<body bgcolor="#ffffff" text="#000000"> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"><html><head>itle>Untitled


Title: Watcher-to-Watcher

Author: KateR

Fandom: Buffy/Highlander

Disclaimer: they belong to joss and Davis/Panzer

Rating: PG-13 to R

Pairings: Wes/Methos

Summary: What happens when a Watcher from one branch finds a Watcher from another branch washed up on a riverbank and then has to call the Watcher from his branch that knows the Watcher from the other branch? Things get interesting for sure.


Watcher-to-Watcher
By Kate R.


Wesley Wyndham-Pryce strode along the street as quickly as he could heading to Giles' house. Not his apartment but the house he lived in when not caring for the children. Something was up, he knew. It had to be for Rupert Giles to call him. Wesley sighed as he rang the bell and Ethan Rayne opened the door. That was a true rumor then but Wesley was not going to confirm it.

"Where is he?" Wesley asked as Ethan immediately led him up to a bedroom. He followed him in and just stopped dead at the tall, pale man lying on the bed.

"Damn," Wesley muttered. "Adam?"

"I found him by the riverside, Wesley," Giles said. "I know his face as it appears in your file."

"Adam," Wesley whispered as he took the limp hand. "Oh, Adam."

Giles watched, seeing the expression on Wesley's face as the younger man sat on the side of the bed and lifted Adam into his arms and just held him.

"I'm here, luv," Wesley said softly. "I'm here."

Giles watched as Wesley slowly bent over and kissed the sleeping man oh, so gently on the lips. He felt his world tip on its axis as Wesley brushed the hair off the man's face as gently as he could.

"Mmm," a weak voice whispered and Giles's eyes shot down to the man who had been asleep a few minutes before. He was now looking up at Wesley with the most confused look on his face.

"Why are you dressed like Him?" the man Giles knew to be Adam Pierson asked. "I didn't teach you to dress like that and I know I said it was impractical for sword work."

"You can buy me the right stuff later," Wesley said quietly. He must have known Giles would hear but Adam needed to know. "I, unlike you, do not have more money than God. I don't have anything anymore."

"What did he do?" Adam asked as he started to feel stronger. It was obvious to Giles the beginning of a rage was giving the man strength. "What did that bastard do to you for loving me?"

"I--," Wesley began. 'This is all…I mean…"

His stomach growled then and Giles looked up sharply. Wesley's head ducked down but he had forgotten Adam was here now.

"I know your face, but not your name," Adam said to Giles. "Your branch and mine do not get along well. But could you bring him something to eat? I'll gladly pay you for the food. Wes, you need to eat, luv. You wont be strong enough to be of any help if you don't."

"I'm worthless here as it is, Adam," Wesley quietly admitted. "They all hate me. I panicked my first night out."

"You think any watcher doesn't on their very first mission? You watched Darius, Wes. You saved his life. If seeing a demon scared you, it must have been a bad one."

"Balthazaar," Wesley whispered with his head against Adam's bare shoulder.

"Joy," Adam muttered. "You froze didn't you? Wes, little secret, I froze facing a demon once and you know what I am capable of. Screw them if they can't understand that not everyone is like their callous, heard hearted selves. God I thought I'd never see you again. I missed you so much."

Giles stood in the doorway with the sandwich and watched as Adam just held Wesley against his shoulder. Something told him there was more about Wesley than what was in his file and he looked next to him at his own lover to see if he would look for him.

"I'll start after we eat, luv," Ethan said. He saw the way the younger man clung to Adam and he felt his insides tuning to ice, as he understood, the younger man needed Adam for safety.

"I'll make it better," Adam was saying as Giles set the sandwich on the nightstand and backed out of the room. The last thing he heard before he closed the door on them was a softly spoken promise in a voice that chilled even him saying "I promise luv, I will make it better."

And Giles knew he would. Something about Adam Pierson just told him, he would in no uncertain terms fix whatever had been done to the young man currently lying in his arms.

Such a role reversal. It started with Wesley holding Adam and now it was Adam holding and soothing Wesley. Giles sighed and did the only thing he could, he called the head of US operations, Joe Dawson.

"I found Pierson," he said tersely when the phone was answered. "However, right now he's needed where he is. Thank you, Joe. I'll see you then. Yes, goodbye."

