She chuckled wickedly at the astonished look on Faith's face as they strutted past Buffy.

“Bitch, you did not take those from Bev?” Faith gasped in awe. Beverly Andersdoter was the coldest, snottiest vampire bitch in the House of Aureli. She was always trying to put them down. Looking down her long pointy nose at them.

“Bitch I may be, crazy I am NOT. MaryAlice made her give them to me. Hey, if I had to kiss her shoes then I most assuredly deserved something for being right,” the fashion maven looked extremely insulted. But even Xander could see the smug satisfaction radiating from the girl and he joined in the laughter of his friends.

Then his arm was grabbed in an iron grip and he was shoved into the hard brick wall. He grunted softly from the force then choked as the grip shifted from his arm to his throat. Then he was looking into the raging blue eyes of a pissed off Slayer. And the lessons that Kyle and Pascal painfully instilled in him flared to life, his leg coming up and slamming into her stomach. Staggering her back, and incidentally, forcing her to release him. Cordy stooped and helped him to his feet, keeping a cold glare directed towards Buffy. The blonde Slayer was not appreciative of his newfound martial skills.

Faith smoothly put herself between Xander and Buffy. “Got a problem, B? 'Cos if so so, maybe me and you need to find a place to have a little...talk.” There was a cold darkness gathering in the dark Slayer's eyes, something that made Buffy blink and pause. Then she heard Giles' familiar baritone and a smug smile lit her face. She'll let Giles deal with them.

Cordy and Xander stepped up to Faith's side. They waited for the seriously angry Watcher with hardly any expression on their faces other than narrowed cool eyes. No more running.

A furiously pale Librarian finally managed to push his way through the crowd of curious onlookers, trailed by Oz and a nervous, disbelieving Willow.

Giles had his mouth open for a blistering reprimand to the defiant trio when a smooth, rich voice took the wind out of his blustering sails.

“Attitude. Rich. Stylish. That could only be one Ms. Cordelia Chase. The reports about you really didn't do you justice.

Cordy preened slightly but never removed her eyes from Giles.

Giles on the other hand whirled around and saw a tall African-American man. A smoothly shaven head with skin the color of bitter chocolate was his first immediate impression. Then he took in the elegant suit the man wore with such savoir faire, it had to come with the ease of long practice. Not for him was off the rack ill-fitting suits, he just didn't look the sort. A neat well kept beard began above his lips and flowed down, framing a mouth that seemed unused to smiling. And if he did smile, one imagined it was much like the wide stretch you would see just before the shark ripped you to pieces. Very little could be seen on his eyes as they were covered by dark shades. A fact that made Giles even more uneasy, a feeling that he tried to displace by blustering at the chap.

“I say, who the devil are you?! This is school property, I'll have you know!” He demanded haughtily. Secretly glad that he was considerably taller than the fellow.

“My name is Wood. Robin Wood to be precise. But you...” and he glanced around the agog students, “You may all address me as Principal Wood. And I think that I heard First Bell ring, which means if I'm not mistaken that all good little boys and girls should be inside.” And not once was his voice raised beyond conversational level.

But there was something about how he just stood there, as if there was no doubt or hesitation that his 'suggestion' would not be followed post-haste. And to their surprise, the students found themselves hesitantly at first, then moving faster towards the safety of the school.

And Willow was caught in the rushing tide of the students surging frantically into the school. She gave Xander a wide smile of happiness when he seemed to look her way. But at his lack of return smile, she concluded that he couldn't have seen her and allowed herself to be carried along. Comforted that she would run into him again. Soon.

Then Giles was alone and facing Wood. He decide to act as if everything was perfectly normal. Which it was. Normal that is.

“Apparently I must have missed the memo informing us that there was a change in administration. Might one ask what became of the former principal, Mr. Snyder?” Giles asked delicately.

“English, huh? I suppose everyone needs a job,” Robin remarked calmly. His lips curved imperceptible upwards in a faint smile at the look of frustrated rage on the man's face. “But back to your question. You can ask all the questions you like about Mr. Snyder.” He said almost cheerfully as he walked around Giles. “But that doesn't mean you'll get an answer.” And his smile widened even more at the outraged gasp behind him. Pulling open the outer door, he felt that if the brief glimpse he got outside was any indication, Sunnydale had just gotten a whole lot more interesting.



An hour later the entire student body were restlessly squirming in their seats in the auditorium. Word had already gotten around that that ol' Snyder the Spider was out and a new sheriff was in town.

And a couple of the more bad boys, and girls, were already creating a disturbance. They were cackling, exhorting each other to louder and louder excess. Their feet were propped on the back of the seat in front of them, despite the fact it contained students that were too terrified to ask them to remove them. They were forced to sit on the edge of their seats to avoid contact with the others shoes.

They did these things because they could. Fluty never did anything to stop them other than try to talk them to death. And Snyder was a joke. Screaming at people, handing out demerits like they had some kinda magical powers. Like who gave a fuck if they had to stay after for detention?

Now they had a new principal to break in, show him how they did things...Sunnydale style. They traded evil smirks with each other.

The teachers on the stage whispered among themselves as well. Many had never met Mr. Wood, their dealing of the previous week were through the unusually closed-mouth vice principal. They sat up straight and abruptly became silent as a tall, distinguish man walked calmly across the stage.

Upon reaching the center, Robin stopped and unbuttoned his jacket and slid his hands into his pockets while studying the crowd. This was his kingdom. And a faint smirk flickered on his lips as he easily spotted a couple of troublemakers sitting up front.

“Some of you may have already heard that Mr. Snyder is no longer at Sunnydale. He has chosen to take an early retirement and I was hired as the new principal. My name is Mr. Wood, Principal Wood.”

“I'm going to let you in on a little secret about how I got this job. When your School Board first approached, I initially said 'No'. Actually I laughed rather mockingly in their faces. Because I was quite sure they would not allow me to run a school the way I envision a capable school being administered. And of course, they were hesitant due to my age but quite a few saw that as a positive sign. They apparently felt that with a young man, I would be able to adapt faster and guide Sunnydale High through it's...troubled times.”

“Once I accepted the position, I made a few requests from the Board that they graciously acceded to. They provided me with a report on every returning student attending Sunnydale High. I know about the so-called 'good kids', which are the ones I privately refer to as the ones that never got caught. And I know of the ones labeled as the bad seeds. But you see, I like to think of myself as an extremely fair man. A man that is willing to give people the benefit of the doubt.” He noticed a couple of the boys in front elbowing each other with twisted grins on their faces.

“But I also pride myself on not being a fool. I become quite...upset when I feel my generosity and fair dealings with others is being taken advantage of.” Now he allowed his cold snarklike smile to emerge.

You could hear a pin drop. The silence was so complete. There was a much bigger and badder predator in the school now.

“And in an effort to make sure the rules of this school are clearly understood, I am requiring that all students, teachers and parents sign a very simple little form. This form clearly outlines the purpose of the school, the rules and conduct of behavior expected of everyone within these walls. As well as the consequences for breaking them.”

He looked around the very uneasy auditorium. “You will be held accountable for failing to uphold your side of the bargain. My contract with you is to provide a safe haven for those wanting to learn, not a little bolt hole for budding anti-social behavior. And if I fail in my duties because of some inside or outside trouble, I tend to get a little...testy.”

And looking at the cold dangerous smile on his face, a number of children didn't want to see that either. But there was always a joker in the crowd that loved to taunt the tiger. Not realizing that the rope around the dangerous predator's neck was as fragile as a length of thread.

“So what happens if...let's suppose some kid punches another kid in the ribs? Whatcha gonna do? Give 'em demerits?! Oh I know, how about detention?!” Jason called out mockingly to Woody, as he had taken to calling the man. He casually raised a hand for his chortling cronies to slap appreciatively. He stared challenging at the older man, not intimidated by the raised brow. He was a big boy, well over 6 feet and built like a truck. Wasn't many men that scared him. And besides, he was on the football team and there was no fuckin' way Coach'll let something happen to him.

Robin sauntered down the stairs and confidently made his way to the young man. He ignored the uneasy stirring of the gathered students and faculty.

“Let me see,” he mused thoughtfully as he stared at the seated boy. “Jason Taylor, star of the Sunnydale football team. It's interesting that your name was featured quite prominently in many of the reports given to me. Perhaps you would care to join me on the stage so everyone can hear your extremely intelligent question and my response.” Robin turned and walked away, and after some hesitation, Jason followed.

Robin still had a smile, but now Jason was feeling a little wigged at the number of teeth the man was showing.

“Ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Taylor had a very interesting question that he asked of me. Go ahead, please repeat it so everyone may hear.”

Jason stiffened his back and encouraged by the smirks on his friends faces, he restated his question. Stepping back, he tossed a tiny sneer at ol' Woody.

“Thank you Mr. Taylor. I operate on the three strikes and you're out rule. Out of this school, that is. First offense, and yes Mr. Taylor you do indeed receive demerits. And depending on the severity of the violation, you will receive a certain number of points. Then you will be assigned to a special program at school. One I like to call...'Taking care of your fellow students'. This program involves quite a few things such as giving one of our esteemed lunch staff a day off with pay and taking their place; giving one of the janitorial staff a day off, again with pay, and taking on their duties.” Call him cruel but he got a kick out of seeing the kid look like he was about to faint.

“Now the second offense, and this is where it gets interesting, any school activity you are involved in will be immediately curtailed for the length of demerits you have incurred. So, let's say for example you have 10-15 demerits, though I'm sure no one will get quite that high, you will automatically be suspended from let's say football for 10-15 weeks.” And he let his smile grow at the faint squeak the boy gave.

“As for the third offense or at a pre-determined number of demerits, you will be expelled from this school. And you and you family will be at liberty to find another school to continue your education.” He looked around, a mere lift of his lips at the appalled expressions on some of the teachers and more intelligent students faces.

“However, as a consolation the system of demerits will reset itself somewhat, after 90 days from your last demerit. Meaning that a small portion of demerits will be removed from your record. And for each day that you remain trouble-free, one demerit will be subtracted. Now, any questions? No? Excellent!”

Robin had a positively cherubic smile on his face at the sick look that many students were wearing. “Of course, a slightly different rule will apply towards any faculty member that is proven to be aiding, abetting and covering up a student's misconduct. That includes turning a blind eye to a violent confrontation between students; allowing a failing student to participate in school sponsored events such as football, basketball, chess tournaments, debates, etc.”

“You...you can't do that,” Coach came out of his stunned disbelief to protest. He rose to his feet, false courage surging through him at the discrete looks of support on some of the teachers' faces. They were secretly horrified at Principal Wood's words. Children couldn't possibly learn in a setting like that. Children needed to be gently nurtured and guided. Allowed free rein to grow and flourish.

Robin whirled around with a smooth, controlled movement.

“You are absolutely correct Coach Reed!”

And the man’s angry expression settled into one of smugness. Unfortunately, Robin wasn't quite finished.

“Coach Reed, I will not be responsible for any student being expelled, nor will you or any teacher up here. I'm quite sure that Jason, here, can tell me who will be responsible.”

Jason abruptly decided that there should be a law against people showing as many teeth as Principal Wood. He wasn't stupid, he knew exactly what the principal was saying.

“Well, Jason, can you tell Coach the answer?” Robin prompt the young man. His smile widened infinitesimally.

“me.”

“I'm sorry, could you speak a little louder so those in the balcony can hear you?”

“I said me. I'll be responsible.” Jason enunciated his words loudly and clearly. Feeling absurdly relieved at the dimming of Principal Wood's smile and proud at the hearty congratulatory clap on his back.

“Thank you, you may resume your seat.” The man waited calmly as the boy scurried to his place amid the bussing of the chattering students.

“You see, the reason why I'm taking such harsh measures with this school is simple. Without going into details a major crime almost took place on school grounds. Committed by several students against another student. And I have no intention of allowing that type of behavior in MY school. If you want to act like a street thug, you can do that. I can't stop you.” Robin shrugged carelessly, then his face hardened into a deadly mask. “But you will not be acting like that...here.”

He began to smile again. “Ladies and gentlemen, faculty and students, Welcome to Sunnydale High. I sincerely hope you enjoy your stay within these hallowed walls of learning. But if not, well I'm sure you know where the door is.”

And without so much as a look behind, Robin strolled away. His first mission accomplished, now on to the next.


Cordy, Faith and Xander regarded each other with dropped jawed looks of shock. And looking around they noticed just about everyone looked like they had been sandbagged.

“Are you scared?” Xander whispered to the girls as they left the auditorium.

“D'uh!” came from the two young women and he let out a sigh of relief. “Good, I was hoping I wasn't the only one.”

“I know it's been a long time for me, but are principals supposed to act like that?” Faith asked with an uncertain look.

“I dunno, but this one sure as hell is,” Cordy said grimly but with a faint smile.


Before the day was all over, Xander and Faith were individually summoned to the Principal's office. And the young man felt like dead man walking at the sympathetic expressions his new classmates gave him.

At his tentative knock, and the muffled 'Come in' he gingerly eased into the office and took a seat.

Robin regarded the nervous young man sitting before him. Trying to reconcile his admittedly first visual impression of Alexander Harris with the many reports he had of the boy. If he believed the reports by the Sunnydale faculty, the young man was a 'Goofy, ill-dressed, troublemaking, rebellious student'. 'He was hyper, insecure and more than likely would find himself in some menial position because he lacked ambition' came from another teacher's report. And a footnote '...Alexander had an uncanny knack for choosing the wrong type of people to associate with, and somehow wherever trouble was, you were sure to find Alexander Harris, Willow Rosenburg and Buffy Summers involved'. What struck him were the number of teachers that seemed to believe that particular idea. And some had never been the boy's teacher!

But if he went with the more recent reports from a Ms. MaryAlice Tomasson and a Mr. Wyndam-Price then Alexander Harris, while not a remarkably brilliant student, did strive to apply himself. You could almost track the points where the boy struggled and finally understood certain concepts and his grades improved. So either the faculty was at fault or Mr. Harris' tutors were somehow falsifying the data. However, it they were falsifying data then it would stand to reason that Faith McDaniels' grades were also tainted. But no one would purposely put down such insane grades like that! And like the boy, you could see the struggle it took for her to make it to at least a 'D' average!

Robin directed his attention back to the young man, easily recognizing the wariness in those dark eyes obliquely watching him. Watching the room, looking for places of escape or defense. But no signs of hyperness whatsoever. Someone obviously went through a great deal of trouble training the kid in self-control as if to prepare him for some coming attack.

“Mr. Snyder had a large file on you, Mr. Harris. It was almost as large as the file he had on Buffy Summers and Willow Rosenburg.” His sharp eyes caught the betraying flinch Xander made at the mention of their names. And Robin mentally filed that tibbit of information neatly away, adding it to the other impressions he had been gathering. Because after the incident this morning, he was more than inclined to keep a careful watch on the five children involve.

“I'm sure he did,” was all Xander would say. He made sure no trace of his bitterness or hatred showed on his face. The sharp dressed man merely nodded thoughtfully at the dark emotions that flared in the boy's eyes. Obviously Xander blamed Snyder for some of what happen during the latter part of the previous school year.

“It was my understanding that you were involved in an...incident a few weeks before school ended. Is there something that I need to know or be aware of Mr. Harris? Will I need to involve myself in any way?”

Xander's eyes hardened and darkened to a near black as rage surged through him remembering the grasping hands. Touching him. Holding him down. Ripping at his clothes. Not allowing him to get away. The jeering faces, the shrill mocking laughter still rang in his ears.

“No sir,” he gritted out. Involuntarily clenching and unclenching his hands, struggling to master his rage.

Robin raised a brow at the at the rigid control the boy had on his temper. “Mr. Harris while I am sympathetic towards the incident that you claim did not happen, the rules still apply towards you. Do I make myself understood?” Despite the mildness of the words, a clear warning was in his tone.

“Like crystal, sir...” Then Xander hesitated. “Uhm, what's your policy on defending yourself?”

Robin smiled slightly. “You'll still receive demerits, however, I certainly make allowances. Although, it had better be quite obvious that only defense is being made.”

“Thank you. Uhm, may I go?” The young man asked tentatively, half-rising from his chair.

With a silent nod, he zipped out the door, just in case Principal Wood decided to call him back. But at the sight of Buffy sitting in the required horribly uncomfortable orange plastic chair, he straightened and quickly plastered his patented goofy, 'I'm just an idiot' smile on his face. Which didn't stop Buffy from getting out of her seat with a distinctly hostile look in her eyes. And he was pretty damn sure that they were about to be the first to receive demerits.

Fortunately, Principal Wood's office door opened suddenly and the soft polite “Ms. Summers, if you would care to step into my office” effectively put a little crimp in Buffy's slash and bash routine.

Xander marveled at just how much menace could be put in such simple words. He was definitely gonna add that to his bag of tricks. And he smirked nastily at the uneasiness that bloomed on the Slayer's face. Demons were easy to deal with. See 'em, kill 'em. But beating and killing humans were apparently a bad naughty no-no for poor little Buffy.

“Isn't there some place you need to be, Mr. Harris?”

And startled he jumped and began backing hastily away, babbling apologies. Though a backward look at Buffy made him grin. She had the air of a person going to their death.

Buffy was amazed at just how lost she felt to see Xander stroll happily away.

“Now then, Ms. Summers, why don't you have a seat,” came a smooth voice and she jumped, then faced Principal Wood. Feeling a certain...familiarity about him. Like, somehow, she knew him. She searched his dark unreadable eyes, the composed face---positive that she had met him. Something about him called to her.

What it was, she didn't know. But maybe Giles would know.

She hoped.



Chapter 8

Gratefully Xander and Faith walked into the mansion with sighs of relief. Home. Finally they were home. Xander made a beeline for Angel and rested his head on the broad chest with a whimper. And when cool arms came around him, he sank into the embrace with a blissful sigh, while Faith, on the other hand, threw herself face-down on the couch with a tortured groan.

Wesley, Ethan and Angel exchanged similar expressions of amusement at the boy and girl's dramatics.

“Bad day at school...?” Angel hazarded a guess, stroking his lover's back with gentle fingers.

And other than a silent sneer Spike continued watching an interesting program on tape. Something called Passions. It was a soap opera, though he didn't see any soap or fat women singing. But it was good. And he just loved that witch. Now that was a proper witch, he thought approvingly. Muckin' about with people's head, summonin' devils and imps, just being a general nuisance and pain in the arse. He was quite sure that behind the scenes were satisfying buckets of blood and screams of pain. And if not, well, he could dream, couldn't he?

Besides, he certainly didn't wanna have no more of the Protector's version of an admonishing tap. That one blow convinced him to either ignore the boy and Slayer or try to get along. At least for the time being, he smirked. He would figure something out, he mused as he carded his fingers gently through his Dru's silken hair.

“Ya know, I usta think you guys had it easy. Go to school, study a bit, come home...like how fuckin' hard could that be? No worries, no care just studyin' and hangin' with ya dawgpound. Wes, Angel I don't wanna stay in school no more. I wanna just be a plain ol' Slayer. Okay?” She lifted pleading eyes at the two men. Mainly at her Watcher, knowing if she could get him to agree, Angel would cave in.

Xander lifted his head and smirked wearily at her. “Wimp...” was all he could muster the strength to say.

“Damn right and proud of it!”

But whatever a snickering Wesley had to say was cut off by a low melodious chime echoing through the mansion. And gone were the amused people and weary teens. Someone other than their family had triggered the magical alarm Ethan had in place. It began at the start of the path leading to the home and completely enclosed the mansion completely. In the air as well as underground. They were taking no chances on being surprised. And it gave them enough time to either get the hell out or activate their defenses.

Striding to the mirror hanging on the wall, just for such an event, Wesley activated the scrying spell. Everyone's eyes narrowed at the appearance of one Buffy Summers and Rupert Giles.

“Hsst! Hsst!” Dru sat up and made growling hissing noises, her hands shaped into imaginary claws. When she decided that wasn't good enough, she shifted into her trueface and the snarls and hissing sounded much more effective. So effective that Xander's eyes turned momentarily white when Protector felt its host's fear spiking.

“Angel...” Wes said tersely, his eyes cool and remote as he waited for the vampire's reaction to his former lover.

“Spike, Dru, Ethan...upstairs! Under no circumstances do I want you to come into contact with them or let them see you. At least not yet. Faith, Xander, Wes why don't you three prepare something for our...guests.” There was a dangerous harshness in Angel's voice. A dark emotion that was echoed in his eyes and face. And Xander felt extremely sorry for what Buffy and Giles were going to be faced with. Then he shrugged and happily went to prepare the snacks.

“Anybody up for roast beef sandwiches?” He asked cheerfully as he left the room.

Dru smiled happily as her two boys hustled her up the stairs. In the dim recesses of her mind, she could see ivory and pale sunlight bending over her. Touching her with lovely hands and fingers. The twin looks of wonder in her boys' eyes always brought sparkling bits of lights dance between her legs, and the stars to glow brighter in the sky. She giggled softly, Miss Edith said that she was such a bad, wicked girl. But Molly always shouted encouraging words, telling her to 'give it another go'. She was such a naughty one.

“Horsey horsey don't you stop,” she softly began to sing. “Just let your feet go clippetty clop, the tail goes swish and the wheels go round, giddy up, we're homeward bound.”

Drusilla stopped singing and looked up at Ethan. “Miss Edith says that you like flowers...peonies. I like them too and daisies are pretty. So does Spike. But they never seem to stay alive when he give them to me. They always die.” She looked bewildered at the thought of all her flowers dying.

They had halted midway up the stairs and she stroked Spike's face fondly. Then a sudden shiver took her unawares, SHE was in the house. The nasty, bitey one. And she felt a shuddery waver in the air. “I'm so cold.”

Ethan looked down into Dru's sweetly mad gaze, the darkness within her eyes calling to him. “Shhh, my beautiful dark lady...I'll keep you warm. I'll always keep you warm.” He whispered quietly, pulling her to him and kissing her gently.

But she looked up at him with sorrow in her eyes. “But the worms, and moldering in the ground,” she wailed softly.

“I'll still be with you,” Ethan promised softly. “Can't you feel me...here?” And he gently brushed her temple with loving fingers. Smiling as she purred in content. Two for the price of one.

And Dru felt her inner world shift and settled. She smiled up into her beautiful boy's eyes and slid a sharp nail down his cheek, drawing bead of blood on his face. She reached up to Spike and together they licked it off. All three move closer to kiss but didn't, instead their attention drawn to the loud voices going on downstairs.



Buffy and Giles hurried to Angel's mansion. One eager the other feeling out of sorts with this entire situation.

“Explain to me again exactly why we are here? It may have been your first day of school, however, my workday began last week,” the Watcher snapped irritably at his Slayer. He was already in a foul mood after the little tete-a-tete with that soddin' rotter of a principal, Robin Wood. The cheeky fellow had the gall to threaten him?! As if he was some jumped up bullyboy! Why, he had half a mind to give the bloody pounce a right smack aroun' his ear! Teach him how to address his betters. He had gotten so infuriated with the audacity of the fellow that he let the Ripper out of his cage. Smugly certain the arsehole would show his colors.

But that wasn't quite the way the matter went. For in Robin's eyes he saw something swimming rapidly to the surface. With far too many teeth showing in the smooth smile Wood gave him, Giles found himself summarily dismissed from the office like some...some lackey.

And his mood certainly did not improve by Buffy's insistence that they hurry to Angel's. Babbling some nonsense that he was alive or rather back. Good riddance to bad rubbish trembled on his lips. Where that stinking rotter was concerned his Slayer was still a love-stuck fool.

“Giles...” Buffy whined, amused at the instinctive flinch he gave. It was a most fearsome power, the Mighty Whine. For that, it must be used sparingly, she intoned solemnly to herself. Barely restraining a fit of giggles.

“I know he's back. My Angel is back! Xander and Faith were no match for his superior vampiric strength. He must have escaped their fiendish plot.” Her eyes gleamed fiercely at how her poor love must have suffered from their treachery.

“Fiendish? 'Superior vampiric strength?! Good Lord, child this isn't some two-penny play or one of those dreadful comic books!” Giles exclaimed in exasperation.

Buffy shrugged carelessly. “Hey, I was on a roll!”

And without bothering to knock, Buffy opened the door and froze in astonished wonder.

Angel!

He WAS back.

With a glad shriek she flew across the room, intending to throw herself in his arms and plant kisses all over his beautiful face.

Angel moved smoothly behind the bar at Buffy's loud cry.

“Buffy. Giles. How good of you to call.” His voice was extremely mild as he poured himself a drink. His eyes unreadable at the flabbergasted look on Buffy's face and the dumbfounded one on Giles'.

“Angel...you're alive,” she stammered tearfully. Imagining the cause of his distance was because he must have thought they had left him alone to be staked by Faith and Xander. She frowned, probably that bitch Cordy was involved too.

“Actually, I'm still dead and lovin' it,” Angel replied mockingly. As he suspected his little joke went right over her blonde bubble head. How he ever thought he was in love with the silly chit still had him shaking his head in disbelief.

Giles looked sharply at Angel. Despite the easy smile, he felt something was seriously amiss with the vampire. Since when did he start making witticisms?

“Can I offer you a drink, Rupert?”

“Whiskey, neat.”

Buffy put on her most adorable pout, peeking at Angel beneath coyly lowered lashes. “You didn't offer me a drink.”

“No. I didn't,” came the cool retort that left her mentally reeling. Angel gave Giles a drink and they took their seats. “So mind telling me to what I owe this visit?”

Buffy had tears in her eyes as she haltingly explained how after the spell, they had raced back to the mansion for him. Only to find it empty. They had feared the worst, especially when Faith, Xander and Wesley disappeared.

By the time she was halfway through her tearful words of relief that he was okay, she heard something that abruptly dried her tears...

“Yo, Angel, you want dill pickles on your sandwich?” Xander asked. He gave a polite smile to Buffy and Giles as he poked his head around the corner.

But before Angel could answer, Faith was peering at him also. Both teens were grimly amused at the sputtering coming from Buffy and Giles.

“Don't listen to him. The only reason he's being so nice is 'cause he's a bottomless pit and been snacking on them, now there's only two left in the jar.” Then Faith shoved him back towards the kitchen. They could still hear the two arguing about who got the last two pickles. Then silence.

“As you can tell, neither Faith nor Xander managed to dust me,” Angel said dryly in the stunned silence.

“What the hell...” Buffy slowly got to her feet. And her face darkened with rage. She was so fuckin' gonna KILL Faith for daring to put her white-trash hands on Angel.

Then she got a bigger shock when Wes, Faith and Xander came out of the kitchen. Each with a small plate and a glass in their hands. Wes and Faith sat side-by-side on the other couch, setting their drinks and plates on the coffee table, while Xander balanced easily on the arm of Angel’s chair, giving him half of the sandwich on his plate.

Buffy's eyes flickered uneasily between Angel and Xander. Her mouth worked like a goldfish, especially when Angel, placing his drink on the end table, pulled Xander into his lap.

“God you two, you're supposed to be doing that in your bedroom. You asked me to fix the bedroom up for you and what do you do? You play the cooing lovebirds in the living room. You two make me sick! Don't you have any respect for the rest of us that ain't got a man?” Cordy exclaimed in exasperation as she stood behind Buffy and Giles.

Her eyes were flat when Buffy and Giles spun around in surprise. “Hello Bitch. Hello Useless. Angel, did I leave my leather jacket upstairs? I remember having it on yesterday when I woke you and Xander.” Oh, she was such a bad girl! She just couldn't stop rubbing the fact that Angel and Xander were sleeping together in Buffy's face. God, she just loved being an uberbitch, Cordy chortled to herself.

“Yeah, I think I hung it up in our closet,” Angel replied, his eyes gleaming with amusement at Cordy. She was such a little brat, he thought fondly of the malicious laughter in Cordy's eyes.

“Thanks...” Cordy turned and calmly left. In the stunned silence, they could hear her footsteps ascending the grand staircase.

Xander took another bite of his sandwich, watching Buffy with unreadable eyes as she slowly turned back to them. And they could all see the mounting Slayer rage in her clenching hands.

“You filthy slut...” she breathed softly. And she was visibly trembling with the need to literally rip Xander to pieces. She was barely able to think past the thick wall of fury.

While Giles was surprised and just as enraged as his Slayer, he had a niggling feeling that something wasn't quite...right about this disturbing scene. And surreptitiously he looked around the room, searching for the source of his unease. Then his eyes narrowed at the unconcerned looks on Faith and Wes' faces. In fact, there was a look of gleeful anticipation in their eyes that gave him pause. And he began thinking furiously.

“Buffy STOP!” He roared, jumping to his feet as pieces of the puzzle slotted neatly together.

“Damn...” Faith muttered and took a savage bite out of her sandwich.

“Stinkin' poofer...” Wes mumbled, eyeing Giles angrily for spoiling their fun.

Buffy whirled around with an expression of volcanic outrage on her flushed face. “GILES! Surely you're not supporting this...this...boyfriend stealing whore?”

Angel's face went flat and his eyes gleamed with a golden viciousness that was startling to Giles. The only other time he remembered seeing that look was in Angelus' eyes. And he wondered which one they were dealing with: Angel or his darker half, Angelus?

“Buffy, think for a moment?! What happened to the Protector's power? Where did it go and more importantly who has it?” Hesitation was in their eyes as they turned to Faith. She eyed them mockingly before she slowly shook her head. And puzzled their eyes turned to Wes. His lip curled in a nasty, twisted smirk. It was eerily reminiscent of somebody, Buffy felt, but he also shook his head.

“D'ya think they'll get it correct with their third guess?” Xander mused aloud to Protector.

“I find myself dubious about the intelligence of my Slayer and Watcher,” it remarked coolly pushing away from Angel and standing.

Giles swallowed hard and slowly turned around. Moaning softly at the brilliant white light that pulsed in the boy's eyes.

Buffy, on the other hand, instantly went on the defensive and attacked. Xander with white eyes equaled demon or possession. Either way she got to kill him, was her cold thought. And Giles didn't have time to stop her as she jumped at Xander with a clenched fist, backed by pure Slayer power and rage...

...and her arm was caught in a iron grip. She sneered and went to raise her other hand in another deadly blow. Surprised to find a gasping Giles at the other end, hanging on for dear life.

“Giles, can't you see I'm busy?! Hellloooo...enemy here. Slayer. Demons...ring any bells? Why are you trying to protect the demon boy wonder?”

“Actually, I believe he's trying to protect your life. Strange as it may seem, had your blow connected with my host body, I feel I would be obligated to terminate your existence, with, as Xander likes to call it, 'extreme prejudice',” was the cold response.

Buffy roughly shook Giles hand off, glaring menacingly at Xander when despite her best efforts she couldn't even budge the grip on her arm. And she was shaken, beginning to feel a bit out of her depth.

Calmly Protector released the child's arm, making it plain that it was only because IT want to.

“Yeah, you and what army? You think you're scaring me, huh?” She snorted in contempt, ignoring Giles strident protests to 'shut up'. He recognized the power residing in Xander at long last. And he cursed himself for being such a blind fool for looking for hidden meanings when the truth was in plain sight.

'Fathered' could have only meant a male and he should have instantly thought of the meaning of Xander's full name. Alex, Greek prefix meaning defender or protector and Xandros, Greek meaning of man. Alexander, Protector of Man.

Xander the Protector.

Protector arched a brow. “It is only on rare occasions that I do required an army. Ending a Slayer life is not one of them. And as to scaring you, it is not my intent to do so. However, should you raise a hand to Xander again, I will destroy you.”

“Buffy SHUT UP!” Giles finally managed to overshout the angry blonde.

“C'mon Buff, you gonna listen to that?” Cordy smirked from her casual position as she leaned in the arching hall entrance. She pushed off and sauntered elegantly into the room. “You gonna let them punk you like that?” And Faith marveled at her friend’s wickedness.

“Cordelia, please desist in your efforts to force me to terminate this Slayer's existence,” sighed the energy creature. “Angel, Wes you are not helping matters by laughing at her antics.” And on any other, its' expression would be classified as peevish. But since it was the Protector it wasn't. Peevish that is.

“Buffy, I want you to listen to me very carefully. Leave Xander alone. As a matter of fact, don't even think about him. Xander is the Protector and the Protector is Xander. And should you hurt it, meaning Xander, it has enough power at its disposal to incinerate the Northern Hemisphere. So imagine what it could do to one small girl.” The Watcher's voice was grim when he spoke to his Slayer.

“Not quite Northern Hemisphere, I'm afraid at this point,” the Protector gave a slight deprecating cough. “North America, perhaps. I'm not quite up to my full strength. Once I've reached the peak of my powers, THEN I'll be able to reduce this world to ashes,” it said in tones of supreme satisfaction. But at the horrified looks the others gave it, the Protector hastened to assure them that it had no intention of doing so. Yet.

“In addition you are quite incorrect in your surmise that Xander and I are one. We are not. Currently we maintain our separate existence and consciousness. However, eventually I will merge into Xander and there will be only Xander the Protector.”

Buffy blinked, her senses screaming 'Danger! Danger, Will Robinson!' at her from this...Xanderthing. “But is it a demon?”

“No, I am NOT. What I am is the originator of the Slayer line. It was my power that took a simple human girlchild and endowed her with the unique strength and abilities to hunt rogue demons. And what was given, can be removed. Quite easily.” Its voice was wintery as it spoke.

And the blonde Slayer, despite her wanting to deny the words, felt its power echo in her bones. Resonate in her soul. Her Slayer power stirred like a guard dog sitting alertly in the presence of it's master. Waiting for the signal to return.

“Giles...” was said through gritted teeth, “We need to leave NOW!” This was far from over. She would have her Angel back no matter what. She still had her claddaugh ring and what did Xander have? Nothing but a dick up his ass. There had to be a way to get Angel from under whatever spell the Protector cast over him. Probably as a reward to Xander for using his body. She wanted to tell Angel not to worry, that she and Giles would figure out a way to set him free. But that would only clue them in, so instead she gifted him with a tremulous smile before departing with her Watcher.

After the two had left, Spike sauntered down the stairs where he had been crouching, listening to every word. “She's daft, ya kno'. Almost as wonkers as our Dru.”

“She's not crazy...she's just...focused. Really, REALLY focused,” Xander protested weakly, allowing himself to be pulled back down into Angel's lap.

“Daft.” Spike repeated flatly. After all, who better than he to know when someone was loony?

Dru and Ethan drifted down the stairs, then the mad vampiress drifted over to Xander and Angel, settling easily on the arm of their chair.

“Kill them, and then we shall have a nice party, with ballons, cake and ice cream,” she said looking wistful.

“And streamers and song,” Ethan added, his face just as wistful as hers.

There was a few moments of silence in the room before Faith broke it..

“She's not going to give up, ya know,” she remarked quietly. “Give up on getting Angel back, I mean. Because Xander's right, she is focused. With all that focus directed towards getting Angel back. And if she can't have him...” she left the rest unsaid.


And later that night, laying beside the cool body of his mate Xander reflected on the dark Slayer's words. His thoughts were going around and around in increasingly frantic circles.

“Stop your fretting,” Angel said mildly, pulling the boy firmly atop him. At the drooping lips, his smile widened encouragingly. “C'mon baby, do you think she'll be able to take me away from you? Especially with you so ably protecting me. I trust you and love you with all my soul.” His words were quietly adamant in the soft darkness of their bedroom. Sighing in relief when his beloved's lips turned upwards in a shy smile.

“So, you trust me that much, huh?”

“Yep,” the vampire responded, pulling his warm eager lover down to his waiting lips. Drinking deeply from the honeyed warmth within. Their lips pressing, parting and releasing with soft sighs of rising pleasure.

Angel groaned at the naked heat squirming erotically on him. And smoothing his hand down the flexing back, he palmed warm globes of hot flesh in his hands. He slid his fingers between the sweaty cheeks to brush teasingly at the spasming entrance, tickling the wanton pucker to an even more needy state. Chuckling hoarsely at the eager whimper from his lovely boy.

“Can I...” Xander began then broke off, wondering what insane part of him actually thought Angel would welcome his request.

“Can you what...?” Angel prompted with an encouraging smile, peering questioningly up at his hesitant lover.

“Can I take you?” Came the tentative request as if Xander thought the vampire would grow enraged at his bold request.

And Angel's smile broadened to an eager, happy leer. “Baby boy, I've been waiting for those words for a long time.”

Xander grinned slightly, then dived onto the smorgasbord that was Angel. Feeling an enormous rush at being the one in charge. With every kiss he lay upon the straining pale torso, the more reaction he got from his vampire lover. Every action caused an equal and opposite reaction, he thought proudly. Briefly recalling just how long it took Wes to pound that fact into his head.

He had a field day, playing with Angel's body. Though he was half-way certain that the other would take control back from him, flip him over before fucking his brains out. Not that there was anything wrong with THAT idea. But to his delighted surprise Angel allowed him to do whatever he pleased, only hoarse gasping praise coming from the tensed figure.

With confidence, Xander traveled downward to the rigid, dripping organ. He had no doubts as to the capability of making his vampire cum by sucking him off but he wanted...more. To feel the sensation of being inside Angel for once. And lowering his head he began to feast on the towering staff. Using only his tongue, Xander bathed Angel from the top of the drooling shaft and down to the base several times before sucking on the large sacs below while trailing an inquisitive finger to the spasming entrance, employing methods that Angel used to drive him absolutely wild with need. He was pleased that this also worked wonderfully on his vampire. And encouraged by the yelp from above, he began teasing more of his finger into the cool spasming entrance, though he was a little startled by the anxious bucking until he realized Angel wanted the entire length of his finger.

And with a wild grin on his face Xander figured it was his turn to drive Angel insane. To his remarkable surprise, he had his big strong vampire babbling nonsense by the first 5 minutes and begging within the next 15 minutes.

Life could be so amazing sometimes, he thought with lustful pride before granting Angel his wish.



Waking up Angel fondly regarded the tousled head resting on his chest, a wide smile growing on his lips. His boy was an animal when he was in the driver's seat. And when his baby slid inside him last night, well it was worth the wait.

Slapping his butt, slamming into him with powerful strokes, Xander put an exclusive claim on him and his ass with the first plunge into him.

Thank God for vampiric healing, was Angel's fleeting thought. And wincing, he limped-walked into the bathroom to take a long, healing hot shower. Coming out of the bathroom with a towel wrapped around his hips, he was treated to the alluring sight of a very naked, very hard, very horny boy playing with a rapidly stiffening shaft.

And luminous brown eyes met his with intense erotic sensuality.

How does he do it? Angel wondered in amazement. One look from those big, doe eyes of his and I get harder than a steel pipe.

“It's almost breakfast time,” he began huskily. “So what do you want to eat?” He asked, already knowing the answer when Xander's eyes fastened on his slowly tenting towel with rapt attention. And he groaned, backing away to rest his hips against the table when the boy crawled off the bed with sleek feline grace. Unwavering eyes focused on the terry cloth covered 'breakfast sausage'.

And all Angel could do was spread his legs wider as the dark head ducked under the towel and warm lips nuzzled hungrily at his balls. Then came the soft wet tongue, lapping delicately at them before hot lips and an even hotter mouth wrapped around his cock. Swiftly the already hard, proud organ stiffened even further. Glistening in the light when Angel removed the towel the better to see Xander practice his magical skills of making his dick vanish and reappear between the warm lush lips encircling his shaft.

Finally he couldn't take it any longer and pulled the protesting boy from his morning breakfast. He backed away and sat down in a chair simultaneously preparing Xander before dragging him down onto his towering member with a sigh of bliss. And he set up a steady vigorous rhythm, pressing his forehead into Xander's back and groaning at the tight heat of his precious, loving the short gasping cries of pleasure he pulled from Xander with every heavy thrust. But still it wasn't enough. Not nearly enough.

Clasping Xander under his knees, Angel rose to his feet, eliciting a startled yelp from Xander who fell back against the pale broad chest at the abrupt move. And quick steps brought them to the bed, where he carefully deposited his beautiful lover on hands and knees. Then carefully, with gritted teeth, Angel slowly drew his hips back until just the flared head rested within Xander.

“Ready...?” He asked his beautiful mate hoarsely, trembling with the need to simply ram recklessly into the grasping sheath.

For an answer, Xander merely lowered his upper body to the bed, resting his head on folded arms.

And Angel slammed home, drawing a deep, ecstatic shout from the writhing young man. He held tightly onto the undulating hips, he was too close to letting go, and Xander's ass was too enticingly hot and tight not to give in to seductive warmth that was squeezing him with almost painful pressure. And the way his boy was wiggling and squirming, moaning and trying to pull him even deeper...all he wanted to do was wash Xander in a gallon of cream. Rub the thick rich froth deep into the writhing body until his lover reeked of him. He pulled back and forcefully plunged back into the moist, sheath. Again and again, pulling Xander up, thrusting deeper, harder into the wanton core. Verging on the edge of being out of control in his need to leave his mark on Xander.

Lunging one last time, Angel felt Xander cum with a hoarse shout and let out a primitive cry of his own as the tight passage milked thick, frothy juice from him. And he pumped his hips convulsively, a torrent of cool semen flooding deep into Xander's core. Then they collapsed boneless onto the bed, still joined and riding out the aftershocks of their climax.

“Okay, no more early-morning lovemaking,” Xander puffed out weakly. “Especially since I'm the one that hafta go to school.” But he made no efforts to dislodge his welcome intruder.

Angel grinned tiredly as he made a move to lever off of his lover and Xander clamped around him firmly. He pressed a soothing, promissory kiss on the boy's sweaty neck before smacking a glistening buttcheek with his hand and pulling away as quickly as possible when Xander yelped in pain.

“Hey! I think I can get you on grounds of spousal abuse. If that didn't turn me on,” Xander rolled over with a lascivious smirk, his cock already stirring proudly.

“You are such a little horny pervert,” Angel laughed when Xander wiggled his hips, making the lengthening cock dance.

The young man pushed himself off the bed and latched onto his lover with a lewd smile. “Yeah, and you love every minute of it doncha?!” With a quick kiss, Xander bounced happily away to the bathroom for his turn in the shower. Experience had already taught them that both of them couldn't occupy the shower at the same time. Especially not if one of them had someplace to be in a few hours.

Angel smiled fondly after his mate before stripping the bed. At the rate they were going, he definitely was going to have to stock up on more sheets.



With a sigh of relief, Friday finally arrived. And by mid-morning Willow was nervously biting her lips as she waited anxiously for Xander to show. She tried earnestly to convince herself that nothing had changed between them. They both had made mistakes, but it wasn't nothing they couldn't get past. But with each passing day, with every second, her feeling of total despondency was starting to grow.

Then her feelings lifted at the sight of him heading her way, and she smiled gladly. Though her smile tightened slightly at the appearance of Cordy and Faith talking animatedly with him. But she forgave him. He obviously needed friends wherever he had went over the summer. But now she was here, and things would be okay between them, so they could get the hell away from him.

And she wasn't talking to him just because Buffy and Oz gave her the okay. She was going to do it anyway. She smirked guiltily, she wasn't even going to ask him the questions Buffy told her to ask. This was about her and Xander. This was because she missed him. Missed seeing that funny, crooked smile he always gave her.

Her eyes lit up and she waved her arm vigorously to attract his attention, her smile broadening into a wide smile of happiness when he detoured and headed for her.

“Xander...I've been trying to talk to you for the last two days,” she called breathlessly to him as they got closer.

“I just wanted to tell you just how awful I feel about how things happened. And...and I know how...confusing things must have been or...or...seemed to you,” she couldn't stop babbling, so relieved that Xander was actually listening.

“And I just hope...” her words died as Xander and Faith stepped left around her while Cordy stepped right. Reforming, the trio continued strolling to class.

“Xander!” Willow whirled around in disbelief, hardly able to believe that he had just froze her out. But there was no hesitation in his steps as Faith twisted and said something that made all three laugh heartily. And she stared after them.

Watched them play fight and have fun. Her heart twisted.

Saw Xander put his arms around the two girls' shoulders. Her shoulders felt the cold.

Watching them wrap their arms around his waist and hug him tight. Her arms felt empty.

'Xander...” she whispered, her eyes wide in searing pain.

And the bell rang, leaving the young witch standing in a rapidly emptying hallway.

“So, he ain't talking to you either, huh?” Buffy stated thoughtfully as she and Oz silently appeared at Willow's side.

At the continuing silence from the young witch she glanced incuriously at Willow. But at the sight of the trembling lips and tearful eyes, Buffy sneered and rolled her eyes. Why in God's name did she hafta pretend to be this little crybaby’s friend? But noooo, Giles kept insisting that Willow was still useful.

It was driving her nuts that every time she turned around, there was ole Weeping Willow. All big eyes and quivering lips. Always on the verge of boo-hooing about her precious Xander.

“Let's get to class before we get into trouble,” Buffy ordered tersely as she turned away.

“Willow!”

The young girl jumped at the impatient snap of her name. She met the cold exasperation in Buffy's eyes and the bored, disinterested look in the blonde's eyes hammered the final nail in her coffin as to just how she was viewed by Buffy.

And vulnerable wet green eyes swung helplessly to her laconic boyfriend's face, seeing the same lack of care and concern in her feelings as Buffy's. Finally coming to realize just what she had sacrificed by siding with this ruthless group of betrayers. And despite the emotional storm in her soul, her mouth twisted bitterly. She should feel real welcomed with them, afterall, she was in good company. And with screaming, flinching denial in her heart she accompanied Buffy and Oz to their next class. Too scared to stay with them, but terrified of what Buffy and the others would do to her if she tried to leave.


Xander smiled gratefully at the sight of Cordy and Faith in gym class. But then frowned at the appearance of Oz and Buffy. Especially with those cold looks on their faces.

Trouble...thy name is Buffy and Oz.

Oh yeah, I can already see this is NOT gonna be my favorite class, he thought dryly. Then he pretended to clutch at his heart in pain and stagger backwards, smirking at the dark flush that crossed Buffy's face.

Then his eyes darkened to near black when Buffy, with seemingly casualness, strolled to Taylor Neismith, one of the school star running backs. His eyes narrowed when Buffy whispered in Neismith's ear.

