TITLE: The re-education of Xander Harris

AUTHOR: Willie J

EMAIL: wmj166@yahoo.com

FANDOM: Buffy the Vampire Slayer/Angel the Series
ARCHIVE SITE(S): http://parrot.nearheralways.com/index.php; http://www.brain-insane.com/beyondcanon and http://www.adultfanfiction.net

RATING: It will eventually reach NC-17

DISCLAIMER: I don't own any part of Buffy et all, nor Angel the Series.

FEEDBACK: Oh please send me feedback, privately or through the list

DISTRIBUTION: List Archives

SPOILERS: Everything up to just before Faith killed the Mayor's assistant

SUMMARY: Angel is determined that Xander understands the truth about demons

A/N #1: Those of Buffyverse are naturally Joss' creations, however, any and all other characters mentioned are my own.

A/N #2: This deviates greatly from Season 2. Wesley took Faith away to continue her training as a Slayer; the Mayor-becoming-a-giant-snake never happened; graduation went off without a hitch; Angel still in town and hasn't left for L.A.

BETA'D BY: Elaine (the Mighty)


The re-education of Xander Harris
by Willie J


Xander cast a surreptitious look of mingled disgust and fury towards a certain overgelled headed vampire; he gave a resentful sniff at Mr. I-Loved-'The English Patient' broody vampire. Deadboy apparently had only two expressions: Brood and Guilty-Brood. It made the girls get weak in the knees and all 'Poor Angel, come lay your brooding head in my lap while I stroke your fevered yet cool brow'.

Blech! It was enough to make a guy sick. He ignored the little voice that chimed softly 'Or as jealous as hell'. Because he wasn't jealous. Almost really he wasn't, he assured himself stoutly. Why should he be? After all, he was all aliveness, was his malicious thought. Anyway, Deadboy's 'supposed' woe-is-me? It was all just an act.

His mouth tightened in angry annoyance at the way Buffy was not-watching Deadboy. Despite her carefully disinterested expression, he could practically see the hearts and flowers in Buffy's eyes for the vampire's Anne Rice routine. No matter what he 'overheard' during the Buffster and Deadboy's little spat, he knew it was hurting her not to be close to Angel. Not to 'smother his pale, beautiful face in ravenous kisses as her heart beat furiously in her heaving bosom'.
Xander nastily mimicked one of the romance novels he had espied Joyce reading one day.

Buffy was still falling for that ol' Woe-is-Me look of Deadboy's, hook, line and sinker. Willingly twisting like a fish out of water on his fishing pole. Xander paused in his thoughts. Fishing pole? He gave himself a mental slap. For gods' sakes man, snap out of the hyperbole! His thoughts returned to the Buffy/Deadman situation. Why did she hafta to fixate on a dead person? It wasn't like there weren't plenty of available warm bodies around!

Not me of course, he assured himself hastily. Almost really, I've learned my lesson about office romance. Though it would've been nice just to be wanted, he thought wistfully.

Anyway, if Buffy wasn't careful, the afterness was gonna be screams and lots of drinkage. And not the good underage kinda drinkage. It was the bloody kind that led to loss of life and possibly limbs. The epitome of badness would be back.

While he was all for respecting the dead, however, a line needed to be drawn for those dead that were still running around. Especially when they liked to kill and torture people. Xander shivered; Psychoboy was definitely on his short list of people to avoid. Demony-Angel was so not who he would like to see. Except blowing in the wind, that is.

His teeth ground together; almost with an audible sound at the secretive look Buffy darted at the vampire. Spiteful satisfaction was in equal measure at the minuscule flinch Angel made at the grinding sound of his teeth.

"Yo, Deadboy." he threw out to the vampire. He didn't care that his voice was overly loud in the hushed atmosphere of the living room. All he wanted was for everybody to stop treating Broodboy like some kinda injured bird.demon, he hastily tacked on. If he had to be the bad guy, then so be it. He was strong, he could take it. At least that's what he told himself with false bravado.

Because, hey, demon bad, human good. Nobody could tell him different, he thought adamantly.

He gave a fulminating glare at the frown of displeasure on Buffy's face. It was something that she should remember. Who knew when Deadboy might get a happy and turn into Angelus, he thought with willful ignorance of the condition of Angel's curse.

Sighing, Angel looked up from the book he was studying to give the boy his full attention. He knew nothing less would satisfy Xander. The teen had an uncanny knack of knowing when he only had his partial attention. The barbs grew even more astringent.

Ever since he came back from Hell, Xander had been on a non-stop campaign to make sure no one forgot the unique reign of terror Angelus brought to Sunnydale. He was constantly surprised not to see billboards posted all over town.

"Yes, Xander.?" he inquired mildly. A look of polite interest was in his eyes and face. Which he knew annoyed the boy to no end. But it was either that or allow his anger to show. Which was not a good thing. Demon anger and rage was too intense for mere humans to witness. Besides it looked remarkably like Angelus' bad temper, he thought ruefully.

Although, he should show a bit more gratitude towards the boy, Angel reflected. It was Xander's view of him that kept him from forgetting exactly what he was.

Vampire.demon.

A monster.

When he had been cautiously admitted into their midst, for the first time in over eighty years he had felt something besides the guilt that drove him to find redemption. He felt a tenuous connection with these oddly assorted people. He grew careless and sloppy in an effort to hold on to the feeling. Instead of keeping his usual careful distance between him and the rest of the world, he eagerly dragged himself closer. And closer still.

Wanting with every fiber of his being to allow their admiring eyes to warm his cold, dead heart. He held the shield of their friendship, Buffy's love between him and the ruthless, deadly demon that lurked within. Forgetting for one crucial moment, what he was and what he constantly fought to keep chained.

Angelus.

He hadn't counted on falling for a Slayer, the mortal enemy of his kind. Almost, recklessly he allowed himself to fall into a trap of his own making. As if he believed hard enough, his fantasy would become reality. It was that glittering illusion that he was just another human that led to him making love to Buffy. Led to him not telling the truth about what he truly was.

A vampire with a curse upon his soul. One moment of perfect happiness and he would revert to his demonic self. But then again, who knew sex equaled perfect happiness?

All of them reflected back the image he presented to the world. Even Rupert treated him with avuncular goodwill. All of them, except the boy. That angry, resentful boy. Time and time again, he tried to make overtures, to convince the young man of his good intentions. But Xander, in his jealous fury, refused to buy into the flawless image he presented; and with the tenacity of a pit bull, the boy stubbornly held on to his dislike.

Xander had been and still was on a ledge by himself; steadfastededly refusing the dubious offers of safety his friends called to him. Unknowing or uncaring of the truth, but still unwilling to relax his vigilance.

And he had been right, Angel admitted ruefully to himself. Eighty-some odd years of celibacy, and he let a slip of a girl make him forget himself. Who now, after everything that passed between them, still regarded him with clear, loving eyes.