And Giles hung up and growled as he thought about this and what was to come. He waited for Joe to arrive, knowing he would have some answers and Adam and Wesley had others and still others, Ethan was getting as he stood thinking. When he had the whole picture, he was certain he was going to feel homicidal. When he had the whole picture. Which thankfully for Travers and Wesley's father, he didn't…Yet.


Part 1

Wesley was sleeping, Adam knew, so it was safe to start punching the extra pillow. He hit it over and over again as he thought about things. Finally he stopped when Wesley began to get restless and he lifted the younger man into his arms. All he could think as he looked down at Wesley was that the young man really was as tired as he looked. He was also malnourished, sick, hurt, and cold. Methos was doing his best to remedy that. He'd wrapped Wesley in the down comforter after draping the sheet over himself toga style. He was sitting with Wesley leaning against him, sleeping soundly but only when Adam was there. He'd left the room once to use the bathroom and he'd come back to find Wesley curled up in a ball around the pillow he'd been sleeping on. Adam had woken him and not mentioning what he had heard being discussed by the two men he didn't know, just sat and listened as Wes told him how tired he was. How very tired and hurt. Adam had taken him into his arms and rocked him until he fell asleep. Adam had done all that needed to be done to get Wesley comfortable. However, Doctor Adams had treated him and diagnosed at least 14 injuries that were not healed properly. So, he had begged Wes' forgiveness, re-injured him and set the injuries, mostly broken bones, to heal properly. His Quickening was speeding the process along. His own power was mending Wesley, inside and out. His own power was making Wesley his. In more ways than one but then, if Wes did not want to be his, he would have rejected that part. He hadn't. He'd taken all of what Methos offered. Methos sighed knowing he was now bound to Wesley for eternity. They were now, for all intents and purposes, One. And he knew the game had changed, ended, with his choosing to do this. There was no more game; there was no more prize. He'd just ended it. And he knew all over the world, immortals were losing the lust to kill each other. The world had changed. Again.

"Adam?" Joe Dawson asked as he came into the room with a bundle of clothes. Adam looked up at him and smiled.

"Have no fear, Joe," he said as he traced Wesley's scars. "I won't start killing until tonight. I want to get his fever broken first. We're just going to put him to bed now and I'm going to sit with him awhile. Maybe you could spell me for a few hours while I deal with whoever is supervising him. Because I do indeed intend to kill them. All of them eventually but I'll be satisfied with those two for now."

"I'll sit with him sure," Joe said. "I brought the face paint and mask for you. Don't know why but after the talk I just had with Ripper and Ethan I know you're going to want it. Your cloak is in the bag as well as the scimitar you used as Death. Your Ivanhoe is in Giles' sword chest."

"I'll need that too, thanks Joe," Methos said as he sat and watched Wesley sleep. He watched him until he woke again and then told him he would be back in a few hours.

He left the house to do his deed and returned a few hours later, the clothes he'd worn splattered with blood. Giles was waiting and took them from him. Methos did not know what happened to them but he knew they were gone, destroyed, and he was content with that. He then returned to Wesley and just sat and held him for a while.

He looked up when the door opened briefly and a man he did not know looked in to the room. The man nodded once and then left. It was as if he wanted to be sure Wesley was okay.

"His name is Angel," the man called Ripper Giles said as he came in later. "He is a vampire. He is watching over all of us."

"Good, someone needs to," Adam Pierson said. Although, Giles was beginning to suspect that was not his name. He watched as Wesley rolled against Adam and made a mewling noise. Adam soothed him then, brushing his hair back off his face and kissed him as gently as Wes had kissed Adam himself earlier.

"I think I understand some things," Giles said. "When he saw you, his face showed more emotion than it had since I've known him. Everything seemed to change when he saw you."

"I am his everything," Adam whispered. "Just as He is Mine. We are One. And that is all that matters now."

"I never thought the day would come that I'd see him act…"

"Human?" Adam asked. "Yes. I suspected he'd been broken when they took him. I'll fix him. And I'll deal with those who did this."

"Could I ask you to repay them for Ethan as well?" Ripper asked. Adam looked up at him waiting for an explanation.