“Wonder what game Bitchy's playing now,” Cordy remarked as she sauntered up to Xander's side.

Faith, just trotting up to them, heard her. “Dunno, but check out the look on their mugs.” And they observed the nasty smirks that Buffy and Taylor threw at them. Actually, they realized, threw at Xander.

And a flash of insight had Cordy inhaling sharply. A guess confirmed when she saw how Xander was faintly trembling as well as the clenching and unclenching of his hands.

When Faith opened her mouth, Cordy flashed her a silent warning look to say nothing. Then the Coaches appeared, blowing their whistles and explaining that basketball was going to start this year, ending with softball.

Quickly the class was organized into various opposing teams. Fortunately for Xander, he, Cordy and Faith got to be on the same team along with five others. But unfortunately, they found their opponents Buffy, Oz and Taylor along with two of running back's, as well as three others.

Faith and Cordy eyed the team with a definite feeling of misgiving. And Cordy was sure that you didn't have to be a psychic to see that this was gonna be a problem.

Their team had the ball, with Xander dribbling down the court to their basket. Dodging, weaving, he was on a roll when Taylor deliberately clotheslined him.

And the two girls were instantly on the quarterback, screaming and yelling, which quickly became shoving and a hitting match as they tried to protect their gasping friend from further attacks. It was with disbelief that they heard the Coach call it an 'accident'. And it was only Xander's hand on their arms that stopped them from showing the teacher what a true 'accident' looked like.

But they were glad they didn't when Cordy spotted Principal Wood lurking in the doorway. An unreadable expression was on his face as he observed the bustling gym class.

“All right, I got a plan,” Cordy whispered to their team when they went into a huddle.

And once again Xander had the ball, but this time, Buffy and Oz decided to join the festivities and began closing in on him. But they had to contend with both Faith and Cordy, while Taylor's cronies dealt with Xander's other teammates.

The Protector calculated the trajectory necessary as they headed towards their goal. Then it seized the moment and the entire class seemed to pause as Xander bounced the ball *almost* between Taylor's legs as he whirled around the bigger young man. The ball hit a slightly raised floorboard and bounced upward with a sickening smack in the athlete's chin and nose.

The force of the ball broke Taylor's nose and knocked him to the ground. The ball ricocheted backwards into Cordy's surprised hands. And she swung around, 'accidentally' slamming her elbow in Oz's nose as he was standing way too close. She shot the ball to Faith amid exclamations of false apologies to the furious bloody werewolf as the dark hair Slayer tried to dodge around Buffy, and 'accidentally' slammed the ball into the blonde's chin, knocking the girl to the ground, before shooting the ball back to Xander. Who neatly sank the ball into the basket.

Score!

Xander calmly jogged back, dribbling the ball amid the Coach's furious whistle blowing. Cool satisfaction was safety banked in his eyes at the sight of one of his former tormentors with blood all over his face.

“HARRIS! If that boy's not fully recovered by today, I'm gonna have your ass kicked outta this school so hard you'll have my treadmark on your behind!” The Coach roared, his face red with rage. Then he rounded on the sweetly 'apologetic' Cordy and Faith.

“And don't think I don't know what you two did either! I don't give a damn how much money your daddy has! You're outta here too!”

“And why would Mr. Harris be expelled for playing a simple game of basketball? While unfortunate, I fail to see why this accident is considered cause for expulsion,” Robin's voice was frostily polite and smooth as silk as he stepped between the chattering students. He coolly surveyed Taylor Neismith being helped to his feet with a dispassionate look in his eyes. Though he did wince at the swollen lips and twisted nose.

“What do you mean?! That was a deliberate act of aggressive foul!” The P.E. teacher blustered, rounding on Wood. Then he stormed up to the slighter built man and breathed harshly into the calm dark face. Trying to intimidate the other with his much larger build.

“Back. Off. NOW...” Robin said softly, but there was a darkening glitter in his eyes that had the other man moving hastily away.

“Now, how is what Mr. Harris did any different than what the other young man did? Mind you, I am a veteran of many years of street pickups but I have never seen anyone clothesline in a game without the entire game degenerating into a brawl. However, it appeared to me that this team ignored the provocation and chose to continue the game. With an unfortunate side effect.”

“But...but...” the man sputtered, his eyes wild and desperate. The students were absolutely silent, not one of them wanted to miss a thing.

“However, if you do feel that Mr. Harris' actions were out of line, then in the interest of fairness that perhaps since he was also injured and could have potentially suffered a broken neck or throat, that perhaps Mr. Neismith's actions went beyond the borders of being considered a foul and should be classified as an unprovoked attack. While Mr. Harris' move was perfectly legitimate, as was Ms. Chase and Ms. McDaniels, I truly cannot say the same for Mr. Neismith's apparent guarding defense.”

The room was eerily quiet as the students waited to hear what the Coach said. They weren't exactly stupid, they knew precisely what Principal Wood was saying. And doing. For far too long, members of any sports teams had the liberty to do whatever they wanted while Coach turned a blind eye to everything. Or when called into question, excusing it as youthful high spirits.

But it seem like Principal Wood was telling Coach that things were different and playing favorite just wasn't going to be tolerated any longer. And they regarded Robin Wood with worshipful eyes.

The gym teacher opened his mouth then slowly closed it, temporarily defeated. Quietly agreeing that this was simply an unfortunate 'accident'. Whirling around at the angry protest from Taylor to give the boy his fiercest, coldest glare. They would deal with Harris...later.

Robin turned to go, then turned back, stepping closer to the fuming man. “Oh, and Coach? If Mr. Harris should experience any...repercussions from this unfortunate incident, I may feel it necessary to bring this matter to the school board. Perhaps suggest another coach that is more capable of controlling his players.” He stated quietly, lowering his voice for only the other man to hear. Smiling slightly at the bitter tightlip nod the other man gave him. Then he left after gazing at Faith and Buffy with a thoughtful look.

A look they returned with interest. For the first time in unspoken agreement. Somehow, somewhere, they recognized him. But where? And they exchanged puzzled looks with each other.

Xander's eyes flashed white as the Protector peered after the young principal, recognizing a most unusual anomaly. With an unhappy look to Faith, Xander agreed to remain silent on what the Protector told him. Under the firm promise that this would NOT cause her any harm. A fact that the energy source was quick to assure him that it would not in any way hurt the dark-haired Slayer.


They finished the day without further incident, other than a cold stony silence in the boy's locker room. But a number of young men were also tired of some of the sports' elite trying to rule over them and they made their firm support of Xander plainly clear by virtually surrounding him in a wall of flesh. And several of the jocks sneered but did not venture too close. They weren't fools. Especially considering a quick head count showed there were a lot less of them than Xander's motley crew of wanna-be body guards.

But they could wait. Harris wouldn't have them around forever.

Xander looked around at the standoff and carefully eased from his semi-circle of guardians with an apologetic grin and murmurs of 'Excuse me' 'Sorry 'bout that' until he finally extracted himself from them with a sigh of relief. No use getting them hurt.

Escaping out the doors, he hurried away hoping that with him gone the hostilities would ease or better yet, disappear. Much like magic. Abracadabra, POOF! Bad times vanish! And he grinned wryly, he felt like Captain Kirk trying to avoid a war between Klingons and Romulans. Though truth be told, in a knockdown drag-out fight, his money would be on the Romulans. They were a sneaky bunch of bastards. Sneaky and conniving beat out muscles anytime. Catching sight of Faith and Cordy, he hurried to catch them.

“Quick question, Romulans versus Klingons? Who'd win?”

The two girls rolled their eyes before walking away. They were well used to his flights of fancies.

“Cmon, it's a serious question,” he called after them and they stopped with a sigh. Xander would badger them until he had an answer.

“Romulans...” was Faith's response.

“Klingons...” came Cordy's surprising answer.

Faith and Xander's jaws dropped. The dark-haired cheerleader glanced at them in surprise.

“Why are you looking at me like that? I just think that while they're strong and aggressive, they are very smart. It's an image thing. People don't look further than the growling and snarling to see that while they're laughing and pointing at them, the Klingons' have already slipped past them.”

Fortunately, the bell rang before more disturbing thoughts troubled Faith and Xander's worldview of Cordy.


Later that evening, and after a two hour sparring session with Spike, Angel and Wes, Faith and Xander decided to stroll to the Bronze without their 'Guardians Against Fun' as they liked to call the two over protective men. She and Xander frequently got into arguing over which man, Angel or Wes, were more against them having a good time. Spike, they already knew, they could count on for a good time. Preferably a bloody good time. A red, ripping off your head good time.

As they walked along to the Bronze, both teens were equally aware of something settling over the town.

“Can you feel it?” Xander asked Faith quietly. It was only six o'clock and already several shops were closing at least three hours early.

Faith watched a woman hustle her children to a car. Scurrying would be more accurate, she decided. Sharp Slayer eyes easily saw lines of uneasiness scoring the woman's face. Looking around, she saw others still on the street hurrying away.

“Yeah...looks like the people of Whoosville ain't as unbelieving as they used to be,” she replied equally softly. “How much longer do you think it'll be before they get here?” She looked up at her taller companion as she spoke.

“A couple more days,” the Protector said calmly as it came to the foreground. It glanced down at her with white eyes. “However, you will not be taking part in the battle.”

“What?! I'm a fuckin' Slayer! It's my goddamn job to fight demons.” She stopped abruptly, looking at it with a sense of shock.

“True. But you will not survive this fight, especially not with these particular demons. You would only lose. And most horribly, at that. There is no dishonor to be felt in not being a party to the coming battle. Your talents will coming in handy, along with Buffy, in handling any of the demons that escape us.”

Faith ground her teeth jealously. Hurtful pain stirred in her heart at the feeling of again being second-best to the golden girl. “After everything I've done for you and Xander, apparently I'm still not good enough for you.” Bitter anger was in her dark eyes when she glared up at the Protector.

It blinked as it regarded the young furious Slayer. “You mistake my words. It is not a matter of being good enough for me, it is a matter of being good enough to protect your friends from the demons. If one manages to escape, while it will be hurt it still will be strong enough to kill either Cordy, Wes, or Ethan. Or perhaps it will escape the world and begin slaughtering the rest of humanity. Thousands of children just like that one over there,” it said, gesturing to a small brightly dressed little girl, “will die.”

“While undoubtedly your friends can handle themselves, they will still need Slayer power to aid them.”

“But you need me. You said you would need all the Slayers you can get out on the field,” Faith argued back passionately, feeling a small thrill go through her. She wasn't second best to Buffy. Not anymore.

“True...but the only way you will have even a remote chance to fight against the Zynaesh will be for me to imbue you with my power. Much more than you have now.” It's words were cool and calm as they resumed the trek to the Bronze.

“Then do it!”

“That amount of power will exhaust your body before the fight is over. The more you fight, the faster you will spend the energy. You will burn like a star before you are devoured. Do not be so hasty to throw away your life, child. You have only one life. Live and love to the fullest.”

Faith snorted, her morose mood returning. “What life? Slayers are bred to live very short lives. Besides, there's always St. Buffy on the job and you sure as hell don't need two of us hangin' in good ole Sunnydale.”

The Protector locked Xander's throat muscles before the boy had a chance to shout out the truth.

~“It is unnecessary for her to know that,”~ it said coolly watching as the boy paced angrily back and forth. They were in an elegant, old-world library. A fire crackled merrily in the hearth while overstuffed, cozy armchairs were placed at an angle in front of the fireplace. A small child was coloring industriously in front of the fireplace, his tongue sticking out as he concentrated on getting the cartoon soldier's military fatigues just the right shade of green. The little boy was wearing miniature army fatigues of his own.

~“But you're lying to her,”~ Xander argued. He ran his fingers through his hair distractedly. ~“We're lying to her!”~

~“Not true. I have not spoken one word of untruth. Neither to her, nor to you,”~ it pointed out dispassionately. It was a glowing nimbus figure that sat in the easy chair, watching its' young host’s restless movements. The Protector also kept a careful eye on the little boy, reaching out with it's power to draw the child back when it seemed the boy was getting too close to the fire.

~“But we're avoiding telling her the truth. That's as good as lying. You're going to use her then toss her to the side,”~ the young man whispered stridently. Trying not to attract the attention of the little boy. He came to an abrupt halt and glared hatefully at the Protector. And ignored, for the moment, the hyena puppy that was trying to get his attention.

~“You know as well as I do, that there can be only ONE Slayer at a time. Two Slayers are upsetting the natural balance and agreements that I managed to wring from the two Powers. Buffy and Faith are the reason WHY the Zynaesh are able to breech the barriers between the two dimensions. There can be only one. For this, I am sorry.”~

~“So you're gonna pick Buffy, huh? Despite everything she's done to me.”~ And Xander's mouth had a bitter twist of disgust.

~“She's not even a real Slayer or at least not what this world needs a Slayer to be. She's selfish, immature and all she cares about is herself. She's the only one that's allowed to have an opinion or decision about demons. Which ones to trust, which one to kill. And if it wasn't for you, she would have beaten the hell outta me because she wants Angel. She doesn't listen to anybody else but herself.”~ Xander pleaded to the unresponsive Protector.

~“As it is supposed to be. A Slayer responds to her Watcher. But in the end, it is she that must stand alone.”~ The Protector stated unemotionally.

Xander dropped heavily into the chair and gazed into the fire with a sad, angry expression. Absently he fondled the wiry hair of the hyena pup worrying at his ankles. Then picking her up, he hid his tears in the wiggling puppy's fur before he spoke again.

Faith was gonna hate him forever.

~“Will you tell her? I mean, before you do it? Explain why you hafta do it this way. Make her understand that she's NOT second-best. That being a Slayer is a punishment for Buffy for being such a bitch?”~

The Protector studied the downbent head thoughtfully. ~ “And what if the decision goes the other way? That Faith is chosen instead of Buffy? Shall it still be considered a punishment? Or shall it be considered an honor?”~

Xander's head jerked up, his eyes hopeful. ~ “You mean it's not set in stone that Buffy's gonna be the only Slayer?”~

~“Certainly not!”~ The glowing figure stated testily. ~“Both females have disreputable qualities for a Slayer. In any event, the decision can go either way. And be that as it may, I cannot allow you to interfere with the decision making process. If you warn Faith, then she may feign an attitude change in order to become the sole Slayer.~ It bent a stern gaze on its youthful host and reluctantly Xander agreed.

They turned their attention to the little boy as he stumbled to his feet. “Xander! Xander! Lookit what I drew!”

And Xander pulled the small boy into his lap, balancing him with the ease of practice despite the wiggling puppy. “Oooh, nice...” he exclaimed in admiring tones. He studied the calm, resolute expression on the cartoon soldier's face and blinked, realizing the image was of him.

“It's for you,” the boy said solemnly. Great, big white eyes gazed up at his grown up counterpart.

“For me?” The young man asked quietly, pulling the boy closer.

“Yeah, so you remember me 'n' Nena when we're gone,” the tiny soldier stated quietly.

Xander hugged both Soldier and Hyena to him, his throat thick with tears as he tried to smile. “As long as I live, I'll never forget you two.”

“Good...” the boy said. Then a huge yawn split his face. “Getting sleepy 'gain,” he murmured, his head drooping.

“Then sleep...” Xander said even softer, stroking a shaking hand across the buzz cut the boy wore. Carefully cradling the two children, the hyena and boy, he came to his feet. Then with reverent gentleness, he placed the two into the Protector's waiting arms.

“Xander, they will be fine. You know both the Soldier and Hyena agreed to this merger of their selves. And this was the best way. You agreed and they agreed, seeing the wisdom in this arrangement.”

“I know...it's just that'll I'll miss them. They were the ones that kept me going when I wanted to give up.” Xander smiled shakily.

The Protector shook it's head. “No, they didn't. The strength has always been within you, you simply didn't trust yourself.” And it faded out, taking the children with it.

“...leaving Buffy to take care of ole Sunnydale and I'll take the rest of the world.” Faith grinned. “That way, you know, I can be like a traveling Slayer. Demon over there, beware! The Slayer's comin' ta get cha!” But she couldn't help a niggling feeling of wanting to stay in Sunnydale forever. This was the longest she had ever had a place where she felt at home. She sighed, oh well, if she was lucky, her and Wes would find another place where they felt welcomed. Then she frowned...maybe Wes would rather stay with Spike instead of her? Would she hafta get a new Watcher? Ewwww!

“Uh huh...” Xander said quietly. Squirming with the need to blurt out to her that she needed to start acting like a real, proper Slayer. Whatever that was. He had no doubts that the Protector would follow through on that crazy-ass idea. Faith not a good Slayer?! He snorted, like Buffy was any better!

They finally made it to the Bronze and entering it they looked for Cordy. Spotting the largest crowd of males, they forced their way through the crowd until they reached the expertly made up fashion diva.

And both Xander and Faith's jaws dropped at the outfit the girl was wearing. Or not wearing. “Damn girl! Ya daddy let cha out looking like that?!” Faith exclaimed with wide eyes. Cordy smiled and gave a slow, hip wiggling turn. Modeling her black, spandex micro mini-skirt. It was topped by a sheer black middi-top with two opaque black circles for modesty sake. In her bared stomach, a dark red jewel rested in her bellybutton.

“Damn yourself, I bet Wes ain't seen that little number you're wearing,” Cordy teased back. Gesturing to Faith's blood-red suede pants and matching fringed top. The dark haired Slayer merely grinned wickedly in response before eyeing the dance floor.

“Hey, a girl gotta blow off steam, ya know? Need to make sure my 'good' parts are in working order...hey ya never know,” Faith yelled over her shoulder as she shimmied onto the dance floor. Hips shaking, hair tossing every which way, she soon had half the males attention riveted on her. Cordy watched the girl's frenzied movements with amused disdain.

And hidden among the throng was a tiny blonde watching Faith's admiring crowd of worshipping boys with a set stony expression. Clutched possessively in a steadily tightening grip a cup of diet cola and the other hand was firmly gripping the thick forearm of her current boyfriend. She was hoping Angel would show up and see her with David, and get all jealous. Hell, it worked last time when she did the bump 'n' grind with Xander, didn't it?! Oh, that had certainly pissed Angel off. She was praying that it was enough to bring him to his senses before it was too late and she couldn't forgive him. Because she had no doubt that whatever he was doing with Xander was simply to make her jealous or to get even with her for suggesting that he fuck Xander.

She seethed with barely hidden fury watching Faith’s sluttish dancing. Look at those stupid dumb fucks buzzing around that whore!

And Oz smiled into his cup. He was having a hard time controlling his laughter at the waves of pure rage coming from Buffy.

“Excuse me...” he said in a strangled rush to Willow. Thrusting his cup at her he rushed out the back, where he burst into loud fits of mirth. His laughter rang merrily in the alley behind the Bronze. Then an eerie awareness drifted over him. Whirling with prenatural speed, he turned and saw a white clad girl, swaying to a song sang in a low, clear voice. And slowly he began backing away as she drifted closer.

“Wolfie on the railway lines, picking up stones; down came the engine and broke wolfie's bones. Aah! cried little wolfie that's not fair. Oi! cried the engine driver I don't care!”

“Hello, little wolfie. Will you play with me?” Came the softly asked question in a distinctively English accent. Dru vamped out and leapt at Oz. Passerbys heard the ferocious commotion in the shadowy area. The growling and snarling rose in volume. Garbage cans were overturned and animalistic yelps of pain resounded in the darkened alley and the people hurried away, not wanting to be found lingering. If it was one of those gang members hopped up on drugs then it was best to stay out of their business and if it wasn't...they hurried faster. Shivering at the long mournful howl that came from the alley. Then silence.

“Wolfie on the railway lines, picking up stones; down came the engine and broke wolfie's bones. Aah! cried little wolfie that's not fair. Oi! cried the engine driver I don't care!” A sweet voice was heard singing in the darkness.


Back in the club, Faith finally made her breathless way back to Cordy and Xander. A wide smile of happiness was on her lips and shining from her dark sparkling eyes. “Hey, don't think I didn't see that look on your face, Ms. Thang,” she gasped out, pointing a finger at the other girl. “You're just jealous that I got the boys all hot for my bod.” And she slid her hands over her hips and gave a sinuous wiggle, winking at the agog looks on her adoring fans.

“Oh please! Sweetie, I learned a long time ago that slow and steady can get a man's attention a damn sight faster than that hot to trot shit you were doing,” Cordy replied in a dismissive voice.

“Ha! Baby, my style been working just fine! Ya get in there fast and bang bang you got 'em!” The dark-haired Slayer responded hotly. Then a sly look came in her eyes. “Prove it! Ya think you can do so good, then you get out there and shake whatcha mama gave ya!”

Cordy gave Faith a flat look while Xander tried to halt the sparkling temper flaming in his ex-girlfriend's eyes. One thing about her, Cordy did NOT tolerate anybody commenting on her ability to attract and hold a male's attention.

“Now, now ladies...you each have your...” he began soothingly enough.

“Fine!” Cordy snapped, glaring at Faith unrepentant smug expression.

“...but obviously you have no intention of listening to me,” Xander sighed in defeat.

And the elegant clothes horse sauntered out to the nearly empty dance floor as a smooth almost reggae beat began playing. Listening, Faith’s smile widened in recognition of the song. There was no fuckin' way the Princess was gonna win dancing to Mr. Bombastic by Shaggy. It was freakin' raggae, and she knew Cordy didn't listen to that kinda music. Her lips shifted in a pre-victory smile.

A smile that wilted at the edges when Cordy began moving. Her brows rose when the other girl began moving with slow almost hypnotic movements. Hips undulating, hands stroking a sleek torso with a wickedly inviting look in half-closed eyes. And dark red lips curved triumphantly when the males attention fastened on her like a magnet. And every guy experienced raging jealousy when Cordy pulled Xander onto the dance floor, then Faith joined the duo in an erotic, sensual dance that had both genders aroused and horny.

“Ladies, I just hope you both will explain to Angel why I reek of the two of you,” Xander stated calmly as both girls writhed like a pair of snakes against him. He looked upwards, towards the second floor, into a pair of golden unreadable eyes. And he relaxed, flowing with the music and girls at the smile that slowly formed within Angel's eyes.

“They're beautiful,” Spike's voice was quiet as he gazed down at the dancing trio. “They would make such dark Childer. Kinda think they'd give me and you a run for our money, eh?” He nudged Angel companionably, flashing a fanged grin at the Watcher. Then his eyes grew sly and he sidled around his grandsire and came up behind Wesley. Drawing a startled gasp from the taller human when he pressed against the man. And his nose twitched as arousal wafted from the dark-haired male. His devilish smile widened.

“Spike...” Angel said warningly, sliding a flat cold look at the blonde vampire as Spike rubbed tauntingly against the trembling human.

“Wot?! Can't a man get a little slap 'n' tickle...” the blonde protested in an aggrieved voice but at the warning snarl, he stepped back mockingly. But he did give a lingering squeeze at the Watcher's bum in passing.

And Wesley let out a shuddery breath as that tantalizing presence moved away from him. Setting his jaw with a muffled curse, he glanced at Spike and flushed, looking away from the vivid blue eyes. Those knowing wild blue eyes that were featured in his feverish dreams at night. And he again heaped virulent curses on both his head and Spike's. He knew...knew it in his bones that it was nothing more than a cruel game the blonde enjoyed playing with him.

The young Watcher swallowed heavily, feeling a prickling in his eyes and looked away from the suddenly intent eyes. Struggling for control, fighting against the heavy arousal stirring between his legs. Steeling himself, he regained his hard-won control then gave a cool look at the motionless blonde vampire. “Gentlemen, I think we are being summoned,” he said dryly to the two men.

He would be damned and doubled damned before he allowed himself to become some sort of toy for Spike to play careless games with. If he wanted that, he would have stayed in England and continued living under his father's roof. Wesley stared challengingly at Spike before he looked away and headed down the stairs. His back turned, he didn't see the sudden interest flare to life in the blonde vampire's eyes.

But Angel did. Nabbing the other with a cool grip on his nape, Angel held the vampire back. “Leave him alone. If you are not serious, let him be. You've got Ethan, plus Dru...
so leave Wesley alone.”

Spike gave Angel a calculating look, wanting to see just how serious the older man was. His eyes narrowed disagreeably. Very serious. “What if he wants to play with me?”

“Don't. Think of him as an older Xander. If you play your usual games with him, you'll scare him away. Besides, he'll never come near you as long as Ethan or Dru is still in your bed.” Angel's voice was quietly serious as they slowly walked down the stairs. He gave a half-smile at the questioningly, suspicious look Wesley directed towards them.

“Like Xander, eh?” Spike looked thoughtful as he mulled over what Angel said. “Hows about if I get me own bedroom. Separate from Dru and Eth. Be all nice and gentle like? Sorta court the bugger, huh? Flowers and candy, ya think?”

Angel rolled his eyes and gritted his teeth. “NO! I mean, he's not like you...able or willing to share his affections. Some humans don't like to share.”

“Wot?! No sharing? At all?!” And Spike looked horrified at the thought. “But...that's no fun!”

“They are human...and some humans believe in monogamy.”

“You and the boy? I kinda figure you, him and the cheerleader were snoggin',” Spike softly exclaimed.

Angel snickered. “Other than the fact that either Xander or Cordy would try to stake me instantly...hell no. Besides, having just Xander in my bed...it's more intense. All that energy and passion directed exclusively at you. For you...” Angel shivered in an orgasmic rush of passion. His eyes flashed with a startling brilliant gold.

“That good, huh?” Spike spoke thoughtfully as they came to a stop a few feet from the young Watcher.

“Better than good...” was the simple reply. They joined the dark haired human. Then felt a fission of electricity tingle along their nerves from their right. Since Faith was directly in front of them, it could only mean that Buffy was watching them. And with careful, non-expressions they looked in the direction their senses were telling them the blonde Slayer was.

The crowd parted, giving them a glimpse of the cold attention she directed at them. More particularly at Xander. Angel's eyes shifted to gold...and remained that way as he joined his mate.

Spike's eyes flowed from stormy blue to gold as well when Buffy began stalking towards them. Towards their trio of dancers. And he grinned. He had been pleading for a chance to tangle with the Slayer again. With her so obsessed with his soddin' grandsire, the bloomin' bint would provide days of entertainment. If that bloody Protector would just let him have at her! “Bleedin' goody-goody two shoes,” he muttered softly. But he hoped not loud enough to be heard by it.

Buffy headed determinedly towards Xander, or more importantly towards Angel who had joined her backstabbing former friend. Her lips twisted in a hard smile at the sight of HER boyfriend standing protectively beside Xander. Well, if she couldn't have Angel then maybe it was time for her to 'do her duty as a Slayer'. Either that, or seriously impact Cordy's attempt to be a Homecoming Queen.

“Ah, Ms. Summers! What a pleasant surprise to find you in this fine establishment,” Robin said as he smoothly stepped in front of the angry looking young blonde. There was a cool look of curiosity on his dark-skinned face as he gazed around at the thronging crowd of clubbers. “So this is the famous, or infamous shall I say, Bronze...the place where all the young people so like to gather.”

Buffy ground to a halt at the odd look in Principal Wood's eyes. She had a feeling that any move forward would result in some serious academic repercussions, namely her getting her ass bounced out of school.

So she put on her most charming smile and rapidly adjusted her attitude. Respectful attention was in every line of her body when Robin turned back to her. But she was puzzled at the momentarily flash of something still in his face when he looked away from Angel and crew.

“Mr. Harris, Ms. Chase and Ms. McDaniels. I hope your homework is at least partially completed,” and he had a slight teasing lilt in his voice as he turned back to the other three teens. Then his eyes shifted to the three men standing next to them, and his brow rose inquiringly.

“Uhm Principal Wood, this...this is Wesley, Angel and our friend Spike,” Xander introduced the vampires with reluctance. Cordy plastered a carefree look of unconcern on her face, while Faith merely had a disgruntled rebellious look on hers. She didn't know why but Principal Wood made her feel...antsy and uncomfortable for some reason. And she kept reacting like she always did with authority figures: defiance and a half-sneer. Besides, it wasn't like she really needed an education. Long as she could read and write, what else did she need?

“Hmmm, cold hands...” Robin murmured as he shook hands with Angel.

“...but a warm heart,” Angel shot back. His stare was venturing on a glare at the slim dark man. His eyes narrowed on the cool obsidian black eyes, feeling as if he was being challenged in some odd way. It was the same way he felt meeting Buffy and Faith for the first time. Like he had to protect himself against a Slayer.

Robin raised a brow, no visible emotion was evident on his face. Though his eyes narrowed slightly as he took in the closeness between the teen and the other man. But his thoughts remained hidden behind cool black eyes. Then his eyes widened fractionally when he looked at Spike. And both Spike and Angel’s eyes were instantly lowered . They had to fight not to show their demon face at the violent wave of rage and hatred that assaulted their noses.

Directed at them.





Chapter 9

Uh uh, Xander said silently to himself when Angel's head slowly came up. A hasty glance around, revealed that just about everyone in the club was aware of something going on in their little group.

~”Stop him! He must not harm the boy!”~ The Protector mental voice was intense and giving it an angry glare, Xander tried to rein in his pawing, territorial mate. Not that he thought the principal was interested in him, but that steady stare Principal Wood was giving Angel was the equivalent of challenging his mate to a duel. It was a combative stare, plain and simple.

“Angel, Kyle's here.” Xander whispered urgently to his growly vampire. And poked Angel hard in the ribs to get his attention. Which he got, instantly and began tugging the larger male away. Tossing a respectful smile to Principal Wood, giving a quick jerk of his head to the rest of his friends.

Unaware of the shock that rippled through Robin. Then his eyes narrowed thoughtfully on the group that gathered briefly around a slim, Caucasian, extremely pale man. Even from this distance, whoever the man was, he radiated a cold dismay at the thronging crowd of club goers. With a icy sweeping glance around, the man joined the group as they headed out the doors.

Buffy gazed up at Principal Wood uneasily. She quickly decided that since he was clearly busy...thinking, now would be a good time to leave him alone. With his thoughts on... whatever and she darted away. Grabbing a protesting Willow, Buffy rushed the girl out of the club. Harshly telling the red-head that Oz obviously left the club early and they needed to get the hell out of the Bronze before Principal Wood came nosing in their business.


Back at the mansion, Kyle watched curiously as crates were unloaded from one of the pickup trucks that had been placed on reserve at the airport in L.A. They had flew the crates in a private jet from New York to L.A., then unloaded the crates onto the waiting vehicles and drove to Sunnydale. Several Revenants from the House of Aureli were helping unload the trucks and carting them off into a room that had been cleared for this occasion.

But despite his seemingly carefree attitude, Kyle couldn't help but feel a fission of nervous tension skittering down his spine at just how many of those things the Protector had asked Whistler to build.

“What will happen if these creatures aren’t stopped?” He interrupted the conversation Angel was having with the platinum blonde vampire.

Spike whirled around with an indignant low growl. “Didn't yer mama teach you any manners?!” Not that he and the poofer were discussing anything important, it was just that soddin' Master bloke jangled his nerves something fierce.

“No.” Kyle barely gave any of his attention to the blonde as he waited for his answer.

“Those of us that are still left standing will fight. You probably already know that Rejar has the Vampire Nation and its' allies ready to act should we lose.” Angel's voice was detached as he gazed at his busy mate. Xander, Cordy, Faith, Ethan, Wes and even Drusilla were ripping open the crates and setting out all the shiny devices all over the floor.

“Rejar didn't exactly tell me how he would know if you've failed or what he was going to do,” the vampire stated almost apologetically, but there was a growing hardness in Kyle's eyes and a blankness descending on his face. Something wasn't adding up.

But before Angel could answer, Spike glared venomously up at his grandsire and interjected a blistering condemnation at the older vampire.

“I know me rights! Yer were all tryin' ta cheat me outta me fair share! You and that soddin' Protector gangin' up on me and tryin' ta trick ole Spike. But I stood up ta ya both, I did, diddin' I? I know me rights! Tryin' ta trick me outta me share of the fight,” he muttered hotly, still glaring murderously up at Angel.

“The long stick's supposed to mean I get t'stay and fight! Ya ain't supposed to change the rules in the middle of the game.” The blonde growled furiously, resuming the longstanding argument that he had been waging for days.

Kyle's brow lifted slightly. It was the only expression he allowed himself to show.

Angel ignored his snarling grandchilde as he directed his attention to Kyle. “The original plan was that either me, Dru or Spike would stay with the humans observing the battle. If it went wrong, one of us was to contact Rejar and inform him of that fact. And he would proceed from there. Spike drew the longest stick, while I drew the shortest. But I will NOT be separated from Xander.” And there was a cold, fierce look in the older vampire's eyes that hardened into an icy determination.

Kyle silently processed that interesting fact, while thinking about what Angel left unsaid. “And if some of the demons manage to escape?”

There was an uncomfortable silence. Even Spike had to look away uneasily. “There'll be a shield around the town and the townspeople will be 'convinced' to return home and sleep,” Angel began reluctantly. “Buffy and Faith will remain behind, should any of the demons manage to escape. And they'll have enough warning to get the hell out of Sunnydale by the time Rejar acts. He and the rest of the Nation's allies have enough firepower to level the town.”

The strawberry-blonde vampire brows contracted as he digested that fact. And came to one startling conclusion...

“The humans in Sunnydale are distraction as well as bait,”stated flatly.

“Yes...”

Cold contempt slowly formed on Kyle's face as he glared at the other two vampires. “I should have expected such a...”

“It was my idea...” came a quiet voice behind him and he whirled around to meet the Protector's blank, white eyes.

“Yours...? But I thought you were supposed to be the big Protector of humanity?” Kyle said softly in derision.

The Protector's head tilted to the side thoughtfully. “There are over a billion humans living on this planet. There are almost an equal number of demons as well. A few hundred lives to contain this threat is a very small price to pay. And regrettably it is the citizens of Sunnydale that will pay to secure the survival of the rest of the world.”

“And you? What will you be doing while Sunnydale burns? Or will you be too busy saving your own ass?” Kyle's voice was icy with thickening rage. And he was puzzled at the feeling of disappointment he felt at Xander and the Protector's actions.

“Had I a few more years to deal with the menace of the Zynaesh horde, then perhaps things could have been different. As it is, before Sunnydale begins to burn I will be busy dying as I seal the barrier between the various worlds that the Zynaesh have invaded.” It gave a polite inclination of its' head before walking away.

“It's going to die?” Kyle said in a shaken voice. “But why?”

“Because that's the price the two Powers demanded. Apparently, there's something that got out of hand in the past that it's trying to correct but neither Xander or the Protector will tell anybody what it was so we can help. So the deal is, if we win, it can fix the problem easily and with the Powers help. If we lose, then death is the punishment and a way to fix things,” Angel sighed as he looked at the vampire hunter.

“Damn...” Kyle said mildly. But there was a storm of emotions churning in his amber eyes.

Then blinking, he decided to share some information with them in exchange. “That guy you were talking to in the club? The black guy? Do you know who he is?”

Spike raised a brow in curiosity. “Yeah, the kids tells us that he's their Principal.”

“Maybe, but he's also a vampire hunter.” The man's voice was flat. “Some of our people here started noticing another hunter skulking around Sunnydale. They got curious and followed him. He is good. Very, very good. And he moved like a Slayer. But none of them knew who or what he was. So, under Pascal's orders they took several pictures that they had airlift back to us. Rejar called Blade in, and that oh, so worthy denizen of our the twilight world identified him as a vampire hunter.” His voice was noncommittal as he spoke, leaving them to their own conclusions.

“Like Blade?!” Angel said sharply, furiously thinking behind a frowning exterior.

Kyle snorted, an amused glint appearing in his eyes. “Not quite,” he said dryly. “Rumor has it that he is the son of a Slayer.” With that he calmly strode away, leaving the two stunned vampires behind. And gesturing with one hand, Kyle gathered the Revenants and the remaining House of Aureli's agents to him with a grim set face.

“But I thought Slayers couldn't pop the little buggers out,” Spike protested quietly to Angel.

“So did I,” replied the other thoughtfully, turning a curious gaze on his mate.


Later that night, Xander stirred slowly in Angel's protective embrace. Carefully lifting up a heavy arm, he eased out of the bed and tiptoed into the bathroom. Changing clothes swiftly, he slinked out of the bedroom and swiftly made his way outside with a sigh of relief.

~“Are you really sure this is necessary?”~ He asked nervously as he walked rapidly down the night darkened streets.

~“Yes, perhaps you might care to hurry if you are that fearful of being outside? Don't mind me and please disregard the fact that you do house one of the most powerful beings in the universe,”~ the Protector stated dryly.

Xander frozen. ~“That was a joke, wasn't?”~ He said, peering suspiciously at the energy source.

~“No, that was sarcasm. A joke is: 'Knock! Knock! Who goes there? Cargo. Cargo what? Car go Beep! Beep!' See the difference?”~

Xander resumed walking, ignoring the white light that speared through the heart of a vampire rushing at him. And the dust that drifted over to him resulting from the vampire's death.

~“I don't think I'm liking the fact that you are being sarcastic. Especially not with me,”~ he muttered darkly to his body's roommate.

~“Deal with it. Now will you just hurry up and get to his house?!”~

~“I just want you to know that I'm doing this under protest, you know!”~

A few minutes later, Xander was rapping firmly on the door of a dark green house. He glanced casually around, looking approvingly at the low maintenance dwelling. With one quick look, it was practically impossible for anybody to sneak up on you. He turned his attention forward as the door opened, spilling golden light on him.

“Xander?! What are you doing wandering the streets at this time of night?” Robin demanded incredulously. It was slightly after midnight, but the older man was still attired in dark pants and a black pullover shirt. Both seemed to be covered in a fine layer of dust.

“Hi! Sorry to come by so late at night, but somebody really needed to talk to you,” Xander said cheerfully. He gave the suspicious man his best puppy dog eyes of pure innocence.

Robin remained inside, but his eyes darted hastily to either side of Xander before he stepped silently away from the door. Tacitly letting the young boy cross over his threshold.

Xander couldn't help the chuckle that slipped from his throat. “You know, I had my doubts about you. That you were like a lot of the people in Sunnydale, ya know, believing those crazy stories of gangs hopped up on PCP and stuff. Still curious, though, why you decided to come to Hellmouth Hilton, home of demons and other evil villainous creatures of the night is beyond me. Ooooh, cool swords!” He exclaimed, looking at the martially decorated walls.

Robin's eyes narrowed, then he laughed and shook his head as if he was in on the joke. “I'm sorry...demons? Creatures of the night? What do your parents allow you to read at night?!”

But when Xander turned around slowly, Robin couldn't help but draw back hastily from the glowing white eyes.

“What the hell...?!”

“Sorry, I'm not part of that crowd,” the Protector stated dryly. “I am the Protector. Xander has graciously allowed me to set up residence within his body for the next several years. At which time, we will have become a merged individual and he will take up the job of protecting this world. Now as to the reason why I'm here...you have something that does not belong to you.”

Then it dodged the thrown knives that came flying towards it. “ROBIN! Stop this nonsense at once! While I can heal Xander of the injury resulting in getting hit with sharp instruments, I'm quite sure he would not be pleased to have holes in his body!”

~“Ya think?!”~

Robin was breathing hard. “Get out of my house...now!”

Protector heaved a sigh. “Son,” it began and paused. “Actually Xander informs me that you would be considered my grandson.”

The dark-skinned man's mouth twisted up. “Hardly, while never having met my father, my mother did assure me that he was as black as me.” Though why in the hell he was still talking to...to...it he had no idea.

“I consider all Slayers my daughters. Which, as Xander says, makes you my grandchild.”

And Robin froze, his face becoming blank. “I'm sorry?”

“Your mother was a beautiful Slayer. I still consider Nikki one of my more accomplished and resourceful children. Not that any of my daughters were incompetent,” it assured Robin hastily. “It's just that there was something about her, about her drive as a Slayer...” it shook it's head.

The other froze. “You knew my mother?” Robin managed to choke out. His eyes swept the youthful figure in disbelief before his expression hardened. “Get out.”

The Protector's eyes flashed whitely and beside him stood an almost indistinct figure. Though faint, Robin recognized the unmistakable features of his mother.

“Mama...?” Slipped out before he could stop the words.

“My apologies, Robin. I do not do this to cause you harm or distress, I merely wished to prove the value of my words.” The Protector's voice was soft as it watched the distress flow across it's daughter's face and it's only grandchild.

“You are the only child any Slayer can claim as her own. While Potentials have the capability of becoming pregnant, upon assuming the mantle of Slayer my daughters lose their capacity to reproduce. That was one of the concessions I was forced to make with the two Powers regarding my children.”

“You keep calling Slayers your 'daughters' how is that possible?” Robin demanded fiercely, though he was hardly able to tear his gaze off of his mother.

“Because I created the Slayer line. It is through me that they exist. Is that not what a parent does, give life? When the world was young, demons walked the land. Dominating species after species, enslaving mankind as well as demonkind. I was created to halt such reckless chaos. I was created to be the judge, jury and if need be, executioner. I am the Protector. But after a millennia, I grew weary and I bargained with the two Powers for some relief from my years of toil. They agreed, thus the Slayers and Watchers were created.”

Robin was breathing harshly, his eyes narrowed as he thought back on what the...the...
thing said. “I'm not a thief!” He exclaimed suddenly.

“I never said you were. But you do have the Slayer's bag. It is an item that has been passed down from one Slayer to another.”

Now the dark-skinned man looked at the white-eyed young man. Absolutely convinced of the truth of what it was saying. He could feel it resonating in his bones. “But there are two Slayers. So, which one gets the bag?”

And a discomforted look appeared on the youthful face. “That is where we are having a problem. Xander feels that Buffy Summers is not qualified to remain as a Slayer, and says that Faith McDaniels should assume the mantle of Slayer. I feel that both females have very disreputable qualities for a Slayer and I'm somewhat unsure of which direction I should take.”

“So you want ME to pick which one to give the bag to?” Robin asked, his voice rising in disbelief. Then a sudden thought occurred. “What happens to the other one?”

“First YOU will not be choosing which female remains as the Slayer. And in answer to your second question, I will strip the power of Slayer from her.” The Protector stated bluntly. Then it sighed and spoke carefully. “Something interfered with the natural order of progression for the Slayer power. So, instead of one...there are two fully functioning Slayers. The agreement between I and the two Powers stipulates one AND only one Slayer can occupy this position.”

“So what could have interfered?” The man asked in confusion, struggling to understand. “I mean, one dies and another one becomes the Slayer.”

“Life...” was the succinct answer.

Robin raised a brow, still looking puzzled. Then he blinked as the white glow faded and familiar brown eyes were looking at him.

“Technically, Buffy died when she was sixteen. I knew CPR...” the young man admitted helplessly, spreading his hands.

The older man let out an unamused laugh. “You knew CPR,” he repeated slowly and sat down heavily. “So what the hell happened that caused this sacred bond of friendship to go up in flames?” His expression turned shrewd. “Rumor has it that you were chasing after her boyfriend. Was he the one that you two were about to start fighting over?” And cold disapproval was in his eyes.

“That is immaterial to this discussion,” the Protector stated, swiftly resuming control and stopping Xander from blurting out the reason why he and Buffy were about to mix it up.

Robin's eyes narrowed at that, but he held his tongue.

The Protector looked at it's only grandchild, vague dreamlike images of Robin's mother and all the Slayers before her, drifted across the vast plain of its' memory.

Purpose. Determination. Pride. And loneliness. So much loneliness dwelled in its' daughters. Too many of its' daughters walked a lonely road in their calling. Sometimes by choice, sometimes by necessity. Accompanied only by their Watchers.

Alone in their Duty.

Their duty to the world was embedded in Slayer's bodies like the blood that coursed through their veins. No matter the cost, a determined Slayer committed herself to the defense of this world. And she always paid the ultimate price of death for her unseen service to mankind.

Purpose. Determination. Duty.

Those were the qualities of a Slayer. Something it wasn't seeing in Buffy and Faith.

However, in reviewing its' memories, it noticed a curious fact. Some of the Slayer that choose NOT to walk their hard path alone, that gathered friends around them, joyfully and willingly paid the high price. Knowing they had served their purpose and their loved ones were safe.

The Protector drifted up to Robin, glowing white eyes studied the young man's face with searing intensity. Seeing the pride, the determination in its' grandson that was a reflection of the boy's mother.

“Your mother was a wonderful Slayer,” it murmured softly. “Wild. Impetuous and very headstrong in her determination to protect the world against the rogue demons she encountered.”

Robin gritted his teeth, blinking back his angry tears. “But she abandoned me...so what kind of person did that make her? A good Slayer or just another lousy mother?” He looked away from the cold look that descended on the Protector's face. His jaw set determinedly.

The Protector's eyes suddenly resembled chips of frozen ice. “Tell me, if you had a child of your own and danger threatened not only the town you lived in, but also your child.
You have two choices, either save the town and die or save your child and live? What would you do?”

Its' brow lifted at the discomforted look on Robin's face. “Not such an easy choice or an answer to make, is it?”

And summoning Nikki back within itself, the Protector headed for the door.

“Wait! If you ask me, then I think Buffy Summers should remain the Slayer! Sure, she's kinda hardheaded but she's also very determined. My impression is that she's not the kind of person that will allow anything to get in her way. While Faith on the other hand is reckless, rude and a loose cannon. I don't care if she is hanging with you, she's an accident just waiting to happen,” Robin said as he hurried after the energy being.

“This is not a decision I can make in haste, for my decision is a lasting one and cannot be unmade. Besides, you have yet to see either of them displaying their true Slayer qualities. Within the next day or so, Sunnydale will be invaded by a large demonic force. While neither of the two living Slayers will take part in this battle, should any of the demons escape my attention, they will be able to keep it from going too much further. You are welcome to join the Slayers in viewing the battle.” The Protector stated quietly, silencing anything further its grandchild could say.

Traveling down the sidewalk it stopped. “Spike, why are you lurking in the bushes?” Xander resumed control as he turned and gave the blonde a puzzled look.

