Title: War and Wisdom

Author: Kate R.

abelard950@aol.com

Fandom: Buffy/Hercules

Rating: PG-13 to R

Pairings: Giles/Ethan, Angel/Wes, Xander/Spike, Ares/Joxer, Cupid/Strife

Summary: Ares needs a rest so his son is called to stand in for him. His son who does not know he is his son.

Notes: Thanks to Mac with the help on Liam, Angel and Angelus and for the use of Lust.

Disclaimer: Own nothing and no one used herein.

 

War and Wisdom
by Kate R


Prologue: Decisions, Decisions

"How is he, Hades?" Zeus asked his brother as the God of the Dead came out of the room.

"He's resting but the strain of War going without control is hurting him. We have no choice, Zeus; we Have to get the boy. We both know only a Child born of War can take War and Cupid cannot do it. He is Love. To take War would destroy him."

"So you would have me summon the child of War who does not know he is the child of War?"

"Is there anyone else? Really truly is there any other option? Athena cannot do it. She tried when he got sick. Strife cannot do and nor can Eris."

Zeus sighed and nodded and they went into the main council room where there was one chair not occupied. Ares' Chair was empty because Ares had fallen ill.

"There is a solution to our current trouble," Zeus said.

Athena looked at him and he nodded at her. Only the senior Gods knew about the child Ares and Athena had together in case this ever happened.

A child of wisdom and War. A child who could be either should either parent need him to take their place. And now, it had happened. One of his parents had been overwhelmed and he was needed.

"You're calling the child?" Hermes asked shocked. Zeus nodded.

"You can't be serious, Zeus," Demeter exclaimed. 'Calling that Child who has no formal training in our ways could cause---it could cause---."

"Change," Zeus said. "Change we need if we are to survive. We need new ideas and thoughts and we need someone who can handle War and no one else can."

"A vote," Hades said. "All those in favor of summoning home the Child of War and Wisdom say I."

The vote was 13-1 in favor of summoning him. Demeter was the lone exception but she knew she had lost this round.

"Fine! Let him destroy our ways!" She yelled then sat sullenly glaring. The other 13 Gods and Goddesses all raised symbols of godhead with Persephone taking her mother's staff and pointing it with the others and they all focused on one thing. The Child of War and Wisdom: Rupert Giles.

Light filled the room and when it cleared, there was a large group of people at a table before them. The man at the head of the table looked up at them all sensing something was different and sighed taking them all in.

"May I help you?" he asked in a tone that spoke of irritation, exasperation, and some amusement.

"Rupert Giles?" Zeus asked.

"Yes, that's me," he said.

"Catch," Aphrodite said tossing the Sword of War at him. He brought his hand up and caught it.

"Oh, dear," he said just before he was blown backwards by the Knowledge and Power of War filling him.

Chapter 1: He's Who?!?!

"GILES!" He heard vaguely as his brain processed everything it had just been crammed with.
His head cleared and he saw something that he knew would lead to badness.

"Buffy, FREEZE!" He bellowed. The blond Slayer froze and looked at him as he slowly got to his feet.

"A simple 'Please could you hold this and take your father's place until he's well' would have worked just as well as throwing the sword to me," Giles told the blond woman who had thrown the sword.

"Seriously?" She asked. Giles sighed and shrugged but nodded.

"Well, explaining why me would have made it even smoother but yes, a simple please would have sufficed."

"Giles, what is going on?" Buffy asked. He sighed and rubbed his temples for a moment before he faced her.

"Apparently my Blood line is Ares and Athena," he said. "Ares is sick, ergo I have to take his place until he's well. Meaning I can't leave here. Now, please give me a few moments to adjust to this new feeling inside of me and then I will get started. Of course, Zeus, I'd like to request the presence of one other person: Ethan Rayne. I know Buffy, you do not like him however, I need him here. I cannot exist without him so I need him here."

"Done," Zeus said. And Ethan was just there looking confused.

"Uh---Ripper?" he asked. Giles shook his head.

"Explain later, luv," he told the sorcerer. "Now, to you all, what needs to be done when, where and what is the most important?"

"My crops," Demeter began. Giles looked at her, reached with his new awareness and shook his head.

"Clean that mess up yourself. You have got to learn to let a field rest once in a while. Now, Hades? The Plague in that village, I can send a slash and burn group through it, take down the village and burn the ground down so it is purified. Workable?"

"Very," the God of the Dead said. Giles was so like Ares only he had Athena's wisdom and ability to think things through completely. Not that Ares did not but he had so much pressure and the inability to say no because of how he had been raised.

"Good," Giles began. "New Rules: Rule Number 1: I am not Ares. You treat me the way you do my father and you'll eat your goddamn teeth. Get me? Yes, Demeter, that means you too. Rule 2: You have a problem; you do NOT badger my father with it right now. Bring it to me and I will deal with it. Rules 3: Don't fuck with me or you will regret it. Clear?"

"As Crystal," Zeus said. It was rare that someone flat out told Demeter to fix her won messes and to hear a relatively new God say it like that was impressive.

"You Dare to speak to me like that?" she huffed.

Giles raised an eyebrow.

"You act like a child, I treat you like one. Plain and Simple. Children get told to clean up their own messes so that's what I'm telling you. Also, You don't knock this shit out with your daughter and the man she loves and I'll knock your damn head off. She is an adult. She has the right to her own life and choices. As a matter off act, she acts more mature than you do. Grow the hell up Demeter. The World does not revolve around you!"

Giles turned his back on her then and walked around the hall. He shook his head as he scanned the earth and Greece.

"I wont let him do this, Zeus," Giles said. "Wars will take pace when they need to and where they need to. I will not stop them for Hercules. I wont make people starve to death because he doesn't understand the way the world works."

"Agreed," Zeus said. He had known for some time that someone needed to do something about his demigod son but no one on Olympus now would he take seriously.

"He'll learn," Giles said. "Same as those other idiot "Heroes" will learn. I am not Ares. And I fight Dirty."

He and his group walked to the temple of war except for a lone young man who remained seated at the library table. He did not move to follow the group and a brief scan of his mind by Hades told him why.

The young man, Wesley, was not an accepted member of the group.

Therefore he did not join them anywhere. His thoughts clearly showed he was lost as to what he was to do with himself but he figured someone would send him someplace eventually.

"Wesley," Persephone said. "Come with us. Hades and I have room for you to stay with us if you like."

"It isn't Giles," Wesley said quietly. He did not want them to be angry with him and the gods apparently already knew.

"It's okay," Persephone said as she led him to the temple she and Hades used while they were here. "They just don't understand. It'll be okay though because you'll have time to learn here. I promise."

He nodded and walked slowly and slightly dejectedly inside and to a chair and sat. He was tired but until he was offered a bed he would not impose. Persephone took him to a room and told him to get some rest. Then, she went to see how it was going getting Giles settled in. Something told her things were about to get very interesting here on the mountain.


Chapter 2: Settling In

Giles glanced back to make sure everyone was with him and realized Wesley was not. He closed his eyes for a moment and searched for him, finding him in a temple with Persephone and he sighed. Something would have to be done about how the children treated that boy.

"Alright," he said. "First I need to see my father and then I need to get to work so I'm going to ask Strife to show you all to rooms. And I suppose I need to change?"

"Unc'll help you with clothes," Strife said. "He's this way. You guys can pick any rooms you want on that hall. You likely share with Giles right?" he asked Ethan who nodded. "Fine, you two got the second Master bedroom. That's at the end of that hall. Double doors. No one else gets that
room."

Buffy froze and pouted but Strife glared and was scary about it so she picked another room. Strife took Giles to a huge set of doors and opened hem so they entered where Ares was lying in bed looking like Tartarus.

"He's here, Unc," Strife said as he left the room so they could talk.

"Hello, father," Giles said to Ares as he approached the bed.

"I'm not exactly dressed to War God standards yet but I'm here and I'm taking care of things."

"Hello, Giles," Ares said. "Welcome home. Sorry it had to be under these circumstances but thank you for coming."

"I'm here a you need me to be here But I think I need something---less of the tweed as the children say. I need to look...."

"Like you aren't a librarian," Ares finished wit a slight chuckle. You are the perfect blend of your mother and I. But, yes, you do need other than tweed clothes. Come here and let me read you. See what will suit you and what will not."

Giles allowed Ares to touch his hand and he felt a rush of power go over him. He looked down and chuckled as he was then dressed in form fitting leather pants and knee high black boots but was not wearing a shirt of any kind. There was a scabbard at his side that he knew was for the sword of War, he had wristlets on that he knew he could hide daggers in and he chuckled as an ornate belt appeared on his hips. The scabbard fit that more than just hanging on his hip.

"Much better," Ares said. "You now have power over all three of my houses: War, Aggression and mortals. I trust you and if you see something that needs to be fixed then fix it. I'll back any play of yours. That belt signifies I approve you for this post. Now, go be God of War. I need to rest now so..."

