Title: The Dream Team

Author: Kate R

abelard950@aol.com

Disclaimer: Remus and co belong to JKR and Xander and co belongs to Joss. The only thing here that is mine is the idea. Darius belongs to Davis/Panzer.
.
Rating: PG-13 to R

Summary: Xander meets a werewolf on his road trip and they form a team after picking up the odds and ends group.

Fandom: Buffy/Harry Potter/Highlander

Pairings: None yet but maybe Giles/Ethan, Xander/Spike

Notes: This is going to be an AU. As in Xander is not going back to Sunnydale right away.


The Dream Team
by Kate R


"Shit, shit, shit," Xander muttered as he ran. How was he supposed to know there ere more than four vampires in that group? He kept running until he turned into a dead end alley and there he found his back against the wall. "Oh, hell," Xander muttered. He looked over his shoulder and groaned seeing the vampires approaching. "Buffy'll love this. The Zeppo killed on his road trip. Guess she's wrong, vampires really don't think she's the center of the universe."

And he fought, swinging pieces of broken wood around, actually managing to stake three before he found himself surrounded.

"Goodbye, Giles," Xander said as he waited for the bites that would kill him. "I'll miss you."

"INCINDIO!" A voice roared. Xander stared slack-jawed, as the vampires all seemed to combust into flame. He watched them all turn in to dust and then, belatedly, he turned to face the person who had saved him.

Standing in the shadows of the alley was a tall man with graying brown hair and blue/grey eyes. Xander started to approach and he automatically flinched back into the shadows.

"I wont hurt you," Xander said cajolingly.

The man seemed to be thinking about it and seemed on the verge of stepping out of the shadows when a rock whistling through the air and striking him in the head took the decision out of his hands.

"There he is!" A voice shouted. "Kill the filthy werewolf!"

And Xander saw the man stumble as more rocks hit him. He seemed to be hitting his knees as more rocks rained down on him and something in Xander snapped. The man's eyes were locked on him and Xander knew the man saw when his eyes turned a glowing green. The hyena was awake. And she recognized this man as not just as Pack Brother, but an alpha. An alpha that could guide her so she didn't go out of control. Xander crouched next to the man shielding his body from the rocks while he gathered the man's stick and the man himself and then hauled up, slinging the man over his shoulder, and then turning and running back to his car. He held on to the man and his stick not knowing why but something told him it was important. He got the man into the car and then threw it in drive and peeled out of the area.

No one stopped him but a few more rocks hit the car.

Xander stuck his hand out the window and gave them the universal peace symbol as he drove.

San Francisco was looking like a good place to go. It was a big city. But then, so was LA and he knew he had to get this guy some help. LA was closer and maybe he could drop in on Angel. The guy needed to rest. The guy whose name he did not even know needed a place to rest and heal. Stoning looked like it hurt.

Xander considered his options and thought, long and hard. LA was closer and there was someone there he knew, if not actually trusted. LA had someone he could take his new friend to, and this guy was now a friend. After mutually saving each other's butts that was a given, they -were- friends. Xander drove and came to a signpost. LA or San Francisco. He thought long and hard and finally decided: LA.

Angel was in LA. Angel could help.

Xander drove, thinking this was going to require some groveling. He was going to have to go to Angel, a man he'd been nothing but a bastard to, and ask him for help. Xander was so not looking forward to this. Not at all.

When they got to LA it was nearly dark and Xander sighed and began looking for Angel's place of business. He was looking for Angel Investigations. He stopped and asked someone who looked like they might know and was given directions. He looked next to him at his passenger who was lying still against the door. He still hadn't woken up and the blood on his forehead was still fresh. Xander swallowed hoping his new friend would be okay. He shook his head and drove then, driving to the building and getting out of the car. He lifted Remus out of the passenger seat and carried him and that stick of his up to the door of the building. He managed to get it open and was going on when he heard a voice he hadn't thought he'd hear again.

"Doyle! Not the single malt! Wesley doesn't need he Good stuff!" Cordelia's voice shrieked and Xander sighed and swallowed. Yet another person he owed a hell of a big apology to was here. Oh, great.