And the platinum blonde sauntered out of the bushes, a lit cigarette dangling from his lips. “Got kinda curious 'bout why you were sneakin' outta the mansion,” he drawled, his lips twisting in a little smirk. “So, I said t'meself, 'Look you, Peaches prob'ly wouldn't like it if his lil' pet got himself 'urt and all. Better keep an eye on 'im...so 'ere I am.”

Xander looked at him doubtfully. “Uh huh...” He turned and began walking again.

Spike easily caught up with him and they walked in silence back to the mansion.

“She's not gonna like it, ya know,” the blonde offered quietly.

Though Xander stiffened, he said nothing and kept on walking. Though a little bit faster.

The vampire slid a sidelong glance at the dark-haired youth. They were at the mansion now. “Not that I have a problem with one less Slayer in the world, but the bint's not gonna understand why yer keeping all quietlike.”

“I know...” They came to a stop just outside the large doors. “It's all my fault...if I hadn't saved Buffy this wouldn't be happening. Protector says this is the only way to fix things. By saving her, it caused an imbalance in the barriers between the outside worlds and us. The only way to fix it is by having only ONE Slayer. Though on the bright side, if me and the Protector die then both Buffy and Faith can remain Slayers.” Xander gave the vampire a desperate, shaky smile.

“So you can imagine which choice the boy is pushing for,” the Protector said dryly to the astonished vampire.

“Let me get this straight...either Buffy or Faith gets their bleedin' powers stripped from them, but if you and Glowy get offed, they get to stay Slayers? And yer rooting ta get yerself kilt?! Are ya bloomin' nuts or what?! Let one of the lil' bints get 'erself stripped. World don't need two soddin' Slayers,” Spike snorted in contempt.

“And if the silly bird winds up hatin' yer guts, then fuck her anyhow! Ya don't need that kinda body around ya anyway, bringing ya down. Questioning yer decisions. Yer the one in charge of this bloody match, 'n callin' the shots.” The vampire breathed out a cloud of smoke.

“'Sides, this ain't like a some soddin' popularity contest. Faith's a big girl, and she's been around the block a time or two. She knows life don't hand ya any guarantees. And in a choice between livin' a long healthy life, surrounded by all her grandkids or dying a short, painful death I kinda think she'll pick the long healthy life. You'll be doing her a favor, is all. And in time, the bint'll see that.” Then he shrugged carelessly. “If not, tell her to piss off!”

Xander could only listen in astonishment. Somewhere in those snarky words, he recognized the vampire was supporting him. Somehow, despite the Protector's words to the contrary, now he knew the world was coming to an end.

“And if ya tell anybody I said anythin' I'll rip yer friggin' throat out,” Spike growled softly before taking one final drag of his cigarette and disappearing indoors.

“Oooookay,” Xander said slowly to the night air. “That was...interesting.” Then he followed behind the vampire and headed for his own room.

A shadowy figure stepped away from the bushes, having overheard the entire conversation. A twisted smile stole across the figure's lips.


Angel stirred when Xander slid back into the bed. “Where were you?” He asked quietly, pulling his mate into his arms.

“Had to see a man about a bag,” the younger man said. He snuggled further into the comforting embrace, feeling his jangling nerves ease. But he could sense his lover waiting patiently and reluctantly he began telling Angel everything. Starting with the problem the Protector was facing and ending with Spike's conversation. Unaware he had been crying until he felt wetness pooling under his cheek.

“You know, I can't believe I'm saying this...but Spike's right,” Angel said with an air of disbelief. “Which is generally a sign that the world is coming to an end.”

And Xander gave a choked, watery laugh. “That's exactly what I thought!”

“Well, if the Protector picks Buffy, I'm packing up this family and heading for L.A.,” Angel stated firmly. “I have no intention of letting my family stay in a town with her as the Slayer. And I'll figure out a way to convince Cordy's father to let her come stay with us.” He smiled down into Xander's astonished eyes. And Angel had just enough time to brace himself before he was rolled over on his back and quick, smacking kisses were layered over his face.

“Have I mentioned how much I love you...adore you?” Xander exclaimed breathlessly between kisses.

“Hmmm...not recently, but you're off to a great start,” Angel replied huskily, pulling his lover's face down into a much more thorough kiss. He laughed softly at the shy, eagerness in Xander's bright eyes before he rolled them back over and demonstrated just how much he also adored his beautiful boy.



It took the Protector almost 30 hours before it managed to get all the small devices charged. And it took the entire group another three hours of burying the devices around Sunnydale. Spreading the items a mere five feet apart, they had the entire town encircled with the devices before the Protector's three acolytes arrived.

Spike gave an unusually quiet Faith a sharp look before ignoring her. She wasn't exactly his problem.

By this time, even the most oblivious townsperson could feel the oppressive atmosphere that blanketed the town. A sense of some almost unimaginable danger heading their way. The smarter ones had already decided to take an extended vacation, the more clueless thought perhaps a hurricane was headed their way. And they clutched at each other excitedly.



Late in the day, the Protector's head came up slowly. “It's beginning...I can feel them crossing through the gates. They will be here within four hours. It's time.”

Ethan’s lips tightened as he glanced at Spike's immobile face, then at Wesley's pale, yet composed face. This was not his type of fight, but for the first time he wanted to be in the thick of it. Fighting beside his lovers. After all this time...all these years to find someone like Spike. And Dru...a bloody female! They were both soddin' vampires! Those damnable fates truly must be laughing their arses off at him.

And with the silent, grim-faced African magus' casting a protective spell over the vampires, the three were all able to travel in the sunlight. He cast a quick glance over his shoulder at Spike before sliding into the car alongside Wesley. And he hid the nervous tremors in his hands as they left for the library.

Ethan started as he felt a warm hand pat his own. “He'll be okay...” Wesley said quietly when the Chaos mage's eyes jerked up to him.

“How can you be so calm?” The words were jerked out of Ethan convulsively. “Don't you feel like screaming every time Faith goes up against some walloping great beastie or don't you care?”

“Whenever...” Wesley began to answer but swallowed harshly. “A Slayer and Watcher can't function effectively if the Watcher has a tendency to run around in a screaming panic each time a Slayer fights. I try my damnest to give Faith every scrap of knowledge I possess on how to defeat her opponent. And I pray every time that I've given her all the tools she needs to fight, to survive. To live.”

“And every night that she returns home safely to me, no matter how badly wounded and bruised, I consider myself blessed and count myself fortunate that I have one more day to teach her. To use whatever meager skills I have to insure her survival. She's not just my Slayer, no more than I am her Watcher. She is my friend. But I know that someday one of two things will happen. Either she won't come home or she will no longer need my guidance. And I pray, on bended knees with utmost devotion, for the latter. But until that time comes, I give her a brave face. I show her that I have every confidence in her ability to survive. I refuse to burden her with my doubts or my fears. This is my struggle, and I use my fear to my advantage. It makes me work harder as her Watcher and as her friend.”

Ethan shivered at the naked look of terror deep in the man's eyes. “How can you not let it show?”

“Should I allow my weakness to weaken her? This battle against my fears is just as intense as the fights that she encounters. Faith looks to me for guidance, confidence and reassurance. And I will be DAMNED if I let her down! So I would suggest you buck up. If you care, if you love...never allow them to see your fear for their safety. Fear and doubt are contagious.” And Wes turned his attention out the window, struggling to master himself before the coming battle. He and Faith had a long talk, and while he was sure of her decision, he still hoped that perhaps she would change her mind.



“What the bloody hell are you doing here?” Giles snapped out when Angel and company walked into the library. Buffy jumped up as well, her body held defensively at the sight of Spike. Willow barely looked up from her computer. She had been checking every lead she could find for her missing boyfriend.

“Because I invited them here,” Robin said quietly as he eased around the bunched up people. He set a large black satchel on the table.

Faith's eyes narrowed then she looked away.

The Protector walked in then stood calmly between the two hostile groups. “As you may be aware, the Zynaesh are coming. They will be here within a few short hours at the most. Buffy, as you still answer to me, I will be requiring both you and Faith to take defensive positions outside of Sunnydale. While it is extremely doubtful, a demon may be able to break through the barrier that will surround the town. Should this battle go against me and my fighters, Sunnydale will be destroyed.”

It glanced around with nimbus glowing eyes. “Are there any questions?”

“Yeah, how come I'm not fighting the Zynaesh with you?” Buffy demanded with a sharp glance at Faith.

“Because you will die.” It answered her simply. “The only way to fight the Zynaesh will be to imbue you with a great deal more of my essence.”

“Then do it!”

“Perhaps you were not listening to my earlier statement. Were I to give you more power, your body will eventually turn on itself and you will burn to death. The more energy you expend, the faster the power will scourge through your body. Slayer were are designed to hold only a small portion of my energies. Xander's body on the other hand can and will hold much, much more.”

Buffy shuddered and drew back, shaking her head quickly. “That's okay, keep it! I'll stay on cleanup detail.”

“Excellent...then we can proceed,” it said. Then at the sound of horrendous growls and snarls it sighed. “Drusilla, why did you bring that thing here? You were supposed to leave it tied up in the basement.”

“But...I just want to show the pretty tree and that nasty Slayer my doggie,” she pouted. She gave a harsh pull on a thick chain, jerking a wolflike creature into the library. “See, isn't he just the sweetest puppy? I call him Wolfie.” The wide smile she gave to the room was beautifully proud. And wonderfully insane.

“Oz...?” Willow whispered in disbelief, staring at her boyfriend at the end of Drusilla's leash.

“No, not Oz!” Dru stamped her foot childishly. “His name is Wolfie...”

“omigod...” Robin muttered softly as he stared at the muzzled wolfish creature.

“holy shit...” Cordy and Faith whispered together.

“Look, I taught him to roll over!” Dru exclaimed excitedly. “Roll over Wolfie! Roll over!” But stubbornly the werewolf shook his head, casting wild, pleading eyes around at the horrified humans. Dimly in his pain ridden mind, he could feel the spell one of the three magus cast on him. Eating away at him, destroying his ability to change back to human. Leaving him forever a animal.

Sighing in exasperation, Dru bent over. Whereupon, Oz leapt upon her and managed to get in one good blow to her arm. Gauging a long slash in her pale skin. But days of beatings and harsh training had taken their toll on his strength.

“You naughty dog!” She scolded him fiercely. She pulled out a rolled up newspaper and violently smacked him on the nose. And he howled silently in agony, cowering from her. “Bad boy! Bad doggie! Bad!”

“STOP THAT!” Willow screamed and tried to run to her boyfriend. But she was thrown to the floor by Spike.

“Sorry luv, can't let you interfere when Dru's training her puppy. Says it interferes with her teachin' methods,” Spike drawled out with malicious laughter glinting in his eyes.

Willow's eyes darkened stormily. She reached for her magic and gasped in shock. The three magus regarded her calmly. And in their black obsidian eyes there was little emotion. Or compassion.

They turned to the Protector. “My lord, we will begin preparing the spell immediately.”

“My gratitude knows no bounds for the invaluable service you have given me throughout the ages. You and the others held this world together with little help, other than advice, from me. You have served me faithfully and well.” It bowed deeply to them, giving them the respect they were due. It knew that had it not been for them, the world would have descended into utter chaos.

They smiled for the first time and bowed. “No my lord, it is we that thank you. We have served you long and faithfully. It will be good to finally be at rest.”

“Go with my thanks. In this world and the next.” The three magus bowed solemnly once again and departed. Their job was to put the entire town under a sleeping spell for the next eight hours. And holding the spell would drain the very life from the three magus. They looked forward to finally being able to greet the Eternal Guide, and rest.

Then Giles growled ominously as he caught sight of a figure lurking in the background. “Ethan Rayne, what the bloody hell are you doing here?”

“His job,” came the Protector's cold reply.

Giles looked at the energy being, shaken. “His job...? Bu...bu...the man's a bleedin' tosser and a Chaos mage! He's evil! And he most certainly cannot be trusted! He'll turn on you the second your back is turned.” His voice grew stronger, absolute conviction in his ringing tones.

Even Faith had to join in on the hysterical laughter that Giles comment caused. The stiff, affronted look that came over the senior Watcher's face caused even more merriment to ensue.

“Stop it! I can't breathe...” Cordy gasped out, holding on to her sides. Her ribs were aching from laughing so hard. She wiped away tears to mirth and smiled. “Giles...you're an evil, snake-in-the-grass sonavabitch, but I gotta thank you for making me laugh.”

“Dude, I haven't laughed that hard in a long while,” Faith exclaimed breathlessly. For the first time in a long while, her face was free of dark worry and stress. As was her soul. She exchanged a slow, confident smile at her Watcher. And though sadness darkened his eyes, still he gave her an understanding smile in return.

Giles' eyes glittered coldly from the laughter at his expense, but he remained silent. One look at Oz and he had a pretty good idea of what to expect from them.

Robin swallowed heavily. Although he had a feeling about which Slayer was going to remain the Slayer, however, seeing Oz on a leash made him rethink his initial decision. Especially considering the fact that 'granddad' wasn't saying a damn thing. Made him start thinking that there was something else going on that he didn't know about.

Then he lifted his head and met Faith's calm, steady gaze dead on. And with a sense of shock, he knew she was aware of his opinion of her...and that she realized exactly what was going on. That either she or Buffy was going to be de-Slayer-ized before the end of the day.

He carefully put some distance between them. Giving him enough room to fight, just in case. But all she did was roll her eyes and turn away from him.

“Dru...” this time it was Xander that spoke. “Put him in the cage, please.” Despite his racing heart he knew it was only justice what the vampiress did to the werewolf.

“Xander, noooo...” Willow moaned softly. She was backed against the wall, with Spike facing her. Grinning viciously at her with sharp, predatory teeth.

“In all things, there must coming a reckoning...” Wesley stated with frigid politeness as he glared at her. And his eyes slid over the Slayer and Watcher. A cold, twisted smile on his face when they stiffened and paled slightly.

And Robin filed that away. Becoming aware that certain things were simply not adding up.

With an air of quiet command, Wesley led the humans out of the library and into the waiting cars. They were headed for a neutral and extremely high place where they would be able to overlook the battle. However, Giles and Buffy took exception to the fact that the younger Watcher believed HE was in charge and began protesting loudly as to who was in charge. And in the confusion of the moment, as the two cars drove off with their vigorously protesting passengers, one figure quietly slipped away, returning to the library.

Angel and Spike stopped sparring against each other and regarded the returning human with astonished eyes. Dru kept merrily swinging her sword at the cage containing wolfOz.

“Hey...”

“Hey yourself,” Xander said softly as he turned around. He had heard the cars drive off.

“'Bout that offer of bucking up my strength,” Faith said hesitantly. “Is it still open? 'Cause I got a feeling that you and the Protector gonna need every Slayer you got to put a dent in them Zynaesh.” She gave Xander a slow smile. Her eyes were clear and steady on his.

“Faith, don't do this...” he said hoarsely.

The young dark-haired Slayer smiled, a big wide smile of pure confidence. For the first time, sure of what she was doing. “Xander, I was born a Slayer. I always knew this was a short-term gig and I have no regrets. Shit happens and we move on. Being a Slayer is not a job or...or...a duty. It's who I am...WHAT I am. I kill the baddies. And you can't get badder than these creatures.”

“I lied to you...” he whispered, lowering his head in shame.

“No, you didn't!” Faith said swiftly. She crossed to him and hugged him tightly.

“Well, I didn't tell you what was going on...” he claimed stubbornly, hugging her just as tightly.

“Look, you can stand there all day beating yourself up over something you didn't do...or we can pick up a couple of swords and kick the shit outta the Zynaesh. Guess which one I'm votin' for?” Faith gave Xander a wicked wiggle of her brows. Her eyes glittered with mischief.

“Love you...” he choked out, burying his face in her neck.

“We five by five?” Faith pulled back to look at him seriously. Her eyes searching his for any hesitation. Prepared to kick his ass if she had to. This wasn't no time to get all mushy and shit.

“We cool...”

“Thank god, I beginnin' ta think I was gonna hafta get out me hanky and have meself a good blow,” Spike drawled mockingly. He smirked at the indignant faces the kids turned on him.

But Angel, with a sidelong look at his grandchilde, refrained from popping Spike on the back of his head. He saw the flicker of relief in those vivid blue eyes, and he knew that despite Faith's Slayerness, Spike was fond of both Xander and the girls.

“One of you will have to carry her to the Zynaesh landing point,” the Protector stated quietly. “It makes no practical sense to have her expending unnecessary energy before the battle.”

“I'll carry her...” Spike said with a fine show of extreme reluctance. He made sure he let out a few snide grumbles, just so they didn't get all mushy 'n soft on him.

“Hey Spike...” Faith waited until he turned, giving her a stony cold look over his shoulder. “Thanks.” And she saw the minute softening in those stormy blue eyes.

“Don't mention it...and I really mean it. DON'T ever mention I lowered meself t'carryin' a soddin' Slayer.”


Buffy got out of the car in an annoyed huff. In her eyes, a storm was brewing of sheer Slayer rage. She was just itching to tear a strip off of his hide. Him and Cordy. But Giles gave Buffy a sharp look, stilling the fulminating words that she was just about to spew.

“Where's Faith?!” The senior Watcher said sharply, his eyes cold and clear on his junior counterpart.

“She decided to remain behind...” Wesley said calmly. His attention was focused on the makeshift battlefield. But at his side Ethan drew in a hissing breath and winced.

“Is the girl insane? She'll di...” Giles cut his words off abruptly, his expression one of ruthless calculation. This made things easier. It was a win-win situation. Or at least win-win on his and Buffy's part. Faith would either die fighting against the creatures or die consumed by the power of the Protector.

“She's just trying to win points with the Protector,” Buffy growled before Giles could silence her. “I am the Slayer not her...”

But her words were choked off by the glittering frigid look Wesley turned on her. “She is your sister in arms. Not some sort of useless appendage that you can't wait to get rid of. She was born a Slayer and by God, she'll die a Slayer! Her choice! You fluffy flat-backing, air-headed fool!”

The air was charged with hostile intensity. Buffy and Giles on one side, Ethan and Wes on the other. Glaring hatefully at each other. While Willow, Robin and Cordy looked on.

Then...

“Dear God...” Cordy's whisper drew all their attention. They whirled around and all peered through their binoculars at the football field. And even Buffy drew in a sharp breath at the sight of a glowing rift in the air, then the demons stepped ponderously through the opening.

Massive.

Huge.

Evil.

Those were only some of the words that ran through the onlookers minds at the sight of the creatures. Big, tall and incredibly fierce looking. And they just prayed that the demons weren't the eight and nine feet tall that they appeared, nor as sizable as they seemed.

But no amount of disbelief could wipe away the fact that the creatures looked deadly. Armored plating on their chests, heads encased by some kind of helmety type of gear and with sharp spikes marching up their arms.

Slowly the binoculars were lowered and dismayed glances were exchanged. How could the Protector hope to defeat these...things? And they flinched at the bestial roar that drifted up to them from the football field.

Then there came a soft hum...and the barrier came up. A thick, osculating wall of glowing, nimbus energy wrapped around Sunnydale. Live or die...the fate of all Sunnydale rested on the shoulders of the defenders trapped inside.


“It's time...” the Protector stated quietly when it felt the barrier slamming into position. Opening one of the crates Spike, Angel and Dru brought in, it picked out four of the devices. It solemnly gave one to each of the vampires and Faith. Their devices were subtly different from the other objects in the crate.

“These were made especially for you. The others are for my daughters. Once open, these will increase your strength tenfold. Zynaesh are extremely difficult to kill. Their weakness are their eyes, which is something THEY are perfectly aware of. And quite naturally they will do anything to stop you. Aim for their eyes, and they will fall.”

Spike and Angel blinked, feeling something teasing at the back of their minds. Then they shrugged it off. Whatever it was, it could wait. Then their brows rose as Xander seemed to vibrate.

Xander tried to hit the Protector, angry at how he had been tricked. *“Next time you lie to me, I'm kicking your ass OUT!”*

*“Agreed.”*

“You must be completely out of the building and safely hidden. Xander tells me there is a small building just before the football field that you may take shelter within. For once I activate the remaining devices, human flesh cannot withstand the amount of power that will flood the corridors of this school. While my other daughters are corporeal, you four are decidedly NOT. While the Library may be safe, I will need you outside.”

Dru gave the Protector a pleading look, and it sighed. “Go, child. I will try to protect your pet.”

Faith yelped and held on tightly when Spike grabbed her. They took off after Angel and Dru, heading for the football field. Xander began dragging the crates to the school doors. He placed thick sheets of paper against the windows on the library door. Then rummaged in Giles' office and retrieved three blankets he found within. He used these to block up the door, and stood back critically. Well, the Protector only said that it would try.

Then it was the Protector's turn for it's part of the battle and began bleeding off it's Slayers. In the coming battle, some would die a permanent death...some may finally decide to go onward and Rest. It would miss it's daughters. And with a sigh, it took one step, then another and another until it was racing along the corridors of Sunnydale High. With every step it took, a luminous figure separated from the body, shifting, racing right behind their parent body.

Up the stairs, they raced. Second floor. Higher and higher they ran. Third floor. A trail of Slayers flowing behind, some just setting foot on the bottom stair on the first floor. They ran with fleet-foot grace down the third floor hallways, then down the stairs to the second floor, traversing the three corridors before descending to the first floor from the opposite side. By now, there were thousands of Slayers racing headlong after the Protectors. Following their Father with gleeful enthusiasm for one last battle.

The Protector headed for the crates and SHOUTED. And painfully bright light flooded the corridors like a tidal wave. Spreading upwards along the stairs, enveloping each Slayer in the intense brilliant power. Windows shattered under the searing energy, unable to withstand the force of the Protector's power. And the evening glowed brightly as if it was midday.

The Slayers yelled as the power slammed into them and then they poured out of the school like a fleet of well-trained hunting dogs. Now somewhat corporeal, they had been bred for just one purpose, one thing. And screaming ancient battlecries, they streamed onto the field. Battle axes, spears, javelins, swords, knives and other esoteric weapons gripped tightly in their fists. They were tiny compared to the demons, that much was true...but for all their lack of size...they made it up in sheer ferocity.

Five or more would attack a demon, clambering swiftly up the huge body and attacking the head while a couple would continuously batter at the treetrunk legs. And woe to the demon that fell, it would be covered in Slayers in a matter of seconds and when they retreated, turned their attention to their next victim, all that would be left was tatters of raw gaping flesh.

At first Spike and Angel were confused, especially with all the screaming languages that were going on but they quickly got into the swing of things. And the chopping and slicing, and cutting. Joining their previously once deadly enemies with cheerful abandon, gladly cutting loose and allowing the demons in them full rein.

And Faith, for the first time in her life, felt like she was in her glory. She waded into the fight in a wild frenzy of joy screaming her battlesong of death and carnage. She could feel the Protector's force raging through her, giving her more power, more speed...just so much more than she ever thought she could be. It was like a raging ecstasy moving through her...burning her.

What a way to go...better to burn like a shooting star, living her life to the fullest. Slayers were not meant to die in bed anyhow. And Faith danced like a dark living flame on the football field, joining her sisters in rapacious violence. Gloried in the destruction of their enemies. Distantly she could feel proud that hers was the killing blow to more than two demons.

This was WAY better than sex! And she could only pity Buffy for missing out on the fun.

Everything was so bright and sharp. No misunderstandings or hurt feeling could exist in this timeless moment. It was just so clear what she was...what she had to do and...

She stopped, and tried to move forward but couldn't. Faith looked down, puzzled. She was still confused as to why there was this great big sword sticking out of her stomach. The young dark-haired girl prodded it with curious fingers. Blinking at the red fluid that stained her fingers.

Then a gut wrenching pain exploded within her body, her eyes wide and dazed when the Zynaesh demon yanked it's sword out of her body. She crumpled to the ground, struggling to breathe past the agony searing through her. Vaguely she could hear the shouts, screams and growls from around her but her attention, her focus was simply on trying to breathe. Trying to hold on for just a little while longer. All she wanted was just to know that they had won. Then she could rest...sleep and join her sisters.


“Holy mother of god...” Ethan whispered. His eyes were blank at the enormous carnage taking place on the football field. Slayers were dying by the score true, but with relentless grim efficiency they were taking the Zynaesh with them.

Robin and Cordy were far too shocked to even speak. They simply cast envious eyes at the mage before turning back to the battle.

Buffy and Giles each had a tiny smile on their faces when they saw Faith go down. And they took the time to exchange pleased looks before returning their attention to the battle.

Willow leaned against Wes when he swayed, she saw a trail of wetness make it's way down his cheek. The young witch bit savagely through her lip. She had seen Faith fall as well and she could only assume that he did also.


It was over.

The Protector swayed weakly where it stood, it's knees buckling under it but it was saved by a shaking arm. It gave a tired glance to Dru's exhausted face before accepting her aid and regaining it's feet. It swept glowing eyes over the vast number of bodies lying still and motionless. Even as it watched, his daughters' bodies shimmered and faded away. They had chosen...so be it. It was their right and their choice.

The energy being and Dru stumbled over to whatever groaning Slayer they could find. Helping them to their feet, the Protector staggered when a weakened child threw herself gratefully into it. Although it took their wounds unto it, the energy being was slowly strengthened by all its' daughters return. Their influx back into the Protector going a long way towards re-energizing it.

Then it's breath caught in it's throat at the sight of a pair dark eyes gazing up at them, a pained bloody smile of her lips. The rapid breathing as well as the spreading red stain on her torso spoke all too well of how grievous was her injury. Spike and Angel both had unreadable looks on their faces before the blonde gathered the fallen Slayer in gentle arms.



Faith was laid on the Library table gently. Warm, comforting hands gripping her bloody hands tightly in mute, anguished sympathy. But her eyes were vague and turned inward as she breathed shallowly, focusing on riding out each wave of the gut-wrenching pain. Struggling to master it before it conquered her.

She was a Slayer, and it just wasn't in the cards for a Slayer to die in bed. Not unless she had been thrown there by some demon. She knew what the consequences were from day one. There was always the knowledge that this gig would someday end with her sorta like this.

...she just never expected to be surrounded by so many friends. And slowly her eyes focused on the grieving faces around her.

“We gave 'em a fuckin' Slayer style welcome, didn't we?” Faith said hoarsely and tried to laugh, but began coughing instead. She was cradled gently in Xander's arms until the spell passed. But she caught her breath at the blood she coughed up, revealed on Xander's ripped and torn shirt.

“Don't talk, you're gonna be alright,” Cordy cried desperately, holding her friend's hand tightly, tears pouring down her face.

And Faith merely gave her an amused, painfilled glance. “Princess, don' ever try t'shit a bullshitter like me.” Then her body stiffened in Xander's arms and her eyes grew vaguely distant. “Ya know, I kinda thought it woulda hurt a lot more,” she whispered softly with a faint, bloody smile on her face.

Her eyes were unseeing as air was slowly released from her lungs.

Cordy moaned, turning and burying her head in Ethan's chest with an awful wail of grief. His eyes glittered briefly before blinking rapidly, he regained control himself while Spike regarded the fallen Slayer with a jaw as hard as stone. His eyes resembled blue stones for all the emotion he showed. But Angel, Dru and even Oz could smell the wild grief raging through the rigidly controlled vampire. Though he was a Revenant, he was still a Master Vampire and his pain, his grief was not for public display.

“Well, while I really don't wish to seem callous or insensitive but I believe Faith's death was for the best,” Giles interjected the grieving silence somberly. But he was almost giddy with deeply hidden joy because unless the Protector allowed the others to kill her, Buffy was now the sole living Slayer in existence. And no matter what its feelings were towards her, Giles was relatively sure that the Protector would not allow it's only Slayer to be killed.

Robin blinked and gave the man a look of cold disbelief.

“Too late, ya fuckin' ponce!” Spike muttered savagely with a contemptuous sneer on his face.

“What do you mean by that?” Angel didn't bother to turn his head from Faith's motionless body. He knew that if he did, he would wind up ripping out Giles' twisted, dark heart. And a subconscious rumble of displeasure rippled from his throat, causing Xander to look up at him with dark, tormented eyes. And all Angel could do was go to him. Hold his mate close as the other sobbed with grief for his fallen friend.

Buffy ground her teeth as she watched Xander crying in Angel's arms. Whore and slut were the more flattering words that ran through her mind. Then she tuned into what Giles was saying and a tiny smile flickered on her lips as understanding dawned in her mind. And Willow's mouth dropped open in horrified disbelief at Giles' words.

“Why, only that the world still needs a Slayer to stand assiduously at the Protector's side against the forces of darkness that would overtake this world. Unfortunately, when Buffy was drowned by the Master, it was only due to Xander's heroic measures that she was revived. However, within that brief period of death it was sufficient for Kendra, the next Slayer, to be activated. This undoubtedly upset the natural balance, I believe, what with two Slayers in existence.”

Giles' voice was as smooth as silk with every word he uttered. Each word was as factual as the next and rang with unmistakable truth. He was not a fool, especially not with three vampires and Ethan quite willing to call him out on anything they individually, or collectively, knew was a lie. However, there were...ways that the facts could be presented that would shape an opinion. Besides, he only needed to convince the Protector of Buffy's importance to the world. Not them...and his lip lifted briefly in a sneer of disdain.

“I always felt that Faith's headstrong, wild impetuous nature would prove her undoing,” Giles shook his head with feigned sadness. Stepping hastily away at Wesley's furious charge towards him. And the younger Watcher's raging motion was stopped surprisingly enough, by Spike.

“You keep your filthy tongue off my Slayer's name, you bloody rotter,” Wesley snarled, his face pale with sickening heartache and bitter rage.

“I'm sorry that in your grief you're not able to look objectively at your Slayer's faults,” Giles began stiffly, but a brief flash of mockery gleamed in his eyes. Making the younger man struggle furiously against the vampire's tight hold, his eyes filling with tears of anger and bottomless pain.

“My Faith's worth twice that soddin' Buffy! You want to talk about faults?! Let's talk about your bloody Slayer, then!”

“Buffy is a sorry excuse for a Slayer!” Robin yelled over the sounds of the other's shouting. His face was tight with furious grief, anger in his soul at how he had misjudged the two Slayers.

Giles stopped and gave the principal a look of dismissal. “This does not concern you,” he uttered with frosty composure.

“Yes...it does,” Robin shot back with a poisonous smile. “The Protector told me that one of them would remain the true Slayer and one would not.”

Giles recovered swiftly at that bit of astonishing news. “Well, then obviously the decision is moot. Faith is dead, Buffy is alive. Therefore, Buffy is the Slayer.”

Robin ground his teeth. “The way I see it, Buffy's not even capable of being a Slayer. A real Slayer is a woman that KNOWS her duty. And nothing, not even the fear of death is gonna stop her. Not love, not fear...NOTHING! That's what a Slayer does, that is what she is!”

The senior Watcher snorted and looked at Robin in freezing contempt. “I've been a Watcher for a very long time, so I think I know best what a Slayer should be. Afterall, what would you know about what qualifies a female to be a Slayer?”

The dark-skinned man took a slow steadying breath, struggling to regain his emotional control. “My mother’s name was Nikki Wood. She was once a Slayer. And even knowing one day she would not return, she still went out every night patrolling. Fighting demons almost every night. Leaving me alone. No matter how much I begged or cried for her to stay, she knew her duty. And she fought to make this world better for me, one demon at a time. Integrity and duty. Strength and determination. Buffy doesn't have a tenth of the determination or the integrity I've seen in Faith today. Knowing the price was her death, she STILL paid it. That's what a fuckin' Slayer does.”

Meanwhile as Robin was squared off against Giles, Xander had eased away from Angel's embrace, his eyes burning as the Protector came to the foreground. It's eyes glowed with a warm, soft light as it looked down at Faith's bruised and battered face. “Wild. Impetuous. Headstrong. Such a strong will...and one I would be loathe to see it depart this world...” it murmured softly, it's eyes intent.

//Faith’s face was a study in shocked surprise as the mist parted and she saw her sister Slayers standing before her. And she spun around in a ecstatic circle with a loud scream of glee. //

//“Oh fuck me! Goddamn! You mean I made it to Slayer's Heaven?! Bitchin'! Oops! Sorry, forgot where I was! But man, dis what I'm talkin' 'bout! Damn!” And she yelled again in sheer happiness, causing the others to laugh at their younger sister's display. Then their smiles faded a bit as their attention drifted over her shoulder.//

//And Faith stiffened as she saw the direction their attention was. “Awww, fuck! Shit! I knew it was too good to be true. I'm goin' downtown, huh? Where the weather is hot all year long?!” She sighed in regret, but at least down there she'll still have a job. She hoped.//

//She turned around, blinking in dismay at the sight of the Protector. “Don't tell me you're supposed to take me there?”//

//“Not precisely. Rather, I have a proposition for you...” It began to speak calmly. At first, Faith's expression was doubtful, then slowly wicked glee danced in her eyes before she began laughing heartily. She agreed and the Protector disappeared.//

“I am quite aware that Buffy has her share of faults,” Giles' voice was extremely haughty as he was put on the defensive by looks of contempt and derision in the other's eyes. He gave a hostile look to Willow, furious that she made no attempt to defend his Slayer.

“Yeah, and being a fuckin' prima donna is one of her biggest,” came a hoarse voice.

“FAITH?!” Was screamed from several throats with two voices raised in angry disbelief.

“Yep, in the flesh,” quipped the dark-haired slayer as Xander helped her sit up, before passing her to Angel. “Yo B, looks like you ain't got a monopoly on coming back from the dead!”

“How? I mean...why?” Giles stammered out, looking at the Protector's coolly blazing eyes.

“Yeah, I thought with Faith being dead and all, that I was gonna be the only Slayer. I was here first!” Buffy screeched then hastily tried to modify her tone of voice when those white eyes drifted over to her.

“You know, I never really contemplated having you remain as the only Slayer,” the Protector stated calmly, its eyes a little thoughtful as it regarded the blonde Slayer.

“I beg your graciousness pardon, but don't you think you should consider it...now?” Giles ground out, his hands clenching slowly into tight angry fists at his side.

“You misunderstand my words. Whether Faith lived or died, your Slayer was NOT going to remain a Slayer once the battle was over.”

Giles froze, his mouth dropping open in astonishment. And Wesley slowly turned to gaze at the Protector in awed silence.

“Y...y...you can't do that,” Giles stuttered out, backing away from the Protector with slow steps. As did Buffy once the meaning of it's words filtered through her mind.

“I fail to see why not. It's my power. And if I choose to take it back from her, who in this room can or will stop me?” It raised a brow, skepticism etched all over it's face.

And while Cordy snickered, still her eyes were dark and uneasy as she regarded Xander. Not being stupid, she knew that he had to have known.

“Think past the confusion that clouds your mind, little girl,” Ethan whispered harshly to her. “The Protector undertook the risk of it's daughters, what was Xander willing to risk to insure the safety of this world? This is no game it is playing, and our young friend must be taught that now before it is too late. And someday the price he pays to protect this world, our world may be your life, or any of his friends lives. Willingly or unwillingly, that's his responsibility and duty. He cannot afford to allow sentiment or love to sway him from making such a decision.” The Chaos mage watched the young girl with cold relentless eyes, trying to drum what he had said into her very fiber.

Cordy shivered and nodded slowly. She turned and looked at Xander with fresh eyes, and shuddered at what he was going to have to go through.

Meanwhile, the Protector was continuing it's dispassionate reply to Giles' question. “Furthermore, had you maintained your regard as her Watcher, I do not believe this step would have been necessary. However, you chose to ignore Buffy's behavior. In fact, at every turn you've passively encouraged many of her more disreputable habits in an effort to keep her dependent on you. Her volatile temper, her disrespect for authority and her extraordinary disdain for learning how to be a true Slayer. Turning to you constantly for guidance and answers, when these are the very things that you should have been teaching her to look within herself.”

The energy being surveyed the furious Watcher for a few moments, then spoke. And it's voice was like a cold icy wind. “The duties of a Watcher are as sacred as is the calling of a Slayer. It can almost be equaled in terms of a Parent/Child relationship. A parent teaches and counsels their child, admonishes the child, showing them the proper way to adulthood. Helping that child to grow with all the necessary tools it needs to take its' proper place in society.”

“I did what I thought was necessary,” Giles ground out, his eyes defiant as he glared about him.

“You are correct. You did what you thought was necessary...for you. To maintain your power. And you are sadly mistaken if you think I will allow this travesty to continue any longer.”

Its hand began to glow as it finished speaking.

“WAIT!” Angel shouted out desperately, grabbing at the Protector's hand.

Buffy closed her eyes, trembling with relief. She knew it! Angel would never let her get hurt. He still loved her! She gave a contemptuous look at the angry people.

Everyone looked at Angel in disbelief, even the energy being. “Surely you're not proposing to protect her?!”

“Get out...” Angel snorted. “What I want to do is beat the living shit out of her while she's at full Slayer strength.” And pure Angelus was in the sweet, angelic smile he gave Buffy.

The blonde Slayer tried to run and was hit square in the back when she attempted to flee. But rolling to her feet, she slammed a foot in Angel's gut, doubling him over. However, he recovered swiftly and moved like lightning towards Buffy. He spun and kicked her in her face and Buffy staggered back. But unlike Angel, she hadn't been in a brutal fight for her life. She was as fresh and in full possession of her strength.

She planted a roundhouse kick into her former boyfriend's face. A blow he only flinched slightly from. She swung at him again, this time with a closed fist, but Angel sidestepped the blow. Buffy attempted another punch, and he grabbed her arm. The vampire swung her around and threw her into the metal weapons' cage. Buffy hit it high and hard, both she and it making a high screeching sound. And Giles winced in sympathetic pain. Buffy fell to the ground, but quickly scrambled to her feet, her eyes grimly intent on either beating Angel or simply killing him.

Angel swung at her again but hit the metal door with his fist when the blonde Slayer ducked his punch. Buffy blocked the vampire's punch and held on to his arm, tossing a vicious grin over her shoulder at the others rooting for Angel.

“Hit her again, Angel!” Cordy screamed, her eyes alight with passionate intensity.

Buffy punched the vampire in his face again and again, slamming a solid right then to his chest, expecting her blow to drop him to the ground. But Angel was fighting for more than just his unlife. He was finally able to let out all the rage and hatred he felt for his erstwhile ex-lover for all the pain she had caused Xander. He was finally able to champion his mate's honor. It was all well and good to let his boy take care of himself, and he was certainly proud of Xander. But still it chaffed at him, to sit back idly, watching as his lover made one difficult decision after another.

And using moves unseen in centuries, Angel got loose from Buffy and landed a punch onto her surprised face. She went spinning down to the ground and laid there, momentarily stunned. The vampire loomed over her, then bent down to get her only to receive a brutal kick in his face. Angel staggered backward as Buffy vaulted to her feet, just barely ducking a roundhouse kick from her. Then they faced each other once again, ignoring the cheering, shouting people.

The fragile looking blonde felt the taste of bitter ashes in her mouth at the grim, hateful look on Angel's face. In his golden glare at the sight of her. She felt her fury raging almost out of control at the bleeding contempt in his eyes. Eyes that used to look at her with so much love and longing. Eyes that now looked at Xander, but with a difference. There was also fierce pride in the gaze Angel gave Xander. Like what was so special about HIM? If it wasn't for that damn Protector protecting Xander, that stupid boy would be back to being nothing.

She leapt at Angel, her body moving with sleek deadly grace. And they danced. Trading increasingly vicious blows. Then in a surprising move, Buffy pulled a stake from a hidden pocket and thrust it at Angel, but he caught her arm and held it up, backhanding her across the face with his other, his hand clenched into a fist. Angel followed his move up with a sidekick to Buffy's face, breaking her nose and sending her stumbling back into the wall.

“Enough...” the Protector stated mildly as Angel started towards Buffy. “Enough...” it repeated quietly.

Buffy had time for a brief vicious tired smirk before she was caught in the grips of a powerful force. Then she rose into the air, screaming imprecations and lurid curses on their heads, what she would do to them once she was free.

An uncaged Oz bounced and rocked excitedly at the end of his leash. Clawing at his muzzled snout with clumsy paws, and whining. Dru squatted and looked at him sympathetically. “Poor lil' puppy, all locked up. Mommy's sweet lil' wolfie, wantin' to growl and snarl but he can't. Bad puppy, mouth shut tight, tight. Grrrr...can't speak, can't howl.”

And smiling, with madness swimming vigorously in her eyes, she removed the muzzle. Laughing as her puppy yelped and howled at the sight of a screaming Buffy suspended in the air like a balloon.

Buffy screamed in sudden pain, tears springing to her eyes at the immense agony radiating from her bones...her soul. She felt like she was being twisted and squeezed like a washcloth. Something was pouring out of her and she couldn't stop it, she couldn't fight it. All she could do was yell as agony scoured her spirit. Her soul.

The others looked on in fascinated, horrified awe. Flinching with each anguished cry of pain from Buffy. Willow had a hand to her mouth, weeping in sympathetic pain; Giles' face was harsh and grim as he watched, no visible emotion in his eyes as the Slayer that he invested so much of himself was stripped of her powers.

And Ethan watched Giles with cold, vicious satisfaction in his eyes. Everything he had bargained for was almost coming to pass. Only one more thing was left to do. His eyes glowed with luminous intensity, causing Spike to look questioningly at his lover. At the nasty little smirk on the Chaos mage's face, the vampire glanced at the senior Watcher in icy amusement. 'Bloody wanker!' was his silent, damning condemnation.

Protector closed his hand abruptly. It was done. Things were back to the way it intended. One active Slayer in existence.

Buffy fell to the ground with an audible thump and internally Xander winced with a pained expression. And with a resigned sigh, Protector gave in to the waves of worry from its host and its' hand opened again. Buffy whimpered, her eyes fearful and desperate. And with shaky limbs, she tried to scrabble away. Grunting as energy pulsed softly through her. But this time, revitalizing her.

Easily she rose to her feet looking around at the somber faces and laughed, feeling strength coursing through her. Recharging her. “So, wasn't so easy to take the power back, huh?”

With a raised brow, the Protector simply looked at her. “Actually, it was surprisingly easy. What you feel right now is what your normal human strength would feel like. You are no longer a Slayer.”

Then while Buffy was goggling at those words, the energy being turned to Cordy, effectively disowning the blonde girl. “Cordelia, while I cannot make you a Slayer, I was wondering if perhaps you would care to have a portion of the strength and power without the added onus of being a Slayer?”

Buffy gasped, her eyes turning wide in astonished fury as the truth of Protector's words settled in her soul. She looked with desperate eyes to Giles. He would help her, he always had before. He merely shook his head warningly at her, urging her to remain silent.

Cordy hesitated then she began speaking slowly, picking her words with care as she struggled on how to express her thoughts and feelings. “You know, I usta wonder how it would feel to have that kinda power, but watching her,”....the contempt and derision in her voice left no doubt as to the 'her' she was referring to.“...I mean, other than the super strength what good did it do her? For a while she was good and did her job, but somewhere along the line, she starting going bad. You know, like when you have those beauty sponges for makeup...at first it's all clean and white. Then you add a little bit of makeup, smudging the sponge. And every time you use it, you have to add just a little bit more makeup to it, so by the time you finally have to throw it out, the sponge is all brown and yucky.”

At the uncomprehending, blank looks on their faces, she sighed. “No, I think I'll stick to just being an ordinary human. At least when I take advantage of people, and I know I will, it'll just be me...being a bitch.”

Protector's eyes glowed brightly. “You are much wiser than you look.”

“Thanks...” Cordy responded brightly with a smirk at everyone. Then it faded as her brain deciphered its words. “Hey, there was an insult in that remark.”

“I know, Xander's been teaching me...” it replied smugly. Its' eyes glowed even brighter at the groans that remark brought.

“What about us? What are we to do now that you've stripped Buffy of her powers?” Giles asked bitterly.

“Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn,” Protector smoothly answered.

There was stunned silence.

Then first Cordy, followed by Faith began to laugh and soon after Angel removed his chortling family from the Library. Leaving behind one venomous girl, a shaken Willow and one glacial Watcher watching their departure. And two pair of eyes promising vengeance against the circle of friends.




Chapter 10

Later that night, Angel after reducing Xander to a limp body of pure satisfaction, eyed the satiated face of his lover with a slow smile. “Is it over...?” he asked softly. He gently stroked his lover's hair away from the flushed panting face.

“If you're talking about sex, then that'll be a HELL NO!” the younger man said firmly, though the effect was somewhat ruined by his ragged gasps for breath.

“Wiseass...” the vampire said affectionately. “I'm talking about Buffy and the rest.” He waited with unnerving patience for the answer. Though it really didn't matter one way or the other what Xander said, he was still going to have a little 'talk' with his lover's parents.

The young man in his arms stiffened then relaxed. “Yeah, except for the fat lady...it's almost over.” Xander muttered almost too softly for Angel to hear, but still, vampires have very good hearing.

“Good...that's good.” Angel's voice dropped to soft murmur as he slowly stroked his mate to a state of peaceful slumber. But his easy movement at odds with the vindictive light taking shape in his eyes. And the cold light of retribution was in his deadly smile.

An hour later he rose carefully from the bed and headed for the bathroom for a quick shower. Then heading back into the room and using all the vampire stealth at his command, he dressed hurriedly before making his way out of the bedroom. Unaware of a pair of white, glowing eyes peeking at him from under half-closed lids.

Jogging easily down the stairs and whistling a casual Irish tune, Angel came to a brief stop at the sight of Spike leaning against the main doors.

“Was wonderin' when you were gonna show up,” the blonde said irritably, with a flashing blue-eyed glare at the older vampire.

Angel came down the rest of the stairs, the surprise on his face faded to a quizzical expression. “Spike, what the hell are you doing up?”

“Waitin' for your lardarse...” the other vampire grumbled. “Hadda leave me warm bed with Ethan and Dru still asleep ta come with this bloomin' idiot,” Spike groused softly.

“Come with me?”

And Spike gave the older vampire an amused smirk. “Pull the other one...I seen that look in yer eyes too fuckin' many times...Angelus.”

Slowly the other smiled. “Not Angelus, dear boy.” And as he purred the words, a cold dangerous darkness took shape in his eyes. It almost made the other vampire step back in remembered fear. “But I sure as hell ain't quite as 'good' as I used to be.”