"I'll take care of everything," Giles said as he hugged Ares and then walked out of the room and into the main living area where his group had reconvened after choosing their room and he watched with a slight smile as they all took in his appearance. He was aware of all eyes on his ass as he moved in the form fitting leather walking around the temple and looking at everything. He was definitely getting some books to read.

"Xander," he heard Angel whisper. "You're drooling."

"Woah, Giles," Xander said. "Sexy."

"Xander," Angel hissed. "Thinking out loud is called talking."

"As if you weren't staring?" Xander asked.

"Not at his ass. At his chest yeah, but not his ass. And would you look at Buffy and Willow?"

"Why?" Xander asked. Then he realized what he was seeing "Someone get them drool catchers. Hey, even Cordy and Faith are gawking."

"Faith looked in Sunnydale," Angel reminded him. "But Cordelia isn't staring, she's gawking."

"Gee, Giles why couldn't you dress like that in Sunnydale?"

Cordelia asked. Giles chuckled.

"I rather liked my job," he said. "Uhm, who are you?"

"But people would have actually come to the library," Cordelia said as Giles looked at the red eyed, black winged Goddess who had appeared before him."

"My name is Lust," she said. "Strife is my brother. Who are...you're Giles. You're Unc's baby boy he had with aunt The. Guess they finally realized they needed someone to help up here."

"Suppose so," Giles said. "What brings you here? I feel you as more in Aphrodite's House than any of the three I now run for the duration of Ares' sickness."

"I'm also blood lust," she said. "And wow, I see why that one was chosen for my service. What's your name?"

Angel felt as if he wanted to blush but couldn't as he saw what part of his body she was staring at but he answered her.

"Angel, Dark mother," he said. "Uhm, no, you don't want to touch me with your power I have a...

"What the Fuck happened to you?!" the Goddess yelled.

"Soul," Angel finished. "Cursed because I kind of ate the wrong person."

"Fuck!" The goddess snarled. She raised her hand and Angel panicked

"No, please don't take him away! We get...tetchy if we're separated."

"He gets tetched in the head you mean," Xander muttered.

Angel sighed.

"How may time do I have to explain that?" the vampire asked. "He wanted to save my ass from hell. He didn't plan to leave the doorway open too long and he wouldn't have had to go the Acathala Route if you had given him a chance instead of believing everything the lying gypsy told you. Er, sorry, Giles, no offence."

"None taken," Giles said at the same time Buffy let out a piercing shriek: "MOM! Stop staring at my watcher's ass!"

"Like I never have before?" Joyce asked and Xander saw Giles suppressing laughter. He knew what effect he was having on them.

"Let me fix this," Lust said. "I promise you wont lose each other. Any of you."

"Any of us?" Angel asked a second before he felt a tearing sensation and he looked to either side. One side was the long haired version of himself he knew as Angelus and on the other... On his other side was the human he had been named Liam. Who was looking terrified at the moment.

"W-who are you?" he asked and Angel realized Liam was sober and had no idea who anyone but himself and Angelus were. Liam was moving backwards and Angel and Angelus moved so he was effectively shielded behind them. As they had when in one body, they protected him. Liam had been a gentle little boy before his father got him and then he had given everything to protect his sister. Why wouldn't they shield him now?

"It's safe, Liam," Angel whispered as the human gripped his hand tightly. Angelus turned and wrapped the human in his arms offering him shelter as he had for years. Liam seemed to be holding on tightly as if afraid if he let go either of his brothers would be gone.

"Who did it?" Strife asked quietly as he read what Angel and Angelus were thinking as their "Little Brother" held on to them. Angel turned and looked at him and opened his mind so Strife could read everything if he so chose. Unfortunately for the dead shade of Liam's father, Lust read it too.

"What's going on?" Buffy demanded.

"Nothing of concern t' ye," Angelus bit back. "It's personal to the three o' us."

"Never children," Lust whispered angrily. "Never Children!"

"Am I in trouble?" Liam asked Angel.

"No, sweetie," Lust said gently. "You aren't but that shit-can of a father of yours is."

"Oh?" Liam O'Rourke asked as he stared around at all the people.

None of them looked like they were going to hit him and he was fairly certain he was safe enough here with his brothers to protect him and he looked out the window and saw the sun but froze, not wanting to leave them.

"Vampires don't burn here," Lust told them. "Go on outside and have fun."

The three nodded and left and Lust looked at Strife.