He carried his passenger into the office area where it looked like a party had been happening until they looked up and saw him.

"Holy Mother!" The only person in the room he didn't know said.

Angel was across the room in a second raking his passenger and laying him on the couch Wesley had just vacated.

"What the hell did this?" Angel asked as he saw all the wounds.

"Stoning," Xander said tersely. It was only now he was starting to get angry with this. He had been to focus on getting them here to think about it but now, since Angel was treating his friend; he was now free to get pissed.

"They stoned him because he was a werewolf. Of course, his was after he saved my ass from some vampires so it's not like I could just leave him there. Oh, this is his. It fell out of his hand when the first stone hit him. It looked important so I brought it."

"It's a wand," Wesley said quietly. "If you were in a Wizarding town, it's not surprising he was stoned for being a werewolf. They want them all put down and treat them like they are less than human. Angel?"

"He'll recover, Wes," Angel said as he saw the look of worry but knew Xander would not ask him if he was the last thing on this planet. "He needs some rest and he needs to start eating better but he'll recover. This of course means, Cordelia, you are not going to cook for him."

"Where are putting him?" she asked.

Wesley sighed. "He can have my bed," the Englishman said. "I don't think I'm wanted here so I'll head home. He can stay either here or there with me."

"Where he goes, I go," Xander said.

Wesley looked at him, looked at the man and the others and nodded finally. "Fine, can you carry him? I don't think he can ride behind me on my bike so I hope you have a car."

Xander nodded and they gathered the man and his wand up and carried him out to Xander's car. Xander stared as Wesley got on a motorcycle and
he followed him as he drove the streets to an apartment building. They got out and went in and Xander watched as Wesley set up a guest room for them. He laid the man out on the bed and Wesley walked out to his couch.

"You can have my room, Xander," Wesley said. "I have research to do."

Xander nodded and went into the room. He watched Wesley though, as he sighed and gathered his books. Poor guy was so being treated like an outsider. Xander wondered if when they left, the man wouldn't mind if Wesley came too. Now that he'd had some time to think about it, he knew Wes wasn't as bad as all that. He'd been green in Sunnydale, not bad.

Xander lie back on the bed and fell asleep thinking about that.

The Hyena wanted Wesley as well as the man in its pack. The Alpha as father Alpha and Wesley as something else. He'd see if she got her wish. As soon as the Alpha was awake enough for them to ask. Yeah, that's when it would be fully decided.

And Xander fell asleep.


part 2

He was woken some time later to a cry of fear and pain and he was on his feet and running before he even thought about it. He ran to the room they'd put the man in and he got there in time to see the man backing up so he was against the wall. His eyes were darting around frantically and Xander realized what it was. He'd also realized Wesley had frozen in the doorway and had not approached the man. Xander applauded him mentally. Then, he turned his attention to the man backed against the wall. As soon as he saw Xander, he stopped panicking.

"Eyes," the man whispered.

Xander nodded.

"That's right," Xander said. "My eyes glowed green. My Hyena recognizes you as true pack. No idea why. I'm not a were anything but one of my best friends, Oz, he's a werewolf. My name is Xander, by the way. This is Wesley. Who are you?"

The man looked at them confused as he realized they were not trying to hurt him and he swallowed repeatedly before he answered. "Remus," he croaked out. "My name is Remus."

"Nice to meet you," Xander said. "So, want to sit down before you fall down?"

"I...if you're certain?"

"Yep," Xander said popping his P. "Wes invited us to stay here. He's pack too, by the way. Anyway, we needed a place and Wes had one so here we are."

"Thank you," Remus said. Directing his thanks to both of them. To Xander for saving him from the mob and to Wesley for giving him this place to rest.

"You're quite welcome," Wesley said as he turned to go back to his research.

"Hey, Wes," Xander said. "I noticed you aren't appreciated by Angel and company and I was kind of wondering...well, maybe...if Remus and me stick together for awhile...would you want to come with us?"