Spike shivered in remembered pleasure at the vicious look in his grandsire's eyes. “This should be interestin'.” And he followed the older vampire out the door.


And for three nights they skulked around the Harris' house.

Leaving 'presents' for the older couple.

Expressing their wordless admiration in elegant, hand-written notes for Mr. and Mrs. Harris.

Day two...Early one morning, sitting innocently on the Harris' doorstep was a beautifully wrapped gift. A cream colored envelope was simply addressed: To the Harris'.

But the box...ohhhhh, the box just screamed the giver spent a lot, like buckets of cash and thought in selecting not only the wrapping paper, but the ribbon as well. And the bow, ohhh how Mary Harris gaped in slack jawed wonder at the ornately crafted bow. Even they, with minds dulled by repeated applications of cheap liquor, recognized that the bow and the box were masterpieces of exquisite, creative designs.

And when Peter Harris brought the gift inside he was so awed and humbled by the beautiful creation that he just stood there, staring at it on the kitchen table. They both did. Then Mary and Peter gazed around at the faded wallpaper in their kitchen, feeling shamed to their core. The wrapped present only seemed to emphasize just how shabby and worn this room...their very lives had become.

So, at first Peter was hesitant to mar the ornamental beauty of the gift by opening the box. Deciding to defer unwrapping the box in favor of reading the hand-written note tucked discretely in the ribbon.

A frown of confusion twisted his face when he pulled the ivory card out. All that was on it was a few words...'Just a little something for you both to express my feelings' and it was simply signed 'Angel'. Who the fuck was Angel? He showed the card to Mary, but she mutely shook her head. She never heard of Angel either.

As Peter eyed the box, a look of greed began flickering to life in his eyes as he mentally began calculating just how much wrapping the box alone added up to. Then he grabbed a knife and began cutting first the fabric ribbon, then the cloth wrapping until finally the box was revealed. Mary stood eagerly by his side as he, with trembling hands, opened the box....

...breaking the spell that Ethan had cleverly settled on the box. When the box was opened, it showered foul smelling dog feces and pungent cat piss all over the room and the humans as well. The lurid, vicious curses that raged in the room would have brought brilliant smiles to both the devilish vampires had they been able to withstand sunlight. But they could imagine.

It put Peter Harris in an even fouler mood to start his day. He had to take two showers just to remove the odor and sense of uncleanliness as well as brush his teeth again. Though he was maliciously gleeful that Mary had to wait for the bathroom and she had to clean up the mess. And by the time he arrived to work, he was over an hour late. Which did not please his boss. Who expressed his supreme displeasure very loudly, very publicly, thereby increasing Peter's already nasty mood.

As for Mary Harris, she cursed Peter with vicious intensity while she cleaned the kitchen of the mess. In between answering the phone, and growing more and more pissed at the hangups, interrupting her cleaning. Finally she was finished, and she headed upstairs and took a long, refreshing shower at 12 pm. Coming back down, she slumped on the couch in the living room, completely exhausted.

Then the phone ring.

A soft, sweet voice whispered, “Here comes a candle to light you to bed; here comes the chopper to chop off your head." There was a titter of merry laughter then the *click* as whoever hung up the phone. Mary dropped the phone in it's cradle, her brows contracting in a puzzled frown.

And throughout that day, it rang.

“Remember, remember the day of screams, treason and blood. Dadde will never forget the Dark Kitten's screams and blood. He's comin' for you.” *Click*

“Rings around the rosies, pockets full of posies, ashes, ashes, YOU ALL FALL DOWN!” *Click*

“Two dead mice, see how they lay; they died 'cause daddy hated them, he cut off their heads with a big carving knife. Did you ever see such a sight in your life, as two dead mice?” *Click*

“Georgie Porgie, puddin' and pie, beat the boy and made him cry. When daddee came out and saw, daddee broke Georgie's jaw...poor little Georgie...” *Click*

By the eighth call Mrs. Harris was past being angry and belligerent. Now she was seriously contemplating stepping into panic and terror. She had stopped answering the phone, and sat chain smoking nervously in the kitchen. Each time the phone rang, she flinched and poured herself another drink with a trembling hand while eyeing the phone with dark suspicious eyes. And as she raised the glass in her shaking hand to take a drink, it made a near audible clinking sound as it vibrated on her teeth. If she didn't pick up the phone, the call went into the answering machine. There was a slight pause, then *click* as the caller hung up.

All without saying a word. It was only when SHE picked up the phone would someone, something would start singing those crazy songs. And the laughter that followed the taunting, singsong rhymes. Although it had been years since she had last seen one of those fuckin' horror movies, she knew crazy, demented, insane scientist laughter when she heard it. And whoever that bitch was that was calling was seriously fucked up in the head.

And by the time Peter Harris returned home, she was passed out in a drunken stupor on the kitchen floor. Shrugging in contempt, he stepped over her to grab himself a couple of beers before settling on the couch to watch TV.


Dru had such fun terrorizing her Dark Kitten's, mumsy. But it was a secret that she mustn't tell him. “I'll never tell,” was said in a singsong as she danced around the mansion. Xander gave her a puzzled glance, then looked curiously at Ethan. The older man shrugged and gently restrained his beautiful lady's movements.

She gave Ethan a bright innocent smile and started dancing with him. “Little Bo-Peep has lost her sleep, but we know where to find YOU.” Ethan felt a dark quiver at her words. And he didn't know whether to laugh or drag her back upstairs to their bedroom. She was such a little monster, he thought fondly and swept his mad beauty gracefully around the living room.

“Is it just me, or does Dru's craziness seem to be getting contagious?” Faith murmured to Xander as they watched the swaying couple.

“For the sake of my sanity, I'm going to go with it's just you,” Xander said firmly and hastily left the room.

On day two, Mr. Harris came out to his car and opened the door. He immediately vomited all over himself at the ripe smell within. Through tearing eyes, he abruptly noticed that the inside of his car was smeared with a foul smelling paste.

Deep into the still of night, Angel had smeared the interior of the car with the saliva of Aniy demon. Initially it produced a pleasant, fruity smell; however, if not washed off quickly, after a few hours the stench of an Aniy demon's spit could and would reach epic, stomach turning proportions.

“Little Miss Muffet sat on her tuffet, eating her curds and wheys. Along came the ghosts, along came the ghoulies...all came out to play.” *Click*

“Mary Ann Cotton, she's a liar and rotten. She lies in her bed soon to be dead.” *Click*

“Just you wait 'til it's your time, Haarmann will come after you, with his chopper, oh so fine, he'll make mincemeat out of you.” *Click*

In the dark hours of the morning, Mary Harris stumbled up the stairs to the bedroom. Her lip curled in disgust at the sight of Peter sprawled all over the bed, snoring. And grabbing a nightgown, Mary shucked off her clothes and blinking sleepily she lurched to the bed. Then she became still, her foot frozen in the illusion of walking. Her eyes widening at the sound of singing coming from outside. With dread growing in her heart, Mary walked hesitantly to the window and drew back the curtains. And for a few seconds she regarded the outside with puzzled eyes.

Okay, admittedly, there was the porch roof running the length of the front and a little bit of the side of the house but still...

...and she whimpered at the sight of a young, incredibly pale dark-haired girl.

Sitting just outside the bedroom window.

On the rooftop.

Outside of my bedroom window.

And that one implausible reality kept circling around in Mary's dazed mind.

“I have a new daddee, he let me have a puppy,” the girl said confidentially, turning wide, innocent eyes on her. “All my other pets stopped moving, but this one will play with me forever and ever. Daddy White-eyes said so!”

“Th...th...that's good,” Mary stammered out, her eyes wide with shock. She was willing to do anything, or say anything to get that disturbing gaze off of her. And she relaxed slightly when the girl turned that disquieting gaze away.

“Star light, star bright won't you come out to play...” the girl softly chanted. Then turned to Mary again. “I have a secret...do you want to hear?” She whispered as she leaned towards Mary conspiratorially. And while her mind screamed 'NO!', to her horror Mary found herself leaning forward, drawn to the young woman by some dreaded fascination.

“I see dead people...”

Mary swallowed heavily, then began backing away from the insane child. Because that's what the girl was, fuckin' nuts! But when a terrifying change rippled across the girl's beautiful face, turning it into some kinda inhuman feature, Mary froze. A feeling of paralysis coming over her as golden eyes glared at her while pink lips were curled upwards in a smile, revealing a mouth full of jagged teeth. Very, very sharp, jagged teeth.

My, what sharp teeth you have, Mary thought hysterically.

“Like daddee...”

And that...that...creature prowled closer to the window in the most fluid, predatory way imaginable with those wide, disturbingly hungry eyes fixed on her. Making her feel like dinner for some kind of rabid, starving wolf.

“...and like me!” The thing lunged forward with wide snapping jaws and all Mary could see was long vicious teeth. So she closed her eyes and began screaming, her voice piercing the night like an air raid siren.

But by the time Peter stumbled out of bed, all he saw was a screaming Mary and the curtains blowing in the wind. And growling irritably, he backhanded her for disturbing his rest. Which snapped her out of her fear induced paralysis and the woman instantly was able to channel her terror into aggression. Handily, Peter had handed her the means of doing so by hitting her. This led them naturally to a fighting, screaming match.

Blowing away the nightmarish vision she had imagined on the rooftop.

After it was all over, Mary laid in the bed beside her snoring husband. Her face and body aching from his fists, but she was at peace. She snorted to herself in self-contempt.

You stupid, dumb bitch! Getting yourself all scared because of some dumbass, little shithead playing games on the phone, she sneered at herself. Letting a couple of punk ass kids get to you, you stupid idiot. Then you start imagining things.

Mary chuckled as she rolled over in bed, absently smacking Peter to stop his snoring. Then she froze, her heart racing in her chest as an eerie voice began softly singing.

“Lullabye and goodnight, the stars shine so bright, we'll creep in your house and torture your spouse; I'll bite your neck, drink your blood so red, and like me you'll be dead. But no Turning just DEAD!”

And silent tears began flowing down Mary's face.

Dru smiled slowly, her luminous golden eyes half-closed as she sat on the rooftop, her back pressed against the chimney stack, singing a lullabye for her Dark Kitten's mummy.


By the night of her third day of terror, Mary was jumping and twitching at every little noise she heard outside the house. But it was unfamiliar noise INSIDE the house that had her darting into a corner and cowering with a butcher's knife clutched in one tight fist.

Just waiting.

She knew in her bones that something was coming for her and Peter...and it wasn't going to be pretty.


As for Angel and Spike, day three was their crowning moment. The older vampire knew Peter Harris' routine by heart. Afterall, he had been stalking the man since they had arrived back in Sunnydale. Angel had laid the groundwork by establishing himself at the local watering hole by outdrinking the local inhabitants. Every now and then, buying a round of drinks. And using his almost forgotten Irish accent he was smoothly ingratiating himself with the drunken sots as a good ole boy. Loudly declaiming his worth as 'A Man' and shouting about the evils of his boss. And he waited with cold patience for his chance to go 'Angelus' on Xander's father.

Though he nearly gave his mate an early heart attack that first night by getting into the bed reeking of alcohol. Had it not been so tragic, it would have been funny at just how fast Xander rolled out of bed. Finally coming to a terrified halt against the wall. And Angel found himself summarily banished to the bathroom shower until he no longer reeked of liquor. He had to take three showers before he could coax his trembling boy back into their bed. And even then, he could still feel Xander's heart racing and the limber body tense and unyielding against his own.

After that, Angel made sure that he was as alcohol-free as possible. Smelling faintly of alcohol didn't trigger Xander's defense mechanisms, but reeking certainly brought out the white-eyed Protector in his young lover in a hurry.

But it was all worth it, Angel thought in icy satisfaction as he surreptitiously studied an inebriated Peter Harris. He and Spike trailed Peter to the local bar when Angel decided the time was ripe to put an end to both Ma and Pop Harris. And taking seats next to the man, they struck up a seemingly casual conversation with him, slowly progressing to buying him one drink a piece.

Peter didn't suspect much, having seen the Irish guy in the bar frequently in the past week. Liam was always good for a drink and some kinda bullshit story. By the end of their drinkfest, they played the part of a pair of drunken men easily as Peter. Declaring themselves completely 'shitfaced'. And out of money.

And swaying from side to side, Angel extracted an ATM card. Crowing with triumph, he and Spike leered drunkenly at Peter asking him if he wanted to join them. But Peter Harris, even drunk, was NOT that big of an idiot or a fool. Sober, he knew damn well that something other than 'gangs hopped up on PCP' were the cause of the high number of 'incidents' in Sunnydale. However, both Spike and Angel had centuries worth of experience in luring and beguiling unsuspecting victims to a sometimes violent and bloody end.

So with gruff enthusiasm, Peter stumbled down the street with two of the deadliest predators walking the earth. Once they had money, and had visited the nearest local liquor store Angel began the final stage of the senior Harris' lives. With well played besotted camaraderie, Angel even managed to convince the human to invite them into his home.

“Get up, ya lazy bitch!” Peter shouted, his face turning even redder at the humiliating sight of his wife sitting in a corner. And him with friends right behind him! Indignation rising in him, he started for her in a rage, momentarily forgetting his guests.

But before he could get far, he felt an iron grip on his shoulder, spinning him around. At about that time, Mary started screaming shrilly. Peter saw a pale streak flash by him then his wife's cries abruptly cut off.

“Now, now, none of that luv,” Spike murmured to the woman. His face shifted and he grabbed her arm when she swung at him, then grabbed her by the throat.

However, most of Peter's attention was on a demonic face and a pair of frozen eyes glaring at him. Where the hell was Liam? he thought confusedly. Then he thought nothing as a fist slammed into his temple. And seeing this, Mary felt tears flood her eyes...they were gonna DIE!

“Don't kill her...” Angel called over to Spike, who was leaning in for the kill. “At least not yet,” he tacked on at the blonde's irritated glance.

“Yer always spoiling me fun,” the younger vampire grumbled. But he released the woman, letting her drop contemptuously on the floor. And Mary lay gasping on the floor, watching the two...two...creatures with wide terrified eyes.

Angel snorted. “My boy, I've taught you many things over the years. But I don't think I've taught you Revenge.”

“Is this somtin' like torturing humans?” He asked with a skeptical look.

“Sorta...but better.”

Spike's eyes widened. And pure evil delight glowed softly in his eyes as he shifted back into his human guise. “And me without a bottle of bubbly...”

They began to laugh when Mary began pleading for her life. Begging them to kill her husband, anything...just let her go. Her broken words of promises growing increasingly wilder the longer they ignored her. Then Angel hefted Peter's bulk over his shoulder and carried the unconscious, drunken man away. And Mary began screaming hysterically as the blonde man approached her. She began trying to madly scrambled away from the terrifying creature.

At first Spike watched her entertaining spastic movements to escape with malicious glee. But it was quickly becoming so 'carbon dated' as Cordy would call it.

“Bored now...” The blonde punched the woman in the temple, finally get bit of quiet. Grabbing the woman, he threw her over his shoulder and headed in the direction Angel had taken.

And working swiftly, the two vampires had the Harris' all nicely tied up. Most important of all, the basement safely protected against the those nasty rays of the sun.


Peter opened his eyes groggily, frowning then wincing at the sharp stab of pain in his head. Groaning softly, he blinked rapidly as his blurry vision slowly began to sharpen. Objects, shapes coming into focus and finally recognizing that he was in his basement.

His heart leaped in fear as his eyes settled on a large dark body, terrified that the insane looking creature that had punched him was still here. Then he relaxed, identifying Liam's pale sleeping features in the gloom. His mouth opened, to call to his friend when he happened to look down, finally paying attention to a feeling of tightness around his wrists. And a slight inhalation of shock escaped him at the sight of ropes wrapped around his limbs.

“Ahhh, I see that our gracious hosts are awake,” came a drawling voice. Peter looked up, his mouth shutting abruptly as Liam pushed up from his chair.

“L...L...Liam...” Peter stammered out, staring with wide eyes as his friend strolled closer. Lazy, nonchalance menace was in every move the other made. The human's eyes darted over to Spike, also prowling closer. And with a feeling of shock, he realized that that was how Liam was moving...prowling like some kinda animal. So, if that was the case then where were their prey? And staring up at the two, he had a horrible sinking feeling that he knew.

And while he was thinking, Mary came too. The instinctive feeling of danger had her eyes rapidly clearing and focusing on what was coming towards her. With sharp clarity she recognized Spike and began screaming, her voice getting progressively wilder when she found herself bound to the chair she was sitting in.

“Will ya shut the fuck up, ya stupid lazy cow!” Peter blasted out as he turned his head towards her. And when he turned back, he bit back a scream of his own at the sight of the molten golden eyes on Spike and Liam's faces.

“What the fuck...?”

“We're not fucks...we're vampires,” Spike quipped with snarky cheer. Then assuming a stern expression he intoned solemnly, “You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be misquoted and used against you.”

“Spike...” Angel half-sighed/growled, though he did have a faint smile on his lips.

“Spoilsport...” Spike grumbled, a sulky look on his face as he subside. Then brightening, he sidled over to Mary, his eyes glittering with malevolent enthusiasm. “Can I kill her now?”

“NO! Spike, Spike, Spike...it's Revenge that we're after, remember. So when you do Revenge, you gotta do it real slow while telling them WHY you're doing it. Makes it all that more painful. So let them scream, cry and beg for their worthless lives. Then we really torture them and after that, *then* we Kill. I know it's a fine line, but you have the basics down. We just need to refine them a little bit,” Angel instructed patiently. Then looking at Peter, he confided, “Childer today are just so impatient. Always rushing the kill.”

Mary resumed screaming, her scream choked off by Angel's silky voice. “My dear woman, you don't have any reason to scream...yet.” He purred with sleek, urbane menace. Then his face shifted into demon mode. “However, I can be persuaded to change my mind.”

“B...bu...but why? I'm mean, we were drinking buddies! I ain't never did nothin' to you!” Peter protested, struggling to understand what was going on.

Spike snorted, his eyes glacially amused. “It ain't what you did to HIM,” he said, jerking a thumb at the icily composed face of Angel, “It's what ya did ta his mate. Ya touched his mate, is why yer gonna die.”

Mary’s eyes widened in shock and anger. “Damn you Peter, you couldn't keep your damn zipper closed for once in ya life, you fuckin' dumbass!”

But Peter shook his head vigorously in denial, his eyes wide in fright. “I swear to God I didn't touch her! The only woman I've been fuckin' is this bitch and that piece of ass down at the bar!” he stridently yelled, jerking his head at his infuriated wife.

And they began a screaming shouting match of vicious, name calling. Abruptly recalled to their surroundings when the two vampires smiled slowly, razor sharp teeth gleaming with menace.

“Who ever said my mate was a female?” Angel smirked nastily.

And for the few seconds after the words filtered through his mind, Peter's expression reflected all the revulsion and contempt he felt. Then his survival instincts kicked in and he smiled desperately at the two vampires, stinking with fear. “Liam, I swear I didn't TOUCH your mate. Even if I knew who he was, I wouldna touched him! I'm straight! I tell ya, I ain't no fuckin' queer. Not that being a flamer is a bad thing. I got a couple of friends that are fags.” He switched his wide, fearful gaze between the two vampires. His tremors of terror increasing at the stifled look of malicious amusement on Spike's face.

“So, tell me Peter...how does it feel to be so fuckin' scared that you're about to piss in your pants?” Angel said conversationally. He strolled back to his chair and picked up a large black bag and returned to a position just in front of the terrified human. “Oh, and by the way, please call me Angel,” the vampire added.

Mary moaned low in her throat at that name, remembering the beautifully wrapped present that had been left on their doorstep. She began trying to scoot her chair backwards when he opened the bag and began removing sharp, gleaming knives.

Then something caught the two vampires attention and their heads lifted alertly, slightly cocked to the side.

Then they froze.

And Mary and Peter froze as well. Their bodies slumping in relief at hearing footsteps above. Taking a chance, their eyes on the motionless vampires, they both began screaming for help at the top of their lungs. Hoping and praying that whoever came down the stairs would suit the vampires much better than they...


Early that morning, a grumbling Xander stumbled out of bed. And his face twisted in a sour expression, his lower lip poking sulkily at the extreme lack of vampire lover in bed. This carousing at all hours had to stop...then he grinned, ten points for me for using 'carousing' in a sentence!

Then he quickly wiped away his grin and continued practicing his stern speech for Angel. Not that he thought his vampire honey was gonna listen. A less tolerant person would say that Angel had a certain flexible quality that was curiously...not. But not him. Never him. No one would ever hear him say Angel was being uncompromising and or even stubborn. Fortunately nobody around here was a mindreader.

After showering and dressing, Xander headed downstairs. Thankfully, Ethan and Wes were already up and about, and had breakfast ready. Which was a good thing, Xander thought as he grabbed a piece of toast and sausage when Cordy honked impatiently outside. Otherwise, neither he or Faith would ever have a morning meal.

* * *

He, Faith and Cordy made it into school a few minutes before First Bell, with him sliding into his class and quickly taking his seat. And despite Buffy's gimlet stare that was clearly designed to bore a hole through his skull, he maintained a serene smile. Which he knew was bugging the shit out of her. But she couldn't do a thing to him other than glare at him, especially since Mrs. Thomas was darting confused looks between him and the Buffster.

And at their History teacher's resigned look, he could tell Mrs. Thomas had given up on making heads or tails out of what was going on. When she turned her back and began writing on the board, Xander immediately turned and made a horrible face at Buffy.

Some of the class, aware of the trouble between the two, began snickering. Their laughter growing at the dumbfound look that settled on Buffy's face then the furious rage that twisted her face. And by the time Mrs. Thomas whirled around, Buffy was on her feet glaring daggers at Xander's studiously bent head.

“Buffy, is there a problem?” Marlene Thomas asked, her eyes narrowing sternly on the furious young woman. And behind her composed teacher's mask, she silently groaned. While it was very unteacherlike, there was always something about the tiny blonde girl that she positively detested! Every time she saw Buffy, her hand itched to slap that haughty superior-than-thou look off the child's face.

And shaken by the virulence of her thoughts, Marlene missed part of what Buffy was saying.

“...me,” Buffy had a dark glower on her face as she glared hatefully at Xander. Goddamn little fucking bastard! She knew he was behind all those late night visits that Angel had been paying her and Giles. Trying to scare HER! Not that she would admit it, but deep down inside, where no one could see...she was just about to shit in her pants.

There was a time when the creatures of the night feared her, a time when she reveled in the dark. She shuddered slightly, nowadays, all she could think about was the terrors the nighttime held for her. She hardly dared to venture outside after dark. And especially not to the Bronze. No telling when Angel or the rest of them would decide to snatch her from the streets. Besides, from all reports from the other kids in the school, Cordy, Faith and Xander absolutely ruled the Bronze these days. And the heat in her glare double, tripled at Xander.

Marlene shook her head. Her eyes touched on Xander's polite, questioning face for half a second before she fixed her gaze back on her blonde student. But her lips twitched. She had a sneaking idea why Buffy was so 'pissed'. Previous experience with Xander enabled her to recognize the dark, mischievous look glittering in the boy's eyes.

Though while a bit puzzled, even she had heard the rumors of a falling out between the Diabolical Trio as some of the teachers had privately taken to calling Willow, Buffy and Xander. Out of Rupert Giles' earshot, of course. That man had a most shocking, low tolerance for anyone questioning the dubious value of one Buffy Summers.

And opinion was somewhat evenly split over whether Buffy was responsible for their behavior or were Xander and Willow to blame for corrupting her. What had finally ended the vehement arguing was a point smugly presented that Buffy HAD burned down her previous school. That succinct point had abruptly silenced many of Buffy's strongest supporters.

Marlene rubbed her temples wearily. She really didn't need or want to deal with this first thing in the morning. Was being a teacher really worth all the aggravation? Of trying to deal with a couple of troublemakers so early in the school year?

“Buffy, please sit down and address your attention to the work at hand,” she sighed as she half-turned back to the board.

“NO! He...”

And abruptly Marlene lit into a harsh rage. She spun around so fast that the kids in the front row leaned back, trying to put as much distance between the furious, suddenly terrifying woman in front of them as possible.

“I SAID SIT DOWN!” The older woman bellowed, her eyes cold and hard as she glared into Buffy's shocked face. And an astonished silence descended on the room and every student watched Marlene with wary, fascinated attention.

“Young lady, despite what you may think, this is MY classroom. I am the teacher and YOU are the student. And you are sadly mistaken if you think I will allow you to disrupt my class for one minute longer than you have already. Now you have two choices: you can sit down, open your book and close your mouth...or you may walk out of that door and straight to Principal Wood,” Marlene grated out in the shocking silence of the room. Then she eyeballed the startled and horribly embarrassed girl until Buffy meekly sat back down.

Drunk with power, she was enormously gratified at the avid attention the children focused on her. She was on a roll and Marlene smiled at the room at large, making the students shudder in fear.

“As a matter of fact, I suggest that you ALL open your books, open your minds and close your mouths. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at what you may be able to learn.” She stared challengingly around the room before she turned back around, flushed with success.

Maybe she'll give teaching another year. And she chuckled silently to herself...Marlene, you silly old thing, you do this every year. Get upset, then have a hissy fit. She snorted, like I would have really retired from teaching.

And contented with the studious quiet behind her, Marlene Thomas enjoyed an extremely well-behaved class and until the bell rang, she held their rapt attention. And by the third class, word of mouth had spread about Mrs. Thomas' badass self and she continued enjoying the respectful attention of her students throughout the week.


In his third class Xander sighed as he got up to the sympathetic looks from his classmates. Principal Wood just gotta stop calling him to his office, he thought aggrievedly. People were starting to get the wrong idea. Yet despite his ill feelings and need to stomp through the halls like a little kid, he maintained an amiable grin. And he didn't even bother to glare back at Giles, who clearly had been sneaking peeks at his X-men comic books. Too bad Cyclop's mutant powers were incompatible with reality.

As he hurried to the Principal's office, he saw Willow quietly retrieving something out of her locker. And by the way her shoulders stiffened he knew she had seen him but she didn't lift her head or try to attract his attention anymore. Probably was scared of what he would do to her, he thought cynically and felt a sharp stab of pain. Out of all of this, the one thing he regretted more was the loss of his faith and ability to trust her. Though the only thing that seemed to be of the good was that Wills seemed to be keeping her distance from Buffy. But he knew it wouldn't last.

~How do you know that?~ The Protector asked with some curiosity.

~Because she doesn't trust in herself enough and she hates being alone. Willow thinks that when people tell her what to do, that it means they care and that it's a sign of affection or something.~ Xander replied silently.

There was a thoughtful pause as it ruminated on its' host words.

~I do not understand. Nor do I understand your continuing affection for her. ~

Xander stopped at the water fountain and took a drink to give him time to finish their conversation. ~Willow's parent gave her the opposite of attention. Every since she was a little they've basically treated her like a miniature adult. Forcing her to make her own decisions. They had very 'progressive' ideas on how to raise a well-balanced and independent child, a theory which the majority of the adult population definitely didn't agree with. There were absolutely NO rules in her house. Nothing that she did ever had any consequences for her.”

“I remember when we were about 8 or 9 that her parents bought a picture. Willow told us that it cost about 10 or 20 thousand dollars. And to a kid, 1 dollar was a lot of money so naturally me and Jesse were kinda awed by that. Willow drew mustaches and beards on all the women and put skirts on all the men. She was so excited. But me and Jesse were scared to death that her parents would flip out and kill her. But she didn't care because at last she would get their attention, to know that they SAW her. And all they did was pretend like nothing ever happened. Nothing she did ever got their attention. She was invisible in her own home. So she gave up and around them and everybody else she became this shy, geeky little adult just begging for attention. But me and Jesse knew and saw the real Willow Rosenburg. She's a lot stronger than she knows.”~

~So, she's a coward.~ Was the flat statement.

Xander heaved a sigh. He was now standing just outside Principal Wood's door. ~No, she just thinks that if somebody pays attention to her, it makes her visible. She thinks that in order to be accepted and loved she has to be weak and helpless. She ain't figured out that sometimes too much attention can be...painful.~

Then he turned the knob and stepped into the office with a hesitant grin. And at the cool, slightly approving smile the older man gave him all his bullshit senses came silently, quietly alert. However, not by a flicker did he let on that he knew Principal Wood wanted something from him. But playing Go Fish! with Dru taught a person the fine art of patience.

“Principal Wood, you asked to see me?” he asked instead as he trained mild, innocent brown eyes on the older man.

“Yes, please sit down,” Robin requested, gesturing to a wooden chair just in front of his desk. He resumed his seat and regarded the young man thoughtfully.

“I just wanted to check up on you, to make sure everything was okay. After that little...” and he shared a smile with Xander, “...rumble with that 'gang' I just was interested in how you and the others were doing. I hope that Ms. Summers is not causing you any more unpleasantries?” Robin said, a brow arching inquisitively and at the quick head shake from Xander he sighed. “Excellent.”

He smiled again at the young man, who cheerfully smiled back at him. A look of wholesome innocence shining visibly in Xander's wide brown eyes.

Robin’s smile widened encouragingly.

Xander smiled back, his lips curving upwards. Now twinkles of good humor dance in his eyes.

Despite his gentle smile, Robin's eyes started hardening as he stared at the boy.

And Xander continued to smile charmingly at Principal Wood. He wasn't budging one inch. For most of his admittedly short life, he had learned how to fake smiling as if there was nothing wrong. As if his life was really a bowl of chocolate covered cherries. Even if his backside felt like it was on fire, he still smiled. People asked questions and got real nosy when kids always went around crying or looking hurt all the time. Which led to more problems at home.

“You know, it would be a lot easier if you just come right out and tell me what you want,” Xander said, easily holding his winsome smile intact.

With a huff of exasperation, Robin's smile vanished as he sat back in his chair. His eyes narrowed on the cheerful looking kid.

“I want Spike.”

Xander blinked. Of all things Principal Wood could have said, THAT surprised him. Damn, who would have thought Principal Wood was gay!

“Uhm...I really think you need to talk to Spike about this. Uhm, you do realize that he's with Dru and Ethan...like together together?” he said uneasily.

Robin’s face immediately screwed up, a look of revulsion on his face. “That's not how I 'want' Spike! I don't want to be his lover!”

“Oh...oh good, cause that'll be a lot of people in that particular bed,” Xander said in relief then groaned. “And I so did NOT need that mental picture that flashed through my mind! Old people having sex...ewwww!”

Robin rubbed the bridge of his nose, struggling not to grin at the horrified, disgusted look that appeared on the boy's face.

“Trust me, us 'old' people...” he broke off what he had been about to say and muttered to himself, “ I can't believe I'm attempting to have this conversation with a kid.”

“Anyway, my request really goes to the Protector, grandpa. I want to kill Spike,” Robin said and gave him his most engaging grin when Xander's brown eyes faded into white.

“No. Now, will that be all? Xander has one more class to go to before lunchtime and I find that listening to his stomach rumble is not conducive to good studying habits,” the Protector stated calmly.

“What do you mean 'No'?! I know why you're protecting Angel considering that the two of you are involved, so why the hell are you protecting Spike?! He killed my mother, that makes him a damned murderer!” Robin shot to his feet, a furious look on his face.

“I would imagine that as an educator you are fully aware of the connotations of the word 'NO',” the white-eyed creature stated dryly, “Therefore, I will answer your second and third questions. Why am I protecting Spike? Because he has an important mission to accomplish for me. And Spike is a vampire so technically, killing Nikki was not an act of murder but one of survival.”

“My mother was a Slayer,” Robin breathed dangerously as he leaned over his desk. “Shouldn't you at least pretend to give a damn about her?”

The Protector's eyes glowed brighter. Abruptly the room shifted, and objects in the room made an abrupt rattling sound before everything settling. “Forgive my lapse in temper,” the white-eyed creature said stiffly to its' motionless grandchild.

“To answer your question, I care for all my daughters. Slayers hunt demons, and should the demon prove to be a menace to their territory, then my daughters are trained to dispatch the demon as swiftly as they can. To imply that because Spike killed Nikki, he is a vicious murderer, that is a blatant untruth. Most demons, especially vampires, generally go out of their way to avoid Slayers. Spike is no exception.”

“He killed my mother!”

~Dude, don't go there!~ Xander yelped to the Protector.

“You are behaving in a most childish fashion,” the white-eyed creature snapped coldly.

~You just had to go there didn't you?!~ Xander accused his roommate.

Robin drew back in astonished rage. His eyes were wide in disbelief before hardening into chips of obsidian ice.

“Principal Wood, that's not what it meant to say,” Xander said frantically to still the cold fury that was threatening to overwhelm the older man.

“See, Slayer and vampires are like two sides of the same coin. Like that Chinese stuff..uhm Yin and Yan. Slayers are females, females give birth, females...life. Get it? Just like vampires, male or female, are dead...they represent the opposite of Slayers. Vampires are death, the only way they can reproduce is by bringing death.”

“And another thing, vampires are one of the few races of demons that were once humans. So because of that, in vampires and Slayers it creates a kinda tingling, uneasy feeling whenever they get around each other. Faith is no exception but she ignores the feeling cause Rejar, Angel and Kyle taught her how to recognize individual vampiric signatures. She won't react to the vampires that she knows, like Spike and Dru, but she will react to any strange vampire that comes into her territory.”

Xander’s voice slowed down considerably as he saw Principal Wood listening, really listening to him.

“You called Spike a murderer, but he's not a murderer,” the young man stated softly, his eyes steady on the infuriated man.

“Oh, then what would you call him?” Robin snarled sarcastically.

“Uhm, Spike...?” was the confused response. Xander held up a hand sharply when Robin opened his mouth to blast him. “Look, I'm not trying to be funny or make ya mad and stuff. Spike is what he is...he's no more a murderer than you would be considered a murderer for eating a hamburger.”

Robin sputtered, his eyes narrowing in anger. “That's completely different!”

“How? You eat meat...vampires 'eat' blood.” Xander shrugged. But his eyes were wary as he studied the older man, ready to dodge just in case the other started swinging.

“Then why don't he 'eat' plasma or pig's blood like your precious Angel does?!” Robin shouted harshly with cold gleaming eyes.

The young man rolled his eyes expressively. Then the Protector shifted, taking over the conversation. “Because it is not quite as simple as you think. It is a threefold problem. First of all, a vampire demon that has not made the shift to True Master status is a Revenant. A Revenant is typically personified as a psychopathic, ruthless would-be slaughterer of humans. A few steps above a just awoken vampire Childe. Furthermore, a Revenant is generally only concerned about destroying as many humans as possible. They are so foolish that they seek to destroy that which gave them life. The demon attempts to destroy the creatures that helps maintain their 'lives'...humans. Out of disdain and delusion of their superiority and grandeur.” The white-eyed creature snorted its' contempt.

“Secondly, vampires are created with a psychological imbalance. In essence, they are functionally insane. However, the solution to this problem is quite simple. The more blood they consume, the saner they become...the more HUMAN they become. Vampires need human blood to...grow up, so to speak. Human blood contains a certain nourishment that vampires need to grow into True Master vampires. The vampires that can make the transition into True Master vampires gradually lessen their killing of humans as they get older. They grow stronger, faster and consume considerably less blood than a Revenant.”

“And Thirdly, feeding off of humans keeps a vampire connected to their origins, their mortal state...which is something the demon despises. It keeps the demon eternally chained to the source of their bitterest rivals, humans.”

Robin listened to this all with a set stony face. Then his face twisted into a nasty smirk at the boy and the Protector. “Well, since you apparently don't have a problem with vampires, I guess you don't mind that Angel and Spike have been stalking the Harris', then?” He arched a brow sardonically at the horrified look that settled on the kid's face.

“Well, I guess that answers my question,” he murmured waspishly, with a spiteful gleam in his eyes.

Xander's lips tightened in a hard line. Abruptly he whirled around with a set face and headed out the door.

“Mr. Harris, I don't believe I gave you permission to leave school grounds,” Robin barked harshly after the boy.

And at the slow, flinty-eyed look Xander gave him, he flinched back. “And I don't believe I asked it either,” came the cold reply.

Robin thought for a few seconds before he hurried after the boy, easily catching up. “You'll get there faster if I drive you,” he said offhandedly at the questioning look Xander gave him.


Arriving at the boy's house, Robin blinked at the shabby, cheap looking interior. He directed a frown at the back of Xander's head, then shook his head. Did the boy really live here? Christ, this place was worse than some of the flophouses him and his momma used to crash.

At the sound of the screams for help, Xander led the way through the kitchen and the basement door.

“Mom...? Dad...?” he called, hurrying down the stairs. But at the sight of Angel and Spike watching him, he froze in midstep. Robin, hurrying behind him almost knocked him down the rest of the stairs.

“Take him!” Peter yelled to Angel and Spike. “Matter of fact, take them both! You don't want me! Look at 'em, young, fresh and healthy too!”

Robin's eyes widened in horror. His astonished gaze darted first to Angel and Spike still in their true faces, then to Xander's father. Then his eyes dropped to the tense and rigid shoulders of the boy.

“damn...” was all he could breathe.

And Angel flinched at the shattered look that flashed in Xander's eyes before his boy's long lashes concealed his expression.

“Kill them! Nobody'll miss the kid, I can guarantee ya! With all the 'gangs' in this here town, I can just tell people that's what happened! I swear, I won't say a thing.” Peter said desperately, his lips twitching in a weird parody of a smile. He licked his lips as his eyes darted between the motionless vampires, his son and that black man.

And a sly look of fierce cunning lit his eyes. “You...you like guys, right? 'Cause your mate's a guy, right? Well, my son...he's a faggot, ya see and you can fuck him then kill him, see?!”

Robin pushed past Xander and slammed a brutal punch in the man's face. “SHUT THE FUCK UP!” He stood breathing heavily as he glared at the groaning man.

“Damn you! You fuck shut up! Do you know what you've done?! Now, if Spike kills you, *I* gotta be grateful for him getting a piece of shit like you outta the gene pool!”

Peter blinked, not understanding what was going on.

Xander whirled around and stumbled up the stairs, gasping for breath. Feeling like his heart was about to shatter in two. His only thought was of getting away. Away from his hateful parents, away from the horrified pity in Principal Wood's eyes...away from that damn look of concern in Angel’s. Absolutely certain that if he had to stay one more minute breathing the same air as his father, all the king's horses and all the king's men wouldn't be able to put him back together again.

But Spike and Angel smelled the salty tang in the air. Angel growled, snarling to Spike that the blonde was NOT to kill the Harris' and raced after his mate. And vampire speed had him up the stairs, and catching his boy running for the door. With a choked watery sob, Xander froze when Angel pulled him back against him.

Guiding the trembling lad to the couch, Angel sat and pulled his forlorn boy into his lap, rocking and purring up a storm as Xander gave up his battle for control and began crying.

“Why c...c...couldn't they love me...?” came the muffled wail into Angel's chest. “They didn't haf...ta love me a lot...just a little bit.” Was said between hiccuping, sobbing breaths.

“I don't know why, baby...” Angel whispered in reply, as he rocked his sweet boy in his arms. Xander's pain was ripping him apart inside and he didn't know what to do other than offer his support and love, and continue stroking his hand soothingly down the boy's shuddering back. Remorse nearly consuming him that his thoughtless quest for vengeance had inadvertently hurt the one person he had thought to protect.

But his comforting hands were at odds with the murderous fury raging in his veins, in his soul. The look in his eyes more akin to Angelus' terrifying rampages than Angel's less intense rages. And the vampire's jaw was clenched tight, a muscle popping just under the skin.

“I wa...wa...was...a good b...b...kid and I loved them!”

“Yes, yes you were...” Angel murmured as he rocked faster, his hands busy patting and rubbing his baby gently.

“Pa...rents are sup...posed to...love their kids...” was the distraught, stuttering cry from the bewildered young man. All he had ever wanted was for his parents to love him. He would have done anything for their love.

Anything...and they offered him up to be fucked and eaten. He sighed softly, slowly gaining control of himself. His parents were not worth Angel bleeding them.

In a remote corner of his mind, while he felt an incredible sense of giddy happiness that Angel really, REALLY wanted to kill his parents for what they did...he knew that this wouldn't be right. He didn't want his parents blood on Angel's hands.

“Don't kill them...” came a soft murmur from the bowed head.

Angel blinked, his face falling in disappointment. “Not kill 'em?! But Xander, mmmf...” His eyes went wide when Xander grabbed the sides of his head and crushed their lips together. And what the boy lacked in finesse he certainly made it up in enthusiasm, Angel thought dizzily. Then he hastily pulled away from his tantalizing mortal and stood up.

“Now, Xander that's not fair,” he began to lecture the boy. But he also began backing away slowly, unsettled by the lusty gleam in his human's eyes. “Okay, look....you are NOT going to use sex to convince me to let...mmmmf!” Damn, but the boy was fast, was the vampire's fleeting thought, before his mind was becoming lost in the steamy passion that Xander was endeavoring to raise in the room.

Gathering his shredding self-control, Angel pushed the boy away from him. And for half a second they stood frozen, staring silently at one another. Then Xander slowly licked his lips and his lips curled upwards as he advanced. He deliberately set aside his unhappiness in favor of trying to distract Angel from killing his parents. And the fact that he would get a BIG happy from his lover was the furthest thing from his mind.

The Protector snorted and hastily retreated to its' room. At least there it would not be bothered the hormonal teen's wild emotions.

Angel straightened his clothing and smoothed his hair. Being older and wiser, and certainly no slouch in human body language, he decided a retreat was in order. Whirling he sped away to the safety of the basement, with a excited Xander chasing merrily after him.


Meanwhile, Robin and Spike gazed at each other. Spike smirked nastily at the deadly, hostile glare the bloke was shooting his way. Cor! Iffen he weren't dead already, by them looks the whelp was given him he certainly would be.

“Where's Lia...I mean Angel gone? Is he gonna kill Xander and let us go?” Peter asked desperately. His face was ashy and slicken with sweat. Nervous tremors visibly shook his bloated frame. He steadfastly ignored the angry black guy in favor of Spike, who was the more deadlier and scarier of the two.

Mary added her shaky pleas to his, blubbering with terror.

“Damn you...shut up! My God, man...he's your son!” Robin burst out turning his gaze on Xander's father, then Mary Harris.

“He's a goddamn, lazy ass faggot! He ain't good for shit!” Peter pulled his terrified eyes away from the coolly composed blonde vampire to shout at the slim dark man. “I hadda put up with his lazy, whiny ass for 17 years. Boy near 'bout to eat me outta house and home. The little fucker don't work and always hanging out with those two trashy little whores! If fuckin' his ass'll save my life, I'll fuck it myself!” The older man shouted, his face red with congested rage and terror.

Mary wailed louder at the wide, evil smile that crossed Spike's face at Peter's words. Her body shaking so hard she was practically vibrating.

Robin’s eyes were blank with such a terrifying rage that Peter's next words ground to a halt in his throat. Even Mary's moans were reduced to faint squeaks of terror. Spike raised an interested brow at the effect the lean dark bloke was having on the humans. Hmmm, the boy would make a terrifying Childe, he thought in grudging admiration.

“The boy tells us yer ma was a Slayer...” Spike said after lighting a cigarette. He took a long satisfying inhale before blowing out a cloudy smoke of nicotine. With that look on the bloke's face, no telling what he might do. And if he can't kill the shitheads, then neither could Wood.

Spike’s eyes narrowed as the rage he smelled seemed to harden into something closer to hatred. And he recalled that night at the Bronze, that same smell came off Wood then. Then he started remembering a certain brown skinned, dark-eyed Slayer. “Yer ma, she wouldn't happen ta haf been kinda tall, bushy hair, leather coat wearing Slayer was she?”

“Yes...” Robin bit out. Surreptitiously his hand began inching towards his back. A stake concealed just for this moment. Protector or not, Spike was HIS!

“And wha' are the odds of that hap'ning?!” Spike shook his head in amazement. And not by a flicker of his eyes did he let on that he knew that Robin's hands were inching towards some sort of weapons.

“You had a right good one there,” he continued, his voice reflecting admiration.

Robin snorted contemptuously. “Yeah, like you would know. Besides, way I see it, she chose duty over me. So what kinda mother does that make...” And before he was able to finish his sentence, Spike’s fist slammed into his face. Fortunately, the basement wall broke his fall. Unfortunately, the basement wall was made of cement.

“Don't you talk about yer ma like that!” Spike roared, his face shifting into his true demonic feature. And reaching down, he plucked the dazed man easily away from the wall. Giving Robin a rough shake in the process. “Yer ma was a fuckin' fine Slayer! The likes of which I was pri'leged to fight against! She's the kinda Slayer that demons are proud to go up against. The ones without all that namby-pamby talking and jesting stuff these bints do today. She was all about the kill. She was the kinda of Slayer that would go through the fires of hell itself to get at you.” Spike shivered in almost orgasmic pleasure, recalling that single-minded intensity devoted exclusively to killing him. That girl was awe inspiring...and he almost regretted having to kill her.

Almost, except for she was trying to kill him in return.

Then Spike looked at the human clutched in his hand. Stupid little wanker was even speaking bad about his own mum, he thought angrily. “Slayer's like yer ma don't just get borned, they get bloody well MADE!” And he tossed the human to the floor with an annoyed, contemptuous snarl.

Robin wheezed as he carefully got to his feet. “Better be careful, somebody might actually think you liked and admired her,” he husked, a vicious sneer on his face..

Spike blinked at the defiant human. “Liked? Didn't know 'nuff about her t'like 'er. But hell, that Slayer bint had some soddin' moves like ya bloody well wouldn't believe! Once that girlie had me in her eyesight she wasn't 'bout ta' let me get away. That bint tracked me like a bloodhound. I didn't drain 'er, did I ya bloomin' ponce?! I just snapped 'er neck...I didn't EAT 'er! Took 'er coat ta remember 'er, didn't I?!” The blonde vampire exclaimed hotly, his vivid blue eyes flaming with righteous indignation.

The younger man's head drew back as he digested Spike's words. “You killed her, but you respected her enough to steal her coat?”

