Title: Undiscovered Country

Series: What Dreams May Come 6

Author: Xandria

Email: me_toni@hotmail.com

Fandom: BTVS Highlander and Star Trek

Summary: An alternate ending after Lover's Walk.

Archive: Go for it, just let me know where.

Rating: MA Swearing!

Feedback: Does the Colonel serve chicken? Does Maccas serve beef? No wait...

Spoilers: Up to Lovers Walk

Note: I am not sure in the timeline when the Maquis first started up, but in my story they have been around for approximately two years in this story.

Note: This is where it begins to get relevant to the series title.

Angst and self-examination begin.

Disclaimer: They ain't mine, they were never mine, but the plot is mine and if you try to rip it off I will send my attack squad of rabid teletubbies (who I also don't own), and my flock of Outer Mongolian Vampire Skunks (who I do own) after you!

Thanks to Lady X for betaing.

 

WHAT DREAMS MAY COME: UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY

by Xandria

 

Delta Quadrant

Sandrines

Soon after we joined the crew on Voyager, Captain Janeway and Chakotay decided a social get together would be best so we would "integrate more efficiently." I don't care, I'm glad of the excuse for a bit of a party. Still, I wish I wasn't on alpha shift, I could really let go then. No hangovers if you're immortal but I get tired.

So I'm hovering in the corner of this place called Sandrines, a bar in Marseilles. Not the real one, a holo version. It's got potential. There's a pool table.

Pool is good. Pool gives you extra rations or whatever. You lose enough so they'll play you again, win enough so you have a little extra on the side. It all works out. One of my teachers taught me that. And that you can enjoy a drink without hitting someone afterwards.

Then I felt it again. The buzz of another immortal. In the two weeks we had been on board I hadn't been able to see who it was. Only that it was a young one. I hope whoever it is doesn't want to fight cause I really don't want to see what could happen to Voyager when the winner takes his Quickening. So who was it anyway.

Aha! Over there in that corner, that blonde lieutenant over there, next to that ensign, Kent? Cairns? No, it's Kim! But who is the immortal? I nudged Ayala and pointed.

"Who's the blonde?"

"You don't recognise him? No wait, you were in that Cardassian Prison when he was on board. That, my young friend, is Paris. I stared. Swell.

"That's the big traitor?"

"Yeah."

"Gregor?"

"Yeah?"

"Where's his horns? And tail! There is supposed to be a trident too!" Gregor laughed out loud. Chakotay grinned and came on over.

"Care to share the joke?" I looked at him with wide eyes.

"What joke? I just asked Gregor where his horns were." Chakotay stared at me a moment and I thought I had gone too far this time. Then he laughed too, causing quite a few looks of surprise from the Starfleet members of this crew. What, they think he doesn't have a sense of humour?

I turned around to look in that direction to find Paris staring at the Commander too. Then he looked at me and smirked. It was the type that made you want to punch him, but his eyes! I knew that look well. So it was a mask. Fair enough. We all have them.

"Game of pool?" I offered.

"Not tonight Alex, another time." Chakotay smiled and walked over to the captain. Gregor agreed though and we had a good game. I beat him and grinned. Life was good.

"Not bad. Think you can play me?" I turned to see Paris right there, smirking at me. Great.

"Doesn't take much to beat ol' Gregor here."

"Yeah. We've played. Want to try me?" He grinned at me then held his head. Yeah, it's him all right.

"What's the matter?" Kim asked.

"Just this weird headache. I've had it off and on since we arrived in the delta quadrant. Never had one like it before" Damn. That means he doesn't know. I'll have to train him. I've never gone near any of the young ones before. Spike would have either made new children or had me take them for the Quickening. You know, I really like it quiet but I guess its just not gonna happen.

"What is your problem?!" Paris asked and I realised I had been staring at him all this time.

"Sorry. Thinking." I muttered. Paris smirked suddenly. Again.

"Are you sure you should strain yourself?"

"Positive. If I practise every day one day it will come naturally." And I smirked back. His eyes widened then he genuinely smiled. That is one good-looking boy.

"Don't mind Tom, he's not really house trained. You're Alex Rosenburg aren't you? I'm Harry Kim and this is Tom Paris."

"I know."

"What do you know?"

"Enough that I don't know the whole story. But I must admit I expected you to have horns at least." Paris blinked and laughed.

"Alex!" I jumped and turned to stare at my captain, no first officer.

"Chakotay?" I said innocently. He glared at me but I smiled back. You've saved my life and my sanity more than once my friend, but you're not going to decide who my other friends will be. He turned and walked away.

"You're on first name terms with him?!"

"We've known each other a few years now and a lot has happened. I decide who I talk to, though, not him! Are we playing pool or not?" I demanded. Paris blinked then smiled again.

"Rack 'em up." Okay. Let's take this easy. Let him get to know me before I share a few facts with him.

Gym

"Rosenburg to Chakotay"

"Chakotay here."

"You still on for tonight?"

"Yeah. Give me twenty minutes." We had a habit of working out together. It was good. Chakotay was the only one nearly strong enough apart from Tuvok. And on Crazy Horse I was one of the few strong enough to spot him. It's safer to spot weights if you can actually move them if necessary.

Later, I ran while Chakotay rowed. I like running, always have. And swimming too. It's a way of getting away from yourself.

"He'll turn on you when you least expect it." I sighed. Here we go.

"Uh Huh."

"He's a traitor"

"Uh Huh."

"You'll get hurt."

"Uh Huh."

"Are you paying attention?!"