"Are you inviting a man you think is a totally worthless to join you?" Wesley asked.

"I see potential in you," Remus said suddenly, speaking in a soft, gravelly voice. "I don't know why we're together besides circumstances and I'm much too world weary to believe in coincidence. The three of us, for some reason, are here. Three people that unless I miss my guess are ignored by everyone around us? Be it because of a condition, past impressions or just because. I saved Xander, walking down an alley, more aptly running down an alley I would never have used, as an escape route because I knew it was a dead end. Something drew me in that direction. Xander saved me for whatever reasons and it was more than just because I had just saved him. Something made his eyes glow green. Something made him help me. Just as something compelled you to offer us a place here. I have vague impressions of what was going on before I woke up. Your supposed friends hurt you. I do not know what they said but I know it hurt you.

"Now, Xander has asked in a round about way if I will travel with him for awhile. As I have no place to go and no place in my world will hire me for work, I say yes. And what of you, Wesley? Will you join us? Stay with us?"

Wesley looked at them, wondering what he should do, and had another flash of the insight that had told him to bring them to his home hit.

"This was right," it was telling him. "This is for you."

"If you're sure," he finally said. Xander looked at Remus and grinned. Remus smiled more subtly and Wesley gave a tenetive smile of his own. He didn't have much to smile about but maybe, just maybe that would change.

"Do you need to pack anything?" Remus asked.

Wesley looked at him, looked around his pretty much bare apartment and shook his head. "I have all the books memorized. I can put things in storage until we have a place and then send for it. I imagine we will eventually have to settle somewhere."

"Yeah," Xander said. "Once we have our whole team together. I have this feeling there are more of us. Screw ups, unwanted-s and outsiders."

"Guess we're going to have to find them all then," Remus said.

He was smiling a bit easer now, something telling him he was safe. Wesley was looking a bit happier and Xander looked ecstatic. Yes, they belonged together. He just knew it.

Now, to find them.

Part 3

Oddly enough, they found the next person without even leaving LA. Why she was there, Xander didn't know. He had thought she was still in a Coma in Sunnydale. Faith was standing looking at Wesley's apartment building when they were going out to get Remus new clothes. And by new, Wesley did not mean Salvation Army or second hand. When Wesley said new, he meant New. As in fresh off the rack, tags intact, clothes that fit properly and were not worn and patched new.

Remus had tried to protest but Xander and Wesley had outvoted him. It was stated plainly that he needed better clothes, especially since they knew they'd be in cold places sometimes. He'd sighed giving in. He knew he wasn't going to win this and he knew, if he was honest with himself, that not only did he need new clothes, he wanted them. And Xander made sure he knew this was an act of friendship. Nothing would be expected in return but since he'd already decided to stay with them, he knew here would be things he could do for their group that would let him repay them.

So, as they were walking out of the building, they found Faith standing staring right at Wesley's window. When she saw them, she approached them slowly as if expecting a slap down. Xander looked about to say something but stopped at a look from Wesley.

"If you give me a chance, Xander," Wesley said. "You have to give the same chance to everyone. Wait and see what she wants."

Xander thought for a moment and nodded as Faith walked up to them. She looked at Xander and her eyes said it all: She was sorry. He nodded at her and looked at Wesley. She followed his gaze and he could see her throat working as she looked at a man she had treated at least as badly as she had been treated because she wasn't Buffy. Like he wasn't Giles.

"Will you be my Watcher?" she croaked out around the lump in her throat. "I...want you to be my Watcher but Giles said I have to ask you."

Wesley looked in to her eyes and saw a sincerity that had been hidden by her being shadowed by Buffy.

Wesley nodded. She was not Buffy, She was Faith: The Vampire Slayer. And it was far past time people realized that.

"I will be your Watcher," he said to her softly. "If you will be my Slayer."

"I will," Faith nodded in the affirmative. "My Watcher."

Wesley looked at Xander and waited. For now, they were taking their cues from him. He was the one choosing his pack. The hyena that possessed him may have been the Alpha for her pack but Xander himself wasn't an Alpha male.

According to their discussion last night, he saw Remus and Giles as his alphas.

That told Wesley they would be asking Giles to join them but not Buffy. Buffy was no longer what Giles needed, Wesley knew. He suspected it was Ethan but where to find him? Oh, well. If he was to join them, Wesley was sure he would.

"So," Faith said as they walked. "What are we doing?"

"We're going to get Remus here some new clothes," Xander said. "Wanna come along and help us pick things for him?"

Faith looked at Wesley who nodded and then she grinned. "Sure" she said. "So, what are we getting him?"

"Clothes. No idea what he wants since he's never bought new for himself before. Apparently where he's from werewolves are considered evil."

"Bull," Faith said. "Slayer here and with absolutely No desire to kill this guy so, no, not evil. So, we're making our Wolf-Man five-by-five?"

"We're trying to," Xander said. "If he'd stop trying to decline everything we want to do for him. This guy takes stubborn and minimalist to a new level."

"Well," Faith said. "That's gonna change. Come on, Wolf-Man. Lets go to the mall."

Remus was stunned by everything that was going on so he followed. The complete acceptance without reservation was something he had not experienced since school. And this group seemed to want him for himself and wanted to help him. They were going to take care of each other, he realized. And that meant he was going to be taken care of too. Just as he was going to take care of them when they needed it.

According to Xander, that's what Families and Packs did. And it felt...right.

Part 4: Giles Plus 2 And Fire

"Dawn!" Xander heard a familiar voice bellow. "Don't run off like that. You scared us both."

"Sorry, Giles," a young voice replied. "Sorry, Ethan."

"Speak of the devils and they shall appear" Xander said to himself as he led his group over towards the voices. He'd been trying to think of a way to go back to Sunnydale and get Giles without alerting Buffy they were taking him and now it was all coming along so well for them. It was like they were just finding what they needed when they needed it. Now, here were Giles, Ethan, and one of the two unknowns. Xander stared when he realized it was Dawn, Buffy's sister. But, the Hyena was including her. Still, someone was missing.

"G-Man," Xander yelled over the crowd noise. He saw the form of Rupert Giles stop and turn to face him.

The man smiled as Xander approached him with his three compatriots. Remus was playing rear guard for some reason.

Xander knew he'd felt something off in the air here so he was applauding the man trusting his gut. Or his wolf, s was the case. Xander knew maybe Giles and him could help Remus accept his wolf. After all, he'd accepted the hyena and was better for it and Giles had accepted Ripper and embraced him and now he was happier than Xander had ever seen him.

"Hey, G-man," Xander said. "We've been looking for you guys."

"For what?" Giles asked. And Xander grinned, that was So Ripper.

"Our group. My Pack. I've been finding the pieces of it. I knew you and Ethan were supposed to be in it and so is Dawn. I found Remus. It was a mutual ass saving. Then we picked up Wesley and Faith in LA. We're still missing someone but I have a feeling he'll be along shortly."

"As you say,' Giles agreed. That told Xander he had been looking for him as well. He noticed Ethan watching Remus and he wondered what it was about until the Chaos Mage smiled.

"Moony," Ethan said. Giles' eye automatically shot to the werewolf who looked at them and then smiled slightly.

"Ripper Giles," he said in acknowledgement. "Ethan 'Chaos' Rayne. Damn, it's good to see you two again. You're right, Xander. They are Pack. They belong with us."

"You guys know each other?" Xander asked.

"Yeah," Giles said. "We all went to school together. We were in the same house. All of us Gryffs. Ethan and Moony there knew the best, harmless jokes. Still do I bet? And Ethan knows some not so harmless ones."

"And he'll use them if provoked," Ethan said with a grin. Remus smiled back as well and they proceeded to walk around the mall. Nearly complete in warriors now. Just one missing, Xander said. But he was close.

Xander knew he was close. His Hyena was telling him and he told Ethan and Remus and the others.

What the hell?" Giles exclaimed at the sound of an explosion outside.

They ran to the window and looked out. A building and three cars were on fire. It looked bad and they all started running, Remus trying to remember water spells while Giles and Ethan were thinking on containment spells. They got to street level and just stared.

A man was standing in front of the blaze just staring at it. He was watching it and then, Giles screamed as a jet of fire shot out of the building and seemed to engulf the man.

"NO!" Giles yelled.

However, as they continued to watch, something amazing happened. All of the fire seemed to be pulled with that jet, out of the building, off the cars, until it suddenly went up in a column and them came back down and there was nothing there. Nothing but the man, standing looking at the burned out building with a slight smile on his face. Everyone who had been trapped inside slowly made his or her way out.

"Are you all right?" Giles asked as they got over to the man.

"I'm fine," he answered. "Quite a bit bigger than a camp fire but still the same rules apply: bring the fire in, send it up, pull it down and absorb."

"Fire bringer," Xander said.

And the man turned to him and saw his glowing green eyes.

"Hyena's child," he returned. "You are the ones I've been waiting for then."

"Lets get off the streets, shall we?" Remus asked.

The man smiled as he looked at everyone. Wesley smiled back nervously but relaxed at his calm look.

"Yes," the man said. "Lets."

"What's your real name?" Dawn asked as they walked towards the mall and blended into the crowds.

"Darius," he said. "My name is Darius."

Part 5: Spiked

They were three a day off the full moon, which would rise the next night. Remus was looking sicker by the hour and Darius was with him, preparing him for something that would ease his burden. It seemed Remus had been chosen to be elevated to something special or maybe it was Royal, depending on how he translated what Ares had said. It did not matter. Soon his pain would end. That was what mattered.

In this place Methos had procured for them, they were preparing. Methos had bought him a mountain that came with a mansion. It was their home. It was surrounded by forest and such and had wildlife Remus could hunt on the full moon should the mood strike him and Darius was pleased with that. It was secluded and gave them privacy and it was safe. That was the most important thing: their safety.

He was walking with Remus; they all were in case Remus needed help to get back, when the attack came. Men in black robes with stupid masks over their faces. They were trying to get to Remus. And Darius was determined they would not have him. All of them were fighting but Darius could not use the fire here. The crowd was too big and too mixed. He could not chance hitting one of his own. Nor could he use his sword. Again the risk of hitting his own was too great. He was using his own spells and sloughing off the curses thrown as his immortal healing kicked in. He saw Methos doing the same: taking the brunt of the curses and letting the others deal with the idiots while they were too stunned to react.

"Xander, look out!" Giles cried in fear. Damn, they should never have gone for a walk at night. They kept losing their opponents and now Xander was abut to get hit with an unforgivable curse.

"I think not, mate," a harsh British accented voice said as the man about to hex Xander was suddenly hurled away.

And Giles stared as Spike was just there suddenly and fighting with them, on their side. And the tide of the battle turned. Spike sent a number of the bad guys running with his demonic visage and his attitude to rock.

"Bollocks," he growled as he finished with the last one. Giles noticed he hadn't fed on any of them and hadn't really killed anyone.

"Spike!" Xander cried with relief.

"Hey now, whelp," Spike said. "Why'd you leave without me? You think I wasn't gonna come back? I promised you know."

"After the way Willow and Buffy wanted you staked I thought you'd think I wasn't worth it."

"Never, luv," Spike said forcefully. "I meant it when I said I'd be back for you and I'm here. Now, you found the Pack, can you introduce me to them?"

"Yeah," Xander said taking strength from the fact that Spike was with him.

"You know Giles and Ethan. This is Wesley, that's Faith and this is Remus. The tall guy there is Darius. And over there, behind Ethan is Dawn, Buffy's sister whom Joyce seems to have given to Giles."

"And their Names, pet?" Spike asked.

And Xander understood. "Giles is Father/Alpha. Ethan is Coyote. Dawn is Green Door and Remus is changing. I'll know what he is after tomorrow night other than Alpha. Faith is Evil Killer. Wesley here is Knowing One and Darius is our Fire Bringer/God Speaker. Guys, this is Spike, Demon Who Loves. He's Pack too, okay?"

"Xander," Giles said with exasperation, "This is Your Pack. You found us all. I think if you say Spike is Pack then he is indeed, Pack. Okay?"

"Okay, Giles. Thanks."

The others all shook their heads chuckling as they went back into the house and Darius finished setting the wards up then and there to repel apparitions and such.

As they walked back into the house, they seemed to have an empty place. A place that wasn't filled yet. Something told Giles though, that it would be soon. It was juts a feeling but it seemed they were being primed for something. A Team, a Pack, a Family. That's who and what they were. Now, if they could just find their last person everything would be great.

All things in their time.

Part 6:

Merge of Moony/Meeting Oz

The moon was high and he had changed. But it was different.

Something was holding his mind, keeping him in control and this place, he knew wasn't physical. It was in his mind. And he was human just like that. And now, stalking out of the shadows towards him was a huge wolf. He knew without thinking it was Moony, his Wolf. And Moony was walking towards him. Prowling but not stalking. The huge wolf was watching him, waiting for him to make the move. And Remus sat and thought about it. Something told him he was in no danger. But, it also told him if he wanted peace within himself, he had to open his arms and embrace the wolf.

He got to his feet slowly and watched. Finally, he looked at Moony and nodded, knowing he had to trust in himself for this to work. He did.

He opened his arm and waited, watching as the wolf gathered itself into a leap and jumped at him. Lunging for him and he waited, with his arms flung wide open. And when he felt Moony about to hit him, he closed his arms around the wolf....And Let go.

___________

Oz watched and waited, wanting to reveal himself to the Alpha that was sitting in the glen. He knew though, something told him, that the Alpha was doing something important. Oz had left Sunnydale, seeking a pack with a strong Alpha that would help him, not try to enslave him, and he had found himself drawn here, to this mountain and Oz/Wolf had come on the full moon and now Oz/Wolf was watching and waiting.

He was staring at the Alpha, waiting for his chance and suddenly felt inexplicably drawn down to where The Alpha was sitting on it's haunches in the glen. He sat in front of the Alpha in a position that mimicked the Ulfric, sitting in the grass.

Oz/Wolf did not know what he was waiting for but when the wash of energy exploded out of the Alpha, it swept him along and he felt...he felt... Exhilarated.

Oz and Wolf, Oz/Wolf, rode the crest of the energy and there were others this incredible energy was touching, a binding and drawing together into a true pack. And Oz/Wolf knew them. He knew Giles/Father Alpha. He knew Ethan/Coyote. He knew Dawn/Green Door. He knew Spike/Demon Who Loves. He knew Faith/Evil Killer. He knew Wesley/Knowing One. He knew Xander/Pack Finder. He didn't Know know Darius/Fire Bringer/God Speaker but he was familiar.

He knew Methos/Ancient Death and now, wrapping around him in a protective bath of energy was Remus/Ulfric, King Wolf of Alphas in this pack. And there, on the fringes, was another. Connor/Blood Finder. And Oz/Wolf, Oz/Song Maker. A Pack, A family, a team made up of the elements everyone only ever dreamed about. A Dream team. And Oz/Song maker was proud to be apart of it.

_________

They came back to themselves, both human, and looked at each other.

"Whoa," Oz said as he realized he was human now and that the man in front of him would control his change until he learned control for himself. "Oh....thanks."

"You're welcome, Oz," Remus said. "That was...New?"

"New is a good word," Oz said. Remus nodded. "Back to the house?"

"Only if you have clothes I can wear," Oz said.

"I'm sure we have something, cub," Remus told him. "Come on, to the house. So we can tell the others what you call us."

"Huh?" Oz asked. Remus smiled as they made their way back to the mansion after stopping to pick up clothes that had been let by the tree for Remus. Emus put the pants on and tossed Oz the shirt that was very long on him and covered him nicely.

"You know," Remus, said as they opened the door and went in to where the others were waiting, all with the same looks of content on their faces.

"The Dream Team."

TBC in: Harry Potter and the Dream Team