Spike looked at Robin like he was mentally deficient. “I didn't STEAL it! She didn't need it no more and I wanted meself a souvenir. Why else would I have taken it?! I took that Chinese Slayer's hair pieces. She was me first Slayer. If Faith lives long enough, maybe she'll be able ta fight like yer ma or something,” he said vaguely. “Though I won't be a-fightin' her,” he added hastily at the look the other gave him.

“You respected my mother?” Robin repeated his question, his voice rising in disbelief.

“Ya gonna keep repeating that for how long?” Spike raised a sardonic scarred brow. Then he sighed. “Look you, yer ma was a fuckin' genius when it came t'fightin'. I ain't seen that kinda fightin' since Angelus got himself locked up, ya know? 'N the only other body I've ever seen fight like that was that little Chinese bint. Me and Angelus plus the girls were over there when them Chinese people were having one of their little spats,” Spike said, with a vague wave of his hand, airily dismissing the strife that had rocked the Ch'ing dynasty from power.

The young vampire remembered wading through the onslaught of wide-eyed fanatic 'Boxers' as they stormed the hastily erected barricades that were thrown up against them. He and the others had glutted themselves during the long months that followed. They had even managed to settle down for a brief time during the fighting. Making their social calls on the various demons and vampires that lived in China. They were invited to the best dinner parties during that time. There was never a lack of dinner, all a body had to do was reach out the window and grab a bite.

Robin was not stupid, he heard tales of William the Bloody and the era the other had killed his first Slayer.

“I presume you mean the Boxer Rebellion?” His voice was dry as he eyed the vampire with a sardonic eye. Easily recalling the events that had led up to what had since became known as the Boxer Rebellion to the outside world.

While foreign powers scrabbled over China's resources, a drought lay waste to much of the Shandong province. This eventually pushed the inhabitants to the brink of starvation and abject despair, which in turn allowed them to find comfort and belief in the words of Righteous Fists of Harmony. That the foreign devils were responsible for their plight. So they believed and joined the growing quasi-militant ranks of the Righteous Fists of Harmony.

And seeing the followers of the Righteous Fists of Harmony swell to thousands, the Dowager Empress Tsu Hsi contrived an audacious scheme to oust the encroaching foreign powers from China. Hoping that she succeeded before they nibbled away at her country like so many ravenous rats.

It was the foreign powers that had coined the phrase 'Boxers'. Calling the members of the Righteous Fists of Harmony 'Boxers' because of the martial skills the group practiced.

However, unknown to bickering Western powers and tacitly supported by the Dowager Empress, the Chinese government had switched sides. Changing from being Anti-Boxer to Pro-Boxer and all Military commanders, as well as governors, that were against the Boxers were replaced by those that were decidedly in favor with the ideals of the Boxer's slogans.

But unfortunately for China, the Dowager Empress’ plan backfired. She, herself, was forced to flee disguised as a servant. And for the next several months, the combined forces of the Western powers and Japan grew in China as they put down the Boxers, breaking up cells throughout the provinces in the northern countryside.

And despite all her determined efforts to oust the foreign nationals out, China had to endure a devastating blow to her pride, prestige and power. After putting down the Rebellion, the foreign powers moved swiftly in consolidating their interests and power within China. Incidentally regaining their previous territorial gains.

Then came the war between Russia and Japan. And the severely weakened Chinese empire could not spare the manpower to intervene, which secured Japan's military dominance of the Far East.

A brief grin flickered on Robin's face as the scroll of information on William the Bloody flashed through his mind. Which in turn led to the synopsis of the cause and effect of the Boxer Rebellion. His smile vanished as he stared at the pale, unrepentant face of the vampire as something, some knowledge struggled for existence in his mind. Something that his mother's Watcher had told him when the older man took over guardianship of him. But what was he forgetting?!

At the sound of running feet, both he and Spike looked up with the vampire's face shifting momentarily to demon as they listened.

And it suddenly clicked in Robin's mind what he had forgotten. What his guardian had tried to drill repeatedly into his head. In his haste to deal with his mother's murderer, he had forgotten the one crucial element that Xander, the Protector and his guardian tried to tell him.

Vampires were NOT human!

Oh, sure they walked around in man-shape. Talked like men, laughed like men...some even operated their lives like men and could even fall in love. But under no circumstances could they be remotely considered human. Human-like, yes. But demons ruled the mind and bodies. Demons that had their own thoughts, customs and beliefs that were at times totally contrary to human beliefs.

His mother wasn't murdered, she had been killed. Almost the same as a cow was killed for hamburger, or a pig was slaughtered to become bacon or ham. Or a wily tiger was pursued by a big game hunter. And in a challenge of wit and survival, man against nature, there was no guarantee that the human would return from battle victorious after they had tested their skills, abilities and cunning to the utmost.

While humans were rumored to be the superior creature, the most intelligent mammal on the face of the earth, even they were forced to bow their proud heads in submission to the worthier foe. Sometimes, they became the prey.

He eyed Spike speculatively, feeling some of his anger and hatred slowly seep away as understanding dawned in his mind. According to his guardian, who had witnessed the whole thing, all the vampire did was break her neck. Spike didn't take her blood. And considering the incredible value and rush a Slayer's blood gave a vampire, that was saying a lot about the respect the vampire accorded his mother. This was something that definitely needed further consideration, Robin decided.

Then his brows shot up as Angel rushed down the stairs. And if it wasn't so ridiculous he would have said that the dark-haired vampire looked panicky about something, which was really stupid...

...then a hot-eyed Xander clattered down the stairs and Robin decided that perhaps Angel had sufficient cause to look that way. He stifled a grin, though his eyes met Spike's dancing eyes with amusement before they both looked away. Not before Spike mouthed the word 'Whipped' to him.

“Angel....” the boy purred seductively as he sauntered closer to his uneasy vampire.

“Now, Xander...” Angel began as he backed away from the young man. His normal grace of movement lost in his efforts to avoid the amorous boy.

“Kill him!” Mary suddenly shrieked, jerking her head to Xander. Peter added his yell to hers, urging the vampire to eat their son. Praying that they would be able to escape death if Angel took them up on their offer of Xander.

Angel's head jerked towards them, his eyes flaring a brilliant gold. He had almost forgotten them. He growled savagely as he started forward menacingly.

Spike merely sighed and sat down to light another fag, silently offering one to Robin who shook his head.

Peter and Mary’s mouths dropped open in shock when their son jumped on the snarling vampire. Their eyes widen even further when Xander began laying frantic kisses on the demon creature, before settling in with a much longer kiss.

Jerking his head back, Angel tried to be stern. “Xander, using sex in not...” his words were cut off when the boy pressed in for another long kiss.

Robin eyed the two disapprovingly, though with a bit of secret amusement. Then shaking his head, the lean dark male motioned to Spike that he was leaving and headed up the stairs.

Angel broke Xander's liplock on him, gasping, “I said that using, uhmmmm...”

This time his mate put even more power into their passionate exchange. Stumbling backwards, Angel fell into a chair. Which allowed the eager boy to settle more firmly onto the swelling erection that was distorting the front of Angel's pants. This time Xander was the one to draw back, panting for breath. He eyed his lover for a few minutes, watching as whiskey-golden eyes flickered open.

“...but I could be convinced,” Angel said in a raspy whisper before pulling his boy back to his mouth. Leisurely sampling the delights hidden behind the lusciously, tempting lips. Groaning as the captivating taste of his lover exploded in his mouth again. And he eagerly delved deeper within the wet, humid depths. Shivering as a sleek, wanton muscle twined luxuriously with his own.

Spike shook his head in disgust. “Whipped he is,” he muttered to the agog Harris’. “Ever since he got himself a soul, he ain't had the stones for blooding and torturing anymore. And between shaggin' the boy, he ain't even had the heart for a little fightin'.” The blonde had a mournful look on his face.

“Wha' the fuck...?” Peter breathed as he stared at the entwined duo in the chair across from them. Unfortunately, his words were heard by Angel's superior hearing ability. The vampire broke off his passionate rendezvous with his lover's delectable mouth and regarded the dumbstruck pair. His eyes slowly cooling, hardening into chips of golden, frozen ice.

Xander whimpered softly, his eyes troubled as he touched the pale, set face with gentle, frantic fingers. His efforts to redirect Angel's attention back to him was to no avail. And he watched the simmering, deadly rage ignite in his lover's eyes with wary eyes.

Angel glanced down into Xander's worried brown eyes. Once again getting lost in the rich chocolate sensation of pure warmth and love. He dropped a soft kiss on his boy's nose, smiling faintly at the look of relief that filled those big, doe eyes.

“Spike, we're not gonna kill them,” he said calmly. His hands stroked gently up and down Xander's back as his beloved hid a warm, flushed face in his shoulder. Angel kissed the blushing cheek as he levered their combined weight out of the chair. Xander slid down Angel's body to rest his feet on the concrete floor, then turned around.

Spike looked outraged. “See, that's what comes when ya take a mortal as a mate! Ya get all soft...and...and.... mushy!” he yelled stormily. Then he pointed a furiously shaking finger at Xander's smiling face, “This is all yer fault, ya know! Ya ruined a perfectly good vampire with yer mushy love!”

“Yeah, like you wouldn't jump when Ethan told you to do something,” Xander replied jeeringly. And stuck out his tongue for good measure at the infuriated blonde.

“That's only because Ethan is evil,” Spike answered with great dignity. “Ya know what that is? It's when something or somebody likes doing BAD THINGS to others!” he said huffily.

Xander had a sly look on his face as he focused on the blonde. “Then I'm evil,” he claimed triumphantly. “Angel loves me, so he's not gonna kill my parents. Something that you want him to do. So that makes me BAD.” And he chortled at the flabbergasted look on the Spike's face.

“NO! Yer a soft, mushy human, that's all! Yer not evil! Yer a pouf! A soft, mushy pansy-ass whelp! Angel, tell him he's not evil! Go on, tell him!” Spike shouted desperately. His eyes were a little wild at the thought of this...this...boy entering the ranks of Evilhood.

“Oh yeah?! Well, you're nothing but a bleached blonde! All that peroxide got your brain all muddled!” Xander shouted back angrily. He leaned, trying to get a good swing at the irritating blonde but was restrained by Angel's grasp on his shirt.

“Will you two please stop arguing? Sheesh! Being around you two is almost as bad as watching over a couple of three-year olds,” Angel grumbled. He gave Xander a slight shake, then pulled his furious lover back into his arms.

“Look, Xander...I'm sorry but you and being evil are so not gonna happen. I love you, but...you're not evil. You're never gonna BE evil. You're not even on the Rictor scale of evil. You're not even quasi-evil. As a matter of fact, you're the complete antithesis of evil. I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this but...you're Good,” Angel stated solemnly. His face softening at the heartbroken look that welled up in his baby's big eyes

“But...” Xander blinked rapidly, his face falling.

Angel cupped the boy's upset face in his hands. “No baby, we all love you,” he ignored Spike's muttered 'I don't!' as he focused on Xander. “Remember, you're in good company. Faith, Wes, and Cordy they're not evil...well, Cordy may be on the verge of being evil, but she still has a ways to go. So just accept the fact that you're Good.”

Xander sniffed back his tears, though why he felt like crying because he wasn't evil was beyond him. But the sweet kiss Angel gave him made up for his lack of evilness.

Peter and Mary looked at each other then at their son. They had remained silent throughout the entire thing as they comprehended that their son...the very same son that they had offered to the vampire...was the mate of the vampire.

“S...s....so y...y...you're m...ma...mates?” Peter stammered out, his eyes widening in shock. Then his expression turned shrewd despite the bonds still restraining him to the chair. “That's good...yeah, that's good. And since I'm your father-in-law,” he almost choked on the words, “You need to release me and her. And I think you should be rewarding us with some money for letting you have our son.” His face was triumphant as he tossed out that last part. They should get something for raising a fuckin' little queer! He had no doubts that it came from Mary's side of the family. And he cast a dark look at his trembling wife. He always thought there was something a little 'funny' about her brother Tommy. Firmly ignoring the other man's incredible, financially successful career.

Angel turned a disturbingly remote gaze on the drink bloated face of Peter Harris. “I beg your pardon? I don't see what one has to do with the other. While my Xander’s value is beyond monetary value to me and our family, you, as his blood relative have displayed considerable evidence of your thoughts on the matter of his worth...which is none. You've beat him, starved him of affection and emotional support, the very things that parents are supposed to give their children. And to make matters even worse, you offer his life and body in exchange for your own wasted existence.” Xander's head lowered in abject pain, feeling tears prickling in his eyes as Angel continued his blistering denunciation of his parents.

Angel gave the two a poisonous smile. Mary flushed and looked away from the look of biting contempt in the vampire's eyes even as Peter stubbornly set his jaw, struggling not to say the hateful, vicious words trembling on his lips. His opinion of his son not changing one bit.

“Isn't it ironic that the valueless child that you offered to me, to us, to fuck and eat is the very same one that you owe your pathetic, useless lives to?” Angel stated harshly into the frozen silence of the basement. He pulled Xander closer to him, knowing that his mate was bleeding inside from his parent's betrayal. Angel glared at Peter and Mary, his eyes full of vicious derision. “You owe your lives to my mate...anything else is simply greed. And I don't reward cowards and fools with money.”

And drawing himself up to his most imposing height, Angel swept his scornful eyes over the pale trembling faces of Xander's parents. Then with cold, calculated dignity the Master vampire drew his mate up the stairs and away from the foul creatures that stained his beloved's beautiful soul. Angel allowed Xander to lead them upstairs to the bedroom. And feigning reluctance he even allowed his boy to make love to him. Repeatedly. Though he figured the delighted smile on his face sorta gave Xander a clue.

“Whipped...” Spike muttered as he stalked up the stairs. Though a faint smile settled on his face as he sat in the living room watching TV. And he paid no mind to the loud passionate shouts of pleasure that floated down from the bedroom. However, he did spitefully make sure to leave the basement door wide open so the boy's parents could hear the ecstatic screams of their son.

Several hours later, Xander left his parents' home and bounced happily back to the mansion, while Angel and Spike waited for sunset to leave. He was smugly sure that Angel wasn't gonna hurt his parents, nor would the older vampire allow Spike to bring harm to them either.

Unfortunately for the senior Harris', Xander forgot that the simple fact that there were far more than vampires that roamed through the streets of fair Sunnydale.

Both Spike and Angel acted suitably contrite at failing to rescue Peter and Mary Harris from an E'cha demon infestation, or at least Angel tried to look contrite at the sharp glance Xander sent him. But both his and Spike's hands were clean. And when they were taking their ease in Willie's bar, discussing the senior Harris' they declared just how uncaring they were of the residents at 423 Tremont Lane. That, because of their solemn vow, that they were not even gonna walk past the house at 423 TREMONT LANE, no matter what. Nope. No sirree! They had absolutely no interest in the defenseless HUMANS at 423 Tremont Lane.

And they absolutely had nothing to do with the death of Xander's parents.


Meanwhile, Angel continued his campaign of scare with Buffy and Giles.

For Giles, he left beautifully a drawn portrait of Buffy sitting at the dining table. Of course, it did take a bit of imagination for him to include Giles spreadlegged on the table with Buffy greedily eating his balls.

For Buffy it was a glorious rendition of her. She looked radiant and beautiful on all fours with a dog collar around her neck...with the leash held firmly in Giles' hands.

Then there were personal appearances by the vampires at the shopping malls, at the grocery store...just about everywhere Buffy and Giles ventured to go in Sunnydale. Flashing a bit of fang at the two whenever the duplicitous duo looked their way.

Steadily increasing the fear within the treacherous two nightly. Smirking at the mounting terror that filled Buffy and Giles' eyes. Making the former Slayer and ex-Watcher even more frantic to find a means of defense against the menacing darkness that was slowly encircling them.

And during Angel and Spike's reign of terror of Xander's parents, Giles finally found a way that would grant them some measure of vengeance as well as to be safeguarded against the vampires.

It took him the better part of a week to translate an ancient spell he had found written in a obscure language. It would return Buffy to her status as a Slayer while at the same time, ripping the power from Faith. Returning things to their proper conclusion. There can be only one Slayer...and that would be Buffy. It would also gain him an equal measure of power himself, he mused, flushed with success at the solution to his and Buffy's mutual problem. The ingredients to the spell were all decidedly simple, he already had access to everything he needed.

One strip from the Toupaka root, ground into a very fine powder; five dragonbane leaves, crushed into a red paste; twelve white hairs from a wolverine; three drops of urine from a virgin sow; ten gallons of purified water; boil, then simmer for 12 hours; strain, let cool then repeat every day until the new moon. Which was in five days. And under the cover of a full moon, at it's apex, recite the incantation; bleed and then strip a young witch of her powers.

Perfect.

And whistling cheerfully, Giles strode happily to ring Buffy up. As he suspected, she didn't have a problem, other than calling dibs on Willow. Telling him that he had better find his own witch.

Fortunately, he already had one in mind.

He glanced at Amy Madison from the corner of his eye as she did her research on an upcoming book report.


Willow eyed the darkened glade with nervous eyes. She glanced at Amy with worried eyes. There was something about the look in Buffy and Giles eyes that was majorly creeping her out. Wiggins be damn, it was time for a full body freakout!

She started at the gentle touch of Buffy's hand on her shoulder.

“Willow, are you my friend?” The blonde asked softly to the red-head, glancing briefly over to where Giles had lead Amy to his chosen area. Both the Watcher and blonde were wearing long, blue robes.

The red-head nodded shakily, then swallowed hard and replied in a trembling voice that she was indeed Buffy's friend. Who else could she possible be friends with? Xander refused to have anything to do with her and Oz was lost to her, there was no one else for her to cling to other than Buffy and Giles. Despite her misgivings about tonight, they were all she had.

“And friends do things for each other, right? Share things with each other...just because they are friends, right?” And somehow, staring into Buffy's eyes, Willow was nagged by a feeling of familiarity in the narrowed blue eyes of her friend.

“I need you to do something for me, for us. Because we're such good, close friends. I need to to lay down on this table. Shhhh, don't worry, nothing bad is gonna happen to you. You know I would never hurt you, never.” Buffy whispered softly, making her eyes warm and friendly, pleased at the hesitant nod she had wrung from the slight red-headed girl.

Trembling, Willow climbed up on the table, blinking as she saw Amy doing the same on another table with Giles standing on the side of the other girl.

The young witch jumped when her hands were taken in a gentle, easily breakable grip. She gave a nervous grin to the blonde, then to the other witch as fear was trying to take hold of her. Buffy smiled down into Willow's anxious eyes even as she bound the girl's hands with the sacrificial rope and drew them above her head, anchoring them to the table.

And still Willow lay there, a feeling of almost unreality coming over her as she stared upwards into the night sky, vaguely hearing Giles chanting. Speaking words that drifted softly on the night sky, coming faintly to her ears.

However, when Buffy straddled the young girl, and the blonde girl removed her robe revealing her nakedness, abruptly the young witch was reminded of what Buffy's eyes reminded her of...a snake! Furiously she began to struggle, hearing cries from the other witch and Giles's voice shouting the words of the spell. She spared a brief aghast look over to see a naked Giles astride Amy, holding a knife in the air. Her eyes whipped back to Buffy in sudden horror, only to see the blonde mirroring the Watcher's position. Willow increased her struggles, terror lending her strength in her determination to escape the fate the two plan for her.

“Stop struggling! You said you were my friend! Friends share with other friends, you agreed with me. I need your power to become the Slayer again, Willow! Don't you want me to be a Slayer?! Or are you a selfish little bitch and traitor like the rest of them?!” Buffy screamed into the girl’s panicky face. Even without her Slayer strength, she easily held the smaller girl's bucking body down.

“I'm not that big of a friend, you crazy fool! Nobody is that much of a friend to let you kill them!” Willow shouted and renewed her frenzied movements.

“Kill you?! I'm not gonna kill you,” Buffy exclaimed, sitting back on her heels.

Willow blinked up at her, hearing Giles' voice reaching a crescendo. “You're not...”

“Course not, you idiot! I'm gonna bleed you and strip you of your power...that's what'll kill you! But not me!” Buffy smiled cheerfully down into the horrorstruck green eyes. Slowly raising the knife, enjoying the terror in the little bitch's eyes. That'll serve her right for being sympathetic to Xander, like she didn't notice the little pleading glances Willow kept giving him.

Buffy plunged the knife into Willow's shoulder with cold eyes, an icy smile flashed across her face at the scream from the girl and the loud cry from Amy. She raised the knife for a second bleeding wound, crying out herself as her knife was shot out of her hand.

“THIS IS THE POLICE! WE HAVE YOU SURROUNDED! MOVE AWAY FROM THE GIRLS!”

Giles' eyes widened in sudden terror at the bright lights shining on him. He fell off Amy in shock, fumbling for his robe and stumbling through an incoherent explanation of why they were out in a secluded area with the girls. Stuttering at the medical personnel and police rushing towards them that they were rehearsing a play about two girls getting sacrificed. Pleading and shouting that it was only a play even as he was roughly turned around and shoved into the table, and his hands handcuffed behind him.

And as the cuffs snapped around his wrists he felt every scrap of power, every little hoard of magic he managed to accumulate vanish like it never was. He breathed in stunned disbelief, not even hearing Buffy's screaming behind him.

His power was gone...

It was all gone!

He looked up, straight into the venomous eyes of Ethan Rayne. And he knew just how the bloody coppers got the friggin' magic sapping bracelets.

“Bastard! I hope you're enjoying your little fun. I'll be out soon enough,” he breathed sotto voice. And he knew, despite the distance between them, the other heard him. But still he struggled to control his volcanic rage, managing to present a picture of baffled, civilized gentility to the arresting officers. He was at his stuttering, fumbling best of a simple absent-minded man. And he saw the flickering look of confusion in the coppers' eyes and hid a triumphant smirk. But as he glanced away from Ethan, he saw the others. All watching him with varying expressions of contempt, disgust and cool laughter in their eyes. And the pieces clicked into place.

It was a trap...there never was a spell! He snapped, losing all his hard-fought mastery under the stunning conclusion of how he had been led down the garden path.

“YOU FUCKIN' ROTTER! THERE WAS NEVER A SPELL! I'LL FUCKIN' KILL YOU ALL! YOU THINK YOU'VE SEEN THE LAST OF RUPERT GILES, BUT I'LL BE BACK!! I'LL GET YOU ALL, YOU BLOODY ARSEHOLES!” He howled in rage, struggling furiously against the policemen as they sought to drag him into the cruiser.

Willow sobbed in pain as she was helped off the table. Shaking with shock and terror, she was fast sapping her remaining strength to stay upright. She was literally forcing herself to numb her ears to Buffy’s screams for her to tell the cops the truth, that this was just a play they were working on and the yelling foul curses the blonde threw at her.

She was just grateful for the strong, comforting presence of the medical officer attending her. But her head jerked when Giles started raging. And twisting, her eyes met Xander's eerily remote, dispassionate gaze. And at first she felt relief at his expression, thinking it was the Protector. Then sickness rose in her throat as she locked on his brown eyes.

And she wondered vaguely why she thought she would be exempt? Oz was punished first; then Buffy and Giles. Why did she think she wouldn't have to pay as well? Afterall, she did betray him too. And good or bad, there was always a price to be paid.

Things would never be the same between them. He could never trust or love her again. She had too many opportunities to step away from Buffy, Giles and Oz and take a stand against them. Not to prove her loyalty to HIM, but to simply prove her humanity. But instead she clung harder to them. So terrified of being alone, that she ignored everything she believed in. Afraid that without someone to validate her existence, she was nothing.

No self.

No Willow.

Nothing but mist.

And now...she was truly alone.

She watched through blurry eyes as they all faded back into the shadows. Numb to her core, she accepted the helping hands of the medic to the ambulance, then to the hospital. And for several days she simply lay there, gazing blankly out the window. Responding with detached calmness to whatever the doctor or nurse told her to do.

Waiting with the dumb patience of a trapped animal for her release.

And when she was finally released, she took a taxi home. Where she was distantly amused that her parents, like always, were away at some seminar.

But they did leave a note in the kitchen. How considerate of them...

...she crumpled it up and tossed it over her shoulder without bothering to read it.

It didn't matter anyhow.

Nothing mattered anymore.

She cleaned the house and washed her clothes. And at the hollow feeling in her stomach, made a small meal for herself before she made her way up the stairs to her bedroom. Sitting at her desk, Willow wrote a lengthy note. Unnoticed at first, tears fell from her eyes, dripping on the paper and making the ink run as feeling began returning to her heart, tearing at her soul.

But it was too late.

Much too late.

And finished at last, she re-read the note with blurry eyes before going over to her perfectly made up bed, propping it on the pillow. Then gathering her supplies, she made her way into the bathroom and ran the water for a bath, setting what she needed on the empty soap dish embedded in the wall. Disrobing, she turned off the water and stepped into the tub, sinking down into the hot water with a little sigh. Then reaching into the soap dish...

...Willow calmly sliced her wrists.

She winced at the sting before dropping them into the soothing water. Sure, she was taking the easy way out, but this was the least she could do. She would much rather not have Xander wind up killing her, or giving the orders for one of them to kill her.

And she watched with drowsy lassitude as the clear water darkened with her lifeblood. Her head fell back as her eyes became heavier and heavier.

Downstairs, the front door opened quietly and two shadowy figures entered. One of dark fathomless eyes and one with eyes of gold. One sniffed intently before motioning towards the stairs. They headed purposely upstairs, pausing outside the bathroom door, before slowly opening it.

They looked with unreadable eyes at the dying girl.

“Now we can't be having any of that, can we?” Xander exclaimed softly as he strode into the bathroom. He smiled amiably as Willow's eyes fluttered open. “Did you really think I would be that merciful? That I would let you, of all people, go so easily?”

And his eyes flared a brilliant white, before resuming his normal brown.

Xander stepped back. “Take her,” he ordered Spike calmly. And the blonde vampire had a wild grin on his face when Willow cried out in horror. She raised her hands in defense and screamed despairingly at the sight of smooth skin on her wrists.

“Xander, NO! Oh God, Xander please! Don't do this to me! I'm so sorry! Please...
please...XANDER!” She was screaming and flailing about as Spike roughly seized her wet and squirming body and threw her to the bathroom floor. At her continuing screams of panic and terror, the vampire slapped her viciously, stilling her voice at the incredible shock of pain.

And holding her cheek, she looked up in disbelief at the brown eyed man gazing down at her with cold pitiless eyes.

“Say hello to your new Master. Spike, you know what to do with her.” And Xander walked away, steeling himself when she screamed his name in despair and the smack of the vampire hitting her again. And again. And again.

Until the screaming stopped.

~“Are you certain of this path, young one?”~ Protector asked the boy gently. ~“I can find another, though it may take me a few years to find another mage to serve you.”~

Xander took a much needed breath outside. “No, it has to be this way.”

~“You still believe in her?! Amazing. And after everything she's put you through. But the real question is, does she have the strength to withstand what the vampire must teach her? It will not be pretty, what Spike and Ethan will do to her.”~ It warned the boy softly as they made their way home. Casually incinerating a demon that tried to jump them along the way.

“Yeah, she's always thought she's weak. But she's not. She's strong. I know that she can do this. I know she can.” Xander muttered, feeling his eyes fill with tears. “He...they won't rape her will he?”

~“Not if Spike wants to continue his existence,”~ Protector replied grimly. ~“He knows that I will sense the instant either of them lays one hand on her in a sexual way. They will tell her why they must hurt her and she will need to make the choice. By the time we get home, we will know one way or the other whether Ethan and Spike will continue.”~ It became silent for a few seconds.

~“And Buffy and Giles...what will happen with them?”~

Xander sighed wearily. “Well, Ethan called dibs on Giles but I did get him to promise that he wasn't gonna kill 'im. And Buffy, well...we'll see what happens.”

And the Protector's thoughts, hidden from Xander, was pleased. The child was learning, growing, seeing the possibilities in his mind for the future protection of this world.


In the morning paper the next day, along with the continuing coverage of the arrest of Rupert Giles and Buffy Summers, was the report of the disappearance of 17-year old Willow Rosenburg from her home.

According to the article, “...the police were alerted by a neighbor that said she heard screams from the home. However, by the time the police arrived at the scene the front door was wide open and the house was empty. The investigating officer declined to comment on what was initially believed to be a suicide attempt after finding the lengthy note. However, staff psychologist say such things are not uncommon, 'Ms. Rosenburg could have become despondent over her friend’s attempt to murder her.' But since there was no body, this theory is in some doubt. An investigation of the bathroom and the splatters of blood on the stairs and out the door leads the police to assume that this must have been a resumption of the first murder attempt by fellow cultists under the direction of Buffy Summers and Rupert Giles. At this time, efforts to contact Willow Rosenburg's parents has proven unsuccessful.”




Chapter 11

About three years later...

Spike stepped out of the bathroom with a careless disregard of his unclothed state. He moved with the sleek uncompromising grace of a hunting cat. Smooth, unconscious sensuality was in every step he took as he crossed into the connecting bedroom. Naked as the day he was born. At the doorway he paused, the icy hue of his blue eyes softening as he gazed at the dark-haired mortal still laying in bed. He pursed his lips, a look of profound love and pure lust gentling his chiseled features even more. Stepping softly, Spike paced quietly to the black rumpled sheets, and sat on the edge of the bed.

Icy blue eyes studied the sprawled body of his mortal lover with a puzzled stare. How 'n the bloody hell did this particular silly git always manage to get him all mucked up? How the hell did one gawky, White-hat wearing HUMAN manage to wind him around his pinkie? Who was the Big Bad around here, anyway? Apparently not HIM! When did he lose control in this fuckin' relationship? Better yet, did he ever have it?! Vampires like him weren't supposed ta get all mushy and...and...act like puling milksops, not unless they were nancy-boys like that flaming pouf Angel. But every time he looked at his lover, he felt like his insides were flowing out of him in one big ball of mushy love.

Damn creatures were just too bloody short-lived. Worming their way inta a bloke's life, making 'im care...then up and dying on ya! Left a fellow feeling all squishy and icky inside. Then wha'cha gonna do with all them feelings raging around inside ya? That just wasn't right! And it weren't fair! Especially not with a Master vampire like him.

Irritated at his maudlin thoughts, Spike poked the slumbering man ungently in the shoulder. “Hey you, get'cher self up...the boy's gonna be in L.A. in a couple hours and you know that prancing wanker Angel gonna get all huffy if we ain't there to greet his little precious boy.”

As drowsy blue eyes fluttered open, meeting his stormy gaze headon, Spike felt his irritated mood falling to the wayside. He could feel himself getting lost once again in the warm blue gaze that washed over him like sunlight. He didn't need to walk in the sun when he had those beautiful eyes watching him with all the power of that deadly orb. But far from catching fire like he would under the sun, he felt another fire surge to life under his quiet lover's gaze and he simply melted.

Wondering once again with astringent exasperation exactly why he was such a fuckin' nancy boy whenever Wesley looked at him like that. For that matter, what the hell did his dark-haired mate see in him?

He was a rude, nasty, snarky, evil bastard...and those were his good points.

“Do you know how blessed my life has been since I've met you?” Wesley said in a sleep husky voice as if reading his mind. The dark-haired man smiled slowly at the beckoning heat that kindled Spike's eyes to blue flames. “Before I met you, I was such a rule-bound fool. But you, you taught me that rules were made for breaking, luv. You taught me how to laugh through my tears, how to smile even though my heart was breaking. You showed me that love can survive, grow strong with time. You taught me how to be wily like a fox...you taught me how to be me. A stronger, unafraid to take risks, me.” And he raised himself up, pressing his lips against Spike's in a long, breathless kiss that involved lots of tongue action before he pulled back.

Wesley regarded his lover for a few seconds before his smile widened. “I think we got a few hours to spare before Xander gets here. That is, if we hurry.” And he gave Spike a slow, languid smile of pure seduction as he lay back down again.

Spike gave him a smirky grin of his own. Ah, well, guess we can afford a couple of speeding tickets, cause damn if I'm gonna hurry, was his lecherous thought. He eyed the long, loose-limbed body of his mate with hot, blazing eyes before pouncing on his chuckling lover. Laughter that quickly turned into breathless moans of passion. Then low, almost incoherent pleas fell from Wesley's lips.

Satisfied that he had regained some measure of control, Spike decided to further reduce Wesley to a panting, limp pile of damp, sweaty flesh. Hoping to prove his superiority. Though he was ruefully aware that he was just as 'whipped' as Angel was with Xander.

Gazing down into the passion flushed face of his lover, Spike abruptly decided that being 'whipped' wasn't such a bad thing after all.

The human frowned for a few seconds, but Spike only pulled Wesley closer for a lingering, biting kiss. And in a moment the dark-haired mortal was no longer able to focus on wondering what the hell just happened, or whether he gave a damn.

By the time Spike had finished nibbling on his neck, Wesley was entirely focused on riding the pure sensation streaming through him. He was no fool. Even after three months of being Spike's lover he knew there were places that the vampire posted 'No Trespassing' signs. Areas where shadowy pockets of darkness lurked within the deceptively lean and fluid body of his lover. All for his benefit, of that he was sure.

But he knew.

He saw.

Finally understanding his cocksure lover’s rough and tumble persona was, for the most part, pure bluster. That Spike was dangerous and deadly only a fool would disbelieve; but with those he cared about...that he loved...he was loving. Tender.

Devoted.

Just as he was.

To the way those powerful, cool hands felt on his back. To the way the full lips pressed against his throat, tasting him, loving him.

Spike slid his hands down Wesley's thighs, parting them and settling into the warm space provided. He felt such a wave of tenderness flood through him at the soft look on Wes' face that he flailed about mentally for balance. His hand dived through the dark mussed hair and dragged the human's head back to meet his intense stare. He could see the wild storm beginning to rage with primal force in the blueness of his lover's eyes. Washing away the calmness, the mask of self-assurance that Wesley held like a barrier between him and the world. Leaving only the Beast. A wild, primitive creature that craved his touch. His passion.

Him.

An animal that met him stroke for stroke. Passion for passion.

A beacon of light to his darkness.

“I need you.” Spike's eyes were blazing with raw, angry passion. He gripped Wesley's head tightly between his hands. “You don't know how soddin' bonkers it makes me to feel like this. For you. For anybody. I don't wanna feel like this. Not about another bloody human. Not again. But I can't stop it.” His voice was harsh, while his eyes reflected a painful, honest bewilderment. He crushed Wes' mouth beneath his even as he plunged deep into the human's body with little warning other than sketchily prepping the man. And stole Wesley's breath with the scorching kiss. He kissed him, licking and tasting and probing the honeyed warmth with erotic precision.

But Wesley tasted the terrified need and desperation in his lover's fierce onslaught. And this time, he gave himself willingly to the raging passion contained within Spike's cool body. Gave himself over to the desperate need even as he soothed the angry confusion that resided in the vampire.

Spike was wrong. So utterly and completely wrong. He understood the need. The desire. Because that same sense of uncontrollable desire, of want, raged deep within his soul.

With a hoarse cry, Wesley rocked upwards. A wanton act that allowed him to rock and rub himself against Spike's rockhard abdomen. He moaned deep in his throat at the lightening sensation that flared through him and pumped his hips again. And again. His next wild scream choked by Spike's lips coming down on his. A cool tongue slipped into his gasping mouth. Tangling with his with an impatient, cunning seduction even as a hard shaft lunged repeatedly into him. Destroying his body. Shattering his mind.

Rebuilding him with pleasure untold.

Spike groaned into the wet heat as his boy deliberately tightened those sweet arse muscles. So hot. So fuckin' incredibly hot. He chanted, unaware of the broken words dropping from his lips each time he thrust his length into the hot grasping channel.

“So tight.” His moan was lost between the moist, trembling lips he was drinking from with greedy enthusiasm. His world consisted simply of the sleek constricting channel that he was hammering. Color, scent...all gone. Only Wesley existed. His Wesley. His beautiful mate.

His.

Changing the angle of his thrusts, he was rewarded with a choked scream and a wildly bucking body. Bracing his hands on the bed, he felt Wes' legs climb his body and drop over his shoulders.

“So fuckin' good,” he murmured staring down into the dazed blue eyes. And all mine, he silently claimed. He dipped his head for another feverish kiss. A kiss that burned against his lips, it felt like he was fuckin' well dying all over again. It was so sharp and exquisite. He felt like he could see his soul shining brightly in Wes' blazing eyes. Touch it. Welcome it back into him.

He vamped out.

He put his hand on the flexing backside, squeezing and pulling Wesley deeper onto his plunging member. He lowered his head, nuzzled instinctively into the sleekly, arched throat of his mate. Wringing a whimpering cry of ecstasy from his human. At the full body shiver, he brushed his fangs delicately into the glistening throat. continued pistoning against the upturned buttocks. At odd intervals, pausing and changing once again the angle of his lunges. Each time, hitting the spangling prostate dead-on. To Wesley's endless gratification and pleasure.

Power and passion raged between them. He was powerful, able to crush the man beneath him with easy strength. But for all his power, it was tempered by a burgeoning love. A love he at last admitted was what he felt for Wesley. After Ethan had died several months ago, he had sworn that never again would he allow another human into his unlife. The damn things were too damn fragile. Always having to up and die on a bloke. Once he delivered some dumb mumbo-jumbo thing he had promised Eth he would deliver to Wesley, he was gonna be through with humans. For good.

Growling, he bit into the offered throat viperish speed as he felt his release near. With a long drawn howl, Spike flooded the spasming passage with his cool, lifeless seed. His hips beat a spastic tattoo against Wes as he thrust into the dark-haired man with sensual abandon. Lunging deeper when his boy tightened around him with a near painful grip.

The human cried out and long, fat strings of cum dappled the flesh between their straining bodies. Adding greatly sweaty wetness that glided Wesley.

As he glided back and forth in the wet, milking glove Spike smirked with tired wickedness. Wesley was trying to pull the last traces of cum from his body.

They lay sprawled, damp and sated on the even more rumpled bed. The only sound in the room was the breathless gasps of one thoroughly conquered and well satisfied human. Though Spike’s pale chest never rose up and down, he felt very strongly the need to gasp like a long distance runner, after the right proper shaggin' his Wes put him through.

....though one thing was for certain, he didn't think he would ever be done with this particular human.

* * *

Faith smiled at the letter in her hands as she, Spike and Wesley sped toward L.A. He was finally coming home! After three years in England, Xander was finally coming home. She darted a quick, secretive look at the back of Wesley's head and smirked. Who knew her Watcher was such a screamer?!

Wesley tried to keep his shoulders squared, but he could feel them hunching a bit. His face reddened with embarrassment as he felt a pair of speculative, amused eyes resting on him. First thing he was going to do when they got back to Sunnydale was soundproof the bedroom of their house. His face turned even redder as he recalled all the things he had said...oh rot it all! All the things he had screamed. Which should be rightly excused as being said in the heat of the moment.

He slid a look at an oblivious Spike who was staring out the window. His face softened. For three years, he and Ethan corresponded. At first it was out of curiosity that he had opened the first letter, wondering what the dark magus had to say to him. He was tickled at the fumigating words the enraged older man spewed about Spike, the wild threats of staking the snarky vampire. He had spent over an hour reading and re-reading the letter, laughing himself silly each time over the melodramatic way Ethan described their lives in Yorkshire. He was also touched and flattered by the plea for help from the Chaos mage in figuring out how to cope with one insane lover and one crazy lover. And he briefly speculated on which one was which. They talked, if only through their letters, about almost everything. Except for Wesley's unresolved feelings about Spike.

The first time Ethan mentioned it, the younger man had written a dignified but cool letter back informing the other that whatever feelings that he may or may not have had for Spike was, nor ever will be, ever of any concern of Ethan's. And should the magus have the discourtesy to persist, then he, meaning Wesley, would regretfully conclude their correspondence. Just like that, that was the end of Ethan mentioning the torch that the Watcher carried for Spike.

But that didn't mean that Ethan was inclined to take his none-too subtle hint to drop the subject. Blithely, the chaos magus continued corresponding with him as if everything was perfectly all right in the world. Ever so often, sliding in casual mentions of Spike. Dropping the odd little notes about the flattering comments the vampire had made about the Watcher. But every couple of months, the letters were spiced with blistering tirades about some annoying thing that either Spike or Dru had done.

However, it was Spike that had rang him up for help. Dru insisted on bringing the fully wolfed creature into their bed. Ethan naturally refused to have it in the bedroom with them. And the vampire was torn between quarreling lovers. While he didn't have a problem shaggin' the wolf, there was Eth clearly not wanting him to lower himself with buggerin' an animal. But there was Dru being happy and wanting to share her puppy with them. Ethan all stubborn and haughty and disdainful. Dru growing more nonsensical and stubborn in her own way. They were at an impasse. Neither budging an inch from their stands.

It took a letter from Wes to the quarreling lovers to break the stalemate. With Ethan relaxing his stand, allowing Spike to join Dru's games; and Dru allowing the chaos mage the courtesy to stay apart.

Three years later after numerous pleading letters and e-mails Xander was coming home! Angel and Cordy were struggling to contain their joy, all too aware of the disbelieving looks Gunn kept giving them.

It had been the toughest thing Angel had ever done. After graduation, forcing Xander to go to England and to the newly reformed Watcher's Council. He had to continue learning about the power of the Protector there. Not here. Things were still pretty much shaken up around here, especially with the demons still hunting Xander. His precious boy would be safer there. Beside, his Xander needed to learn things. Things that he couldn't teach him. Now, Xander was coming home. And he had surprises for them.

Doyle just smiled in understanding. He had heard enough about Xander to make a man sick. Listening to Cordy, the kid had to be ten feet tall and able to leap small buildings in a single bound. But this Xander kid made his princess happy, so that was good enough for him. Though it was a bit scary to see Angel smiling like that but he trusted the vampire. After all, if hadn't been for Angel calling for help when those sumavabitches tried to kill all the so-called 'half-breeds' probably him AND his family would have been toast.

Doyle shivered with mingled delight and terror recalling how thoroughly trashed those jacked up demon Nazi's had gotten when Angel's kindred had shown up.

The Head Scourge himself actually sneered and called that big vampire, Pascal, a half-breed! A fuckin' half-breed...and to his face, at that! Doyle shook his head in awed remembrance. He had forgotten just how extremely deadly vampires could be. Then again, he ain't never seen anyone that big move that fast.

One second, Tal'ne was sneering and the next his head was ripped off with a wet sound. For a few seconds there was this god almighty shocked silence. Everybody was gaping at Pascal like they just couldn't believe what he had just done. And he kept on standing there with Tal'ne's head dangling from one freakin' big, hand. Too bad them Scourges didn't get a clue that maybe they shoulda backed the fuck off. They attacked, but vampires came out of nowhere.

It was a beau-ti-ful sight!

He really shoulda put a $20 spot or somethin' on that fight, Doyle silently mourned. Then he cheered up, but hey, at least his family and all the other half-breeds escaped. Though one of vampires that helped died stopping the boom But more of the Scourgy demons died...which almost evened things out a bit.

Sneaking a look at his Princess, Doyle smiled. His aunts thought Cordy was just what he needed to straighten him out. With a fond look in his eyes, he agreed wholeheartedly with them.

“So, like who the hell is this Xander that got you all jazzed up and Angel...” Gunn paused searching frantically for a word to describe the disturbingly, creepy smile on his boss' face. “...happy,” he finished weakly at her inquiring look. Hell, in the year he had known Angel, he ain't never seen the dude so much as crack a smile. Homme had that 'lost my job, my girl and my crib and now I hafta live with momma' look down pat.

Now look at him...Gunn shivered before his shoulders straightened with grim determination. If Angel asked him one more time 'Wassssuupppp?' he was gonna pop'im in the mouth. There was only so much that a brotha could put up with, Gunn thought indignantly. And being asked 'Wassup' for the fifteenth time was just too much!

“Angel's mate...” Cordy smiled brightly. Eagerly she arranged her desk just so, wanting to impress Xander at how well she had taken to working for a living. Smugly certain that he would be absolutely dumbstruck at how she ran Angel’s office. Why do people complain all the time about how hard working for a living is?! It was a snap! Even Angel was amazed at how efficiently she ran his office.

Cordy frowned slightly. Well, he didn't exactly come right out and SAY it. But it was written all over his face every time he came out of his office and saw her sitting at her desk.

Working.

Filing.

Making sure her nails, hair and face looked immaculate. Daddy always said that you never got a second chance to make a first impression. And she intended to make sure that the first thing the clients saw when they walked through those doors were of her. Looking impossibly beautiful, groomed and totally bitchin'. Hopefully, they'll be so impressed that they won't notice what the boys were wearing.

Her face resumed its sunny expression. Not that she wasn't grateful for Angel taking her with him when he decided to settle in LA, but she did miss Faith and Wes.

“M...m...mate? Angel's gay? Since when? I thought him and that damn blonde copchick was knocking boots,” Gunn exclaimed in shock.

“Puh…leeze! She wished!” Cordy snorted contemptuously. Her eyes narrowed viciously. “Every time anything happens in this city that she THINKS is supernatural, Ms. SuperCop comes running here! HEL..LO! I mean, what...are we supposed to do HER work for her too?” She sneered as she gathered together papers relating to their latest case. Shoving them into a file, she casually handed the stack to Gunn. “Here…go file these under 'B'.”

Automatically Gunn took the folders. Once again wondering when he became her assistant. Not that she did anything but order people around. Then he blinked in confusion as he studied one of the files.

“Cordy, I thought Angel said they were Nestroumd demons.”

Cordy rolled her eyes and sighed in exasperation. “They were bugs! So they go under 'B' for bugs! D’uh!” Then turning slightly away, she muttered softly under her breath, “How in the hell can I work as a secretary if people don't know how to file?”

Behind her back, Gunn raised the files as if to hit her before sighing and shaking his head.

Then at hearing a snicker, she turned and glared at the stairs at the blonde vampire descending them. “Spike, was it my imagination or did I hear Angel tell you that you're not supposed to be smokin' in here?”

The blonde gave her a cool dismissive look and blew a cloud of noxious smoke in her direction. “Pro'ly yer imagination, ya always was a daft bint,” he drawled derisively. Smirking at the black look she gave him. He loved getting the feisty little chit all riled up. She was one of the few that gave back as good as she got. Gunn coughed and turned around hastily to conceal his laughter. Cordy gave his shaking shoulders a suspicious glare but turned back around to her main target.

“Like he can't smell those funky things you like smoking?” Then Cordy's eyes hardened slightly as a familiar body slowly descended the staircase. Spike's eyes flashed warningly at the dark-haired girl and Cordy's lips tightened in annoyance before she looked away. No matter what Angel and Xander said to the contrary, she preferred not to have too many dealings with HER. Willow may have changed...but she didn't have to like her.

Spike glanced up at the redhead behind him, no trace of visible emotion in his cool blue eyes as he regarded the little witch. He knew she was hurting something fierce by the tight look around her eyes and mouth but other than that, Willow didn't give any other sign of pain.

“You alright, Red?” he asked coolly with an arch of his brow.

Willow gave him a tight smile, more of a grimace to be frank, but that was about all she could spare right now. And Spike nodded approvingly...he had trained her well to endure pain. The slightly-built girl took a deep breath and gritted her teeth. Swallowing against the torment that flared in her right leg, she took another limping step down. Then simply rested for a few minutes, waiting for the flare of pain to die down.

Just this morning, she had been woken out of a sound sleep by excruciating agony in her leg. Jamming a pillow into her mouth, she bit down hard and simply rode it out. Every fiber in her being screaming at the torturous pain. Carving the import of the glyphs into her soul and mind as well as her leg, she could see the flare of light as the mages and witches of the Shadow Council etched the next exercise in magic into her flesh. Pain altered her perception of where she was. In the darkness of her mind, she was in a darkened room, watching a blurry vision unfurl like a red lotus flower. The pain was overwhelming as she struggled to see the lesson that was unfolding for her. Because if she couldn't see it, the lesson would just repeat itself again and again. Until she finally was able to view it in its entirety. As Spike taught her, she endured the pain, controlled it. Used it to sharpen the image from beginning to end, glyphs and other symbols marched in a straight line.

Her fifth lesson plan was laid out in the theater of her mind. Words scrolled across the darkness, explaining what this glyph meant and what that symbol meant. Detailing with stark clarity the consequences should the spell be incorrectly cast. With a gasp of release, Willow felt the pain fade. Coming back to herself, and at the ache in her jaw, the redheaded witch tried to unclench her teeth from the pillow. Very much surprised that her jaw hadn't shattered under the stress.

It was believed that the disciplines of magical power should be grounded in something tangible, it weeded out the dabblers and the dilettantes from the ones desiring to learn the true principles of magic. Pain was a very valuable component in the lesson plan. Learning magic in this fashion was a commitment of a lifetime. Bringing home a very valuable lesson: There was always a price to pay for magic. This fact was burned indelibly into a novice witch's brain.

Once she practiced the spell, mentally only, and demonstrated that she understood the principles behind the lesson, glyphs were carved into her other leg. Someday, her body would resemble a proud monument to scarification. But right now, she hurt! Maybe she was too hasty in agreeing to the Protector's job offer.

Then glancing at the curl of derision on Cordy's lips, Willow stiffened her spine and brought everything that Spike had taught her, to bear on the pain. Submerging herself and tolerating it. And once again extremely surprised that she was able to stand, much less walk somewhat normally. It used to take her a full day to recover from Spike's worthy 'lessons'.

Spike glanced at the girl with narrowed eyes and a faint smile.

She'll do.

According to what Ethan and the Protector told him, it would take Red a real long time to even access a fraction of the power she used to have. Right now Willow probably couldn't even light a candle with her magic. Not that she didn't have the power in spades, but the girl wasn't crazy. 'Sides that collar around her neck prevented her from doing anything but simple spells. Them Shadow witches and such were grounding the bint in basic, elementary magic. Because until they were convinced she understood solid principles they weren't letting her go any further. Less chance of the little witch fuckin' up with her magic and screwing things around.

Spike shuddered, he could just see it now. Red getting all upset, trying to cast a spell and mucking it up to hell and back.

*

Xander stepped through the door of the Hyperion with a hesitant smile. A wary light pulsed softly in wide brown eyes as he regarded the group standing in what he presumed was the lobby. After all it had been a couple of years since he had set eyes on Cordy, Angel and Faith. And despite the numerous emails and almost unlimited phone calls that had bounced back and forth over the Atlantic he still felt a little nervous over their response.

While it appeared that none of them had changed, he could spot the subtle differences in Cordy, and especially in Faith. A change he regarded with narrowed eyed wonder as his eyes slid to the tall, young black guy she was subtly leaning towards. His astonishment deepening at the blush that crossed the formerly brash and worldly Slayer.

“Oh, cut that shit out! Get your ass over here and give me a fuckin’ hug!” Faith swiftly recovered her composure and gave Xander a mocking, teasing smile.

“Whew!” Xander said feelingly as he walked further into the hotel. “For a minute there I thought maybe the plane had jumped into an alternate dimension!” He hitched the straps on his shoulders higher as the mood was broken and his friends rushed him in a tidal wave of greetings.

Cordy, the first to reach him, abruptly pulled back. Her brows contracting in a frown, she stared over his shoulders at the two children following behind him, both with dark creamy complexions. Reminding her of milk, with just a hint of fine chocolate. She stared with amused eyes at one child in particular. All big, blue eyes. His eyes were so striking set against his darkened skin. With fat, rounded cheeks, a little bow mouth and a mop of tousled curls he formed a picture of a cherubic little angel. A beautiful four-foot high doll. Cordy hid a smile at the firm Ain’t-Nobody-Gonna-Separate-Me handgrip the boy had on the back of Xander’s pants and the suspicious look he was giving all of them.

“Uhm, Xan…don’t wanna scare you or anything but did you know you have a little boy growing out of your leg?” Then her eyes widened at the loud squall that came from the figure in the babysack on Xander’s back. “And another one growing out of your back!”

Then coltishly slender pre-teen stepped forward to stand at Xander’s side. Like the little boy she was equally beautiful. Her darkened skin called attention to a riveting pair of blue eyes set like jewels on her face. Dark hair, done in a multitude of exotic braids cascaded down her back. Cordy sighed in disgusted admiration, damn was she getting old?

With a lift of her chin, the young girl met their bemused eyes challengingly. “My name’s Dawn. Me and Xander is friends,” she announced with a fine show of bravado in her accented voice. She glared around as if anybody that dared to dispute her claim of friendship with Xander was going to get a good thumping.

Then her eyes widened, a look of pure delight suffusing her cafe-au-lait.

“SPIKE!” She took off like a shot at the familiar pale face of her buddy.

“Poppet…” Spike drawled out with a slight smile of affection. He easily caught her slight body in his arms, raising her high enough so her long legs could wrap securely around his mid-section. And when another, smaller figure cannonballed into his legs, he easily one-handedly hauled Connor into a secure position against his side. He growled slightly at the pout Lil’bit gave at his actions. He ignored the rest of the commotion as he reacquainted himself with his ‘kids’.

“That, as you might have guessed, is Dawn and the other limpet attached to Spike is Connor,” Xander said wryly at the engrossed trio talking about everything and anything. Once again, marveling at Spike’s patience with the two kids and seemingly attentive expression the vampire wore whenever one of the children spoke. Especially the five-year-old Connor. When he got excited, the boy had a tendency to jumble his words up into unrecognizable words.

“And…?” Faith raised a brow inquiringly. Even Wesley looked interested in wanting to know where the children came from.

“And what?” Xander looked around in puzzlement, then his expression cleared at the demanding cry from the baby. “Oh! These are Lydia Thompson’s kids. You guys remember me telling you about her...” and he lowered his voice to a whisper, “...passing away eight months ago. Their father thought it would be best to leave them in London, where things are familiar, you know, give them time to grieve, before bringing them back to America. I’ve sorta been taking care of them whenever he had to go away on business. And since I was coming back, he asked if I could escort them back. He’s coming to pick them up in about three or four days. That bundle of maniac energy over with Spike is Connor and this here,” he aimed a thumb at the slumbering baby in the knapsack, “is Michael.”

Angel relaxed from a tension he wasn't aware he had been feeling. While he KNEW the child wasn't Xander's he couldn't help but wonder what was or had been Xander’s relationship to the child. When he made Xander leave to learn more about being the Protector, to be introduced to the now re-formed Shadow Council, he had made it perfectly clear that if Xander met someone, someone that he felt a connection to, that it was perfectly alright for his young lover to ‘experiment’. He nearly ground his teeth into powder at that bald-faced lie.

But at the quick jealous gleam that lit Xander’s eyes, and the angry demand about whether Angel would have the same rights he made haste to soothe his angry lover. Explaining why he made the offer. That most humans went through several lovers before finding the one that they wanted to commit themselves to for, hopefully, the rest of their lives. He had to smile at the sulky stubborn look that instantly appeared on Xander’s face. He wasn’t surprised at the airy, “Oh, we don't have to worry about THAT!”

Then hardly daring to look, for fear of what he would see, Xander finally looked at Angel with what he assumed was confident nonchalance. He wasn’t to know that his gaze reflected all the anxious and nervous uncertainty he felt.

Angel smiled warmly at his handsome lover. The old philosophers surely must have been talking about Xander when they said the eyes were the windows to the soul. His Xander had a pair of truly the most beautiful, clear eyes he had every seen. Everything the boy felt was reflected in that wide-eyed gaze.

“Hey…” Xander said shyly once the others had fell back to give them some privacy. He peeked at Angel with a sweet, hesitant smile.

“Hey yourself,” Angel whispered back, still smiling at his lover. His eyes searching the beloved face, marveling at the changes two years had made in Xander's physical makeup. While he was still as youthful as the others, but like Cordy and Willow, there was a dark, haunted knowledge in his eyes. A kindred look of jadedness existed in all of Sunnydale residents, he abruptly realized. A look that clearly said, “We know for a fact that the fearful creatures of the night don’t just exist as fairytales.”

They exist as a reality for those that could see them, and a deadly certainty for those that refused to see.

Once again Angel found himself comparing the lightheartedness and coyness found in Cordy and Faith as opposed to the grimness that seemed to want to take up permanent residence on Gunn’s face. He slowly came to the conclusion that Cordy, and for that matter all of the surviving residents of Sunnydale, learned to find a balance in their lives against the darkness. Or go mad.

Xander slowly began smiling at the warm glow of love that softened the shadowed, honey-colored eyes of his mate. Feeling uncomfortable at the longing that filled him, the irritation of wanting everybody AWAY he ducked his head to re-gather his composure. A slight aggrieved expression on his face as he wondered how it was possible that Angel could reduce him to a stuttering, gawky teenager. Heck, who was the one that mediated the truce between those two warring clans of Antock demons, he thought indignantly.

~“Me....”~ was the Protector's calm reply.

Xander paused in his angry thoughts. His momentum lost at the unexpected rejoiner. Then figuratively hitching up his pants, he shot back, ~“Yeah, but I helped!”~

The Protector regarded him coolly. ~“Injecting your particular brand of humor in the deliberations was, as I said before, absolutely UNNECESSARY. Considering that it almost led to open warfare, I believe my point was strongly reinforced.”~

~“Yeah, but at least it got them talking!”~ Xander insisted mulishly.

~“Yelling, screaming and brandishing sharp weapons should, under no circumstance, be considered TALKING,” ~ the Protector stated dryly.

Knowing he was losing the argument, Xander hurriedly backed off.

Dawn blinked as she caught sight of Willow standing hesitantly on the sidelines. The young girl released her grip on Spike to greet the solemn faced witch with her own tentative smile.

There was a time when she used to be curious about the tension behind the older girl and everybody else. So being blithely unconcerned by the sheer immorality of spying on others conversation, she set out to learn all she could. After all, what if Willow was some kinda mass murder? She had a duty to protect her mother, father and little brother. Having talked herself into ‘protecting’ her family, she had shamelessly eavesdropped. What she had found out was so shocking and horrifying that she had instinctively drew away from Spike, hardly able to reconcile the Spike that teased her and jollied her out of her bad moods with the Spike that was doing such awful things to Willow. Not knowing what to do or how to react, she tried her best to avoid him. Flinching away from him for fear that he would turn on her.

What made it so bad was the uneasy knowledge that the adults knew what was going on, but none of them were doing anything to stop him. Which meant that they were condoning what Spike was doing, but WHY? She knew that they would be very cross with her if they found out that SHE knew. But how could she keep silent? Should she go to the police? The Watchers? What?

Troubled by indecision, she fell silent. Had it not been for the nightmare two days later after her discovery, perhaps she would have gone on being scared and angry at him. In addition to possibly getting the entire Society into a lot of trouble as well. Waking up screaming, her father came running and held her. Comforting her until the shudders left her. This time when he demanded answers, it all spilled out between blubbering sobs. What Spike was doing to Miss Willow.

She was halfway expecting her father to laugh and tell her what a silly goose she was being. But she was shocked when he began explaining what was going on. Through she had a sneaking suspicion that what he told her was the carefully edited version that was suitable for her tender years. Like she was a baby!

But that night her father quietly explained the Why of what Spike was doing and that this was something Willow had consented to. He had left the decision in her hands, as to whether she could accept the cruel, vicious Spike as well as the teasing, older brother Spike.

While initially it was difficult, it became easier once she stopped trying to separate the two sides of him. He was still the same Spike that made her laugh and giggle, that told bloodthirsty tales of gore and revenge. The comforting presence that she curled up against when watching scary movies, though he did ruin them with his mocking comments at the best, scariest parts.

Coming out of her reverie, Dawn regarded the fragile looking witch. “Hello Miss Willow,” she said with a half-smile of greeting.

“Hello Dawn,” Willow said gravely, her eyes calm as she watched the slender young girl. “How did you enjoy your flight over?”

“Oh, it was okay…” Dawn replied absently, her attention drawn to the slight hitch in Willow’s step. Her head tilted to the side as she regarded the older girl. “New lesson?” she guessed with a frown.

“Yeah,” Willow said with a fleeting grimace. Then carefully she wiped all visible traces of pain from her face at the sound of Xander calling her name. Turning she met his eyes with cool composure, stiffening slightly against the look of compassion in his soft brown eyes. But mentally she sighed and shook her head in dismay. How on earth did he expect to be any type of Protector if he continuously worried about her? It was a weakness that she was positive would be his downfall.

And the Protector’s.

However, she shuddered as cool whiteness stole across Xander's warm brown eyes. In fear, she instinctively dropped her own. While she was sure that Xander would not try to hurt her any further, she was most definitely not going to challenge the good will of the Protector. Because she was quite certain that it had none. Especially not when it came to looking after the interest of its' chosen representative.

In her stringent efforts to avoid the Protector's eyes and attention, she missed the quiet entrance of two more members of Xander's party. But at a choked gasp, she brought her eyes up swiftly. Her eyes, along with the rest of the Hyperion and Sunnydalers widening in sheer disbelief.

Buffy.

Giles.

Willow's mouth closed with an audible snap, her lips pressed in a bloodless line to prevent any words of criticism from escaping her tight mouth. But her eyes spoke volumes. An encyclopedia of words reflecting her unvoiced opinion of bringing those two here of all places.

Giles’ mouth curved upwards in a twisted smile of cold mockery at the little witch. Idiot child! He mentally sneered, all too aware of her scathing look of contempt and reproach. He ignored the shocked looks on the other's faces with cool aplomb. Despite anyone's objections, he was quite aware that Xander would be eminently qualified to talk them into accepting their presence.

Dropping his luggage, he swiftly pinched Buffy before her foolishness brought down the collar's wrath on them. Whatever one did, both were equally punished. “Be silent, you silly child!” he hissed viciously to her when she turned a sullen scowl on him.

You would have thought after almost two years of incarceration something would have curbed the silly chit's unfortunate tendency to speak before thinking, he thought with angry irritation. For a brief moment, malicious amusement glittered in his eyes at the thought of witnessing his erstwhile charge beaten and humbled by her fellow inmates.

Giles looked around the lobby of the hotel and sniffed, his lip curving upwards in a slight unamused smile at the furious looks he and Buffy were the recipients of. With grudging admiration he thought Angel was finally doing something right as benefit the vampire's Master status. His eyes rested briefly on Xander's tensed figure before sliding away with apparent unconcern. Judging by Angel's rigid posture and frozen look, the boy was fiercely arguing with the vampire to allow he and Buffy to stay at the hotel. He had no doubts as who would win the intense argument going on. That disreputable boy could perhaps argue the sea into turning purple. After a while you grew numb and agreed. Anything to still the boy's incessant flapping tongue. He had no doubt as to whose idea it was to garner his and Buffy's release from imprisonment. Left to Ethan's rather unrelenting hatred, he had been expecting to be roasting over an open fire. As always wondering how he could have been so bloody wrong about someone.

Giles fell into a slight brooding reverie as he waited to be shown to his room. While life in prison was certainly no prize, what with the too frequent beatings he endured from his fellow inmates, at least he was assured that he needn't worry over the fear of being raped at the hands of some of the more massive brutes.

Convinced that rescue was imminent, he choose to distance himself from the unsavory individuals within the prison confines. Treating those about him with haughty disdain. Which, in hindsight, was perhaps not the best idea.

***FLASHBACK***

After three rather messily, gruesome deaths by an invisible assailant, all in front of witnesses, easily convinced the general populace that one Rupert Giles' arse was to be left strictly alone. However, those of a more scientific bent found that his protection extended only to rape. The rest of his body was fair game. A fact that was gleefully taken advantage of. If they couldn't have his arse, then they would turn to the next best thing...beating the living hell out of him.

So he endured. Silently. Stolidly. Wrapping the ragged bits of pride about him as if to armor him against the slings and arrows of his fellow inmates empty, rapacious eyes. Gathering his pride and solitude as weapons. One aging warrior valiantly defending the broken-down remnants of a once mighty castle.

His efforts were futile, of course. For with hard brutish fists, vicious shoes and clever little weapons they lay siege to his fortress of solitude. Nights. Days. They all ran together within his mind. Time and time again, he was attacked. Different members of prison cliques wanted him, or better yet, they didn't want the others to have him. But only on their terms.

What they couldn't do by rape, they chose to do by assault. They wanted him broken and controlled.

Under the unrelenting attacks, his body grew weaker. Frailer. But inside, buried deep within, lay rigorous training methods he endured to become a Watcher. .

Once again, he was called upon to endure. His mind grew fiercer and tougher. Colder. He was determined to survive. There was so much seething rage that it gave him strength not to give in. To ride out the attacks with pretend weakness. He played the cowering, spineless fool with sullen ease. All he needed was time. And they bought his cowardly act. For with with sadistic relish, he was allowed time to heal. Giving his body time to grow as strong as his will.

He began surreptitiously observing them, his attackers as they swaggered about, playing King of the Hill. Always in danger of being toppled off their precarious throne.

Left temporarily to his own devices, he used his talents as a Watcher to do what he was trained. He watched. He had assumed what held these uncouth men together was strength and necessity. Yet beneath the men's rough exterior and harsh, brutish ways, there was also affection. Caring. Respect.

Friendship.

A fact he was very much loath to see.

So unwillingly he was to see, that he again choose solitude rather than drop to their barbaric level. This time, he wound up in the infirmary. His recovery was a slow, painful process and he was attended by a quiet, serenely composed old man.

A lifer.

One frustrating day, as he lay stewing over the sorry state of his life, the old man spoke.

“Ya know, you remind me of an emperor the way you carry yourself. All prideful and dignified,” the old man said quietly as he swept the room.

Giles cast a cold, imperious eye at the man. Secretly he was thrilled to be compared to an emperor. He sniffed haughtily, disdaining to reply.

“Yeah, like that emperor with no clothes on,” continued the sweeper. His voice still low and soft.

The bedridden man gaped in shock, his face tightening in futile rage as his fists clenched.

The old man stopped his motions, finally looking at Giles. He nodded slowly as if confirming something that only he could see. “I've been here for a very long time. Ya see, the keepers kinda trust me. 'Sides, they know that there's no place for me to go.” He waited silently to see if Giles would respond, but the younger man pursed his lips and angrily looked away.

“I saw your file in the Warden's office,” the man continued softly. He came closer. “I got curious, which is strange, since I normally don't. Get curious, I mean. But I did. And I did some checking on you. I have lots of friends on the outside, you see,” he said almost apologetically. “On the outside you seemed to have it all. Friends, people that looked up to you, children that actually listened to you. Something that's kinda miraculous from what people tell me.” The man laughed hoarsely as if to share the joke.

But Giles still refused to look at the man. He stared stonily at the blank wall.

“So, what happened? What's your side of the story?” the man asked, his voice soft and mild. Giles tightened his lips over the words that wanted to spew from his lips. He gritted his teeth, struggling with his temper and the knot of rage that threatened to steal his breath.

The old man waited, then shrugged. “Oh, well, I just thought you might like to tell your side,” he said and turned away.

“It wasn't my fault!” The words burst from his lips.

“Hmmm...?” Slowly the old man turned to face the furious younger man.

“It wasn't my fault...” the impulsive words shot out from his mouth again. Spitefully, he decided to go for broke and tell the man about Slayers and the Council. Justifying it in his mind that since he wasn't a Watcher, he no longer was bound by their strictures. “Just because I wanted my Slayer to be a better Slayer than Faith, I get punished!” Encouraged by the quiet patience in the old man's eyes, the story spilled eagerly from Giles lips. His version of events, of course.

Throughout his recuperation, he had the company of the old man. To whom he confided almost every detail of Sunnydale life. Demons and all. He dwelt forcefully on the many injustices he received, on how hard he tried to help Xander and the others. And what was the thanks he received? Imprisonment.

He droned on with angry rhetoric to the man who listened without reproach. Merely injecting an idle remark or comment into the words that spewed from the younger man's lips. With careless ease, Giles allowed the mild queries to slid past, and if pressed he would swiftly change the subject. And unconcerned, the man would let him.

When he was released, he wondered if he would see his listener again. To his pleased surprise, the old man was the prison librarian. Often stopping by his cell with the book cart and spending time with him. Listening to his angry comments with an noncommittal expression.

To add to his pleasure, he found that the prisoners viewed the old man as sanconsact. As a byproduct of the old man's company, he discovered he was seemingly offlimits to the masses.

Gathering his courage, Giles approached a group of his fellow inmates. He only wanted to know the man's name. Every time he asked the man, all he would receive in return was a gentle smile and a request to call him 'Old Man'.

“Uhm...er...I say, excuse me but could you tell me the name of the Book Cart Librarian?”

One of the men raised a brow. “Ya mean da old man? Cuz, dat's his name. Ol' Man. Leastwise, dat's the o'ly one I ever hear n'body call 'im.”

Giles ran the man's words through his internal linguistic translator. He nodded silently to himself before turning about. Giles paused in mid-step, slowly he turned around and quietly thanked the man. Leaving swiftly, he didn't see the astonishment on the men's faces at his courteous words.

It was only when a new inmate arrived and attacked him, did he finally understand what Old Man's had been trying to tell him. Teach him.

That afternoon, seeing that brutish man rushing at him. A twisted sneer on that red, congested face. Then Old Man stepped solemnly into the man's path and was carelessly knocked to the ground. There was a crack and a cry of pain. And sharp, abrupt hush fell over the prison yard. A silence pregnant with awful terrible violence.

Unconcerned about his would-be attacker, Giles fell to his knees beside the stricken man. His hands trembled, fluttered in the air over the fragile body, unsure where to help. He didn't see the other prisoners roughly grab hold of the other man and throw him to the ground. His attention was focused on the faded blue eyes of Old Man.

“Why...?” he breathed gently. He could have defeated his attacker. Either that or wound up in the infirmary. Better that, than seeing Old Man broken....

His chest beginning to hurt at the sight of bright streaks of blood on the thin, withered lips.

...and dying

“Run...” was whispered.

Giles blinked. “What...?” Then he looked around, suddenly aware of a growling sound coming from behind him. All about him, the prisoners and guardsmen in the yard bore looks of bestial fury. Various gangs were gathered into their own individual cliques, as something seemed to snap within the men.

He looked back down to Old Man. “What's happening...?” And over in the far corner, screaming began as old feuds and grudges overrode the truces forged in the hard cement walls.

“You...always...wanted....” the old man paused, gathering his remaining strength, “...to know...my name. It's Cain...” the man sighed out with his final breath as shattering, unbelievable truth in the fading light of his eyes.

Giles carefully stood up, his mind numb under the shattering truth. Slowly he backed away. As far away as he could get.

Cain. Brother-killer. Murderer. Immortal. Cursed to live. And die. Over and over again.

Giles looked around frantically for someplace to escape. But to his horror all he could see was knots of men, brawling with almost inhuman ferocity. All around him, prisoners and guardsmen alike were attacking each other. Roars of animalistic fury resounded in the yard.

All he could hear was the screaming. An strident din of so many voices that all the screams became part of an vast endless undulating outcry. And just below the wave of noise, he could hear the unmistakably sound of flesh on flesh contact. Fists and feet were flying, pulled back and connecting with brutal efficiency against soft, vulnerable flesh.

And he stood, temporarily forgotten amid the chaos around him. Friendless. Alone. No ally to ward his back or front.

When one turned towards him, he saw nothing but death and madness. His death reflected in those madden eyes.

He ran. Ran as fast as his trembling legs could carry him. Away from them. Away from HIM. Huddled in a corner of his cell, his hands pressed to his ears in a futile effort to block out the noise, he listened to the screaming. And prayed that they wouldn't come for him.

After that, he learned. And eventually wound up gaining his own little coterie of men about him. Something that the already more tenured cliques took great exception, and viewed his swift rise within the walls of the prison as a threat.

He never once thought to use the dubious parting 'gift' that Ethan had sent him. Not because he thought it would fail spectacularly. On the contrary, there was no doubt in his mind that it would work, far too well! He had no illusions about Ethan's cold hatred to even consider using the amulet for help. Prison was bad, but it was survivable. Ethan's magic more than likely would not allow him any chance of survival.

But that afternoon, seeing those brutish men rushing into the shower. Tossing aside his allies like so many match sticks. All he could hear was the screaming. There was so much yelling and furious outcries as fists and feet were used with brutal efficiency against naked vulnerable flesh. The water was soon running red with blood. Sickening cracks resounded loudly in the room as heads collided with walls. And he so fled. Clutched the amulet and screamed desperately for Ethan's help. Hoping and praying that once he was gone, that they would at least leave his people alone.

Clutching the amulet Ethan had given him, he screamed for help. With nothing left to bargain with, he had traded his self for the men that had shown him how to be a 'stand up' man. Giving himself over into Ethan's keeping, he prayed for some shred of mercy.

*****End Flashback***.

Giles came out of his dark introspective mood with a slight start and focused on the disgustingly cheerful look on Xander's face.

“C'mon, Angel said you can stay!”

Wearily, Giles grabbed his meager belongings and followed after the eagerly, chattering young man as they trailed after a bemused looking Black man who was on escort duty.

Entering the room assigned to him, Giles unpacked his sparse clothing and resumed his dark thoughts. He snorted softly in amused wonder. His men. Oh, yes, he could just see the look of cold contempt on their disturbingly hard faces. The only reason why he became the default leader was because they didn't have anyone else stupid enough to put themselves forward.

But they did, in truth, look upon him as a leader. Mainly because he was no man's meat.

Oh to be sure, he was not their friend and more than likely would never be their 'buddy' or 'pal' or any one of those obnoxious words Americans liked to toss about. But he was smart. He was a thinker. And that, sometimes, was far more deadly and dangerous than even brute strength. So they watched him with cool, neutral eyes. Watched him get beaten down. Again and again. But they also saw him get up. And they judged him calmly, coldly with clear seeing eyes. There was no hidden agenda behind their request. Just a simple quid pro quo. They would run interference for him; he would think for them.

Naturally he got rid of them right quick. He was a Giles after all. He may be reduced to…this wretched life. But he had the pride of a long line of forebears to uphold the dignity of.

However, as it was quietly pointed out, he was in prison. So where was the pride and dignity in that?

Angered by their words, he sent them packing. Yet there was something about these ruffians that made him abruptly reconsider their offer. That, and a sincere desire not to be beaten to a bloody pulp again.

Somewhere along the line he began to actually care about the men under his dubious command. He struggled harder to protect them. To use what limited skills he had to keep them safe from predation of others. He was no Ethan or Angel, or even Faith with their supernatural strength and magic. Tales of demons and other esoteric evils didn't make them blink and regard him with wonder and fear. But what he did have was his wits. And he used his wits to the utmost to help them survive the prison jungle. That was something they found impressive.

And in surrender, he found strength.

Acceptance.

Himself.

They didn't give a tuppence that he had been a Watcher; they most certainly didn't give a rat's arse that his last name was Giles and that he could trace his family history back for four hundred years. What they felt was important, and he wholeheartedly agreed with them, was avoiding by a clever application of diplomacy and shrewd intelligence and anything else that came to mind, all attacks by the various warring gangs that permeated the prison.

What he gave in knowledge, they gave back strength of arms and protection.

Quid pro quo.

Giles well remembered how he begged and pleaded with Xander, with Ethan…even with mad Dru for them to save his ‘men’. Even as he screamed the words, he cursed himself bitterly for giving them a means to his compliance. He saw the astonished look on Buffy's face fade into one of scorn before the daft girl dropped her eyes. But he knew his former charge all too well and he saw the sly look she cast Xander.

She would learn. He had no doubt that she would learn just who held the reins in this dog and pony show. That is, if Xander didn't kill her first.

Giles sighed as he sat on a dusty bed. He regarded the room with a jaundiced eye. Well, old boy, looks like this will be your new home for quite some time, he thought wryly.

“Well, it could be worse. I could be sharing a room with Buffy. No doubt a fate worse than death.” He chuckled harshly at his jest. Then a vision of Ethan's wasted body flowed across his mind. His mouth turned down at the vivid reminder of how deeply he had been hated. While undoubtedly flattering to know that after all these years you can provoke such intense and strong emotions in someone; however, one really needed to take a good long hard look at oneself. Especially when someone hates you with so much passion that they would willingly hasten their own death to bring about your downfall.

For that was what Ethan had done. The instant he had seen the almost unrecognizable figure, he knew that was what Ethan had done. Used his own death to retrieve him and Buffy as well as power the geas spell when he and the girl appeared in Yorkshire. Merely trading one cage for another. Though to be sure, while it was only a cold dungeon in some ancient moldy castle, it was still a cell. A prison.

The bloody fool had used deathmagic to lay a geas upon them. Forever yoking them to Xander's side until the soddin'’ fool released them. Giles’ lip curled upwards in a twisted smile, a cold vicious light of rage glittered brightly in his eyes. He knew what they wanted and he would be damned and twice damned before he crawled and licked that buggerin' child's boots!

Then he gasped abruptly, his hands flying to his throat as the black metallic collar tightened warningly about his neck. Equally sure in the room next door that Buffy was in the same straits as he. Giles worked frantically to still the anger in his mind and heart, struggling to cast aside the bitterness he felt towards Xander.

*

In her room, Buffy lay wheezing on the bed as her collar slowly loosened its grip around her throat. She growled softly, wishing she had Giles head in her hands so she could pound some sense into him. He was always yapping at her to stay calm, well he needed to follow his own damn advice. She ignored the slight redheaded girl that had entered her room and was watching her with hidden amusement in leaf-green eyes. Forgetting herself, Buffy entertained herself with a brief image of going Slayer on Willow’s wussy ass. Then her eyes widened and a speculative light grew in her eyes at the lack of pain. Well, well, well…Buffy smirked internally to herself.

People always underestimated her because she was small and blonde. But just because she chose not to act all brainiac and stuff didn’t mean she couldn’t figure out things by herself. It wasn’t like she needed Giles to do her thinking. It may take her awhile but eventually she would reach a Gilesidea.

All that time in prison, getting her ass kicked she had thought long and hard every time she landed in the infirmary. Broken arms, legs, ribs generally had a tendency to slow you down. Force you to THINK. The first couple of times all she could think about was revenge. Revenge against every last one of those stinking bastards that put her in fuckin’ prison. Sneering all the while at that little pussy, Xander. Cuz for sure she KNEW it was him that got everybody to back off from killing her. Allowing both her and Giles to live. Show them mercy, she remembered sneering. But as the months passed her fury settled to a molten burn, she began to think. Thought about WHY would Xander show them even the slightest bit of mercy. And she grew more uneasy at what point her thoughts kept circling around to, the conclusion she kept reaching despite herself.

Every time they turned around, there THEY were. Waiting for them. At every turn, her and Giles got their asses handed to them on a plate. Then caged. Locked and throw away the key caged. So why leave them alive? To learn the dubious error of their ways? Like that’ll happen!

The only reason she kept coming back to: So that they would know defeat. It simply wasn't enough to kill her and Giles. Oh no, they had to know they were utterly, thoroughly beaten.

Ground into the dirt. Useless. Nothing.

But which one of them came up with the idea? Spike and Dru were easily dismissed, they didn't care enough. Faith and Cordy were also eliminated, they were like her. Kill now, worry later. Impulsive they were and would have gone straight for the kill. Angel and Wesley, she was sure would have killed them with a coldness that would chill the bones.

Which left only Ethan, Xander and the Protector. And less slowly, she eliminated the Protector and thought even slower about Xander and Ethan, before carefully dismissing Ethan. While she didn’t have any doubts that he could have and would have killed her, but Giles he would have had a delightfully twisted, fiendish torture planned for him. Something like chestnuts roasting over an open fire.

Leaving only...Xander.

The joker. The jester. The donutboy.

Her attention was brought back to the present when Willow cleared her throat noisily.

“Something I can do for you Willow?” Buffy asked with pretended calm as she turned slowly around. Allowing Willow to see the jagged scar that ran up her cheek. Another inch and she would have lost her left eye in that particular fight.

Willow let her eyes rest deliberately on the vivid reminder of Buffy’s imprisonment before meeting her former friend’s eyes. And her eyes narrowed at the lack of response from Buffy.

“Don’t think just because Xander brought you here means he’s forgiven you,” Willow stated coldly, glaring at the distant expression on the blonde’s face. “He hasn’t, so don’t even think of trying to pretend that you’ve changed. I know you’re still the selfish little bitch you’ve always were!” The slight young woman’s words were charged with harsh animosity.

Buffy raised her brows in disbelief. Was Willow really that stupid?! Looking at the other girl, she realized that the redhead really was that dumb.

“Okay,” she replied mildly, but malicious amusement sparkled in her eyes.

Willow blinked rapidly. That wasn’t exactly the response she was expecting. She had a feeling like the floor was shifting under her feet.

“Fine,” she said, uncertain of her footing now. “Uhm, you know nobody wants you here, right? And we’re all keeping an eye on you, just in case,” she added warningly, scrambling to recover her lost ground.

“Well, we are not the only ones that the others will be keeping an eye on,” Giles coolly remarked from behind her. Willow spun around with a gasp, then turned. Keeping her body and attention on him as he limped calmly into the room.

Giles and Buffy shared twin looks of amusement before directing their attention back to Willow.

“She’s an idiot,” Buffy remarked idly to Giles as they stared at the discomforted witch.

“I know,” he replied comfortably. “God willing, she won’t breed and bestow her boundless stupidity on future generations.”

Willow blanched in shock, then her face darkened in rage. She took an angry step forward her mouth opening to spew furious words out.

“Shut. Up.” Giles stated quietly, growing suddenly weary with the little game he and Buffy were playing with the girl. The little twit never was much of a challenge. He paced forward haltingly. “Do you honestly think that anyone of them downstairs trust the likes of YOU?!” There was such venomous scorn in his voice, that her mouth worked helplessly.

“You stupid idiotic CHILD! Do you think that Xander has forgiven you?! Buffy and I stand a far better chance of getting back into his good graces long before you!” Giles snapped.

“B…b…but…” Willow stammered, her face drawn in shock. The vicious contempt on his face had her backing up in fear.

“Stow it! You think you’re so clever, don’t you dear girl?” Giles purred as he stood before her. He put his hands on the door on either side of her. “Well, my dear, you’re not quite clever enough. You see, while it may be true that Xander may have forgiven you, however, forgiveness and forgetfulness are two entirely separate events, I assure you. And he will NEVER forget that you, his oldest and dearest friend, betrayed him. Like me, like Buffy, like you… he’s giving us each a second chance. But if you go on thinking him weak, thinking him soft…you WILL make another mistake and he’ll cut you down with nary a pause in his step. This time you’ll know the full consequences of your actions and there’ll be no hesitation in his dealing with you.”

“So dream your pathetic little dreams of your dear, sweet Xander. Continue wearing the rose colored blinders when you look at him. Because I assure you, that Xander no longer exists. And when he kills you, I’m sure you’ll still have that sappy look on your face.” Giles breathed gently into the terrified girl's face. He gave her a snark-like smile before backing away.

Willow breathed raggedly, struggling to gather her control. She glared venomously at an unrepentant Buffy and Giles. “Xander loves me! And he’s forgiven me! He…he… wants me to stand right beside him! ” She shouted angrily to them.

Buffy shrugged lightly, her eyes rested on the furious red face of the other girl. “Makes it lots easier for him to kill you,” she remarked sagely with a thoughtful nod. “Anyways, I’m pretty sure that Giles already said that. That Xander’s forgiven you, I mean,” she retorted calmly.

Giles tsked, tsked and sighed with mock pity. “Still refusing to use your bloody eyes, aren’t you, my dear?” he smirked. “Let me guess, you thought what with Xander’s grooming you for such an important position within his little group it surely meant that things were coming up all sorts of roses between the two of you, correct? While I hate to burst your bubble...”

Giles paused in thought, then gave a wicked chuckle, “...actually I find I’m rather enjoying myself…Xander will kill you. Not the Protector...Xander. There will be no malice, just a matter of simple expediency. There is no room within that group for someone without a great deal of faith, backbone and commitment. They may argue, fight cheerfully amongst themselves but they have long since measured the true value of each others worth.” His words cut like the precision of a scalpel into Willow’s flinching face. “And you, my dear are sadly lacking one essential ingredient: trust.”

Unholy laughter was clearly visible in Buffy’s eyes as she pulled down the high collar of her shirt. She smiled evilly at the loud gasp from Willow, her smile widening when Willow paled alarmingly Giles opened his shirt as well.

All three were wearing similar collars.

“The thing is if we even so much as THINK about acting against that group's self-interest, these pretty little necklaces have an alarming tendency to inflict a great deal of pain on us. We hurt any one of them, we hurt. But you know what’s really funny? I can think about going Slayer on you, and I don’t feel a thing! Ain’t that a riot?!” Then Buffy’s face hardened, reflecting two years of her prison experience.

“So if you think you’re better than us, guess again missy! You and us, we're in the same fuckin’ boat! And if we don't learn how to bail, we're gonna drown.” Her peals of vicious, triumphant laughter followed the distraught young witch out of the room. Racing down the hall to get away from the horrible lies coming from Buffy. And she came to an abrupt stop at the sight of Xander and Angel exiting the baby’s room. She met Xander’s eyes and swallowed heavily as she finally looked….really LOOKED at him.

They were right, she thought shakily as she edged away from the shattering truth she saw in Xander’s eyes. All this time she thought she had regained his love and trust. But she hadn’t. Not by a longshot.

Willow fled to her room on weak limbs. Wondering what more would she have to do to get back into Xander’s good graces.

Xander looked puzzledly at Willow’s retreating form. He exchanged a puzzled look with Angel before shrugging and dismissing the girl from his mind. He headed back downstairs to dinner, leaning with remembered pleasure against Angel’s broader frame.

*

Buffy and Giles remained upstairs, not willing to push the group’s tolerance for their presence. Just in case it vanished abruptly without Xander around. Willow chose to consume dinner in her room as well.

Xander glanced delightedly around the noisy, laugh-filled table and sighed happily. He smothered his laughter at the wigged out look on Wes’ face at the embarrassingly probing questions from Dawn about his intentions towards Spike. His prospects. His method of living and providing for her vampire. His character. His choice of employment, what plans he had for the future.

At first Wes looked like he wanted to laugh, but that serious gleam in her eyes gave him pause. Then Spike leaned over and whispered that his Poppet was trained by the best in the fine art of asking questions. The blonde vampire smiled with patently false, modest pride. With a hollow feeling, Wesley knew exactly who the vampire was referring to. Despite the endless entertainment value it was affording the others, he endeavored to answer the aggressively demanding child with some measure of composure. Struggling to get through this with his dignity intact.

After dinner and with discrete haste Angel hurriedly helped a bemused Xander settle the children into nearby bedrooms. Though, hopefully not too near, he thought with lustful alarm as he urged a now blushing Xander to the bedroom.

Closing the door and leaning against it, he regarded the lean young man with hot possessive eyes. His eyes traveled up and down the boy’s tall, lanky form with lustful intent. For a brief moment mourning the visible changes that time and experience had taken on his young lover. Changes that he had not been witness to. But all in all, he couldn’t help but approve. Before, Xander was a beautiful youth, teetering on the brink of true adulthood. But now….

“Have I mentioned how much I’ve missed you?” he whispered huskily as he moved away from the door and prowled towards his mate.

Xander felt his cheeks burning even hotter at the scintillating look in Angel’s eyes. That gleam of excitement in Angel’s glowing orbs was stirring up a lot of interesting tingles down below.

And as much as this moment being one he had been dying for for almost two years, longing for…he panicked.

“Boy, was that a long flight!” he exclaimed with nervous cheer. His eyes darting everywhere in the room but the crestfallen expression that flickered over Angel’s face. “And what with the kids…” he shook his head sorrowfully. “Boy, am I glad that I ain’t got any! Not that I wouldn’t love to have a couple of the anklebiters,” he hastily assured Angel, “But…I dunno. Connor is a little sly devil, and Dawn…that girl gotta argue with you about everything. And the baby, he’s even worse. For a little guy that can’t even walk or talk yet, he sure does manage to get his way all the time. Ooooh, that reminds me, I gotta call their father and let ‘im know that we got here okay. I know he said I could call him tomorrow, but I say why put off till tomorrow what you can do today? Though sometimes, that putting off stuff really works better when you put it off tomorrow or the next day instead of doing it today. Cuz sometimes you have things you like…” and becoming aware of the flummoxed look on Angel’s face, Xander finally managed to corral his runaway mouth.

Angel blinked rapidly, coming out from his figurative umbrella as the deluge of words trickled to a halt. He wondered what caused the rapid-fire words to sprout from the boy’s mouth. Then he stopped wondering as he finally saw the overriding FEAR glinting brightly in the wide staring eyes. A frown slowly formed on his face as he carefully stepped closer to his trembling young mate.

“Xander, are you…are you scared? Of me?!” His voice rose in astonished fear of his own.

The young man looked shocked. “Scared of you?! Hell no!” Xander insisted firmly with a vigorous shake of his head.

“Then what’s the…I mean…you…you’re acting like you’ve never…” Angel began to say with quiet frustration as he stared at the boy…the man. Then his eyes widened slightly at the discomforted look that flashed on Xander’s face and the way the younger man studied the far wall with fascinated interest.

Angel regarded his human thoughtfully. Then picking his words carefully he asked, “Xander, did you make any ‘friends’ while you were in London?”

The young man instantly looked up, his face wreathed in a wide, amusing smile. “Yep, made lots of friends! I mean, they weren’t Cordy and Faith but hell, we still had a blast! Jerome even managed to get us tossed out of one of those pubs over there!”

Xander had to chuckle remembering the blank look of astonishment on Miranda’s face. The rich British debutante had NEVER been ejected from anywhere! None of the St. John’s had ever been asked to leave, no matter how badly they behaved. Usually people were clamoring for any St. John siblings’ attention and presence. A fact that the willowy blond girl and her brothers took shrewd advantage of. Inviting him, Jerome, Michael, Megan and Tessa along with them to any party or high falutin’ social event going on in the vicinity of London proper.

“Yes, but did you enjoy the company of any of your ‘friends’?” Angel asked with strained patience.

Xander looked at him blankly, “Well yeah!” Then his eyes narrowed as he thought he grasped what Angel was talking about. “While I don't like speaking ill of the dead, actually I do especially if the dead is Spike, I wanna say that if Spike hadna got pissed at all the Watchers for watching him all suspiciously like and poured a couple bottles of Jack Daniels into the punch bowl at Mrs. Taylor-Niesmith's to, as he called it, 'liven up things' everything would have been fine. Old Mr. Bradford and Mr. St. Ives wouldna tried to get into a fistfight in their wheelchairs. Or...or...Jessica Talbot wouldna found out that her fiancé was gay. Though personally I kinda think she shoulda had a little bit of a clue considering he was trying to stick his tongue down her brother's throat. You know that daft girl actually tried to blame her brother!” Xander exclaimed indignantly, then brooded at the sheer unfairness of having them blame him for Spike's bad behavior.

He thought some more about the events in London. His eyes widened with a gasp as he looked nervously at his blank-faced mate. “And just so you know, that fire that started in Lord Neville’s house wasn't our fault! As a matter of fact, me and Tessa were the ones that called everyone's attention to the fact that one of the rooms seemed smoky and considering that it wasn't the Smoking Room we thought they would be grateful!” He exclaimed self-righteously.

His eyes narrowed worriedly as yet another thought took shape in his mind. He licked his lips anxiously as he stared at Angel. “Oh and about Malcolm DeCarolis car, I can explain everything! You see, me and Megan and a couple of the gang were driving along, minding our own business you know, when out of nowhere this great big Morndan demon jumps out of the trees. Miranda was driving cause, ya see cuz I hadn't gotten used to driving on the other side of the road. When Megan yelled, Miranda slammed on the brakes. That gave Megan time to throw a spell at it, but it jumped in the air and …” he trailed off and winced as the numb look settled over Angel’s face.

“Let me guess, Malcolm DeCarolis’ car was right behind it,” Angel said dryly.

“Oh, no,” Xander hastily assured his lover. “That’s not how his car got damaged. When it jumped in the air, Megan’s spell hit a tree instead. The demon jumped in the air, not the car, cuz cars are not known for jumping. Unless they have a ramp, of course,” he added as an afterthought.