"I didn't know Ethan was the one who gave me the second chance. Ethan gave himself in my place. In all of our places. He's the only one who ever had to pay for anything my gang did and I didn't know. Not until I got a call from Philip's Lawyer telling me Phil had a letter for me. It told me what he knew. There were other letters for me from Deirdre and Thomas as well, the picture was coming together and I…When I realized it, I went after him. I found him…I found him still paying for all of us, still suffering. So, I took him away. I keep him here, hidden from those who would hurt him. I've learned to pay attention and cherish those who should matter the most to me. Not a girl child but a man who loved me enough at 20 to pay a price for me. I love him, too you know. I let myself forget when he vanished but I do love him."

"I'd hit you if I wasn't sure you'd already beaten yourself blood over this mentally. Yes, I will repay them for him, and for you. But in future, pay a-bloody-ttention. He won't survive you being so careless again."

"I wont be that careless again," Giles said softly as he walked back to his own room an hour after sitting and watching care for Wesley. Ethan was already asleep and having yet more bad dreams. Ripper sat on the bed and pulled him into his arms. To hell with his own comfort, he thought as he lay back in the bed in his jeans. And to hell with Buffy and the children tonight. This was more important, Ethan was more important.

Funny how once he'd made that decision consciously, it was so easy to see.

Yes, Ethan was the most important thing in the world to him. And that, he knew, in his heart of hearts and the deepest, most private part of his soul, was how it should have always been. How it was now was and how it would be from now until forever. Ethan was his everything, much as Wesley, lying in Adam's arms, was His everything. And Giles almost felt pity for the one's who'd hurt the boy.

Almost.


PART 2

Xander Harris stared at the house in front of him. Angel had come here tonight, and not to the mansion. Xander stood thinking and reached the only decision he could based on his narrow-minded, prejudicially blind mind could: Angel was not Angel and this was a secret base he had to kill them all.

Xander waited until dawn and then walked up to the house to see whom Angelus had on his side. He banged on the door hard thinking to startle anyone who was there. He got a shock as a moment later the door was ripped open and he found himself face to face with Giles. And Giles looked pissed.

"If it's not the fucking end of the world, I don't want to be bothered," he growled. Xander stepped back in shock of the normally quiet librarian growling at him and he moved forward.

"Xander, get the hell out of my house," Giles growled. Xander stepped back again, shocked.

"Your house?" Xander squeaked. "But Angel…I saw him… and he never said and you never said…"

"Is it any of your damn business where I live when I'm not pandering to your whims? This is My house. And you all are not bloody welcome here!"

"So, why is he here?' Xander asked shoving past Giles into the house and storming over to where Wesley was sitting hunched over a book as if trying to hide.

"Why are you here Wussly?" he demanded snidely. He jerked Wesley's head up and barely glanced at him before he was ripped away from the younger watcher.

"Get your hands off of my beloved," a voice growled in his ear. Xander turned his head and und himself looking into a pair of green/gold eyes that held him pinned to the wall in shock by something in them.

"Who are you?" Xander asked coldly as he was getting angry. Giles had people over the Scoobies didn't know. That wasn't how it was supposed to work.

"I am someone who was invited here. You are not."

"Neither was Wussly there," Xander snapped.

"On the contrary," Giles said. "He was. Now, Xander you do not belong here. This is not Giles the Librarian's place. This is not Giles the Watcher's place either. He quit months before he was fired. This is Ripper Giles' place and there is no room here for self important twits."

"Self important?" Xander demanded. "We save the world!"

'No, I research; others fight but not you all. The hell mouth is small in comparison to other things that you would not last an instant against."

"Why is he here?" Xander yelled as he saw Ethan. He moved, or started to, to grab the sorcerer, when Giles grabbed him by the scruff.

"He is here because I want him here you little bastard!" Giles growled. "He is here because I brought him here. I did not invite you in or welcome you. You can get the hell out of here. Now!"

Xander stared from Giles to Ethan feeling like it was all Ethan's fault Giles was not being Giles and he lunged at him in rage. Again Giles grabbed him. Giles seemed to read his mind as he looked down at his hate filled face.

"Actually, Alexander," Ripper said. "It's my fault. I did this, all of it. And some things are your fault and yours alone. You can get out until I can stand to be in your presence again and the next time you try to hurt one of those under my protection, you wont like happens to you. Now, go!"

He shoved Xander out the door and then turned to look at where Ethan was standing frozen on the steps.

"It was my fault," Giles said aloud as he moved and caught Ethan who looked about to shatter. "It was my fault."

"What was?" Joe asked.

"Everything," Giles answered. "I caused it."

And he caught Ethan and lowered him to the floor as the nightmares Ethan had lived with at night slammed through them both and Ethan began to scream and sob against Giles' shoulder.

"I'm sorry, luv," Giles repeated over and over as he, too, became lost in the memories. The memories of the place he had found Ethan in and he remembered vomiting when he saw what was done to his friend to pay for his screw-ups.

"Ethan,' he whispered as he held the man in his arms. "Ethan…."

Warehouse location, London, England

Rupert Giles had thought the letters were the worst things that he could have seen as his imagination was more than graphic enough to come up with scenarios of how Ethan paid for them. And paid and paid and paid. But nothing and here he emphasized the thought Nothing could have prepared him for what he was seeing. It was worse than even his imagination after 2 years on a Hellmouth.

"Dear God," Giles whispered. "Have mercy."

And then he knew that he was the mercy. He moved then, to grant his friend mercy and freedom from this. He reacted grabbing the thankfully this time human man off of Ethan and he lived up to his name of Ripper. It had nothing to do with the knife he'd always carried. No, Ripper came from the fact that he could and on occasion had ripped people apart with his bare hands.

Witness the bloody mess on the floor in front of him. It had at one time been a man but now it wasn't.

Giles moved then to Ethan's side and looked down at the bound and gagged man.

"Ethan," he whispered. There was a visible cringe as the man fought away against his restraints.

Ripper could see him trying to speak through the gag and he knew he was begging for this to not happen again. Ripper sighed and did the only thing he could think to do to calm Ethan: He opened their bond and flooded his love along it. Ethan arched visibly shocked by the pulse of magic and love and Ripper used that opportunity to pull the ball gag out of his mouth.

He felt the scream building before Ethan even drew the breath for it and he responded, dropping his mouth over Ethan's and sharing the scream with him. Taking the pain and the hurt and the blood and the fear and absorbing it into himself so Ethan knew he was not alone.

"Ripper," Ethan sobbed finally. "Ripper, please, don't leave me here again."

"I wont," Ripper had promised and he had lifted Ethan off the table and carried him out of the house of horrors. In his car, he had gently and carefully dressed Ethan in the clothes he'd brought for him and then he'd driven them away. Once in the air aboard a plane taking them back to the states, Giles had called the council and told them he quit, effectively immediately. Upon landing he'd been met by Joe Dawson who had given him a file of things to research for the immortal branch. Still a watcher but not in the Slayer division any longer. And if he were honest with himself since it let Ethan be free, there was no other place for him. And, Ethan could help him when he was well.

He'd then looked at the shaking man, caught in a nightmare, and swallowed hard.

If he got well. But Ripper was determined that he would and there had been very little in Ripper's life that his determination could not over come.

"You'll be fine, Eth," he'd whispered the old endearment. "I'll make you better, I promise…"

*

So I did," Giles said coming back to the present and holding the shaking Ethan against his chest. He was aware of talking as the memories assailed him and he was quite touched when Wesley and Adam moved to his side and gently touched Ethan as well. Ethan tensed briefly but then relaxed as he realized he was in no danger. He was safe. As safe as houses here, protected by those who cared about him.

"New friends, luv," Ripper said. "We wont let you be hurt anymore."

"Promise?" Ethan asked softly. He sounded so young and insecure and Joe Dawson nodded laying his hand on Ethan's shoulder.

"Swear it all, son," Joe said as he looked down at the broken man in Giles' arms. "We all swear and we don't break promises."

Ethan looked at them all and received nods in the affirmative so he relaxed against Giles. Finally, at long last, feeling safe.

For now at any rate. On the hell mouth one never knew how long safe would last. Or normal. As witnessed by the appearance of Adam Pierson and the abrupt changes in Wesley Wyndham-Pryce. It just went to prove that on the Hellmouth, nothing was as it seemed. Nothing.

END PART 2