"I'm going to talk to Uncle Hades about his father and his little sister," she said. "He should have something he knows besides those two."

Strife nodded and Giles growled something about someone trying to start a war and not being able to control.

"Sounds like Ma," he said as Lust flashed out.

"DISCORD!" Gils shouted. She appeared looking angry until she saw him and the belt and the sword.

"You do not control War," Giles spat at her. Trying to only causes trouble!"

"I'm Ares' twin sister," she said. "It should fall to me now."

"SIT!" Giles roared. She did and he heard Buffy chuckle.

"Until my Father gets well, I am the God of War. You will do as I say or you will lose your place in this house. Do. I. Make. Myself. Clear?"

"Yes," Eris said. Giles nodded as he leaned against Ethan who had moved to join him. He really hated having to do this but he had to make sure no one crossed him.

"That voice works on teenagers and stubborn Slayers," Giles said.

"I see no reason it wont work on thickheaded aunts, troublemaking cousins or irritating siblings. Now, we have work to do and I need to see what you all are doing so I can see what you should be doing and what should be given to someone else."

"You have people in mind?" Discord asked. "Because none of the others will help this house."

"No that anything they can do in this instance," Giles said.

"But have you ever asked? They called me when my father got sick and they have been polite. Now, the answer is yes, I have ideas. Angelus? We'll need to know where Spike is. I think I know something he can do and get a good fight in at the same time."

"I'll let you know," Angelus said from outside as he and Angel continued to play tag with Liam who was staring at all the colors on Olympus while they ran around. Giles chuckled thinking he'd ask Apollo for pencils in those colors. Then he got back to the task at hand: What needed to be done now and what could wait.

Oh, Joy.

 

Chapter 3: Reassigning Chaos and Adoptions

Gritting his teeth and the burning started. Strife was trying to do what he had been told to do since Janus had thrown off Chaos and worked solely with gateways but it hurt. Chaos was not Mischief, nor was it Discord and every time he and his ma had to do it burned like molten fire through them and Strife whimpered when he realized he was losing control of it and it scared him to think what would happen this time.

"Let it go!" A voice shouted. Strife's eyes snapped open and he stared as the guy with Giles was standing there and pulling the Chaos from his grasp.

"Let it go, Strife. I have it. I can control this. Let it go."

Strife screamed in pain as the Chaos surged out of him and he stared as Ethan Rayne, the man's name was, seemed to throttle the Chaos back down to where it should have been and turned half of it back to mischief and returned it to Strife. Strife was staring as Ethan began to glow while he did it.

His eyes, the iris, caught a red ring and a blue ring around the black and Strife stared as he realized who that was.

"You should not be doing this," Ethan said as he finally got it where it needed to be. "I'm going to have to talk to Ripper but Mischief and Chaos are not the same thing by Any stretch of the imagination. Neither you nor your mother should be even trying to control this."

"Okay," Strife said as he took the human's hand and transported them back to Olympus where Giles and Lust were waiting. Ethan kind of stared as the woman pulled him into a hug and he felt weird.

"Ripper?" he asked.

"You never said you were related to a God," Giles said.

"I am?" Ethan asked confused as Lust continued to hold him.

"Yes," Giles said. And you just gave me an idea of what to do about the troubles up here in these three houses. Ethan, I want you to take Chaos. Xander will take tactic and instigation. That should give Strife a break."

"Okay," Ethan said. Strife gave Giles the most grateful look.

"What about barroom brawls?" Strife asked. He started those and they turned to riots and that wasn't good either.

"For that we need Spike," Giles said. "Angelus is getting him for us now. Another thing I want to talk to you all about: Knock off what you call Wesley. Words hurt, Children."

"Where is he anyway?" Buffy asked in her grating, whining voice.

"In Asphodel," Giles bit out. "He was adopted by the entire underworld and the God of the Forge. They have taken him in and made him feel welcome."

"Really?" Xander asked. "Neat."

"Good afternoon, Liam," Giles said to the young mortal. Liam looked about 24 but his mind was a tad younger. Actually he was mind was nearly 10 years younger. That was, Asclepius had said, so he could have a chance to be a normal person and to learn to laugh and play like humans should know.

"Uh, Angel and Angelus said to tell you Spike is here and has agreed to work with you," Liam told Giles. And I wanted tot hank you for the new color sticks."

"Thank Apollo," Giles said to the boy. "He made them for you. Now, what else can I do for you?"