“And the tree hit Malcolm’s car?” Angel forcefully stuck to the topic as he hazarded a guess on how the car was damaged. His confusion deepening at the quick head shake from Xander.

“Uh uh, see, then Miranda threw a spell and managed to deflect the tree away from Malcolm's car. But her aim was off and the tree crashed into the fence and the horses got spooked and jumped the fence.”

“So, Malcolm crashed into one of the horses?” Angel stated, pleased to have figured out what happened.

“Nah, he had already stopped his car by then,” Xander said, then giving Angel an annoyed glance, he added pointedly, “And if you could stop interrupting me, I can tell you how his car got messed up.”

He continued rapidly before Angel had a chance to interject a comment. “Anyway, the demon jumped out of the trees at Jerome, I started shooting at it with my crossbow,” he glared at his lover who had his mouth opened to say something. “But missed and hit another tree, Malcolm got out and was attacking it with his sword while Miranda was going at it with a couple of fire spells. So we worked together and killed it. And you know that those types of demons explode when they die, right? Megan cast a shield over us, but we forgot about the cars. And that’s how Malcolm got his car messed up, cause the demon blood was like eating away at it!” Xander exclaimed triumphantly.

“Who knew that that particular demon's blood acts like acid on fiberglass? Nobody said anything! And you know what else?! We didn’t even get to go on our picnic!” Xander huffed out in an aggrieved tone. v Angel regarded the sulking face of his lover first in astonished wonder, then amusement. Soft chuckles spilled from his lips, growing in strength at the look of mingled anger and confusion in Xander’s eyes. Every time he looked at the boy, it set off fresh chortles of helpless laughter, forcing him to eventually collapse on the bed, holding his aching sides.

Xander regarded his laughing mate with a hesitant smile. Laughter, laughing is good right? He thought to himself anxiously. And he wondered guiltily if he should tell Angel about accidentally shooting Miranda’s father in the butt with an arrow. Eyeing the laughing vampire he decided to wait to share that piece of information. After all, it wasn’t like Mr. St. John was mad at him anymore; he just had to be careful with any weapons around Mr. St. John. The older man was very, VERY clear about that. Xander thought carefully about the way Mr. St. John's right eye would twitch, then decided that obviously it was a pre-existing condition. It had nothing to do with him.

Angel finally got his laughter under control and pulled his precious funny boy down onto the bed with him. “Xander, what I was actually talking about was…” he broke off as he looked into the young man’s puzzled eyes. “You remember that conversation we had before you left? Do you remember what I said? That I wouldn’t have a problem with you developing a… a ‘friendship’ with someone else while over in England?” He held up a hand sharply when Xander opened his mouth. “And I’m talking about a sexual relationship, Xander, not merely being friends with someone.”

Xander gazed deeply into Angel’s eyes with a slightly sad expression. “I remember, but to tell you the truth…I…I really didn’t have much time for anything like that. Not that anyone would be interested in me,” he said with such a miserable expression at his lack of sexual encounters that only a highly suspicious bastard would ever doubt him.

Fondly Angel regarded the downcast face and cursed himself for being such a suspicious bastard. “So all those letters and emails about having a good time and meeting people was a load of bunk, huh? That creepy guy that you said was hitting on you was just a figment of your imagination, hmmm? It must be a coincidence that his name is also Jerome Stevens, who happens to be quite a good friend of yours now.” Angel’s voice was dryer than the Sahara Desert.

Xander froze as he frantically tried to recall what he had written in the early days in an effort to convince Angel to let him come back home. Did he really say that about Jerome? Dammit, you friggin’ idiot if you’re gonna lie at least keep it simple, he yelled furiously to himself.

“Uhm, yeah?” he said half-heartedly with a tentative smile. A smile that wilted at the sardonic look Angel gave him. He huffed in exasperation. “Fine! Look you, I found what I wanted in a lover when I found you and I’m keeping you! And if you got somebody else sharing your bed, then you better get rid of them quick! There ain’t gonna be nobody but me in your bed and nobody but you in my bed! So there! I don’t wanna ‘nother lover! So deal with THAT, Mister!” He said aggressively. A pugnacious look of determination on his face.

For a reply, Angel tumbled them back on the bed and rolled so Xander wound up on top. “Yes SIR, Mr. Harris, SIR!” He smirked at the annoyed look that settled on his boy’s face.

“Hey, I’m not joking,” Xander complained, though his eyes revealed his doubts. Reflecting all his hidden uncertainties in the chocolaty depths.

“I know,” Angel soothed his lover with great solemnity. But Xander still frowned, suspecting mockery. “So why didn’t you take a lover? I wouldn’t have minded,” he assured Xander quietly. Though a small voice was insistently chanting ‘Liar, liar, pants on fire!' He ignored the mental voice, preferring to focus on Xander’s still face.

The young man slowly raised his eyes from his intent study of Angel’s chest. Meeting the whisky-colored eyes he said softly, “But I would.”

He dropped his eyes again, squirming restlessly at the warm glow that lit Angel’s eyes within. His cheeks reddening at revealing a part of him that he thought he had gradually gotten rid of since he had left Angel’s side.

Gee, I'm such a pathetic wuss! he sneered to himself. A bit angry that after everything he had accomplished away from the girls and Angel, one look from Angel reduced him once again to that needy teenager he thought he had left behind.

Then his eyes widened at the stirring he felt in Angel’s crotch and his eyes darted up to the arousing gleam in a pair of amber eyes. “Kinda funny thing with me,” Angel said lightly, “I sorta found myself a one-man man.” And he pulled Xander’s head down for their first kiss in almost two years. Both of them groaning at the hot rush that swept through them at the initial contact between their lips. Breaking apart, they regarded each other with wide, aroused eyes.

Angel’s eyes dropped to Xander’s lush full lips, his eyes becoming a hungry glittering gold. “Have I mentioned yet that you have the most beautiful pair of lips?” He said huskily, an undertone of rapacious anticipation in his voice.

Xander squeaked softly as they suddenly rolled with him landing on the bottom this time. His eyes widening at the hugely aroused male that settled over him and he pressed his hands against Angel’s chest, stopping the vampire from kissing him. At the puzzled look in the whisky colored eyes, Xander grinned nervously.

“Angel, what's the big rush? We got the rest of our lives and I haven't even taken a shower yet, and believe you me I must smell funkier than a men's locker room. Wheewee! There were some really stinky people on the plane, then to struggled with our luggage to the hotel, even though you did offer to have someone come pick us up, I wanted to give the kids a little taste of L.A. Not that I know much about...” then his nervous babble of words slid to a stumbling halt at the understanding look that settled in Angel's eyes.

“Ah, m'aingeal,” Angel whispered tenderly into the wide-eyed gaze of his precious heart. “Do you think I would rush you straightaway to our bed? Never giving ya time to grow accustom t'me again? Mo stoirin, you are my caidreach. While true enough no vows were said 'tween us, yet still you are forever the husband of my soul and the ciallach of my heart. And if you wish the time, never doubt that I will always be there, waiting for you. So I will move to another room and you remain here.” He rolled off the bed and turned and gave Xander a roguish smile of thrilling anticipation. “But that doesn't mean that I won't have fun trying to woo you back into my arms and bed.”

The dark haired youth felt the fires of passion flickering in his veins. “Do you...” he paused and bit his lips as he sat up in the bed.

Angel stopped, then turned to peer at the uncertain youth. “Do I what?”

“Do you have to leave? I mean, can’t we just...” Xander waved a hand expressively at the wide bed, his face coloring in embarrassment. “Nevermind, I'm just being stupid...” he muttered.

Angel studied the downbent head, then the bed before coming back to Xander. Kneeling, he peered into the boy's flushed face. “If you're asking if sleeping with you in my arms would be something I would like to do, then the answer is hell yeah.” Angel assured his lover softly and was rewarded with a wide smile of such sweetness that he just froze in place staring up into the rich, chocolate eyes.

Xander went still as well, caught up in the once familiar magic of Angel's eyes. Almost in a daze, he slid off the bed and he straddled the motionless figure. This time he took the initiative and framing Angel's face, he pressed their lips together. A thready moan of need rippled through him as Angel's mouth parted and a slick tongue coaxed his into the cool interior to play sensuous love games.

There they stayed for endless minutes...it all ran together in their minds. It could have been hours, days or years that they simply kissed. Only parting to allow the poor mortal boy to breathe before they resumed the heady delights of kissing. Re-familiarizing themselves with the taste of the other's mouth. Soft wanton sighs of ravenous satisfaction filled the room as Xander squirmed, rocked and writhed in Angel's laps. His motions becoming increasingly faster before Angel abruptly called a halt to their titillating foreplay.

“Stop!” the vampire gasped out, trying with limited success to stop himself from giving into the urge to sheathe himself in the warm body of his lover.

“Yeah, we'll stop when I've had enough,” Xander murmured, surveying Angel's passion swollen lips with hungry, possessive eyes. Abruptly he dived back down, deciding in the interest of scientific curiosity, more experimentation was needed to see if Angel's lips would swell even further with more applied kissage.

He was very much shocked to find his experimental subject was holding him off. Pulling back, Xander's face was set in a thunderous frown. “Angel, what's up with the lack of kissage? That's what people do when their loved ones,” and he poked himself in the chest, “Namely ME, come home from a long visit overseas!” Pleased at his cleverness, he attempted to kiss Angel again. Becoming seriously aggrieved at the major lack of lips on lips contact. In particular Angel’s lips on his lips.

“Xander, look it's been a long day for you. And I think you have the right idea for us to take things slow,” Angel said huskily with sensuous warmth in his eyes. “We've waited for over two years, what's a couple more days or even weeks?”

“I've changed my mind,” Xander replied with great dignity. “I want smooches! Lots and lots of smooches!” And tried once again to claim his fair share of kisses.

Angel chuckled even as he held his squirming, frustrated lover away from 'smooches'. “I know, and believe you me, I want smooches just as much as you,” he said feelingly. “But, we got time...nothing but time ahead of us. So why don't you go take a shower, and we can both go to bed. And tomorrow...” Angel broke off and wiggled his brows meaningfully.

Xander blinked. He drew back in amazement, Angel was dead serious! Okay, sure he was dead...but still, he was freakin' serious about no smooches for....Xander peered at the clock on the nightstand and with a loud gasp of horror he saw it was only 8 pm!

His face stricken, the young man levered himself away from his lover and collapsed on the bed. Whimpering his extreme distress at the lack of nookie.

Angel hid a smile of amusement at his human's dramatics. But Xander saw the gleam of laughter in the vampire's eyes before they were swiftly hooded. Mumbling to himself, the young man bounced off the bed and stormed over to his luggage. Quickly, extracting a pair of pajamas from one of the suitcases, Xander stalked into the bathroom still muttering darkly under his breath. Once the door was slammed shut, Angel fell on the bed and muffled his laughter into the pillows. How he missed his boy! Especially a sexually frustrated Xander.

A several minutes later he heard the water shut off. Moving with vampiric speed, he hurriedly disrobed and pulled on a pair of black silk pajamas of his on before hopping into bed. A minute later, the door was angrily pulled open. By the stiff set of his boy's shoulders, he knew Xander was still pissed. That and the evil glare the boy shot him though he was a bit taken aback by the sly look of cunning in those dark chocolaty eyes.

Xander nearly chuckled himself at the uneasy look that flashed in Angel's eyes. But with fiendish cleverness, he knew he couldn’t let his lover suspect his diabolical plan. Putting an innocent expression on his face, he crossed to the bed and slid carefully under the sheets. Ignoring Angel for the time being, he twisted and grabbed the clock, then set the alarm. Twisting back around, he gave a wary Angel a peck on the cheek before snuggling down with the sheets pulled up to his neck.

“I think you were right, Angel about waiting until tomorrow,” he murmured with a soft smile at his uncertain lover. “I admit, I am kinda bushed.”

Angel knew this was too good to be true. While two years was a long time, Xander was still Xander and he knew the boy was plotting something. And if he wasn’t now, then he would be.

“Xander, I know you're up to something,” he said calmly with a narrowed glance down at the cherubically innocent face.

“Moi? Up to something? Actually, I'm laying down, just in case you didn't notice,” the young man said with a crooked grin. Then Xander yawned hugely, muttering a sheepish, “Excuse me...” Long dark lashes fluttered tiredly as the long trip caught up with him. “Hit the lights, willya...” he murmured as he drifted off to sleep.

But Angel remained propped up on his elbow, still watching his slumbering lover suspiciously. He remained almost motionless for about 20 minutes before he was convinced the boy was fast asleep before laying down himself. Smirking, Angel linked his hands behind his head smugly satisfied that once he had put his foot down, Xander couldn't help but obey. Though still he was a bit worried because to tell the truth, neither Cordy, Xander or Faith were much good at obeying.

He stiffened at the slight movement at his side, his head turning swiftly to urge Xander back to sleep. To get the rest he knew the boy needed. But as he met the softly glowing white eyes, he relaxed.

“It's good to see you again,” the Protector stated solemnly. “Forgive me for not getting up, but I fear that this time the boy's exhaustion has caught up even with me.”

Angel smiled at the rueful note in the energy being's voice. “So, how was London? I think getting the truth about Xander's time in London would be like pulling teeth,” he said wryly. “Did he have fun?”

The Protector hesitated in replying.

“I take it that he had quite a lot of fun, didn't he? I kinda thought so,” Angel said heavily. He sighed.

The energy being shook it's head. “Yes, he did have what you would deem 'fun' after he finally became amenable as to why he needed to leave. I, moreso than Xander, understood your reasoning for forcing the boy to make this journey alone. You feared his dependence on you and your actions towards him. He is your mate, yet despite the fact that I am housed within his body, you look upon him as less than equal in the union between the two of you. By forcing him out of the safe comfortable nest that you were trying to weave around him, he has learned that he is strong and intelligent. He is more than capable of holding his own.”

Angel blinked in uneasy dismay, it was uncanny how well the usually unemotional creature read his innermost thoughts. Had Xander stayed, he more than likely would have wrapped the boy in cotton in an effort to keep him safe. Something he struggled constantly within himself NOT to do with Cordy and Gunn. However, with Xander it would have been far worse. By the time he was aware of what he was doing, he would have had the boy smothered. All in the most reasonable voice in the world he would have convinced the boy to stay behind...to be safe. Despite the fact that the Protector had enough power to nearly incinerate the city.

Xander would have eventually left him, to strike out on his own. Because how can you love someone yet not respect them?

The dark haired vampire sighed. “I know and I'm glad that he was very happy in London.”

“I did not say he was happy in London, I merely said that he finally learned how to have fun. Xander loves you. His idea of being happy and having fun is being with you. Teasing you, laughing with Cordelia Chase and Faith McDaniels and the rest of his friends. You, Wesley Wyndham-Price and the girls, and to a certain lesser degree, Willow are part of his soul. While yes, he did have fun, there was something missing that even I felt. Something was lacking in his laughter, in his soul. It wasn't until he set eyes on you, that I felt his spirit began to glow. You are as much a part of him as I am.” The Protector's voice was quietly solemn as it spoke.

Angel blinked back the tears from the rush of emotion that threatened to shred his stoic image. “Thanks...that means a lot.”

Then abruptly the energy being froze, its' eyes distant as it seemed to listen to something beyond a vampire's hearing. Angel froze as well, straining to hear what so alarmed the Protector.

Then it spoke in a quiet contemplative tone. “In my duties as Protector of this dimension, I have fought fierce and deadly creatures such as you would not believe. Loathsomely terrifyingly. Terrifyingly, formidable adversaries that have struck fear into the hearts of man and demons alike. I have faced these vicious warriors oftentimes alone and have emerged victorious. I have witnessed births of nations, the death of cities and kingdoms. Brutal warlords, demons and humans, overrunning the world, committing atrocities that would turn your stomach. I have faced these such creatures and more,” it stated simply.

There was no boasting or arrogance in its tone. Just a statement of fact that it was indeed that powerful. Indeed, Angel would not have quibbled with it regarding its abilities, however, his attention was partially distracted by a thin wailing cry that finally reached his ears. But his eyes shot back to the Protector as it continued in a stern, unwavering voice. “I remember my job description with absolute clarity….and changing diapers was NOT on it!”

Then it vanished swiftly back into the depths of Xander's mind. Leaving Angel with two options, either wake Xander or try to figure out what was wrong with the baby. Though he almost changed his mind when he opened the door and a ripe smell hit his nose. But with a sigh, Angel stiffened his shoulders and forged into the room with a determined face.

His face screwed up in concentration, Angel unskillfully removed the dirty diaper from the now gurgling and kicking baby. Then holding the dirtied diaper by the tips of his forefinger and thumb, his arm extended stiffly in front of him, he dropped the soiled object in the garbage. Returning to the child, Angel cleaned Michael clumsily with a baby wipe from a packet left near the crib. Tossing that in the garbage, Angel regarded first a clean diaper, then the baby with some confusion. Ignoring the beaming smile on the child's face, he grabbed the box of diapers, hoping for some instructions of how to put the thing on the kid.

Following the directions with excruciating care, he carefully slid the baby on the diaper. Glancing at the diagram, then the baby, he flipped the chortling child onto its' back again. Then blinking, he carefully pulled the baby's shirt from around its head where it had bunched up. Frowning, Angel glanced at the picture again before attempting to get the diaper on the child. However, the baby, thinking this was an amusing game, wiggled happily with spasmodic, gleeful movements.

Which incidentally, totally undid whatever progress Angel thought he was making. Then the vampire hit upon a fiendishly cunning idea...putting his hand on the baby's stomach and holding Michael still. THEN he should be able to fasten the tapes.

But he mentally cautioned himself not to use too much strength, don’t wanna squish the insides of the little nipper out like a jelly sandwich.

Smirking at his cleverness, Angel just barely managed to keep the baby centered on the diaper. As he was leaning over the baby, struggling to unstick the tab he failed to notice the tiny frown of concentration that settled on Michael's tiny face. But he did feel the effects as the child let go and a warm stream of pee arched and sprayed his face.

Instinctively he jerked back, his face screwed up in disgust. “Shi...” and he bit off the curse, belatedly remembering that one wasn't supposed to swear in front of children. However, at the sharp gurgling cry from the baby, he became aware his gameface had dropped down. Angel hastily slipped back into human guise to avoid frightening Michael even further. Then he froze as the child’s eyes got huge, and monstrous tears swam in the baby’s eyes before a whimper, then a soft wail erupted from the baby’s mouth.

Startled at the noise, Angel involuntarily slipped into demon mode. And the tears dried up and the baby chortled delightedly, reaching up with fat pudgy hands to grab at the vampire’s face.

“Well, whaddaya know,” Angel remarked softly to himself. He slipped back and forth between faces, laughing gently himself at each gurgling sound that came from the baby’s smiling toothless face. He blew raspberries on Michael’s fat belly to the delight of the child, constantly making gushing, baby talk with the little tot.

“Whose a liddle man? Yes, you are such an evil baby! Ooooh, you're just a little Angelus, aren't you?! Yes, you are...yes you are,” Angel cooed to the laughing child as he fastened the tapes on the diaper.

But he abruptly stilled at a soft sound outside the door, he slid deep into the shadows of the room. Unwilling to let anyone see him acting a fool around the baby.

Buffy shambled into the room, blinking sleepily as she shuffled to the makeshift crib. Yawning tiredly, she hoisted a whimpering Michael into her arms and with dragging steps, lurched to the cooler and bed. She yawned again as she extracted a bottle from the cooler and settled comfortably on the bed with Michael cradled in her arms.

“I still say somebody cheated on the coin flip,” she remarked to the oblivious baby, but her face was soft as she watched the child. Gently she stroked a soft, plump cheek. Now that she was alone with none of THEM watching her, she relaxed. Settling herself more comfortably on the bed, Buffy cleared her throat.

“Okay, now where were we? Oh yeah, when we last left our heroine, Princess Buffy of Sunnydale, her mother Queen Joyce had decided to extend her hand to the less fortunate surrounding countries by allowing one of their children to stay at the palace. It was supposed to be a prince but we got a princess instead.” Though she thought she was alone with Michael, still she lowered her voice to a thrilling whisper. “But the princess was EVIL. And only by using her superior intellect was Princess Buffy able to figure this out. Almost too late for Xander, her Court Jester. See due to his weak will power, he fell easily under Princess Ampata's dark enchantment.”

She glanced wisely down into Michael's fascinated eyes peering at her over his bottle. “That's the only way she could get him, because he was in love with Princess Buffy. All the men were in love with Princess Buffy, cuz she was just so beautiful, smart and kickin' it with the fashion sense,” she said smugly. “And just between me, you and the lamp, that boy had an itch that wouldn't stop. And you know, Princess Buffy sure as hell wasn't about to do any scratching.”

Angel, standing in the shadows, could hardly believe that this was the same bitter, angry looking girl that had walked into the hotel. Every line of Buffy's body expressed love, caring and tenderness towards the baby. Probably cause the boy couldn't see her true nature, his cynical side remarked sourly. But he remained quiet, observing Buffy with Michael. His eyes were narrowed in calculation and a cold, ruthless smile was on his lips as he observed the young girl with the baby.

Buffy returned to her story, unaware of her silent observer and the secret she had unwittingly revealed. “Anyway, Princess Buffy had to run desperately to save her Prime Minister, Giles. Racing into the room, she gasped as she saw the dark, evil Princess draining the very life from her Prime Minister. With one glance, she saw her Court Jester backed into a corner, paralyzed with terror. Yet though she had fear in her heart, Princess Buffy drew on all her courage and strength, and fought the evil, life-draining Princess. With amazing grace, she managed to defeat the evil princess. Thus, once again, the princess managed, despite overwhelming obstacles and the sheer cowardliness of the Court Jester, the lameness of the Prime Minister and Willow, the bumbling Court Magician, managed to save the day. And all before tea.”

Buffy smiled triumphantly down into the baby's wide eyes. Michael frowned as if he understood her words. One hand left it's deathgrip on the bottle and flailed about wildly. Then the chubby little fist connected and bopped her on the nose. The baby's frown vanished instantly and joy was expressed in every wiggle of his fat little body.

Angel silently cheered the lad on and hoped the baby would smack her again. Harder.

She laughed as she grabbed his hand and kissed it. “Oh, so you don't like that one, huh? Well, here's another one for you. Guess where it's set? Yup, that's right...in the kingdom of Sunnydale. In this story, Princess Buffy had a secret lover. Later on she finds out he's a faithless, lying bastard but that's another story. Anyway, into her kingdom comes another Princess. Her name was Princess Faith Iamaslut. A girl that Princess Buffy extends a warm welcome too. Later on, I'll tell you about how despite everything Buffy did for her, the girl wound up stabbing our heroine in the back. So, anyhow, Princess Faith runs to Summers' Castle and pleads for Princess Buffy's help. Word had gotten around about how brave and selfless the beautiful, blonde princess was. Faith was running from a dreaded enemy called...a Watcher.” Buffy looked slyly around as she whispered the word. She grinned when Michael took the bottle out of his mouth and babbled nonsensical words at her.

Then her expression grew dark. “After everything she had done for them, saved their lives so many times, they all turned on her. Her Court Jester, Xander; the Prime Minister, and even Willow, the Court Magician. See, they found out about her secret lover, Prince Angel. Just because he was from Demonvale, they automatically saw him as an enemy. But he wasn't, at least not yet. See he had an evil twin named Angelus that was all sorts of bad. Besides he had been kicked to the curb, thrown out of his own kingdom. Prince Angel, that is. But our selfless heroine found him and had been nursing him back to help. But that low-down, idiotic fool snake in the grass Xander found them and blabbed about...” and Buffy's words halted abruptly as the door clicked open. She looked up as the door opened gently, her face instantly shuttering at the sound, then relaxing when Dawn poked her head around.

“Hey, you’re supposed to be in bed,” she called softly to the dark-hair young girl. “If Xander catches you up, and in here with me, you are sooo gonna be in trouble with him and SPIKE,” she said warningly.

“Pull the other one,” Dawn scoffed lightly as she came further into the room. “Like I can’t handle either one of them! Besides, they haven't found out yet and they never will.” She grinned cheekily at the older girl.

Buffy hid a smile at the young girl’s boastful words. No doubt Dawnie could, the girl had a certain talent managing both men that it was almost ridiculous.

“Look sweetie you are a growing girl, and you need…” she began gently then stopped. Growing more aware, her eyes narrowed on an unnatural darkness in the corner. Her body tensed and she came to her feet in a swift, unconcerned rush. “Dawn, why don’t you take Michael back to your room,” she smoothly said. But there was a distant tone in her voice that made the younger girl frown uncertainly, now unsure of her welcome.

Confused, Dawn took her brother in her arms and opened her mouth to ask Why? But then she caught the cold look in Buffy’s eyes. Her arms tightened protectively as she closed her mouth and sidled towards the door. She came to an abrupt, wary halt when Xander's Angel stepped out of the shadows. There was something in his eyes that made her back away, even though he wasn't even looking at her.

She glanced uncertainly back and forth between the vampire and Buffy as the two stood frozen, staring at each other. Whatever was in the air was really making her feel all jittery and stuff. She couldn’t help let out a sigh of relief when the big, dark vampire slowly smiled before he silently ghosted out of the room. Uneasiness stirred in the young girl, for some reason she couldn't quite put her finger on, that smile Angel gave Buffy wasn't a 'smile'. It was the kinda smile Spike had when he was telling her those bloodthirsty stories.

“Buffy?”

“Leave it alone Dawn,” Buffy said tiredly, with an angry look deep in her eyes. “Just leave it alone and go back to bed.”

“But...”

“I said GO!” Buffy snapped harshly, her hands fisted at her sides. “Just give me Michael and go to bed!”

Dawn blinked at the coldness in Buffy’s voice and sighed. She recognized that glint in the girl's eyes and knew that the older girl was in one of her 'fits'. Silently she handed Michael back over to Buffy, knowing better than to argue. Whining and pouting got her just about anything from Spike and Xander. But Buffy and Willow would simply slap her down if she tried to pull it on them.

Casting one last look over her shoulder at the small figure, Dawn sighed once again before closing the door behind her.

Leaving Buffy alone. Her secret fondness for the children painfully exposed to Angel. And she didn't have any doubts that it was something he wouldn't hesitate to use.

Alone with the warning of Dawn’s mother echoing in her mind. She would never forget that cold deadly look that settled on the woman’s usually gentle features when she had gotten angry at her situation. She had grown unreasonably annoyed because every time she turned around Dawn was watching her. She had marched up to the girl, slapped her and called the girl a spoiled little brat. And grinned triumphantly. Hell, if she couldn’t hurt Xander it still felt satisfying to be the cause of the girl running away crying.

But her joy didn’t last long.

When Lydia had appeared in the drawing room, a length of cord pulled tightly in her hands, Buffy remembered sneering. Then she recalled just how hard the wall was when Lydia had knotted the rope in her hands and yanked tightly.

Calmly stating that she was a witch. Not a powerful witch. Not a mighty witch like Willow would become. But a hedgewitch.

The rope was swiftly knotted and yanked tightly again, and Buffy found herself hurled face first into the opposite wall. Her momentum stopped one inch before she was smashed into the wall.

A hedgewitch that cared deeply for her children….

…knot….twist…yank.

The terrified former Slayer was flung the length of the room; her back slammed with sickening force into another wall. By this time, Spike, Xander and Jerod had come running to see what the commotion was about. Jerod, taking one look at his enraged wife, did an about face and hurried away. Spike and Xander blinked and raced after him. If Jerod was running, they figured they should too.

Lydia made it painfully clear just where their friendship for Xander ended and their parental responsibilities began. By the time Lydia had finished gently explaining what she felt was proper conduct for Buffy and what was decidedly NOT, the young woman required five stitches in the back of her head, fourteen in her arm, her ribs needed taping, her ankle required wrapping, three fingers needed splinting.

Just before she lost consciousness, she remembered gazing up in terror into the brown-skinned woman’s icy black eyes and hearing, “Even in death, I will protect my children.”

After recovering, she treated the two children with extreme wary caution. Never rejecting the two mobile ones when they came near. But also not sending them away just in case they went crying to mommy. And somewhere along the line, she grew to care. They didn't know a thing about her. Connor and Dawn accepted her at face value. If she was nice to them, they didn't pester her so much. When Lydia abruptly fell sick after Michael was born, it was her that saw to their comfort. Her, Giles and Willow were the only ones left since Xander was trying to keep Ethan alive, and Jerod was running back and forth between the hospital and home. Struggling as if mere willpower would keep his wife alive.

Xander failed spectacularly. Buffy's lips curled up nastily remembering the blank, numb look the boy had on his face at the eerie twin howls that ripped from Dru's and Spike's throats.

Her lips slowly curved down as she recalled the numb look of shock when Jerod stumbled into the castle. It was Giles that pushed the kids into hers and Willow's arms and ordered them to their room. A backwards look showed the older man helping Jerod to his feet and leading him away.

*******

Groaning, Xander started swimming to consciousness, summoned by the steady beeping. Raising an arm, he slapped at the annoying sound and hit a firm hard chest. Blinking, he raised himself up on his elbows and peered at the figure in his bed. Then at the room. And a slow grin washed away the sleepiness from his mind.

12:01 am.

He cast a fond look at his slumbering lover and pulled the covers back carefully. His mouth becoming dry at the pale expanse of manmeat revealed to his hungry eyes. He figuratively licked his chops, MINE! All mine!

Angel woke up with a whoof as something landed on his chest. His demon guise falling over his features as he looked up, startled, into Xander’s grinning face.

“Xander, what the hell…? Do you know what time it is?!” Angel asked in astonishment.

“Yep!” Xander replied with a smug look of extreme satisfaction. “At the sound of the beep, it will be 12:03…BEEP!”

Angel grunted softly as the boy bounced eagerly on his chest. “Okay, then go back to sleep!”

“No can do, big guy! It’s tomorrow!”

Angel blinked rapidly, struggling to shift gears between wakefulness and sleepiness. “Yeah, and so….” Then his mind caught the impish gleam in his boy’s eyes.

“And tomorrow means…?” he said cautiously.

“Lots and lots of monkey sex!” Xander exclaimed excitedly. He pouted sulkily when Angel didn’t seem as enthused as he.

Angel cast a feigned thoughtful look at the clock. “Hmmm, whaddaya know, it IS tomorrow!” Xander gave a gurgle of laughter as they rolled over and his chortle of mirth was cut off by Angel’s descending mouth. All thoughts of laughter, of merriment was erased by the rising tide of passion between them.

Chapter 12

Several hours later, Angel woke up as his ears pricked slightly. He heard a slight noise come to his sensitive hearing. Peering about the room and feigning sleep, he surreptitiously pulled his slumbering exhausted lover closer to his chest and strained to identify what had invaded their room.

There!

He froze as he felt something climb into bed with them. Narrowing his eyes against the coming brightness, he stretched out an arm and slapped the bedside light on. Revealing the intruder.

Angel’s eyes widened, then he closed them unable to comprehend exactly WHAT he was seeing. He opened his eyes again and carefully studied the small creature standing on the bed.

It was Connor...

...wiggling his hips at him...

...and he was starkers.

Nekkid as a jaybird. Nekkid as a pig in poke. Nekkid as in with no bloody clothes on!

Angel shut his eyes hastily, unable to bear the appalling sight any longer.

“Xander?! Xander?! Wake up,” Angel hissed quietly to his lover. Not getting the response he needed, he shook the boy gently at first, then more roughly. “Xander, wake up! Don’t be scared but Connor is in the bedroom with us and he’s nekkid.!” Angel exclaimed in a hoarse scandalized tone, his voice rising to a near high-pitched yelp. He peeked up at the boy again and his mouth dropped open at the grimaces distorting the tiny face.

“And something's wrong with his face! He's making faces at me. Xander, you gotta get up!”

“Angel, Connor’s not in the room with us. There’s nothing wrong with his face and he’s most definitely NOT naked,” Xander said in a sleep husky voice without opening his eyes or moving from his comfortable sprawl against Angel.

Connor smirked at Angel, then stuck his tongue out at the vampire and wiggled his hips again.

“But Xander, the boy’s starkers! Omigawd! See, he’s doing it again!”

“No, he’s not…cuz if I were to open my eyes and see that he was in this room with us, and naked then he knows he would be turned over my knee and given a couple whacks on his very bare behind. So therefore, Connor can’t possibly be in the room with us, you see?” Xander said with sleepy calmness. But there was an unmistakable firmness in his voice that abruptly stilled Connor’s shameless display of nakedness.

Angel slowly smiled at the little gaping pagan worshipper. “So, what you’re saying is that if I were to prop you up, force open your eyes and should you, ooooh, just happen to see a nekkid boy you would immediately wallop his little hinny?”

“Yep…”

Xander smirked at the muffled squeak he heard. The mattress bounced lightly, then he heard a thud and the patter of feet rushing swiftly away. He stretched slowly and opened his eyes to meat Angel’s amused stare.

“Morning…”

“Good morning to you…” Angel whispered huskily as he brought the sleep-flushed face up to his waiting lips and communicated just how good of a morning it was in a very non-verbal way.

“Sorry about that,” Xander apologized when Angel released his mouth. “He’s been having a tough time dealing with his mom’s death these past couple of months. His father says the doctors told him that it was just a phase that he was going through and to just give him a little time.”

“Should I be expecting a visit from Dawn as well?”

“Nah…”

“Good,” Angel retorted and tumbled them back down into the sheets and showed his warm, lovely human just how much he was adored.

*

For several days, the mingled crews of Sunnydale and L.A. enjoyed themselves. Re-establishing their distance strained tenuous connections and reaffirmed their solidarity as they got to know Xander's young charges. And in a burst of familial kinship, Cordy and Faith generously helped keep an eye on the three children. Although Wes was privately of the opinion that it was like the blind leading the blind. An opinion unknowingly shared by a very dubious Gunn and Doyle, especially when they heard Faith and Cordy were going to be keeping an eye on the kids.

With the fashion maven even relaxing her hostile attitude towards Willow enough to take all the female members on a whirlwind shopping spree. Though she was visibly reluctant to ask Buffy. Seeing how Cordy was literally choking on the words, Xander stepped in and gracefully requested the fallen ex-Slayer to accompany the rest of the girls. However, his motives were not without self-interest. Because with the women gone, the men would have the hotel all to themselves.

To the men's secret glee, their presence was strictly prohibited with a scornful look when Angel asked humbly if they could accompany the females. Taking his cue from Angel, spurred on by Wesley treading heavily on his foot, Doyle yelped out that he needed a couple more shirts. For emphasis, he plucked at the garish, multi-hued shirt. Prompting the men to ‘oooh’ admiringly and ask eagerly where he purchased said shirt.

Even Buffy found herself in tune with the women as they all shuddered convulsively. They exchanged horrified, grim looks of resolve.

Preening at the attention he was receiving, the half-demon was about to answer when Cordy explained slowly and very carefully exactly WHY the men were not coming with them. Stating in a very kind and gentle voice just how bored Doyle and the others would be trailing behind them as they visited one lingerie shop after another. Then hastily, while the men were lost in a fond daydream of such a dreaded event, the women snuck out of the hotel to their menfolk’s eternal gratitude.

Racing with prenatural speed, Spike and Angel had the playroom set up. With Gunn’s help, they had already secreted video games, food, beverages and other assorted items that would insure that the dejected, crushed left behind men would find some measure of comfort in having a ‘fuckin’ good time without those silly bints’ as Spike put it.

Angel and Xander cuddled in an overstuffed chair, simply enjoying quality time amid bites of food and tender kisses. While Spike tried to sneer at the duo, he had to admit that it was a bit difficult what with, his nummy nibbling on his neck.

Gunn glanced one time at the four men and merely shook his head in disbelief. Turning his eyes from the disturbing sight of Angel SMILING.

Dawg was SMILING!

Damn, if that wasn't some creepy shit! Gunn shuddered and concentrated his attention on beating the pants off of Connor.

Then he mumbled under his breath as the snickering kid's video go-cart zoomed past him…again. Gritting his teeth, the big black man set his jaw determinedly. His eyes narrowed and set on whoopin’ the little hustler's butt.

Doyle eyed the closed expression on Mr. Giles’ face before sighing. Gesturing silently to the pool table, he watched as the man’s eyes traveled to it then back to him. Then giving a grudging nod of acquiescence, the older man grabbed a cue and they began playing cautiously. However, before the bitingly polite comments descended into outright warfare, thus revisiting the Irish vs. English battle on American soil, they were joined by Spike and Wesley. Though to be accurate, when the vampire meandered over to the pool table with a scowl of ill-temper it was really because he was interested in seeing if the feisty, Irish banty was capable of kicking ole Rupe’s ass.

However, at Wesley's urging Spike consented to play. The scowl on his face made everyone quite aware that he was doing this under duress. For his noble attempt to play nice, he was rewarded with a sweet kiss from Wes, and a whisper of thanks from Xander. He darted an irritable look at the entwined pair and smirked. By the look on Peaches face, he had a feeling the older vampire also wanted Rupes to get a right thumping ‘round his ears.

In this manner they managed to pass the time before the girls returned. Whereupon Giles, along with Buffy, made his excuses and disappeared upstairs. After some minutes, Willow quietly made her apologies, claiming tiredness and vanished from among the laughing crowd of females and cringing males.

Giles, because he missed the sense of camaraderie he had experienced in prison.

Buffy because she couldn't handle the sickening togetherness of the group of friends. All the while denying the intense jealousy she felt.

And Willow, because she didn't feel she belonged. At least not yet.

Unfortunately for Giles, Angel had found a deadly secret weapon to use against Giles. A weapon so powerful. So insidious that he hesitated before deploying it. He knew that if he unleashed it, there would be no going back. Then he shrugged carelessly and called Connor to him.

When the little boy came galloping up with a wide smile of joy, Angel smiled sweetly at the innocent tot. “How’s about me and you go upstairs and get Giles to come down for supper?”

Enough careful observation of the ex-Watcher had netted him the knowledge of Giles' secretive fondness for the boy. A fondness that he had no compunction about exploiting.

Connor's brow furrowed then cleared happily. He liked spending time with Mr. Giles. He always gave him candy. “Otay...”

Taking the boy's hand, Angel matched his steps to the child's slow, one-at-a-time rate of speed on the stairs. All the while listening with amused patience the breathless gasps about what 'him and Mr. Gilef'. What they did yesterday. The day before that. And what they were going to be doing next week. According to Connor, the boy and the older man were going to be hunting Bankty demons in a couple of days. A prospect that the child seemed to be looking forward to with fiendish relish.

A hunt which should be rather interesting, Angel noted. Considering that Bankty demons were all wiped out a little over three thousand years ago.

Growing weary of the slow pace, he picked the chattering little boy up and strode to Rupert's room. Though he was a trifle dismayed at the rapid fire words that tumbled from Connor's mouth now that the boy didn't need to struggle to breathe and talk at the same time.

“And den...and den... me and him we hit 'em and...and...they felled down,” Connor exclaimed dramatically. He mimed the tremendous blow he gave his and Giles imaginary foes for Angel's benefit.

“Really...” the vampire said in an interested tone.

“Yup...and...and...den, uhm...one of dem, him got up...and...and...him turned inta a...a....”

“A wolf?” Angel helped the boy out.

“Yeah...a wolf! And den...and den...I kilt it!”

“All by yourself?!” Angel injected a suitable amount of amazement in his voice.

Connor nodded vigorously. Almost toppling over with the force of his agreement.

“You are such a brave little boy.” The vampire looked very impressed. He had been listening to the farfetched recounting of how Connor and Rupert fought, then killed several huge monsters.

Yesterday.

All before dinner.

One thing he could say for the boy, Connor certainly had a vivid imagination. Thankfully, they were at Rupert's door or he thought his ear would fall off.

*

Giles heaved an impatient sigh at the knock on his door. Flinging open the door, he was dismayed to see the sunny, bright face of Connor on the other side. And Angel.

“Hi, Mr. Giles...”

“Hello Connor,” came the grudging reply. Fortunately, the tiny tot remained oblivious to the tone of voice. However, Angel's eyes faded to gold. A clear warning in his eyes.

“Uhm, we's gonna eat and...and...you comin' down?” Connor asked with wide, pleading eyes.

Giles was on the verge of giving a harsh 'No' when he made the mistake of looking into Connor's puppy dog eyes. He could immediately feel his resistance crumbling. Gritting his teeth, he fought against the power of those deadly eyes.

“please Mr. Giles...”

“Grrrrr....” the former convict growled at a smug looking Angel. “I'm not made of stone, you know!” He snapped irritably.

Angel smiled sweetly. “I know,” he replied cheerfully. Making sure he didn't meet Connor's eyes, “Mr. Giles will be joining us for dinner after all!”

“Yea!” Connor cheered. He wiggled to get down. Once on the floor he grabbed Giles' hand and looked up at the older man. “You know what? You know what? I know how babies get borned!”

Both Giles and Angel froze. They exchanged twin horrified looks before glancing tentatively down at the little boy.

“Uhm...wh...wha...what?” Angel stammered. Feeling the intense need to blush or better yet, go get Xander. Or Cordy. Or anybody but stay here.

“Spike...uhm...him told me dat big daddies dey go and buy some seeds and...and...den the daddies put it some water and mommies drink it. And then her stomach get big and dats the baby.” Connor hunched his shoulders. There was an expression of disgust at the information that he had gotten from Spike. He was determined never to buy any seeds at all!

Angel and Giles subtly relaxed by degrees. “If it's not too much of a bother, would you mind punching Spike when we get downstairs?” Giles asked politely. But there was a glassy look on his face as if he didn't know whether to laughter or cry.

“Don't you worry about that,” Angel assured the man in a grim tone.

*

Later that night amid flashing lights, people hurrying to and fro, officers speaking in codes, Detective Kate Lockley was settled in a crouch as she examined the two bodies. Regarding the two victims sprawled in an untidy heap of limp arms and legs, it was easy to see that from the torn clothing that a struggle had taken place.

With a fine disregard of the mocking looks from her fellow officers, she gave a cursory look to the bloody knife wounds on the male victim's torso, her attention narrowing suspiciously on two tiny reddened wounds on the blonde female’s left breast.

“Ah, I see you noticed those unusual stab marks on Jane Doe’s chest,” Sergeant Pete Townsend remarked with officious solemnity. Though cool mockery glinted in his pale eyes. “See, that's why we decided to call you. Seeing as how you sorta investigate all the…” he paused for effect, “…really different kinda murders and crime scenes.” He carefully made sure there was no trace of smirk in his voice. No need to get himself written up on charges for yanking her chain.

Kate swiveled on the balls of her feet to give him a cold glance of dismissal. Her attention flickered to the chortling officers behind him. Her glare instantly wiping the smirks off their faces as she rose to her feet.

“Actually, nothing seems even remotely out of the ordinary,” she lied calmly. After making sure to be seen making small talk with the investigating officers, Kate turned and headed for her car.

Now she had substantial proof to deal with Angel. Solid evidence that either he or some vampire he probably knew were operating in the city. And she sternly denied the thrill of excitement at the thought of seeing the dark brooding vampire.

Grabbing her cellphone, she called Dale Meadows. Another officer that had a brush with the supernatural and was just as interested in dealing with them as she was. Their feeling was that if demons were going to be living among humans, then they damn well had better follow human laws.

Once again Kate denied the nagging voice that insisted that the only reason why she was heading over to the Hyperion was to see HIM.

*

The party was in full force when Xander slid breathlessly over to Angel with an excitedly chortling Michael. The laughing baby wore such a wide almost toothless smile of happiness that Angel couldn't help smiling back in return. Distracted by the irrepressible grin on both Xander and the baby's face, Angel reached for the babbling tot.

Too late he saw the mischievous grin dancing in Xander eyes just as a most offensive odor came from the baby.

“Xander Harris, you get back here!” Angel yelped half-angrily. But all he received in return was a merry giggle as the boy danced back into the laughing crowd of friends.

Turning with Michael held at arms length, Angel cast a look around to see who he could dump the baby on. His eyes fell on Giles. The outcast man was standing cold aloofness as far away from the gyrating figures of Gunn and Faith, Cordy and Doyle, Spike and Wes. Even Robin Wood was busy laughing and dancing with the group. That and having a good time annoying the Protector by calling it Gramps.

Angel's eyes returning to the joyful face of his mate. The boy was busy doing a very energetic series of movement with Dawn that in an alternate universe may have been considered dancing. Whatever he was doing, it certainly had Dawn in fits of giggles.

Giles’ eyes widened slightly when he noticed Angel's attention turn speculatively towards him. He hurriedly looked away, pretending he didn't see the vampire gazing at him. Besides, he owed Angel for putting Connor on him.

Buffy quickly faced away from her ex-lover with a tiny evil smirk of her own. The smell of Michael’s poop must be killing him, she thought with cheerful viciousness. She wasn't in the least concerned over how Angel would treat the baby. She, just as much as Giles, knew Angel handled Michael with kid’s glove. Buffy felt a giggle almost escape her lips at her little joke.

Seeing he was on his own, Angel stormed carefully into the lobby, well away from the partying going on in the garden.

“Bunch of silly pansies,” he muttered softly to himself. Then with pure spite and malice, he defiantly laid the baby on Cordy’s desk. Though he did check to make sure she couldn't see what he was doing. Grumbling, he changed the stinky nappy. Dark sadistic glee danced in his golden eyes. He deliberately dropped the soiled diaper in Cordy’s garbage can.

“That'll fix her,” he murmured to Michael who waved and kicked his feet happily. Babbling as if he agreed with the vampire in the one-upmanship between the rich girl and the vampire.

Michael grinned winsomely up at his favorite floating head. Letting out a demanding cry, he waited for the funny face to appear. Screeching with delighted laughter, he waved his arms imperiously for the funny face to come close. Arching and wiggling with all his might, Michael grabbed the funny head when it came close, patting the intriguing folds of flesh. Batting at it with his hands. He broke out in fresh giggles as the ripples slid under his hands.

There. Not there. There. Not there. Michael chortled happily at the game his toy was playing.

Angel smiled a sharp-toothed grin at the wild screeching from the baby. Shifting back and forth between human and demon, strange as it seemed, amused the child to no end. But it was a game he made sure the others, especially Spike, never saw. He shuddered. He could just imagine the twisted pleasure his grandchilde would get out of seeing him act like this. Being called a pouf was the least he could expect to hear. He didn't want to ruin any more of his reputation. So engrossed in making Michael scream with laughter, he failed to notice the approaching humans.

But he most definitely heard them.

Kate entered the hotel and froze in horror at the sight of a demonfaced Angel bending over a baby…

“FREEZE YOU SUMABITCH!” She roared, her heart stuttering in fear at the savage visage that jerked towards her, a twisted snarl of rage on his face. The baby's cries increased in volume.

Angel's head jerked upwards in surprise at the abrupt shout. Recognizing Kate in front, with her gun drawn, he wondered if he looked as gobsmacked as he felt. And silently he cursed her as well as the others with a virulence that would have shocked Cordy and Xander. And make Giles and Spike smirked knowingly. When Michael’s cries turned into screams of fear, he tried to soothe the little tot. Stopping suddenly when looks of fear and disgust on the officer's face darkened ominously.

“Put your hands ups and step away from the kid,” Kate grated out. Her voice was icy, despite the boiling rage that was threatening to choke her.

“Kate if you would please…” Angel began to say. He was exasperated at her once again, unannounced visit.

“SHUT UP!”

Wisely Angel decided to hold his tongue. Besides, reinforcements were on their way. He smirked nastily at Kate but backed away as ordered. All the while he kept a concerned eye on the baby. Squirming and wiggling with fear on the desk. He just hoped he was fast enough to catch Michael if the boy rolled off. Several days of watching Connor and Michael had him convinced the two boys moved at near vampire speed.

“Jay, grab the baby,” Kate snapped over her shoulder. Never once removing her narrowed-eyed attention from the vampire.

“You make one move towards him and that'll be the LAST thing you ever do in this life,” Xander warned the approaching man coldly from the garden entrance. He gave an icy smile when several guns jerked towards him in surprise.

“Cordy…” Angel nodded at the screaming and fitfully crying baby.

Giving the police a frigid, scathing look of haughty contempt, Cordy hurriedly rushed over to take the wailing baby in her arms. Soothing him with quiet whispers of nonsense until his cries faded to hiccupping whimpers. Backing away to safety, behind Gunn, Doyle and Robin’s more solid forms, she contented herself with muttering dire threats in a soft, but audible, voice about the stupidity of brainless cops.

Kate snarled under her breath. She heard some of the nasty remarks the dark-haired girl was making. She couldn't help but flush at the smirks blossoming on the others faces. Especially considering most of the comments had to deal with her. And Angel.

“Contrary to your belief, I can find my ass.” Then speaking louder, “Hey Cordelia, I hear they're having a 75% off on Jimmy Choo’s at Bergdorf's.” Kate had a poisonous smile on her face.

“Ooooh, funny lady,” Cordy replied flatly shooting a scornful look at the blonde cop. With a haughty sniff she added, “Beside the store manager has ALL my numbers on speed dial for just such an emergency!”

“Cut the crap!” Dale shouted as he abruptly entered the conversation. His guts writhing with disgust and rage at the closeness of the humans with Angel. Didn't they understand that it was a demon?! It needed to be destroyed! His mind flashed briefly on his former partner's face. The terrifying screams from Jo as she was dragged into a dark alley. One of those //things// fastened to her neck. And the terror he felt two days later when she arrived at his apartment. Begging to come in. Even though she had a key.

He had hesitated, a wrongness tugging at his senses. Then two strangers showed up. After an intense fight, the large black man distracted her and the other man plunged a an object in her chest. There was a surprised look on Jo's face before she exploded in a cloud of dust. But not before her true face was revealed. As well as the man he later found out to be Angel. He saw its’ true face. The demon with the face of an angel.

Golden eyes; sharp teeth with a thirst for blood...

...evil incarnate.

A vampire.

“I said cut the crap…” he repeated coldly, his gun unwavering on Angel. His mouth lifted in a sneer as he and the others stepped forward. “We caught your precious Angel,” he made the vampire's name a nasty slur. Imbuing it with all the hate and disgust he felt. “We found your friend...just about to have a kiddie-meal!”

Turning a contemptuous look on the vampire, no longer bothering to hide his seething hatred. This time they had him.

“I was changing his diaper…” Angel stated indignantly with an annoyed glare at the officers.

There was a stunned silence. Then wild laughter rang out in the lobby as the group of friends clutched at each other in mirth. Even Giles felt his lips twitching in amusement at the thought of Angel, the goody-two shoes consuming a baby. Especially Michael. His little Angelus.

The policemen glanced among themselves in dismay. This wasn’t going the way they imagined. They all had close encounters with the supernatural dark side of the city. That’s why whenever Kate or Dale called, they tried to be available to answer the summons. They were determined no more humans would suffer at the hands of demons.

These humans didn’t seem to be fearful of Angel. As a matter of fact, they were even letting their kids close to him. Something was wrong. For the first time, Kate and Dale’s followers felt uncertainty stirring in them.

Kate glared at the assembled group. Growing more angered at the seemingly unitedness among the men and women half surrounding Angel. Even the strangers were showing support for him. She ground her teeth in frustrated rage.

“He’s a evil demon for Christssakes!” she burst out. Hardly able to comprehend their sanguine about what Angel truly was.

“Hey, now!” Spike spoke sharply to the blonde copper. His amusement abruptly vanishing at her implied insult. “T’aint no call to be insultin’, like! Ya hear her?! Comparing that soddin’ pouf to the likes of me…I'm evil! He's just a wanker!” There was a world of vast indignation in his voice. “The nerve…” he muttered to Wes. He gave the loony bint a cold blue glare, followed up by a golden-eyed stare as he shifted into his demon form.

The various officers clutched their weapons a bit tighter, their eyes darting nervously between Angel and the new vampire. With a quick glance downward, they insured their crosses were on prominent display, courage re-surging into them.

Kate smiled coldly, a victorious gleam in her eyes. “Well now, since there are two of you, I guess I’ll have to take both of you in. But I’m afraid the only cells we have available are on the east side.”

“In? In for what?” Angel regarded the triumphant cop with wary eyes. Feeling Xander pressing against his back, he drew support from his mate.

“Oh, there’s been a couple of murders in the past few days.”

Gunn sighed wearily. “Woman, there’s murders every friggin’ night in L.A. So, unless you got some victims with holes in their necks, and drained of blood, you’re looking at the wrong demons.” He regarded her with smug satisfaction.

Dale had a sly smile on his face. “Coincidentally, they do have two bite marks on their bodies. Nice, bloody holes. Now, I’m no physician, but they kinda look like teeth marks to me.”

As one Faith et all looked at Gunn accusingly.

“Well, we’re they drained?!” He exclaimed sharply, squirming uncomfortably.

“Angel, where were you last night? And what were you doing?!” Kate snapped in her most officious voice.

“I was here..” he replied steadily.

“…and he was doing me!” Xander shot out angrily. Then gasped in horror at speaking in front of the kids. He slumped, lowering his head against Angel's back in shame.

“Wh…wha…WHAT?!” Kate stuttered in shock.

“Ha ha!” Cordy snickered at the astonished look on the woman’s face. Doyle elbowed his lover none-too-gently in the ribs to shut her up.

“You…you’re GAY?!”

Angel rolled his eyes in exasperation. “Again with the gay question! What’s with you humans?! No, I’m not gay! I’m a soddin’ demon! We generally don’t question our sexuality.”

Recovering swiftly Kate’s glare increased tenfold. “Doesn’t matter anyway. You were about to chow down on that baby. I think we need to call Child Protective Services.” The last was drawled out. And quick, cop-eyes caught the immediate stiffening of Angel’s little boytoy. Her lip curled in disgust.

Giles started. He cast a surreptitious look around the room, searching for Connor. A silent curse on his lips at the sight of the boy creeping behind one of the policemen. His teeth bared in preparation to biting. The older man’s mouth opened in a shout, but he knew he would be too late.

“Connor NO!”

Dale yelped at the stinging pain that blossomed in his leg. Glancing down, he glared at the pair of vivid blue eyes of a vampire child. Terrified, he was aiming his gun at it.

Xander, backed by the power of the Protector, reacted. However, Giles was just as fast. Whipping out a small knife-like blade, he hurled it at the man to distract him. He was aiming to miss. But Dale, who jerked towards him in surprise, didn’t.

The gunshot was explosively loud in the hotel, even as a now frightened Connor was yanked away to safety.

Giles fell to the floor clutching at his shoulder. His breath harsh and ragged from the searing pain exploding in his wounded shoulder. “Bloody fool,” he grated out through clenched teeth. “He’s only a soddin’ baby, you smeggin’ idiot!”

Brief horror paled Dale’s face to a ghostly white before he half-heartedly rallied. “He attacked me! He bit me! What the hell did you expect me to do?”

“Stay the bloody hell away from us?” Wes suggested icily. A raging storm of fury surged behind the cool exterior he presented. With some effort he held a snarling Spike back from ripping out the man’s spine. A fact that a flinching Dale was very much aware of.

“If you had hurt him, I swear I would have made you beg for death,” Xander growled as Willow and Doyle saw to the wounded Giles.

“Is that a threat?” Kate said slowly with a half-smirk. Unable to quit, unable to stop the words spewing out of her mouth in conduct so unbecoming an officer. And a woman. “Are you threatening an officer of the law?”

“If you had harmed my son, I would take great pleasure in destroying you. Mind you, I would not kill you, I would simply make it inconceivably for you to live or find any employment in the world. First I would see to it that each and every one of you is fired. Then whatever dwelling you maintain, be it a house or an apartment, I will find a way to take it from you and toss you out on your ear. By the time I’m finished, you will be turning tricks on the street corners to survive. You will indeed beg for death as I will have seen to making your lives, your family’s life, hell on earth. You see, Xander will only kill you. I, however, would insure that you live to regret your actions this day. That, my dear, is a threat.” Came a frigid voice behind the police officers. A voice that seemed to come from the arctic regions of deep space it was so cold.

Jerod Thompson, one of the ten most richest men in the world, stood in the entrance of the hotel. A harsh, deadly ruthlessness was indelibly etched on his face. He gazed at the stunned men and women with the haughty arrogance of a rich and powerful man.

His five bodyguards surveyed the astonished cops with remote wolfish eyes silently marking the best way to kill them. Sending a shiver through Kate and the others. They had no doubt that with a word, those men wouldn’t give a damn about killing them. They weren’t cop-killers. They were just plain killers.

“Daddy!”

“Da!”

Came two screams of happiness. Then Dawn and Connor rocketed towards their father, ecstatic smiles wreathing their faces.

“Xander…” Cordy said thoughtfully as she stared at the now smiling man as he greeted his children. A look of love and devotion softening the hard lines of his face that almost overshadowed the look of grief deep in his eyes.

“Xander,” Cordy repeated, “Next time if you know someone rich and…and…rich you give me a heads up, okay?”

“Huh?” Xander gave her a puzzled look.

“Never mind…” Cordy sighed. How like Xander to hang around with THE Jerod Thompson. Hell, the man made Donald Trump look like a beginner. Rumor was that he owned almost all of New York City, a quarter of California's most marketable real estate and was worth over $900 billion dollars. He was every woman’s fantasy.

Rich…influential…rich…handsome…and really, really rich!

Prince Charming?! HA! Why settle for the Prince when you could get a king. And boy was he a friggin’ King…and single!

She cast a look at her oblivious lover in his ill-fitting garish clothes, kitchen chair haircut and smirked fondly at his startled look. Too bad she already found what she wanted. Doyle may be a frog to some, but to her…he was her Prince Charming.

Then another figure stepped past the bodyguards, making even them stiffen with wariness. A cold dark presence that had Gunn and Doyle looking for weapons. They silently cursed Angel for being such a cheap bastard not to afford bazookas and rocket launchers.

“Bade...” Connor breathed joyfully from his father’s arms. His eyes werer wide with hero worship.

Spike instinctively slipped into gameface. While he heard about the Whelp and the Cheerleader’s little adventure, he wasn’t about to let down his guard. Especially not with the likes of him around. Word was that Blade liked to stake first then ask questions later.

“Blade, Whistler glad you two could get here,” Xander called out cheerfully to the impassive hard faced man. The older, grey bearded man merely grinned wryly at the irrepressible energetic young man before limping further into the hotel.

“Wes, Angel, Cordy, Faith….good ta see ya,” he nodded calmly to them. Blade allowed himself a slight nod in greeting. He didn’t want anybody to think he was enthusiastic about being here.

They were all coolly ignoring Kate and the nervous policemen. Something of which steadily infuriated her. Dale regarded the growing number of people uneasily. His eyes flickered over the amount of people that were tacitly supporting the vampire and he knew that if it came down to a firefight, him and the rest of his fellow officers were going down. And he had a bad feeling that they wouldn't be taking any of the opposing people with them.

“Everybody…freeze! This isn’t some kinda social event…”

“Actually it is. A social event, that is,” Faith quipped. Her lips were twisted in an amused smile at the puzzled expression on the cop’s face. But her tone held the sincere earnestness of one simply trying to be helpful.

Kate had an angry and confused look on her face.

“He’s been away from home for a couple of years now…” Angel silkily purred. A gleam of cruelty glittered in his eyes before being swiftly hidden.

Spike cast a look at his grandsire’s face and raised an interested brow. Blade tensed for a moment then relaxed with a subtle deliberation when the dark-haired vampire merely paced towards the angry blonde woman. He looked interested as well as he watched the predatory, yet graceful way Angel moved with an approving eye.

“After all, I haven’t seen my lover,” the word cut into Kate's secretive heart with the precision of a scalpel, “…for a good couple of years.” A smooth, seductive darkness threaded through his voice that held Kate paralyzed. There was a fluttering feeling in the pit of her stomach, a deep clenching of muscles in her abdomen that brought a startled gasp from her lips.

“So you can imagine just how…enthusiastic my greeting was.” All the women shivered at the liquid heat in Angel’s voice. It made them think of breathless, moaning, slap-my-ass-and-make-me-scream-your-name kinda sex.

Hot. Sweaty. Desire.

A nice, hard fuck that left you hoarse and feeling pleasantly achy for days.

“Ohhhhh, how I missed touching him. Kissing him…loving him." His voice was a breathy sigh of desire that plucked a nerve. She whimpered, feeling wetness beginning to seep into her panties. "Why I thought I would go out of my mind searching for something to distract me. Can you imagine it? The long nights, wanting your lover so badly that you find your hand sliding beneath the sheets. Touching yourself, wishing it was his hands on your body. Stroking you. Making your whole body quiver with longing. Need. And the fires of desire just keep getting higher... wilder...until you fell like you're burning up. Your hands are slickened with the dewy moisture of the passion that’s seeping from your body. And you wonder what or who can put out the fire that rages in you.”

There was a hot, molten look of pure sex glowing in Angel’s demonic eyes. Kate’s breath was escaping her with tiny gasps of excitement. She flushed; her eyes dilated with desire before turning distant and inward. She gazed, enthralled at the erotic imagery Angel’s sensual words evoked in her mind.

Of her.

Them.

Crying out in passion as she soothed the painful need in the vampire's hungry eyes. A burning longing that he could only slake with her body.

Her breath came faster, the gun dangling from her nerveless hands. A heady shiver of unchecked desire rippled down her spine, curing around her stomach and below. Angel circled around the mesmerized woman. His words a cool, voluptuous caress against her neck and ears. His slow, twisted smile widened further at the arousal he could smell coming from her.

“And you know what?” He nuzzled against her offered neck as her fellow officers gaped at her.

“What…?” Came her soft sigh of bliss as she tilted her head even further back against his shoulder. Rubbing against him like a cat in heat.

“As cute as your ass may be, it doesn’t hold a candle to my sweet boy…” Angel strolled back to Xander. Standing almost protectively in front of the boy and cursing his nasty temper. But oh, it felt so good!

It took a few moments for his words to filter though the lustful daze in Kate’s brain. But when they did, they blasted away the sizzling desire he had inspired with his seductive words. Replacing it with the harsh cold reality. Her carefully hidden secret was revealed for all to see.

With a tortured cry of rage Kate took aim…

Xander’s eyes slid to a burning whiteness…

“Oh dear, I do hope we’re not intruding.” Came a mild voice from the garden entrance. Yet despite its pleasantness, there was a note in the voice that clearly indicated the owner really didn’t give a rat’s ass whether he was intruding or not.

Halfheartedly, the police officers swung in that direction. By now they were numb to the surprises that the seemingly straightforward mission contained.

Rejar surveyed the throng with calm eyes. His eyes lingered the hardest on an abashed Angel before continuing on to the others.

“Ooooh, nasty, bad girl! You like Daddy but he doesn't like you, so there! Bad, naughty girl! Hsst! Daddy loves his dear, sweet Kitten!” Dru twirled from behind Pascal’s broad back, dragging a growling wolfOz by a thick chain. She dropped his chain to hook her fingers in imaginary claws. Allowing her face to shift to demon she hissed.

Xander turned red and squirmed in embarrassment at the smirk Spike gave him.

Dru glared at the astonished expression on Kate's face. “The stars said an angel of law was all curled up. Twisted about with ribbons of black and red. All knotted, and tangled and jangled inside.”

The vampiress' voice smoothed out into one of genteel politeness. Her head cocked to the side as if listening to a voiceless confidant. “Shall we have her for tea?”

Kate shuddered.

Without waiting for an answer, the charmingly, insane vampiress danced over to Angel and Xander. Dru smiled warmly at her daddy’s mate. A wide, incongruously fanged smile of happiness was on her face. Oh yes, how the stars whispered such wonderful things about the future. Such a bright shining future they would have. All of them. She frowned, peering at Willow, Buffy and Giles. Even those nasty girls and that mean, reading man. A scowl pulled her face into a fearsome mask, making her look even more demonic. Her face shifted, resuming it's human guise. It was like sunshine breaking through a cloudy day. A sweet, gentle smile graced her face, banishing her fearful visage.

She was once again, a beautiful Victorian young lady of means. Though slightly eccentric.

And quite mad.

Dru beamed happily up at Xander, her eyes on a distant future with him and daddy. Why even Miss Edith was excited. The silly thing…as if she intended to leave one of her favorite friends behind. Besides, her Daddy Kitten wouldn't dream of such a thing either. He had spoke quite sternly to Miss Edith. Now Miss Edith believed her! The mad childe of Angelus nodded her head in satisfaction. Now Daddy would never be alone again. And she had lots of daddies now! One to protect her, one to scold and love her, and one to laugh and play with her.

The young man’s face softened as he gazed down at his ‘daughter’.

“Hello sweetness,” he said gently, a small smile on his face as well. Maybe it was because when he finally stopped being afraid of her and really got to know her that he discovered that once you got past her bloodthirsty ways, her hankering for pain and suffering (hers as well as others), and her tendency to speak about what Miss Edith and the stars were telling her, Dru wasn't so bad. She was…he searched for a word…misunderstood. That, and nuttier than a fruitcake.

“Greeting , child of Angelus…” the Protector said gravely, nodding at the insane vampiress.

When Xander’s eyes flowed smoothly to white, Dru stepped closer. She rested for a fraction of time again the Protector’s bulk, feeling security wash over her. Safe.

“Daddy White-eyes…” Dru breathed. She leaned closer, her eyes half-closed. Her expression eased as some invisible tension flowed away from her. Spike and Angel glanced at each other uncertainly.

“Yes…”

“Dru…luv…” Angel said gently attempting to pull his disturbed childe away from his mate. He was rudely shocked at the savage growl she threw his way, before the long-haired female cuddled even closer to Xander. Her eyes wary and troubled.

Anger stirred in him at her attitude.

“Let her be…” came Xander's quiet voice. Angel looked at him in surprise, blinking at the compassion in his lover's gaze. “She feels safe. All beautiful princesses should feel safe with their daddies.” He had a wry, crooked grin on his face as he spoke.

With a careless disregard of the many weapons pointing at them, Rejar and his people sauntered further into the hotel.

He looked at Xander, a hint of reproach on his face. “My dear boy, I thought we were supposed to be celebrating your homecoming. Yet, there are guns…” The older man gave a mock shudder of distaste.

A gentle smile played across his face as he watched the uncertain policemen glance at each other nervously, bunching together for strength and courage. Some of them, without even knowing, felt the eerie presence of an ancient predator among them. A creature that dined on their forebears with ruthless dispassionate hunger.

Dale recovered from Dru’s startling entrance. All these sudden arrivals had him feeling like he was sinking in quicksand and the only safety rested on a thick limb just above his head. Where a huge carnivore watched him with patient, hungry eyes. Licking its chops.

Die a slow death or a painful death.

Gritting his teeth, Dale summoned the anger he had felt when they first stormed into the Hyperion. Seizing the initiative, he focused on the tall, imposing man. “Who the fuck are you?!”

Angel, Spike and the others winced; hurriedly, they drew away from the man.

Just in case.

Cordy groaned silently. Eyeing her brand new outfit, she mentally said a sad farewell to it. Long experience taught her that bloodstains were a bitch to get out.

Kate blinked at the alarmed expression that crossed Angel's face as he regarded the man. She briefly wondered if the newcomers were friend or foe. Wondered up until an extraordinarily beautiful, redheaded woman stalked from behind the men. Her breath caught at the pale, fine boned features of the woman. The prenatural way long legs moved; the faint hint of hunger in the wide emerald gaze.

Vampire.

At the scintillatingly, brilliant smile of malevolence directed towards them by the woman, she decided that foe would definitely be it.

Dale, on the other hand, took a step back in alarm. While the tall, elegantly dressed man still had a pleasant, polite smile on his face, something…changed in the quality of that smile. A subtle something that spoke loud and clear to his hindbrain. It reached all the way back to his primal instinct of fight or flight.

His inner caveman was jumping up and down, gibbering with fear. Not even when Jo appear at his apartment had he ever felt more terrified. For half a second he thought he would be faced with the indignity of pissing all over himself.

Fortunately, that disturbingly empty, rapacious gaze drifted away from him. Leaving him limp with relief. That, more than anything, made him abruptly decide to leave the hotel. Hell, maybe even the city itself. There was just too much weirdness going on. He brightened. A couple buddies of his mentioned what a cushy job they had. The town they worked in didn’t have the bright, charged atmosphere of the city, but that’d be a plus. Maybe he’ll see about transferring to Sunnydale Police Department. At least there he wouldn't have to worry about goddamn vampires. He nodded to himself. Already mentally filling out the paperwork.

“You are quite right, young man. Where are my manners?” Rejar murmured with another cool, polite smile. “As to 'who the fuck’, I believe that was the phrase you used,” cold, razor sharp eyes caught the man’s wince. Which he thoroughly approved. “…I am Rejar, Master of the House Aurelius.”

He glanced at each of the human law enforcers with a raised brow. “And you might be?” he gently inquired.

It was surprising just how unenthused the policemen were to give the crea…the man their names. They had a bad feeling that if they did, they soon wouldn’t need to use it themselves.

“We ask the questions here!” Kate snapped, her tone almost arrogant. She ignored Dale’s frantic hand signals. Determined to make life as difficult for Angel and anybody that he associated with. Her eyes briefly rested on the tall young man leaning against the vampire; her lip curled.

Those acquainted with the senior vampire glanced at each other before carefully withdrawing even farther. They moved with the exquisite care one used in a roomful of venomous, bad tempered vipers.

Rejar’s face lost all expression at her tone. He generally did not have a problem with arrogance. Just as long as it was he that was being arrogant.

Demons and humans had long since found the swiftest way to get on Rejar’s less pleasant side was adopting a superior or arrogant tone of voice with him. The vampire corrected them by gently ripping out their throats.

The Master’s eyes narrowed fractionally. Those that breathed, held their breath. They wondered which direction the cold, implacable vampire would go. A quick, painless death or a slow, infinitely painful death. Because they all knew that Kate was a goner.

Cordy found herself almost sympathetic to the coming agony that the brainless, stupid cop would be facing. Not too much, of course. The only reward for that kinda stupidity is to swift ejection from the gene pool. Pronto. No telling what kinda dumb, ignorant nutcase would start cropping up if Kate was allowed to breed. She shivered in quick horror at the thought.

Kate belatedly recognized the extreme danger her hasty words put her in. But with the suicidal fearlessness of the doomed, she faced him. Chin lifted, she struggled for a look of defiance. A look she was pretty much sure was a spectacular failure. What with the fear she just knew was pouring off her. She was probably drowning the room in fear, Kate thought with glum fatality.

There came a gentle chiming sound of a cellphone that broke the deadly silence that spread outward from Rejar. Kate looked down in dumb surprise.

Oh, phone. My phone! Fumbling it out, she hesitantly answered.

The vampires eavesdropped shamelessly.

“Hey Lockley...you'll never guess what we found?” Townsend exclaimed cheerfully. “We found the murder weapon and the murderer. Seems some poor geek had been stalking this girl. He said he was only trying to protect her from, now get this, a vampire. But it seems the girl and the 'vampire' were really good friends, ya know? Our boy didn't figure that into his calculations. So he killed the girl with this weird looking knife. Claims he killed the vampire, too. Anyway, I'll finish up the report and make a copy for your files.”

Numbly, Kate slowly closed the phone. Her breath shuddering in her throat at just how fucked she was.

Rejar regarded the now terrified woman with the cool interest of a panther for a mouse trapped between its’ paws. Not quite a meal but it may be amusing to play with.

He stepped closer to the trembling officer, his eyes intent on her fearful, yet defiant eyes. “You are brave and almost fearless. However, that is swiftly being eclipsed by your almost boundless stupidity. Lost it.” With those simple words, conveying all the inhuman charm of a black mamba, he stepped past the shaken young woman. Already dismissing her from further consideration.

Everyone, except Cordy, Spike and Gunn, breathed a sigh of relief. The young dark haired woman gave Rejar a speculative look beneath lowered lashes. Wondering if she whined enough, would he kill Kate for her?

“Don’t even think about it…” Angel warned the girl in a low, quiet voice as he slipped up beside her. Cordy started. Whirling around, an innocuous expression on her face, totally at odds with the smirk reflected in her wide eyes, she tried to brazen it off.

“Angel? Think about what? About the new fashion line that Alessandro Dell'Acqua is coming out with this summer? Or maybe about those…” she faltered to a stop at the grim amused look in his eyes. Cordy tried out a sulky look and when that didn’t work, she pulled out her most devastating weapon…the almighty Pout. Useful for all sorts of things. Most notably, bringing strong men to their knees.

Angel regarded her levelly. “May I remind you that while I am fond of you, I most definitely am not in love with you. So that look just doesn’t work on me.”

She grinned cheekily. “Well, ya can’t blame a girl for trying.” Before he could respond, Cordy sauntered off. Making a bee-line for MaryAlice, the two exchanged delighted screams at the other’s outfit.

It was a few seconds before Angel realized that he never got Cordy’s agreement to leave Kate and the others alone. A dark look chilled his eyes to almost obsidian chips of ice. They belonged to him…especially Kate.

Buffy shivered as she watched a cruel smile play on Angel’s face. For the first time, she wondered which side of the vampire was present: Angel or Angelus? And if Angelus, how long had he been free? Was that who Xander had been sleeping with all this time?

“You always misunderstood what truly divided Angel and Angelus,” Wesley spoke softly to the tiny blonde ex-Slayer. Buffy whirled around with a gasp, her eyes wide in fright at how silently the older man moved.

“Wha…what do you mean?”

Wesley eyed her dispassionately. His face cool and remote as he spoke. “I mean the line that divided Angel and Angelus was as fine as a spider's thread. Angel did good because he wanted to. Not because he was forced. Angelus acted like a sociopath because he reveled in his dark deeds. Or perhaps because he was bored.”

“Angel was good! He IS good!” Buffy’s voice was low and fierce. Her mouth twisted in an ugly smile. “Or at least he was before the rest of you got to him.”

The older man shook his head, his eyes chilling to subzero. “No matter how saintly a human is or seems, there's a dark side to their personality. There have been many humans that have behaved with such depraved indifference to life, it literally shocked the world. Men and women that held the value of human life meaningless. Adolf Hitler, Idi Amin, Haile Megistu, Aileen Wuornos, Jeffrey Dalmer to name a few. Peter Kürten was a sadistic killer around the late 1920's in Düsseldorf, Germany. He wantonly murdered several dozen people. Men, women...even little girls. He also raped quite a few of his female victims before he killed them. Stabbing, bludgeoning, strangling were some of his favorite ways of dispensing with his victims. He also set fire to quite a few of the bodies. He seemed to have gotten his 'jollies' out of these dark, sadistic attacks.” Wes had a cold smile on his face as he gazed down at the shaken young girl.

“As I remember what was written about him, I am reminded so very much of Angelus. Peter Kürten was reputed to be a pathologically over-sexed man, with extreme psychopathic impulses. He was an individual so incredibly self-centered that, in a word, no other human being mattered. Does his characteristics sound familiar to you? Yet you, in your almighty wisdom, dare to suggest that Angel is or was somehow morally superior to humans? Do you honestly think that Angel, with his pure and noble ‘soul’ is any better than humans at controlling their dark sides? Far more capable of exercising restraint over his darker impulses especially with a demon like Angelus riding his back?”

He leaned closer to her, smiling with icy menace almost worthy of Rejar . “Do you know what Angel was doing during the 80 plus years he said he was redeeming himself? I don't. It is one of the few things that Spike will refuse to speak to me about. When pressed, even Xander got upset and walked away from me. He wouldn't talk to me for days.”

Buffy recovered her tongue. “I thought you were supposed to be his friend.” She tossed out, even though she knew her defense was weak.

Wesley straightened. He looked down his nose at her, drawing the tattered remnants of the haughty pride of his forebears over him like a cloak. The tall, dark-haired English man gave Buffy a look of the astonished wonder of a duke cheeked by a grubby stableboy.

“I am his friend,” he retorted stiffly. His eyes narrowed. “But I am also no fool.” He turned and left, ending the conversation on a harsh note.

Buffy trembled slightly. Her worldview, veiled through which she saw events of her past that related to her was beginning to shake and thin out. Everything that she held onto so fiercely throughout the 'bad times', what she called her imprisonment, was showing definite signs of corrosion. Creeping like a black stain across her concept of reality. Revealing the sordid, ugly truth underneath. A truth that she stridently denied. Her rejection was a primal shout emanating from the depths of her soul.

The young woman sighed softly, her body relaxing its tense posture as her worldview re-settled itself. Resuming its' fractured path though her mind, seemingly unchanged. Planting a patently false smile on her face, she headed for the wall. Steadfastly refusing to join the laughing, chattering crowd. Spitefully hoping that her presence was enough to bring Xander's little party down. However, without her noticing, a change HAD occurred in her self-deluded vision of reality. A subtle, yet significant, alteration. The misty veil that she viewed life was a little less opaque.

Across the room, Xander sighed and shook his head. Both he and the Protector thought they had broken Buffy's self-absorbed mindset.

//“Okay, what are we going to do now?”// the young man asked of the Protector.

//“Why ask me? You're the human...plus you were friends with her. You'll figure something out,”// it responded. There was a certain...note in its' mental voice that had Xander's eyes narrowing suspiciously.

//“You know, for a emotionless, Spocklike being, you sound remarkably smug,”// he replied accusingly.

//“Whatever.”//

//“That's it! No more talking to Cordy!”// Xander exclaimed heatedly. He was ready to start a good old-fashioned argument with his inner roommate when Angel touched his arm, drawing his attention back to the outside world.

*

The cops, deciding discretion was the better part of valor, made a hurried, nonchalant beeline for the door. All except Kate. She found her arm firmly restrained by the iron grip Rejar had on her upper arm. Looking up, her mouth opened to blast him Kate fell into his magnetic eyes.

“Why don't you stay? It is so rare for me to meet any interesting people.” He murmured softly to her, allowing a bit of warmth to come into his eyes. “You manage to intrigue me. Stay...”

“okay...” Kate squeaked out weakly, her eyes wide with heady pleasure. He escorted her to a place against the wall, saying that he would return with something for her to drink. Leaving, he coolly rejoined Kyle and Pascal. He knew his power over women, and men. The human would remain in place.

Blade sauntered towards the older vampires. Stepping casually around the gyrating figures of the dancers with effortless grace. No emotion disturbed the sleek impassivity of his face as he drew closer. His eyes flicked over the gathering crowd. However, a hint of relief shone briefly in his dark amber gaze when his eyes fell on Whistler casually talking to Wesley. He still didn't feel easy seeing the old man gallivanting around. They both had had a hard time over the past few months. Though recuperating at Xander's place did have its advantages. A hard smirk touched his lips. That kid's playroom was almost as nasty and dangerous as his.

He joined the ancient men as they stood idly talking. Although his motionless silence usually had the effect of having people become nervous and agitated, these men were made of hardier stuff.

If the boy wanted to say something, then he needed to damn well open his mouth was the unvoiced consensus.

“Are you really interested in that woman?” Blade stated abruptly, growing tired of their refusal to comply with his unspoken rules.

Rejar raised his brows, looking momentarily puzzled. His expression cleared. He glanced over his shoulder at Kate's hopeful face then returned his attention to the boy. “Certainly.” He raised a glass of bloodwine to his lips and took a sip. “MaryAlice has put us on a diet. She says we are getting fat.” He regarded the dark vampire hunter levelly over his glass.

Blade studied the senior vampire with a dispassionate gaze as Rejar 's words filtered through his mind. His eyes shifted to the blonde woman, then back to the older vampire's cool eyes.

And he dismissed the woman's potential fate from his mind. If she was ignorant enough to come in here without sufficient protection, then she deserved what she got.

Rejar smiled faintly. He slid a look to Kyle then said, “Gentlemen, I think I will do as Cordy's requested and go 'shake my thang'.” Ignoring their dumbfound looks, he glided away and was instantly surrounded by the laughing children. All claiming that they would 'show' him how to bust a move. Rejar threw a mock, panicky look back at Pascal and Kyle before following Cordy's outrageous suggestion to wiggle his hips. Dawn shrieked with laughter at the sight. Even Buffy and Willow found their lips twitching in amusement.

Darting a quick look around, Connor slipped up the stairs without anyone noticing. He had a surprise for his hero.

“He acts so differently with them,” Blade spoke quietly. At first, he was hardly aware the words had slipped out of his mouth. His expression immediately shut down. Fearing that Kyle or Pascal would take advantage of his momentary lapse.

“How many young people do you know?” Kyle regarded the dark warrior. His expression as blank as the other. “When Rejar became Master of the House, he made it an automatic death sentence should any of our House Turn a human under the age of 21. There are no 'young' vampires within the House.”

“But he acts protective of them,” the young hunter replied. A subtle look of annoyance glinted in his dark eyes at the unfathomable behavior of Master Rejar.

“Well, d'uh,” Kyle responded sarcastically. Pascal gave his friend a bland look. But inside he was jumping for joy. He won! He finally won a bet with Rejar ! So enthused, he couldn't resist giving a slight smile of superiority at the young vampire hunter. He had bet the older vampire $500 that Kyle would start getting sarcastic within five minutes of being within Blade's presence. Whoohoo! However, he was a bit taken aback at the disgruntled look that Kyle shot him.

Damn! Why did he ever bet Rejar $10,000 that Pascal could refrain from giving Blade that superior look, Kyle groused silently to himself. “Think about it, you little...” he bit back what he was going to call the boy at the warning glitter in the young man's eyes. “Xander and the Protector are virtually one being. You harm Xander, you'll have a world of hurting coming at ya. And there won't be a fuckin' thing you can do to avoid it. Xander thinks of Cordy and Faith as his sisters. And they think the world of him. So what do you think Xander would do if somebody hurt one of his sisters?”

Blade nodded in understanding. That made perfect sense. Then he hesitated, looking carefully at Rejar laughing. Seemingly enjoying himself with the kids. “But all he needs to do is simply avoid them,” he said in protest, now back to being confused.

“Yeah, he could do that.” Pascal shrugged his broad shoulders as he entered the conversation. “But I think he still wants to Sire both Faith and Cordy even though the Protector says No.”

“So he's wooing them?”

“My ears are tingling. Someone must be mentioning my name,” Rejar said mildly as he came up silently behind Blade. To the dark warrior's credit, he didn't jump and start flailing about with his weapons.

But, oh how he wanted. Especially at the visible laughter in Kyle and Pascal's eyes as his extreme non-reaction screamed louder than a reaction.

The older vampire regarded the still figure of the dark child with an approving nod. Someday soon, Blade would make a formidable member of the House Aurelius. However, that was a thought he never voiced to his three trusted lieutenants. He was well aware of their distaste for the hunter. He needed to ease them into accepting the child. Otherwise, Blade would be instantly dusted the moment he became vampire. But with three nursemaids looking after the newest childe, he would have a most dangerous trio of nursemaids that only an insane vampire would dare to challenge.

Xander strode energetically to the foursome with a crooked half-smile. “Hey guys, enjoying the party?!”

Blade wanted to roll his eyes. He had long suspected the kid was an energy vampire. Every time he so much as looked at Xander, he felt drained at the bouncy enthusiasm the boy greeted life. He eyed the young man with a carefully bland expression. Even the kid's hair was bouncing, he silently grumbled. And Xander was standing still!

After the chorus of assents from Kyle and Pascal, Xander lost his cheerful smile. He regarded Blade's shuttered face as if searching for some imagined injury. A look that puzzled the dark hunter immensely. He slid a look at Rejar . His eyes narrowing suspiciously at the bland look that was returned.

“How are you really doing, Blade? I...uhm...heard about what happened to Whistler and...and...those Reapers. I...I...wish you would have called me. I would have helped.” Xander said in a breathless rush, his eyes wide and earnest as he gazed at the imposing tattooed man.

Pascal and Kyle groaned silently, though their faces were as impassive as Blade's.

The tattooed warrior studied the young man with bland curiosity. “And how did you come to hear about what happened to Whistler and the Reapers? I certainly don't remember saying anything. Nor, I'm sure, did Whistler.”

“Oh...oh! Did I say Reapers?! I meant...uhm...,” Xander stuttered in panic. His eyes widened even further. “Oh, look Angel's calling me!” Before Blade could grab the boy, Xander ran away.

There was a seething silence left in his wake. Rejar flicked a glance at his two lieutenants, silently telling them to leave him and Blade alone. They refused with narrowed-eyes. His eyes hardened. Kyle and Pascal suddenly discovered that Angel was also calling them as well and made a hurried departure.

“So, my young friend...” Rejar began mildly.

“I'm not your friend,” Blade shot back tightly. His hands slowly clenching into a fist.

Rejar had a look of calculated interest on his face. “Ahhhh, then that means you are my enemy?” He waited politely for the answer with inhuman patience.

Blade glared at the vampire but remained silent. He knew if he answered that he and Rejar were enemies, then he would be cut down in a heartbeat. The only enemies the older vampire had swiftly became dust or powerless.

“What have you learned since we parted, young Blade?” Rejar inquired softly.

Blade paused, his words halted in his throat as memories of everything he had experienced since he had met Xander cascaded through his mind.

Meeting his father. Finding out his mother was still alive. Killing both his mother and father. Losing the man he considered his true father. Rescuing Josh, finding Whistler then helping the older man recover from his own bloodthirst.

Finding Nyssa.

There was momentary softening of his obsidian expression that only keen eyes could spot. Rejar was rumored to be able to detect a flea taking a leisurely stroll on a brocade couch.

Blade’s eyes had a slightly distant cast. All his life, he hated vampires with a virulent passion. For the vampire that 'killed' his mother. For being born...different. And everything he had done since then only reinforced his belief that vampires were evil creatures. Worthy only to die. But Nyssa Damaskinos, a virtual princess of vampiric descent showed him that there were vampires that believed in honor. In justice. In a strange way, even Jared, the carrier of the Reaper strain that mutated vampires into horrible caricatures of what they were. Changing them into something that threatened even the vampires.

For the first time, the nightwalkers were prey along with the humans.

Vulnerable.

Terrified.

Infected with the virus by his own father, the prince hunted down his father and killed him. Jared showed him that some Nostrafus had a strong sense of what was right. And what was not. Though the man lost a lot of points when he tried to kill him, Blade wryly admitted.

He met Rejar's calm, remote gaze with a coolness that almost matched the vampire. “That even vampires have their own version of honor.” He paused, then replied slowly, holding the vampire's eyes. "To keep your friends close; and your enemies even closer."

“Ahhhh...”

Blade turned to go with an arrogant swirl of black leather. He stopped at Rejar 's next casual words.

“Next time, make sure you study the blueprints. Had those Reapers escaped through the side tunnel, I fear we would be hip deep in those nasty things.”

“We had all the exits sealed and covered.” Blade whirled around to protest in a hard, stonecrushing voice.

Rejar said nothing. He merely took another sip from his glass. He made a mental note to have a couple of case of vintage bloodwine delivered to Angel. That should please the childe; if Angel was pleased, Xander was happy. A pleased Xander was a pleased Protector. A little more stroking on his part and he would hopefully have Cordy as a childe.

His childe.

With a couple of centuries under her belt, she would make a wonderful Master of Aurelius. The corners of his lips turned up in a tiny smile.

He turned his attention back to Blade at the younger man's plaintive question.

“Didn't we?” Blade repeated his question a little louder when the vampire didn't answer immediately.

Rejar was pleased at the uncertain note in Blade's voice. Children today always thought they had all the answers. But he relented at the glimpse of hidden terror in Blade's eyes. “You had almost all of them covered. Once Whistler informed me of your plan, I decided to provide additional backup. Just in case you needed it. I had wondered at your lack of foresight in sealing off that tunnel.”

Blade hissed in sudden anger. His eyes darted to his oblivious friend's head as a shattering sense of betrayal raced through him.

“Your friend cares deeply for you,” Rejar snapped. He stepped closer to the angry young man, blocking Blade's view. There was cold disapproval glowing in his eyes. “His only fear was that you were simply following after Nyssa like a dog after a bitch in heat. He thought you were blindly walking into a trap. His actions were that of a friend. He only sought to protect you.” He carefully watched the young man swallow and think past the rage that gripped him. And saw weary acceptance in the darkened eyes.

“You are the closest thing to a son he has...he is very much loath to lose you,” he added softly.

Blade just sighed. “I know.”

Then Xander came back, hesitancy in his dragging steps. “Uhm...Blade...I...I mean, the Protector said that your cure for Whistler's bloodthirst is only temporary. It'll come back without warning. And....here...” the young man thrust a vial at Blade.

“What is it?” The vampire hunter studied the vial suspiciously, turning it this way and that.

“It's something the Protector made. It said that it'll cure Whistler's bloodthirst.” Xander shook his head slowly at the unvoiced question in Blade's eyes. “It said that if it attempted to cure you, you would...” his eyes slid to a brilliant uncanny whiteness.

“Cease to be.” The Protector came to the foreground. “Your condition, while unnatural, however it is essentially natural to you. To cure you, I would have to eliminate the very thing that makes you...you. Your condition is embedded in your bones. It is contained right into your DNA and every atom of your body.”

Blade was like a statue as what the Protector said washed over him. With a quick shifting of his shoulders, he threw off his bitterness. It was enough that Whistler would be cured. For that he would be grateful. And continue looking for a way around his vampiric condition.

The Protector and Rejar watched the dark figure of the hunter cut through the laughing, dancing crowd with ease.

“He will never stop hunting for a cure...” Rejar said quietly.

“Only time will cure him,” spoke the Protector.

“He will die?” Rejar asked in alarm. Peering down into the white-eyed gaze, he looked for some clue.

The Protector hesitated slightly. “Yes. If he continues like this, eventually he will become a true vampire. Then he will be worse threat than the Reapers. Any child born naturally from his seed will be like him. Monsters. Evil. Predators.”

Rejar blinked, reeling under this new information. “You've faced one of him before?”

“I've faced an army of them before.” The Protector said calmly. “And I eradicated them from the face of the earth. As I will do with Blade should he become one of them.”

“How long?”

“He has about 50 years before he begins to change.” It then allowed Xander to return. The young man gave the older vampire a sympathetic glance before darting away.

Rejar's face was hard at the decision the Protector put before him. Turn the boy or kill him.

He knew Blade.

50 years wasn't nearly enough time to convince the stubborn child that being a vampire was a good thing.

Then his attention was drawn by a shout of wild, hysterical laughter. Curious he looked up, wondering about the mirthful giggles from everyone. His face froze in astonishment. And the crowd of partygoers were treated to the rare sight of the remote, haughty Master of Aurelius giggling like a loon.

Stopping mid-way down on the stairs, Connor frowned at the laughing crowd. His tiny face reflecting his injured feelings at the laughter coming from his family and friends.

Blade came out of his frozen horror. Walking calmly up the stairs, he approached the little boy. “C'mon kid. They're just jealous of us. They know they can't pull off the look of black leather and tattoos.” Taking the child's hand, he escorted the boy down the rest of the stairs. Cutting through the snickering onlookers, he glared at them all. Manfully choking down his tendency to howl with laugher as well. He aimed an evil stare at Xander. He just knew the boy had something to do with this. But all Xander gave him was an innocent stare.

Connor looked up at Blade, then back down. The child stroked his miniature leather pants, vest and duster with pride. He even had a black turtleneck on. “I paint da tatoo on all by mydelf!” he confided proudly. Blade could only wonder at the mess the kid made upstairs.

Tugging his hand from Blade's, the boy fumbled in his coat eventually managing to pull something out of the pocket. He regarded the item with deep satisfaction.

The dark warrior closed his eyes in dreaded wonder. The kid even had a pair of sunglasses! He was gonna find the maker of his sunglasses and pound the little turd into a pulp. One of a fuckin' kind, my ass!

This was all Xander's fault. He just knew it.

“Blade and Blade-lite...” Xander rasped to Cordy. His sides were hurting from the strain of trying not to laugh. She pounded on his arm weakly, struggling to breath as tears of mirth continued to roll down her face.

Pascal turned to Kyle with a horrified face. “Dude, that was just evil.”

“I know...the demon made me do it,” Kyle replied with a wicked smirk. This was his greatest prank yet

END PART 12