Title: To Be

Series: What Dreams May Come 3

Author: Xandria

Email: me_toni@hotmail.com

Fandom: BTVS and Highlander and Star Trek

Summary: An alternate ending after Lover's Walk.

Archive: Go for it, just let me know where.

Rating: PG15+

Feedback: Does the Colonel serve chicken? Does Maccas serve beef? No wait…

Spoilers: Lovers Walk

Note: An alternate ending after Lover's Walk. So far Xander has been attacked by Spike and knocked unconscious again, so there were no illicit smoochies. Xander ends up in hospital and when he gets out Spike attacks him again. And he wakes up in a coffin. He manages to get out and Faith stakes him. When he doesn't dust she runs off in a panic to Giles and they grab Buffy on the way back to the cemetery. In the meantime Xander has woken up and pulled the stake out. He's worried he's a zombie and decides to sit there for the sun so if he is it will be taken care of.

Disclaimer: They ain't mine, they were never mine, but the plot is mine and if you try to rip it off I will send my attack squad of rabid teletubbies (who I also don't own), and my flock of Outer Mongolian Vampire Skunks (who I do own) after you!

Date: 20/08/99

 

WHAT DREAMS MAY COME 3: TO BE

By Xandria

 

Adam

I arrived in Sunnydale on the trail of one of my journals. An old friend of mine, Rupert Giles, a member of the other branch of Watchers, had found it and let me know. So here I was, looking forward to seeing him and not expecting the trouble he was going to involve me in. All I knew was that I was looking forward to seeing him and simply being Adam Pierson for a little while again.

When I finally found his place, I stopped not sure of going in as I detected another immortal. But then Rupert came out and I was trapped.

"Adam! I didn't expect you so soon. Perhaps it's just as well, I have a problem that is right up your alley."

"It's good to see you, too, Rupert. What type of problem?" Though I already knew. Obviously, this very new immortal was someone Rupert knew and wanted to help. And Adam Pierson, having been a Watcher from the Immortal's branch, was going to assist him.

"A boy I know, Xander, I think he is an immortal."

"You think?"

"This place is very strange, he could be anything from a demon to a new god instead. Sunnydale is a Hellmouth." He explained and I paled. No wonder the Slayer was here. Even when I had roamed the world as Death, I had never gone near a Hellmouth by choice.

"Rupert, he is an immortal."

"What?! How do you know unless…" he trailed off suddenly and looked at me. It had been ten years and I hadn't changed, of course. Rupert, in contrast, had a few wrinkles and weighed a little bit more. But it suited him.

"Ironic, really, isn't it? I've studied them for years and I end up being one myself. That's how I know. I almost didn't come in. I don't like fighting."

"Oh dear. Would you be willing to help him anyway?"

"Of course, Rupert. I don't like fighting, I said. I also don't like to see innocents unable to defend them selves. I know someone who would be willing to train this…Xander?"

"Short for Alexander."

"Ah. I knew another Alexander once. He used that for a nickname too."

I wonder how he'd react if he knew I meant Alexander the Great, an ancestor of Cleopatra. Now there was a woman.

"Adam?"

"Sorry, Rupert, guess I zoned out there. Reminded me all of a sudden of a girlfriend of mine." I smiled at him as we entered his apartment. Everywhere I looked it seemed a teen was sitting, standing or slouching. The one that caught my attention right away was a tall, handsome young man with brown hair who was clutching his head. Then he looked up into my eyes.

Where had I seen eyes like that before? I wondered as I stared at him. He turned then to look at Rupert and spoke.

"Giles, that buzzing in my head is getting worse."

"It's alright, Xander, it's because of Adam. This is Adam Pierson, a watcher and an immortal. At least now we know that is what you are."

"How do you mean?" I asked

"Xander is one of a group of young people that help the Slayer, and recently he was bitten by a vampire. In the hospital he showed some signs as if he was a vampire but was able to go out in to the sun. And the same vampire came back and attacked him again. Xander dug himself out of his grave this morning and has been hiding here ever since." While the Englishman spoke I studied the boy, considering him.

"Stand up" I said to him abruptly. He looked confused, but at a nod from Rupert he did so. I got him to turn around slowly and stared at him some more. The poor boy began to blush and a small blond girl spoke suddenly.

"What is this, Giles? You can't expect him to leave with this guy, he's giving him the eye!" I stared at her for a while.

"Giles there are things I have to tell Xander, but they have to leave."

"I'm not going anywhere until…"

"Buffy. They can be trusted, Adam. They've helped Buffy for the last couple of years and kept it a secret."

"I you say so. Xander here is an immortal and he will have to learn to fight as soon as possible. Which means I will have to start training him before reaching someone better able to do so. So I need to see how he is built and how he balances. "

"What do you mean, fight?" the boy said.

"When immortals meet, they challenge each other and fight to the death. The winner takes on the experiences and strengths of the loser."

"I thought he couldn't die." The blond girl spoke again, pointing at him.

"There is one way. Decapitation."

"Ewww. I so did not want to hear that!" A brunette in designer clothes exclaimed.

"How ?" Xander asked. I pulled my sword out and showed him.

"We fight with these, a blade of our choice. An immortal is never away from his sword."

"Have you ever had to fight?"

"Yes." I said sadly. Boy have I ever. I think the one I regret the most was Silas, though. I liked Silas.

"Will I have to as well?"

"You may not have a choice. Unless you live the rest of your long life on holy ground. No one can touch you there."

"Why?"

"I don't know. Look, I'm only in town for the day. Can you leave soon?"

"Yeah. My family already gave away my things when they thought I was dead. There is nothing to keep me here."

"But Xander…" the Brunette started to say.

"Look, Cord, you're better off without me anyway. Think about it, you can go back to being the Queen of Sunnydale High again without me to drag you down. I wont write, you need to get on with your life. Besides, you know what a bad writer I am." Everyone started to move forward and hug Xander before leaving Rupert's apartment until only the three of us were there. We looked at each other.

"Tea?" Rupert offered and I nodded. He went into the kitchen and the boy and I started to talk.

END
But wait there's more!