"Well," Liam began nervously. "Apollo wants to teach me art and to play music but to do that I kind of have to...not work here and I...Well, I don't want to disappoint you but..."

"Is that what you want Liam?" Giles asked. The boy nodded softly so Giles chuckled and lifted his chin so he met the librarian-cum-War God's gaze.

"If that is what you want, Liam," Giles said gently. "Then do it. I knew not everyone I brought with me would work in War. I know what you want and I know it has nothing to do with War. That does not make you a bad person. The world needs artists and scholars as much as soldiers and Warlords. Go ahead and tell Apollo you'll be at the lessons as soon as he wants to start them."

Liam grinned and ran out looking more like an overly tall 15-year-old boy than a 24-year-old man. Giles chuckled as he used a scrying mirror to check on Wesley and see how he was doing and he grinned seeing Wesley laughing and looking relaxed.

"Much better," he thought. "Much, much better."

He cursed a moment later as he sensed something amiss in one of his father's temples.

"Time to go meet the rest of the family," he said to himself as he flashed out. Strife grinned evilly and ran to tell everyone the confrontation they had all been waiting for was here: Hercules Verses Giles: Ding, Round 1

 

Chapter 4: The Smack Down

"A War in Corinth," Hercules was fuming as he made his way to his brother Ares' temple. "We'll just see about that!"

"Herc, wait up!" Iolaus yelled. "Calm down! You know you don't want to piss your brother off!"

"I told them no War! I told them repeatedly War does not belong in the world! Why they don't just kill Ares and be done with it I will never know!"

Hercules stormed into the temple of War and the others followed.

Joxer was shaking his head. He knew what was about to happen. He'd met Giles last week when he checked on Ares. Oh, Herc was about to get his ass handed to him.

"Joxer," Xena said pulling him to stand with her and Iolaus as Hercules and Gabrielle went about destroying the temple. "What do you know?"

"I know we need to stand back," Joxer said quietly. "And get ready for a show."

"Oh?" Xena asked as light began to fill the temple. "Why? Does this have to do with the fact that I know my father is not running things right now?"

"Yeah," Joxer whispered. "Your brother is. Not Cupid. Another brother. One that was made for just such an occasion as your father getting sick. Uhm, you're about to see him. I should warn you, he doesn't play by the World According to Hercules."

"Oh?" Xena asked just as the form coalesced and Hercules was hurled as if he weighed nothing out of the temple. Gabrielle grabbed a statue to throw and she was unceremoniously tossed out as well.

"How DARE you?!?!" A voice bellowed in anger. Everyone stared at the man who stood facing Hercules who was picking himself up off the ground.

"I don't know who in hell you Think you are," he growled and Joxer was smirking, "But you do NOT have the right to come in here and destroy things just because the world isn't going the way you want it to!"

"Who are you?" Hercules asked as he pulled himself to his feet. "You aren't Ares."

"Quite correct," the god said as he fire balled Hercules into the wall. "I am Giles, son of War and Wisdom. And you little Demigod, do Not impress me."

"Father won't stand for this!" Hercules yelled.

"Who the hell do you think called me here you little bastard?" Giles asked. He gestured with his hand and Gabrielle soon found herself kissing dirt as she had tried to sneak up on him. "I am tired of how you bitch and complain and behave like a spoiled little bastard because your family has to do things you don't like to save and protect the world. I am sick and tired of how everyone has to kiss your ass! And to be honest, so are they. Your father included."

Hercules was picked up by his hair and thrown as if he weighed nothing across the square. Giles went after him, grabbed Hercules, and kicked him hard. The force of the kick broke ribs and hurled Hercules through the wall and up 6 levels. Giles moved after him and the other heroes followed the War God to where Hercules had landed: in the middle of the Corinthian King's Audience room.

"Sorry," Giles said to the king. "I didn't realize what that wall was. I just wanted to make a point."

"What point?" Iphicles asked with interest as his annoying brother got to his feet and stared at Giles with hatred.

"The point that the World does not revolve around him. And neither do the Gods any longer. Try it boy and we'll see how well you can land going down 6 stories."

"Who are you?" Hercules demanded again as he faced Giles.

"I'm fairly sure I answered that once but for those extremely slow on the uptake I am Giles, son of Ares and Athena, Lord of War and Wisdom and Temporarily God of War. I am getting things back on track while my father rests after having to clean up his Fuck ups and I am not amused at all by his whining. If he does not shut the hell up and get the hell out of my face in the next ten seconds I will teach him to fly without wings!"

"You can't!" Hercules yelled. "I have protection!"

"Only against killing your pansy arse," Giles retorted. "Nothing says I can't seriously hurt you."

"We'll see," Hercules said. "FATHER!"

He stared as he was ignored.

"Oh, grow up," Giles retorted angrily. "Your father is not at your beck and call and he is not your damn slave. It's about time someone told you no and meant it and I think I am just the one to do it."

Hercules got his arse kicked hard during the fight. Actually it wasn't a fight. It was more of a one-sided punch fest as Giles beat the living hell out of Hercules. By the time he finished, Hercules was bleeding on the floor of the audience chamber and everyone in the room was applauding bar one Blond Bard.

"Get him the hell out of my sight," Giles growled. "I have things to do and a World to get back on an even keel. New Rules people, from now on Wars will take place where and when they need to. Is that clear?"

The Soldiers cheered and Giles sighed as he went back to Olympus in a flash of light. He appeared in the Great hall where the Gods were all roaring with laughter and his arm was grabbed by Xander and lifted.

"The Winner and till Champion!" the boy cried.

That relieved a round of applause from all of the Gods and Giles blushed slightly and bowed just going with it.

"I doubt that will be the end of it," he told Zeus. "But it's a start to what needs to be done. Sorry about the beating like that but I lost my temper."

"No worries," the king of the Gods said. "He's had that coming for a long time. Thank you for doing it."

"You're welcome," Giles said as he turned and left the room to go and speak to his father with Xander tailing after him. "You're welcome indeed."

 

Chapter 5: Librarian Voice

Daily Meeting, Xander thought as he took his seat. A lesson in annoyance.

He sat in his seat and watched. Giles had made it clear to the Council that those who worked with him would be at meetings or he would not be there so the Gods had agreed. They had really had no choice, as they needed War at the meetings. Giles had said he would not exclude his House because certain deities hated the darker houses.

Of course now that there was a God of War who shot insults back, they had switched to a new target. The only other Dark God at the table: Hades.

And Giles was getting tired of it.

"Guys," Xander said about halfway through the meeting when Hades started rubbing his temples as if his head was hurting. "Does Giles look like he's getting ready to blow?"

"Yeah," Buffy aid quietly. "He looks like he's about to start screaming. This isn't good. Everybody grab a god we like cause I know it isn't them he's about to explode at."

The Scoobies began to disappear under the tale and Joyce Summers watched. She had heard of what Giles was about to do. She could tell he was about to do it by the way he was inhaling. She sat back and waited for the show to begin.

Under the table, Strife and Lust were looking at everyone as Cupid joined them followed a moment later by Bliss. If they could have gotten away with it, Hades would have been there too. As it was he was really starting to hurt if the way he was rubbing his temples was any indication.

"What's up?" Strife asked. "Why'd we get down here?"

"Giles is gonna blow," Buffy said.

"This is bad?" Strife asked.

"Very," Willow said.

"How bad can it...." Strife began to be cut off a moment later by a loud bellow of: "SILENCE!"

"Woah," Strife whispered. "That shout just likely was heard around the mountain."

"We call that Librarian Voice," Xander said.

"Rumor has it the Master hid under his throne when Giles yelled like that once," Angel said.

"Wasn't a rumor, Angel," Angelus told his brother. "Darla was hiding right there with him. Giles bellowed like that and any demon in range of the library including those right under it, all ran for the hills or hid."

"Seriously?" Strife asked.

"Deadly," Dawn answered. "Wonder what lecture he's giving them?"

"I'm not your sodding babysitter!" Giles yelled. "I didn't come here for that purpose. I came here to be the itinerate God of War, not to run a Bloody, Buggering Day Care for over egotized idiots who don't know just how much they need the darker gods to keep the World on an even Bloody keel! One more comment about him, Artemis and your head will he bounced off the Sodding marble. Willow, Aspirin!"

A small hand handed up two aspirin which Giles slipped into Hades' hand along with a glass of water and told him to swallow them.

"Take him home and put him to bed, Persephone," Giles said. "He needs his rest."

"Sure, Giles," the Queen of Asphodel said. She took her husband's arm and got him to his feet gently. Giles looked at the rest of the table.

"The next one of you who even thinks of uttering an insult about him will have me responding in kind. Go do your jobs. I have mine to get done!"

"Is it safe to come out now?" Xander asked softly.

Giles chuckled and nodded and watched as his group emerged from the table.

"Lets got home," Giles said. "We have Wars to run."

 

 END CHAPTER 5

abelard950@aol.com