Title: The Light Found in Darkness

Author: Kate R.

abelard950@aol.com

Disclaimer: Not mine and never will be.

Rating: Pg-13 to R for Slash, swearing and maybe something else. Nothing Graphic that I know of.

Pairings: Wesley/Barnabas so far

Summary: To stop the first, the holders of the Seven Virtues of Light have to be found. Does Giles have enough time? And Will Buffy accept that it is not her?


The Light Found in Darkness
by Kate R.


He was looking for the answer while he and Ethan were running. He had a feeling it was in one of the books he'd stuffed in his bag before Ethan had appeared and grabbed him just before his door was blown in. He was flipping through one as quickly as he could while Ethan rested for an hour. He was jumping them as far as he was able to at once and Giles knew the strain was incredible. But, Ethan was managing with just an hour or so of rest. Giles was reading when a line caught his attention:

"Seven in Darkness to Bring About Light," he read. Then he began to pay attention and read from the start.

The Prophecy of the Seven Virtues
Seven in Darkness to Bring the Light
Seven in Darkness to Stop the Blight
Seven in Darkness to wage the Fight
Seven Virtues Hidden down deep
Hidden in darkness to protect and keep
Called upon in Time of need
Called upon to stop the Seed.
Called upon to Stop the First
Called Upon to temper the worst.
Merciless Justice, Cold in his rage,
Soul Lost on the day of love's foolish cage.
Compassionate Love, Seer of Truth,
Often seen to be aloof.
Loving Light, Master of Line,
Drinks down sex as if it were wine.
Fearful Courage, Scarred and Burnt,
Learner of Lessons Still to be learnt.
Remorseful Faith, Regretting the Past,
Hopes to regain his Redemption at Last.
Stubborn Grace, Defender of Place,
Protector of City, in no one's place.
Powerful benevolence, Protector of All,
Rises up to answer the call."

"Dear God in heaven," Rupert Giles whispered, as he understood. They could not fight evil because they had been missing this key for years. That was why the bringers were chasing him; He had the Key to their Downfall. He would look at the rest later but right now, he needed to get Ethan and get them back to the states. It would take far more than just the two of them to research this prophecy alone. As much as he loathed doing it, he had to get the Scooby Gang. This was going to be...Interesting.

"Ethan, luv, wake up," he whispered.

The Sorcerer woke slowly and Giles smiled.

"I know where we have to go now," he said. "We need help to decipher the rest of this but I know at least there is a way to stop the first. Can you jump us to Sunnydale? To Xander's place if at all possible?"

"I can try," the sorcerer said as he gathered his equipment. "I know your shop better but I can try to get us to the pup's place."

And Giles nodded and took the hands of his Ethan as the transport Spell took hold and they were suddenly...elsewhere.

"GILES!?!?" a shocked voice said once the world solidified.

"Hallo, Xander," he said as he caught Ethan. "Could you be a good lad and make up the couch? Ethan needs some rest. I'll explain everything later, I promise."

And Xander nodded mutely, surprised though he was by Giles' sudden appearance, he knew it would all be explained to him soon. He could tell looking at Giles that soon would be whenever Ethan was awake but for once, just for once, he kept his mouth shut and sat down to wait.



Part 1

"Giles, what's going on?" Xander asked as Giles looked down at the sorcerer.

"I have to clean up yet another of Willow's messes," the former librarian, watcher, and all around father figure muttered. "And I am not amused by it. Call Angel and tell him I need him and Wesley here. Tell me Spike is here?"

"He is, why?" Xander asked.

Giles shook his head. "I'll explain once everyone I need is here. Tell them to bring Faith if you would? I have a feeling she can help with this."

"With what?" Xander asked.

"A prophecy I need help deciphering the players in. All I know is that they can save the world."

"Isn't that us?" the youth asked.

And Giles shook his head. "Not unless you've suddenly begun drinking blood, no. Xander, try to keep your prejudicial statements to yourself. If I'm right about the one Faith may know He has done more good in his undead life than the last 200 Slayers, and I am including Buffy there, Combined. Now, please, let me get this done, okay?"

Xander sat down to absorb what Giles had just said. Basically, he was saying Vampires were going to save the world. Right, he'd believe it when he saw it.

Giles muttered to himself as he flipped through his books outlining clues as he went. As he was sure he knew at least three, it wasn't so important but he outlined all the clues he could come up with. If the children were going to 'help' he needed the clues as obvious as possible.

"Ripper?" Ethan asked from the couch. "I think...I think you're right. He is one of them. Tired though. I'm so tired."

"Then rest, Eth, you've done your part so rest. You got me here. Now, close your eyes and sleep. I'll be here when you wake, I swear."

Ethan drifted off and Giles sat to wait for the arrivals of those they needed.

Spike arrived first. He sat down by Giles not sure why he'd been called here except that the Watcher needed him apparently.

"Well," Giles said quietly after a time. "When Angel arrives I'll show you what I have, okay?"

"Sure, Rupes," Spike said as they waited. It was only an hour or so later that Angel arrived with Wesley and Faith. Angel, Giles laughed to himself. No, they were all incredibly Blind. This wasn't Angel.

"Hallo, Angelus," he said as soon as the dark vampire was safely invited in. He heard the gasp from Xander and shook his head sadly. "It was only obvious. Completely clear after I read the prophecy. Faith, you are here because I believe you know who the Virtue of Benevolence is."

"Oh?" she asked.

"Yes," Giles said as he pulled the book out and quoted from it "Powerful Benevolence, Protector of All; Rises up to answer the call."

"Boss," she said without even blinking. "Gotta be boss. Yeah, he is the protector of All in his town and he always gets up and fights. You need him for something?"

"Yes" Giles said. "I need the Seven Virtues. Seven in Darkness can stop the First. We have to gather them. Two are in this room, Angelus as Merciless Justice and Spike as Compassionate Love. I think Powerful Benevolence is a man in Maine, and, I say Man, Xander, because he is far more a man than most humans, because he does not turn a blind eye to badness. He gets up and fights it, as Faith said."

"I got his number here, G," she said. "I'll go call from a payphone. Wouldn't want to dirty Xander's lines by calling a vampire on his phone."

"HEY!" The youth exclaimed.

Giles sighed. "Your past behavior opened you up for that," Giles said. "Faith, use the phone here. Time is of the essence and I have a feeling he can help us find the others."

"Okay," the girl said. She made the call and waited for it to be answered.

"Hey, Willie!" She exclaimed. "How's my favorite Normal? You're Good? Great. Hey, is Boss there? Yeah, it's important. You know I wouldn't be calling this close to dawn if it wasn't. Yeah, thanks. Hey, Boss.Listen, you up for a big fight? G says we need the Virtue of Benevolence here on the Hellmouth and help finding the other four since if you can come we'll have three. Really? Cool! Yeah...yeah, I'll see you soon then Boss? Great.
Thanks. Yeah, I'm looking forward to it. Bye Boss...Oh, you will? Cool. I've missed that stake. Yeah..uh-huh...later." She hung up and looked at everyone and smiled. "He'll be here in about 4 hours. He's got a jet. Said he and Willie are gonna come help."

"Thank you, Faith," Giles said.

She nodded and then flopped on the bed looking at other clues. She could see the blatant outlining Giles had done and she wondered if the kids ever knew he did it on purpose so they could feel as smart as they claimed to be. She shook her head knowing Boss would arrive soon and then the explanation to Buffy would have to take place. Oh, well. Here they went again.



END PART 1