Angel came back to himself with a imperceptible start at the audible grinding sound of Xander's teeth. He cursed himself for his inattention and making the situation even more tensed. One thing the boy hated was being ignored. He stifled a sigh. If Xander wasn't careful, the teen was going to alienate the few friends he did have. Though he wondered why he cared; Xander was only making a fool out of himself and he wasn't doing too much harm. At least not yet.

He groaned silently as the scent of rage increased dramatically from the boy. He slid a look at the seemingly oblivious Oz. But when the small teenage boy looked at him, he could see the wolf sliding in the boy's dark stare. They both looked away, uncomfortable at the evidence of their own inner beasts.

"Xander, we are soo not going to go there again." Buffy said hastily. There was a deepening frown on her face as she glanced between Angel and Xander. She was getting increasingly tired of the little potshots that Xander kept taking at him.

"Never left the gate..." Oz wryly muttered under his breath.

"What.?" Xander questioned with a look of presumed innocence.

"Just.don't." she warned him uneasily, looking away from him. Nervous about that dark glittering look in his eyes.

"Oh, you don't want me to remind Angel to pick up his supply of pig's blood? Or that he needs to be back home, in his coffin, do you use coffins, by the way? before sunrise? Or I thought I would let him know about the new church they're thinking about building a few blocks from his crypt? So you don't get all dusty by accident." There was a world of helpfulness in Xander's voice. Totally at odds with the frustrated anger that was evident in his wide dark eyes.

"XANDER HARRIS." Buffy growled. Her eyes narrowed in rage at the meanness in her friend's remarks. Why was he always doing the wordy fighting thing with Angel? What was his problem?!

"Xander, stop.." Willow protested softly. Her face was becoming strained at the resurgent of tension in the living room. Why did everybody have to act all...macho?

"Thank you, Xander," Angel interjected quickly. His voice was suitably grave, pretending the teen was sincere in trying to be helpful. And stop the coming argument that he could see was building between the three teens.

Xander paid no attention to the vampire. His hands were clenched in nervous, frustrated rage under the table as he glared at Buffy. "NO.! You stop it! You all stop pretending like things are normal! That Deadboy is some kinda misunderstood.... human!" The boy spat out venomously. Why couldn't they SEE?!

"He's not human.and no matter how much you want him to be human," this was directed at Buffy who flinched. "He's always going to be this great big, bloodsucking demon! Demons are evil! And.and.killers! They can't be trusted and." his insistent voice was cut off by the noisy slam of a large book on the table. As one, they all jumped in surprise.

"SHUT UP.." Giles growled at the startled boy. His mouth curled upwards in a manner that shocked the others into further silence.

"B.bu.but Giles," Xander tried to protest.

"By god, if you don't stop your childish, immature prattling, I will find a way to shut you up!" Xander's face turned a dead white to rival the paleness of the vampire at Giles' harsh words.

"Once again we are all refreshed and challenged by your unique point of view," Giles' voice was as dry as the Sahara Desert. His face hardened into a stern mask. "I have sat here, day in, day out, listening with enormous patience, mind you, to your willingly ignorant ranting about the evils of demons. I. Have. Had. Enough."

"We," he gestured at the table, "Have had enough of your self-important speeches! You know little to nothing about demons, save what I have taught you. Yet you sit there, sprouting your nonsensical opinions as if they were a writ from God," Giles thundered at the shaken boy.

"Your views are childish, juvenile and extremely bigoted. One might even go so far as saying you are verging on Nazism," Giles continued coldly.

Xander sat frozen in his seat; his eyes standing out in the paleness of his face like coals. His chin quivered before firming. Willow bit her lip and looked away at the suspicious glint of moisture in his big eyes. She shook her head in dismay. Bad mistake Giles. Baaaad mistake! Yelling at him like this, especially in front of everybody, was only going to make him more stubborn.

Giles knew his anger at the almost intolerable situation his Slayer was putting him through with Angel was causing him to lash out at the boy. He knew it was unfair to unleash his temper on Xander, but he couldn't stop the horrible condemning words from spewing from his lips. Even if some of them were true.

"You go on ad nauseam regarding the failings of Angel; so, pray tell me Xander," now his voice held a silky menace that had the boy cowering down in his seat. "Tell me, tell us, what good deeds have you done? What sterling examples of selfless acts have you accomplished that even comes close to the good Angel has done, will do and is continuing to do?"

Everyone looked at Xander. He gazed at them all with a stubborn, defiant expression on his face. A set, mulish look that made Buffy try to angrily spring to her feet. She was surprised at the iron grip on her arm, holding her in place. Startled she glanced down at the thoughtful, distant expression on Angel's face.

As the vampire gazed at the boy, he wondered if anyone else noticed the bruised, wounded look in Xander's eyes at the vicious words coming from a man he revered. A couple of glances at Buffy and Giles' angry faces gave him the answer.

Xander opened his mouth then closed it with a snap. He looked away from the accusing faces of his friends. They didn't understand! Why were they so against him? And what's up with Giles being Mr. Flip-Flop man? Demons were supposed to be evil. Angelus killed Ms. Calendar.and tortured him. What the hell did they do practically every night? Research demons! And were they researching good demons?! Oh, no, no, no... they were looking for ways to stop the BAD DEMONS! How many times had they sat down and started looking for a bad human, huh?! Huh?! Zero...zilch.nada!

He ignored the efforts of Gwendolyn Price, the Watcher seeking the glove of Myghlgon, the Coach that turned the swim team into mutant fish, Invisible Girl and the other humans to cause considerable harm to them and other Sunnydale natives.

"Nothing to say? Why am I not surprised?" Giles stated sardonically. His eyes frosted over. "Now, here are the rules: you can open your book and continue researching the demon, while remaining silent on the subject of Angel's supposedly evilness or you can remove yourself from this table and our lives."

There was a hushed stillness. Slowly Xander turned to look at him. Despite himself, Giles flinched at the look that flashed in the boy's eyes. A look that screamed a soul being destroyed by despair. Was he being too harsh on the boy, he wondered uneasily? He was not comforted by Buffy nodding in vigorous agreement with his decree.

"Yo.you can't mean that.!" Xander said slowly. He was in a state of shock. His frantic dark eyes searched the table for even one friendly face. His eyes lingered longest on Willow's pale face. She lowered her eyes, tacitly refusing to side with him. Her head lowered, she didn't notice the frown deepening between Oz's brows at her lack of support.

"I.see," the boy said quietly. His shoulders slumped in angry defeat. He was right! He knew he was right about Deadboy. Nobody could tell him different. "I guess you don't really leave me with too many choices, huh, G-man?" Xander said bitterly.

Giles merely raised a brow, crossing his arms. He waited impatiently for the boy to return to researching their latest demon.

The only sound in the room was the sound of a chair being pushed back from the table. Grabbing his backpack from the floor, and with one painfilled look at the others around the table, Xander left.

The sound of the door clicking shut softly broke the silence in the room.

Seeing the shocked faces at the table, Angel shook his head. Even Rupert should know by now how stubborn Xander could be. He had remained silent throughout the Watcher's angry speech, wanting to know just how far the man would go. Apparently all the way to the wall, he thought wryly.

"That was expected in a I-soooo-didn't-see-that-coming kinda way," Oz remarked in the frozen silence that gripped the room.

"He.he.left," Buffy squeaked. Her voice rose in incredulity. She continued staring at the swinging doors as if expecting Xander to come back through. A mischievous smile on his face, exclaiming that it was all a joke.

"He.he.he'll be back," Willow stuttered out. Her face held a wide stare of horrified disbelief.

Giles sighed. "Do settle down, please," he pleaded wearily. He was already over his ill-tempered outburst. But that boy would try the patience of a saint! "I'm quite sure that once Xander has had a few moments to think about the situation, he will return. It's just been rather difficult for me to listen to his rather uninformed opinions any longer." He looked apologetically at the vampire.

Angel nodded sagely. "I understand. With his misguided outlook about demons and such there's no telling what he will grow up to be."

"Quite so," Giles said. But there was a hard glint in the vampire's eyes that had him stirring uncomfortably.

"Yes. Why, with those kinds of opinions floating around in his brain there's no end to the mischief he could get into, especially with demons." Angel shook his head sorrowfully, but his eyes were cool and steady on the ex-Watcher. "What he really needs to do is follow your example. Perhaps if you could share a couple of tales of your own youthful days with him, I'm sure he'll come around in time. Especially with such an exemplary fellow such as yourself to lead the way. Why, he might even be encouraged to follow in your exact footsteps. Maybe even become a Watcher...or something else. What do you think, Rip. I mean, Rupert?"

Giles stilled; only the flashing of his eyes gave indication of his alive state as he deciphered Angel's soft words. A hard, ugly look swam deep in his eyes that had Oz growling under his breath; a wolfish look flooding his eyes as he warily regarded the Librarian.

Willow and Buffy regarded each other with wide puzzled eyes, not understanding the new source of tension vibrating in the room.

Giles' eyes were distant, lost in his own troubled past. The 'fun' he used to have with his mates in his wilder, younger days. The things he and the others used to do for 'giggles'. Dear Lord, they actually thought raising demons was a lark! His jaw hardened.

And still his past continued to affect his present. The horrible memory of Elegyhon possessing Jenny was seared indelible in his soul; the sight of his Slayer strapped to a table while Ethan smirked and laughed burned an ineradicable imprint in the chaotic tapestry of his mind.

He had come to America to start over, to make a fresh start. And that dreaded man followed him, bedeviling him. Putting all that he had at risk. The life that he had, with painstaking care, built almost tumbled about his ears that fateful, eventful Halloween. Ethan, with his maliciously crafted candy, had sent the adults of Sunnydale on a crazed whirlwind of youthful exuberance.

Giles contemplated the divergent paths both he and his former best friend had taken. They had been so close, the best of friends. There had been no one he trusted more than Eth. They had each chosen a different path.but deep down, down where it mattered the most, he knew that he and Ethan were the same. Cold and utterly ruthless in the pursuit of their goals. However, their ways were vastly different. Eth chose to walk a much darker, more insidious route. A different path; one that gloried in chaos. Cruel, malicious tricks and confusion brought Ethan the most profound joy.

While he chose the opposite path. After Elegyhon, he had lost his taste for chaos and malicious pranks.

"Touché." A weary sigh escaped him.

"I've made a right muck of things, haven't I?" Giles said lightly, but there was a haunted look in his eyes. "Despite my best efforts, I've become my father," he stated ruefully. With a weary sigh, Giles took off his glasses and rubbed the bridge of his nose tiredly.

Angel shrugged, his eyes watchful. "While I do appreciate your strong defense, I am quite capable of holding my own against Xander's slings and arrows. He's only a kid, a teenager. And like most teens, he seems to think he has all the answers. So why should I even care what he thinks at this point in time? He has time to grow and change; and understand how his actions today will resonate into his future. Some day, when he's grown I'm quite sure that he'll look back and see just how woefully ignorant he used to be."

"'When I was a child, I used to talk as a child, think as a child, reason as a child; when I became a man, I put aside childish things'," Angel quoted softly.

"1 Corinthian, 13:11," Giles replied distantly. He met Angel's eyes squarely and straightened his shoulders. There was a look of cool resolve about him that put Willow's famous Resolveface to shame. His was the grownup, and inflexible version. And much more effective.

"'Sides, land of the free and home of the brave, hurrah. People are entitled to their opinions. Got a piece of paper that says so," Oz stated mildly, having decided to add a pithy comment. He had slowly relaxed his guarded vigilance of the Watcher now that the moment had passed.

"Oh, yeah? Show me.!" Buffy replied challengingly. She glared at the laid-back werewolf and slumped in her seat with her arms crossed. Uneasily aware that she was, perhaps, treading on shaky ground. Now that it seemed both Giles AND Angel were trying to defend Xander. It was sooo not fair for people to take a firm standish kinda position, then you find out you're on quicksand.

"Constitution.Bill of Rights." Oz smiled at the blank look on the tiny blonde's face. Poor girl, she had better find herself a really REALLY rich man.

"Anyway, there's no way Xander could ever grow up to be a Watcher," Buffy hastily switched the topic. "He's not.I mean.he's just Xander," she exclaimed triumphantly as if that was the clincher of her argument.

Giles raised a brow at her. "Why not? After all, I did," he retorted calmly, shocking her into a brief silence.

"Well yeah.but you're smart and.and.all goody-goody and tweed wearing," she replied weakly.

He cocked his head at her. Slowly he removed his glasses then looked at her. Just sat there and LOOKED at her. Letting her see the deadly alter ego that lived in his soul. The beast called Ripper. He smiled grimly, allowing her at last to see his full nature.

So she would never forget just how untamed he truly was.

Buffy shivered at that look in his eyes. She wondered resentfully if everybody ran around with two faces on. The slightly built girl waved a hand weakly for Giles to put his glasses back on. She had seen enough.

"I didn't always wear tweed," he reminded her softly. "There was a time when wearing leather jackets and jeans was quite commonplace for me."

Buffy and Willow exchanged twin glances of patented disbelief. However, they were willing to humor him.

"Actually Buffy's probably right," Angel quietly interjected. "He might not grow up. He might just become dinner for a vampire tonight." His words fell like a anvil. For a few seconds no one moved, frozen at the horrifying imagery.

"Buffy, Willow arm yourselves! Willow, you're more familiar with his routes to and from home. Oz, you're with me. We'll take the conventional routes," Giles barked orders out like a five-star general. There was no question in his mind that his will would be obeyed. Instantly.

"And me.?" the vampire requested softly. Giles hesitated, all too aware of what initially sparked the child to leave. Perhaps with Angel not here, maybe he could talk some sense into the boy. Pray God that he was able to save Xander from treading some of the same cruel paths in life that he once had to face.

"Being as he seems to harbor such an intense hostility towards you, perhaps it would be best if you were not here when we brought him back," the librarian said slowly, apologetically. He searched the vampire's shadowed eyes for signs of resentment at being excluded.

But Angel just nodded with little expression. Like an invisible elephant in the room, the knowledge that a lone Xander.out after dark.was a invitation to disaster sat heavily on their hearts. It was in everyone's fearful eyes that they may not find him in time.

"Wait a minute! What happened to giving him a little time to think things over? To.to see the error of his ways?!" Buffy exclaimed with angry eyes. She was still stewing over Xander's words about Angel.

Giles paused as did Willow and Angel. She avoided their eyes, setting her mouth in a thin line.

"Buffy, while I do realize your grades were not the best but even you know that two wrongs do not make a right," Giles said gently, but there was a certain hardness in his eyes. "Despite his feelings for Angel, he has always stood by your side. Ready and willing to aid you in your fight as the Slayer."

She sighed. "I know.but his attitude is so." she searched for an accurate description of how negative about Angel, about demons in general Xander was.

"Deplorable? Generally people with such extremist views are not just born that way," Giles said quietly. "Circumstances, and other external events shape the way we think and behave. What happens to one, may, for another individual cause quite a different outlook in life."

She nodded, pretended to understand and gathered her weapons. However, there was a grim look in her eyes that spoke of beating some sense into Xander's head.

Gathering his duster, Angel silently departed. His body language declaring to all his casual disinterest in locating Xander. But once outside the confines of the school, his casual manner fell away; and he began running. Racing almost flat out, he traced the mingled scent of rage and despair that had wafted from the boy. All the Scoobies scents were ineradicably branded in his olfactory senses. He could track any one of them even if the scent was mixed with other pungent odors.

He paused at a corner. Unknowingly presenting an odd sight as he sniffed the air like some kind of animal before darting off. He slowed, becoming increasingly sure, though puzzled, of the direction the boy was heading.

It wasn't the Harris' household that Xander was heading towards.

Angel at last came to his objective. He raised a brow in silent surprise. Soooo, it was going to be like this? Coming to a decision, he settled his duster over his body with a quick twist of broad shoulders. Then, as if he didn't suspect a thing, he strode into the mansion. His home.

Without missing a beat, he pretended as if he didn't know the boy was hiding in a shadowed alcove 10 feet from him. Watching him. Christ! If he didn't know it then, he sure as hell knew it the second he walked into his house. Could the boy breathe any louder?!

With a sigh, Angel went about preparing for the night. Wondering how Xander really thought he could sneak into a vampire's home and remain undetected. Both the racing heart and scents were a dead giveaway, Angel snorted as he stood under the hot, pulsating spray of the shower. Rolling his head around on his shoulders, he let the hot water caress his skin like a benediction. Warming him from the outside, in. But this time he had no intention of falling into the heady illusion of being human.

Willow's attempt to re-souling him didn't work like they thought. It was a secret he kept to himself. That his soul was permanently bound to this body. There was no demon Angelus to worry, to strive to keep harnessed. Soul and demon were now forever entwined. As a consequence, he had to exercise even greater control over himself. Either that, or he and Buffy
would definitely be in a state of contention. It was high time he left Sunnydale in her capable hands. His redemption wasn't to be found fighting at her side.

Turning off the water, he stepped out of the shower to dry off. That done, he donned a pair of black silk pajamas hanging behind the door. Pausing briefly, haloed against the lighted bathroom, he made a tempting target. But he had a feeling that idea wasn't going to work. Xander was a little too clever to go for a seemingly easy kill. The boy was like a wary animal, circling around. Crouched and low to the ground he hunted his prey. Unfortunately, Xander was young, an inexperienced pup. He had a tendency to prematurely spring for the attack. Allowing his prey to escape. Angel smirked. Or worse yet, to turn around and attack him.

Clicking the lights off, Angel paused; listening to the silence of the mansion for a few seconds. He hid a smile.

Closer. The boy was closer. Now to reel him in.

With a feigned weary sigh, he climbed into bed. Settling himself against the cushions, he knew that one way or another, this one-sided battle between him and Xander would end. Tonight.

Endless minutes later, Xander stole into the bedroom on silent feet. His eyes, now accustomed to the darkness, fell on the vampire stretched out against the black silk of the bed. The broad expanse of a pale chest drawing his eyes like a magnet. Clutched tightly in one hand, he held a stake, in the other, a nice silver cross.

Resentfully he glared at the motionless vampire. He was sooo tempted to drive a stake into Deadboy's unbeating heart. But that would be murder. He grinned wickedly. Actually it wouldn't. Be murder, that is. You have to be alive for it to be murder.

'Sides, he was going to provoke the vampire into attacking him. Then he would be perfectly justified, he thought stoutly. Defending himself from a dreaded vampire attack, he thought with a fatalistic morbid glee. He frowned. Although he had a feeling that it would take a lot for Buffy or Giles to buy his story, but maybe with some bruising, oooh, maybe even a tiny bite.and can you sound even stupider? He angrily chided his overactive imagination.

It (It?) looked at him sheepishly. //"Oh, sorry 'bout that. I was just getting into it, ya know?"//

//"I know, but it's that kinda fool talk that'll have Deadboy all over my ass,"// Xander replied sternly.

//"Yeah, and we certainly don't want that, do we?"// it asked wryly with an amused tilt of it's head. There was secretive laughter behind those dark eyes that made Xander squirm uneasily. Did he know something that he wasn't telling himself? Better yet, had he finally lost his marbles for even thinking that?

//"D'uh!"// the boy replied sarcastically and an expressive roll of his eyes. //"You know, for somebody that's, well.me.I'm.you.just don't be so stupid!"//

In his distraction, he failed to notice the frown gathering on Angel's face.

The vampire peered through his lashes at the motionless boy. He stifled a frustrated sigh at the blank look in Xander's eyes. Then a positively evil idea took shape in his head. Cautiously, he slipped out of the bed, sure that in his distraction, Xander wouldn't notice. Circling around the boy, he simply waited.

Coming back to the matter at hand, Xander looked around for something to throw at Deadboy. The hell he was going to chuck his only cross at the vampire.

He frowned. Something was out of place.

Okay, let's do a mental checklist.

Stake: Check

Cross: Check and double check!

Bed: Check

Sleeping vampire.he whimpered softly. Not checked! Not checked! Argggh! Deadboy walking! Deadboy walking!

"So, to what do I owe this visit.?" came a soft, silky voice from behind him.

"GAH!" He whirled around in fright. Xander clutched at his chest, his heart pounding at the fright he had received. "Don't do that!" Xander yelled at the mildly amused vampire. He sent a deadly glare at Deadboy, to show that he meant business. "I am SO going to buy you a friggin' cow bell!"

"Uh, huh." Angel waited and when it seemed the boy wasn't planning on talking, at least anytime soon, he asked once again why was Xander at his home. Late at night. With a stake and a cross.

Xander looked at his hands and gasped with feigned shock.

If he didn't know better, he would have thought the boy really didn't know how two such instruments appeared in his hands, Angel mused cynically.

"I was.uhm.I was.coming to.to.to.ah..see you so that I can learn more about demons," Xander said in a breathless rush. Smugly he gave himself a mental pat on the back at his brilliant answer.

Angel cocked a brow skeptically. "Uh huh."

"It's true!" the boy said insistently. "I.I.was.uhm.upset cuz of what Giles said. Ya know, about me being a Nazi and a racist, cuz I am soooo not like that. I know plenty of people that aren't white and I like them just fine," he added firmly. "I'm more of a speciest than a racist," he announced proudly. But at the look Angel gave him he deflated slightly.

"Anyhow, I just wanted to know more, about demons; cuz, G-man is seriously pissed at me." He was mixing truth with half-truths with reckless abandon. His mind was racing, trying to figure out an angle around the little pickle he got himself into. Hmmm, pickles. He felt his mouth water at the thought of a nice crunchy pickle.

"So you want to learn more about demons, do you?" Angel said quietly. His eyes were intent as he stared at the boy.

Xander frowned when Deadboy took a step forward. All of a sudden he was sure that visiting a vampire's lair was a really bad idea. BAD! Carefully he took a step backwards. Having no real desire to get that up close and personal with the vampire's space.

Angel kept moving forward, backing the boy up until the back of Xander's knees hit the bed. The boy wavered, wind milling his arms to stay upright. Angel applied the gentlest of pressures with his fingertips. With an angry cry, Xander toppled onto the bed.

"Dammit, Deadboy.!"

Angel smiled. A dark, devilish Angelus smile that froze Xander on the bed like a terrified mouse. And that's what he felt like, a mouse. Guess who's the cat? He thought with hysterical wildness. But he couldn't look away.

Angel climbed on the bed and crawled up the boy's prone body. Straddling the deceptively lanky body, he could hear Xander's heart racing. The scent of fear that poured off the boy almost overpowered another scent. It was very subtle, almost unnoticeable. Angel drew back slightly to peer at the confused and terrified boy.

Was this what was driving Xander to constantly attack him? Some unconscious instinct to protect himself from feelings he was barely aware of?

Drawing back even more, Angel's eyes were hard as he watched the boy shut his eyes hastily. The breath coming from the youth was harsh ragged puffs. Just shy of tears.

Xander felt the bed shake before he heard Angel's rough voice ordering him to get up.

Scrambling to his feet, he shivered at the dark look that was on the vampire's face. He swallowed convulsively at the way Deadboy started pacing. Back and forth. Back and forth. And not once did Angel look away from him.

The teen eyed the exit longingly and wondered if he started, like maybe yesterday, would he make it before Deadboy hauled him back.

Angel followed the boy's gaze and in a flash of prenatural speed, he was casually standing between Xander and freedom.

"So you want to learn more about demons, eh?"

The brunette human lifted his chin. "That's what I said." He dared the other to call him a liar.

"You're lying." Angel stated calmly, crossing his arms. "Tell me the truth and I'll let you go."

The boy drew back, a look of anger on his face. His fear was forgotten in the wake of his anger. "You'll let me go? Who the hell do you think you are? Buffy and the others will stake your ass before you even know it!" he exclaimed confidently. But he was shaken by the slow way Angel shook his head. That and the look of mocking pity in the vampire's eyes.

"Actually, what they are doing is looking frantically for you. They figure they will either find you alive." he trailed off deliberately.

"Or what.?"

"Or dead." Angel shrugged carelessly. His eyes never left the boy's slowly whitening face. "But either way, I was not involved," he added. His face glowed with a feigned look of virtuous innocence; slowly the shining look faded, darkened. "Giles even apologized to me for your bad behavior before he sent me home." And his smile was like the slash of a blade.

Xander deciphered Angel's words. That predatory smile on the vampire's face.

That smile...

Hungry and alarmingly full of sharp, jagged teeth.

Oh shit! They brought back the wrong demon!

Self-preservation kicked in and he took off like a shot. He ran desperately through the other door. Where he was going, it didn't matter. As long as 'here' didn't have an Angelus.

"Xanderrrrrrr...."

He ignored the hollow calling, and especially the mocking laughter that followed. He wasn't that stupid. An Angelus wanting to play games was bad news. The vampire just didn't quite grasp the rules about NOT killing your opponents. Which made having him at a party a real downer.

Xander ran up the stairs and down a short hallway. He looked frantically back and forth, and ahead. Panic nearly shortening out his brain.

"Think! Which way to go? Which way?" he whispered to himself in worried frustration.

"Go left; it's safer..."

"Thanks..." he took the whispered advice and whirled to his left. Two steps and Xander came to an abrupt halt. He didn't bother turning around. He knew who would be behind him.

"So, where's your witty little comments now, my little Nazi?" Angel purred softly in the boy's ear.

Unexpectedly, Xander was seized by an intense rage. He whirled around and glared defiantly at the vampire. "Get this straight...I am not a fuckin' Nazi! I just don't like demons!" he snarled. His rage soared higher at the disbelieving smirk on the vampire's face.

"You are a Nazi...you're also a little bigot. You sprout your ignorant little opinions about demons; but you don't know the first thing about us. About me." Now Angel lost his smile.

"I know enough about demons not to trust the bloodsucking, murdering bastards!" Xander spat. His hands were clenched in fists of pure adrenaline. Secretly he was amazed that he was still alive. Last time he faced off against Angelus, he had the added protection of orderlies and policemen holding the vampire from ripping out his spine.

Angel shook his head in amazement, a half-smile on his face. "You know, sometimes you got to admire people like you. You are a man who always sticks by his convictions. You'll remain a fool no matter how much you get laughed at for them."

The young man flushed; his jaw tightening angrily but he withheld comment. Unwilling to push the boundaries of his miraculous state of aliveness any further with Angelus.

Angel lost his smile. "You don't know a damn thing about me," he replied quietly. Coming to an abrupt decision Angel punched the boy in the jaw. Catching the now unconscious figure, he easily shifted the limp body higher in his arms. "But you will by the time I'm finished with you. And who knows? We both might learn a thing or two," he muttered to his unconscious burden.

Xander came to with a low moan of pain. He didn't know why, but he had a feeling that a demon was to blame. Maybe one of those little tiny ones. He had a sneaking suspicion that if he moved, the little evil dude drilling a hole in his head would get even more vicious. So, let's recap: moving, not of the good; laying still.good. He figured if he stayed still long enough, maybe the Evil Demon of Torment and Pain would lose interest.

Unfortunately, his natural impatience got the best of him. Struggling to sit up, he found his hands bound together. He really started to panic when he realized he was also blind! His bound hands instinctively came up, feeling his face. At the touch of the cloth around his eyes, he relaxed. Whew! That's a relief. Not blind, just blindfolded. And where he previously thought he knew Dread and Panic, now he was meeting their really big brothers...Sheer Terror and Abject Fear, he gibbered to himself.

"Wha.?" He froze, hearing little rustling noises several feet away from him. In a flash, it all came back to him why his head was hurting. Horror bloomed in his heart and he couldn't restrain his frantic struggles to be free.

Angel looked up from the large packs he had already carried over to the other side. Briefly he calculated whether or not to simply ignore the boy for the time being but regretfully decided that if he did the little nutcase would roll off the ledge. Which would cause trouble and make more work for him. And he wondered why he was even bothering trying to instill some common sense into the boy.

It was just something about the blind, unwavering belief in what the boy presumed to know that got to him. He simply couldn't bear to let that kind of ignorance go unchecked. After this adventure, if Xander still believed in the inherent evilness of demons then at least he had tried to open the boy's eyes to reality.

Stifling a sigh at the way the boy was wiggling closer to the edge, Angel swiftly crossed the natural stony walkway. A tiny smirk crossed his face at what Xander would soon be experiencing. But the boy brought this on himself, he assured himself solemnly.

"So, you're awake.." Was the first thing that let Xander know he was still in Angelus' insanely, evil hands. For that matter, Angelus' whole body was evil!

"You suma." his vicious tirade was abruptly checked by a sharp tap on his cheek.

"We'll be a-havin' none of that," Angel admonished the boy with a unseen smile. "On yer feet, m' foine boyo." With rough joviality he hauled the boy to his feet. He steadied him with a hand to the boy's shoulder; letting the youth fall heavily to the ground when the teen angrily shrugged him off.

"Ommpf!" Xander cried out when his knee connected painfully with something hard. Probably Angelus' head, he thought resentfully as the waves of pain ebbed.

"You are sooo gonna get your ass kicked THEN staked when Buffy finds you," he threatened breathlessly as he was jerked to his feet again.

Angel cocked his head. "Now why would she do that?" His voice held only genial goodwill. "After I went to all the trouble of writing Giles that I, being the kind and generous person that I am, magnanimously extended my hand in friendship to you. We are on an adventure! But, oh my, I do believe you've graduated from high school! I think it'll be quite a while before anyone really grows worried about you."

He snickered as the smell of fear increased in the boy. When the young decide to enter adulthood, they had better be prepared to accept the consequences.

Xander swallowed hard. His heart was thumping so hard in his chest he was halfway expecting it to pop out; thus, saving Angelus the trouble of ripping it out. Boy this was one time that he hated being proven right! Choking down his fear, he lifted his chin; resolved to meet his fate like a man. Even if he wanted to bawl his eyes out like a baby.

Angel chuckled softly. The boy was brave, yet foolhardy, however, Xander had a small amount of courage.

"Relax...I have no intention of killing you," he said soothingly.

"You're not?!" The teen squeaked in astonishment. Clearing his throat, Xander affected a casual, manly tone. "You're not? Then what's with the blindfold and tying of the hands?"

"Oh, it's not that I don't trust you..." Angel paused as he really thought about what he was saying. "What I am stupid? Of course, I don't trust you! First chance you get, you'll be trying to escape."

"Uhm, excuse me for pointing this out, but that's what a prisoner is supposed to do. I'm sure it's in a rulebook at Giles' place. I know! Let's go check it out!" Xander announced brightly. His words were accompanied by a wide, cheerful grin.

Angel laughed loudly. He was surprised at the dark pleasure he was finding in the boy's company. Twisted, sure, but a demon has to get his jollies somewhere.

"C'mon, you. Since you said you wanted to learn more about demons, I thought this would be an excellent opportunity to teach you."

"Blindfolding and tying my hands is not how I imagined it," Xander muttered. He walked blindly forward at Angel's urging. "Dude, I'm not feeling the love and trust." He shook his head with feigned sadness at the lack of faith from Angel.

Angel paused just before the narrow walkway. Perforce, so did Xander. "Listen to me closely. The reason why you're blindfolded is because I don't want you to see where we're going. Just in case you decide to make a return trip back here," he said with a rumble of menace in his voice. There was a dark promise of pain, and blood, in his tone. "So we're going to do this my way."

"Because you're bigger and stronger, huh?" Xander said bitterly. Cursing the cruelness of fate that had him still a teen. And weaker than a vampire. Though he had to admit even if he was an adult, he would still be weaker than a vampire.

"And what is your way, oh mighty one?" This was said with every ounce of sarcasm. Angel briefly noted that if there was a class called Sarcasm, that would be the one that Xander would score straight A's. Hell, the boy would probably end up teaching it halfway through the course.

"You stay tied up and blindfolded until we get to where we're going." With that, before Xander could squawk in protest, he found himself sailing through the air. He let out a 'omph' when he landed on a broad shoulder.

Fuming at the indignity of being carried like a sack of potatoes, he began squirming. "Xander, just so you know, there's a 50-ft drop below us," Angel said conversationally as he walked the narrow path with consummate ease. "And if I even think I'm about to fall, guess what I'm gonna do?"

"Uhm, toss me to safety just before you plunge to a long and potential painfully death?" Xander said hesitantly.

Angel snorted. "In your dreams, boy. I'm tossing you over and saving myself."

"Selfish! That's what you are! Pure selfish! I'm shocked."

".and appalled, no doubt," Angel muttered wryly as he navigated the treacherous path to safety. Despite his blithe words to the boy, he was really taking both their lives in his hands. It was difficult enough without Xander's unbalanced weight on his shoulder.

"Yes.that's what I am, appalled! Shocked and appalled at your callous indifference to my life," Xander finished grandly. Seconds later, he gasped as he found himself twisted about and set on his feet.

"A little warning next time would be great," he grated out.

"Here.carry this!"

Xander stumbled with a low grunt of surprise. He almost fell to his knees as a heavy sack thumped against his side, while the strap stained against his neck.

"What the hell do I look like?! Your personal ass?" he snapped angrily.

Angel paused as he thought about the question. He shook his head rapidly to clear the erotic pictures that he just knew came from deep in his subconscious. DEEP in his deranged, clearly unbalanced subconscious.

"Dead.Angelus?.Angelus? Yo.you.still here?" Xander asked nervously. His heart beginning to race at the thought of being left alone. Tied and blindfolded.

"ANG.umph!" A broad palm covered his mouth. He almost bit it in a fit of panic.

"Will you please be quiet? Sheesh!" Angel exclaimed in annoyance. Then he made a face and hurriedly withdrew his now wet hand. "Ugh!"

"That's what you get for scaring me!" The lanky teen smirked with false bravado. But at the low, rumbling growl, Xander stilled. Fear once again blossoming in him.

"A.A.Angelus?" he squeaked out. He yelled when he was grabbed roughly and turned about.

"C'mon, you little idiot." came Angel's long-suffering sigh.

He grabbed the other four bags and made suitable adjustments to the distribution and position of the duffle bags. It wasn't the heaviness that made carrying them awkward, it was the sheer size. That, and having to guide the annoying boy through the labyrinth of the underground tunnels and caves. Listening to a litany of grievances from Xander, he mused that maybe it would be simply easier to snap the little pisser's neck rather than endure another minute of complaints.

But for the most part, he managed to ignore the long list of his alleged sins by concentrating on what he had in store for the boy. A dark smile, reminiscent of Angelus, spread across his face. Had Xander seen that smile he would had saved the vampire the trouble of killing him by having a heart attack.

Three long hours later an exhausted Xander arrived at the mysterious location that Angel had patiently guided them. The youth was so tired and in so much pain, he didn't even have the strength to whine about the hardness of the ground when they stopped. He simply collapsed and prayed that Angelus was lost. At least that way he'll at least get a chance to rest. Because resting was like milk, it built healthy bones and it was good for whatever ailed you, the boy thought with whimsical mad humor.

But to his horror, he heard Psychoboy utter the dreaded words. "We're here."

Angel smirked at the whimper his words caused Xander. Stooping, he removed the blindfold and untied the teenager's hands. He felt a brief sympathy at the exhausted look on Xander's face. But he hardened his heart. The little squawk box brought this on himself. Either the boy learned or he didn't.

Xander blinked dumbly up at Angelus. He swung his head right and left. Gasping softly as phosphorous lichen lit the tunnel they were in with an eerie glow.

Standing up, Angel strode to a massive circular opening. Grasping the iron handle, the vampire exerted tremendous strength. With a muted groaning sound, the door slowly swung open. It was pitch black inside.

Xander had a bad feeling. A feeling that was reinforced by Demonboy gesturing him into the inky blackness. Grumbling, the boy painfully got to his feet. Gritting his teeth at the throbbing that was going on in his knees, he hobbled to the entrance and peered in. Hoping that it was his imagination that was making it seem so dark.

Nope...imagination was right on the money, he thought unhappily. With a fearful glance at Psycho-Bob, Xander warily stepped through. He was halfway expecting to be sealed inside with only himself for company, which in light, or dark as the case may be, of who was with him wasn't such a bad idea.

But once the heavy door was shut, he decided that even Evil unDead Guy was better than nobody. He jumped and shouted in alarm when he felt a cool hand grasp his.

"This way..."

"Dea...I mean Angelus...I'm not a vampire, and not that being a vampire is necessarily a bad thing," he hastily tacked on, just in case. "But not a vampire here! So, no 'see-ee in the dark-ee'? I ain't got that 'seeing in pitch-blackness-vision', ya know? And considering I've been known to trip over a speck of dust, I'm seeing a definite problem with 'this way'."

Angel chuckled as he urged the nervously chattering boy forward. "Don't worry, there's nothing for you to trip over. And by the way, I'm not Angelus." He nodded casually to the four sentries and one of the runners. He knew the other runner had already raced ahead to warn the others. These particular sentries had a vision that pierced the dark like it was daytime.

The sentries regard the oblivious human with disapproving eyes before looking away. Wasn't their problem.

Angel grinned guiltily as they walked past the demons. They were getting resigned to him swelling their little community. Fortunately, he had no intention of leaving the boy down here, he thought virtuously.

"Now where are we going?" Xander huffed out as they came to a lit corridor. Though he had moved a little more briskly once his mind was convinced that the muting of the darkness was because of the light. Sweet, sweet light! O wonderful blessed light!
However, his resentment at his traveling companion was growing by leaps and bounds. Ha! His resentment would win Gold in the Olympics for Leaping and Bounding.

"And, being a straightforward guy myself, I'm really not liking this cryptic-guy routine that you used to run on the Buffynator. This Captain Nemo Undercave adventure is so not my thing. Would it kill you to at least give.me.a." Xander trailed off as they rounded another corner. And laid out before his wondering eyes was a softly illuminated, sprawling little community. It was even bustling! Not that fake, 'Oh, I got to get somewhere in a real hurry so get the hell outta my way, buster' but a more 'Time's awasting; I hafta hurry but before I go, let me tell you.' bustling.

"Holy Batman.people!" Xander exclaimed in real delight. He wasn't close enough to tell what they were wearing or anything but what the heck.they gotta be better than being around Deadboy.

Angel's mouth twitched at the eagerness on the boy's face. He knew what the boy thought; however, he wasn't in any hurry to disillusion Xander. At least not yet.

"I'm not holy nor Batman either," he said with a hint of laughter in his voice. That brought the teen out of his happy daze. Xander darted a sharp look at the vampire. Did Deadboy make a joke? Nahhhh, he resolutely decided to ignore Sharptooth. Besides, there were people down there. People that would undoubtedly help.and by this time they were closer.
And Xander saw exactly what kind of people were milling around in the large area.

His happy mood soured. Oh, they were people alright. Demon people was more like it.

His breath started coming faster as they walked among the demons. Xander swiftly lowered his eyes and head, to avoid making eye contact with the beings. His curiosity was driving him crazy, however, at the warm effusive greetings that Angel was getting. He was even more surprised to see humans coming up to greet the vampire with cheerful enthusiasm. They actually acted like they *liked * Deadboy. Which had to be a mistake because the only humans Fangface knew was the Scoobies.

His bewilderment was rapidly being eclipsed by the monumental anger overtaking him; apparently Deadboy was hiding the fact that he had other friends. What.all of a sudden the Scoobies weren't good enough for him?

The sheer illogical nature of his anger totally escaped him.

Angel greeted his friends with a smile and a wave of his hand. But he kept moving steadily towards his rooms allocated to him. Space down here was at a premium. Those that eschewed electricity took up residence along the outer rim of the small community, leaving others to enjoy the comforts of the large generator in the center of the social group.

Willingly, he allowed others to take the bags of food he had brought down. He helped Xander remove his, and gave that one to a burly human male with a smile of thanks. A ritual, sure, but it made him feel connected to this distaff group. No one asked for much down here; they were proud and very much self-sufficient. But it was the little things that meant so much to them. Spices, sugars, salt, pepper and lots of can goods. Things that would last. Things that allowed them to remain safely hidden from the prying eyes of the world above.

Without touching the boy, Angel urged him onwards. He was aware of the waves of confusion from Xander, but he ignored it. If the boy wanted to know, he needed to learn how to ask.

His curiosity becoming unbearable, Xander finally gave it. "Where are we? What is this place?" he blurted out.

Angel slowed his steps to allow the boy to catch up. "Well, ain't you gonna answer me?! You're Mr. Oh, I have all the answers guy! So what's your answer?" Xander said sharply. His face was screwed up in distaste at all the demons around him. He was having a hard time managing his fear. But he stopped abruptly, his attention riveted on a bunch of small figures charging at them. Angel continued walking, unperturbed. He knew what caught the boy's attention.

"N'gel! N'gel!" With screams, hoots and wailing cries, several of the children ran towards him. The adults around smiled fondly at the earsplitting noise from the horde of children.

It was a little game for the kids. First one to make it to the vampire, got to ride his shoulders.

Triumphantly, Jorel reached the tall demon; he latched on to Angel's hand with all four tentacles. But the little T'chle demon didn't immediately swarm up to the high prize of the Bigger's shoulders. With a sharp, toothy grin, he waited until his shy friend Noranda, lurched her way through the milling crowd. Laughing excitedly, they parted and urged the lame girl through.

"Here! Norry, see I saved him just for you," the little boy said self-importantly to the gentle child. As if he was the only one involved. He ignored his buddies' glares and basked in the warmth of her wide, luminous eyes. He blushed, three tentacles slipping off Angel to knot up behind the boy's head. Resolutely he ignored the hooting, and mocking comments from his mates. So what? They were just jealous!

"Thank you..."

Norry beamed up at Angel, her eyes wide with pleasure at this treasured event. Her face deepened its fuchsia hue, showing the others how much this meant to her. Bright yellow quills jutted out stiffly on her head, betraying her excitement.

Jorel shuffled his taloned feet uncomfortably. Looking all the world like a boy on his first date.

"Aw, weren't nothing," he claimed with modest pride. Puffing his chest out, he strutted in place. "Alls I had ta do was beat them fu..." he caught Angel's warning eye, "...slow pokes. Git on, 'fore the Bigger changes his mind."

Glumly he knew he was going to fuckin' get his ass reamed by the sunamabitches he called friends after this. Bunch of shitheads, they were!

Norry smiled up at Angel again, and lifted her arms. Once perched on his shoulders, she gasped in delight. She surveyed the others from her exalted position with imperious pride. But the Bigger behind Angel confused her. She wanted a better look. Turning her head around on her shoulders, she peered down at the startled human. Giving him her best smile, she greeted him cheerfully, a shy softness in her eyes.

"Hi..."

Blinking Xander stammered a hello of his own. It wasn't everyday that he saw a demon turn their head like some kinda frickin' giant owl.

Carefully, Angel strolled with the tiny child balanced atop his shoulders. Someday, he hoped to find her mother and rip the muscles out of her leg. The fact that the greedy bitch only gave birth to Noranda for the child's valuable body parts simply added more pain to what he planned to do to the bitch.

Prepubescent Zenan muscles were a hot commodity on the black market. The younger, the better. And fresher parts, paid really good.

He'll find her, he thought with cold finality. And she would pay. For every painfilled day Norry spent, the bitch would pay.

Xander didn't have time to escape. All the rest of the children surrounded him, as the next tallest Bigger for a ride. They were all clamoring at him, jumping up and down. Strangely uncomfortable, Xander ignored their pleading faces and hurried after Angel. He hovered behind the vampire when the dark haired demon came to a halt. His mind was fragmenting under discomfited thoughts while Angel spoke casually to a small party of men. Sulking, the children left the Biggers to talk.

Beyond offhandedly mentioning Xander's name and that the boy would be staying with him, he did little to assuage the wild curiosity raging in the cave dwellers' eyes. Sometimes he enjoyed being the mysterious visitor. Being cryptic guy was fun.

Handing Norry off to her adopted human father, Angel, with a jerk of his head, signaled Xander to move. He could feel the confusion the boy was suffering as people, human and demon alike, cheerfully hailed him with pleased looks. But to his surprise, Xander didn't immediately plague him for answers. There were days, he got the annoying feeling that the boy thought responding to his demands for answers was his god given right as a human. Both Buffy and Xander acted as if they were entitled to answers. Buffy, as her status as a Slayer; Xander, as an inalienable right as a human. Willow, he privately felt, was too shy and timid to demand. But her silentness evoked a demand of its own.

But sometimes, giving them answers wasn't the best idea. Having them, more importantly, research and struggle diligently for the answers gave the Scoobies a keen understanding of the nature of the problem. Otherwise, the Slayerettes would get their collective asses kicked.

Clever Giles. He thoroughly approved of the way the man forced them to sit and look through the tomes for the solution to whatever problem they were facing instead of simply giving them the answers.

Wading through the many books had an added bonus of allowing snippets of information to secret themselves into the teens' head without their knowing. Additional knowledge that they could use at will later in the future.

Finally the two men reached Angel's quarters. Pulling aside the door, the vampire silently gestured the boy into the snug dwelling.

Taking a deep breath for courage, Xander stepped into the...bedroom? He looked around in confusion. Because that's what it was. A bedroom. Table with two chairs sat against one wall and crowed along, was a dresser. A large comfortable bed, a nightstand with a lantern sat flush against the wall. A pillow covered trunk, that apparently served as additional seating, sat at the foot of the bed, several feet from a fireplace. Xander's wondering eyes took in the room's furnishing. Long planks, anchored in walls held a vast collection of books.

He gave a long look at a darken archway, then looked away. Briefly he wondered where it led to, but felt it good manners to compliment Deadboy and get the hell out of Demoncentral.

"Nice place; can I go home now that I know lots of much fascinating things about demons?" He tried to inject as much sincerity into his voice as possible, cuz God knows he wanted to be HOME!

Angel smiled calmly. "I told you, you're here to learn about demons. And right now, you don't know a damn thing, little man."

Xander flushed at the mocking tone from the vampire. He was also nervously aware that this Deadboy was a lot different from the one he was used to. For one thing, this Deadboy was hitting back.

His eyes narrowed; there had to be a way out of this. When Deadboy slept he would sneak out. Somebody down here was bound to help him if he claimed the vampire was going to kill him. Somebody human, that is. But the foundations of his world had been rocked by the sight of the children. Some of them looked normal enough to pass as humans.

Angel, watching the boy closely, saw the confusion flare in those dark eyes. "You didn't know that some demons could have children, did you? Vampires are one of the few that can't reproduce biologically. But the humans that are Turned are considered our children. We call them 'childers'. You didn't know that either. Wouldn't you like to know more, more than Willow, more than Buffy? Just imagine, you knowing more than even Giles about demons." Angel's voice was softly persuasive.

Xander wavered; his mind awash with the possibility of finally having something that none of the others had. Willow with her techno-knowledge; Buffy with her Slayer strength; and Giles with his book learning. But he...Xander Harris, the Zeppo would have the best knowledge of all. First hand knowledge. Finally he could prove to everybody that demons were bad. Evil.

He frowned, unsure of himself now that he had seen the kids. Cuz, unless he missed his guess, there wasn't a whole lot of evil in those kids. Just the ordinary, run-of-the-mill kinda evil that was in all kids.

But evil was evil, he hastily assured himself. There was no telling that they wouldn't grow up to be much bigger evil.

//"And there's no telling how you will grow to be as well,"// whispered a sly voice in his head. A brief image of his father, drunk as usual; red-faced and screaming at his mother flashed in his mind. He flinched instinctively from the memory, instantly decrying the momentary thought. He was NOTHING like his father! Nor would he ever be!

"Fine, then!" Xander snapped. Irritated beyond measure at the unfairness of what was happening. He crossed his arms and glared at the vampire. "But I'm warning you, I know all I want to know about demons," he declared stubbornly.

Angel just smiled.


end part 1