"Maybe when you make a little more sense. Chakotay, I read the report. And my Starfleet contacts told me things from their side. Someone set him up. He probably thinks it was you."

"What?!"

"Come on. His first mission, you give him that ship I told you should be junked and then they're there waiting. What would you think?"

"Alex…"

"Just how much are you thinking about it anyway? Or are you still letting Seska lead you around by the short and curlies?"

"Alex!" He stopped and grabbed me glaring at me. I looked him in the eyes, steadily until he put me down.

"You know I'm a good judge of character, Chakotay. Now, I want to get to know him. It doesn't mean I'm gonna trust him. He'll have to earn it like anyone else would. But I'm gonna see for myself what he's like, not go by rumour."

I mopped my face with a towel and went over to the weight bench. I was pissed but not going to take it out on anyone. I went higher than I had before in front of a human. Chakotay stared as I easily started lifting them.

"Why are you so wise?" he said, half sarcastically. I smirked an imitation of Tom's grin at him. He closed his eyes and groaned.

"I'm not. I've seen a lot, though. You know I'm as paranoid as the next guy. But why stress?" I stopped pumping and switched with Chakotay. He tried my settings before staring at me and adjusting it to something he could actually move.

"How is it a skinny kid like you is so strong?"

"Its my race. Long lived and strong."

"What is your race Alex?"

"Well, I was born on earth. I don't know. My parents were adoptive, you know?"

"I remember."

"So that's it. But it's great a cover for spying. Who would believe someone who looks like me could be a spy. Someone betrayed me to the Cardassians you know." I'm not sure, but I'm beginning to wonder about Seska. Lon Suder gives off funny vibes too, so maybe it's him?

I'm probably just being paranoid. And I don't like her. She manipulates Chakotay and some of the other crew, and I know she's cheated on him. It's not my place to say though. Or is it? If you know someone is cheating on your friend do you tell them or just wait to pick up the pieces when it all comes out?

"Are you sure you didn't break your cover?"

"Look, I have never been found out before." Except for Spike, but he has a special advantage, the link between a Sire and Childe.

After another ten minutes we both got on bikes and started peddling.

"You know, I think I'd like this better with a bit of scenery."

"So create a program for the holodeck"

"Good idea. Wanna join me when its done?" He looked doubtful.

"Come on. All work and no play makes Chakotay a dull Indian." He laughed then and things were all right again.

Crewman's Quarters

"What are you, nuts?!" Paris demanded.

"Watch" I said to him calmly. I drew a knife over my hand and cut into the palm, letting the blood drip to the floor. He swore and grabbed a cloth to bandage it. I held him back and lifted it so he had a good view. Within a minute it was completely healed, no scar, only the blood left to indicate anything had happened.

Tom grabbed my hand and dug into it, examining it closely. Then I grabbed his and before he could move I stuck the knife into his palm. He yelled again. At this rate my neighbours were going to think we were doing something other than talking.

Then he swore and tried to grab me again, to hit me this time. I held him back and grinned while he stared at my strength. I held up his hand and waved it at him. Then let go. Boy does he have a real talent for swearing.

Finally he listened as I explained to him again about being an immortal. The rules of The Game, the training, the survival. The Game is not important to me, I don't care about the stupid Prize. I just want to live.

So I explained that to Tom as well. We will get back to the Alpha quadrant eventually. I want him to have a good chance of winning his first encounter when he does. Anyway, I like him. We have a lot in common.

Security

"Tuvok to Rosenburg."

"Rosenburg here."

"Report to my office at 1600 hours crewman."

"Yes sir." What have I done?! Nothing. But I have to go see him. Why? This reminds me of having to see Snyder at Sunnydale High. At least Tuvok's good looking. Don't go there. Oh man, I wish it was that time already.

"It has come to my attention that you trained the Maquis in unarmed combat. And acted as a spy for them."

"Yes sir. But not in the Federation, in Cardassian space." Did he think I had some secrets or something?"

"Yet you work in Engineering."

"Yes sir." I hope this is not going where it seems to be.

"You will be transferred from Engineering to Security. You will start tomorrow." It has.

"Permission to speak sir?"

"Yes."

"Please let me stay in Engineering." I need the quiet. Okay, it's not so quiet with a half Klingon yelling at you, but still.

"It is not logical for someone with you obvious talents to be in Engineering where you are merely adequate. From your records I see you have been most satisfactory in your espionage duties and would be better suited in Security." What the hell records are they Chakotay?!

"Please, if you need someone to train them in unarmed combat, I will do that. But don't transfer me from Engineering." Fixing things is how I got back to myself after Cardassia, I still need that.

"We have little choice, crewman. Report to Security tomorrow at 0600. Dismissed."

"Yes sir." I turned and left.

Can I handle this? It'll be my first time back. I hope I'm ready. I'm not scared of dying or anything. It's just that prison brought out the demon. I've had to work hard to keep it under some sort of control. I think I'm all right, but I'm not sure. Is it the vampire or a combination of the soldier and hyena as well? The soldier honed my fighting skill, the hyena reflexes and sneaking, the vampire strengths.

But this rage, the need for bloodshed, where has that come from? Can I keep it under control in a fight? It's weird, Spike's tried to bring this out but it's the Cardassians who seem to have succeeded.

The only way to know for sure I guess is to do it. I wish I had more time. But asking a Vulcan to give you a few months so you can be sure you wont kill anyone would probably end up with me seeing the Doctor regularly for medication. I don't think I'd like that because he really gets up my nose.

END UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY